What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - waiting to see some football! (4 Viewers)

There we go! Now for the GM and OC
I always assume there is going to be one or two degrees of separation with these hires. If AP, and no one currently employed by the Raiders has never worked with someone, I think it's unlikely that someone has a shot.

AP has had Marvin Lewis around, and is expected to join the team, in some capacity.

There we go! Now for the GM and OC
I always assume there is going to be one or two degrees of separation with these hires. If AP, and no one currently employed by the Raiders has never worked with someone, I think it's unlikely that someone has a shot.

AP has had Marvin Lewis around, and is expected to join the team, in some capacity.
I think champ will get the job. And have no clue who the OC will be.

The Raiders are finalizing a deal to make Antonio Pierce their Head Coach.

Per @AdamSchefter
Best news of the day. This was an easy decision but you never know with the Raiders. I’m excited for next season. Sure, there are still plenty of holes to fill on the field but at least we have a good coach leading the team. I can’t remember when I was actually happy with our coach. Maybe Gruden the first time? It was certainly not McD or Gruden the second time.

Mork makes the right move, finally. Was starting to get nervous for a minute there.

Now get a GM that can work with AP to find a legit OC/system, address OL/DL needs, convince Jacobs to sign for a moderate price, and of course, find a capable arm or two to compete with and push AOC. Between cap space and draft picks, they have the capital to address all these needs this offseason if they choose wisely.

PFF
@PFF
·
1h
Since Antonio Pierce took over as interim head coach, the Raiders:

☠️ 16.0 PPG allowed (1st)
☠️ 30 sacks (T-3rd)
☠️ 4 defensive TDs (1st)
☠️ 31 penalties (fewest)
☠️ +62 point differential (4th)

:cool:
im so stoked to watch these guys all off season , the draft and FA signings....then training camp ...with APs positive vibe and energy .

This just feels different than what we`ve been force fed the last decade .

I like that Davis is changing the power structure. One egomaniac coach who demands personnel control and hires his own GM with little to no checks and balances doesn’t work in today’s NFL.

Mork makes the right move, finally. Was starting to get nervous for a minute there.

Now get a GM that can work with AP to find a legit OC/system, address OL/DL needs, convince Jacobs to sign for a moderate price, and of course, find a capable arm or two to compete with and push AOC. Between cap space and draft picks, they have the capital to address all these needs this offseason if they choose wisely.
Would rather see the team use the money to upgrade the oline than spend it on Jacobs. White proved to be more than capable as a lead back.

Well we have our coach. I'm lukewarm on it, but it's got a lot of potential. It's a risky move going with someone with so little experience and there will certainly be some growing pains and mistakes. Can he put together a staff, especially on the offensive side? Graham will be moving on soon too one way or another and AP doesn't exactly have a big network of NFL personnel. Not sure if that's truly a bad thing or not, might force more open/natural interview and recruitment?

There's a lot to like though. We played clean, hardass football. Guys clearly loved him and loved playing for him. and best in the league in minimizing penalties. Those are the two things I have been most embarrassed by as a Raider fan, that we looked like clowns far too often. If we give that level of effort and minimize the (especially stupid) mistakes (yes YOU Tillery) then I can live with whatever happens on the field.

GM is next. I want Telesco. He built some strong rosters in his past stops and if we can't keep Champ Kelly we'll get comp picks if he gets a GM job elsewhere. No hate for Champ and if it's him I'll support it - our roster is actually not a disaster so whatever part he had in that or learned from while it was being done can't hurt - but Telesco is a far superior option.

OC/offensive staff is going to make or break 2024. Not expecting an All-Pro QB right away, but man we have to improve that fast. We beat one team with a winning record in Pierce's interim phase and has two other stinkers including a donut against a bad MIN team that might have kept us out of the playoffs. My sleeper pick here would be for Philly to clean house and we snag up Brian Johnson. He's a young guy that's up and coming and just took some learning hits but might get scapegoated right out of town. 3 months ago he was on the hot list of next HC candidates.

QB goes without saying, no one wins in the NFL without high level at a minimum play from the QB. I want to get aggressive. We can't afford to move to #1 if it's even available, but we could move into the later top 10 if the "right" guy is there. Will he be? I would have LOVED Shedeur Sanders but he didn't come out. I'd be great with Jayden Daniels but kind of doubt he'll get past the Pats but if NEP new regime isn't sold and wants to move down for picks I say go all in. I said the same about Stroud last year and no price is too great if you get it right.

If we don't draft a QB then give me Fields. Give up a 3rd this year and a conditional 1st next - we make the playoffs, Fields plays 75% of the snaps, CHI get our 2025 1st. That's swing for the fences we only pay for if we connect. It's only a two year committment for $3.2M in 2024 and $23M in 2025 and if we don't like it we let him walk with a comp pick in return. If we can unlock the Good Fields regularly we win this at any price we give. He's got the physical talents to land anywhere from Jalen Hurts to Josh Allen under the right coach/system and we have a pretty solid supporting cast for him including a far better OL already.

I get the tempatation to roll with AOC - what a steal it would be to get an eventual Kirk Cousins level of play from the previous regime in the 4th round and use the current premium picks to build around him (Cousins was also a 4th round pick). But here are the QB's drafted in the 4th from 2016-2022 (Howell was 5.01 in 2022):

Joshua Dobbs
Kyle Lauletta
Ryann Finley
Jarrett Stidham
Jacob Eason
James Morgan
Ian Book
Bailey Zappe
Conner Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones

Even if we get the Dak Prescott pick, what has that really done for them? All my Cowboy friend have been screaming to move on from him for at least 4 years now.

I like the Fields scenario, not for a first rounder though. A third? Fine.

I like using the second or third this year on a QB to develop/challenge AOC and using the money elsewhere better. Not opposed to getting Russell Wilson for a million for one year and making it a three way competition.

A 3rd and 1st for a playoff QB is a win. Obviously I'd rather not give it up if we don't have to but a 3rd alone isn't going to get it done. Darnold was a 6th and future 2nd and 4th and CAR got nothing out of him. Rosen was a 2nd and 5th flamed out instantly. Putting a big pick out there should be a big enough carrot that we get it done and the conditions protect us against a flameout.

OC/offensive staff is going to make or break 2024. Not expecting an All-Pro QB right away, but man we have to improve that fast. We beat one team with a winning record in Pierce's interim phase and has two other stinkers including a donut against a bad MIN team that might have kept us out of the playoffs. My sleeper pick here would be for Philly to clean house and we snag up Brian Johnson. He's a young guy that's up and coming and just took some learning hits but might get scapegoated right out of town. 3 months ago he was on the hot list of next HC candidates.

If we don't draft a QB then give me Fields. Give up a 3rd this year and a conditional 1st next - we make the playoffs, Fields plays 75% of the snaps, CHI get our 2025 1st. That's swing for the fences we only pay for if we connect. It's only a two year committment for $3.2M in 2024 and $23M in 2025 and if we don't like it we let him walk with a comp pick in return. If we can unlock the Good Fields regularly we win this at any price we give. He's got the physical talents to land anywhere from Jalen Hurts to Josh Allen under the right coach/system and we have a pretty solid supporting cast for him including a far better OL already.
No thanks on Brian Johnson. The Eagles completely fell apart. Their D gets most of the blame for the collapse, but the offensive collapse was almost as bad. Hurts regressed and they had no answers scheme wise to teams blitzing them even when they knew it was coming from guys like Martindale and Bowles.

I'm with you on Fields depending on the price. I would think a 2 would get it done, but maybe you're right and it will cost a bit more.

I think Fields costs no less than a 2nd and a 5th.
Do it! It’s going to cost a lot more to move up to get a top tier rookie QB. They all don’t become CJ Stroud, more often than not, they become Zack Wilson. Go with the known commodity with upside in Fields.

I don’t understand how a promising young QB like Fields doesn’t have “1st round pick” as part of a trade scenario.

I don’t understand how a promising young QB like Fields doesn’t have “1st round pick” as part of a trade scenario.
He might. Depends on what teams are willing to pay I guess.
Agreed he might, but Fields also comes with the knowledge that his salary spikes after 1 year (either 5th year option or extension) and if the Bears go QB, they can't really keep Fields around and likely divide the team, especially as Fields is very popular in that locker room.

I have no idea, but I am interested to see how it shakes out.
Several teams will be out on him for various reasons. Maybe ATL and the Raiders are in on him, and maybe they aren't. If they aren't it might affect his price. If it winds up where everyone knows only one team is in on Fields, they get a bargain. If it leaks that some team called about Fields right after the draft, there might be a bidding war.

Fields' 5th year option is like $25 mill. Honestly, that's a bargain, even if he doesn't improve at all, these numbers are fine.

The only real problem with Fields is if he plays decent to pretty well the next two years and you still aren't sure if he's a difference making QB and have to pay him $45M per year after that like the Daniel Jones situation. I'm ok with going after him and finding out though, but I wouldn't give up a 1 for him.

The only real problem with Fields is if he plays decent to pretty well the next two years and you still aren't sure if he's a difference making QB and have to pay him $45M per year after that like the Daniel Jones situation. I'm ok with going after him and finding out though, but I wouldn't give up a 1 for him.
Two 2nds would be ok with me

Vincent Bonsignore
@VinnyBonsignore
Some offensive coordinator possibilities for @Raiders
: Zac Robinson (Rams) Klint Kubiak (49ers) Adam Stenavich (Packers) Shane Waldron (Seahawks), Brian Fleury (49ers)
Of those who do you guys prefer ?
Really comes down to what system AP wants to emulate. I personally think what Robinson did with the Rams this past season was impressive. Of course anyone from the Shanahan tree is a hot commodity. I could be wrong but I think Waldron has the most experience of this group. I heard rumors of Kingsbury as well which would be a good hire especially if they traded for Fields.

I think Champ Kelly has a pretty safe job, but it might not be as GM.

Because even if you like Dodds as GM, Kelly is getting interviewed for GM jobs. You don't fire a guy who might get you two 3rd round picks.

Sign Dodds as GM, and tell Kelly he keeps the same job, and we will do everything in our power to get you a GM job somewhere, if he doesn't get one this time round.

Because even if you like Dodds as GM, Kelly is getting interviewed for GM jobs. You don't fire a guy who might get you two 3rd round picks.

Sign Dodds as GM, and tell Kelly he keeps the same job, and we will do everything in our power to get you a GM job somewhere, if he doesn't get one this time round.
Makes sense. You’d think if Champ were a lock for the GM job, they’d announce it by now. I still think he has the inside track for the job but something just isn’t sitting right to me. A lot of Dodds talk lately…

He might, but the big knock is that any new team doesn't have a fresh clock. Why give up a 1st on a guy that still has questions but you only get one more "cheap" year of, then a 5th year for $23M, then you're on the clock for FT/big money? Why not just draft a guy and get the full 4 years of rookie contract?

When will the Raiders have an official presser to introduce our new full time HC ? I love listening to AP talk , its always positive

Makes sense. You’d think if Champ were a lock for the GM job, they’d announce it by now. I still think he has the inside track for the job but something just isn’t sitting right to me. A lot of Dodds talk lately…
What if Dodds is named VP of Football operations and Champ Kelly GM?

The Raiders have fired the following coaches:

- Jerry Schupkinski (TE)
- Matt Lombardi (Assistant WR/Analyst)
- Matt Edwards (DT)
- Chris Ash (S)
- Keith Hayward (Defensive Quality Control)

I like using the second or third this year on a QB to develop/challenge AOC and using the money elsewhere better. Not opposed to getting Russell Wilson for a million for one year and making it a three way competition.
I get the appeal to Fields, but have some concerns. I am not sure he elevates the talent around him. I don’t disagree he represents an upgrade tho.

A side consideration is building an offensive scheme that fits Fields. His strength is in a RPO system. Where does that leave AOC?

I get the appeal to Fields, but have some concerns. I am not sure he elevates the talent around him. I don’t disagree he represents an upgrade tho.

A side consideration is building an offensive scheme that fits Fields. His strength is in a RPO system. Where does that leave AOC?
AP raises everyone's talent level , guys play harder for him . Maybe AP could do the same with Fields , maybe we havent seen a truly inspired Fields yet . You never know , he may be better than hes shown so far.

A side consideration is building an offensive scheme that fits Fields.
right right right.

I think the number of teams interested in Fields might be less because the perception may be that you gotta run something like BAL ran with Lamar until last year. BAL changed everything on offense, promoted Greg Roman, and installed an offense for Lamar.

You take every team that needs a QB. How many just aren't interested in doing that? These teams have OCs that have run a certain offense, they were hired because they had success with that offense, and they are going to change it for Fields? Not everyone is gonna wanna do that.

When Pierce hires his staff, we might have a clue if they are interested.

AP raises everyone's talent level , guys play harder for him . Maybe AP could do the same with Fields , maybe we havent seen a truly inspired Fields yet . You never know , he may be better than hes shown so far.
It is certainly within the range of possible outcomes and would be extremely impressive if AP could raise Fields' level. Fields upside is worth the risk, but I would not want to give up a 1st for him.

A side consideration is building an offensive scheme that fits Fields.
right right right.

I think the number of teams interested in Fields might be less because the perception may be that you gotta run something like BAL ran with Lamar until last year. BAL changed everything on offense, promoted Greg Roman, and installed an offense for Lamar.

You take every team that needs a QB. How many just aren't interested in doing that? These teams have OCs that have run a certain offense, they were hired because they had success with that offense, and they are going to change it for Fields? Not everyone is gonna wanna do that.

When Pierce hires his staff, we might have a clue if they are interested.
Agree.

As a side note, while everyone seems to be praising Monken for changing the offensive approach of the Ravens offense, they were still among the teams with the highest percentage of rush attempts. I suspect players like LJax and Fields are never going to be traditional dropback passers, no matter who the coach is. They have had past success with that style of play, which is very difficult to change at this stage in their careers.

Former Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury is a “name to watch” for the Raiders’ vacant offensive coordinator position, per: AlbertBreer

Other names mentioned by Breer include former Seahawks OC Shane Waldron and former Bears OC Luke Getty.

Users who are viewing this thread