What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (3 Viewers)

He called one of the players a ###### so that wasn't being a good guy. 
Well not going to judge if he is a good guy or not because of that.  I know it is not correct but that was a pretty common term that was thrown around by athletes back in the day.

Well not going to judge if he is a good guy or not because of that.  I know it is not correct but that was a pretty common term that was thrown around by athletes back in the day.
Yeah I know. I'm not holding one incident him either, but I don't really know much about him either so it left with a negative feeling. 

Went to the game yesterday. I'm not saying anything people haven't already been saying all year, but the difference between when Johnson was in vs. when Blount was in was just so apparent. Every time they broke the huddle and I saw Blount in the backfield, it was deflating. And then the result of the play would generally bear that out. And this was one of his better games!

Defense swarming to the ball and making tackles, oline clearing lanes, and kerryon getting the work he deserves. Golladay with yet another td called back, his overall numbers would look great otherwise. Very efficient on offense, we punted 1 time that I remember but I haven’t actually looked. Disciplined football, not too many penalties (again, stream of thought and haven’t looked at the actual numbers.) 

I really hope we keep using KJ more. He is clearly the best back, and is also versatile. We bring in Blount or riddick and there’s 80% chance you know the play. 

Defense swarming to the ball and making tackles, oline clearing lanes, and kerryon getting the work he deserves. Golladay with yet another td called back, his overall numbers would look great otherwise. Very efficient on offense, we punted 1 time that I remember but I haven’t actually looked. Disciplined football, not too many penalties (again, stream of thought and haven’t looked at the actual numbers.) 

I really hope we keep using KJ more. He is clearly the best back, and is also versatile. We bring in Blount or riddick and there’s 80% chance you know the play. 
Yes, that was the other thing that stood out. Golladay had a quiet day (he was mostly shadowed by Howard, plus none of the Lions WRs did much), but on a couple of the catches he did make, including the negated TD, his hands were just so impressive. Dude goes and GETS the ball.

I love KJ.  But the difference to my eyes is blocking.

Yes, I just said the Lions OL was doing its job.  It has been a rare day in my life that I could type that sentence.
Line is playing better. Looked great yesterday. Still, that doesn't explain the difference between Kerryon's and Blount's production.

Line is playing better. Looked great yesterday. Still, that doesn't explain the difference between Kerryon's and Blount's production.
To be clear, I am not arguing against KJ.

Their production is not apples apples, however.  Blount's role by definition changes his expected production. 

When you get the ball in short yardage/known run situations.. you are going to get short yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Choo Choo!  I am on board! 

The Lions ALWAYS do best when everyone writes them off.  And no one is going to give them credit until right before they collapse late.  Choo Choo! 

Such a different team than what we saw week 1. A Lions offense that can run effectively is essentially Rams or Chiefs - lite. 

Next 5 weeks tell us everything: vs Seattle, @ Minnesota, @ Chicago, vs Carolina, vs Chicago on Turkey Day. I think they can beat the Seahawks if they defense the running game more or less like this game. Similar to Carolina & McCaffrey, though it's harder to say how they'll fare there, given the Panthers looked dead for 3 quarters and still won. At the Vikes is probably a loss, but if we cover Thielen well it could be close. The two Bears games depend partially on Mack's health. Chicago lost to NE on special teams more than anything, but definitely have still looked beatable (by Detroit) the last 2 games.

After that you have an almost sure loss vs the Rams, and hopefully wins @ Arizona & Buffalo before two more division games the final two weeks. So, penciling in them at  5-4, they need to go at least 3-2 the next 5 to have any playoff hopes, and maybe better to truly make in it. Then again right now 10 of the 16 NFC teams are .500 or below (leaving the Packers currently #6 at 3-2-1), so it's not like the field isn't open.

Such a different team than what we saw week 1. A Lions offense that can run effectively is essentially Rams or Chiefs - lite. 

Next 5 weeks tell us everything: vs Seattle, @ Minnesota, @ Chicago, vs Carolina, vs Chicago on Turkey Day. I think they can beat the Seahawks if they defense the running game more or less like this game. Similar to Carolina & McCaffrey, though it's harder to say how they'll fare there, given the Panthers looked dead for 3 quarters and still won. At the Vikes is probably a loss, but if we cover Thielen well it could be close. The two Bears games depend partially on Mack's health. Chicago lost to NE on special teams more than anything, but definitely have still looked beatable (by Detroit) the last 2 games.

After that you have an almost sure loss vs the Rams, and hopefully wins @ Arizona & Buffalo before two more division games the final two weeks. So, penciling in them at  5-4, they need to go at least 3-2 the next 5 to have any playoff hopes, and maybe better to truly make in it. Then again right now 10 of the 16 NFC teams are .500 or below (leaving the Packers currently #6 at 3-2-1), so it's not like the field isn't open.
My only critique here is that your forecast by teams is probably way off.

The Lions we know will go out and beat Seattle, Minnesota, Carolina, Chicago.  Then lose to Buffalo and AZ.

I have to say I was impressed the last 3 weeks.I hope I eat a lot of crow on this coaching staff. 
They still might only finish 8-8 but I think they have the right HC in place finally. I have been watching him on the sidelines and how the players respond to him and how he is always coaching. Caldwell never said a word during the game.

Da Guru said:
They still might only finish 8-8 but I think they have the right HC in place finally. I have been watching him on the sidelines and how the players respond to him and how he is always coaching. Caldwell never said a word during the game.
Hands on guy, works them hard, and works hard himself. Plus he ain’t afraid of having fun.

6 weeks ago everyone was saying he was losing the team.

Hands on guy, works them hard, and works hard himself. Plus he ain’t afraid of having fun.

6 weeks ago everyone was saying he was losing the team.
I know I reacted heavily and I didn't like Patricia to begin with. It was probably the worst loss and most pathetic effort I can remember from the Lions in a long time. However, things are looking promising. 

I know I reacted heavily and I didn't like Patricia to begin with. It was probably the worst loss and most pathetic effort I can remember from the Lions in a long time.
Two weeks later came what was the most complete Lions victory any of us can remember versus the Patriots. That’s the nature of the Not For Long league. Up becomes down, down becomes up. Every year there are less than a handful of really good teams - rn it’s like the Rams, Chiefs, Saints and that’s about it. A few more (Pats? Vikings?) might emerge from th sea of mediocrity. 

I defended Caldwell as a good man but never felt like he could take us from 9-11 wins to home playoff games & playoff byes. Not sure we have the personnel - and we had a lousy start - to accomplish that in 2018. But I’m hopeful Quinn & Patricia will make a deep run before the window closes on Stafford.

the biggest key will be the Oline health, if Tj lang can stay in there an they keep feeding Kerryon, they can be in games, help the defense tremendously. 

Liond add "Snacks"

Run stuffer extraordinaire

The 6-foot-3, 340-pound veteran from tiny William Penn University in Iowa is perennially one of the best run defenders in the NFL. Harrison earned first-team All-Pro honors in 2016 with a career-high 86 tackles in his first year with the Giants after signing as a coveted free agent from the crosstown rival Jets.

He has 31 tackles in seven games in 2018 as a 4-3 nose tackle. “Snacks” plays the 0- or 1-technique almost exclusively and does have experience in both three- and four-man defensive fronts. The 30-year-old is tied for second in the NFL in run stops per Pro Football Focus, a figure that measures quality and importance of tackling success vs. the run. He led the NFL in that category in each of the last three seasons.

Contract

Harrison is in the third year of a five-year, $46.3 million contract he signed with the Giants. He is on the books for a $6.75 million salary in 2019 and $9 million in 2020. Because of the time lapsed on the deal, the Lions could get out of it without a major cap hit if they choose. He has nonguaranteed workout bonuses of $250,000 each year, but the Giants are responsible for the remainder of his $8 million signing bonus.

Huge get for Quinn and the Lions. The run D was horrible. I can’t wait until they acquire a healthy pass rusher in the offseason. 

Liond add "Snacks"

Run stuffer extraordinaire

The 6-foot-3, 340-pound veteran from tiny William Penn University in Iowa is perennially one of the best run defenders in the NFL. Harrison earned first-team All-Pro honors in 2016 with a career-high 86 tackles in his first year with the Giants after signing as a coveted free agent from the crosstown rival Jets.

He has 31 tackles in seven games in 2018 as a 4-3 nose tackle. “Snacks” plays the 0- or 1-technique almost exclusively and does have experience in both three- and four-man defensive fronts. The 30-year-old is tied for second in the NFL in run stops per Pro Football Focus, a figure that measures quality and importance of tackling success vs. the run. He led the NFL in that category in each of the last three seasons.

Contract

Harrison is in the third year of a five-year, $46.3 million contract he signed with the Giants. He is on the books for a $6.75 million salary in 2019 and $9 million in 2020. Because of the time lapsed on the deal, the Lions could get out of it without a major cap hit if they choose. He has nonguaranteed workout bonuses of $250,000 each year, but the Giants are responsible for the remainder of his $8 million signing bonus.
Seriously perfect get. Exactly what they needed and under contract for a few more years. 5th round pick? Oh hell yeah. Our version of Butch Woolfork.

Clog that middle and let Jarrad Davis run laterally and I see a significant improvement soon. I think we are one draft away from very serious contention.

I know I reacted heavily and I didn't like Patricia to begin with. It was probably the worst loss and most pathetic effort I can remember from the Lions in a long time. However, things are looking promising. 
The Jets loss stings big on the overall record and in our minds. Horrible intro to Matty Patty football, however we can thank the Jets for letting us know that we were tipping plays and things have been a lot different since then. A lesson learned for an OC and perhaps the franchise QB that next level football requires continuous change and adjustments to stay ahead of the curve.

What I'm seeing now are some of the most complete team efforts I can remember. With nobody running away with the division, it's all right there in front of them.

The Jets loss stings big on the overall record and in our minds. Horrible intro to Matty Patty football, however we can thank the Jets for letting us know that we were tipping plays and things have been a lot different since then. A lesson learned for an OC and perhaps the franchise QB that next level football requires continuous change and adjustments to stay ahead of the curve.

What I'm seeing now are some of the most complete team efforts I can remember. With nobody running away with the division, it's all right there in front of them.
And you also got one of their best players in the past decade today in Harrison. For a fifth from the other NY team. I took out a thread on him this morning. He grades out fourth against the run among all eligible interior linemen for Pro Football Focus. He'll clog the middle in Patricia's scheme for sure. You guys run a 3-4 now? 

And you also got one of their best players in the past decade today in Harrison. For a fifth from the other NY team. I took out a thread on him this morning. He grades out fourth against the run among all eligible interior linemen for Pro Football Focus. He'll clog the middle in Patricia's scheme for sure. You guys run a 3-4 now? 
It’s a hybrid scheme. We now have 2 of the top 10 PFF graded run stoppers in Snacks and rookie Hand.

Thanks, man. How is it hybrid, do you know off-handedly? Do they bring an LB up to the line or even two LBs like Wade Phillips does?  
They use a lot of different fronts. 4-3, 3-4, often 6 or even 7 DBs. There’s not really a base D. It’s fluid based on down, distance, opponent.

Huge get for Quinn and the Lions. The run D was horrible. I can’t wait until they acquire a healthy pass rusher in the offseason. 
It may be surprising, but the Lions are fourth in the league in sacks....I am getting excited by the Lions prospects this year.   Well balanced talented offense.  A defense with a very good secondary and now shiukd be better against the run.  Not the best team in the league by any stretch, but competitive.  

saw the headline on Sirius the other day that Snacks got traded and thought to myself, 'why can't the lions ever do anything like this?'.  was a very happy man a few minutes later when I heard the details.  exactly what we needed for a nice price.  we are DE away from being a contender, IMO.  if Ziggy can ever get healthy, we can cause a lot of problems for a lot of teams

FB On This Day Memories from 2015:

Also, firing the O-line coach is the ultimate chicken**** move. Did Jeremiah Washburn draft those bums? It's like firing the Assembly Plant manager due to poor sales.

We need Martha to have a complete meltdown - fire Caldwell, Lewand & Mayhew on the flight home from London, turn over the team to Bill Jr, and move to Boca. Better yet, call Dan Gilbert to see how much of downtown Detroit he really wants to own.
So nice to not be pissed off at the team for a change.

Going into this year I had my doubts about this team.  My doubts turned into nightmares after week one.  But right now, they are potentially the best Lion team in my lifetime.  Of course that just means they are capable of winning a playoff game or god forbid two.   It still won't even  be an easy task to even make the playoffs as any key injury would doom their hopes.  But right now going into week 8, this is a pretty good football team from coaching staff to special teams to offense and defense.  

Last couple of weeks have really been great. This year looks difficult for making a playoff run, although it’s possible, but it’s next year I’m really excited about if we can add some pass rush at DE 

Last couple of weeks have really been great. This year looks difficult for making a playoff run, although it’s possible, but it’s next year I’m really excited about if we can add some pass rush at DE 
Agree about the future but I think there is some optimism for this year if we can get Ziggy back this year. He’s the DE we need to get us to the playoffs now. Big if, but we are getting sacks now, imagine what the Lions DLine could be doing with Ziggy. 

We have to win the next two games though to make up for the Jets/SanFran losses. 

Lions fans is Slay expected to follow Baldwin when Baldwin lines up in the slot?

Also you guys got a great run stopper in Snacks, hated to see him leave the Giants.

Patricia must be doing something really good with Kennard, he only had 14 sacks in the 4 years he was with the Giants but has 5 already this season

Went to the game today.  Was at Nemos bar and there was more  energy than I have felt in years..people were excited and pumped. Then to see the disgust in the 4th quarter was sad.  Lions fans are truly like a battered wife that keeps going back to her cheating husband.

Russell Wilson played very well today. When Stafford is forced left it is bad news....and right sometimes.

Turnovers killed the Lions.  The fumble and interception by Stafford was the real dagger, and both those were 100 percent on him. 
This is Staffords 10th season.  Lion fans have to realize now this is the level he is at. 

Turnovers killed the Lions.  The fumble and interception by Stafford was the real dagger, and both those were 100 percent on him. 
Aye, I thought the goal for Lions / Patricia is to have dominant ball control to control the time of possession.  After all, isn't this one of the reasons for trade acquisition in Snacks Harrison?

Copying from another thread: 

Golden Tate - WR - Lions

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions would need to be "blown away" to deal Golden Tate before the trade deadline.

Ian Rapoport added that "a few teams" have inquired about Tate. In his age-30 season, this is also Tate's contract year, and it sounds like the Lions are leaking this information to drum up trade interest with no intentions of keeping Tate in Detroit long term. If Tate were to be dealt, the Lions could turn to T.J. Jones at slot receiver between Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones.

I guess they were blown away.  Sad to see him go, he might be the best FA acquisition in Lions history.  Just a class player all the way.  Thanks for all the hard work for the Lions Golden, and I wish you well in Philly.

Losing at home and putting yourself in the basement of your division seems to have triggered the desperation.
Division is still close, but I can see getting something for him if you’re going to let him walk anyway.  Hate to see him go. 

Users who are viewing this thread