What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

21 unwritten rules of Air Travel (per Thrillist) (1 Viewer)

Southwest had a glitch this past weekend and a-list members didnt get priority check in. Thought it was pretty cool they sent an apology and gave me 1500 points. 

Just had a flight from Denver to Dallas on Friday morning and behind me was a young couple with their two kids.

One was a young baby.

Before takeoff...the baby started crying...not heavily at first, but definitely a warning to the parents that things were going to get crazy if they didn't do something soon.

I just crammed my earphones deeper into my brain and turned up the volume because I knew what was to come.

I feel my seat shake and get bumped repeatedly by the dad trying to rock the baby...I just ignore it.

The dad walks up to the first class flight attendant who is now strapped in her rumble seat.

I see her say, "Sorry...we're taking off."

He goes back to his seat empty handed.

We takeoff and I can still hear the baby over the higher volume in my earphones...but I just focused on what I was watching on my screen.

After a good solid 40 minutes of this continued...nonstop crying...I can see people around me start to get irritated.

I can hear someone behind me in the other aisle talking in the direction of the parents...so I take out one earphone.

The screaming is shrill and quite unbelievable and I hear someone say:

"What do you mean you don't have a pacifier?!"

"I'm sorry, we just don't have one."

"WHAT THE HELL...WHO HAS A BABY, BUT NO DAMNED PACIFIER?!"

I immediately stick my earphone back in and just dive back into my movie.

The flight attendant finally comes to his aid with milk she's warmed up with hot water from the coffee maker.

After a few minutes, the baby finally relaxes as well as everyone else around me.

I shudder to think what would've happened had that continued for another hour.

Flew JFK to Stockholm yesterday. It's time to pull back from the gate and the two seats next to me were empty. I think it's odd, because the airline would have bumped two people up if these were no shows. Ten minutes after we're supposed to depart an old Greek couple is husbanded on the plane by a gate attendant. They were sitting in the lounge and thought someone would personally come and get them when it was time to get on the plane. (Which, I guess they were right about.) Delayed 30 minutes getting out of the gate, delayed another 30 minutes in the JFK takeoff queue. 16 people ended up missing a connecting flight to Barcelona and several people had to try to connect through Oslo to get to Rome.

#1 Rule should be, Don't be such a jagoff you delay the plane.

Don't delay the plane for jagoffs.
Unfortunately we are our own worst enemy with this one. If they acted swiftly and left some stupid schmuck behind that guy would complain on facebook. People would automatically believe him, well because corporations bad, and then the airline would pay him money and it would be more expensive for all of us. 

You have two groups to overcome. The i believe everything on the internet crowd and the corporations are always wrong and just want to steal our money crowd.

Unfortunately we are our own worst enemy with this one. If they acted swiftly and left some stupid schmuck behind that guy would complain on facebook. People would automatically believe him, well because corporations bad, and then the airline would pay him money and it would be more expensive for all of us. 

You have two groups to overcome. The i believe everything on the internet crowd and the corporations are always wrong and just want to steal our money crowd.
So nobody misses flights anymore?

I don't think the airlines pay money to everyone who misses a flight through no fault of the airline's.  It's more when they engineer the physical assault and battery of passengers that money comes into it. 

I don't think the airlines pay money to everyone who misses a flight through no fault of the airline's.  It's more when they engineer the physical assault and battery of passengers that money comes into it. 
Everybody that takes it to social media sure seems to get paid or at the very least refunded. All it would take for that old couple to create a social media firestorm would be for them (or their son/daughter) to go on facebook and say that an employee told them to wait in the lounge. Then people would blast the airline for leaving an old couple stranded away from their home. Probably a smart move on their part to find the old people. 

Everybody that takes it to social media sure seems to get paid or at the very least refunded. All it would take for that old couple to create a social media firestorm would be for them (or their son/daughter) to go on facebook and say that an employee told them to wait in the lounge. Then people would blast the airline for leaving an old couple stranded away from their home. Probably a smart move on their part to find the old people. 
Yeah, that couple is pissed.  They would have hit the lottery.

I am still shocked that airlines allow dogs in the main cabin or even walking around the airport. Just saw a woman put her dog down on the ground watch it lift a leg and pee on a pillar. Then picked it back up and put it back in the stupid little carrier. 

I am still shocked that airlines allow dogs in the main cabin or even walking around the airport. Just saw a woman put her dog down on the ground watch it lift a leg and pee on a pillar. Then picked it back up and put it back in the stupid little carrier. 
we have friends who had their tiny dog legally classified as a service dog, ie they are allowed to go where ever they go.  They told explained to another friend of ours how to do it for their dog.  Basically just fill out some paperwork.  BS

I have the complete opposite opinion.  I'd probably pay extra to be able to sit next to a dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got screamed at by a guy on a plane because he wanted his dog carrier to sit a certain way that allowed it to look at him (was upgraded where the seats share this middle section of foot space). I already had a bag underneath there on my side and before I could even really say anything he started freaking the #### out. 

They took the guy off the plane because he was swearing at me and the flight attendant who came over.

Always look at the dog people on planes differently now.

Got screamed at by a guy on a plane because he wanted his dog carrier to sit a certain way that allowed it to look at him (was upgraded where the seats share this middle section of foot space). I already had a bag underneath there on my side and before I could even really say anything he started freaking the #### out. 

They took the guy off the plane because he was swearing at me and the flight attendant who came over.

for the most part, in my experience, they are very nice and try to acquiesce to those around them.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  I actually love sitting by dogs (huge dog fan here obviously) so i may be biased.  

gotta say i am the same with tequila except instead of a guy yelling at me and a stewardess it was me barfing for like three days take that to the bank brohan

"Companion Animals", not to be mistaken for service animals are universally despised by passengers and airlines alike. Essentially it's people who want to bring pets on vacation, and claim it's needed for reasons like flying anxiety. As of now I believe airlines are stuck allowing this unless a law is rewritten. Or risk some entitled ##### suing them for psycholigical harm because they couldn't hold mutley on their lap.

sbonomo said:
for the most part, in my experience, they are very nice and try to acquiesce to those around them.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  I actually love sitting by dogs (huge dog fan here obviously) so i may be biased.  
What do you love about it? They aren't allowed out of the carrier and on most airlines have to stay under the seat in front of you.

Scoresman said:
I have the complete opposite opinion.  I'd probably pay extra to be able to sit next to a dog.
I know that's right. I would pay like a $100 more. Just sit there and pet a dog for 4 hours instead of getting sneezed on by some ahole human? 

Holy #### dogs are waaaaaaaay better than humans. The only thing I would prefer a human for on a plane would be to fly the damn thing. 

we just had the airline switch our flight and seat our young kids apart from us, in spite of us previously reserving seats together. 

thankfully we didn't sit next to you.
Depends on the situation, I'm a tall guy and like to sit in the aisle because I can keep my knees there when people aren't moving around which saves me a lot of pain since otherwise they stay jammed against the seat in front of me.  If you want me to move to the middle so you can sit across the aisle from your kids I won't.  If you want me to move to another aisle seat sure.  On a shorter flight I'm okay either way and don't mind moving, but why should I limp for the next 24 hours so you can sit across the aisle from your kids?

I know that's right. I would pay like a $100 more. Just sit there and pet a dog for 4 hours instead of getting sneezed on by some ahole human? 

Holy #### dogs are waaaaaaaay better than humans. The only thing I would prefer a human for on a plane would be to fly the damn thing. 
Someone should make an airline that had dogs on each flight and guaranteed you sat next to one.  I'd seriously fly no other airline.

Depends on the situation, I'm a tall guy and like to sit in the aisle because I can keep my knees there when people aren't moving around which saves me a lot of pain since otherwise they stay jammed against the seat in front of me.  If you want me to move to the middle so you can sit across the aisle from your kids I won't.  If you want me to move to another aisle seat sure.  On a shorter flight I'm okay either way and don't mind moving, but why should I limp for the next 24 hours so you can sit across the aisle from your kids?
sorry- what are you gibbering about?

I'd rather sit next to a hot blonde with huge cans and a low cut top than a dog, but to each their own.  :shrug:

sbonomo said:
Pretty sure that guy was just a nutjob. If he would have waited 5 seconds I would have moved my bag :lol:

This sounds like a great idea til you get 34 dogs barking non stop for 4 hours. You'll be begging for fungus nail guy who snores
They would be mellow, older dogs like the ones at the shelters no one adopts. They could all be adopted by the airlines and it solves two problems!

Taking my first flight across the Pacific on Sunday (big stretch is Denver to Tokyo)...any hints on making that less ####ty? 

1. Download seasons of shows on your iPad on Netflix.  My flights over the pacific all seem to be bumpy - so for me something like the great British baking show is perfect for that flight.  Physically impossible to stay awake for an entire episode, and they keep rolling which is perfect for the half awake/ half asleep state.

2. Seat guru.com

3. As soon as you board, you're on Tokyo time.  12:35 pm Denver = 3:35 am in Tokyo.  Two choices: 1) stay awake the whole time - shouldn't be too hard given your body clock will be aligned and it's and 11.5 hr flight. Then you need to not sleep when you land until 9-10 pm, you should be fine the next day.  Or 2) I would eat lunch before boarding, then take something to sleep as soon as you climb.  If you're able to get 5-6 hrs of sleep on the front end and awake for the rest of the time, you'll be good to go.

3. As soon as you board, you're on Tokyo time.  12:35 pm Denver = 3:35 am in Tokyo.  Two choices: 1) stay awake the whole time - shouldn't be too hard given your body clock will be aligned and it's and 11.5 hr flight. Then you need to not sleep when you land until 9-10 pm, you should be fine the next day.  Or 2) I would eat lunch before boarding, then take something to sleep as soon as you climb.  If you're able to get 5-6 hrs of sleep on the front end and awake for the rest of the time, you'll be good to go.
I seriously don't see this working. It takes over a week before you body can adapt to that type of time change. It might help him power through it, but his body clock isn't going to be aligned simply because he stayed up.

I seriously don't see this working. It takes over a week before you body can adapt to that type of time change. It might help him power through it, but his body clock isn't going to be aligned simply because he stayed up.
In my experience you are incorrect. 

I just flew from SLC to Amsterdam for the first time a few weeks ago. I was fine in 2 days.

In my experience you are incorrect. 
You may be right since he is going West, assuming he gets good quality sleep:

Basic Rule of Thumb

Factor in one day of recovery for every time zone shifted. From the East Coast of the U.S. to Europe, a six-hour time difference, you can thus expect six days to recover fully, which might well be the entire length of your trip. As it is accepted that jet lag exhibits harsher symptoms during eastward travel due to lost sleep, this long recovery rate typically applies in the eastbound direction. For westbound flights, expect one day of recovery per one and a half time zones. This basic calculation might not hold true for every person in every situation, and applies to full circadian rhythm reset. Travelers typically are functional in their new time zone within one to two days with adequate rest.

You may be right since he is going West, assuming he gets good quality sleep:

Basic Rule of Thumb

Factor in one day of recovery for every time zone shifted. From the East Coast of the U.S. to Europe, a six-hour time difference, you can thus expect six days to recover fully, which might well be the entire length of your trip. As it is accepted that jet lag exhibits harsher symptoms during eastward travel due to lost sleep, this long recovery rate typically applies in the eastbound direction. For westbound flights, expect one day of recovery per one and a half time zones. This basic calculation might not hold true for every person in every situation, and applies to full circadian rhythm reset. Travelers typically are functional in their new time zone within one to two days with adequate rest.
My best adjustment heading west (nine hour difference) I pulled an all nighter the night before the flight (March Madness) and then slept 6/12 hours on the flight.  Was good to go the next day.

I sleep pretty much the whole way through every flight and then take uppers the whole time I'm at wherever I'm going. Seems to work great and I'm sure it's good for me.

Users who are viewing this thread