What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (13 Viewers)

Twitter fans think we should have taken JOK (who is under 220)

think we can get Cam McGrone or Chazz Surratt at #101 to fill that run n chase role

(less talented but it's a devalued position in today's league)

Levi will be more impactful IMO

Twitter fans think we should have taken JOK (who is under 220)

think we can get Cam McGrone or Chazz Surratt at #101 to fill that run n chase role

(less talented but it's a devalued position in today's league)

Levi will be more impactful IMO
I am not really into these super undersized hybrid S-LB guys. Levi seems like they are looking AD lite 

PFF gives you a letter grade for each pick & overall draft. Just OK overall.

PFN simulator brings a lot of trade offers; it’s fun trading out of the 7th pick and if you make a few trades you end up having 8-10 picks to work with plus a couple 2022s. Also their player profiles have more info.

:nerd:
Here's Scouting reports from simulators on Levi

PFN  Rated #41

Positives

Explosive, athletic defensive tackle who has blocked punts in the past. Fires off the snap, gets a lot of force going up the field, and can be tough to stop. Clogs the middle of the line, stands up blockers, and works his hands throughout the action. Bull rushes opponents up the field and collapses the pocket. Very intense and chases the action.

Negatives

Really not much of a pass rusher. Must improve his playing balance.

Analysis

Onwuzurike showed the ability to be a game changer at Washington, occupying blocks, penetrating the line of scrimmage, and even getting out in space to make plays. He comes with a large upside, but must finish his game to grab hold of the starting job in the NFL.

PFF   Rated #78

We never got to see what the next step could be from Onwuzurike after earning an impressive 82.5 overall grade in his lone year as a starter in 2019. A 2020 opt-out, Onwuzurike still looked inconsistent in the week of practices at the Senior Bowl. He’s a three-technique at the next level with one of the best first steps in the class.

As for the pick, seems pretty good value at that spot.  Hard to knock building from front to back, but man it's been so long since we've had a decent LB.  I'm not sure this was the best draft for one anyway but that always seems to be such a huge need.

As for the pick, seems pretty good value at that spot.  Hard to knock building from front to back, but man it's been so long since we've had a decent LB.  I'm not sure this was the best draft for one anyway but that always seems to be such a huge need.
The best justification for I think is there will be WRs, LBs, Edge rushers and Ss available later. DT is the one position of need where you can't say that - Barmore and Levi seem to be the clear cut Tier 1.

Love his attitude, high motor. MCDC is putting his imprint on this draft.

Lot of directions they could go here at #72:

CB - Melifonwu Syracuse
S - Nasirileen FSU (or Johnson / Washington)
Edge - Ossasi Texas or Perkins Oklahoma    
LB - Jabril Cox LSU   

WR - Wallace OSU, either Clemson WR, Amon-Ra St Brown, Brown....all better than Nico IMO

I like Cox but lots of talent to choose from

I could see them doubling down at WR, DB, even LB

at no time did I consider they go b2b at DT
The plan is clear. Build from the inside out, get depth at the LOS. They needed the DT depth. Outside of Brockers, there was nothing of any proven value there. 

I could see them doubling down at WR, DB, even LB

at no time did I consider they go b2b at DT
It's a bit of a headscratcher. I mean, yeah, build the lines, makes sense. But still leaves us with this side of warm bodies starting at a couple of positions.

It's a bit of a headscratcher. I mean, yeah, build the lines, makes sense. But still leaves us with this side of warm bodies starting at a couple of positions.
Still hoping for Cam McGrone or Chazz Surratt 

seriously lacking speed at the second level

Alim McNeill

PFN

PFN  #56

explosive one-gap defensive lineman who can be used at nose tackle or as a three-technique lineman. Fires off the snap with a quick first step, plays with outstanding pad level, and gets leverage on opponents. Fires his hands into blockers, working them to protect himself or get off opponents. Focused on by opponents and attracts double-team blocks yet holds his ground. Fluid moving laterally, displays good change-of-direction skills, and shows power in his game. Shoots through gaps and overruns defenders to penetrate the line of scrimmage.

Negatives

Out-positioned by a single blocker and gets caught up in the wash. Average pass rusher.

Analysis

McNeill is a short, squat-bodied defensive tackle who can be used in a variety of schemes at the next level. Though not a pass rusher, he can be a disruptive lineman and will start in the right system.

PFF  #54

McNeil earned the highest run-defense grade among the country's defensive tackles this past season. He’s an immovable force on the nose at 320 pounds and has enough burst off the line to develop as a pass-rusher.

Couple of tidbits about Levi

Already 23

Lowest missed tackle rate of any defender According to PFF

Levi Onwuzurike: 4% missed tackle rate Lowest among 2021 NFL Draft prospects

Last edited by a moderator:
At presser Holmes said that Lions were trying to trade up to draft Levi sounds like even into 1st round but couldn't get a deal done. Holmes said that members of the draft team worked with him to be patient and that they were fortunate to have Levi fall to them.

For a change Lions got lucky here. 

Holmes also said they did not trade down because they really liked the players they chose.

I'm amazed CB - Ifeatu Melifonwu (Syracuse) fell all the way to #101.
Well that was nice to wake up to. Five Nigerians on the Lions defense now (Okwara brothers and both starting Corners.) Older brother was a second round pick.

Long and strong, he'll be a great off corner. Really physical, he'll just toss receivers aside defending the run. Great closing speed. I don't think he's pro ready when it comes to press coverage - not many guys are but has the physical attributes to develop into one. Decent ball skills and a punishing tackler. 

Cornerbacks rarely look good in their first year and I'm sure he'll struggle at times, but this guy could be really good. There were five CBs taken between 100 and 105 and I had him rated the highest by a good margin. Brett Kolman had him #5, ranked right with Newsome and Farley.  He's got the potential to be a Pro Bowler.

6'2", 214. 

938 pounds in the first three picks, and a big corner to end the day. You might beat us but you're gonna be sore af come Monday.

Not even gonna try to match the players up with the rounds after seeing D'Wayned Eskridge and Tutu Atwell go at 56-57.

WRs - Amon-Ra St. Brown USC, Tylan Wallace Oklahoma State, Jaelon Darden North Texas, Shi Smith South Carolina. The latter two could fill the Jamal Agnew role on returns.

DT - IKR? But if we're going full r-word, Tufele, Togiai, Nixon, Tuipulotu, Shelvin and Brown III are all there.

Edge - Weaver, the Smiths, Roche

LB - cannot believe Jabril Cox is still there. Dylan Moses and Cameron McGrone are other possibilities.

CB - Robert Rochelle or Trill Williams

S - Hamsah Nasirildeen, Jamar Johnson, Ar'Darius Washington

Pretty sure I have no clue what they will do with the last two picks.

RAS of the first four picks: 9.08, 8.75, 8.52, 9.70

The worst score there - which is excellent BTW - is McNeill, who played RB and Outfield in high school. He's limited in what he'll be able to do as a pro - 1-tech NT role who will destroy centers and clog up running lanes - but he is a phenomenal athlete at 320 pounds.

Draft Grades:

CBS: A-minus for Onwuzurike; C-plus for McNeill; A-minus for Melifonwu

Bleacher Report: C-plus for Onwuzurike; F for McNeill; C for Melifonwu

Draft Kings: B for Onwuzurike; B for McNeill; A for Melifonwu

Walter football: B-minus for Onwuzurike; C-minus for McNeill; B for Melifonwu

The Athletic: B for Onwuzurike; B for McNeill; B-plus for Melifonwu

Sports Illustrated: B-plus for Onwuzurike; B-minus for McNeill; A-plus for Melifonwu

Sporting News: A for Onwuzurike; B for McNeill; A for Melifonwu

I'd take a lot of those with a grain of salt.

eh-FAH-too mel-eh-FON-woo has the potential to develop into a good press corner in say two or three years, but that's not his game right now. 50 targets, gave up 33-394-1 with 6 PDs and an interception last year. Watch the tape, he plays off and closes very well. Impressive at blowing up sweeps or coming off the corner on blitzes. A bunch of profiles talk about him being a great press corner, and I get why they think he might become that - 6'3", he is a big physical corner - but that's not in his tool belt atm.

I’d be happy with Cox. Yeah, i said it, make your jokes and move along.
I wanted Cox last night (NTTAWWT) but happy we got the 'cuse corner instead. Should be the pick If he makes it through, but who knows. Weird draft with all the opt outs, lowered level of competition last season, no combine. Out number one pick last saw the field as a teenager.

Cox - Darden would be amazing.

I wanted Cox last night (NTTAWWT) but happy we got the 'cuse corner instead. Should be the pick If he makes it through, but who knows. Weird draft with all the opt outs, lowered level of competition last season, no combine. Out number one pick last saw the field as a teenager.

Cox - Darden would be amazing.
Yeah, we need to draft a wr. There’s been a lot of depth at wr the last few years in the draft that we’ve ignored. No offense to cephus, but we should have been able to find someone in the 3-4 round that’s better than amendola. 

Some of the best left per CBS sports.

No. 69: Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State

Wallace is a strong wide receiver with tremendous play strength.

No. 77: Jabril Cox, LB, LSU

The North Dakota State transfer is a bit undersize but very productive.

No. 79: Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson

A hulked up linebacker that played his best football in 2020 after Justyn Ross suffered an unfortunate injury.

No. 91: Rashad Weaver, EDGE, Pittsburgh

Weaver is half of the effective edge-rush tandem -- Patrick Jones, who went to Vikings, being the other.

No. 93: Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest

Surratt, the younger brother of North Carolina linebacker Chazz Surratt, who was taken earlier by Minnesota, opted out of the 2020 season.

I don't think they are really trying to win this year. 
Nor should they. Every game should be an audition for the players and a chance to evaluate for the coaches. I have a feeling this group will fight hard to win but they simply don't have enough talent yet. That's good, a top five pick is the best thing this franchise can achieve this year. If we get that we should be in business.

Overall I liked the draft. Building up both lines and getting a great value at corner works for me. Holmes and company seem genuinely fired up about the guys they got and with Holmes' track record that makes me hopeful.

Makes no sense 

91.3 career coverage grade from the slot

2nd-highest of any defender in the draft

‘grats to the ‘boys
Hard to find anyone who rated Barnes before Cox. Must be looking at Barnes to play inside. Cox strength is on the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread