What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (6 Viewers)

WR/TE: I'm going to lump them bc I think there is an identity change about to occur here. I think the phins were hamstrung in a way with Ced Wilson. They signed him before Tyreek became available and it was a piece they were stuck with. Same with Geseki. Now, they got J Smith and the kid from KC. J Smith is a good blocker, good receiver, and also can run the ball. McDaniel is going to use him, I think, in much better ways than he could use a 3rd WR. McD is all about matchups, and with Hill, Achane, Smith, Waddle at the skill positions with a FB/TE/WR in the other spot who do you double? It's a poor man's SF with us being a tad better at WR and them being much better at RB and TE, but if Achane becomes CMAC with more speed holy crap!
Smith's blocking is definitely going to be a factor. I question the depth of this group though.
Smith-Smythe is stronger than just Smythe, yes/no? I would think the combo of them is fairly cheap.
Smythe will actually be paid more this season but I expect to see both out there at time for RB 7 along the line, 2 WR, QB-RB and BLAST away on the running game.
One way to hide the defense is to actually try and sustain the running game. I don't care, rotate all 3-4 RBs, but keep running the ball.
Last season despite some major numbers, they still seemed unable to sustain it towards the end fo the year.
Some of that were major OL injuries, we know that but it also starts with the play calls.

For example, I hate those passes backwards to a w WR 5 yds behind the LOS, sometimes it seemed like more, they were disastrous when we were in short yardage, defied logic.

Not good and Hill has had other beefs off the field.
"Domestic Dispute"
This has always been an issue with Hill, he seems to be in trouble more often than not. At some point it is going to catch up to him. Great player on the field, just not so sure of his character off the field.

As for some other posts in this thread, we definitely need Waddle to stay healthy. Like any offense that doesn't have one of their top weapons - it hurt when Waddle wasn't in the line-up. He needs to do a better job taking care of himself as he seems to be slow getting up after almost every catch. When healthy he's a beast - don't forget he set the rookie reception record. Yes Puka beat him by 1 but Puka played 17 games and needed 10 more targets to do so. Waddle is a really good WR he just needs to be on the field.

As for the RBs, I really hope we see Chris Brooks get more burn this year. Matt Waldman is high on this guy and I think he showed well in his very limited touches early in the season when he filled in during injuries. Hope he can take more of the early down workload as hes a bigger back who can take a bit of the grinding.

WR/TE: I'm going to lump them bc I think there is an identity change about to occur here. I think the phins were hamstrung in a way with Ced Wilson. They signed him before Tyreek became available and it was a piece they were stuck with. Same with Geseki. Now, they got J Smith and the kid from KC. J Smith is a good blocker, good receiver, and also can run the ball. McDaniel is going to use him, I think, in much better ways than he could use a 3rd WR. McD is all about matchups, and with Hill, Achane, Smith, Waddle at the skill positions with a FB/TE/WR in the other spot who do you double? It's a poor man's SF with us being a tad better at WR and them being much better at RB and TE, but if Achane becomes CMAC with more speed holy crap!
Smith's blocking is definitely going to be a factor. I question the depth of this group though.
Smith-Smythe is stronger than just Smythe, yes/no? I would think the combo of them is fairly cheap.
Smythe will actually be paid more this season but I expect to see both out there at time for RB 7 along the line, 2 WR, QB-RB and BLAST away on the running game.
One way to hide the defense is to actually try and sustain the running game. I don't care, rotate all 3-4 RBs, but keep running the ball.
Last season despite some major numbers, they still seemed unable to sustain it towards the end fo the year.
Some of that were major OL injuries, we know that but it also starts with the play calls.

For example, I hate those passes backwards to a w WR 5 yds behind the LOS, sometimes it seemed like more, they were disastrous when we were in short yardage, defied logic.
Tunnel Screens do work, but I feel that most of the Shanny offenses are not strong screen offenses.

Basically, I think the offensive evolution will be in adding the TE as a weapon. TO do that, however in the context of how the running game is set up a TE has to have the ability to block. Smith and Smythe can both be inline blockers. J Smith also has the ability to run the ball on jet motion, so it adds another wrinkle. Mike Gesecki was kind of like having Duncan Robinson: He can hit the three and pull the defense towards him, but he's not a force in the pick and roll. Smith, in this case is more like Tyler Herro: He can hit the three, spread the D, but can also make his own shot.

I think our power run evolves and Achane and the rest of the speed merchants in the backfield can break from anywhere. If you lay your safeties back to guard against hill and waddle, BOOM, 8 yards to Achane. You bring them up and take a bad angle, the run to the house.

Ok, so when the dust begins to settle here, It seems like Miami is retooling with some guys that will not break the bank but seem to be decent replacements for what we have lost.

DL and OL seem to be what Miami will draft and/or trade for once the draft is over.

Back to the QB discussion: Miami is still in discussions with Tua's camp for the extension, and considering the way Greer has worked in the past with these situations, I think a deal will be the type Miami has used in the recent past with some players: It will look huge on paper, but have some decent "outs" if Tua takes a step backward ala the X Howard contract. If Tua excels then he will be one of the "restructure guys" to make Miami cap compliant. In any case, I don't think Miami goes QB shopping this year. More likely 2025 or 26 (figure no matter what this QB room will have one of the two backups off the roster to bring in a draft guy in 2025)

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

QB: Waiting on Tua's extension. Backups seem in place
RB: Ahmed resigned. RB room unchanged as of now.
WR: Top 3 guys still here. Other 4 pending.
TE: Upgrade with J Smith and Fortson. 1-2 spots still up for grabs
Oline: Some guys brought in, but more guys still needed.

Defense:

LBs: retooled. Maybe still need one more in the draft
DBs: well, what a difference a day makes. The secondary looks improved vs what we had last year.
DLine: We've added some pieces and depth. Still likely a position of need.

So: Draft looks like Oline, D line, and maybe LB/pass rusher (maybe a guy who can be both).
I kind of see Miami going Defense with this draft. They need to considering some of the defense is going to have to be on rookie deals when Holland and Phillips get extended. I see either a LT that can play guard or a developmental guy later in the draft. This line needs guys who can move.
You simply cannot depend on and bank on Phillips ever being the same guy after an Achilles tear. I think they are looking hard at an edge rusher in round 1 if there are any they love on the board when they pick.

I hope Phillips comes back full strength....but man that injury is career changing...even when you are that young. There is no guarantee he will ever have that explosive first step ever again.

That is a wait and see.

Chubb on his second ACL injury.....this was a killer last season. A guy who finally was rounding into why we traded for him....and then his knee blows out in a meaningless game at that point in a blowout vs the Ravens.......the life of a Dolphins fan never ceases to amaze me.

If we win 9 games this season.....I will be surprised. We are going to need some real career years from average guys and a great draft to have any shot at a post season appearance yet alone first post season win in 25 years.

Not good and Hill has had other beefs off the field.
"Domestic Dispute"
Ticking time bomb off the field.
I worry for Hill once football is done. Seems to be going down the AB path.

Isaiah Wynn will be back in the fold for the IOL, he was a starter for 7 games prior to going down for the season
Started at LG and would likely start there again.
Have no idea what the money is

Back up IOL-Jack Driscoll will challenge along with Robert Jones, Lester Cotton and Liam Eichenberg right now for the back up RG/LG spots

Ok, so when the dust begins to settle here, It seems like Miami is retooling with some guys that will not break the bank but seem to be decent replacements for what we have lost.

DL and OL seem to be what Miami will draft and/or trade for once the draft is over.

Back to the QB discussion: Miami is still in discussions with Tua's camp for the extension, and considering the way Greer has worked in the past with these situations, I think a deal will be the type Miami has used in the recent past with some players: It will look huge on paper, but have some decent "outs" if Tua takes a step backward ala the X Howard contract. If Tua excels then he will be one of the "restructure guys" to make Miami cap compliant. In any case, I don't think Miami goes QB shopping this year. More likely 2025 or 26 (figure no matter what this QB room will have one of the two backups off the roster to bring in a draft guy in 2025)

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

DBs: well, what a difference a day makes. The secondary looks improved vs what we had last year.

So: Draft looks like Oline, D line, and maybe LB/pass rusher (maybe a guy who can be both).
I kind of see Miami going Defense with this draft. They need to considering some of the defense is going to have to be on rookie deals when Holland and Phillips get extended. I see either a LT that can play guard or a developmental guy later in the draft. This line needs guys who can move.
You simply cannot depend on and bank on Phillips ever being the same guy after an Achilles tear. I think they are looking hard at an edge rusher in round 1 if there are any they love on the board when they pick.

I hope Phillips comes back full strength....but man that injury is career changing...even when you are that young. There is no guarantee he will ever have that explosive first step ever again.

That is a wait and see.

Chubb on his second ACL injury.....this was a killer last season. A guy who finally was rounding into why we traded for him....and then his knee blows out in a meaningless game at that point in a blowout vs the Ravens.......the life of a Dolphins fan never ceases to amaze me.

If we win 9 games this season.....I will be surprised. We are going to need some real career years from average guys and a great draft to have any shot at a post season appearance yet alone first post season win in 25 years.
This is partly why I hammered down when they let Wilkins, Hunt and AVG all walk for nothing.
At the least you franchise tag Wilkins or Hunt and then work some kind of trade, you let someone like Phillips go after his rookie deal because he likely will never be the same

-Edge is not a great position to be drafting this year, not a lot of great prospects, usually someone at DL/Edge is a Top 5 prospect, this year not so much.
It's also very frustrating because after watching 1st Rd-Wilkins walk, #37 overall-Hunt walk, AVG walk, Miami did sign him to a 1 yr deal after his rookie contract
But it's hard to get excited about anyone because this organization right now doesn't seem to extend contracts to really good players from the Draft after their rookie deals are up
So as a Miami fan, why should I even care about who they draft? Plus they only have 21 and 55 right now, then 158, bad spot when you are rebuilding the Defense and OL.

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

This is partly why I hammered down when they let Wilkins, Hunt and AVG all walk for nothing.
At the least you franchise tag Wilkins or Hunt and then work some kind of trade, you let someone like Phillips go after his rookie deal because he likely will never be the same

-Edge is not a great position to be drafting this year, not a lot of great prospects, usually someone at DL/Edge is a Top 5 prospect, this year not so much.
It's also very frustrating because after watching 1st Rd-Wilkins walk, #37 overall-Hunt walk, AVG walk, Miami did sign him to a 1 yr deal after his rookie contract
But it's hard to get excited about anyone because this organization right now doesn't seem to extend contracts to really good players from the Draft after their rookie deals are up
So as a Miami fan, why should I even care about who they draft? Plus they only have 21 and 55 right now, then 158, bad spot when you are rebuilding the Defense and OL.
Henceforth why I feel this will be a long season of the same old same old....8-9 wins max...maybe a post season berth and getting bounced in the first round.

Meantime check out the Florida Panthers and Miami Heat.

It's night and day how these franchises are being run in comparison to this team....you said it....other than a better culture what has changed in terms of success?

What?

Nothing. Maybe the only thing I could say was it's a lot of fun watching Tyreek Hill dominate....and then like usual in December we collapse and don't have a QB with any ability to take over games and put our team on his back. But let's go ahead and commit 50MM per season to this.....makes sense.

The alternative? Start over.....because basically we need too......again. It is what it is. What's another 5 years when we have been sitting around for the last 25 plus with this crap.

It's the QB stupid. CJ Stroud as a rookie.....look at what he did....just look. In year freaking 1.

Oh well. Thank god for the Cardiac Cats and Miami Heat.

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

Henceforth why I feel this will be a long season of the same old same old....8-9 wins max...maybe a post season berth and getting bounced in the first round.

It's night and day how these franchises are being run in comparison to this team....you said it....other than a better culture what has changed in terms of success?

What?

Nothing. Maybe the only thing I could say was it's a lot of fun watching Tyreek Hill dominate....and then like usual in December we collapse and don't have a QB with any ability to take over games and put our team on his back. But let's go ahead and commit 50MM per season to this.....makes sense.

The alternative? Start over.....because basically we need too......again. It is what it is. What's another 5 years when we have been sitting around for the last 25 plus with this crap.

It's the QB stupid. CJ Stroud as a rookie.....look at what he did....just look. In year freaking 1.

I understand what you are saying, but then why doesn't every team just draft a CJ Stroud when they need one? Look at all the QBs drafted over the past 3-4 years, how has that worked out? Moreover you have to suck bad enough to try to get a top 10 pick (and hope your owner doesn't F around and find out).

Miami has been playing a lot better ball the last 2 years, in particular last year. Unfortunately injuries to some key players hurt the team. If the team stays healthy maybe it is a different story on how the season finished.

Maybe I'm the odd one out here but Tua is a better QB than MIA has had in years. I do feel he is someone they can build around. Now maybe that hurts long term not being able to draft a new QB in the top 10, but I do believe last year, if healthy, could have given a better run in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

What?

I understand what you are saying, but then why doesn't every team just draft a CJ Stroud when they need one? Look at all the QBs drafted over the past 3-4 years, how has that worked out? Moreover you have to suck bad enough to try to get a top 10 pick (and hope your owner doesn't F around and find out).

Miami has been playing a lot better ball the last 2 years, in particular last year. Unfortunately injuries to some key players hurt the team. If the team stays healthy maybe it is a different story on how the season finished.

Maybe I'm the odd one out here but Tua is a better QB than MIA has had in years. I do feel he is someone they can build around. Now maybe that hurts long term not being able to draft a new QB in the top 10, but I do believe last year, if healthy, could have given a better run in the playoffs.
Yeah I am well aware how difficult it is. My point is pretty clear. I don't believe in Tua.

Keep drafting guys till you it on one worthy of building around.

Going into year 5 of the Tua era with jack **** to still show for it.

Same records, same results, same BS. Been around too long I guess.

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

What?

Yeah I am well aware how difficult it is. My point is pretty clear. I don't believe in Tua.

The bills can say the same thing. The chargers too. The Texans have a second round exit. The entire 2021 qb draft class has been traded it seems. Even mahomes this year was mortal, their defense won that one. The bills have a lot of “moral victories “ but no rings and now they are in cap hell.

The question is always do we have a shot. We did last year and injuries derailed us. We are not qb good enough to cope with that many injuries but I’ll take this dolphin team with mcd at coach over any iteration we’ve had since shula left.

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

What?

The bills can say the same thing. The chargers too. The Texans have a second round exit. The entire 2021 qb draft class has been traded it seems. Even mahomes this year was mortal, their defense won that one. The bills have a lot of “moral victories “ but no rings and now they are in cap hell.

The question is always do we have a shot. We did last year and injuries derailed us. We are not qb good enough to cope with that many injuries but I’ll take this dolphin team with mcd at coach over any iteration we’ve had since shula left.
I can agree with that.

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

What?

Of the first 4 years, the first 2 Tua didn't have much to work for including an owner that was intentionally trying to lose. Even if someone doesn't like Tua you can't blame him for that. The coaches were a disaster too.

I know what you are getting at but Tua gets a bad rap for stuff that isn't his fault. Want to break down Tuas game - fine but team struggles and injuries that derail the season aren't on Tua.

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

What?

I can agree with that.
Zero Playoff wins, Jimmy Johnson did win a couple of Playoff games before getting roasted by Den and Jax so I gotta at least make a foot note there.

-I think we're setting the bar mighty low here for Wonderboy as HC
The guy has shown in action he has an awful lot to learn. Do we need to replay that 4th and 1 @ Buff in the Playoffs from the '22 season?
How about the amount of teams with a winning record the Phins have beaten under the McD watch?
I'm JS

I saw Colin Cowturd release his Top 10 for '24 as of right now, Miami nowhere in there

KC-SF-DET-GB-PHI-BAL-CLE-BUF-LAR-MN...
People don't fear Tua and McD as much as some of you seem to think.
Now I have very little respect for CC and his show, rarely tune in but this hit my news cycle and thought it was worth sharing what National Media think
Local Media isn't very fond of the Dolphins right now either

And I really don't understand why Grier still has a job. He takes responsibility for the Draft going back to 2017, what am I missing here?
ZERO Playoff wins, Good Bye!

Last edited:

Back to the "scorecard"

Offense

Defense:

That is a wait and see.

What?

Of the first 4 years, the first 2 Tua didn't have much to work for including an owner that was intentionally trying to lose. Even if someone doesn't like Tua you can't blame him for that. The coaches were a disaster too.

I know what you are getting at but Tua gets a bad rap for stuff that isn't his fault. Want to break down Tuas game - fine but team struggles and injuries that derail the season aren't on Tua.
No it's not.....but 2-11 lifetime on the road vs teams over .500 is on him.

Last season was a great season till injuries, lousy play calling and the typical December swoon took hold.

And let's not sugarcoat.....every team had major injuries....they all do.

The defense was playing at an elite level in December and our vaunted offense was pop gun again....that's on coaching and Tua. He does not have the alpha dog ability to carry a team when the situation calls for it.

Off script plays are gonna happen vs better teams and he has shown almost no ability to make them.

Kirk Cousins is a perfect comparison....puts up great numbers. Can't win big games, can't avoid sacks, lousy pocket awareness and an inability to use good footwork to avoid pressure.

And he just got dumb money.

So it is what it is.

I am all for moving forward and starting over because I have watched football far too long to already know.....

He ain't the guy.

Simple as that.

I bleed aqua and orange.....I root for them, I am behind Tua if he is the guy under center.....but I am also not blinded by my obvious homer glasses. If I see things I will call them out.

We have done nothing since the so called Grier rebuild that started before the 2020 draft.

He has been given more than enough chances.

We need a fresh start. What does it matter if we win 3-4 games vs 8-9.

I rather stink again and try to hit on a franchise signal caller.....because we don't have one.

Last edited:
Zero Playoff wins, Jimmy Johnson did win a couple of Playoff games before getting roasted by Den and Jax so I gotta at least make a foot note there.

The guy has shown in action he has an awful lot to learn. Do we need to replay that 4th and 1 @ Buff in the Playoffs from the '22 season?
How about the amount of teams with a winning record the Phins have beaten under the McD watch?
I'm JS

Again, I am not sure what we can look at and be so unbelievably glum. I've been here since the Dawn of the "almost" era. Woodley in the superbowl in 83. Dan breaking records in 84. The SB in 85, and then the Diaspora after that.

We had Dan and won a lot of games but never got to the SB again. The team with the best chance was the 91 team I think. Since then it has been 30 years of crap. Worse than crap because alot of those years had teams that were lucky to score 15 points. It wasn't just bad football, it was BORING football. The Wildcat is probably the only interesting wrinkle Miami had in all those years.

Now we have an offense that can score. Sure, it is getting beat by teams that are better than them. Or healthier, or with he better more dynamic QB, but we were in contention unitl we lost BOTH edge rushers, our starting safety, our starting inside linebacker, and most of our offensive line and missed a home playoff game because of one amazing pass to DeHop in double coverage.

I'm JS

Again, I am not sure what we can look at and be so unbelievably glum. I've been here since the Dawn of the "almost" era. Woodley in the superbowl in 83. Dan breaking records in 84. The SB in 85, and then the Diaspora after that.

We had Dan and won a lot of games but never got to the SB again. The team with the best chance was the 91 team I think. Since then it has been 30 years of crap. Worse than crap because alot of those years had teams that were lucky to score 15 points. It wasn't just bad football, it was BORING football. The Wildcat is probably the only interesting wrinkle Miami had in all those years.

Now we have an offense that can score. Sure, it is getting beat by teams that are better than them. Or healthier, or with he better more dynamic QB, but we were in contention unitl we lost BOTH edge rushers, our starting safety, our starting inside linebacker, and most of our offensive line and missed a home playoff game because of one amazing pass to DeHop in double coverage.
Good summary right there.

The glumness comes from already seeing what's coming soon......another rebuild.

I agree the "entertainment" factor is definitely a ton better these past two seasons. It's just my lack of football faith in Tua being "the guy" that keeps me from getting 100% invested with this team.

I agree the "entertainment" factor is definitely a ton better these past two seasons. It's just my lack of football faith in Tua being "the guy" that keeps me from getting 100% invested with this team.

Not sure about the "Other rebuild" conversation. Again, Miami not extending Tua yet continues to be telling. OBJ is next up to come in and visit. I say if we sign OBJ we might as well bring Landry back too. Why not?

Not sure about the "Other rebuild" conversation. Again, Miami not extending Tua yet continues to be telling. OBJ is next up to come in and visit. I say if we sign OBJ we might as well bring Landry back too. Why not?
OBJ? God please don't sign him....please no.

And yeah I hope the Dolphins grow a sack and not extend Tua. Because if some other team is willing to give him 50MM a year I would trade him and get as many draft assets as I can.

I'm JS

As a non-Dolphins fan, I agree, a lot of negativity for a team that was in the hunt for the #1 seed all season until a wave of injuries destroyed the defense. The loss in the 1st round I think is misleading people into thinking this is a 1 and done caliber team. They lost to the defending Champs, who went on to successfully defend that championship. Its not like they got blown out at home by some fringe playoff team.

I'm JS

As a non-Dolphins fan, I agree, a lot of negativity for a team that was in the hunt for the #1 seed all season until a wave of injuries destroyed the defense. The loss in the 1st round I think is misleading people into thinking this is a 1 and done caliber team. They lost to the defending Champs, who went on to successfully defend that championship. Its not like they got blown out at home by some fringe playoff team.
It's you who are fooled by the team.

Philly - loss
Bills - 2 losses
Ravens - loss
KC - 2 losses

Tell me.......who did we beat? Give me a signature win last season? Dallas? They are the Dolphins of the NFC.

Yes the injuries were a killer.....all those post season teams had tough injuries
too.

Damn straight I am negative....because I can sniff out a fake team in a nano second and we have a QB who is 2-11 on the road vs teams above .500

We ain't going anywhere in 2024.

I'm JS

Philly - loss
Bills - 2 losses
Ravens - loss
KC - 2 losses

Tell me.......who did we beat? Give me a signature win last season? Dallas? They are the Dolphins of the NFC.

Yes the injuries were a killer.....all those post season teams had tough injuries
too.

Damn straight I am negative....because I can sniff out a fake team in a nano second and we have a QB who is 2-11 on the road vs teams above .500

a lot of teams lose those games, until they don't.

Look, if you want to talk about which teams are "better" than us in the AFC, lets do that:

KC
The Bills, but it is close.
Cinci with Burrow at QB
The Ravens most of the time.

I'm sure some will say Houston so I will put them here, but they are likely in the next tier with us.

Then there is us with teams like Cleveland, Jacksonville, "maybe" the Jets this year if everything breaks right for them.

Of the teams above, Miami can run with any of them. Its usually 1-2 plays that either we cannot defend, or where a team gets lucky.

With KC, it was their D that did us in. We held them on offense.
With the Bills, its the over the middle passes and Allen
With the Ravens, it was the D that did us in.
Philly - it was the inability to stop the tush push and Philly was playing lights out at the time.

Losses to good teams are frustrating, but lets' look at this rationally: We've taken the step that we beat the teams we should. Only the last quarter of the Titans game is the outlier there. The team is still evolving and our HC is still growing into the role. Tua is Tua, and I am sure many out here would take the cannon arm of Herbert and his .400 win record with a team that frankly has underachived for its entire existence (Fouts, Tomlinson, Rivers, Herbert, etc etc etc have nothing to show for all the stats they have put up over the decades), but this is what we have in front of us.

We went from losing to everyone (1-15) to being a jeff fisher special (9-8, 8-8, 10 wins and missing the playoffs) to where we are now (Sharp offense, talented D when healthy) as a "playoff team" that still hasn't had a home playoff game in a while. We were so close to winning the division, but the Bills went on a run and we fell apart health wise. The O line matters, and it was in shambles at the end.

I'm JS

Philly - loss
Bills - 2 losses
Ravens - loss
KC - 2 losses

too.

Look, if you want to talk about which teams are "better" than us in the AFC, lets do that:

KC
Cinci with Burrow at QB

I'm sure some will say Houston so I will put them here, but they are likely in the next tier with us.

Then there is us with teams like Cleveland, Jacksonville, "maybe" the Jets this year if everything breaks right for them.

Of the teams above, Miami can run with any of them. Its usually 1-2 plays that either we cannot defend, or where a team gets lucky.

Philly - it was the inability to stop the tush push and Philly was playing lights out at the time.

Losses to good teams are frustrating, but lets' look at this rationally: We've taken the step that we beat the teams we should. Only the last quarter of the Titans game is the outlier there. The team is still evolving and our HC is still growing into the role. Tua is Tua, and I am sure many out here would take the cannon arm of Herbert and his .400 win record with a team that frankly has underachived for its entire existence (Fouts, Tomlinson, Rivers, Herbert, etc etc etc have nothing to show for all the stats they have put up over the decades), but this is what we have in front of us.

We went from losing to everyone (1-15) to being a jeff fisher special (9-8, 8-8, 10 wins and missing the playoffs) to where we are now (Sharp offense, talented D when healthy) as a "playoff team" that still hasn't had a home playoff game in a while. We were so close to winning the division, but the Bills went on a run and we fell apart health wise. The O line matters, and it was in shambles at the end.
This isn't just directed at Gator because Travdogg is also high on the Phins
56-19
21-14
26-7

-Those are the final 3 games of the 2023 season, all losses and clearly 2 of them fall on the Offense!
You're not winning when you put up 19, 14 and then 7 in a Playoff game...
What's changing this year that will overcome that?
Passing yds in those 3 games- 221-167-188...1st was in a 56-19 blowout, the next in good weather at home Week 17 and Tua/McD not up for the challenge and then the Freezer Bowl
Maybe Miami needs to find a running game that's consistent and not just break off a 70 yd TD run and then not move the ball for 3 or 4 drives a a time.

-I see some of the good that you all see but I also see a lot of "Emperor's New Clothes" here
And they won't have a Defense holding teams to 20 and under this year
And I admit the Defense was not as good as it could have been, Ramsey, Holland and X all missed a lot of games.
Cam Smith was a Top 50 pick last year, never saw the field even with injuries...terrible sign that he's a complete BUST so i'm not optimistic about the Draft

I'm JS

I believe the fins also lost their starting center and tackle. Injuries really hurt the fins down the stretch. They may still not have won on the road but once the injuries hit they didn't really have a chance. Throughout the whole season they were really banged up and it was rare for them to have their whole team healthy.

I'm JS

Philly - loss
Bills - 2 losses
Ravens - loss
KC - 2 losses

too.

KC
Cinci with Burrow at QB

So yeah "until they don't"

And as a hardcore long time Fins fan looking thru a clear lense the way this team in constructed currently knowing Chubb and Phillips won't be factors in 2024 we are most likely not winning the big games again.

We look on paper like another 8-9 win team yet again.

I want to be wrong....I will be behind the players and root for them every week but I have zero deep playoff run delusions with this team for 2024.

For the record....if we had a healthy defense, healthy Tyreek and Waddle at the end of last season we would have been the #1 seed and made a run but unfortunately it did not work out that way.

I still don't believe in Tua longterm unfortunately. But that's me.

Onto the draft.

56-19
21-14
26-7

-Those are the final 3 games of the 2023 season, all losses and clearly 2 of them fall on the Offense!
Agreed and that does fall on McDaniel and Tua, BUT, as stated above, it also falls on being healthy.

I don't care what team you have, if you lose more than 2 players at the same position you are toast.

2 years ago Miami lost their starting and backup QB (and then lost their third stringer too)

Last year we lost A starting guard, a starting center, and our LT was in and out of the lineup. (I'm being generous here as I think one O lineman played all 17 games and that was Eich)
Last year we lost 4 edge rushers. We lost both starting safeties for a time. We lost Both Corners for a while. We Lost both starting WRs for a few games. We lost RBs for a few games. on and on and on. Sure, injuries happen to all teams, but we got hurt EVERYWHERE BUT QB AND DT. Other than the Dallas game, we were simply trying to survive the injuries (we didn't).

With all that being said, we missed winning the division bc Chubb took his helmet off and X couldn't stop DeHop. Would we have won the Super Bowl last year with this mash unit? Unlikely, but you guys are playing the results here, and I've already laid out the issues Miami faces moving forward.

FWIW: I agree with you. McDaniel needs to trust his running game more. Tua needs to continue to improve (Brees had also done nothing up to this point, and yeah, I think this is when San Diego drafted rivers), and we need to retool/stock up on both lines. I do not want a WR in this draft, but will understand if Miami takes one. I want BEEF for both lines. I don't want a QB in this draft, but if one falls... I STILL WANT BEEF FOR BOTH LINES.

56-19
21-14
26-7

Agreed and that does fall on McDaniel and Tua, BUT, as stated above, it also falls on being healthy.

I don't care what team you have, if you lose more than 2 players at the same position you are toast.

2 years ago Miami lost their starting and backup QB (and then lost their third stringer too)

Last year we lost A starting guard, a starting center, and our LT was in and out of the lineup. (I'm being generous here as I think one O lineman played all 17 games and that was Eich)
Last year we lost 4 edge rushers. We lost both starting safeties for a time. We lost Both Corners for a while. We Lost both starting WRs for a few games. We lost RBs for a few games. on and on and on. Sure, injuries happen to all teams, but we got hurt EVERYWHERE BUT QB AND DT. Other than the Dallas game, we were simply trying to survive the injuries (we didn't).

With all that being said, we missed winning the division bc Chubb took his helmet off and X couldn't stop DeHop. Would we have won the Super Bowl last year with this mash unit? Unlikely, but you guys are playing the results here, and I've already laid out the issues Miami faces moving forward.

FWIW: I agree with you. McDaniel needs to trust his running game more. Tua needs to continue to improve (Brees had also done nothing up to this point, and yeah, I think this is when San Diego drafted rivers), and we need to retool/stock up on both lines. I do not want a WR in this draft, but will understand if Miami takes one. I want BEEF for both lines. I don't want a QB in this draft, but if one falls... I STILL WANT BEEF FOR BOTH LINES.
The Chargers drafted Rivers well before Brees showed any signs of being a quality QB, he was a bottom 5 starting QB in 2003, thoroughly outplayed by 41 year old backup Doug Flutie. Tua is a TON better than Brees was pre-2004. The Chargers had earned the #1 pick due to being the worst team in the NFL, not a back-to-back playoff team like Miami. It was only after Rivers was drafted (and the discovery/breakout of Gates) that the Chargers (and Brees) started playing well. A more accurate comparison would be if say, the Bears had kept Fields and drafted a QB at #1, but then Fields played his butt off and never lost the job.

Miami's 2 biggest problems were tackling and coverage in my opinion. I think they've upgraded coverage at least, and tackling is a maybe. There is a lot riding on Phillips/Chubb/Barrett as the pass rush, but that could be fine by late in the season, though the first few weeks could be just Barrett.

I also think there is an overemphasis on the last 3 games. KC and Baltimore were arguably the 2 best teams in the NFL. The Buffalo game could have gone either way, it was decided by a 96 yard punt return. Miami played 3 bad games all season in my opinion, the 1st Bills game, the Ravens game, and the playoff KC game.

Dolphins taking note of what Dallas just told Dak?

God I hope so.
My comments for DAL are the same. If they want to get rid of Dak they need to find another QB as good as Dak. Yes he demands a lot of money but these type of QBs just don't grow on trees. It isn't easy to just go out and find a QB better than Dak or Tua....

I hear what everyone is saying but whats the plan? Where are these "elite" or top 5-7 QBs going to come from? Especially if you can't or won't pay them.

God I hope so.
My comments for DAL are the same. If they want to get rid of Dak they need to find another QB as good as Dak. Yes he demands a lot of money but these type of QBs just don't grow on trees. It isn't easy to just go out and find a QB better than Dak or Tua....

I hear what everyone is saying but whats the plan? Where are these "elite" or top 5-7 QBs going to come from? Especially if you can't or won't pay them.
There is a big difference IMHO
Dak got a big extension at the time when he signed his 2n contract after his rookie deal, off the top of my head...4 yrs/$150M? Was a lot of money when he signed it.
Now guys are getting $250M over 5 yrs, the numbers are getting ridiculous and unless you have Mahomes, you need to have decent players at the skill positions.

I understand where Nate is coming from

God I hope so.

You don't tie up money and you keep drafting till you hit.

God I hope so.

I hear what you are saying but, the trouble is, unless you suck (top 5-8 pick) you aren't getting a top QB prospect. Now, maybe you get lucky and hit on a Hurts, Lamar, WIlson (early in his career) or get a guy later like Love but you have to let them sit and grow and weather the bumps along the way. I think some people are too impatient these days and push the QBs to start too early.

If it was so easy to get a QB everyone would have one. Look at the total mess of QBs last year, especially with the injuries. It gets more difficult when you finally have a solid team and hope to make a run. I'm not so sure it should all land on the shoulders of the QB though when things get tough. There are very few QBs (3?) who can literally put a team on their back and carry them to wins in the playoffs. Is Tua a top QB that can carry a team on his back? No, but I don't think he should get blamed for a team that goes down due to injuries on both sides of the ball either.

Either MIA just keeps rolling with Tua and continue to build the team around him or they need to do another overhaul/rebuild to get a top pick and that isn't happening right now with the talent they have. So again, drafting QBs over and over with mid to late picks isn't going to be successful in the long run unless they get lucky.

Some of the latest mocks have 4 QBs going in the top 5-8 picks depending who you listen to. Does it make sense for Mia to draft Nix or Penix at 21 and pass up some other elite talent in the draft? This first round of the NFL draft has a TON of talent but a QB at 21is risky and Nix and Penix won't be there at 55.

Everyone wants to move on from Tua but there isn't an option right now. I still believe he gives MIA the best chance to win but we can suffer significant injuries going into the playoffs. A better QB isn't winning us more games last year with what we had going on.

God I hope so.

I hear what you are saying but, the trouble is, unless you suck (top 5-8 pick) you aren't getting a top QB prospect. Now, maybe you get lucky and hit on a Hurts, Lamar, WIlson (early in his career) or get a guy later like Love but you have to let them sit and grow and weather the bumps along the way. I think some people are too impatient these days and push the QBs to start too early.

If it was so easy to get a QB everyone would have one. Look at the total mess of QBs last year, especially with the injuries. It gets more difficult when you finally have a solid team and hope to make a run. I'm not so sure it should all land on the shoulders of the QB though when things get tough. There are very few QBs (3?) who can literally put a team on their back and carry them to wins in the playoffs. Is Tua a top QB that can carry a team on his back? No, but I don't think he should get blamed for a team that goes down due to injuries on both sides of the ball either.

Either MIA just keeps rolling with Tua and continue to build the team around him or they need to do another overhaul/rebuild to get a top pick and that isn't happening right now with the talent they have. So again, drafting QBs over and over with mid to late picks isn't going to be successful in the long run unless they get lucky.

Some of the latest mocks have 4 QBs going in the top 5-8 picks depending who you listen to. Does it make sense for Mia to draft Nix or Penix at 21 and pass up some other elite talent in the draft? This first round of the NFL draft has a TON of talent but a QB at 21is risky and Nix and Penix won't be there at 55.

Everyone wants to move on from Tua but there isn't an option right now. I still believe he gives MIA the best chance to win but we can suffer significant injuries going into the playoffs. A better QB isn't winning us more games last year with what we had going on.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. It is easy to say move on but we all know any fanbase would erupt if you jettisoned a QB who got you to the playoffs and had the team playing exciting football a good part of the year so you can draft Bo Nix and go 6-11 the next two season.

God I hope so.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. It is easy to say move on but we all know any fanbase would erupt if you jettisoned a QB who got you to the playoffs and had the team playing exciting football a good part of the year so you can draft Bo Nix and go 6-11 the next two season.
Ok...that’s your opinion......mine is let this guy walk or we will regret it.

Todem - like I mentioned before, this team isn't in the rebuild mode, they want to win now. Tua is the best QB at this point unless you can figure out a trade that works logistically for both teams. You can't just say "get rid of him" without a plan. What is your plan? Tua gives them a chance to win now.

They also don't have a draft pick to get a top QB unless they decide Penix is the guy - a QB I am actually higher on than a lot in the dynasty world.

Right now Tua is better than any QB available to them at pick 21.

Todem - like I mentioned before, this team isn't in the rebuild mode, they want to win now. Tua is the best QB at this point unless you can figure out a trade that works logistically for both teams. You can't just say "get rid of him" without a plan. What is your plan? Tua gives them a chance to win now.

They also don't have a draft pick to get a top QB unless they decide Penix is the guy - a QB I am actually higher on than a lot in the dynasty world.

Right now Tua is better than any QB available to them at pick 21.

I really think you guys are going to be in for shock this upcoming season. Unless we have a really outstanding draft.....we have serious holes on both sides of the trenches.

8-9 win season. Best case scenario IMO. Our defense is in a heap of trouble on the LOS and so is our OL.

I really hope we take a top line Center in round 1 if it is there for the taking.

Connor Williams coming off an ACL......brutal.

It will be an interesting draft. Hoping for the best. But not getting my expectations up.

2023 was the year.....and unfortunately it all fell apart.

I like Penix too. If he is there....grab him.

It’s not so much about this years draft for a QB.....it’s in the coming years. Tua has a 5th year option.....let him play on it. If he holds out.....good luck.

I am saying....hold you’re ground in the front office and go in a new direction in 2025 and beyond. McDaniel would do wonders with a better all around talent than the highly limited Tua.

I commend Tua’s work ethic, and character.....great kid.

A limited average NFL QB and that was highly exposed when Tyreek was hurt.

My plan is do not pay for Tua......admit you made a mistake and move on. And yeah that means losing again for a year or two....maybe three....it all depends on hitting on an elite talent at the QB position. Yeah there are no guarantees......but I am 100% convinced without any doubt we are not winning a title or going deep into the post season with Tua at QB.

Again.....my opinion.

And for the record.....if I am all wrong on this....I will be the first guy in here saying it and believe me.....I would love to be wrong. I love my Dolphins.

Last edited:
So what do we think now? The Bills are resetting as well.

My opinion pre-draft:

Best QB in the division is still Allen, then Tua, then Rodgers (these can flip based on how this shakes out), then whatever starts for the Pats
Best Running back: Breece Hall, then Achane and the Miami Crew, then Cook (and I think the Bills O is going to change a bit)
Best WRs: Phins without a doubt
Best TE: Kincaid, then likely J SMith
O line: they are all mediocre. Draft and post draft should be telling here.

Best offense: Miami and the Bills with the Jets next. Any Team w Allen on it has the ability to be dynamic. Does Tua take the next step?

Defense: Bills and Phins lost a lot of good players. Not sure if the Bills are going to be as good. Miami, I think, will tread water a little and this is all based on improving the LBs, pretty much unchanged in the secondary, and weaker up front at least through week 6 or so. That kind of leaves the Jets as the best here, but I think Saleh is going to lose the team.

Coaching: McDaniel, to me, is the class of this division. That being said, I think they all have their flaws. I think McDermott and Saleh are more on the hot seat than McDaniel. I know some here question him, but a lot of guys came to Miami this year (for less money) BECAUSE of the coach. That is some special sauce right there.

Personally what I think is happening in Buffalo is the Bills have cap issues and they can't beat the Chiefs, so they are going to take their lumps this year and try to retool a year from now knowing that the #1 seed is likely not going to come from the AFCE so all they have to do is make the playoffs and then hope for the best.

The AFC Championship is going to go through KC or Houston most likely, with the Browns as the drak horse bc of their D.

So what do we think now? The Bills are resetting as well.

My opinion pre-draft:

Best QB in the division is still Allen, then Tua, then Rodgers (these can flip based on how this shakes out), then whatever starts for the Pats
Best Running back: Breece Hall, then Achane and the Miami Crew, then Cook (and I think the Bills O is going to change a bit)
Best WRs: Phins without a doubt
Best TE: Kincaid, then likely J SMith
O line: they are all mediocre. Draft and post draft should be telling here.

Best offense: Miami and the Bills with the Jets next. Any Team w Allen on it has the ability to be dynamic. Does Tua take the next step?

Defense: Bills and Phins lost a lot of good players. Not sure if the Bills are going to be as good. Miami, I think, will tread water a little and this is all based on improving the LBs, pretty much unchanged in the secondary, and weaker up front at least through week 6 or so. That kind of leaves the Jets as the best here, but I think Saleh is going to lose the team.

Coaching: McDaniel, to me, is the class of this division. That being said, I think they all have their flaws. I think McDermott and Saleh are more on the hot seat than McDaniel. I know some here question him, but a lot of guys came to Miami this year (for less money) BECAUSE of the coach. That is some special sauce right there.

Personally what I think is happening in Buffalo is the Bills have cap issues and they can't beat the Chiefs, so they are going to take their lumps this year and try to retool a year from now knowing that the #1 seed is likely not going to come from the AFCE so all they have to do is make the playoffs and then hope for the best.

The AFC Championship is going to go through KC or Houston most likely, with the Browns as the drak horse bc of their D.
Good post, we have a difference of opinion on head coach...I'll take McDermott and 11 Playoff games, 5-6 overall but he's played in an AFCC and won in the post season
You cannot put McDaniel ahead of him IMHO but be my guest

You hit on some great points, I'm starting to re-evaluate guys like Fuller to lock down across from Ramsey with Holland roaming around at Safety, there are things to like.
They still need a lot of help in that front 7 and that LB they signed from Seattle is not spoken of very highly by several media outlets. Sounds like Baker shoulda been kept
Miami signed Poyer as well, despite his age, dirt cheap and a steal whatever they can squeeze out of him.

21 and 55 needs to shuffle more to like 31-55-70 or something similar, Miami needs more picks right now to retool both sides of the line and some help at Edge until they recover.

21 and 55 needs to shuffle more to like 31-55-70 or something similar, Miami needs more picks right now to retool both sides of the line and some help at Edge until they recover.
The draft should be very interesting. I'd love to see a team rush up to get one of the QBs that fall or a WR they really like and have Miami Keep a first rounder and get another pick, but I also see guys like Latham, Powers-johnson, and Barton being "set and forget" players along the o line. The Bills are now pretty much comitted to taking a WR, no?

I don't love the edge rushers in the first round, and I'm lukewarm about the DT position. We need to be able to run when we want to.

You'd love to see a team panic on Pennix or someone like him and want to deal with Miami. Still, knowing Grier, we are more likely to trade down from round 2 than round one.

Good post, we have a difference of opinion on head coach...I'll take McDermott and 11 Playoff games, 5-6 overall but he's played in an AFCC and won in the post season
You cannot put McDaniel ahead of him IMHO but be my guest
He's got Josh Allen and that team underachieves pretty much every year. He's going through OC's as scapegoats. He's on the hot seat for sure.
Saleh has the whole: Lost the locker room, is A-Arons ***** so what happens if it all implodes again?

No way I trade McDermott for McDaniel unless it included allen and tua in the deal.

The draft should be very interesting. I'd love to see a team rush up to get one of the QBs that fall or a WR they really like and have Miami Keep a first rounder and get another pick, but I also see guys like Latham, Powers-johnson, and Barton being "set and forget" players along the o line. The Bills are now pretty much comitted to taking a WR, no?

I don't love the edge rushers in the first round, and I'm lukewarm about the DT position. We need to be able to run when we want to.

You'd love to see a team panic on Pennix or someone like him and want to deal with Miami. Still, knowing Grier, we are more likely to trade down from round 2 than round one.
to MOP and Gator - I would love if Miami can find a buyer at 21 and split that into an extra 2nd round pick that would be fantastic. Maybe a team in the early 2nd who passed on a QB needs to move up to get a guy like Penix at 21 and then can give us a good 2025 pick with their early 2nd. I know MIA never looks to add additional future picks but it help builds the future.

Ideally we can get an extra pick/player that can help us now in 2024 but don't be shy in picking up an early 2025 pick if that is on the table. We need to start building for the future. Our key vets aren't getting any younger (Ramsey/Hill etc). They really need to win now with those guys which causes a bit of a problem.

Dolphins continue to spend money wisely getting a DT that a lot of teams like. I think they are narrowing in on the line or a trade down with the first pick.

While I do not think the Dolphins are the type of team to do this, their current needs (Edge/OG) are available on the waiver wire. While I do not think they "skip" this draft, with the two extra thirds in 2025 and a full complement of picks, they could look to add more picks in 2025 to get "cheaper" with the new Tua contract.

Hill / Chubb / Ramsey /Armstead are the big ticket guys right now, but Holland, Waddle, Phillips are on the horizon, So between this draft and next years' LT, WR, Edge, and CB will be the priorities. I'll add a center to that mix. I'm hoping that Grier and Co have their sights not just on this year but next year as well. Reason I say this is IF miami takes a WR in the first round as this is an excellent class, don't be super surprised. I prefer a trade down, then a IOL that can move to tackle, followed now by the Hill replacement.

Now, the 9er way is to get a guy later with all the tools and coach them up, so I doubt we really do this round one, but I think a WR gets drafted if OBJ doesn't come to Miami before the draft.

to MOP and Gator - I would love if Miami can find a buyer at 21 and split that into an extra 2nd round pick that would be fantastic. Maybe a team in the early 2nd who passed on a QB needs to move up to get a guy like Penix at 21 and then can give us a good 2025 pick with their early 2nd. I know MIA never looks to add additional future picks but it help builds the future.
In the Mock Draft thread, @Ministry of Pain my co-GM and I traded down with ARI from 1.21 to 2.03, picking up 3.02, which gave us a run stopping DT, although WR was in play. A wash per the draft trade chart, although losing a 5th year option on a 1st round pick makes it a net loss. A better trade would've been the MIA 1.21 for the ARI 1.27 and 3.26. Do we trade with KC and BUF who may target WRs but are our competition. Maybe a team that wants QB. Grier could be busy. Picking up an extra pick this year or next... TBD. Grier's tradeups, aside from X, haven't been justified.

The reason we traded down is that our target guys were gone, Byron Murphy & Troy Fontanu. We can almost suredly get one of JPJ or Barton. I see Barton rising due to versatility, so do we draft a huge strong center in the first round? I think DT Newton is worthy of a 1st round pick at 1.21.

There's chatter of Miami selecting a WR at 1.21, per Barry Jackson. Have they fallen in love with Brian Thomas who is somewhere between MVS and Randy Moss?

In the Mock Draft thread, @Ministry of Pain my co-GM and I traded down with ARI from 1.21 to 2.03, picking up 3.02, which gave us a run stopping DT, although WR was in play. A wash per the draft trade chart, although losing a 5th year option on a 1st round pick makes it a net loss. A better trade would've been the MIA 1.21 for the ARI 1.27 and 3.26. Do we trade with KC and BUF who may target WRs but are our competition. Maybe a team that wants QB. Grier could be busy. Picking up an extra pick this year or next... TBD. Grier's tradeups, aside from X, haven't been justified.

The reason we traded down is that our target guys were gone, Byron Murphy & Troy Fontanu. We can almost suredly get one of JPJ or Barton. I see Barton rising due to versatility, so do we draft a huge strong center in the first round? I think DT Newton is worthy of a 1st round pick at 1.21.

There's chatter of Miami selecting a WR at 1.21, per Barry Jackson. Have they fallen in love with Brian Thomas who is somewhere between MVS and Randy Moss?
I'll go over a short list of players I would like to see in a Miami uniform at some point Day 1 or Day 2

DL/DT- Murphy and Newton are the Top 2 names you see and I prefer Murphy as I think he has a higher ceiling in the NFL, prefer him over Newton. A couple other names that you can draft in the 2nd Rd somewhere are Fiske from FSU and I like Kris Jenkins quite a bit from Michigan, he might fit perfect at 55 assuming he's still on the board. Because I like Prospect 3 and 4 quite a lot, I would probably pass on DT in Round 1 unless Murphy is there at 21, the Rams just had the greatest DT of all time retire, they sit at 19 and would be eager to have a guy like Murphy to come in and start for them.

-Miami has to address this position sooner or later, they lost Wilkins and Davis this off season. They signed Teair Tart recently, played on Tennessee and Houston last year, rated 85th out of 130 PFF rated IDL, he's just an average NFL Pro

OL/IOL- I didn't see it posted but Miami did re-sign Kendall Lamm at Tackle to a 1-yr deal and Lamm has indicated this will be his last season in the NFL. With Lamm back for another season, suddenly doesn't feel like Miami needs to be hunting at Tackle. That said, we did like Graham Barton from Duke and is likely to be on the board in the late 1st, Miami could slide back to get him. This Draft is loaded with OL and it would be a shame if Miami didn't get 1 good prospect out of the bunch.

JPJ from Oregon is slated for Center but he could also play RG for Miami. As most know, Miami has signed Aaron Brewer to a 3 yr deal, it looks like he will play Center but you never know, he's logged a lot of time at LG/RG, he doesn't have to start at Center is what I'm saying, there is some flexibility with him, and that's also why Barton is possible and start inside at Guard until Miami needs him at Left Tackle to replace Armstead.

-Not only did Miami sign Lamm but they also have Wynn coming back at LG, Jones was re-signed to compete at LG/RG along with Liam entering Year 4 of his rookie deal and no extension likely so he's playing for a possible audition Team 2. I say all that because it's not quite as dire as some might think along the OL except they do need 1 more strong starter at either RG or LG, nothing is guaranteed right now except Brewer is going to be either Center or RG, likely Center and don't forget Connor Williams is walking the streets right now. I still think he could be a part of this football team and slide Brewer to one of the 2 Guard spots. These are just my thoughts, and Miami can easily find an OL to draft in the 1st or 2nd round.

-Kiran Amegadjie is a Tackle prospect from Yale, late 2nd/early 3rd. You gotta do something special to get noticed on the OL at Yale. I wouldn't mind if Miami were to slide back and pick up other names I like and then with an extra pick, maybe grab this guy along the way.

Those are Miami's most pressing needs, can't see WR with Hill-Waddle-Cracraft and Berrios all brought back, still have that WR prospect EzE or whatever entering Year 3.

-Other names that would be outstanding on Draft night even if it feels like we don't have a pressing need...

Cooper DeJean- CB/Safety, this guy was a lockdown for Iowa until he broke his leg this past November, he's already cleared to play, 3 pick-6s his Junior season, outstanding prospect, doubt Miami will be in a position to take him.

-Miami still has Cam they drafted in the 2nd last season and did nothing with him so i doubt that the Phins are looking at DB in the 1st round.
I would also like to say this Fuller guy we brought in is pretty good and it's not likely anyone is gonna start ahead of him and Ramsey right now.
And on that note, Poyer was a steal but he's old and fighting injuries of late, DeJean could unseat him and he's only on a 1 year deal. Still a sood signing for Miami

The Dolphins have Kohou, Needham and Cam Smith all behind Ramsey, Fuller, Holland and Jordan Poyer
I could argue the secondary is better already in 2024 assuming everyone is healthy

Payton Wilson- LB/Edge NC State...Miami would be oh so lucky if he ended up in a Phins jersey. This guy can do it all and he's projected late 1st Round.
He would easily fill the AVG role and is a total Swiss-Army Knife on defense. Miami has a lot of injuries at their starting Edge spots and people think Shaq still has gas left, I do not.
And I hate to be the wet rag here but Phillips may never be the same after the achilles tear
Chubb suffers another injury, not the 1st time he is recovering from a significant one in his career, I don't trust him at this point.
Payton Wilson can unseat one of them or make one expendable and since this team seems incapable of extending their really good players, might want to consider this guy.
And FTR, i prefer Wilson over gambling at Edge with guys like Dallas Turner, etc...none of the Top 3 picks at Edge seem like sure fire hits to me.
I prefer a guy like Wilson that can do many things besides just rush the QB in our Front 6-7 on Defense.

Wilson-OLB/Kris Jenkins-DT, sign me up if Miami could swing that combo to replenish their Defense.
Miami holds 21 and 55, seems like we had no issues turning 2 picks into 3 picks and possibly even 4 picks inside the Top 100
Despite Miami failing to produce from any one they drafted in 2022 and 2023, part of those picks they parted with brought back Hill and Ramsey
If Miami were to draft an Offensive Tackle, there's no snaps coming behind Austin Jackson and Armstead until one of them is down, even then Lamm was re-signed.
Miami might have 1 opening spot right now at RG, you have to believe Jones and Wynn will settle the LG spot in camp.

Just some follow up to what you all were discussing.

Last edited:

I like the idea of trading back but not too far. Ideally like you said to get 1.27 from Arizona and pick up an extra third. Not sure if ARI would but that would be fantastic.

Maybe a QB needy team trades up who doesn't take one early or a team sees a WR slip they really like and move up a few spots with MIA. Here is hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread