What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (15 Viewers)

Sounds like it was another case of the Lions not being able to get the guy they wanted and having to settle for their second (fifth?) choice.

Here's my desperate attempt to find a silver lining: Last time I remember this happening was the 2013 HC search. We were bummed that Whisenhunt turned them down for Tenn and they had to go with Caldwell. Well, he wasn't the best hire ever, but he was sure better than Whiz.  :shrug:

Seeing as the lions have never even been to a super bowl i may just forgive him for that.
If Bevell helps lead the Lions to a Super Bowl I'd be thrilled. If he leads them to a Super Bowl that comes down to the final play I'd be over the moon.

I think we all know that if the Lions ever actually got there, they would lose 55-7 to a Pats team QBd by Tom Brady IV.

The only brightside I see is that Bevell does have a history of throwing the ball deep down field which is something we need. Also he was ran out of Seattle for not being run-heavy enough. In the end, I do worry our GM and coaching staff are living in the past. 

The only brightside I see is that Bevell does have a history of throwing the ball deep down field which is something we need. Also he was ran out of Seattle for not being run-heavy enough. In the end, I do worry our GM and coaching staff are living in the past. 
Interesting.. the FBG blurb goes the other way:

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Bevell interviewed for a few jobs out there but lands with the Lions. He's going to try and get more out of Matthew Stafford and company this year. Bevell loves to run the ball and that should be the emphasis for the Lions offense under his watch. That's potentially good news for Kerryon Johnson.

Heard Dave Birkett last night saying Patricia wants to ground and pound. 

Its a lame duck staff....they both will be fired by this time next year....quinn n matty patty

Interesting.. the FBG blurb goes the other way:
I do think that he will emphasize the run. However, Seattle replaced him with an OC who ran the ball even more. Seattle ran the ball 451 times this year- 62 times more than any other team. They had only 427 pass attempts, lowest in the league. The 2015/16/17 averages were 535 pass attempts and 331 rush attempts.

Ofcourse there are lots of variables besides the OC: OL play, quality of D, SoS, etc. But just at first glance, it seems like Bevell was more pass friendly than one might expect. 

Its a lame duck staff....they both will be fired by this time next year....quinn n matty patty
Probably but I am actually a little more comfortable with Bevell now than I first expected. I am worried though that Patricia is going to force him to run the ball and be too conservative anyway. 

Ilov80s said:
I do think that he will emphasize the run. However, Seattle replaced him with an OC who ran the ball even more. Seattle ran the ball 451 times this year- 62 times more than any other team. They had only 427 pass attempts, lowest in the league. The 2015/16/17 averages were 535 pass attempts and 331 rush attempts.

Ofcourse there are lots of variables besides the OC: OL play, quality of D, SoS, etc. But just at first glance, it seems like Bevell was more pass friendly than one might expect. 
Yes, Seahawks are on the far edge of running games and they have a mobile QB also.

Nothing wrong with running enough to set up the long pass and vice versa. Stretch it out vertically and you create running lanes. Last year's scheme was awful, even allowing for the injuries.

Yes, Seahawks are on the far edge of running games and they have a mobile QB also.

Nothing wrong with running enough to set up the long pass and vice versa. Stretch it out vertically and you create running lanes. Last year's scheme was awful, even allowing for the injuries.
I only listed RB rushes in my earlier numbers. Seahawks were only 12th in QB rushes. RW was averaging 96 rushes a season coming into 2018. He ran 67 times this year. I will say I am much happier with Bevell than with the current Hawks OC.

So simply from a FF POV, since I am not a Lions fan, this sounds like a good hire for owners of Kerryon, yes?
In theory. In Bevell's last 2 years with Seattle, they ranked 32nd and 29th in RB carries though. Is that because the OL was so bad? Was that because their RBs weren't good and often hurt? Was it due to bad game scripts? I think no matter who the OC was going to be, Patricia was going to force a conservative run heavy approach. Lions were top 10 in RB carries. Of the top 10 teams, they were one of only 2 that didn't make the playoffs. In my mind that means they weren't running the ball to control leads but running the ball just to #establishtherun. 

I think Kerryon would have been great this year if they would have used him 20% more and Blount 20% less. Every Blount touch this season was a wasted play. 

B

Another wait and see. 
Probably the best thing I could say about him.

The league is pass heavy and offenses rule; top 4 offenses are playing this Sunday for Conference Championships.

(ASIDE FOR FELLOW LIONS FANS - these are the penultimate games to the Super Bowl, and the Lions played in one only 28 years ago. It didn’t go well. We might play in a second one before you die, presuming you’re a decade or three behind me.)

Meanwhile our HC wants to build a team around ball control & defense. We’re a dome team with a cannon armed QB, but OK, cool, you do this for a living, I haven’t competed in sports in almost 40 years.

:loco:

B

Probably the best thing I could say about him.

The league is pass heavy and offenses rule; top 4 offenses are playing this Sunday for Conference Championships.

(ASIDE FOR FELLOW LIONS FANS - these are the penultimate games to the Super Bowl, and the Lions played in one only 28 years ago. It didn’t go well. We might play in a second one before you die, presuming you’re a decade or three behind me.)

Meanwhile our HC wants to build a team around ball control & defense. We’re a dome team with a cannon armed QB, but OK, cool, you do this for a living, I haven’t competed in sports in almost 40 years.

:loco:
Look what has happened in the playoffs though.  The teams that have dominated the ground game are in the final four.

But I guess you have to able to pass to get to this point.
We just had no serious playmakers this year. Once they moved Tate, the opp focused on KG (who stil made incredible plays on the regular) and neutered the offense. Detroit had no one in the top 100 for separation for most of the year - KG might have snuck into the 90s the last few weeks. The game scripts were out of Pop Warner - Detroit les the league in passes 5 yards or less.

I’m disgusted with Stafford rn but he’s got a bucketful of excuses - most sacks the last couple years, the trade, lousy pass defense with no rush, et al. That contract...would love to move on to a game manager at a cheaper price point, but tilting at windmills....he’s the man for at least two more years.

Look what has happened in the playoffs though.  The teams that have dominated the ground game are in the final four.

True. And I think of the 12 playoff teams, 11 were in the top 15 rushing for the year.
Winning teams tend to have more rushes and rushing attempts because they are winning and the other teams are losing. For example it’s no surprise the Pats ran the ball way more than the Chargers given the score. Brady still threw 44 times for 343.Saints had success being pretty balanced ced but 55% of their plays were passes, 69% of their yards and all their TDs came through the air. This also explains why so many of the top rushing teams make the playoffs. The only 2 non playoff teams in the top 10 for RB rush attempts were Detroit and SF. 49ers lost their QB and didn’t have many reliable passing options outside of their 2nd year TE so I can see why they might focus on the run. Detroit is just inexplicable when you reliaze 154 of them were to Blount. Wasted plays. He averaged 2.7 ypc. Just such a dumb no upside play call. Lions 2018 was a very poorly coached team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patricia needs to adopt the General Patton approach to offense:

Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything -- except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ###. We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose!

Kyle Van Noy playing in his 3rd Super Bowl. Suh in his first.  Both played well yesterday.

Did you hear Suhs interview after the game?  Sounded like he was on Adderall or speed.

Lions need to get aggressive and try to add Kareem Hunt. With a suspension looming they should be able to get him at a lower contract than he is worth.

It would be liking getting a free first rd pick.    A Johnson-Hunt combo would be one of the tops in the NFL.

I know that some will complain but make no mistake..Hunt will be signed by some team so why not the Lions?

Lions need to get aggressive and try to add Kareem Hunt. With a suspension looming they should be able to get him at a lower contract than he is worth.

It would be liking getting a free first rd pick.    A Johnson-Hunt combo would be one of the tops in the NFL.

I know that some will complain but make no mistake..Hunt will be signed by some team so why not the Lions?
Because women run the team?

Da Guru said:
Need more than one RB in todays NFL. 

Why not add talent when it will not cost a player or draft pick?
I agree we need another back but is he the guy want? Has baggage and is likely going to be suspended to start the year. 

I agree we need another back but is he the guy want? Has baggage and is likely going to be suspended to start the year. 
Well he won the rushing title last year and will only be 23 this season.  Lets be real..the NFL is not a bunch of choir boys. Hunt screwed up but make no mistake he will be back in the NFL next season on some team.  Lions need talent everywhere so why not Detroit?

From Lion wire: Should Lions pursue Kareem Hunt?

Kareem Hunt would be an excellent fit with the Lions in Darrell Bevell’s offensive scheme. With Kerryon Johnson already in place, Hunt would add a formidable pairing who can thrive in both the run and receiving game. His acceleration, vision and balance are all great complements to Johnson.

If all goes well, Hunt emerges as the lead dog and Johnson, who lost nearly half his rookie season to injury, becomes a great No. 2. That’s an ideal situation. Even better, Hunt’s price tag shouldn’t be too high because of the off-field baggage and controversy.

If it doesn’t work with Hunt, at least the Lions tried to add an impact talent with the chance of hitting it big, and did so without giving away anything.

Well he won the rushing title last year and will only be 23 this season.  Lets be real..the NFL is not a bunch of choir boys. Hunt screwed up but make no mistake he will be back in the NFL next season on some team.  Lions need talent everywhere so why not Detroit?

From Lion wire: Should Lions pursue Kareem Hunt?

Kareem Hunt would be an excellent fit with the Lions in Darrell Bevell’s offensive scheme. With Kerryon Johnson already in place, Hunt would add a formidable pairing who can thrive in both the run and receiving game. His acceleration, vision and balance are all great complements to Johnson.

If all goes well, Hunt emerges as the lead dog and Johnson, who lost nearly half his rookie season to injury, becomes a great No. 2. That’s an ideal situation. Even better, Hunt’s price tag shouldn’t be too high because of the off-field baggage and controversy.

If it doesn’t work with Hunt, at least the Lions tried to add an impact talent with the chance of hitting it big, and did so without giving away anything.
I just don't think the Lions are going to pursue him. Quinn has spoken multiple times about wanting high character people and that there is no tolerance for this kind of off the field behavior. I doubt he or Patricia want more questions about the rape charge the head coach had filed against him. I see no chance in the Lions signing Hunt. I would expect Carlos Hyde or Rod Smith to come to be the clear backup to Kerryon.

I just don't think the Lions are going to pursue him. Quinn has spoken multiple times about wanting high character people and that there is no tolerance for this kind of off the field behavior. I doubt he or Patricia want more questions about the rape charge the head coach had filed against him. I see no chance in the Lions signing Hunt. I would expect Carlos Hyde or Rod Smith to come to be the clear backup to Kerryon.
Quinn interviewed Joe Mixon twice before the draft last year.  The Lions have 1 playoff win in 28 years....think about that, it is hard to believe. So character is good but talent prevails.

All Quinn has to say is "We had a great talk with Kareem and he is really sorry and wants to make it up and contribute to the team and community and is going to speak to youth groups and we want to help him do that..so lets give a welcome to the newest Detroit Lion and NLF rushing leader Kareem Hunt!"

Quinn interviewed Joe Mixon twice before the draft last year.  The Lions have 1 playoff win in 28 years....think about that, it is hard to believe. So character is good but talent prevails.

All Quinn has to say is "We had a great talk with Kareem and he is really sorry and wants to make it up and contribute to the team and community and is going to speak to youth groups and we want to help him do that..so lets give a welcome to the newest Detroit Lion and NLF rushing leader Kareem Hunt!"
and then field a whole new series of questions about how the coach maybe raped a woman. I could be wrong but I think there is a 1 perent chance Hunt is a Lion next year. 

and then field a whole new series of questions about how the coach maybe raped a woman. I could be wrong but I think there is a 1 perent chance Hunt is a Lion next year. 
Would you want Hunt for a reasonable contract with behavior clauses?

Would you want Hunt for a reasonable contract with behavior clauses?
It would depend on what he is like in person. Besdies the incident on video, he also lied to the team about it which I think is underplayed reason why he got tossed so quickly. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions sign only in-house free agents during the early free agency period. Ansah will likely earn them a 3rd round comp pick for 2020 so long as they don't dip into free agency and sign any replacement player. That reason alone makes me think the chances of signing Hunt are about zero.

In fact I find the whole prioritizing "character" charade to be a farce in the NFL in general.  Regardless of team.

Jim Bob Cooter has been arrested twice (DUI and aggravated burglary).. before being hired.

I imagine with a little googling we could do this all day... with every team in the league.

Silly to argue any of them are better than the other.

If that video hadn't surfaced, Hunt is still on any team in the league.

But it does exist.
Right.  And the only reason Hunt isn't on an NFL team (Chiefs, Lions, or otherwise)... isn't that those events happened, has nothing to do with Hunt's "character".  It is public reaction to the video.

There is a wide receiver on the Chiefs with a much worse history of violence and violence against women.  No video. 

Try telling yourself the Lions don't want Tyreek Hill because their owner is morally superior.

eta - "much worse" is subjective.  

Users who are viewing this thread