What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (7 Viewers)

Shaq Barrett is the 1 year AVG replacement (1 year $9m). Release guy, so he doesn't threaten the 2 comp 3rds.
So washed, Tampa wanted nothing to do with him and they had stacks of cash going into the off season
He's certainly not what he was 2 years ago, but Tampa cutting a $26m cap hit isn't the same as not wanting anything to do with him. He just wasn't worth that contract anymore.
He's still probably at worst a wash with AVG for 2024.

Tyreek last season this year?
Cmon MoD… have an edible and sip a chocolate stout.
It’s still early .. they’ve restructured a bunch of players… got under the cap. Some FA got HUGE bags… AVG was a fan favorite, I’d like to have kept him. If B Jones plays like he did last year he is not gonna be missed.

They’ve done some nice bargain shopping and if they retain the 2 3rd round compensation picks they’ll be ok.
I Ike what I’ve seen from Brewer & Brooks. Jonnu should be be able to open things up and the Barrett Poyer one year deals make sense. I wanted Poyer last year.
Championships are seldom won in mid-March. Still holes to fill though.

We went all in with higher priced vets via FA and trades in the past few years and it was coming time to pay the price (you can argue success or failure of this direction). Honestly, it feels like the front office looked at what was upcoming and had to make a decision. Overspend to keep Wilkins, Hunt, AVG, etc. Or look ahead at the future capital that will be needed in 2025 for Jevon Holland and 2026 for Waddle and Phillips when their rookie contracts are up.

If we are close to winning Super Bowl, go ahead and overpay now and risk losing 8, 17, and 15 in a couple years when the crunch becomes even worse. But they probably recognized that long-term they are better re-tooling in 2024, taking a step back (likely), and putting more money into the stars from 2021 draft in the future.

That said, adding a bunch of comp picks, we really need to start hitting on draft picks outside of the top 15 picks. Which Grier has been horrible on in the last 7 years.

We went all in with higher priced vets via FA and trades in the past few years and it was coming time to pay the price (you can argue success or failure of this direction). Honestly, it feels like the front office looked at what was upcoming and had to make a decision. Overspend to keep Wilkins, Hunt, AVG, etc. Or look ahead at the future capital that will be needed in 2025 for Jevon Holland and 2026 for Waddle and Phillips when their rookie contracts are up.

If we are close to winning Super Bowl, go ahead and overpay now and risk losing 8, 17, and 15 in a couple years when the crunch becomes even worse. But they probably recognized that long-term they are better re-tooling in 2024, taking a step back (likely), and putting more money into the stars from 2021 draft in the future.

That said, adding a bunch of comp picks, we really need to start hitting on draft picks outside of the top 15 picks. Which Grier has been horrible on in the last 7 years.
2019-Wilkins 1st Rd, just signed for $114M
Dieter was a 3rd Rd pick, terrible. Miami didn't have a 2nd or 4th but they also drafted AVG in the 5th, also just signed with MN for about $10M per year.

When you find 2 pretty good starters in the front 7 of your defense and hit on 2 of the 3 picks, this was better than a lot of teams did.

2020-Tua 1st, Austin Jackson 1st(extended by Phins), Noah Igbo-1st(Bust)
2nd Rd-Robert Hunt, Rakwon Davis 2nd, Brandon Jones.in the 3rd, all of those guys just left Free Agency, all will be NFL starters next season, other than Noah, pretty strong Draft.

2021- Waddle 1st/1st, Phillips 1st, Holland 2nd, Liam Eich 2nd, Hunter Long 3rd(traded with picks for Ramsey)
Liam seems like a bust but the rest of this is all solid draft choices. Waddle required 2 1st Rd picks

2022-No 1st or 2nd Rd picks, all sent via trades including Chubb from Denver who is now injured.
Tindall, Ezukanma, haven't heard from either, some of us think Skylar Thompson might be worth something

2023-Cam Smith 2nd, De'Von Achane 3rd,
Again no 1st Rd pick due to Stephen Ross ineptitude as an owner. Never saw Cam Smith and Achane teased mightily

His actual draft picks in the first 2-3 rounds are not terrible
But he also took these players over some other ones like Justin Herbert vs Tua, Burns who the Giants just traded for, guys like that.
Had a chance to draft O'Cyrus Torrence at IOL/OG from Florida, he lands on Buffalo a few picks later as we took Cam Smith, never to be heard from.
Torrence did very well for Buffalo and we will pay the price for this a lot more in coming seasons.

Tyreek last season this year?
Cmon MoD… have an edible and sip a chocolate stout.
It’s still early .. they’ve restructured a bunch of players… got under the cap. Some FA got HUGE bags… AVG was a fan favorite, I’d like to have kept him. If B Jones plays like he did last year he is not gonna be missed.

They’ve done some nice bargain shopping and if they retain the 2 3rd round compensation picks they’ll be ok.
I Ike what I’ve seen from Brewer & Brooks. Jonnu should be be able to open things up and the Barrett Poyer one year deals make sense. I wanted Poyer last year.
Championships are seldom won in mid-March. Still holes to fill though.
Even when we hit on some really good talent to take this team up a notch, we just proved we won't be extending players we draft and develop.
It's hard to be excited about anything they are doing right now. I could care less about contracts in '25 and '26...why are we being held hostage? Cap just skyrocketed $255M
But I understand we spent and we were OTC, that doesn't make the front office/owner innocent of getting the team into this mess.

Go back to when we had to strip the team bare...it was not to just get a few good draft picks and then watch them leave after we rebuilt.
The fans are getting hosed and there is no accountability, everyone shrugging their shoulders and acting like "what are they supposed to do?"
It's a pattern with perennial losers, you start to feel sorry for them after a while.

10-7, 9-8, 9-9, 11-7...I guess they're not losers completely but they didn't win a single Playoff game after the complete rebuild.
The Miami Open will be starting soon at Hard Rock, the F1 shortly after that, The Dolphins are on pause right now as the Miami beat writers are describing.

Waddle-you invested 2 first Rd picks to get him, want to take a stab at his current market value?
Miami could conceivably extend him over the summer along with Tua since they let everyone else walk out the door, quite frankly I wouldn't extend Tua
-I'd see if he takes the field under his 5th year option, I doubt his agent would let him but I'd try and if you must, you franchise tag him in '25, but that's MoP talking.

Waddle has a market value of $27M+ right now, an extension would easily be 4yr/$110M give or take, he's going to want Top 5 money
-I did the same thing with Tua when he looked even worse than now, and it was $30M and you all balked and said no way but yes way and it's gone up from there...$50M?
So if you think you can pick up the 5th year option and play Waddle, not worry about his contract until 2026, I'm pretty sure you're going to hear about it much sooner.
Pretty soon the Mkt Value will be well over $30M, then $35M and so on
Miami doesn't like these 2nd contracts, is it time to explore trade possibilities? I think he's good but not truly great
Still time to develop but perhaps it's time to also get ahead for once. Not be victim to the market in a year or two and throw our hands up in the air and hit pause

MOP - who are you happy about this offseason? To me, only Houston and atlanta are better out the gate in FA, and maybe the Raider D with Wilkins joining them. Baltimore with Henry? That's the list.

X had to go. Greedy MFer who was not delivering the way he used to. Wanted MIami to pay him when he was hurt/sucked, but wouldn't give a discount after he got well. bye!

Wilkins is a player and a team guy. Hate to see him go, but again, no "Seiler is my boy!" discount.

Same thing with the Guard. You have to get a "discount" from someone to make this work and none of them wanted to give something back to the franchise. That's just business.

Now, Tua: You hate that they didn't resign the the guys above, but you want them to punt on Tua. (edit to add: Tua is more important to the w/l column than those three guys put together) The fact that the Tua restructure/extension has not happenned yet when they needed the cap room is telling. Either they are waiting to see how the draft falls and will use the X money for the Tua deal or they are waiting to see what FA comes around that they need his cap room for.

Miami has decided to navigate this FA period to get those two third rounders for Wilkins and Hunt. As such, we are likely not going to be happy until after the draft. The good news is with McD's O and Tua's release time you maiinly need OL that can run block.

As for Waddle: He is a solid player, but not a #1. Having two Ty Hill contracts with only one ball to go around makes no sense to me. None of those Bama guys seem to be a #1. I can't see letting him go since at some point we will reach an experation date on Hill, but again, there are lots of great WRs coming up through the draft who's skill sets are similar and the NFL seems to be poinsed to devalue that position next.

So what do you guys think are the main targets with picks 21 and 55? Would Miami look to trade back from 21 and look to get a few more draft picks in the process and build some value?

Last year a number of teams were looking to move back into the first round but it just didn't happen. This year maybe a team is looking at a specific WR or QB and wants to move up to 21. Could be a good draft to move back - but not sure this regime is able to maximize these opportunities.

They sure don't want to or don't have the $ to pay the stars so one option is to build the draft pick vault and get a few more round 2-3 picks.

I did a review of Grier's picks from 2016-2023 a few pages back, looking only at late 1st to 4th round (ie taking out sure things from the upper half of 1st round and development projects from 5th and beyond). It was something like a 25% success rate. Essentially Howard, Baker, Hunt, Holland, Achane and 20 busts. To me, he should be hitting on more than 25% in that target area.

So what do you guys think are the main targets with picks 21 and 55? Would Miami look to trade back from 21 and look to get a few more draft picks in the process and build some value?

Last year a number of teams were looking to move back into the first round but it just didn't happen. This year maybe a team is looking at a specific WR or QB and wants to move up to 21. Could be a good draft to move back - but not sure this regime is able to maximize these opportunities.

They sure don't want to or don't have the $ to pay the stars so one option is to build the draft pick vault and get a few more round 2-3 picks.
There should be value at 1.21 in oline players. Good chance oline is BPA. I think they stay put, unless there is a big run on oline. That could happen if the expected run on QBs (4) and WR/TE (4) falls short. Most mocks have Alt, Fashanu, and Fuaga going top 15, with the next 4 being Latham, Fatanu, Mims, and JPJ. But the 3 teams drafting before Miami (CIN, LAR, PIT) all have oline needs. So, Grier needs to be ready to draft BPA who may not be oline - maybe a CB, DL, or edge falls.

Trading down in round 1 could net us the 3rd that Ross cost us with Brady tampering. We need cheap bodies.

I interrupt this FA discussion to ask a question I figure only the regulars of this thread can help with:

My youngest, who turns nine on May 1, has become a huge football fan over the past year. I'd love to do some kind of Dolphins-themed party for his birthday, but aside from the obvious (custom Publix sheet cake!) what is actually possible?

Like if I'm dreaming up an ideal scenario, we can do it at Hard Rock, the kids get to run around on the field, and a current/former player shows up. But is any of that remotely realistic? (And for the record, we do OK financially but are nowhere near the "pay a $10K appearance fee" kind of rich. Not to mention that if I ever did pay out that kind of money for a birthday party, I would regret not having it available to pay my attorney when my wife filed for divorce the next day).

My sister in law got me a cameo from Yachtley Crew for my birthday. We went to see them that night at the Whiskey and it was awesome. The cameo was funny (and unexpected) and I got a birthday shout-out at the show.
Maybe get your son a cameo from a player he really likes? I never thought much of them, but it was pretty cool as a gift.
Yeah, we got a Cameo for my dad's 80th birthday. He's a Pistons fan, so we hired Rick Mahorn, I think for around $100. Pricing on that stuff is super weird. It'll be some guy you've barely heard of getting $200 and then some has-beens who used to be a big deal getting like $20.

Hard to say. Lots of good players and Miami is not really in a position to take BPA due to the lack of picks and how FA has gone so far. That being said, lets look at how Miami has approached things in teh past with mike McD and go from there:

Offense:
QB: I think the room is settled this year with the three guys we had last year. Maybe a late round guy or camp arm, but I do not see Miami as buyers unless the plan to ship Tua.
RB: Settled
WR: Settled, unless they trade waddle for draft picks/CB; they may want a project guy late.
TE: Settled.

that leaves O line. I see Miami using their pick on O line, likely a tackle they can move inside to guard on Armsteads' side. He will likely be the "swing" guy on the line for Armsteads' health.

Defense:
D LIne: Need
LB: Maybe
CB: too many guys out there on the waiver wire and Miami has invested in Cam Smith. There is some noise about Miami trading for Surtain after the draft when they get the X cap room and have all those extra picks in 2025
S: I think they are ok there as well.

So, Miami likely going interior line on both sides of the ball with a sprinkling of LB as needed. I see the day three picks being linemen and special teams guys and maybe a QB to battle with Thompson. Will they trade to get more picks? I'm always all for that and the hope is one of the QBs or WRs everyone covets falls to where Miami is.

You would think The fins have enough confidence in McDaniels' system to not get too fancy with Offensive draft picks other than the guy who will take over fro Armstead when he retires. They really need D and the good news is fat guys who clog running lanes are always avaiable day 3.

Hard to say. Lots of good players and Miami is not really in a position to take BPA due to the lack of picks and how FA has gone so far. That being said, lets look at how Miami has approached things in teh past with mike McD and go from there:

Offense:
QB: I think the room is settled this year with the three guys we had last year. Maybe a late round guy or camp arm, but I do not see Miami as buyers unless the plan to ship Tua.
WR: Settled, unless they trade waddle for draft picks/CB; they may want a project guy late.

that leaves O line. I see Miami using their pick on O line, likely a tackle they can move inside to guard on Armsteads' side. He will likely be the "swing" guy on the line for Armsteads' health.

Defense:
CB: too many guys out there on the waiver wire and Miami has invested in Cam Smith. There is some noise about Miami trading for Surtain after the draft when they get the X cap room and have all those extra picks in 2025

So, Miami likely going interior line on both sides of the ball with a sprinkling of LB as needed. I see the day three picks being linemen and special teams guys and maybe a QB to battle with Thompson. Will they trade to get more picks? I'm always all for that and the hope is one of the QBs or WRs everyone covets falls to where Miami is.

You would think The fins have enough confidence in McDaniels' system to not get too fancy with Offensive draft picks other than the guy who will take over fro Armstead when he retires. They really need D and the good news is fat guys who clog running lanes are always avaiable day 3.
Appreciate the post, so maybe Oline depending who is available, or Dline. Can't ever go wrong building the lines IMO.

I did a review of Grier's picks from 2016-2023 a few pages back, looking only at late 1st to 4th round (ie taking out sure things from the upper half of 1st round and development projects from 5th and beyond). It was something like a 25% success rate. Essentially Howard, Baker, Hunt, Holland, Achane and 20 busts. To me, he should be hitting on more than 25% in that target area.
From your very good post: "For this exercise, I removed picks 1-20 where you are drafting stud players that should be immediate stars. Grier has done very well here since 2016 with players like Tunsil, Minkah, Wilkins, Tua, Jackson (after a couple years), Waddle and Phllips."

Kinda argues that Dolphins should move up. Grier isn't missing in the top 20 picks, but missing a lot after that.

Offense:

Defense:

Extend Waddle and Tua. Draft the best lineman on either side available with their first pick. Still need to add a CB and pass rusher in the second parts of free agency. Hope Grier can actually find a later round LB/WR/TE that can contribute, but history says he can't.

MOP - who are you happy about this offseason? To me, only Houston and atlanta are better out the gate in FA, and maybe the Raider D with Wilkins joining them. Baltimore with Henry? That's the list.

X had to go. Greedy MFer who was not delivering the way he used to. Wanted MIami to pay him when he was hurt/sucked, but wouldn't give a discount after he got well. bye!

Wilkins is a player and a team guy. Hate to see him go, but again, no "Seiler is my boy!" discount.

Same thing with the Guard. You have to get a "discount" from someone to make this work and none of them wanted to give something back to the franchise. That's just business.

Now, Tua: You hate that they didn't resign the the guys above, but you want them to punt on Tua. (edit to add: Tua is more important to the w/l column than those three guys put together) The fact that the Tua restructure/extension has not happenned yet when they needed the cap room is telling. Either they are waiting to see how the draft falls and will use the X money for the Tua deal or they are waiting to see what FA comes around that they need his cap room for.

Miami has decided to navigate this FA period to get those two third rounders for Wilkins and Hunt. As such, we are likely not going to be happy until after the draft. The good news is with McD's O and Tua's release time you maiinly need OL that can run block.

As for Waddle: He is a solid player, but not a #1. Having two Ty Hill contracts with only one ball to go around makes no sense to me. None of those Bama guys seem to be a #1. I can't see letting him go since at some point we will reach an experation date on Hill, but again, there are lots of great WRs coming up through the draft who's skill sets are similar and the NFL seems to be poinsed to devalue that position next.
You and I are on different wavelengths when it comes to Tua, Mike McDaniel as well.

-Facts are Facts, 12 TD passes last 10 starts, was absolutely not a difference maker and you want to back the truck up for him
We're not going to see eye to eye on Tua, if he's not worth anything in Draft picks which I've asked about then he isn't worth $50M per year either
You like him, actually I'd say you are bonafide fan and I simply am not
🤷‍♂️

And BTW-from my understanding, the comp picks are 2025, maybe I'm mistaken
How can anyone feel good about WIlkins leaving, Hunt leaving and picking 100th/101st in the '25 Draft?
They are essentially 4th rd picks, they're after everyone else picks in the 3rd Rd, that's a 4th in my book.

Last edited:
I interrupt this FA discussion to ask a question I figure only the regulars of this thread can help with:

My youngest, who turns nine on May 1, has become a huge football fan over the past year. I'd love to do some kind of Dolphins-themed party for his birthday, but aside from the obvious (custom Publix sheet cake!) what is actually possible?

Like if I'm dreaming up an ideal scenario, we can do it at Hard Rock, the kids get to run around on the field, and a current/former player shows up. But is any of that remotely realistic? (And for the record, we do OK financially but are nowhere near the "pay a $10K appearance fee" kind of rich. Not to mention that if I ever did pay out that kind of money for a birthday party, I would regret not having it available to pay my attorney when my wife filed for divorce the next day).
Should at least do an inquiry here: https://www.hardrockstadium.com/host-your-event/#

I would guess prices are pretty high
Never even got to that point. Filled out a contact form and they got back to me within a couple hours. Around the time of his birthday, they'll be prepping for F1 and are not renting out space for events

You and I are on different wavelengths when it comes to Tua, Mike McDaniel as well.

-Facts are Facts, 12 TD passes last 10 starts, was absolutely not a difference maker and you want to back the truck up for him
We're not going to see eye to eye on Tua, if he's not worth anything in Draft picks which I've asked about then he isn't worth $50M per year either
🤷‍♂️

How can anyone feel good about WIlkins leaving, Hunt leaving and picking 100th/101st in the '25 Draft?
They are essentially 4th rd picks, they're after everyone else picks in the 3rd Rd, that's a 4th in my book.
Mcdaniel for sure. Tua, maybe not.

If you cannot recognize what McDaniel is, then I don't know what to tell you. He is a coach who will be in the league as a HC until he retires or he relapses in his drug use. Players love him, his scheme is good, and he is as smart as they come. Does he still need to "grow" into the role a little more (and maybe understand defense a little better as a HC), sure, but The Miami O is as dynamic as it was when 13 was behind the center.

As to Tua: hey, he's definitely a system QB, but his skillset matches this system to a T. Is he an improvisor when things break down? Not on the same level as most of the guys you love, but what are the alternatives here? Miami is cash strapped so Tua's new contract creates cap space. The kid is doing all the right things to better himself and unlike Tannyhill (who was never used properly for his skill set in Miami) Tua is being used to the best of his abilities in this system. Miami needs an effective ground game for things to work, but Tua has won games with his Arm (the ravens game two years ago fro example). This isn't madden where you can get the Texans to trade for Tua.

Yes, the picks are in 2025, and yes, I feel good about wilkins leaving at the number he is getting paid by the Raiders. Same for Hunt.

🤷‍♂️

Tua is our guy that we have to run with, at least for now. I still like Tua but here is my question to you or anyone who doesn't believe in Tua.

What would the plan be to replace him? Who would/could we get? Tua gives the fins a chance to compete right now. There are very very few options available to the fins right now to get a better QB. Where are they getting this improved QB play?

It is the same issue Pitts has. they are too good to get a top 5 draft pick to land a top prospect and don't have cash to land a top FA QB. Moreover there isn't a top FA QB right now.

🤷‍♂️

If you cannot recognize what McDaniel is, then I don't know what to tell you. He is a coach who will be in the league as a HC until he retires or he relapses in his drug use. Players love him, his scheme is good, and he is as smart as they come. Does he still need to "grow" into the role a little more (and maybe understand defense a little better as a HC), sure, but The Miami O is as dynamic as it was when 13 was behind the center.

As to Tua: hey, he's definitely a system QB, but his skillset matches this system to a T. Is he an improvisor when things break down? Not on the same level as most of the guys you love, but what are the alternatives here? Miami is cash strapped so Tua's new contract creates cap space. The kid is doing all the right things to better himself and unlike Tannyhill (who was never used properly for his skill set in Miami) Tua is being used to the best of his abilities in this system. Miami needs an effective ground game for things to work, but Tua has won games with his Arm (the ravens game two years ago fro example). This isn't madden where you can get the Texans to trade for Tua.

Yes, the picks are in 2025, and yes, I feel good about wilkins leaving at the number he is getting paid by the Raiders. Same for Hunt.
I'm with you on Mcdaniel as he changed the culture. that right there is tough to do and it is a win. The team was a hot mess from some terrible coaches (one that was hired to lose... don't get me started).

Mcdaniel will continue to improve things and we either get to a SB or he will move on. But the team is playing better and more exciting football and the players are playing hard for him. It is a huge step forward for a franchise that was *** for a long time (no playoff games....).

🤷‍♂️

I have resigned myself to Tua is our guy for the foreseeable future and I do really like Mike as a HC.

But man......I want (like 25 other teams in the league) a force at QB.

🤷‍♂️

Tua is our guy that we have to run with, at least for now. I still like Tua but here is my question to you or anyone who doesn't believe in Tua.

What would the plan be to replace him? Who would/could we get? Tua gives the fins a chance to compete right now. There are very very few options available to the fins right now to get a better QB. Where are they getting this improved QB play?

It is the same issue Pitts has. they are too good to get a top 5 draft pick to land a top prospect and don't have cash to land a top FA QB. Moreover there isn't a top FA QB right now.

🤷‍♂️

I have resigned myself to Tua is our guy for the foreseeable future and I do really like Mike as a HC.

Stockholm Syndrome

"Tua is our guy, we have to run with"
-Say what?

"I have resigned myself to Tua is our guy"
-Say what now?

Stockholm Syndrome, only way to explain it.

-Give me Wilkins and Hunt, $46M still less than what they are about to pay Tua, I'd have enough leftover for AVG, and we're wasting $9M on Shaq Barrett, $10M on a LB
I could have found enough money to pay either Wilkins or Hunt, we let arguably the best draft picks Miami has made in the last 5 seasons just evaporate
You build the team, eventually the QB appears. Look at the Niners.

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

Stockholm Syndrome

-Say what?

-Say what now?

-Give me Wilkins and Hunt, $46M still less than what they are about to pay Tua, I'd have enough leftover for AVG, and we're wasting $9M on Shaq Barrett, $10M on a LB
I could have found enough money to pay either Wilkins or Hunt, we let arguably the best draft picks Miami has made in the last 5 seasons just evaporate
I have resigned myself to it because that will be the reality of the situation.

Do I like it? Nope.

But it's gonna be what we are stuck with.

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

But man......I want (like 25 other teams in the league) a force at

Reality is how you explain it. Again, Miami has not resigned Tua just yet, so you may get your wish here. QBs do not “appear”.

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

Reality is how you explain it. Again, Miami has not resigned Tua just yet, so you may get your wish here. QBs do not “appear”.
No they don't. It's a true lottery. I want the Dolphins to keep playing that lottery till we hit all 6 numbers including the power ball because quite frankly we are not going to the promised land with Tua. It's not gonna happen.

So again it is what it is.....and the moment they potentially extend Tua he will get injured and be out for a while.

It's the Dolphins way.....I have been a fan since 1975.

We have had very little to cheer about since #13 and Don Shula went to pasture.

Reality.

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

Stockholm Syndrome

-Say what?

-Say what now?

Building a team can take a number of different routes but most of the time you need to find a good QB. I see what you are saying but QBs don't just appear. Even the Niners screwed up with the Lance draft pick. So many teams struggle to find a QB and I would say Tua is on the better side of QBs. Not saying the Fins shouldn't be looking to improve (all areas) but the QB situation could be A LOT worse than Tua if he leaves. Look at the QBs the Fins have had that have been terrible... Dislike Tua all you want but he's better than most of what we have had recently.

Side note: I'm still kinda intrigued with Skylar....

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

With the 27th pick in the 1983 NFL Draft, and fresh off a Super Bowl appearance I might add...
The Miami Dolphins select Dan Marino to line up behind Dwight Stephenson, Bob Keuchenberg, John Giesler. Ed Newman,
And throw it to Mark Duper, Joe Rose, Mark Clayton('83 Draft), Nat Moore, and have Tony Nathan in the back field...you bet you build it and the QB appears
Marino was like the 5th or 6th QB off the board that year.
-Miami was frustrated that they had loads of talent and David Woodley just was not going to make it as an NFL QB...and of course Marino was special
But it should be noted he joined a loaded team fresh off the Super Bowl, Shula and the team were far from below average.

'83-'84-'85...magic first 3 years in the NFL and had a lot of talent and a Killer Bs Defense...then we go into the Dark Ages of '86-'87-'88-'89...Miami could not stop anyone on Defense.
I appreciate you understanding Tua in some of the ways those of us that are skeptical see him.
I am shocked that Tua has not been extended however all signs point to him being given a truckload in the not too distant future
I would have preferred we kept most of the good players that walked out the door...Picks 100 and 101 in 2025 does nothing right now

And Mike McD is on his 3rd DC in less than 26 months...no Playoffs wins, not sure what you see in him, all 53 on all 32 tams can like him al they want, no Playoff wins yet.

21-55...158 is their next pick and they have a lot of holes now in the F7, starting CB with "X" gone
They lose Wilkins and Raekwon Davis, Sieler is 6-6/300, guess he is the interior of the DL now, 22 QB Hits, 10 sacks and 11 TFL, but that was with Wilkins gobbling up double teams.
Ogbah was released, Baker released and replaced with Jordyn Brooks, former 27th pick overall in 2020, Shaq Barrett will not replace ant of the Edge guys, AVG, Phillips or Chubb
I bring that up because Phillips and Chubb sustained major injuries and it's possible they are never the same.

Edge/Front 7 might need to be a priority, this is not a great Edge Draft, not a one in the Top 10, that's almost unheard of.
Interior DL has some prospects, likely one of the reasons the front office felt no urgency with Wilkins but they're prospects, not proven talent.
There's no Top 5 DB/Corner, that's not common either. Miami didn't exactly pick the right time to start a rebuild on Defense

"MoP Sunshine Report" :lol:

They would be lucky if someone that has one of the top 2nd Rd picks calls them up to move to 21 and they fall back.
Miami has a lot of OL holes and not many draft picks to work with.
Liam Eichenberg, Cam Smith were both taken around 50th overall, Miami traded up for Eich which is truly sad since he sucks.
So #55 overall is likely a black hole for them, they don't draft well as others have noted.
Grier should ave been sent packing

21-55...158 is their next pick and they have a lot of holes now in the F7, starting CB with "X" gone
Kyle Kendall Fuller just signed as the X replacement, so that's a solid interim plan if Smith doesn't work out. It's usually bad business counting on a rookie CB to contribute IMO.
Right now I think the defense needs are DT, DT and another Edge (I would prefer drafting one over another cheap late career vet because what are the odds both Chubb and Phillips both fully recover?)

Edited because I had the wrong Fuller brother

-David Hyde not my favorite beat writer, none of them are really but he has been covering them for a long time and would never risk not being welcome in the building
What I'm telling you is he and Chris Perkins typically kiss their teal n orange butts over at Hard Rock

"Miami's Miserable Monday Consequence of a Short Sighted Blueprint"
-Stephen Ross
-Chris Grier
-Mike McDaniel

I don't write the headlines, I blame all 3 of those people I listed, just calling a spade a spade, right?

Kyle Fuller just signed as the X replacement, so that's a solid interim plan if Smith doesn't work out. It's usually bad business counting on a rookie CB to contribute IMO.
Right now I think the defense needs are DT, DT and another Edge (I would prefer drafting one over another cheap late career vet because what are the odds both Chubb and Phillips both fully recover?)
Hey bud, I see your posts, not ignoring you but I try to not talk OVER people and sometimes I gotta let something hit me for a day or two before i give a shout back.
I'm not optimistic about Phillips and Chubb Week 1...Week 8 might even be a stretch
Ramsey missed over half a season last year
Tying up money and resources and they all get injured, very disheartening as a Miami fan.

Kyle Fuller just signed as the X replacement, so that's a solid interim plan if Smith doesn't work out. It's usually bad business counting on a rookie CB to contribute IMO.
Hey bud, I see your posts, not ignoring you but I try to not talk OVER people and sometimes I gotta let something hit me for a day or two before i give a shout back.
I'm not optimistic about Phillips and Chubb Week 1...Week 8 might even be a stretch
Ramsey missed over half a season last year
Tying up money and resources and they all get injured, very disheartening as a Miami fan.
No worries. I am in a lot some weeks and then off the board for weeks in between so I don't keep much consistent conversation. I just drop in when I see something I want to comment on.

It majorly sucks what happened with Chubb and Phillips. Having 2 very good young edges was the source of a lot of optimism. My main concern is long term with those 2. Just being realistic, with bigger guys like this, some make it all the way back and some don't. It's pretty much a coin flip for each guy whether they make it back to form or go the route of Chase Young after a major injury (basically went from an untouchable asset to a journeyman pass rusher in one blow).

Wasn’t happy to see Elliot leave until Kendall Fuller was brought on board.

Miami's Secondary:

Jalen Ramsey
Kendall Fuller
Cam Smith
Kaden Kohou
Nik Needham
Jevon Hollland
Jordan Poyer

Dolphins' draft plan for 21 should be best available OL or DL

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

With the 27th pick in the 1983 NFL Draft, and fresh off a Super Bowl appearance I might add...
The Miami Dolphins select Dan Marino to line up behind Dwight Stephenson, Bob Keuchenberg, John Giesler. Ed Newman,
And throw it to Mark Duper, Joe Rose, Mark Clayton('83 Draft), Nat Moore, and have Tony Nathan in the back field...you bet you build it and the QB appears
Marino was like the 5th or 6th QB off the board that year.
-Miami was frustrated that they had loads of talent and David Woodley just was not going to make it as an NFL QB...and of course Marino was special
But it should be noted he joined a loaded team fresh off the Super Bowl, Shula and the team were far from below average.

'83-'84-'85...magic first 3 years in the NFL and had a lot of talent and a Killer Bs Defense...then we go into the Dark Ages of '86-'87-'88-'89...Miami could not stop anyone on Defense.
I appreciate you understanding Tua in some of the ways those of us that are skeptical see him.
I am shocked that Tua has not been extended however all signs point to him being given a truckload in the not too distant future
I would have preferred we kept most of the good players that walked out the door...Picks 100 and 101 in 2025 does nothing right now

And Mike McD is on his 3rd DC in less than 26 months...no Playoffs wins, not sure what you see in him, all 53 on all 32 tams can like him al they want, no Playoff wins yet.
I'm very familiar with Dan Marino - I have his jersey and his rookie card. Him going against Montana in the SB is why I'm a fins fan. Marino was amazing. So the fins have hit once going back 40 years...

They just have to draft the next Marino. Again I know what you are saying but it would be a lot worse without Tua right now. Unless you want Justin Fields.

Either the fins draft a QB in the first round and hope he's a star or we just deal with what Tua gives us.

-David Hyde not my favorite beat writer, none of them are really but he has been covering them for a long time and would never risk not being welcome in the building
What I'm telling you is he and Chris Perkins typically kiss their teal n orange butts over at Hard Rock

"Miami's Miserable Monday Consequence of a Short Sighted Blueprint"
-Stephen Ross
-Chris Grier
-Mike McDaniel

I don't write the headlines, I blame all 3 of those people I listed, just calling a spade a spade, right?
I hate Ross with a passion. Has cost us soooo many draft picks. He is the absolute worst for meddling.

McDaniel I say is still a good coach. Again he's been the best coach we have had in forever. What a pathetic, sad list of coaches, "Flores, Gase, Philbin, Cameron". Ugh it hurts.

Ok, so when the dust begins to settle here, It seems like Miami is retooling with some guys that will not break the bank but seem to be decent replacements for what we have lost.

DL and OL seem to be what Miami will draft and/or trade for once the draft is over.

Back to the QB discussion: Miami is still in discussions with Tua's camp for the extension, and considering the way Greer has worked in the past with these situations, I think a deal will be the type Miami has used in the recent past with some players: It will look huge on paper, but have some decent "outs" if Tua takes a step backward ala the X Howard contract. If Tua excels then he will be one of the "restructure guys" to make Miami cap compliant. In any case, I don't think Miami goes QB shopping this year. More likely 2025 or 26 (figure no matter what this QB room will have one of the two backups off the roster to bring in a draft guy in 2025)

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

QB: Waiting on Tua's extension. Backups seem in place
RB: Ahmed resigned. RB room unchanged as of now.
WR: Top 3 guys still here. Other 4 pending.
TE: Upgrade with J Smith and Fortson. 1-2 spots still up for grabs
Oline: Some guys brought in, but more guys still needed.

Defense:

LBs: retooled. Maybe still need one more in the draft
DBs: well, what a difference a day makes. The secondary looks improved vs what we had last year.
DLine: We've added some pieces and depth. Still likely a position of need.

So: Draft looks like Oline, D line, and maybe LB/pass rusher (maybe a guy who can be both).
I kind of see Miami going Defense with this draft. They need to considering some of the defense is going to have to be on rookie deals when Holland and Phillips get extended. I see either a LT that can play guard or a developmental guy later in the draft. This line needs guys who can move.

Fuller is a nice signing on paper but all I can think about is him getting roasted by DJ Moore this year.
Fuller had an 80+ pff grade in 2023 and 2021. Even though he has given up TDs. Maybe it's his sticky coverage which may fit better with what Weaver wants to do on defense.

>>Kendall Fuller forced a tight window on 48.0% of his targets in man coverage last season, 4th-highest in the NFL (min. 20 targets).

Fuller joins a Miami defense that recorded a tight window rate of 20.0% while in man coverage in 2023, tied for 9th-lowest in the NFL.<<

Fuller is a nice signing on paper but all I can think about is him getting roasted by DJ Moore this year.
Fuller had an 80+ pff grade in 2023 and 2021. Even though he has given up TDs. Maybe it's his sticky coverage which may fit better with what Weaver wants to do on defense.

>>Kendall Fuller forced a tight window on 48.0% of his targets in man coverage last season, 4th-highest in the NFL (min. 20 targets).

Fuller joins a Miami defense that recorded a tight window rate of 20.0% while in man coverage in 2023, tied for 9th-lowest in the NFL.<<

Kendall Fuller is probably the best signing of FA by any team given the cost.

FA signings so far...

TE Jonnu Smith (2yrs/$10m)
DT Daviyon Nixon (1yr/$1m)
DT Isaiah Mack (1yr/$1.1m)
LB Anthony Walker (1yr/$1.2m)
LB Jordyn Brooks (3yrs/$26.2m)
C Aaron Brewer (3yrs/$21m)
LB Shaq Barrett (1yr/$9m)
S Jordan Poyer (1yr/$2m)
CB/ST Siran Neal (TBC)
DT Neville Gallimore (1yr/$1.79m)
CB Kendall Fuller (2yr/$16.5m)
TE Jody Fortson (TBC)
DT Benito Jones (TBC)

FA signings so far...

TE Jonnu Smith (2yrs/$10m)
DT Daviyon Nixon (1yr/$1m)
DT Isaiah Mack (1yr/$1.1m)
LB Anthony Walker (1yr/$1.2m)
LB Jordyn Brooks (3yrs/$26.2m)
C Aaron Brewer (3yrs/$21m)
LB Shaq Barrett (1yr/$9m)
S Jordan Poyer (1yr/$2m)
CB/ST Siran Neal (TBC)
DT Neville Gallimore (1yr/$1.79m)
CB Kendall Fuller (2yr/$16.5m)
TE Jody Fortson (TBC)
DT Benito Jones (TBC)
A few starters and a bunch of warm bodies for the defense. Nothing crazy or too long term. I don't know much about Brooks.

Ok, so when the dust begins to settle here, It seems like Miami is retooling with some guys that will not break the bank but seem to be decent replacements for what we have lost.

DL and OL seem to be what Miami will draft and/or trade for once the draft is over.

Back to the QB discussion: Miami is still in discussions with Tua's camp for the extension, and considering the way Greer has worked in the past with these situations, I think a deal will be the type Miami has used in the recent past with some players: It will look huge on paper, but have some decent "outs" if Tua takes a step backward ala the X Howard contract. If Tua excels then he will be one of the "restructure guys" to make Miami cap compliant. In any case, I don't think Miami goes QB shopping this year. More likely 2025 or 26 (figure no matter what this QB room will have one of the two backups off the roster to bring in a draft guy in 2025)

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

DBs: well, what a difference a day makes. The secondary looks improved vs what we had last year.

So: Draft looks like Oline, D line, and maybe LB/pass rusher (maybe a guy who can be both).
I kind of see Miami going Defense with this draft. They need to considering some of the defense is going to have to be on rookie deals when Holland and Phillips get extended. I see either a LT that can play guard or a developmental guy later in the draft. This line needs guys who can move.
You have a couple of these posts, I thought I would use it since these kinds of posts are usually productive

QB: Forget about Tua for a minute, why is Mike White on this team? $5M in 2024...we have Skylar, we could draft another back up, White is terrible.
$5.2M right there, wasted resources IMHO
-BTW: Why did Ross tamper with Brady which ended up costing us picks if Tua is really a franchise QB? "You don't have to answer that"

RB: They don't spend $ here, I'll give them that. Mostert and Achane were fun to watch but I'm not sure Miami should continue to bank on 32 yr old Mostert and Achane so far does not look like a workhorse RB, Mostert was injury prone throughout his time in SF, Miami has been very lucky so far. Ahmed and Jeff Wilson will be here again. Injury prone RBs can disappear quickly. We spend less than $8M-$10M for the whole lot

WR: $31M on Hill, $8.6M on Waddle, not all rookie contracts are cheap but I outlined his mkt value right now is over $27M and rising...not many WRs have ever gotten an extension after 3 seasons but Waddle cost 2 first Rd picks and most people like him, I felt the injuries slowed him down a lot last season, would like to see him have a true Pro Bowl level year but if that happens his stock rises even higher. Is Waddle worth $25M per year right now? Hear me out because no matter what, extension/no extension, he must play out the 4th year of his rookie contract so the money wouldn't kick in a lot until '25 and '26 and since we lost Wilkins and Hunt, You can guess which way i lean here but since Miami is in a partial rebuild, I'm not sure I want to commit money anywhere right now. Who is No 3 on this team? To compound the problems, Miami is top heavy and has little depth

TE: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJo01.htm
He won't be getting as many targets here, not sure what everyone is so excited about. He had 8 TDs in 2020, his avg is about 2-3, his targets went from 45 in '22 to 70 in Atlanta last year
He might be better than Smythe but he had 28 and 27 catches in the 2 seasons before Atlanta, I would say his run blocking is welcome, but he doesn't move the needle for receptions.
He helped block for Henry in Tennessee and then Stephenson looked pretty good at times in New England the last couple years

OL: LT and RT seem like they are in decent shape, yeah we need a good back up or swing type that can fill in when either of them misses time.
I was shocked at Austin Jackson and still would like to see him remain consistent since he has Tua's blind side. Armstead has started 23 games out of 34 possible starts.
Odds are high he won't play 16-17 games at LT this season.
-The IOL is all over the place right now. I'm not convinced that Brewer will 100% play Center, he logged a lot of snaps at RG/LG, Miami could still draft a Center,
Connor Williams has not been scooped up yet, maybe he'd like to come back for a 1 yr deal and rehab that ACL, maybe he starts the year on the PUP, I'm keeping an open mind :lol:

Your Defense...i would break it up into one more Sub category

Edge: 2 starters down with injury, AVG is gone, Shaq Barrett replaces him and this year there is only $1M salary difference, granted Shaq is a 1 yr deal.

DL: Depends on the scheme but Sieler is your entire starting DL right now, don't consider the scrubbs they are signing much more than camp fodder if they make the team.
Actually Benito Jones did start 15 games for the Detroit Lions last year, only 1 sack, 6 QB hits but I am betting he is a pure NT and at 335-350 lbs(I looked it up), he's there to stuff the run
They need a few more bodies here for sure.

LB: I didn't think Baker was that bad last year but I spotlighted him when i went over the cap numbers last couple pages, knew he was on the cut list with Ogbah and X
Long and Brooks should do pretty well inside at LB, Duke Riley is still hanging around somewhere, maybe he's the AVG fill in at Edge/OLB, he cannot cover well.

DB-Ramsey and Holland should be enough to put a lot of pressure and force QBs away from them, that does make it somewhat easier to know who needs help in double coverage
Fuller that was signed, some seem to think he's pretty good. Kohou and Needham are both back, slot WRs should not find it easy to throw and catch on us.

Miami needs IOL/Swing Tackle and DL help in the Draft or anyway they can find it, it's not good when both sides of the line look shaky at best.
I also think they need Edge help but this isn't the Draft for that IMHO, there will be someone at 21, Grier got burned on Harris in the 1st Rd, I doubt he picks Edge
There are several DL prospects, whether they are there at 21, who knows?

21-55-158...

Last edited:

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

You have a couple of these posts, I thought I would use it since these kinds of posts are usually productive

QB: Forget about Tua for a minute, why is Mike White on this team? $5M in 2024...we have Skylar, we could draft another back up, White is terrible.
$5.2M right there, wasted resources IMHO
-BTW: Why did Ross tamper with Brady which ended up costing us picks if Tua is really a franchise QB? "You don't have to answer that"

RB: They don't spend $ here, I'll give them that. Mostert and Achane were fun to watch but I'm not sure Miami should continue to bank on 32 yr old Mostert and Achane so far does not look like a workhorse RB, Mostert was injury prone throughout his time in SF, Miami has been very lucky so far. Ahmed and Jeff Wilson will be here again. Injury prone RBs can disappear quickly. We spend less than $8M-$10M for the whole lot

WR: $31M on Hill, $8.6M on Waddle, not all rookie contracts are cheap but I outlined his mkt value right now is over $27M and rising...not many WRs have ever gotten an extension after 3 seasons but Waddle cost 2 first Rd picks and most people like him, I felt the injuries slowed him down a lot last season, would like to see him have a true Pro Bowl level year but if that happens his stock rises even higher. Is Waddle worth $25M per year right now? Hear me out because no matter what, extension/no extension, he must play out the 4th year of his rookie contract so the money wouldn't kick in a lot until '25 and '26 and since we lost Wilkins and Hunt, You can guess which way i lean here but since Miami is in a partial rebuild, I'm not sure I want to commit money anywhere right now. Who is No 3 on this team? To compound the problems, Miami is top heavy and has little depth

TE: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJo01.htm
He won't be getting as many targets here, not sure what everyone is so excited about. He had 8 TDs in 2020, his avg is about 2-3, his targets went from 45 in '22 to 70 in Atlanta last year
He might be better than Smythe but he had 28 and 27 catches in the 2 seasons before Atlanta, I would say his run blocking is welcome, but he doesn't move the needle for receptions.
He helped block for Henry in Tennessee and then Stephenson looked pretty good at times in New England the last couple years

OL: LT and RT seem like they are in decent shape, yeah we need a good back up or swing type that can fill in when either of them misses time.
I was shocked at Austin Jackson and still would like to see him remain consistent since he has Tua's blind side. Armstead has started 23 games out of 34 possible starts.
Odds are high he won't play 16-17 games at LT this season.
-The IOL is all over the place right now. I'm not convinced that Brewer will 100% play Center, he logged a lot of snaps at RG/LG, Miami could still draft a Center,
Connor Williams has not been scooped up yet, maybe he'd like to come back for a 1 yr deal and rehab that ACL, maybe he starts the year on the PUP, I'm keeping an open mind :lol:

Your Defense...i would break it up into one more Sub category

Edge: 2 starters down with injury, AVG is gone, Shaq Barrett replaces him and this year there is only $1M salary difference, granted Shaq is a 1 yr deal.

DL: Depends on the scheme but Sieler is your entire starting DL right now, don't consider the scrubbs they are signing much more than camp fodder if they make the team.
Actually Benito Jones did start 15 games for the Detroit Lions last year, only 1 sack, 6 QB hits but I am betting he is a pure NT and at 335-350 lbs(I looked it up), he's there to stuff the run
They need a few more bodies here for sure.

LB: I didn't think Baker was that bad last year but I spotlighted him when i went over the cap numbers last couple pages, knew he was on the cut list with Ogbah and X
Long and Brooks should do pretty well inside at LB, Duke Riley is still hanging around somewhere, maybe he's the AVG fill in at Edge/OLB, he cannot cover well.

DB-Ramsey and Holland should be enough to put a lot of pressure and force QBs away from them, that does make it somewhat easier to know who needs help in double coverage
Fuller that was signed, some seem to think he's pretty good. Kohou and Needham are both back, slot WRs should not find it easy to throw and catch on us.

Miami needs IOL/Swing Tackle and DL help in the Draft or anyway they can find it, it's not good when both sides of the line look shaky at best.
I also think they need Edge help but this isn't the Draft for that IMHO, there will be someone at 21, Grier got burned on Harris in the 1st Rd, I doubt he picks Edge
There are several DL prospects, whether they are there at 21, who knows?

21-55-158...
Awesome post! Just to add my...several cents:

QB: Fully agree, what does Mike White bring? One of the lesser backups in the league. Judging by prior posts, I'm a little higher on Tua than you are, but they're in trouble if he goes down. Then again, so are most teams if they lose their starter. Josh Dobbs is probably the best FA left.

RB: Achane may not be a workhorse, but he might be the biggest playmaking RB in the AFC. I think we just saw the beginning of a big-time player. Mostert is a solid enough option, and while it was a very small sample, I think they might have a decent player in Chris Brooks.

WR: Best 1-2 punch at WR in the NFL in my opinion. Hill is the best WR in the AFC, and I think Waddle is a top-10 NFL, who just doesn't get the targets because of Hill. A #3 is a huge need though. I don't think they need to break the back, bringing Berrios back would probably be fine, but I'd be really interested in maybe a cheap reclamation project like Michael Thomas.

TE: Not a Jonnu fan, I think TE should be a consideration in the draft in round 1 or 2. Man, if Bowers somehow fell, but even a guy like Sanders in round 2. That said, they don't ask much from the position so its a smaller priority, but an interesting potential pivot if the right guys fall.

OL: Brewer is a great run blocker and a liability pass blocker, excels at getting to the 2nd level which is huge with these RBs. Pretty much in agreement though, this is a big need, probably the biggest one. Troy Fautanu, Jackson Powers-Johnson, and Graham Barton are all potential options at #20.

DL: Love the Barrett signing. When healthy, I think he'll actually be their best pass rusher, and is an nice upgrade for them. I think his addition, means they can kick Chubb inside on passing downs, which they didn't do, but he occasionally did in Denver. DT is a need with Wilkins gone, and seemingly only Sieler as a reliable player. Byron Murphy would be a dream at #20, and Jer'Zhan Newton wouldn't be bad either.

LB: 100% agree on Baker. I hated the Brooks signing, he's always been overrated to me. I'm not sure he's better than Duke Riley. I like Anthony Walker as a signing more. It kinda reminds me of the Bears signing Edmunds and Edwards last year, where Edmunds was the higher profile guy, but it was zero surprise Edwards was better. Maybe Tindall gets it together in year 3. Its a deep spot right now.

DB: Fuller is a huge upgrade over Howard in my eyes. I kinda think Howard is about a year or 2 from falling out of the league. Good career, but it was time to move on. Fuller is so underrated, I think because Washington hasn't really been good for a bit. He's got inside/outside versatility and can even play Safety in a pinch. I also like both the slot guys (Kahou and Needham) just fine. I'm curious to see if Cam Smith takes a step forward, as I liked him as a prospect. I'd argue Holland is the 3rd best Safety in the NFL (Winfield, Hamilton) and Poyer is old (33) but a solid addition for this year. I think he's better than Elliott or Jones were.

I'm very high on Miami this season. I think the AFC East is theirs for the taking (probably win it last year if the defense doesn't run out of guys) and they look like a top-3 AFC team to me. They just need to not draw KC in a below 0 game.

Awesome post! Just to add my...several cents:

QB: Fully agree, what does Mike White bring? One of the lesser backups in the league. Judging by prior posts, I'm a little higher on Tua than you are, but they're in trouble if he goes down. Then again, so are most teams if they lose their starter. Josh Dobbs is probably the best FA left.

RB: Achane may not be a workhorse, but he might be the biggest playmaking RB in the AFC. I think we just saw the beginning of a big-time player. Mostert is a solid enough option, and while it was a very small sample, I think they might have a decent player in Chris Brooks.

WR: Best 1-2 punch at WR in the NFL in my opinion. Hill is the best WR in the AFC, and I think Waddle is a top-10 NFL, who just doesn't get the targets because of Hill. A #3 is a huge need though. I don't think they need to break the back, bringing Berrios back would probably be fine, but I'd be really interested in maybe a cheap reclamation project like Michael Thomas.

TE: Not a Jonnu fan, I think TE should be a consideration in the draft in round 1 or 2. Man, if Bowers somehow fell, but even a guy like Sanders in round 2. That said, they don't ask much from the position so its a smaller priority, but an interesting potential pivot if the right guys fall.

OL: Brewer is a great run blocker and a liability pass blocker, excels at getting to the 2nd level which is huge with these RBs. Pretty much in agreement though, this is a big need, probably the biggest one. Troy Fautanu, Jackson Powers-Johnson, and Graham Barton are all potential options at #20.

DL: Love the Barrett signing. When healthy, I think he'll actually be their best pass rusher, and is an nice upgrade for them. I think his addition, means they can kick Chubb inside on passing downs, which they didn't do, but he occasionally did in Denver. DT is a need with Wilkins gone, and seemingly only Sieler as a reliable player. Byron Murphy would be a dream at #20, and Jer'Zhan Newton wouldn't be bad either.

LB: 100% agree on Baker. I hated the Brooks signing, he's always been overrated to me. I'm not sure he's better than Duke Riley. I like Anthony Walker as a signing more. It kinda reminds me of the Bears signing Edmunds and Edwards last year, where Edmunds was the higher profile guy, but it was zero surprise Edwards was better. Maybe Tindall gets it together in year 3. Its a deep spot right now.

DB: Fuller is a huge upgrade over Howard in my eyes. I kinda think Howard is about a year or 2 from falling out of the league. Good career, but it was time to move on. Fuller is so underrated, I think because Washington hasn't really been good for a bit. He's got inside/outside versatility and can even play Safety in a pinch. I also like both the slot guys (Kahou and Needham) just fine. I'm curious to see if Cam Smith takes a step forward, as I liked him as a prospect. I'd argue Holland is the 3rd best Safety in the NFL (Winfield, Hamilton) and Poyer is old (33) but a solid addition for this year. I think he's better than Elliott or Jones were.

I'm very high on Miami this season. I think the AFC East is theirs for the taking (probably win it last year if the defense doesn't run out of guys) and they look like a top-3 AFC team to me. They just need to not draw KC in a below 0 game.
Thanks for taking the time to share all of this.
-I thought of your threads when I was doing my post, that's why i picked Gator's it was laid out in an easy to read format
Some great names you dropped that the Phins need to be looking at in the 1st Rd, IOL/Center was always going to be a need, we knew Connor wasn't likely to be back, ACL or not.

I do not share your evaluation on Shaq Barrett, Bucs are my second favorite team since '93 and I didn't see much left in the tank plus he's had some bad injuries.
I think he had an achilles tear and has never been the same...Jaelan Phillips same thing and I'm not optimistic. Chubb was injured late in the year, doubt we see him Week 1.
Miami needs to be ready to go Edge, there is no guarantees with anyone they have starting at DE/Edge/OLB, however you want to describe that position

Wilkins-R.Davis-Sieler was the base Miami DL on 1st and 10, short yardage, and of course you still had Phillips and Chubb on the Edge/OLB area
Edge-Wilkins-Sieler-Edge was likely the way it was set for passing downs.
Benito Jones will be the new Davis, Miami has to now try and replace Wilkins which I think is impossible in this year's draft.
You nailed down a couple DL, Murphy and Newton, like both of them but they aren't Wilkins
I also like Kris Jenkins from Michigan at #55 which is Miami's 2nd Rd pick, maybe they would have to move up to get him. Use that 1st on the best OL they can get

And shame on you giving these folks hope, 3rd best in the AFC? I have Miami finishing 3rd in the AFC East :lol: ...hope I'm wrong
You must see things in Tua that some of us down here don't. He was terrible down the stretch, 12 pass TDs last 10 starts
I think Miami would have been better off keeping a lot of the pieces that left and letting Tua walk or trade him and grab one of these arms in the Draft
But I promise you that is not the popular view. they're ready to make me walk the plank

I'm not going to quote MOP's post (because I'll be quoting mine and it will get tedious), but lets go through it a little more:

The QB Room:
The powers that be seem to be happy with it, and the videos of them during Hard Knocks makes me think that much like RB this is a group that may stay "status quo". MOP is not happy bc of Tua, and Mike White is a bone of contention for others. The fact that the Tua extension talks are still "ongoing" rather than "done" seems telling. Miami needed/needs the cap space and the Tua extension seems like the logical place to get another boost, but yet here we are. Seeing what Greer has done in the past with some of these creative contracts where Miami has "outs" it makes me feel like the negotiation isn't going in the direction Miami wants. Based on this and Mike white also still being on the team, I see a QB being drafted this year. Maybe not in the top two rounds, but someone. It would not surprise me if a deal isn't done by draft day for Miami to see if one of these guys falls to them in the first or second round.

Basically the Tua, White, Thompson combo screams for one of them to not be in the room once the dust settles. IF thompson can't overtake white for the #2 Role then why is he here? If he can then why is white here? Thompson is still on his rookie deal so I think this is his last chance to try and move up.

My estimation of Tua is that he is a capable starter in this league, but still needs seasoning. I will always use the Drew Brees comp when it comes to Tua and it still seems to fit.

As for Stephen Ross and the tampering charge: Owners of NFL teams all think they are above the law. Ross simply was dumb enough to get caught when his coach went rogue.

RB:

Another "run it back" scenario: don't see much reason to hate it, as we had a solid running game last year. Achane could be an emerging star if healthy, and the only guy out thereI would have paid for is D. Henry

WR/TE: I'm going to lump them bc I think there is an identity change about to occur here. I think the phins were hamstrung in a way with Ced Wilson. They signed him before Tyreek became available and it was a piece they were stuck with. Same with Geseki. Now, they got J Smith and the kid from KC. J Smith is a good blocker, good receiver, and also can run the ball. McDaniel is going to use him, I think, in much better ways than he could use a 3rd WR. McD is all about matchups, and with Hill, Achane, Smith, Waddle at the skill positions with a FB/TE/WR in the other spot who do you double? It's a poor man's SF with us being a tad better at WR and them being much better at RB and TE, but if Achane becomes CMAC with more speed holy crap!

OLine: Not going to beat this to death. the NEED screams for a OT that can play guard or flex out to LT this year and then take the spot for himself next year. Everything Miami does from an offensive perspective relies on the running game being able to scare teams. The Oline is more of a key to that (on any team) than the player behind the line.

Defense:

DT: I think they are trying to replace wilkins in the aggregate. Good luck there. I think they draft here as well.

Edge Rush/ LB: I think Miami sees this as a position of need as well. Not sure we have enough draft capital to address it this year, but I also haven't seen what is out there.

Secondary: I think coaching what we have will be the key. I'd love for us to trade for Surtain, but the fuller deal means that is likely not going to happen. No matter what, I think more secondary help arrives during or after the draft.

2024 draft and post draft period: Miami gets the Howard cap relief after the draft is done and they can still see where their holes are. It also allows them to keep the two thrid rounders they get as compensation for their losses in FA. This team is going to continue to evolve pretty much through training camp, and if they are in contention even up to the trade deadline.

2025 and Beyond: I don't think Miami loses a step next year. I think they will contend for the divison and hopefully win the AFCE. The Bills are a threat as always but also suffered some key losses and the Jets may be a factor if they can fix their Oline and their QB doesn't lose anymore of this health or his mind.

As to the future beyond this sesason: Well, the core is going to be Waddle, Achane, A couple of O linemen, Phillips if he recovers, Seiler, and Holland. Tua is likely part of that core as well, but again, who knows. Miami is positioning themselves to have a load of picks in 2025 and a load of cap space. The "Tua" deal whenever it is finally announced will signal Miami's intentions about whether this is a retool or rebuild Starting in 2025

FYI...ALL of my FF leagues with group chats discussing all the FA moves in my redraft leagues,
BANNED from discussing the Miami Dolphins, other Phins fans saying I'm much too negative :lol:

-I just want to thank everyone for letting me be MoP...I'm sure in coming weeks I'll cool off and try to find some silver linings but right nw it's kinda hard.
I do find it odd/strange that they have not extended Tua already, could have done it for a lot less after Year 3 or sometime along the way in year 4, now 5th Yr option...
Miami is going to pay top dollar, it won't surprise me if he resets the QB market, seriously. Do i agree with it? Of course not, but the tea leaves and loss of so many FA
Looks inevitable but Grier has said things like "training camp" and that seems far off at the moment.

-Point being, i appreciate all of you and your ability to put up with me even when I don't write what you would like to read
Lot of heavy lifting going on here right now, @Gatorman and we got @travdogg to share his thoughts on the team, slightly different outlook vs mine in 2024
That's good stuff and that's what makes the Shark Pool one of the best places IMHO

WR/TE: I'm going to lump them bc I think there is an identity change about to occur here. I think the phins were hamstrung in a way with Ced Wilson. They signed him before Tyreek became available and it was a piece they were stuck with. Same with Geseki. Now, they got J Smith and the kid from KC. J Smith is a good blocker, good receiver, and also can run the ball. McDaniel is going to use him, I think, in much better ways than he could use a 3rd WR. McD is all about matchups, and with Hill, Achane, Smith, Waddle at the skill positions with a FB/TE/WR in the other spot who do you double? It's a poor man's SF with us being a tad better at WR and them being much better at RB and TE, but if Achane becomes CMAC with more speed holy crap!
Smith's blocking is definitely going to be a factor. I question the depth of this group though.

Users who are viewing this thread