What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (7 Viewers)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.

His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
A villain big and bold.
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won.

Another season lost , but this one feels different. I have hope if AP stays on with PG ad Champ this team could really do something next season .

If they bring in another HC and he purges the current staff i wont be nearly as excited , even if its the almighty Harbaugh

Draft pick #12 or #13.

QB is the #2 need.

Getting competent coaching/leadership is far and away the #1 need.
- I'm fine with AP, the guys clearly love him and play for him. It will be critical he make a good OC hire to develop whatever QB we bring in and/or AOC.
- I'm also fine with one of the hot OC guys - Ben Johnson from Detroit is most interesting to me. Bobby Slowik worked wonders with Stroud but he's a stud so how much was the coach? If nothing else though he very likely at a minimum shortened the learning curve. Doug Johnson (Philly OC) was getting a lot of love early on as well.
- I'm lukewarm on Harbaugh, mostly because I don't want to have to count on a skunkweasel but I made it work with Woodson and if he wins I'll make it work for him.
- My wildcard would be David Shaw, former HC at Stanford. Maybe he even takes an OC job to break into the league? That would be the best of both worlds to pair him with AP.

Make a decision at RB. I'd like to see Jacobs back on another 1 year deal. Offer him $13M again. We aren't desperate for the cap money right now and it sends an important message that we want to retain our own. I'm fine with letting him go if he want big guarantees, that's the risk we have to avoid and we can't overcommit at the postion. The position is just too plug-and-play these days.

We have a defense and hopefully we keep the entire defensive staff. Highly likely if AP returns.

Last edited:
missed the playoffs again…but more optimistic. Especially if we retain AP and Champ.

2024 opponents:
Home: Browns, Falcons, Panthers, Steelers, Jaguars, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs
Away: Bengals, Buccaneers, Ravens, Saints, Loser of Bills/Dolphins, Rams, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs

Before the game I was leaning towards Harbaugh, but now I'm for Pierce for sure. I won't be upset if Harbaugh is hired but I like Pierce and he feels like a Raider.

- My wildcard would be David Shaw, former HC at Stanford. Maybe he even takes an OC job to break into the league? That would be the best of both worlds to pair him with AP.

Man, I don’t get the infatuation with Shaw. If you followed Stanford closely you would not include Shaw in your wish list. He is extremely conservative and unimaginative. He ran out of gas at Stanford.

Pass.

I was thinking about why AP feels different than Basachia, and among other notable things, one major standout to me is that Rich had been a highly NFL coach for a very long time prior to his run as Raiders HC, and yet no one until then (or since) mentioned him as a prospective HC... AP, OTOH, is a young, barely experienced NFL coach, who could just be a completely unexpected phenom. He absolutely has shown more than a few reasons to think that could be the case.

Two games out of nine this season without a single penalty. Least penalties in the league this season as a whole. 5-4 and importantly, 3-1 against the AFC-W and 1-1 vs. KC. Best defense in at least a decade. And despite the Vikings debacle, AOC finished 8-0 TD-Int his final four games to close the season.

AP is easily and by far and away my 1a pick to be the Raiders' HC for at least 2024, and hopefully long beyond.

Man, I don’t get the infatuation with Shaw. If you followed Stanford closely you would not include Shaw in your wish list. He is extremely conservative and unimaginative. He ran out of gas at Stanford.

Pass.
I agree, hard pass for me as well.

I was thinking about why AP feels different than Basachia, and among other notable things, one major standout to me is that Rich had been a highly NFL coach for a very long time prior to his run as Raiders HC, and yet no one until then (or since) mentioned him as a prospective HC... AP, OTOH, is a young, barely experienced NFL coach, who could just be a completely unexpected phenom. He absolutely has shown more than a few reasons to think that could be the case.

Two games out of nine this season without a single penalty. Least penalties in the league this season as a whole. 5-4 and importantly, 3-1 against the AFC-W and 1-1 vs. KC. Best defense in at least a decade. And despite the Vikings debacle, AOC finished 8-0 TD-Int his final four games to close the season.

AP is easily and by far and away my 1a pick to be the Raiders' HC for at least 2024, and hopefully long beyond.
Did you see the crowd chanting AP at the game yesterday? This guy has brought a positive energy thats so powerful that the fans arent even that upset the Raiders didnt make the playoffs , they have just enjoyed watching this team play with so much enthusiasm . AP has brought everyone together like one big happy family . The players would be biting at the bit to get back at it after the summer if AP is named HC . The Raiders alumni were in the locker room after yesterdays game and they were as excited and pumped by APs energy and words that they looked like THEY wanted to play on this team for this coach. We may have , like you said , a young phenom right here right now , and could kill this chance trying to grab a guy who just doesnt connect with the players and the fans they way AP does . I`m praying Harbaugh has no interest in coaching the Raiders and goes somewhere else and takes himself out of the equation , and please for the love of god , dont go after Belichick .

Not to pull forward a bunch of old conversations from 2023 season forward... but ...

Figured I'd update this with the final game stats. It's only fair to AOC
RkPlayerAgeFromToGGSCmpAttIncCmp%YdsTDIntPick6TD%Int%RateSkYdsSk%Y/AAY/AANY/AY/CAVFantPt
1Derek Carr2320142014161634859925158.13270211213.52.076.6241493.855.55.264.829.45192.0
2Aidan O'Connell2520232023111021334313062.1221812703.52.083.9241736.56.56.25.3710.4
O'Connell : Avg to 1630949919032261710

*3rd row is taking O'Connell's game average across 11 games and to calculate a 16 game period. Those numbers would be better as he didn't play the full 11 games. Granted I don't know if Carr played all 16 either.

In Carr's rookie season the Raiders when 3-13
O'Connell is credited with a 9 game record of 5-5

This isn't to say that I think the Raiders should roll with AOC - just a fun comparison of the #4 Jersey

So the coaching thing will take a bit. Sooooo, in the meantime:

QBs that could be Raiders next year (Let's leave Maye/Caleb out):

Cousins
Fields

Penix
Daniels (I am seeing him in the top 3, but I feel like that's not a lock, he might be in trade up range)
Nix
McCarthy

Who you like? Who you don't like?

Standing by for AP announcement tomorrow morning. 🤞🤞🤞
This won't happen, because the Rooney Rule requires two external minority candidates first.
For real though…do we have to? We already have a minority head coach. Do we really have to do that dance? I feel like other teams have skirted that rule recently too. Not saying I like that teams that circumvent it and want us to do the same. It’s just that the spirit of the Rooney Rule is to make sure minority candidates are considered in the process. We would be hiring a ministry candidate so it seems like it shouldn’t apply.

typing all of this but I’ve never read a line of any NFL rules ;)

The more i read about Detroit HC Dan Campbell , the more i want AP .

The similarities are kind of wild .

Known for his high energy, passion for the game, aggressive play calling, and memorable statements, at his introductory news conference with the Lions he said his team would "bite a kneecap off" their opponents. Campbell has become one of the more recognizable coaches in the NFL, and a fan favorite of Lions and NFL fans alike.

Pressure to sack ratio.

Don't look if you a AOC stan

Not quite clear on how they are tabulating those metrics, but obvious to assume both measure pocket awareness and escapability (not an actual word), which we all know are AOC's biggest weaknesses. The only way he can get past them is to process and decide and throw like a Brady/Manning/Rivers. He already throws passes like they did (accuracy, timing, pace), but the processing was notably slower by a good margin compared to those three during their rookie seasons. That said, it's a part of the game that can be improved upon with experience, proper coaching/system/OL, and of course, diligent effort from the player - hence why I'm not ready to toss AOC into a trash heap.

Should they bring in a legit competitor or two to challenge/push AOC? 100%. Should it be a 1st rounder or big $$$ FA? Only IF that player has the look and feel of a can't miss stud. Not sure yet if any of the Raiders-available offseason QBs fit that mold, but if one does and the Raiders can get him, then go. If not, wait until Rd 2+ of the draft or free agency, then let said acquisitions earn their place by competing against Stone Shoes.

Raiders would be wise to solidify the coaching staff, OL and DL first, before swinging big capital (which includes the opportunity cost of seeing how AOC could develop) on a QB that has warts. The cheat code in this league right now is capable rookie-deal QB + elite defensive play from blue-collar defensive rosters. Somehow the Raiders find themselves with the latter, and at least have some signs of potential for the former, if they can fix the OL and OC/system this offseason.

If I were an NFL GM, I'd aim to draft a Rd 2+ QB every year, until I found myself a true franchise QB. And even then, I'd still aim to do so for depth and trade capital. Mid-round picks are easily acquired by trading down just a few spots in the first three rounds. I would regularly look for trade down opps to hoard mid-rounders, in general, and I would push the org to spend however much is needed on the absolute most elite scouting/analytics to maximize those picks.

Look at the Rams blueprint last offseason - they rebuilt the roster in one draft without a first-round pick. They had 14 picks total, all of which made the 53 man roster! Of those, four have started all season, and two should be considered for All-Pro selection this year. That kind of result comes way more from skill and process than luck.

ROUND 3 (NO. 89 OVERALL): DI KOBIE TURNER, WAKE FOREST

Within 13 picks, the Rams accomplished the almost impossible task of revamping their defensive line. Young provides the edge threat, and Turner has quietly been just as effective, if not more, on the inside. Turner’s 84.6 overall grade ranks eighth among interior defenders this season and 22nd among all defensive linemen.

Turner has been one of the most effective interior pass rushers in the NFL this season, too. His 45 pressures are the 17th most at the position, and his 80.2 pass-rush grade ranks 11th. Turner has more pressures and sacks than Eagles rookie first-round pick Jalen Carter, and since Week 12, Turner has the second-most pressures among all NFL interior defenders — including a 10-pressure outing against the Giants in Week 17.

ROUND 5 (NO. 177 OVERALL): WR PUKA NACUA, BYU

Wow. Puka Nacua has done nothing but set records in his rookie season. The fifth-round pick from BYU has 101 receptions for 1,445 receiving yards through 16 games. He needs four catches in Week 18 to break Jaylen Waddle’s record for most receptions in a rookie season, and 29 yards to break the single-season receiving yards record for a rookie set by Bill Groman in 1960.

Nacua has been a revelation in the Rams' offense. His 88.2 grade ranks 10th among all receivers this season, and he places fourth in receiving yards. Nacua also has seven games with at least an 80.0 PFF grade.

ROUND 3 (NO. 89 OVERALL): DI KOBIE TURNER, WAKE FOREST

Within 13 picks, the Rams accomplished the almost impossible task of revamping their defensive line. Young provides the edge threat, and Turner has quietly been just as effective, if not more, on the inside. Turner’s 84.6 overall grade ranks eighth among interior defenders this season and 22nd among all defensive linemen.

Turner has been one of the most effective interior pass rushers in the NFL this season, too. His 45 pressures are the 17th most at the position, and his 80.2 pass-rush grade ranks 11th. Turner has more pressures and sacks than Eagles rookie first-round pick Jalen Carter, and since Week 12, Turner has the second-most pressures among all NFL interior defenders — including a 10-pressure outing against the Giants in Week 17.

ROUND 2 (NO. 36 OVERALL): G STEVE AVILA, TCU

Avila stepped into the chaos that was the Rams' offensive line with the assurance that he’d be a day-one starter due to a lack of talent around him. That projection materialized, and the former second-round pick has been a solid addition at left guard. He has played 100% of the team’s offensive snaps, and earned a 59.9 overall grade in 2023 — the seventh-highest mark among all rookie offensive linemen this season.

Of the 71 guards who have played more than 400 snaps this season, he ranks 26th in pressure rate allowed (5.1%). And since Week 9, Aliva has a 79.4 pass-blocking grade, ranking sixth at the position.

The #Raiders requested an interview with #Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds for their GM job, per source.
Adam Peters as well, the AGM for the 49ers.

Colts, and even moreso, the Niners have drafted very well in recent years. Seem like good places to look to unearth potential GM competition and/or glean insights into how those operations do it. Wouldn't mind seeing someone from the Rams and/or Ravens come in for a visit as well.

The #Raiders requested an interview with #Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds for their GM job, per source.
Adam Peters as well, the AGM for the 49ers.

Colts, and even moreso, the Niners have drafted very well in recent years. Seem like good places to look to unearth potential GM competition and/or glean insights into how those operations do it. Wouldn't mind seeing someone from the Rams and/or Ravens come in for a visit as well.
I like your thinking. The poor drafting for the last decade has really hurt this team. It looks like AP can coach. Now we need to get some game changers on the roster as well as those solid players that don’t hurt your team.

Dodds worked with Harbaugh before.

:oldunsure:

Vic Tafur
@VicTafur
Raiders have also requested permission to speak with Bengals senior personnel executive Trey Brown and Bills director of player personnel Terrance Gray, per
@TomPelissero. Brown and Ed Dodds also interviewed for the GM job n 2022.

Only (and now Vrabel makes 6) openings for HC this year, that's low, and that bodes very well for us retaining Graham at DC.

Last edited:
Only 5 openings for HC this year, that's low, and that bodes very well for us retaining Graham at DC.
I think Graham deserves all the praise and respect in the world for turning the defense around and should be getting HC interviews but his demeanor just doesn’t scream HC to me. He’s one of those highly intelligent awkward people, going from his press conferences at least. I know the players like him as well. But it seems like the teams with current HC openings are going for big dogs like Harbaugh and offensive minds instead of sneaky, smart DCs like PG. I could be totally wrong but anyone who followed the Raiders this season knows AP was the leader of the team while Graham was the puppet master of the defense.

Only 5 openings for HC this year, that's low, and that bodes very well for us retaining Graham at DC.
I think Graham deserves all the praise and respect in the world for turning the defense around and should be getting HC interviews but his demeanor just doesn’t scream HC to me. He’s one of those highly intelligent awkward people, going from his press conferences at least. I know the players like him as well. But it seems like the teams with current HC openings are going for big dogs like Harbaugh and offensive minds instead of sneaky, smart DCs like PG. I could be totally wrong but anyone who followed the Raiders this season knows AP was the leader of the team while Graham was the puppet master of the defense

Graham's standing in the league probably got a bump when McDummy was removed and AP allowed Graham to run the D they way it was intended.

I was under the impression that defensive minded coaches were not preferred as head coaches
They usually aren’t and I don’t see an owner like Tepper or the new owner in Washington hiring a guy like Graham. Most of the fan base wouldn’t even know who he is. They’re going to be going for big names and offensive minded coaches.

Do we really need a new Raider thread every year? Why not just have a running Raider thread? I always find myself trying to monitor Raider posts in two different threads this time each year. Just a thought and a post to mark this thread.

Do we really need a new Raider thread every year? Why not just have a running Raider thread? I always find myself trying to monitor Raider posts in two different threads this time each year. Just a thought and a post to mark this thread.
I mostly do it just to post The Autumn Wind again. If more prefer it I can just update thread title going foward (but I am still posting The Autumn Wind every new season).

We are interviewing a few people for the GM role. Champ has a few interviews with other teams like the Panthers and Commanders. I am not sure about the GM role but I know with the HC role we can not appoint AP as the HC and have to interview at least one other person. We also gave the staff permission to interview elsewhere which seems to indicate that AP is not locked in but on the other hand, this is not AP's staff so it might not be that much of a tipping of the hand.
The Rooney Rule requires we interview a minimum of TWO external minority candidates for each position.

Yes, are thread is much more active than anyone else's. The yearly break down helps keep it clearer. We just gotta get through January and we'll all figure it out.

Yes, are thread is much more active than anyone else's. The yearly break down helps keep it clearer. We just gotta get through January and we'll all figure it out.
No, but wow we are 122 pages on 2023 alone so that's impressive. Bears thread from 2017 is only 228 for reference, Patriots from 2014 are 168.

Jets and Eagles are probably the only ones more active than ours.

Users who are viewing this thread