What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (5 Viewers)

I was listening to on the couch in the car earlier today and Paul Charchian said he thinks Matthew Stafford will be on another team in 2021.

Any substance to this idea? What have you all heard about this?

Speculation by writers regarding a rebuild and that Stafford for whatever reason doesn't win or have the "it" factor.

Would be a mistake IMO. 
Yea that take is nonsense. I’d love to see Stafford with the 49ers and Shanahan’s O, coupled with that D or maybe at the Colts with Reich, a good line and good D.

He has mainly been surrounded by utter mediocrity ( albeit with some decent weapons at times ).

EG okay we actually have a great D and are gunning for a playoff run ? We unfortunately have an O neutered by full frontal Lombardi. 

Looks like our O is capable of big numbers ? You can bet our D will be historically bad at the same time 

He’s only has two playoff games as a fully fledged adult, on the road to Seahawks and Dallas and I don’t at all out either loss on his shoulders. 

If only we could just see him with an average OC, a good line and good run game, coupled with an average to slightly above average defence at the same time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea that take is nonsense. I’d love to see Stafford with the 49ers and Shanahan’s O, coupled with that D or maybe at the Colts with Reich, a good line and good D.

He has mainly been surrounded by utter mediocrity ( albeit with some decent weapons at times ).

EG okay we actually have a great D and are gunning for a playoff run ? We unfortunately have an O neutered by full frontal Lombardi. 

Looks like our O is capable of big numbers ? You can bet our D will be historically bad at the same time 

He’s only has two playoff games as a fully fledged adult, on the road to Seahawks and Dallas and I don’t at all out either loss on his shoulders. 

If only we could just see him with an average OC, a good line and good run game, coupled with an average to slightly above average defence at the same time. 

Yeah, but with Rod Wood and SFH picking the new regime, it is doubtful that ever happens.  IMO what you stated falls directly in line with picking lousy GMs.  If you look at the super stars the Lions have drafted, where did they draft them?  Barry Sanders #3, Calvin Johnson #2, N. Suh #2.  They haven't been able to get reliable starters when drafting in the top 10, let alone hitting consistently in the later rounds.  When you can't even find the studs when you pretty much have the pick of the board, there is ZERO chance you can build a complete team.

This organization has to basically luck into a decent GM/HC combo. As the comments above note, it's not like they have football people making the decisions.

Speculation by writers regarding a rebuild and that Stafford for whatever reason doesn't win or have the "it" factor.

Would be a mistake IMO. 
Stafford is a good, not great QB. Stafford has made some boneheaded mistakes this year but has also played very well.  Drafting a QB early is always a crap shoot. Stafford has 2 years left on his contract so not sure what the new regime will do with him.  If they are going for "win now" he stays.  Rebuild and he will be traded.

Sad that Stafford is associated with a losing franchise. I think fans will appreciate Stafford much more after he is gone.

Considering the trash we had prior to Stafford, I'm very appreciative of his overall play.  He's definitely been good enough had the team built something better around him to win some playoff games.  I don't think we should get rid of him just to get rid of him, but they most definitely need to figure out a succession plan coming out of this draft.

The offense looks much less vanilla since Patricia was fired. Was he calling the plays for both sides of the ball?

Wish they would've blown it up last year so we wouldn't be competing with so many other teams for coaches and GMs. Plus a good GM would've taken one of the QBs over Okuda or at least pulled off a trade for another 1st.

Drafting has always been their biggest problem. I'd figure out who the best player scout in the league is and make them the GM.

Lions hired Chris Spielman to be a full-time assistant to owner Sheila Ford Hamp and President Rod Wood.  I like this move A LOT.  There were rumors of hiring Spielman as a GM, but since he really didn't have the requisite experience, I thought that would be a bad idea.  But having a "football guy" to help in the search and in day-to-day running of the team has been one of the biggest gaps.

Spielman is widely respected in the NFL and in Detroit, so this could be the first sign there might actually be hope.  Having a brother who is also a successful GM could be helpful too.

Bringing in Barry Sanders to aid in the search is good too.  Now, if only they'd just pay Calvin Johnson his money back and repair that bridge, too! 

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/12/chris-spielman-hired-full-time-by-lions-barry-sanders-comes-aboard-as-advisor-to-search.html?

Lions hired Chris Spielman to be a full-time assistant to owner Sheila Ford Hamp and President Rod Wood.  I like this move A LOT.  There were rumors of hiring Spielman as a GM, but since he really didn't have the requisite experience, I thought that would be a bad idea.  But having a "football guy" to help in the search and in day-to-day running of the team has been one of the biggest gaps.

Spielman is widely respected in the NFL and in Detroit, so this could be the first sign there might actually be hope.  Having a brother who is also a successful GM could be helpful too.
Since the alternative might have been just the retired tennis player and the family's favorite bean counter running the search for GM & HC, this does come as good news.  Hopefully Spielman can finally convince the Fords that rewarding loyalty within is not as important as getting the best people for the job.

Stafford is a good, not great QB. Stafford has made some boneheaded mistakes this year but has also played very well.  Drafting a QB early is always a crap shoot. Stafford has 2 years left on his contract so not sure what the new regime will do with him.  If they are going for "win now" he stays.  Rebuild and he will be traded.

Sad that Stafford is associated with a losing franchise. I think fans will appreciate Stafford much more after he is gone.
He’s the best Lions QB of my lifetime, but he’s still an average NFL QB at best 

pencil him in for that 10th-20th best QB every year

im fine with moving on if we can get anything of substance 

I Remember how poor Lions QB play was before Stafford got here. Many seem to want to blame him for team not winning.

Lions just seem to have a way of making top talent not wanting to play for the team anymore. Haven't heard Stafford say anything like this but you just wonder what he's thinking.

Just a lot of hope that Sheila can bring a competitive fire and accountability to the Lions. 

I just think that trying to be NE was doomed from the start.

Not that it matters but it appears the Lions will be without most of their coaching staff including HC Darrell Beval, the 3 coordinators, and 3 position coaches tomorrow against TB.

WR coach Robert Price will be running the show.

There's 0% chance the NFL would've denied the request to move the game had it been one of the playoff-bound teams or popular teams.

Lions without Stafford are the suck

Lions defense lacks talent and smarts at most positions

Swift can play, makes great cuts.

How in the world was that roughing the passer?

Lions do not have a competent backup QB. 

Lions without Stafford are the suck

Lions do not have a competent backup QB. 
Best reason to draft or trade for a QB isn't Stafford.  It's simply having a plan B when he is out.  Check their record the last couple of years without him in case anyone wants to argue.

Leroy Hoard said:
Best reason to draft or trade for a QB isn't Stafford.  It's simply having a plan B when he is out.  Check their record the last couple of years without him in case anyone wants to argue.
Really not about record with Stafford anymore.  This team is still 2-3 years away from being good.  Roster is devoid of talent.    I want Stafford to go somewhere where he has a chance to win and I will root for him to win.   That won`t be here.

Why did Quinn sign Daniels for 3 years??   Jeff Driscoll was better for the minimum.

There's 0% chance the NFL would've denied the request to move the game had it been one of the playoff-bound teams or popular teams.
Makes you think if that would have occured.

Would like to see some fire from mgt when the Lions get jobbed by the refs or the league. 

Really not about record with Stafford anymore.  This team is still 2-3 years away from being good.  Roster is devoid of talent.    I want Stafford to go somewhere where he has a chance to win and I will root for him to win.   That won`t be here.

Why did Quinn sign Daniels for 3 years??   Jeff Driscoll was better for the minimum.

Because he was a bad GM.

Because he was a bad GM.
Amazing how bad teams prove it over and over.   First drive Lions sack Brady on a 3-11...oh wait Griffin who did not get the sack was was offsides.  3-6 and Brady picks up 8.  4-5 plays later TD!     Not that it would have made a differnce but it was so Lions.

Yesterday the defense just plain quit.  The one drive they ran 4-5 plays in a row right up the middle for 7-8-9-10 yards a play.   Looked the the defense was not even trying.  This team is in bad shape.

When Caldwell took over the Lions were at their peak of talent and ready to win.   Stafford, Calvin, Suh, Levy, Bush, Tate, Ziggy,Slay, Quinn, those guys were star players in their prime.  Not sure there is one guy on defense now that is a quality plus player.

Whoever takes over next it will be like an expansion team.

Amazing how bad teams prove it over and over.   First drive Lions sack Brady on a 3-11...oh wait Griffin who did not get the sack was was offsides.  3-6 and Brady picks up 8.  4-5 plays later TD!     Not that it would have made a differnce but it was so Lions.

Yesterday the defense just plain quit.  The one drive they ran 4-5 plays in a row right up the middle for 7-8-9-10 yards a play.   Looked the the defense was not even trying.  This team is in bad shape.

When Caldwell took over the Lions were at their peak of talent and ready to win.   Stafford, Calvin, Suh, Levy, Bush, Tate, Ziggy,Slay, Quinn, those guys were star players in their prime.  Not sure there is one guy on defense now that is a quality plus player.

Whoever takes over next it will be like an expansion team.
There WAS talent, but that doesn't mean that the GM had done a good job.  If you recall, they were among the league worst at managing the cap.  Stafford and Suh's contracts were repeatedly re-worked in order to get short-term cap relief.  Then it got to the point where their cap hits were ridiculous, which is why Suh walked and all they got out of it was a compensatory pick.

And being realistic, they had a lot of talent FOR A LIONS' team.  They still didn't have any real depth and were probably no better than middle of the league in terms of starters.  I would agree that Stafford, Suh, and Calvin were star players, but the others were good players, IMO.

One thing I will say is that at least the 2016 team played with heart, which has been lacking since.  That was the season where Stafford set the record with 8 4th quarter comeback wins.  The current team set the record for consecutive double-digit leads lost.

There WAS talent, but that doesn't mean that the GM had done a good job.  If you recall, they were among the league worst at managing the cap.  Stafford and Suh's contracts were repeatedly re-worked in order to get short-term cap relief.  Then it got to the point where their cap hits were ridiculous, which is why Suh walked and all they got out of it was a compensatory pick.

And being realistic, they had a lot of talent FOR A LIONS' team.  They still didn't have any real depth and were probably no better than middle of the league in terms of starters.  I would agree that Stafford, Suh, and Calvin were star players, but the others were good players, IMO.

One thing I will say is that at least the 2016 team played with heart, which has been lacking since.  That was the season where Stafford set the record with 8 4th quarter comeback wins.  The current team set the record for consecutive double-digit leads lost.
True and I did mean talent for a Lions team. In reality the Lions were punished for drafting so high for 3-4 years in a row before the rookie cap slot was put in.  They had to overpay Stafford, Suh and Calvin and that killed their cap.

Mayhew did an average job at best but he was much better than Quinn.

I always thought the "comeback" wins stat was skewed.  In many of those games Stafford played terrible the first half so they had to come back.

Just in really bad shape. You can see that Stafford was reason they were competitive.

Only 5 draft picks next year. So do you just gut yourself and trade your best player Stafford for draft choices and eat all the dead cap dollars and start from rock bottom rebuilding the team? We do not have any competent QBs except Stafford. 

it looks like the OL is a strength if healthy. Swift is a good back needs to hang on to ball. WRs will we have any? Golliday is good but cant stay healthy. Do you give him big buck to stay? Amendola is OK but limited. Jones is a decent WR2.

Defense just yuk.

Lions big free agent signings busted... Daniel, Flowers, Vatai

Quinn drove team into ground. Bad luck, injuries but poor choices on draft picks. 

Okudah. Didn't show much but still young and not much of a training camp. If Sheila had pulled the trigger earlier on Quinn/Patricia we wouldn't have chosen Okudah and wouldn't be in as big a mess.

As an aside still grinds me to see Aaron Donald dominating on defense when Lions could have had him in draft.

Anyway what would you guys do if GM?  Gosh I hope we can find someone who can evaluate talent and someone who can develop it. Just so tired of losing.

Just in really bad shape. You can see that Stafford was reason they were competitive.

Only 5 draft picks next year. So do you just gut yourself and trade your best player Stafford for draft choices and eat all the dead cap dollars and start from rock bottom rebuilding the team? We do not have any competent QBs except Stafford. 

it looks like the OL is a strength if healthy. Swift is a good back needs to hang on to ball. WRs will we have any? Golliday is good but cant stay healthy. Do you give him big buck to stay? Amendola is OK but limited. Jones is a decent WR2.

Defense just yuk.

Lions big free agent signings busted... Daniel, Flowers, Vatai

Quinn drove team into ground. Bad luck, injuries but poor choices on draft picks. 

Okudah. Didn't show much but still young and not much of a training camp. If Sheila had pulled the trigger earlier on Quinn/Patricia we wouldn't have chosen Okudah and wouldn't be in as big a mess.

As an aside still grinds me to see Aaron Donald dominating on defense when Lions could have had him in draft.

Anyway what would you guys do if GM?  Gosh I hope we can find someone who can evaluate talent and someone who can develop it. Just so tired of losing.
I would like to see them trade Stafford and as many players as they can trying to get more draft picks.  I'd let Marvin Jones and Amendola walk in free agency.  Golladay is the tough decision, but if he's looking for top WR money, then I'd let him walk too - too many injuries.  But if he would sign for 2nd tier WR money, then I'd bring him back.

As far as the dead cap space, I wouldn't worry about it.  Stafford's contract would really be a bargain for a contending team.  His cap numbers are worse than actual salary, so the Lions could possibly get a fair bit back for him from a contender.  I like Stafford, and would like to see him win a Super Bowl, but that isn't happening in Detroit any time soon. 

Unfortunately, most of the free agents (i.e. Patriots) that the Lions brought in probably don't have much, if any, trade value.  Beyond Stafford, who could the Lions trade to bring in a day 2 pick? 

As it stands right now the Lions will only be $2.17m under the cap in 2021.

They're in position to draft a good, cheap, rookie QB, free up a lot of cap space and get a decent pick in return for Stafford. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't trade him.

WFT, NE, SF, and NO should alI be suitors.

They're in position to draft a good, cheap, rookie QB, free up a lot of cap space and get a decent pick in return for Stafford. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't trade him.

Draft picks are only valuable if you draft well. Dont @ 50% of first rounders bust?

Stafford will certainly help any of those teams next year. Hope he wouldn't go to Washington he deserves better.

Good QBs are now playing into late thirties early 40s. Stafford could be around for a while and help a Detroit team make the transition for new coach and GM

Having seen how poor Lions QB play has been before Stafford I'm reluctant to give him away for a prospect. 

My hope is that a new GM would bring in better players with new coaches to develop talent.

Just moved to the Detroit area, eh? 

Welcome, and you'll figure out how to do a Michigan left after getting honked at about 10 times.
Been a Lions fan since 1957. Was seven year years old and listened to the Lions last championship game on a transistor radio.

I'll give Sheila a chance till she proves herself wrong.

I really want to see an owner that gives the league an earful when we get screwed over. Other Fords always turned the other cheek and thought it was beneath them to put up a squawk.

I've seen my dad and uncles, and the beaten down way they approach their football fandom.  If you believe that this organization is capable of bringing in (1) a competent GM who has a staff of people who are qualified to identify NFL-level talent, (2) players who are "better" than the dregs they've identified over the past 63 years, and (3) a coach who can turn these lumps of clay into Pro Bowl caliber players.  

You sir, are not a Loins fan.  You're insane.

I would add Indy to that list too.

Been a Lions fan since 1957. Was seven year years old and listened to the Lions last championship game on a transistor radio.

I'll give Sheila a chance till she proves herself wrong.

I really want to see an owner that gives the league an earful when we get screwed over. Other Fords always turned the other cheek and thought it was beneath them to put up a squawk.
Because tax deductions don't care if you win or lose.  Seems that's what this team has always been for them.  They obviously never cared about winning.

I've seen my dad and uncles, and the beaten down way they approach their football fandom.  If you believe that this organization is capable of bringing in (1) a competent GM who has a staff of people who are qualified to identify NFL-level talent, (2) players who are "better" than the dregs they've identified over the past 63 years, and (3) a coach who can turn these lumps of clay into Pro Bowl caliber players.  

You sir, are not a Loins fan.  You're insane.
OK I'm insane but still going to give Sheila a chance till she shows otherwise. 

Do you like Speilman being hired full time as consultant? I do, he has a passion for the game and his brother has had some success as a GM for Vikes.

But it could confuse accountability and lines of authority if his boundaries are cloudy.

Do you like Speilman being hired full time as consultant? I do, he has a passion for the game and his brother has had some success as a GM for Vikes.

But it could confuse accountability and lines of authority if his boundaries are cloudy.
Not particularly, no.  He has rougnly the same credentials as Matt Millen did when they brought him on board.  Spielman was a fiesty player who was fun to watch, and he is a decent game analyst.  Does he have any experience in actual football operations?

Just hate those gray/blue uniforms. Dull and boring. I bet the players do not like wearing them.

NFL is too greedy 
Those all gray uniforms make a dull team look even worse.  They are the worst. Not a big fan of the all blue either but they are 100% better than the all gray.

So as a long-suffering Lions fan is there not an option where we keep Stafford, extend Golladay and just fix the  :X  defense?  I don't get tearing it to the ground and rebuilding for the next few years around whatever GM we get in here.  The defense literally cannot get any worse but we have pieces on the offense to put points up.  Stafford has been the only constant good thing about this team for years.  He's probably in a spot financially where he can play out his contract but I think we should be open to extending him.  Letting our best player walk in the prime of his career seems pretty silly.

Not particularly, no.  He has rougnly the same credentials as Matt Millen did when they brought him on board.  Spielman was a fiesty player who was fun to watch, and he is a decent game analyst.  Does he have any experience in actual football operations?
Difference in being a consultant as opposed to GM. I will say I was very opposed to the Millen hiring for the reasons you gave. I was definitely in the minority at the time as many were ecstatic about the Millen hire because he was a "football guy".

Now the thing about the Spielman hiring as a consultant is "What is his job description?" He was hired full time and gave up his other job as analyst so is being well paid and will likely have a say in GM/Coach hiring and other operations. Is Sheila viewing Spielman as a future GM candidate who is being groomed for the job?  Spielman's brother Rick has been Vikings GM for @ 9 years.

Lions couldn't bring Spielman in as GM or perhaps even assistant GM because of the fan outcry that would occur with the fans remembering the Millen disaster. The new GM isn't going to want Spielman acting independently and having Sheila's ear and because of Spielman's brother may be viewed as  a potential threat. To avert a civil war and power struggle there will need to be clear boundaries set regarding Spielman. It could work very well as Spielman has professed to being a team first guy (something Millen wasn't) but the GM will need a healthy ego.

Spielman was a passionate Lions player and that's something the team needs. I hope that this works out.

Lions couldn't bring Spielman in as GM or perhaps even assistant GM because of the fan outcry that would occur with the fans remembering the Millen disaster. The new GM isn't going to want Spielman acting independently and having Sheila's ear and because of Spielman's brother may be viewed as  a potential threat. To avert a civil war and power struggle there will need to be clear boundaries set regarding Spielman. It could work very well as Spielman has professed to being a team first guy (something Millen wasn't) but the GM will need a healthy ego.
If this is true, then I absolutely HATE the move.  There's nothing worse than a GM with no authority and his replacement looking over his shoulder.  It will end poorly for everyone, and the franchise will be SOL for years to come.

So as a long-suffering Lions fan is there not an option where we keep Stafford, extend Golladay and just fix the  :X  defense?  I don't get tearing it to the ground and rebuilding for the next few years around whatever GM we get in here.  The defense literally cannot get any worse but we have pieces on the offense to put points up.  Stafford has been the only constant good thing about this team for years.  He's probably in a spot financially where he can play out his contract but I think we should be open to extending him.  Letting our best player walk in the prime of his career seems pretty silly.
The Lions' expected salary cap number in 2021 will be $2,171,211 per spotrac, and they have a number of players on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball that they will not be able to re-sign -- do you want their top-3 WR's to leave because prior GM's were idiots (and that's just WR's on the offensive side of the ball)?

Just look at the numbers ($ not stats) and who is about to leave (or will next year) and that tells the whole story.

IF the organization had been skilled in drafting talent, they may have been able to whether this storm of GM-malpractice.

IF....

Personally, I REALLY like the Spielman move.  I would not have wanted him as the GM, because I don't think he has the requisite experience.  But in this position, I think he can help the owner/president making better decisions from a football standpoint, instead of just from a bottom-line standpoint.  His passion and fire as a player shows me that he is a true competitor, and I don't think that ever changes.  I don't think he will be able to stand by if they continue to put a crap product on the field.  I think that he will want to win, and 60+ years of ownership by the Fords haven't shown that they care about that too much.

I think they've never had a "football guy" helping them make good football decisions when it comes to hiring GMs and coaches, and they've made too many bad hires.

I also think that Spielman's brother has done a good job as GM in Minnesota, and having those types of relationships will only help.

higgins said:
The Lions' expected salary cap number in 2021 will be $2,171,211 per spotrac, and they have a number of players on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball that they will not be able to re-sign -- do you want their top-3 WR's to leave because prior GM's were idiots (and that's just WR's on the offensive side of the ball)?

Just look at the numbers ($ not stats) and who is about to leave (or will next year) and that tells the whole story.

IF the organization had been skilled in drafting talent, they may have been able to whether this storm of GM-malpractice.

IF....
Looks like $9.36mm if I am reading right?  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/2021/ Not great for sure.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/detroit-lions/

We can get rid of all these guys at those prices other than Golladay and Okwara who it looks like we have an option on but will probably want to be paid.   Marvin contract worked out, not sure what he would want to stay but I think we'll be okay with KG/Hock/???/Cephus/Allison?

Pretty depressing all the contracts we handed out for defenders the last couple years.

Newest GM rumors:

https://www.cbssports.com

Lions attempting to poach two-time Super Bowl champion Seahawks GM John Schneider, per report

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:02 am ET

1 min read

The Detroit Lions are attempting to hire Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider to the same role, according to NFL Media's Ian Rapoport. Schneider has been with the Seahawks for 11 seasons and constructed the Super Bowl XLVIII roster.

The Wisconsin native has been known for his middle to late round draft finds like Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Tyler Lockett and K.J. Wright. The presence of Wilson has enabled the franchise to stay afloat while deconstructing that Super Bowl roster and re-building. 

Schneider is known for trading out of the first round and not being afraid to make big trades. His recent selections in the first round have not been as well-liked in the scouting community. Seattle acquired tight end Jimmy Graham from the Saints in exchange for center Max Unger and a first-round pick in 2015. Last year, the team acquired safety/linebacker Jamal Adams and a fourth-round pick from the Jets in exchange for safety Bradley McDougald, first and third-round picks in the 2021 NFL Draft and a first round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Prior to his time in Seattle, Schneider had served in executive roles with Washington, Green Bay and Kansas City, including being a part of the Packers' Super Bowl XXXI victory. 

According to CBS Sports NFL insider Jason La Canfora, the Lions also covet Steelers' Kevin Colbert.

NFL.com also linked Steelers VP of football administration Omar Khan, Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds, Saints VP/assistant GM of pro personnel Terry Fontenot, Seahawks VP of football operations Scott Fitterer, Rams college scouting director Brad Holmes, Vikings assistant GM George Paton, Cowboys VP of player personnel Will McClay, and Patriots front office consultant Eliot Wolf to the vacancy.

Users who are viewing this thread