What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd Official Free For All Chess Tournament- Green & Gold= Champion (1 Viewer)

otello said:
Psychopav said:
otello said:
Otello: I'm "psychopav" at chess.com. I assume chesstime interfaces with chess.com?
You need to join chess time.
I have no idea what that means. I don't have an android or apple device, and my work laptop won't let me access chesstime. Did you get my challenge to play?
No, chess time is an app. I access it through my iphone.
Google says that I can't dl chess time without a mobile device. I'm open to suggestions.

Get a mobile device ?
All I have is a work blackberry.I'll try to get on my wife or daughter's ipod or iphone tonight Otello.

I'll be home tomorrow and will be able to move quickly.

Eta: I forgot my son has a tablet from which he is grounded indefinitely :excited:

Otello, I'll fire it up and dl chess time later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looms like Psychopav is getting things straightened out. Aaa Battsries, if we get another person to sign up you can play them.

As for my game, after Matsuki complained yesterday about how he hated having to wait, apparently not realizing it was his turn to move, he still has yet to move.

We will reassess by Wednesday. At that point any games which have not yet started will be cancelled and I'll reassign.

:wall:

It's been 10+ years since I played a game and it's showing.

Already starting to look into some chess strategy websites. Even when I did play, I never really developed a good sense of opening. Thanks for doing this Tim. I wanted to get in on the other thread but it moved so fast I never took the time to get involved.

What is considered a "good" rating? I'm playing a 1400 and 1493 and seem to be holding my own but I'm sure I'll screw up.
Define "good"? I don't know what the player pool is like on this website, so they could be higher or lower than an equivalent USCF rating.

A 1000 USCF rating puts you in the top 50% of all USCF tournament players. I'd consider a 1000 to be an advanced beginner. You know how the pieces move, you know some basic checkmates and tactics and you still overlook winning combinations in your game for you and your opponent. Multiple blunders are made on both sides. The winner is the one who makes the 2nd to last blunder. I'd say that real chess starts around USCF 1600 where you're in the top 15-20% of tournament players.

Speaking of 1600, here's an interesting way to put it in context. There are chess computers that you can play on servers like ICC that are programmed with no knowledge of chess strategy whatsoever and only look 2 moves ahead. So they are perfect tactically up to 2 moves, but know nothing else about chess. They don't understand good vs bad bishop. They don't think about pawn structures. They still play at least USCF 1600 strength chess.

So it's that easy to play good chess and that hard. Strategy is overrated for beginners. Having some deep positional understanding of your opening and common themes with certain pawn structures doesn't mean #### if you drop your rook to a fork on move 15.

Using Chess Time.

Round 1- All players listed FIRST are white:

timschochet vs. Matsuki

UniAlias vs. kutta

rajinCajun vs. Joe T

Abraham vs. BoomBoom

wdcrop vs. Otis

Mister CIA vs. rascal

PizzaTyme vs. nysfl2

Witz vs. Brownsfan

Ray Karpis vs. spOOfy

Steve Tasker vs. Shotsup

Green and Gold vs. Bogart

jamny vs. cheese

shader vs. AcerFC

Geezil vs. Joffer

Psychopav vs. Otello

timschochet- timschochet

UniAlias- chasec

ragincajun

Abraham- IAmAbraham

wdcrop-WDCrob

Mister CIA-MisterCIA

Pizzatyme-Pizzatyme

Witz

Ray Karpis Ray_Karpis

Steve Tasker FBGTasker

Green and Gold g&g

jamny JamesL13

shader

Geezil geezilgeezil

Joffer joffer8079

AcerFC acerfc

cheese cheesefbg

Bogart

shotsup Shotsup

spOOfy spOOfy

Brownsfan brownsfan

nysfl2 jweldy

rascal rascal7298

Otis KingOtis

BoomBoom boomboomjr.

Joe T Joe_T

kutta kutta

matuski Balance

Psychopav

Otello Otello

This will be a 6 round tournament, round robin. No elimination; everyone in it will play all 6 rounds. Let's see how many people we can get to sign up.
geezil is my game id. Sorry for taking so long joffer. The invite has been sent.

Good grief...spOOfy just waxed me in round 1.

Never saw it coming.
good game. i was getting a little worried at the start of the game. you had some good defensive positioning going. i saw that opportunity and was hoping you would bite on that. :pickle:

Using Chess Time.

Round 1- All players listed FIRST are white:

timschochet vs. Matsuki

UniAlias vs. kutta

rajinCajun vs. Joe T

Abraham vs. BoomBoom

wdcrop vs. Otis

Mister CIA vs. rascal

PizzaTyme vs. nysfl2

Witz vs. Brownsfan

Ray Karpis vs. spOOfy

Steve Tasker vs. Shotsup

jamny vs. cheese

shader vs. AcerFC

Geezil vs. Joffer

Psychopav vs. Otello

timschochet- timschochet

UniAlias- chasec

ragincajun

Abraham- IAmAbraham

wdcrop-WDCrob

Mister CIA-MisterCIA

Pizzatyme-Pizzatyme

Witz

Ray Karpis Ray_Karpis

Steve Tasker FBGTasker

Green and Gold g&g

jamny JamesL13

shader

Geezil geezilgeezil

Joffer joffer8079

AcerFC acerfc

cheese cheesefbg

Bogart

shotsup Shotsup

spOOfy spOOfy

Brownsfan brownsfan

nysfl2 jweldy

rascal rascal7298

Otis KingOtis

BoomBoom boomboomjr.

Joe T Joe_T

kutta kutta

matuski Balance

Psychopav

Otello Otello

This will be a 6 round tournament, round robin. No elimination; everyone in it will play all 6 rounds. Let's see how many people we can get to sign up.
geezil is my game id. Sorry for taking so long joffer. The invite has been sent.
Ragincajun = Ragincajun

spOOfy said:
Took down nys in our fun game :bowtie:
Got greedy going for that pawn. I saw your attack on the second pawn, but thought I'd have time to defend even after taking the pawn.

Good game.

I hope we can do this again. I'm going to start practicing. Not a year from now either Tim. Something consistent would be cool in my opinion.

I do think we need to change the name of the thread because we did this before a couple years back. This is actually the 2nd official FFA chess tournament. Let's not disparage the pioneers.

Tim... might be a good time for a reminder to everyone that we're all playing multiple games. Sounds like people think they're out with a loss.

Sorry for not being around this weekend folks.

Tim - my ID Is WitzFBG

Brownsfan - didn't receive an invite from you (not sure if you sent it to just witz or not); looks like I'm first and white so I'll send you an invite right now.

wdcrob said:
WDCRob (White) 1/2 - 1/2 Otis (Black)
wdcrob said:
Tim... might be a good time for a reminder to everyone that we're all playing multiple games. Sounds like people think they're out with a loss.
Oh, I thought it was one and done. How many games are we playing again?

WDCRob and I had a draw in our first match. WDCRob, I've sent you an invite for a next game. Not sure how the draw affects the scoring for us.

ETA: Ah, ignore all this. I see we just go and play whomever we are matched up with in the next round. I see that we each get a half point for the draw. Thx.

OK, here's what I got. The following games have been completed:

RajinCajun vs. Joe T (0-1)

wdcrop vs. Otis (1/2-1/2)

Pizzatyme vs. nysfl2 (0-1)

Ray Karpis vs. spOOfy (0-1)

Geezil vs. Joffer (0-1)

Jamny vs. Cheese (0-1)

These games are confirmed as currently in progress:

timschochet vs. Matsuki- Matsuki disappeared on Saturday after complaining. Matsuki, please confirm you are going to finish.

Unialias vs. Kutta

Steve Tasker vs. Shotsup

And I have no idea if these games have started or not:

Abraham vs. BoomBoom

Mister CIA vs. Rascal

Witz vs. Brownsfan

Shader vs. AferFC Shader, I still don't know what your Chess Time name is

Psychopav vs. Otello

Please confirm here if these games are underway, or if not what the hold up is so that we can move forward from here. TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread