What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: looking for CB and D-line depth in Day 3 (14 Viewers)

:popcorn:
Wouldn't that be a hoot.
I think it's completely on the table right now
-One thing though, seems like Pickett was told he would start on the bench, Pickett balked and now he rides the bench in Philly
Fields obviously agreed to be the "back up" but I also think Steelers had no idea they were getting Fields when they signed Russ
I don't share the hate for Tomlin that many Pittsburgh fans have towards him, mostly the 8 year Playoff drought or lack of post season wins has a lot to do with it.
That said, I think Tomlin is smart enough that if Fields gives them the best chance to win, by gawd he will start Justin Fields and they have very little committed to Russ right now.
I also think Russ has a decent chance to keep the starting spot, much better team around him in Pittsburgh.
I DO NOT LIKE the OC-Smith, that sorta makes me understand the Steelers fan base, he's mostly a run guy and he didn't do well in Atlanta.
Why did Tomlin agree to hire him?

I think Fields has a shot to unseat Russ in training camp and if that happens, the Steelers will simply release Russ, they have almost nothing invested in him.
And Russ will still collect a check from Denver so nobody is gonna feel sorry for him.

Geezuz H....the NY Post? What's The Enquirer have to say about it? :bored:

Coach T loves him his "dinosaur ball." In my estimation, though he'll never admit it, he also may care as much/more about making sure he maintains his winning season streak as he does about winning in the playoffs, but that's baseless speculation on my part.

Art Rooney II has openly stated how impatient/unhappy he is with the playoff drought in Pittsburgh. He didn't, and won't, be calling out Tomlin specifically, buuuut....he's where the buck stops. Love it or hate it (and I do hate it), Smith's offense and Russ (or just about anyone not named Pickett/Trubisky/Rudolph) playing QB, with the Steelers current defense and running back room when healthy, probably give them a better shot and banking a playoff berth and perhaps a WC win.

"What can get me at least a WC win this year that's currently available and doesn't require I blow up my roster totally?" That's where I think Tomlin's head is at, and what likely produced the hire of Smith.

Last edited:
The whole contingent is in Michigan today. Don't think anyone there is a real candidate for a first round pick for us. Weird.

There are 6 other rounds. :poop:

You never know who winds up dropping, I guess. There are also 3-4 guys with round 2 grades they might like that could be available.

:popcorn:
Wouldn't that be a hoot.
I think it's completely on the table right now
-One thing though, seems like Pickett was told he would start on the bench, Pickett balked and now he rides the bench in Philly
Fields obviously agreed to be the "back up" but I also think Steelers had no idea they were getting Fields when they signed Russ
I don't share the hate for Tomlin that many Pittsburgh fans have towards him, mostly the 8 year Playoff drought or lack of post season wins has a lot to do with it.
That said, I think Tomlin is smart enough that if Fields gives them the best chance to win, by gawd he will start Justin Fields and they have very little committed to Russ right now.
I also think Russ has a decent chance to keep the starting spot, much better team around him in Pittsburgh.
I DO NOT LIKE the OC-Smith, that sorta makes me understand the Steelers fan base, he's mostly a run guy and he didn't do well in Atlanta.

I think Fields has a shot to unseat Russ in training camp and if that happens, the Steelers will simply release Russ, they have almost nothing invested in him.
And Russ will still collect a check from Denver so nobody is gonna feel sorry for him.
What is gained by cutting Wilson? The Steelers have almost nothing in Fields either so if they are just going to cut the guy who's not starting why not him?

Some people in the media, Shefter and Rapaport among them, have lost any trust from me over their reporting on anything related to Fields, directly or otherwise. It's obvious both have been getting used as mouthpieces by the Bears or Fields agents. This is how they get their "scoops". And last thing I'll say is the Fields agents is huge in the industry, David Mulugheta. Wilson's agent on the other hand I believe has one NFL client, Wilson. I think he does some MLB players.

This stuff is a lot of false nonsense.

Geezuz H....the NY Post? What's The Enquirer have to say about it? :bored:

Coach T loves him his "dinosaur ball." In my estimation, though he'll never admit it, he also may care as much/more about making sure he maintains his winning season streak as he does about winning in the playoffs, but that's baseless speculation on my part.

Art Rooney II has openly stated how impatient/unhappy he is with the playoff drought in Pittsburgh. He didn't, and won't, be calling out Tomlin specifically, buuuut....he's where the buck stops. Love it or hate it (and I do hate it), Smith's offense and Russ (or just about anyone not named Pickett/Trubisky/Rudolph) playing QB, with the Steelers current defense and running back room when healthy, probably give them a better shot and banking a playoff berth and perhaps a WC win.

"What can get me at least a WC win this year that's currently available and doesn't require I blow up my roster totally?" That's where I think Tomlin's head is at, and what likely produced the hire of Smith.

There's plenty of other sites but I'm just linking news, didn't know the Post was bad
🤷‍♂️

-I appreciate your info on Coach-T
I'd like to hear your opinion on the OC-Arthur Smith, I missed this hire until after some of these others joined the team...it made me temper expectations a little, not sure how you all feel but you use the word "dinosaur ball", think we might see this similar.

The whole contingent is in Michigan today. Don't think anyone there is a real candidate for a first round pick for us. Weird.

You never know who winds up dropping, I guess. There are also 3-4 guys with round 2 grades they might like that could be available.
Of course, but typically the full contingent is meant for the 1st rounders as they haven't drafted anyone in the 1st where Tomlin and GM were not one or both in attendance of the pro day.

What is gained by cutting Wilson? The Steelers have almost nothing in Fields either so if they are just going to cut the guy who's not starting why not him?

Nothing. Exactly. It's nonsensical that they'd cut either of them given current costs if it's just a "Guy A beats out Guy B" situation. Russ isn't getting cut unless he completely "Let's Rides!!" the locker room if Fields were to beat him out. I do not think that is very likely to happen. Too many long-time vets that wouldn't allow it to happen. Fields isn't getting cut period, IMO. They dealt draft capital (even as low as it was), and will most likely be extending/paying him soon (plus Coach T has those well documented pants feelings for him).

Russ is wired different, no question, but he's not an idiot. Reportedly, one of the first things he did after he got signed? Dinner with Cam Heyward, Connor Heyward, Pat Freiermuth, James Harrison, & Charlie Batch. Wilson seems to know the score in Pittsburgh. This ain't Denver and Mike Tomlin ain't Nathaniel Hackett.

Of course, but typically the full contingent is meant for the 1st rounders as they haven't drafted anyone in the 1st where Tomlin and GM were not one or both in attendance of the pro day.
<shrug> Maybe they're gonna overdraft Roman Wilson? :shades:

Or draft McCarthy....which will make me burn the whole city of Pittsburgh to the ground.:ROFLMAO:

Round 2 could be steelers first draft pick if we trade for Aiyuk or JJ. Otherwise, yeah, i agree there are guys Omar and Mike want a better look at.

Round 2 could be steelers first draft pick if we trade for Aiyuk or JJ. Otherwise, yeah, i agree there are guys Omar and Mike want a better look at.
That is a good point.

will most likely be extending/paying him soon (plus Coach T has those well documented pants feelings for him).
I'm far less certain an extension is coming soon for Fields. I'd like to see it, just not so certain.

Did you see Tomlin's beaming face at Wilson's press conference? I'd argue he's got as much or more affinity for him. Heard some guys on NFLN talk a few weeks ago how they got this shared bond from both growing up in Virginia.

Anyway none of that "story" about cutting Wilson makes any sense if anyone looks at it logically, easy to see someone is pushing an agenda. Just to recap:

Sunday-Sign Wilson. Inform Kenny he'll get to compete but will enter as the #2. Fields available, multiple credible reports that Steelers are not making offers for him.

Friday- Pickett traded, ostensibly because of where he felt in relation to Wilson on the depth chart.

Saturday-trade a 6th for Fields now that they have an opening.

Monday-Even though the Steelers could have just traded for Fields before signing Wilson, now that they got him for close to nothing they are ready to move on from the guy they signed abotu a week ago that led to them telling KP something that made him run for the hills. But now they got Fields so time to move on.

None of that makes any sense.

These talking heads trying to create drama for clicks... i've stopped clicking. Speculation of moving on from Russ before the NFL draft or training camp is absurd. If the Steelers wanted Fields that bad, wouldn't have risked another team trading for him while playing lowball game of chicken with Chicago. Fields probably wouldn't be on the roster if Kenny hadn't pushed for a trade out of town.

QB take, I believe what the FO is telling us at face value. Russ is QB1 for the Steelers and Justin Fields is the backup. Stepping back, this makes a ton of logical sense. Russ is a good veteran Super Bowl winning QB. He should pick up the new offense quickly and has shown he can be VERY effective commanding a run heavy system. He is capable of leading the offense and win playoff games. Russ is ready to be trusted with the car keys and see how far we can go.

Justin Fields NFL career has been trying to put the Bears on his back and win games all by himself. Steelers making him QB #2 gives Fields an opportunity to learn a new system without being thrown in the fire expected to be the hero day 1. Take the pressure off and embrace the culture here. Warren, Najee, Pickens, Muth and Aiyuk (dreaming) are playmakers. Learn behind a SB winning QB how to make these guys look good and there will be plenty of opportunities to mix in Lamar type runs by design or when plays break down. If Fields gets a shot down the line, he should be more confident in his team and stop trying to do too much.

Did you see Tomlin's beaming face at Wilson's press conference? I'd argue he's got as much or more affinity for him.

That may well be true. There is a lot about Wilson's game (even as the quarterback he is now) that probably also gives Coach T "pants feelings."

He can keep the particular brand of "Artie Smith" football they will be running on schedule, he still does a decent job taking care of the football, and he has plenty of experience leading a huddle. Like, actually leading. Not just being the guy in the huddle with the radio in his ear.

I'm quite sure all of that was quite attractive to a coach like Tomlin, regardless of what the results turn out to be.

After all the moves and wheeling and dealing by Khan the last few days are feeling like we've gone back to Colbert.

Would rather they take their time then rush into deals.
I don't think there's been any rush into deals really. Though I do feel they could have been a little more aggressive in their center pursuit. I just hope their "patience" points to Connor Williams and he comes on an incentive based (games played) contract.

It feels like every time we have started to feel impatient about moves, the right moves have been made. Kahn seems to be on his game and doing a great job of playing the market and getting good value. There has to be a WR or C move about to happen that will be the best bang for the buck, or they are confident in their draft position and evaluation to fill those holes.

And with that seems like Tyler Boyd to the Steelers likely won’t happen.

Not that TB is great but is better than what they have.
Quez Watkins and Van Jefferson feel more like Miles Boykin's replacement. New WR4/5 plus special teams, not a new WR3 (which is what Boyd would be).

Also, I'm equally excited for Denzel Mims than either of these signings. He hasn't done much in the league but he was also a 2nd round pick once upon a time.

Seeing Lolley reporting that Omar was stating at the owner's meetings that "trading for a Center is something they may explore." No names mentioned from him (or Lolley) of course.

Scuttlebutt from other psuedo-reporters/talking heads around innerwebz about who some of those trade targets could be though, but it's all baseless speculation by some jabronis at this point so I'm not re-posting any of it.

Users who are viewing this thread