What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (19 Viewers)

Zay Jones released by thr Jags. Lions need a 3rd receiver and he is solid.

6 months after being arrested for DV? Don’t see that happening.

Everything was dropped. Reading into the incident it sounds like it wasn't anything.

Shelia has a zero tolerance view on DV, so even the appearance of guilt would be a large enough of a red flag to stay away.

Did you talk to her about it before or after my post?

Everything was dropped. Reading into the incident it sounds like it wasn't anything.

Shelia has a zero tolerance view on DV, so even the appearance of guilt would be a large enough of a red flag to stay away.

No. Shelia's views on domestic violence were widely publicized during the Cam Sutton fiasco. HTH.

No. Shelia's views on domestic violence were widely publicized during the Cam Sutton fiasco. HTH.

Right, but on a guy running from the law. Not a guy where there was no appearance of guilt.

Right, but on a guy running from the law. Not a guy where there was no appearance of guilt.

He is on the back part of his career and hasn't had a big season yet.

No appearance = the girl had scratches on her neck.

It ain't happening. It would not surprise me if Brad's entire draft card had about 20 names on it. Character is that important to what the Lions are building.

Zay snatched a chain off his baby mama, scratching her neck. Guess you could try to argue that’s fairly innocuous I suppose. Personally I think any kind of intimidation (breaking stuff, flipping furniture) is a form of abuse and no one should be subjected to it.

Zay has a history of legal troubles & (very) erratic behavior. Google if you’re curious. His brother (also an NFLer) also has a DV arrest. Not sure why anyone would stump for him.

They are looking for a guy to come in and take Josh Reynolds spot. Not St. Brown's.

They are looking for a guy to come in and take Josh Reynolds spot. Not St. Brown's.

DPJ is a much better option and Kalif is fine as a 4th and on special teams. There are other guys I would rather give a roster spot to than Zay Jones, like Antoine Green who is still developing.

Apparently Terrion called the Lions asking for them to move up and take them. Apparently he loves the football culture and wants to work with Branch again.

Lions OTA & Minicamp schedule:

Rookie Minicamp: May 10-12

OTA Offseason Workouts: May 21-23, May 29-31, June 10-12

Mandatory Minicamp:
June 4-6

DPJ is a much better option and Kalif is fine as a 4th and on special teams. There are other guys I would rather give a roster spot to than Zay Jones, like Antoine Green who is still developing.
Still can’t rule out Chark coming back

Apparently Terrion called the Lions asking for them to move up and take them. Apparently he loves the football culture and wants to work with Branch again.
Where did you get this story?

Starting around the 2:00 mark

Where did you get this story?

Starting around the 2:00 mark

Actually it was something he said to them during his Top 30 visit, several weeks in advance of the draft.

Terrion Arnold had a feeling the Detroit Lions were going to trade up to get him in the first round of Thursday's NFL draft.

When he made his pre-draft visit to the Lions earlier this month, Arnold left defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn with a message.

"I walked in there, they said, 'Man, it’s all about fit, did you like the fit?'" Arnold told a small group of reporters early Friday morning. "I said, 'Coach, you know what you need to do, trade up.' Me and A.G., we walked in there. He said, 'Hopefully we get a chance to get you.' I said, 'You know what to do, trade up.' That’s what they did."

Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press

Do you or @BobbyLayne think a tradeup with Miami at 1.21 for Quinyon Mitchell (or Arnold) was offered. What DET gave DAL 1.29 and 3.9 (73) would've been sufficient per the trade chart. Quinton has slightly more athleticism, but Terrion is better vs the run and has faced tougher competition.

Do you or @BobbyLayne think a tradeup with Miami at 1.21 for Quinyon Mitchell (or Arnold) was offered. What DET gave DAL 1.29 and 3.9 (73) would've been sufficient per the trade chart. Quinton has slightly more athleticism, but Terrion is better vs the run and has faced tougher competition.

Brad said he started calling teams in the late teens to trade up. Brad is not one to leave any stones unturned. Toughness and tackling are requirements for Lions defense, so I believe Brad when he said Rakeshaw and Arnold were his top two CB. Latu might have been their first target, but I have not known Brad to reveal players who got away. They always talk about the players they got and how excited they were to get them.

Brad said he started calling teams in the late teens to trade up. Brad is not one to leave any stones unturned. Toughness and tackling are requirements for Lions defense, so I believe Brad when he said Rakeshaw and Arnold were his top two CB. Latu might have been their first target, but I have not known Brad to reveal players who got away. They always talk about the players they got and how excited they were to get them.
Grier said much the same, so we'll never know. But Grier values some athletic traits over "production". Many fans were initially disappointed in the Chop pick because of only 4 sacks. But he had top metrics in pass rush win rate and quick pressure rate. So fans are now more enthusiastic. If both Phillips and Chubb hadn't been injured, I think Grier accepts a tradedown offer like the one between DAL & DET.

A few good UDFA signings. Particularly good is Kingsley Eguakun a center from Florida. He was a 2-year starter before getting injured last year in preseason. He attempted to play mid-season, but could no longer go after four games. Super intelligent, good size 6'-3, 305 LBS. Gave him the max contract of $225k guarenteed. Off the radar because of his injury, but an excellent developmental guy.

BobbyLayne said:
Amon-Ra

His dad’s name was Brown. He sainted himself. #truestory

Welp let’s get to work on those UDFA signings. Should be an easy pitch. “Pretty good chance you’ll be on the 53-man bc we ain’t got jack here.”
Amon-Ra can ball and plays big. Such a deep WR group this year for him to fall into the 4th round. One of the steals of the draft IMO. His dad was two-time Mr. Universe. His brother plays for the Pack. I really like this pick for the Lions.

Going to the Wayback Machine....nice call!

Holmes being described as arrogant by anonymous NFL executive for the Martin and Manu picks.
Perhaps some jealousy here but also those picks have raised eyebrows with Lions faithful.
I’ve wondered about them because of the amount of draft capital. But if either hits they would support Holmes’ somewhat unconventional approach.

Holmes being described as arrogant by anonymous NFL executive for the Martin and Manu picks.
Perhaps some jealousy here but also those picks have raised eyebrows with Lions faithful.
I’ve wondered about them because of the amount of draft capital. But if either hits they would support Holmes’ somewhat unconventional approach.

Holmes made his critics look foolish last year. I love the Manu pick. The Lions had some excess draft capital next year and used it to get a guy they really like this year. Manu is an unbelievable specimen of size, strength and athleticism. Lions love his character. He is not nearly as green as people think he is. Brad has a clear plan, and I have been a buyer since the beginning.

I can't say that I liked Holmes trading next years 3rd to draft Manu but I can't say I have a problem with it either. Holmes and Campbell had him in for a visit and got to see how well he moved among other things.

At this point, Holmes has crushed all 3 of his previous drafts so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Still have 8 picks in 2025, compared to the 6 they had this year. Some of the later ones could be combined to move up, or maybe even trade a 2026 pick if there is a player in that range they really want.

I'm not sure whether there is a compensatory pick coming their way for Jonah Jackson being signed away.

I trust Brad’s evaluations and process. OL was a need and they obviously had some later guys they valued higher. He is going to miss some picks but even if he bombs on a few he has done a heck of a job. He addressed the concern with some major upside and trusts his staff to get the best out of them. It will be fun to see how it works out on those.

I can't say that I liked Holmes trading next years 3rd to draft Manu but I can't say I have a problem with it either. Holmes and Campbell had him in for a visit and got to see how well he moved among other things.

At this point, Holmes has crushed all 3 of his previous drafts so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Holmes has done a really good job so far.

Only question marks are still to see if Williams can develop into a reliable 75 catch WR instead of just being a reverse threat. This is his season.

Some unnamed GMs are calling Holmes arrogant for trading up and drafting guys like Martin and Manu when they were projected to be late rounders at best. Manu was not even on some draft boards.

Not sure why they would use the term arrogant. It is either brilliance or stupidity. That has yet to be determined.

According to Detroit Free Press...

Grade: D

Why: Remember grades are for the pick, not the player. Sewell is a fine player won the Outland Trophy in 2019. But there’s a reason Cincinnati, which has a worse offensive line that gave up more sacks last year than the Lions, passed on him. The top 10 should be reserved for elite playmakers. The Lions get a D because they either should have traded down or selected Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith or Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields.

Carlos Monarrez was smart not to put his name on this.

BobbyLayne said:
Amon-Ra

His dad’s name was Brown. He sainted himself. #truestory

Welp let’s get to work on those UDFA signings. Should be an easy pitch. “Pretty good chance you’ll be on the 53-man bc we ain’t got jack here.”
Amon-Ra can ball and plays big. Such a deep WR group this year for him to fall into the 4th round. One of the steals of the draft IMO. His dad was two-time Mr. Universe. His brother plays for the Pack. I really like this pick for the Lions.

Going to the Wayback Machine....nice call!
I really liked Amon-Ra as a prospect. I had similar enthusiasm for Gibbs at #12 last year.
This year my favorite prospect was Rome Odunze and unfortunately he went to the Bears. That guy can ball and gives 100% on every play. If Caleb Williams and JJ McCarthy pan out, this is going to be a very competitive division.

Holmes seems to keenly understand how to evaluate talent + drive + team fit. I think he's the best in the business right now.

Why: Remember grades are for the pick, not the player. Sewell is a fine player won the Outland Trophy in 2019. But there’s a reason Cincinnati, which has a worse offensive line that gave up more sacks last year than the Lions, passed on him. The top 10 should be reserved for elite playmakers. The Lions get a D because they either should have traded down or selected Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith or Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields.

Its difficult to understand how anyone could have graded the Sewell pick as a D even if that person knew very little about football. Also the Bengals passed on him for Ja'Marr Chase. Bengals and Lions both won in the 2021 draft.

Its difficult to understand how anyone could have graded the Sewell pick as a D even if that person knew very little about football. Also the Bengals passed on him for Ja'Marr Chase. Bengals and Lions both won in the 2021 draft.
Right, in what world is a premier OT not worth a top 10 pick?

Jake Bates had 5 FGs yesterday, including a 60-yarder.

Edit to add: His 5th FG was a 42 yard walk off winner.

This guy's already a legend.

Bates is on our own backyard, at least kick the tires on him. Read Minny had interest..get him in the building.

From Weeks 3-13, Lions DT Alim McNeill averaged 3.2 Total QB Pressures/Game (Knee Sprain Week 13). Extrapolated over a 17-Game Regular Season that is 54.4 QB Pressures which would have tied him with Leonard Williams for 11th Most among Interior DL (just ahead of Javon Hargave/DeForest Buckner).

Now Alim McNeill, entering Year 4, gets to play on an interior with DJ Reader, Year 3 Josh Paschal, Year 2 Brodric Martin, and Rookie Mekhi Wingo. 60+ Total QB Pressures is not out of the question.

Worth noting, McNeill averaged 3 QB Pressures/Game in the Playoffs as well after returning from Injury.

From Weeks 3-13, Lions DT Alim McNeill averaged 3.2 Total QB Pressures/Game (Knee Sprain Week 13). Extrapolated over a 17-Game Regular Season that is 54.4 QB Pressures which would have tied him with Leonard Williams for 11th Most among Interior DL (just ahead of Javon Hargave/DeForest Buckner).

Now Alim McNeill, entering Year 4, gets to play on an interior with DJ Reader, Year 3 Josh Paschal, Year 2 Brodric Martin, and Rookie Mekhi Wingo. 60+ Total QB Pressures is not out of the question.

Worth noting, McNeill averaged 3 QB Pressures/Game in the Playoffs as well after returning from Injury.
I think new D-Line coach Terrell Williams is going to have a huge impact on the entire line.

Until the Panthers finish their season, nothing more the Lions can do, but his leg is legit.

With the new kickoff rules, having a good return guy is becoming important.

Users who are viewing this thread