What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (17 Viewers)

Feels like we need an OL discussion to bring us all together prior to the Draft, seems to be on most folks minds and for good reason.
-First of all, Miami did sign a free agent for the IOL, Aaron Brewer and his run blocking highlights are eye-opening, his weakness is more pass protection...that might be a problem.
6 sacks allowed and 34 QB pressures from his spot on the OL, last year it was Center. Year before he allowed 31 QB pressures and 4 sacks. He's no Connor Williams
Brewer started 15 games at LG in '22 and 17 at Center in '23, 5 at RG in '21, he was an UDFA in 2020 and just stuck to the practice squad until his number was called.

-Miami also has Robert Jones, signed a 1 yr deal to return for less than $2M, Lester Cotton is still on this team and only is costing about $1M and then you have Liam Eichenberg and he currently is costing $4M+ and would cost less than $1M to part ways with, he's fighting to make the team right now I would say, 42nd overall pick in '21.
Cotton and Jones are both UDFA, if either one of them could actually start at RG/LG, would be a huge lift for Miami and also allow them more freedom in the Draft

-I'm still not done discussing the IOL of this football team, we have a couple more names believe it or not. Isaiah Wynn was resigned a little while back very quietly. Wynn was the 18th overall pick in 2018, he's only 27 yrs old right now and was starting at LG, doing a solid job early last season and then he went down with an injury and was lost for the season IIRC...he's IN the MIX! And if that doesn't interest you, let me welcome Jack Driscoll, former 4th round pick by the Eagles and played all 4 of his rookie contract years in Philly, mostly a back up. But Miami did give him a signing bonus of $400k, close to $1M guaranteed, Driscoll might only be a back up but he also might be the reason we part ways with Liam before the season even starts.

So I just went over about 5 names to fill up those 3 spots along the IOL, I have faith that at least 1-2 of them can be played at a pretty high level for what we need on Offense.

-As for the 2 Tackle spots, they're spoken for with Armstead and AJax, if those 2 are standing upright, then you won't see Kendall Lamm ($2.5M) play much on his final year in the NFL.
Miami could surely use a better long term solution than Lamm but he filled in admirably last year and Miami's next Tackle will likely push Armstead to retirement or looking for a new team.

What does all this mean for the Draft? If they want to get some instant production, it would be wise to look long and hard at JPJ or Zach Frasier at Center although I imagine they could both start at either Guard position, and then Graham Barton from Duke - projects more as an inside force vs playing RT/LT
I also think it means they're not as desperate on the OL as some would think they are vs that Front 6-7 on Defense, I hear Weaver is not sleeping so well right now.

JPJ-Braswell, JPJ-Wilson(Dream), Frasier-Jenkins-3rd pick,
Dejean-Jenkins/Fiske, Dejean-Frasier, DeJean-Amegadjie
Newton-Amegadjie, Newton-Wilson, these are the kind of combos I am expecting at 21-55, something close to these

And keep an eye on Zak Zinter, starting RG for Michigan for like 4 years, he's pretty good IMHO. 4th-5th round type pick and can be used to plug things inside.
I do not see Miami going OL with both 21 and 55, that would be a terrible plan IMHO

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

I think Butch Barry has definitely coached up some of these OL guys that previously looked like busts.
I went over just about everybody we have competing on OL, Butch arrived in 2023
-Armstead was already pretty good, Connor Williams was great in '22 before he arrived, Austin Jackson finally started and finished a season at 1 spot-RT.
Isaiah Wynn was a 1st round pick by the Patriots in 2018, Robert Hunt was already a Pro Bowl level RG before Barry got here.
I'm not saying he hasn't been a strong force as OL coach, just not sure I give him as much credit as you all, to the point I would forgive Grier for reaching at 55.

I do appreciate you pointing him out and maybe he can do great work again in '24, Miami is going to need it.

Grier took Edge & LT - the two high profile, high expense positions where we had an obvious long term need.
This is always the defense of these project picks though. I think Armando has been using this spin from the front office for well over a decade.

Fans have a right to be skeptical because they have whiffed so often on these. I don’t think Grier is good at evaluating these positions.

Grier took Edge & LT - the two high profile, high expense positions where we had an obvious long term need.
This is always the defense of these project picks though. I think Armando has been using this spin from the front office for well over a decade.

Fans have a right to be skeptical because they have whiffed so often on these. I don’t think Grier is good at evaluating these positions.

Understood - but after Armstead/Lamm - who have both hinted at retirement after next year who do the Dolphins have at LT?

Feels like we need an OL discussion to bring us all together prior to the Draft, seems to be on most folks minds and for good reason.
-First of all, Miami did sign a free agent for the IOL, Aaron Brewer and his run blocking highlights are eye-opening, his weakness is more pass protection...that might be a problem.
6 sacks allowed and 34 QB pressures from his spot on the OL, last year it was Center. Year before he allowed 31 QB pressures and 4 sacks. He's no Connor Williams
Brewer started 15 games at LG in '22 and 17 at Center in '23, 5 at RG in '21, he was an UDFA in 2020 and just stuck to the practice squad until his number was called.

-Miami also has Robert Jones, signed a 1 yr deal to return for less than $2M, Lester Cotton is still on this team and only is costing about $1M and then you have Liam Eichenberg and he currently is costing $4M+ and would cost less than $1M to part ways with, he's fighting to make the team right now I would say, 42nd overall pick in '21.
Cotton and Jones are both UDFA, if either one of them could actually start at RG/LG, would be a huge lift for Miami and also allow them more freedom in the Draft

-I'm still not done discussing the IOL of this football team, we have a couple more names believe it or not. Isaiah Wynn was resigned a little while back very quietly. Wynn was the 18th overall pick in 2018, he's only 27 yrs old right now and was starting at LG, doing a solid job early last season and then he went down with an injury and was lost for the season IIRC...he's IN the MIX! And if that doesn't interest you, let me welcome Jack Driscoll, former 4th round pick by the Eagles and played all 4 of his rookie contract years in Philly, mostly a back up. But Miami did give him a signing bonus of $400k, close to $1M guaranteed, Driscoll might only be a back up but he also might be the reason we part ways with Liam before the season even starts.

So I just went over about 5 names to fill up those 3 spots along the IOL, I have faith that at least 1-2 of them can be played at a pretty high level for what we need on Offense.

-As for the 2 Tackle spots, they're spoken for with Armstead and AJax, if those 2 are standing upright, then you won't see Kendall Lamm ($2.5M) play much on his final year in the NFL.
Miami could surely use a better long term solution than Lamm but he filled in admirably last year and Miami's next Tackle will likely push Armstead to retirement or looking for a new team.

What does all this mean for the Draft? If they want to get some instant production, it would be wise to look long and hard at JPJ or Zach Frasier at Center although I imagine they could both start at either Guard position, and then Graham Barton from Duke - projects more as an inside force vs playing RT/LT
I also think it means they're not as desperate on the OL as some would think they are vs that Front 6-7 on Defense, I hear Weaver is not sleeping so well right now.

Newton-Amegadjie, Newton-Wilson, these are the kind of combos I am expecting at 21-55, something close to these

And keep an eye on Zak Zinter, starting RG for Michigan for like 4 years, he's pretty good IMHO. 4th-5th round type pick and can be used to plug things inside.
I do not see Miami going OL with both 21 and 55, that would be a terrible plan IMHO

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

I think Butch Barry has definitely coached up some of these OL guys that previously looked like busts.
-Armstead was already pretty good, Connor Williams was great in '22 before he arrived, Austin Jackson finally started and finished a season at 1 spot-RT.
Isaiah Wynn was a 1st round pick by the Patriots in 2018, Robert Hunt was already a Pro Bowl level RG before Barry got here.
I'm not saying he hasn't been a strong force as OL coach, just not sure I give him as much credit as you all, to the point I would forgive Grier for reaching at 55.

I do appreciate you pointing him out and maybe he can do great work again in '24, Miami is going to need it.
Fair points. I forget the stats and am posting from my phone in Munich, but they also had a ridiculous amount of different lineups too with all of the injuries.

Not saying it is a good pick just think he is a good position group coach so I can see the potential upside. Hard to know whether a player’s bad technique can be fixed from the sofa.

There are real holes in the middle of this defense. TE is still a need.

Understood - but after Armstead/Lamm - who have both hinted at retirement after next year who do the Dolphins have at LT?
Good point too. Armstead himself was a project coming out.

Just concerned with the amount of holes on this team.

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

Fair points. I forget the stats and am posting from my phone in Munich, but they also had a ridiculous amount of different lineups too with all of the injuries.

Not saying it is a good pick just think he is a good position group coach so I can see the potential upside. Hard to know whether a player’s bad technique can be fixed from the sofa.

Munich-Style Lagers, sometimes Marzan can be referred to as well.
I'm jealous you're in Germany, just visiting or do you reside there?

Feedback appreciated
Cheers!

Munich-Style Lagers, sometimes Marzan can be referred to as well.
I'm jealous you're in Germany, just visiting or do you reside there?
We’ve done Berlin-Prague-Munich in this trip. Head back home on Tuesday.

About to head to a Bayern Munich match. Enjoyed reading the takes in here!

I don’t understand taking such projects with these picks. Grier has such an awful track record with it.

Agreed - there’s Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt & Laremy Tunsil - not much after that.

Mike McDaniel to Patrick Paul:

“You’re going to be in a locked up dungeon with Butch for the next couple of months.”
Please tell me that is a real quote 😆
100% real - here is the link . . .

Again, guy with all the tools that needs coaching. McDaniels specialty
Why do you keep beating this drum?
McDaniel helped with the '22 and '23 Drafts, now the '24 Draft...
Name 1 guy Miami/Grier/McD has drafted since he arrived that the team has coached up.
Channing Tindall, Cam Smith...I was pretty high when they drafted Achane but I don't think of that as coaching up, that's talent and speed speed speed.
We have a lot of guys on the back of milk cartons around here.
Ok, look, to be fair other than the year we had 3 picks in the first round I don't do a lot of "draft study" and with NIL I pay less attention to college football than ever before. I do read a lot of sports commentary from guys I like, kind of the way I approach FF.

So...

We had a need at edge and along the offensive line. We addressed those positions, maybe not with "plug and play" guys, but I think Chop has no choice but to be in the lineup in some form or another from day 1, and The Tackle we will need "at least" in a year.

What did Miami draft: Freaks at those positions who need coaching, who seem like the types that want to be coached.

For chop: He is fast but lacks a "second move" but look at the tape. He forced Michigan to change their game plan vs penn state bc he was owning their right tackle. He's going to a room where both Chubb and Phillips have already reached out to him and he wants to be great. I'll take that. He can also move inside on passing downs, so a line of Chubb Seiler Phillips and chop on third and long is nothing to sneeze at.

For the Tackle: Long arms, nible, and all the size in the world. Knock on him is he gets too "upright" in coverage at times and he's a better pass blocker than run blocker. He wanted to be here according to all the reports, and he was slotted as high as 24 to the cowboys or late third depending on the source. He also wants to be coached, and that is what we do here now.

Drafts are what they are. Are their "names I recognize" that I may have preferred? yes. Do I trust Grier and this coaching staff? More than MOP does.

On a completely different note, I am not sure what the AFCE is thinking in general:

The Bills seem to be taking a muligan year. Let a lot of good players go bc of their cap situation, and not really backfillling the roster with guys I trust. Their offense is going to be Whatever magic Allen can concoct and James Cook can conjure along with Kincaid and Shakir with less defense than before. Don't see how they compete with KC with this roster.

Miami had some similar cap casualties but seems to have filled those holes with bodies at least that can compete. The skill positions are still loaded and the O line while being rebuit still has 3/5 starters from last year. Defense is taking a step backwards and a new coordinator. However, if McDaniel continues to mature and evolve as a coach and a playcaller, I think the team is is decent shape. We need a year where the injury bug is more of a mosquito than a swarm of bees.

Both Miami and the Bills seem to be less than a year ago, but KC, Cincy, and Houston are improving in FA and the draft.

The Jets are pinning their hopes to Rodgers. I am considering putting a bet down on the Jets to win the AFCE mainly bc assuming Rodgers plays they are the most improved team in the AFCE this year.

The Pats are rebuilding. 5 wins is my expectation but 7 would not surprise me.

Users who are viewing this thread