What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (9 Viewers)

Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
BREAKING: Free agent RB Alexander Mattison is signing with the #Raiders, sources tell @BleacherReport.Still just 25 years old, Mattison had 17 TDs in five seasons with the #Vikings.
I want to see what the deal is before I say I like it but assuming we didn't overpay... I like it. As I already outlined, he is very similar to Josh Jacobs (but perhaps with better hands and less vision). A good compliment to Zeus. Fills a hole where we still have the luxury of drafting a RB if one comes up we like but we don't have to press that and reach because of need.
I've heard he's good with pass blocking as well.

Outside rotation of Maxx, Koonce and Wilson, and an interior rotation of Willkins, Butler, Jenkins, and Wilson looks pretty great for March, I must say.

Incontrovertible fact: If Tyree Wilson becomes ANY kind of a problem this fall, we will 100% be in discussion for best DL in the league. And I mean, ANY. We don't need him to develop fully. Just make some noise.

Outside rotation of Maxx, Koonce and Wilson, and an interior rotation of Willkins, Butler, Jenkins, and Wilson looks pretty great for March, I must say.

Incontrovertible fact: If Tyree Wilson becomes ANY kind of a problem this fall, we will 100% be in discussion for best DL in the league. And I mean, ANY. We don't need him to develop fully. Just make some noise.
Though Maxx and Wilkins don't like coming out (and don't really want them to come out)... I love the ability we have to rotate guys in and out for those other two spots. Reminds me of when the Giants had that Dline with tons of talent that they rotated in and out... caused huge problems all day long for offenses. If Wilson gets better (and I do think getting better is a lock, it is more of a question of how much better) ooooooooooooooooooooooo weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! There is going to be some good defensive play going on. Be able to play like Al always wanted to... rush 4 and then let the secondary lock people down for the 2 seconds that they have to get rid of the ball.

And on top of that....the Chefs have lost their left side of their line. Is Wanya Morris up to the task of LT? Who is their LG? They have $15 million right now so unless they cut/trade/renegotiate they don't have a lot of room to sign impact players. With "Jordan Rules" and that talent after him Mahomes may not make it out alive after the first game against us.

Just imagine if the Raiders select Byron Murphy or Newton, and Wilson develops into a legitimate DE. 👀

Although I prefer a tackle at that pick, that scenario would certainly be a positive step in thwarting Mahomes.
I was thinking Murphy too... most mock drafts have him available there and more than a couple us taking him.

I think plan A is to make moves to get a QB. Plan B is if plan A fails see who is at 13 from the QB's and if we like them at all. Plan C may be to look at BPA for a guy like Murphy. Rotate him in with our current stable of DT's.... Maxx and Koonce and hopefully a developed Wilson.

DANG.
Add DL to the list of positions that I didn’t want them to take at 1.13. The best OL is the way to go. IMHO

I hate to be that guy, but Mattison stinks. I hope they didn’t pay him more than three million for the year. He’s a plodder’s plodder.
You’re not alone. He lost his starting spot to Ty Chandler in Minnesota. He had the job basically handed to him when they didn’t resign Dalvin Cook and he couldn’t keep it. But they need RBs, they’ll probably draft one too. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the final roster.

Just imagine if the Raiders select Byron Murphy or Newton, and Wilson develops into a legitimate DE. 👀

Although I prefer a tackle at that pick, that scenario would certainly be a positive step in thwarting Mahomes.
I was thinking Murphy too... most mock drafts have him available there and more than a couple us taking him.

I think plan A is to make moves to get a QB. Plan B is if plan A fails see who is at 13 from the QB's and if we like them at all. Plan C may be to look at BPA for a guy like Murphy. Rotate him in with our current stable of DT's.... Maxx and Koonce and hopefully a developed Wilson.

DANG.
Add DL to the list of positions that I didn’t want them to take at 1.13. The best OL is the way to go. IMHO
I agree. I was just throwing it out there for discussing. Oline is the biggest need, but taking a stud like Murphy would get the hive buzzing.
:biggrin:

I don’t know much about Mattison, but as long as the contract is good for the team 👍. I seem to remember him killing me in a magic football game once. :shrug:

OG Zeitler from the Ravens ended up signing for one year with the Lions yesterday. The league seemed to discount the guy for being 34 years old, but OL tend to age better than others, and he was solid for the Ravens the last three years, including making the Pro Bowl last year.

Raiders better re-ink Van Roten now, who was very serviceable last season - or they will have a gaping hole at OG heading into the draft.

OG Zeitler from the Ravens ended up signing for one year with the Lions yesterday. The league seemed to discount the guy for being 34 years old, but OL tend to age better than others, and he was solid for the Ravens the last three years, including making the Pro Bowl last year.

Raiders better re-ink Van Roten now, who was very serviceable last season - or they will have a gaping hole at OG heading into the draft.
There’s video out there of GVR putting Chris Jones on his back during the Christmas Day game. He’s got a nasty streak, hopefully they resign him.

I figured it out.

Roll with current QB's.
NYJ flail out of the gate.
NYJ coaching staff all get whacked.
We trade AOC for Rodgers
Win SuperBowl
Graham gets a HC job we get comp picks
We hire Saleh as DC and get more comp picks when he gets another HC shot

I figured it out.

Roll with current QB's.
NYJ flail out of the gate.
NYJ coaching staff all get whacked.
We trade AOC for Rodgers
Win SuperBowl
Graham gets a HC job we get comp picks
We hire Saleh as DC and get more comp picks when he gets another HC shot
What is the contingency plan if Rogers decides to be run for VP of America?

I don't get the hate on Mattison. He is a role player being brought in to add with Abdullah behind Zeus. I am betting we will see a much more RBBC than we have seen in past years. Mattison can easily have a role in that and on top of it, he provides depth at RB which then frees us to either grab a RB or not in the draft. As I already outlined, by his physical and NFL stats, he is basically a poor mans Josh Jacobs and should come as a poor man's cost. As long as the deal is right around $3 million, then I think we made a smart great signing. If it is noticeably higher than that, then I would not be as happy.

I don't get the hate on Mattison. He is a role player being brought in to add with Abdullah behind Zeus. I am betting we will see a much more RBBC than we have seen in past years. Mattison can easily have a role in that and on top of it, he provides depth at RB which then frees us to either grab a RB or not in the draft. As I already outlined, by his physical and NFL stats, he is basically a poor mans Josh Jacobs and should come as a poor man's cost. As long as the deal is right around $3 million, then I think we made a smart great signing. If it is noticeably higher than that, then I would not be as happy.
I can only speak for myself, I do not “hate” Mattison but I think he is washed.

Comparing Jacobs career stats to Mattison, I see that Mattison’s ypc has steadily declined since his rookie year. Jacob’s has been more up and down.

I see a similar decline in Mattison’s Y/R. His career Y/R the last 2 years was 6.1 and 6.4, which is mediocre.

But more important, is the eye test. Mattison was performing so poorly LY that he first lost the job as the starter, then was relegated to the bench.

I view Mattison as having a similar impact as Brandon Bolden.

But more important, is the eye test. Mattison was performing so poorly LY that he first lost the job as the starter, then was relegated to the bench.

This. Maybe Mattison was hurt last year. But even prior, when he was fresh, healthy and gobbling Dalvin Cook's sloppy seconds, he never impressed me.

I hope even his 2024 money is nowhere near guaranteed. Prove-it camp vet deal is all that I'd consider acceptable here. Hope even more that he proves me wrong.

Daniel Jeremiah has the Raiders taking Penix at #13 in his newest mock. Why do we care? Because Jeremiah is probably the most connected mock drafter out there. Last year he called the Houston/Arizona trade in his final mock. He knows his stuff. Especially pay attention to that last mock that he puts out the night before the draft.
Him linking Penix to the Raiders has substance and worth noting. Hopefully not at #13, maybe they trade back. But drafting Penix could be a real thing if this guy is putting it out there.

My opinion on the Mattison signing will depend heavily on the details of the contract. But until those details are known, I'm ok with the addition. He isn't being brought in to replace Jacobs one for one. Zamir is moving up the depth chart, leaving a hole that Mattison <may> fill. Or a rookie RB may. Maybe he finds a spark in a new offense... maybe this is his last contract... anything is possible. But I totally get the lack of excitement for the addition. I mean this is the point of FA where we, as fans, want every signing to be a home run.

My opinion on the Mattison signing will depend heavily on the details of the contract. But until those details are known, I'm ok with the addition. He isn't being brought in to replace Jacobs one for one. Zamir is moving up the depth chart, leaving a hole that Mattison <may> fill. Or a rookie RB may. Maybe he finds a spark in a new offense... maybe this is his last contract... anything is possible. But I totally get the lack of excitement for the addition. I mean this is the point of FA where we, as fans, want every signing to be a home run.
Agreed absolutely. I expect a $3 million contract and I am good with that. If we overpaid then I will pick up my pitchfork and be grumpy as well. He is a piece behind Zeus. I expect Abdullah to get more work this year as well. I think it allows us the flexibility to take or not take a RB depending on what the draft gives or takes. He isn't a replacement for Josh, he is a depth/committee piece. It isn't anything to be excited about but I certainly don't see why I am seeing the sad/mad faces as well. You can't have a Wilkins addition for every FA we bring in.

Agreed absolutely. I expect a $3 million contract and I am good with that. If we overpaid then I will pick up my pitchfork and be grumpy as well. He is a piece behind Zeus. I expect Abdullah to get more work this year as well. I think it allows us the flexibility to take or not take a RB depending on what the draft gives or takes. He isn't a replacement for Josh, he is a depth/committee piece. It isn't anything to be excited about but I certainly don't see why I am seeing the sad/mad faces as well. You can't have a Wilkins addition for every FA we bring in.
The only way Mattison matters is if White misses time. Even then it probably means Abdullah gets even more work and Mattison does not become a bell cow.

Daniel Jeremiah has the Raiders taking Penix at #13 in his newest mock. Why do we care? Because Jeremiah is probably the most connected mock drafter out there. Last year he called the Houston/Arizona trade in his final mock. He knows his stuff. Especially pay attention to that last mock that he puts out the night before the draft.
Him linking Penix to the Raiders has substance and worth noting. Hopefully not at #13, maybe they trade back. But drafting Penix could be a real thing if this guy is putting it out there.
It would be the first ever trade back for our GM. New team, new approach? Trading back always takes a partner, something people tend to overlook, and if you are at #13 you have to decide.... how much do we like Penix.... how much do we like Minchew/O'Connell? And perhaps.... how much do we like Penix over the QB's in the next tier that may be available in the 2nd?

The only way Mattison matters is if White misses time. Even then it probably means Abdullah gets even more work and Mattison does not become a bell cow.
Even with a healthy Zeus, I don't see them working him like they Jacobs was worked in the past. I think Abdullah gets a significant increase in game time and Mattison will be in the mix. Perhaps another RB that we draft or bring in or perhaps Brown actually shows signs of life.

I’d 100% be ok with this. At least Penix has some Franchise QB upside, whereas Minshew and O’Connell don’t imho.

One thing about the Jeremiah mocks.

His final one, which is the one that he attempts to get right, is Draft Eve.

I've been thinking about Penix as a pick, and if the big 4 go before us, I would PREFER a trade down and grab him, or take him in the 2nd. But no guarantee anyone wants to trade

But reaching for him in the 1st, no one cares if he's the goods.

The Raiders at 13 are in that fringe part of the draft where its any mock drafters best guess. Once you make it past the top 10 (I'd probably go as far as top 5 - 8), the possible variations make it nearly impossible to get any selection correct. Who is left, how the teams have moved around the draft and changed the draft order, how the teams see the remaining players outside the top 10 start to really separate... Everything gets really fuzzy quickly. It's like the NFL version of beer goggles.

The penix talk makes RT very important. .
Yes it does! Ideal Penix scenario would be to draft a RT at #13 then get Penix in the 2nd round. But I doubt that will be feasible. They would probably have to trade back into the 1st round to get him IMO.
As it stands right now, it would be Munford protecting a lefty’s blindside.

Yes it does! Ideal Penix scenario would be to draft a RT at #13 then get Penix in the 2nd round. But I doubt that will be feasible. They would probably have to trade back into the 1st round to get him IMO.
And honestly, if you believe in him, you actually want to trade back into the 1st for him for that 5th year option.

There are quality free agents available at guard. Mark Glowinski is a capable veteran starter who was recently released by the New York Giants, and Dalton Risner is a young player who had a solid season for the Minnesota Vikings.

The Raidera also could find Van Roten’s potential replacement in the 2024 NFL Draft, like Christian Haynes of Connecticut or Christian Mahogany of Boston College. Mason McCormick of South Dakota State is another talented guard in the draft class, as is Cooper Beebe of Kansas State.

The Raiders will have to replace Eluemunor, who signed with the Giants and reunited with former Raiders offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo. Eluemunor made 34 starts in three seasons with the Silver and Black.

A potential replacement for Eluemunor is former New York Jets first-round selection Mekhi Becton, who has talent but has dealt with various injuries throughout his career.

The Raiders also could look at the draft for a right tackle, like Taliese Fuaga of Oregon State or JC Latham of Alabama.

If they want to wait to address right tackle in the draft, they could pick up Kiran Amegadjie of Yale or Blake Fisher of Notre Dame.

The Raiders also could also go in-house to replace Eluemunor with Thayer Munford Jr., who played 263 snaps at right tackle for them in 2023, according to Pro Football Focus.

There are quality free agents available at guard. Mark Glowinski is a capable veteran starter who was recently released by the New York Giants, and Dalton Risner is a young player who had a solid season for the Minnesota Vikings.

The Raidera also could find Van Roten’s potential replacement in the 2024 NFL Draft, like Christian Haynes of Connecticut or Christian Mahogany of Boston College. Mason McCormick of South Dakota State is another talented guard in the draft class, as is Cooper Beebe of Kansas State.

The Raiders will have to replace Eluemunor, who signed with the Giants and reunited with former Raiders offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo. Eluemunor made 34 starts in three seasons with the Silver and Black.

A potential replacement for Eluemunor is former New York Jets first-round selection Mekhi Becton, who has talent but has dealt with various injuries throughout his career.

The Raiders also could look at the draft for a right tackle, like Taliese Fuaga of Oregon State or JC Latham of Alabama.

If they want to wait to address right tackle in the draft, they could pick up Kiran Amegadjie of Yale or Blake Fisher of Notre Dame.

The Raiders also could also go in-house to replace Eluemunor with Thayer Munford Jr., who played 263 snaps at right tackle for them in 2023, according to Pro Football Focus.
From what I have gathered, the impression is that the staff believes Munford can take over at RT. I am not expecting a big signing at Tackle though they certainly could add some depth.

That isn't to say that they couldn't draft one of the tackles in this draft. It is seen as a very good class of tackles and they easily could go that route. Take over at RT and be the heir apparent to Miller.

Risner was one of the guys I was hoping the Raiders would draft 4 years ago. Not just for his on field potential, but the work he does in the community as well. That guy has his head on straight.

I wonder if it would be possible to take the best OL at 1.13 and then trade up to take penix in the mid 20’s. Gonna go check the draft order and see who needs/wants what in the 20’s

If they’re willing to pay, I think trading up into the 20’s would land penix. This is with no trades. If Jeremiah is right, it could get crazy. AZ is the wildcard. And I HATE that the donkeys are picking right before the raiders.

I wonder if it would be possible to take the best OL at 1.13 and then trade up to take penix in the mid 20’s. Gonna go check the draft order and see who needs/wants what in the 20’s

If Penix is the target, I'd like to see this be the approach.

Also worth noting along these lines, after the big-four QBs are allocated to teams in Rd 1 - let's say CHI, WAS, NEP and MIN are all off the board for taking a QB in Rd 2 - there isn't anyone left ahead of the Raiders in that round that would take a Penix or Nix (see below)...

33) Carolina Panthers
34) New England Patriots
35) Arizona Cardinals
36) Washington Commanders
37) Los Angeles Chargers
38) Tennessee Titans
39) Carolina Panthers (from N.Y. Giants)
40) Washington Commanders (from Chicago)
41) Green Bay Packers (from N.Y. Jets)
42) Houston Texans (from Minnesota)
43) Atlanta Falcons
44) Las Vegas Raiders
45) New Orleans Saints (from Denver)
46) Indianapolis Colts
47) New York Giants (from Seattle)
48) Jacksonville Jaguars
49) Cincinnati Bengals
50) Philadelphia Eagles (from New Orleans)
51) Pittsburgh Steelers
52) Los Angeles Rams
53) Philadelphia Eagles
54) Cleveland Browns
55) Miami Dolphins
56) Dallas Cowboys
57) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
58) Green Bay Packers
59) Houston Texans
60) Buffalo Bills
61) Detroit Lions
62) Baltimore Ravens
63) San Francisco 49ers
64) Kansas City Chiefs

And as I look at the back half of round 1, there aren't many teams there either that look like potential QB drafters... Same teams really as the bolded above - NO, LAR, DAL. And of those three, only LAR has a roster well-rounded enough right now to skip the opportunity cost of a 1st-round non-QB player to take a Penix or Nix with an eye toward the future. Maybe the Broncos trade into early Rd 2 by giving up their 2025 1st - that would be a very Sean Payton move. Otherwise, there are feasible scenarios where one or both of Penix and Nix fall to the Raiders in Rd 2.

Also worth noting along these lines, after the big-four QBs are allocated to teams in Rd 1 - let's say CHI, WAS, NEP and MIN are all off the board for taking a QB in Rd 2 - there isn't anyone left ahead of the Raiders in that round that would take a Penix or Nix (see below)...

33) Carolina Panthers
34) New England Patriots
35) Arizona Cardinals
37) Los Angeles Chargers
38) Tennessee Titans
43) Atlanta Falcons
44) Las Vegas Raiders
46) Indianapolis Colts
48) Jacksonville Jaguars
49) Cincinnati Bengals
51) Pittsburgh Steelers
52) Los Angeles Rams
53) Philadelphia Eagles
54) Cleveland Browns
55) Miami Dolphins
56) Dallas Cowboys
57) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
58) Green Bay Packers
59) Houston Texans
60) Buffalo Bills
61) Detroit Lions
62) Baltimore Ravens
63) San Francisco 49ers
64) Kansas City Chiefs

And as I look at the back half of round 1, there aren't many teams there either that look like potential QB drafters... Same teams really as the bolded above - NO, LAR, DAL. And of those three, only LAR has a roster well-rounded enough right now to skip the opportunity cost of a 1st-round non-QB player to take a Penix or Nix with an eye toward the future. Maybe the Broncos trade into early Rd 2 by giving up their 2025 1st - that would be a very Sean Payton move. Otherwise, there are feasible scenarios where one or both of Penix and Nix fall to the Raiders in Rd 2.
It’s possible. But AZ is the wildcard. They may take a qb. And the donkeys may take one at 1.12

ETA. Maybe Carolina would be interested in recouping some picks after last years debacle. Next years 2nd?

33) Carolina Panthers
34) New England Patriots
35) Arizona Cardinals
37) Los Angeles Chargers
38) Tennessee Titans
43) Atlanta Falcons
44) Las Vegas Raiders
46) Indianapolis Colts
48) Jacksonville Jaguars
49) Cincinnati Bengals
51) Pittsburgh Steelers
52) Los Angeles Rams
53) Philadelphia Eagles
54) Cleveland Browns
55) Miami Dolphins
56) Dallas Cowboys
57) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
58) Green Bay Packers
59) Houston Texans
60) Buffalo Bills
61) Detroit Lions
62) Baltimore Ravens
63) San Francisco 49ers
64) Kansas City Chiefs

Correct my if I'm wrong, but the added value to trading up into the end of the 1st is to gain the opportunity for the 5th year option, and benefit from the rookie contract pricing for an extra year.

If they’re willing to pay, I think trading up into the 20’s would land penix. This is with no trades. If Jeremiah is right, it could get crazy. AZ is the wildcard. And I HATE that the donkeys are picking right before the raiders.
Yay for meaningless wins in December and January!

Users who are viewing this thread