What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (2 Viewers)

This morning Jeremy Reisman (Pride of Detroit) posted the depth chart as he sees it after OTAs & Minicamp.

Quarterbacks

Jared Goff
Nate Sudfeld
Hendon Hooker

Hendon Hooker received all the second-team reps that I saw, and much of the third-team reps. However, if the season were to start tomorrow, I believe Nate Sudfeld would be the backup to Jared Goff. The reason Hooker is getting the huge majority of the non-starter reps is because he needs those reps. The long-term plan is undeniably for him to be the backup, but he still has a ways to go, and I won’t be going into training camp assuming the job is his.

Running back

Jahmyr Gibbs
David Montgomery
Craig Reynolds
Sione Vaki
Zonovan Knight
Jermar Jefferson
Jake Funk

Nothing too surprising here. It’s worth noting that Jahmyr Gibbs didn’t practice all spring, but that allowed more reps with the first and second teams for rookie Sione Vaki. The Lions’ fourth-round pick impressed enough for me to believe he could compete for the RB3 spot by the start of the regular season, but there are still a lot of fundamentals to learn at the position before Detroit will throw him in.

Tight end

Sam LaPorta
Brock Wright
James Mitchell
Shane Zylstra
Parker Hesse
Sean McKeon

It’s a make-or-break season for James Mitchell, and I think Shane Zylstra has a real shot at jumping him before the season starts. That said, by the end of minicamp, Mitchell was still repping ahead of him.

Wide receiver

Amon-Ra St. Brown
Jameson Williams
Antoine Green
Kalif Raymond
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Maurice Alexander
Daurice Fountain
Tom Kennedy
Kaden Davis
Isaiah Williams
Tre’Quan Smith
Jalon Calhoun

While neither particularly moved the needle much with their play, when both players were healthy, Antoine Green regularly repped with the starters over Donovan Peoples-Jones. So, he’ll go into training camp as the favorite to win the starting job. That said, Kalif Raymond continues to prove why he deserves a role with the offense.

As for the depth, two players to keep an eye on: Daurice Fountain and Kaden Davis. Fountain appeared to become a favorite target of Hooker with the reserves, and Davis always seemed to make at least one big play per practice.

Offensive tackle

Taylor Decker
Penei Sewell
Dan Skipper
Connor Galvin
Colby Sorsdal
Giovanni Manu

Dan Skipper is clearly still OT3, as he was the fixture at left tackle during practices with Decker out. Connor Galvin also got a handful of first-team reps when Penei Sewell was taking a break. Colby Sorsdal, who appears to be moving full-time to tackle, was regularly with the second-team offense, while rookie Giovanni Manu didn’t budge much from the third-team left tackle spot.

Guard

Kevin Zeitler
Graham Glasgow
Kayode Awosika
Netane Muti
Christian Mahogany
Matt Farniok

It’s hard to know exactly where Kayode Awosika fits, as he missed all of spring with an undisclosed injury, but based on history, the Lions seem to trust him. One player to watch for is Netane Muti, who regularly got first-team reps when Kevin Zeitler had off days. Muti has 22 games of experience and four starts at the NFL level. Christian Mahogany seemingly locked down the right guard spot with the second-team offense.

Center

Frank Ragnow
Michael Niese
Bryan Hudson
Duke Clemons
Kingsley Eguakun

We saw a heck of a lot of Michael Niese with Frank Ragnow sidelined for OTAs. Obviously, if something happens to Ragnow, the Lions will likely move Graham Glasgow to center, but don’t be surprised if Niese makes a case for a roster spot given all the reps he’s been getting.

While Eguakun is at the bottom of the center depth chart here, it’s worth noting that he was getting some second/third-team guard reps. His path to the roster may be there.

Defensive end

Aidan Hutchinson
Josh Paschal
John Cominsky
Marcus Davenport
James Houston
Mitchell Agude
Mathieu Betts
Isaac Ukwu
Nate Lynn

This is a difficult position to project because Marcus Davenport missed all of spring and James Houston the majority of it. Without a doubt, though, it was Josh Paschal who took the majority of reps opposite Aidan Hutchinson with the starters.

It gets a lot murkier beyond those top three, though. Mitchell Agude is a player to watch, as he got a ton of second-team reps and even slipped in there with the first team in certain subpackages. And despite me having him so low on the list, don’t count out Mathieu Betts, either. I thought he had a strong spring, but he has mostly been repping with the second and third teams.

Defensive tackle

Alim McNeill
DJ Reader
Levi Onwuzurike
Chris Smith
Mekhi Wingo
Brodric Martin
Kyle Peko

Don’t be too dismayed to see the Lions’ two draft picks at the bottom of this list. Again, the Lions like to make their young players work their way up the depth chart. And with Peko missing the last week or two of practices, both Brodric Martin and Mekhi Wingo got plenty of reps, albeit with the reserves.

Levi Onwuzurike made a very strong case for a defensive role this year, but also don’t forget that many of the players listed at the defensive end position have the versatility to kick inside.

Linebacker

Alex Anzalone
Jack Campbell
Derrick Barnes
Malcolm Rodriguez
Jalen Reeves-Maybin
Steele Chambers
DaRon Gilbert

This linebacker ranking feels pretty set in stone right now. Jack Campbell has clearly been the No. 1 MIKE linebacker in the spring, with Barnes getting some time with the ones at the SAM position.

In my opinion, Steele Chambers has made a strong case for the team’s LB6/special teams role. Although, it remains to be seen whether the Lions will carry six.

Cornerback

Carlton Davis III
Terrion Arnold
Kindle Vildor
Emmanuel Moseley
Khalil Dorsey
Morice Norris
Steven Gilmore
Craig James

While Kindle Vildor occupied the CB2 spot for almost all of the spring, on the final week of camp—with Carlton Davis and Terrion Arnold healthy enough for full-time roles—those were the two primary cornerbacks. That seems almost surely to be the Week 1 lineup, but Emmanuel Moseley could contend for a job once he is healthy.

Another name to watch here is Morice Norris, as he snuck in some a handful of first-team reps late in minicamp. The UDFA rookie out of Fresno State could contend with a guy like Steven Gilmore for a developmental spot on the roster or the practice squad. He also took reps at nickel, adding some versatility to his repertoire.

Nickel cornerback

Brian Branch
Amik Robertson
Ennis Rakestraw Jr.

Amik Robertson held down the starting nickel spot for all of OTAs and looked good doing it. But there is little question that when he is back and healthy, that is Brian Branch’s job—even if he’s expected to play some safety, too. Ennis Rakestraw has almost exclusively been repping at nickel, so it may be tough for him to see playing time in his rookie season.

Safety

Kerby Joseph
Ifeatu Melifonwu
Brandon Joseph
C.J. Moore
Loren Strickland
Chelen Garnes

This, too, is relatively straightforward. With Kerby Joseph sidelined this spring, it was almost exclusively Brandon Joseph repping with the first team alongside Ifeatu Melifonwu. He’s also earned some serious praise from his coaches.

Kicker

Michael Badgley
James Turner

While James Turner both displayed a stronger leg and was more accurate in situational drills, Michael Badgley was consistently repping first, and I believe he’s still the favorite to be Detroit’s kicker in 2024. That said, I do think Turner significantly closed the gap this spring, and if he continues to build on that performance during training camp, Detroit will have a tough position.

Long snapper

Scott Daly
Hogan Hatten

I admittedly didn’t pay close attention to the long snapper battle, but Scott Daly is the incumbent and was still repping ahead of Hatten in the spring.

Punter

Jack Fox

The only player on the roster running unopposed and for good reason.

This morning Jeremy Reisman (Pride of Detroit) posted the depth chart as he sees it after OTAs & Minicamp.

Quarterbacks

Jared Goff
Nate Sudfeld
Hendon Hooker

Hendon Hooker received all the second-team reps that I saw, and much of the third-team reps. However, if the season were to start tomorrow, I believe Nate Sudfeld would be the backup to Jared Goff. The reason Hooker is getting the huge majority of the non-starter reps is because he needs those reps. The long-term plan is undeniably for him to be the backup, but he still has a ways to go, and I won’t be going into training camp assuming the job is his.

Running back

Jahmyr Gibbs
David Montgomery
Craig Reynolds
Sione Vaki
Zonovan Knight
Jermar Jefferson
Jake Funk

Nothing too surprising here. It’s worth noting that Jahmyr Gibbs didn’t practice all spring, but that allowed more reps with the first and second teams for rookie Sione Vaki. The Lions’ fourth-round pick impressed enough for me to believe he could compete for the RB3 spot by the start of the regular season, but there are still a lot of fundamentals to learn at the position before Detroit will throw him in.

Tight end

Sam LaPorta
Brock Wright
James Mitchell
Shane Zylstra
Parker Hesse
Sean McKeon

It’s a make-or-break season for James Mitchell, and I think Shane Zylstra has a real shot at jumping him before the season starts. That said, by the end of minicamp, Mitchell was still repping ahead of him.

Wide receiver

Amon-Ra St. Brown
Jameson Williams
Antoine Green
Kalif Raymond
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Maurice Alexander
Daurice Fountain
Tom Kennedy
Kaden Davis
Isaiah Williams
Tre’Quan Smith
Jalon Calhoun

While neither particularly moved the needle much with their play, when both players were healthy, Antoine Green regularly repped with the starters over Donovan Peoples-Jones. So, he’ll go into training camp as the favorite to win the starting job. That said, Kalif Raymond continues to prove why he deserves a role with the offense.

As for the depth, two players to keep an eye on: Daurice Fountain and Kaden Davis. Fountain appeared to become a favorite target of Hooker with the reserves, and Davis always seemed to make at least one big play per practice.

Offensive tackle

Taylor Decker
Penei Sewell
Dan Skipper
Connor Galvin
Colby Sorsdal
Giovanni Manu

Dan Skipper is clearly still OT3, as he was the fixture at left tackle during practices with Decker out. Connor Galvin also got a handful of first-team reps when Penei Sewell was taking a break. Colby Sorsdal, who appears to be moving full-time to tackle, was regularly with the second-team offense, while rookie Giovanni Manu didn’t budge much from the third-team left tackle spot.

Guard

Kevin Zeitler
Graham Glasgow
Kayode Awosika
Netane Muti
Christian Mahogany
Matt Farniok

It’s hard to know exactly where Kayode Awosika fits, as he missed all of spring with an undisclosed injury, but based on history, the Lions seem to trust him. One player to watch for is Netane Muti, who regularly got first-team reps when Kevin Zeitler had off days. Muti has 22 games of experience and four starts at the NFL level. Christian Mahogany seemingly locked down the right guard spot with the second-team offense.

Center

Frank Ragnow
Michael Niese
Bryan Hudson
Duke Clemons
Kingsley Eguakun

We saw a heck of a lot of Michael Niese with Frank Ragnow sidelined for OTAs. Obviously, if something happens to Ragnow, the Lions will likely move Graham Glasgow to center, but don’t be surprised if Niese makes a case for a roster spot given all the reps he’s been getting.

While Eguakun is at the bottom of the center depth chart here, it’s worth noting that he was getting some second/third-team guard reps. His path to the roster may be there.

Defensive end

Aidan Hutchinson
Josh Paschal
John Cominsky
Marcus Davenport
James Houston
Mitchell Agude
Mathieu Betts
Isaac Ukwu
Nate Lynn

This is a difficult position to project because Marcus Davenport missed all of spring and James Houston the majority of it. Without a doubt, though, it was Josh Paschal who took the majority of reps opposite Aidan Hutchinson with the starters.

It gets a lot murkier beyond those top three, though. Mitchell Agude is a player to watch, as he got a ton of second-team reps and even slipped in there with the first team in certain subpackages. And despite me having him so low on the list, don’t count out Mathieu Betts, either. I thought he had a strong spring, but he has mostly been repping with the second and third teams.

Defensive tackle

Alim McNeill
DJ Reader
Levi Onwuzurike
Chris Smith
Mekhi Wingo
Brodric Martin
Kyle Peko

Don’t be too dismayed to see the Lions’ two draft picks at the bottom of this list. Again, the Lions like to make their young players work their way up the depth chart. And with Peko missing the last week or two of practices, both Brodric Martin and Mekhi Wingo got plenty of reps, albeit with the reserves.

Levi Onwuzurike made a very strong case for a defensive role this year, but also don’t forget that many of the players listed at the defensive end position have the versatility to kick inside.

Linebacker

Alex Anzalone
Jack Campbell
Derrick Barnes
Malcolm Rodriguez
Jalen Reeves-Maybin
Steele Chambers
DaRon Gilbert

This linebacker ranking feels pretty set in stone right now. Jack Campbell has clearly been the No. 1 MIKE linebacker in the spring, with Barnes getting some time with the ones at the SAM position.

In my opinion, Steele Chambers has made a strong case for the team’s LB6/special teams role. Although, it remains to be seen whether the Lions will carry six.

Cornerback

Carlton Davis III
Terrion Arnold
Kindle Vildor
Emmanuel Moseley
Khalil Dorsey
Morice Norris
Steven Gilmore
Craig James

While Kindle Vildor occupied the CB2 spot for almost all of the spring, on the final week of camp—with Carlton Davis and Terrion Arnold healthy enough for full-time roles—those were the two primary cornerbacks. That seems almost surely to be the Week 1 lineup, but Emmanuel Moseley could contend for a job once he is healthy.

Another name to watch here is Morice Norris, as he snuck in some a handful of first-team reps late in minicamp. The UDFA rookie out of Fresno State could contend with a guy like Steven Gilmore for a developmental spot on the roster or the practice squad. He also took reps at nickel, adding some versatility to his repertoire.

Nickel cornerback

Brian Branch
Amik Robertson
Ennis Rakestraw Jr.

Amik Robertson held down the starting nickel spot for all of OTAs and looked good doing it. But there is little question that when he is back and healthy, that is Brian Branch’s job—even if he’s expected to play some safety, too. Ennis Rakestraw has almost exclusively been repping at nickel, so it may be tough for him to see playing time in his rookie season.

Safety

Kerby Joseph
Ifeatu Melifonwu
Brandon Joseph
C.J. Moore
Loren Strickland
Chelen Garnes

This, too, is relatively straightforward. With Kerby Joseph sidelined this spring, it was almost exclusively Brandon Joseph repping with the first team alongside Ifeatu Melifonwu. He’s also earned some serious praise from his coaches.

Kicker

Michael Badgley
James Turner

While James Turner both displayed a stronger leg and was more accurate in situational drills, Michael Badgley was consistently repping first, and I believe he’s still the favorite to be Detroit’s kicker in 2024. That said, I do think Turner significantly closed the gap this spring, and if he continues to build on that performance during training camp, Detroit will have a tough position.

Long snapper

Scott Daly
Hogan Hatten

I admittedly didn’t pay close attention to the long snapper battle, but Scott Daly is the incumbent and was still repping ahead of Hatten in the spring.

Punter

Jack Fox

My memory is murky, but didn't Zylstra show some pass catching athleticism prior to getting hurt? With the limited-ish depth at WR, does he possibly become more valuable than Mitchell in the slot; 2/3 TE sets?

Quarterbacks

Jared Goff
Nate Sudfeld
Hendon Hooker

Running back

Jahmyr Gibbs
David Montgomery
Craig Reynolds
Sione Vaki
Zonovan Knight
Jermar Jefferson
Jake Funk

Tight end

Sam LaPorta
Brock Wright
James Mitchell
Shane Zylstra
Parker Hesse
Sean McKeon

Wide receiver

Amon-Ra St. Brown
Jameson Williams
Antoine Green
Kalif Raymond
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Maurice Alexander
Daurice Fountain
Tom Kennedy
Kaden Davis
Isaiah Williams
Tre’Quan Smith
Jalon Calhoun

Offensive tackle

Taylor Decker
Penei Sewell
Dan Skipper
Connor Galvin
Colby Sorsdal
Giovanni Manu

Guard

Kevin Zeitler
Graham Glasgow
Kayode Awosika
Netane Muti
Christian Mahogany
Matt Farniok

Center

Frank Ragnow
Michael Niese
Bryan Hudson
Duke Clemons
Kingsley Eguakun

Defensive end

Aidan Hutchinson
Josh Paschal
John Cominsky
Marcus Davenport
James Houston
Mitchell Agude
Mathieu Betts
Isaac Ukwu
Nate Lynn

Defensive tackle

Alim McNeill
DJ Reader
Levi Onwuzurike
Chris Smith
Mekhi Wingo
Brodric Martin
Kyle Peko

Linebacker

Alex Anzalone
Jack Campbell
Derrick Barnes
Malcolm Rodriguez
Jalen Reeves-Maybin
Steele Chambers
DaRon Gilbert

Cornerback

Carlton Davis III
Terrion Arnold
Kindle Vildor
Emmanuel Moseley
Khalil Dorsey
Morice Norris
Steven Gilmore
Craig James

Nickel cornerback

Brian Branch
Amik Robertson
Ennis Rakestraw Jr.

Safety

Kerby Joseph
Ifeatu Melifonwu
Brandon Joseph
C.J. Moore
Loren Strickland
Chelen Garnes

Kicker

Michael Badgley
James Turner

Long snapper

Scott Daly
Hogan Hatten

Punter

Jack Fox

My memory is murky, but didn't Zylstra show some pass catching athleticism prior to getting hurt? With the limited-ish depth at WR, does he possibly become more valuable than Mitchell in the slot; 2/3 TE sets?

Jeremy is going off what he’s seen this spring. I never thought Shane was anything special as a receiving TE & he missed the entire 2023 season. His brother Brandon was a WR on the Lions practice squad for a couple years.

Mitchell is underwhelming. Brock Wright never really runs routes, but they’ll throw him TE leaks once in awhile (he’ll block initially and then release.) That 25 yard seam route for a TD v the Chargers was the only time I remember him running a vert.

He’s had some big moments - the 51 yard TD at the Jets with 2 minutes left, the 30 yard catch and run in the NFCCG (slowest juke evah but hey it worked.) He’s the clear #2 when they’re in 12 personnel.

On the PFF NFL podcast today, Sam Monson & Steve Palazzolo broke down the team roster rankings article that came out last week. Interestingly, while the author (Trevor Sikema) had Detroit 6th best, Steve said he’s got the Lions at #2. Sam countered he thought they have the done the best job of roster construction over the last 3+ years.

Breaking down Detroit’s roster

There are timestamps in the description if you want to jump around. SF was 1st, KC #2, the Eagles #3, NYJ (lol) 4th, BAL 5th, DET #6.

The podcast reorders the rankings but essentially the same Top 8.

Just a couple surprises on the depth chart. I would have guessed Green and DPJ would have been flipped. And also would have expected Davenport and Pascal would have been flipped. Hopefully that is a sign that Green and Pascal have taken big steps up. I am glad Levi looks like he may be finally healthy enough to contribute.

Heard that Hooker has not looked that good so far. (Don`t ask from where, but it was someone at camp)

Really interested in seeing him play in X games to see what they have in him.

Heard that Hooker has not looked that good so far. (Don`t ask from where, but it was someone at camp)

Really interested in seeing him play in X games to see what they have in him.

His accuracy has been poor in both OTAs and Minicamp. He made the same bonehead clock management mistake in the 2 minute drill on consecutive days & Ben Johnson went off on him.

Apparently our OC is generally not a screamer - has more of a teachable moment approach most times - but they said you could hear him from a few hundred yards away.

It’s early. He’s going to be given every reasonable chance to win the backup job, they’re trying to get him as many reps as they can. But rn he’s the QB3.

Lions final thoughts: Impressive cornerbacks, Jameson Williams’ time and enchiladas

By Colton Pouncy
8h ago
ALLEN PARK, Mich. — And with that, the Detroit Lions’ offseason workouts are all but finished.

By now, the vets have left town. The young guys still here will wrap things up this week. They’ll be given north of a month to wind down with their families before reporting back for training in July, for the start of what they hope will be a special season.

But until then, here are our final thoughts on a productive spring period.

The cornerback room could finally be ready

Arguably the most impressive position group this spring, relative to how far they’ve come, was the cornerback room.

It was easy to say the group was much-improved based on all the offseason activity, but actually watching it on the field and the way these guys carry themselves, it’s unlike anything I’ve seen from the position over the years. Lions LBs coach Kelvin Sheppard co-signed those sentiments.

“Being on this practice field, hearing corners talking trash out the huddle saying, ‘I got this guy and it’s nothing you gonna do about it,’ — I haven’t been around that since I’ve been here and I’ve rarely been around it in the league,” Sheppard said. “It’s rare you get guys like that — that walk, talk and act with that type of confidence — and we have multiple of them right now.”

Yes, yes they do. Carlton Davis III is one of the most physical corners I’ve watched up close. He’s exactly what they’ve been missing in terms of an in-your-chest man corner. I can’t help but remember a game plan against the Miami Dolphins in 2022, in which former DBs coach Aubrey Pleasant revealed he wanted to jam those dangerous Dolphins receivers at the line of scrimmage and get physical with them. Lions corners weren’t up to the task and couldn’t execute. I don’t think that’ll be a problem with Davis leading this group.

Beyond him, Terrion Arnold showed flashes of being the player Detroit drafted him to be. He exudes confidence, but not in a cocky, arrogant way that some defensive backs are wired. It all stems from a place of confidence and knowing exactly who he is. Corners get in trouble when they try to fake who they are. Arnold is as real as they come.

Amik Robertson is sometimes the forgotten man, but the word that’s often associated with him is “compete.” That’s what he’s here to do. He has a challenge mindset, packaged in a smaller body. Like the DB equivalent of Scrappy Doo. He just wants a chance and will fight until the very last bell. The Lions love that about him.

And then there’s Ennis Rakestraw — more reserved by nature, but his words carry weight when you really listen.

“I mean, you feel like rookies, but at the end of the day, if you feel like a rookie and you let the moment get too big for you, then what are you?” Rakestraw said Tuesday. “So you know, you gotta put yourself on the same pedestal as them. Those guys get paid and we get paid as well. So, it’s a privilege and competition is what we like to do.”

This room has done a complete 180 in terms of mindset and mentality. The hope is that it translate to the field this fall. If it does, watch out.

Jameson Williams can take the offense to a new level — if he’s ready to

It can be a daunting thought, losing a solid veteran wide receiver like Josh Reynolds. He’s played with Jared Goff for almost the entirety of his NFL career, developing trust and comfort over the years. Ever since the Lions added him during the 2021 season, he was a steady presence in the receiver room. Reynolds was a reliable third option for the Lions last season with 40 receptions for 608 yards and five touchdowns. Every player and coach will tell you what he meant to that room.

Same time, there’s reason to be excited about his replacement: Jameson Williams.

You know all about Williams by now. The 2022 No. 12 pick with an aura that can’t help but draw attention — positive or negative. An injury his rookie year, followed by a suspension-shortened sophomore year has everyone in town wondering if this is Williams’ time. And by all accounts, Williams himself has taken the necessary mental strides to prepare for a starter’s workload.
Williams has impressed with his work on the outside, winning over the middle and downfield. He seems far more focused, far more engaged. He’s getting consistent reps with the first team, and he’s been tied to the hip of All-Pro WR Amon-Ra St. Brown after each one. His chemistry with Goff is also steadily improving, and even when they’ve been out of sync, it’s rarely because Williams ran the wrong route or wasn’t where he was supposed to be. Instead, it’s been instances of Goff overthrowing Williams, perhaps trusting him to go get it. You’d rather have that than Goff miss Williams short. They’re working on the deep ball together. This spring was the perfect time to iron things out.

I get the sense they’ll look better in training camp because of this time in May and June. They’ve been getting four, five, six plays together at a time, as opposed to one or two like last year. Those add up when you’re doing multiple team scrimmage periods per practice. All in all, Williams is in a good place — easily the best he’s been as a Lion. What happens from here is up to him.

Hendon Hooker’s on his way, but it’s going to take time

This offseason period has been one of ups and downs for Hendon Hooker. It’s nothing too surprising. We knew there would be a developmental period in his first full offseason, coming from a college system that doesn’t translate well to the NFL. But it was nice learning why those struggles — accuracy, holding onto the ball too long, perhaps a bit of overthinking — have been so prevalent.

Lions passing game coordinator helped explain the root of it all. The Lions are changing his footwork.

“Really, it’s just getting him engulfed in the footwork at which we want the quarterback to play within the passing game, within the system. He comes from a different system at Tennessee in college where really he was almost standing still — almost like sitting in cement at times where there was no movement going on and he’s waiting. Where now it’s things are in rhythm, in timing, the routes should be coming open at a specific time in his drop and the ball needs to be thrown at those at those times.”

Hearing that, on the final open practice of spring, really put things into perspective. There were times you’d question why the ball wasn’t thrown or why a pass would sail. But if the Lions are breaking down Hooker’s footwork to build it back up in their system, it makes all the sense in the world. Even as he continues to re-wire his footwork, one thing coaches have been consistent about is his mindset of improvement. Engstrand said it’s been drastic since the first day of OTAs. He believes his accuracy has improved, he’s more comfortable calling plays and continues to develop.

The more time on task he has, the better off they’ll think he’ll be.

“I think just as that becomes second nature to him, you’ll continue to see the improvement there,” Engstrand said. “For sure.”

The continuity of the coaching staff is more evident than it’s ever been

One thing that’s been clear as day is just how far along the Lions are under head coach Dan Campbell. This is Year 4. Many of the assistants he started this thing with are still in team meetings with him. Aaron Glenn, Ben Johnson, Dave Fipp, Antwaan Randle El, Hank Fraley, Mark Brunell, Sheppard and Engstrand are all in their fourth seasons together. Steve Heiden and Scottie Montgomery are in their second seasons with this crew, after an extremely successful first year. And while there are some new faces joining the crew this offseason, you don’t see this sort of continuity often in the NFL.

With that in mind, I asked Engstrand what this offseason, in particular, has been like.

“I think it’s been fantastic because as coaches, you’re always coaching, but last year, there was a lot of coaching the coaches because they were new,” Engstrand said. “This year, everybody’s on the same page, we all know what we’re doing, we’re able to jump into Year 3 in the offense and (we’re) not necessarily being — not dragged, but bringing along slowly as we’re teaching the players and the coaches. Now the coaches are coaching the players as we go and everybody’s really on the same page in continuity understanding why we’re doing things. What are the details? Where do we need to be? I think that’s been a huge advantage for us this spring for sure.”

The byproduct of that? A heightened sense of urgency and attention to detail. When the Lions had their vets in here for minicamp, each day included a hyperfocused situational period. Red zone. Ball on the 1. Two-possession late-game scenarios. You name it, the Lions did it — or so it felt. Factor in growth from young players, and you can see this team taking those advanced steps in real time.

These Lions have progressed beyond the basics of the teaching stage, thanks to that continuity. That’s a potentially scary thought for the league.

The Lions believe they’re ready to win a Super Bowl

Before his veterans left for the summer, off to train on their own and enjoy an extended break before a much-anticipated 2024 season, Campbell was asked what his message to them would be.
He told them to remember what they’re playing for. To think about what they want out of this season. To envision what they want their February to look like.
Then, Campbell was asked what he wants out of this season.

“You know what I want,” Campbell said. “I want the whole enchilada.”

These were not comments Campbell or anyone in the building were making this time a year ago. Back then, there was a cautious optimism to all of this. The Lions had finished 9-8 but missed the playoffs. Campbell was a coach who knew what he had if things came together, but publicly, it was about winning the division, getting in the dance and seeing what happens. There was little to no talk of enchiladas. That’s no longer the case.

“Before you can set goals, you have to set a foundation,” Sheppard said. “So I think right now, the things we’ve been discussing this offseason have been foundationally. I think we all know where we’re at as an organization and what the goal is this year. Dan, the whole enchilada, he’s been eating a lot of Mexican. But that’s what we’re all in this year, is for the whole enchilada.”
Yes, the Detroit Lions are openly talking about the Super Bowl. And they should. There’s no need to roll your eyes. It’s not coachspeak. This is where they’re at as a franchise.

Per SI: Lions to sign Jake Bates

:kicksrock:

:football: (disappointed WFT'skinsguy)

...was really hoping the 'skins would sign Bates. Good for you guys. Been around these parts since Ol' Yeller, commiserating by osmosis with the vets in this Thread through years of disfunction and disappointment. Keep rolling, and hopefully our time is coming on the next wave.

Gonna be fun watching him launch boomers indoors!

Bates signing is another Holmes move to strengthen a weakness. He may or may not work out but instead of losing some game due to a PK making a record breaking FG we now have a guy who can win one doing the same. Bates is an example of a franchise that is on a roll and is finding a way to attract and obtain difference making talent.

Bates was 17 for 22, so 77% is kind a ok, but when you dive down it is more impressive. He was 11 for 12 from inside 50, with his miss being from 39 yards outdoors into the wind. 92 percent inside the 50 yards is very solid. From 50 plus, he was 6 for 10, which is pretty good. But what makes it impressive is 4 of those attempts were from 58 plus (58, 62, 62 and 64).

So even with Bates numbers dropping off towards the end, his overall season was impressive when you realize the heavy mix of very long range attempts.

Badgley is toast. IMHO, it is a toss-up between Turner and Bates. But with mostly indoor games, I would give the nod to Bates.

including the playoff game:

21 of 28
75%

7 of 12 from 50+
58.3%

14 of 16 from inside 50
87.5%

misses on the season were from 39, 44, 51 51, 53, 58, 62

critical error late in the 4th Q of the playoff game, kicking the ball out of bounds with less than 5 minutes left which led to the other team scoring the go ahead score off a short field

AFAIK he has never attempted an XPA at any level

Would be an awesome story if he makes the team, look at what Brandon Aubrey did last year - similar lack of game experience at any level, UFL sensation, crushed it

When Detroit moved up from the 29th to the 24th pick from Dallas, they had competition from Arizona who also had a deal on the table for that pick. Arizona offered their 27th pick in exchange to swap 3rd and 4th round picks (104th and 174th). The Lions offer was far superior offering a much better 3rd (73rd) in exchange for a 7th, but dropping down 5 spots instead of 3.

The Lions won out and got their man Terrion Arnold at 24. By the book the Lions overpaid, but the Lions considered Arnold a top 15 pick in by far their weakest position which probably kept them from the #1 seed last season and is essential upgrade to compete for a Super Bowl this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread