What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 Reasons "zero RB theory" fails in reality - Agree or Disagree? (1 Viewer)

Bringing back an old threat here. Zero RB obviously has gone way out of style with the re-emergence of the RB and a huge dip in WR performance last year. Is it a fad or the new normal? Also is this the year to strike back with zero RB?

Here is an example in a 12 team PPR from the 4th slot:

1.  AB 

2. AJ Green

3. Baldwin

4. Golden Tate

5. Jimmy Graham

6. Drake

7. Mark Ingram

8. Lamar Miller

9. Ronald Jones 

10. Tarik Cohen

The rest is just whatever, taking favorite flyers and preferred late round QBs. Is this a good draft? An abysmal draft? Can this be a winning strategy this year? 
I don't know your roster/starter requirements are, but out of your RBs, the one I feel most confident in for the year is Drake. I looked a a handful of my drafts (TFC, FPC & MFL10) and didn't see any where Drake dropped past round 4. I'd say you got really lucky there. Obviously your WRs are outstanding, but I'm just not sure about your RBs. Good luck!

Bringing back an old threat here. Zero RB obviously has gone way out of style with the re-emergence of the RB and a huge dip in WR performance last year. Is it a fad or the new normal? Also is this the year to strike back with zero RB?

1.  AB 

2. AJ Green

3. Baldwin

4. Golden Tate

5. Jimmy Graham

6. Drake

7. Mark Ingram

8. Lamar Miller

9. Ronald Jones 

10. Tarik Cohen

The rest is just whatever, taking favorite flyers and preferred late round QBs. Is this a good draft? An abysmal draft? Can this be a winning strategy this year? 
Well you stole RBs and the rest of your league should feel shame that they gave you this draft. According to Draft Calculator (12 team PPR), here’s your RBs ADP...

Drake - 4.07

Ingram - 5.02

Miller - 5.05

Jones - 5.03

Cohen - 6.08

If I had a league gift me those guys, I would be asking the same questions as you. But I think that league is more of an outlier that anything. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you stole RBs and the rest of your league should feel shame that they gave you this draft. According to Draft Calculator (12 team PPR), here’s your RBs ADP...

Drake - 4.07

Ingram - 5.02

Miller - 5.05

Jones - 5.03

Cohen - 6.08

If I had a league gift me those guys, I would be asking the same questions as you. But I think that league is more of an outlier that anything. 
I’m dumb and just realized it was a 10 team league. 

I’m dumb and just realized it was a 10 team league. 
That doesn’t change that they gave you amazing picks that much. For a 10 team PPR...

Drake... 4.08

Ingram... 6.02

Miller... 6.05

Jones... 6.09

Cohen... 7.09

Edit: I don’t know if I’m coming across as a jerk. I hope not. It was perfect drafting by you. Nice work. 

That doesn’t change that they gave you amazing picks that much. For a 10 team PPR...

Drake... 4.08

Ingram... 6.02

Miller... 6.05

Jones... 6.09

Cohen... 7.09

Edit: I don’t know if I’m coming across as a jerk. I hope not. It was perfect drafting by you. Nice work. 
lol no you aren’t. You are right that I got crazy lucky. I’ll try going zero RB in another and post how it goes.

Well zero RB, or something close to it, worked for me last year. But that's likely just because I hit on Hunt and Kamara. Even Duke at a late cheap price was useful. This year I think it kind of depends on draft slot. I'm simply not passing on Zeke, Bell or Gurley in the top 3. At 4 I prefer Brown to DJ. Also prefer Nuk and ODB. And it's pretty difficult to pass on guys like Green and Evans in the mid 2nd. Or Julio in early 2nd (FFS). 

I like Penny, Jones, Drake, Henry, Michel, Chubb, Cohen, Johnson and even Jamaal Williams in the 4th thru 8th rounds. Guys like Ekeler, Hines, Breida, Booker, Dixon are available later and may be startable.  I'm not crazy about *most* of the WRs in the 4th thru 8th. A couple exceptions.

So yeah zero RB can still be done, I think. That being said, most of my teams this year have gone closer to BPA than any strict strategy. 

I have been doing some mocks and waiting until the 5th or 6th RE to start taking RBS and I think it’s a viable strategy this year.   Last 2 years I have gone very rb heavy in the first 6 rounds.  But with all of the influx of talent at RB and the tide turning now to drafting RBS early and often you can put together a very solid squad filled with studs at we, te, and still get a serviceable group of RBS with major upside and go RBbc until one or 2 of them break out.  

I loved reading how some guy invented the zero RB theory and gets all the credit.  I started playing fantasy football in 1990 just a TD only league among friends.  2003 I decided to dip my toe into the high stakes world.  I couldn't go to Vegas where they were all being held back then (I believe the WCOFF was born in 2002).  I did the next best thing I found a medium size high stakes league online a $600 entry fee (a lot for me back then) and a $15,000 grand prize.  This site had PPR scoring something I had never done in my life this was new to me so I was going to have to learn about it.  I bought a magazine that focused on PPR for projection pts and this was the era of the stud RB the Tomlinson, Priest Holmes, Marshall Faulk, Ricky Williams and Shaun Alexander of the world era.  You had to have a stud RB if you had any chance to win big.

Back then everyone got 1 team to draft and that was it.  You didn't get to draft 100 teams to try 100 different strategies like you can today you had to plant your flag on what you truly believed in.  You got 1 shot and only 1 shot to draft your team.  That is what made those days so great in fantasy you really had to believe in something couldn't just draft 100 teams.

So I drew the 8th pick very disappointing for sure as I knew I would not likely get 1 of those super stud RB's.  So I started to think about it and I said you know what let's go against the grain Marvin Harrison was coming off a 144 catch season that was the guy I want as my 1st round pick if all the stud RB's were gone.  In the 2nd round I wanted my favorite player Randy Moss.  So I was planning on opening the draft WR/WR but what happened after that was truly something.

So the draft begins and sure enough 7 straight RB's off the board so I grab Harrison at 8.  I hold my breath as pick 16 is on the clock and he finally takes William Green Cleveland Browns RB and I let out a huge cheer. I run around the house a few times in celebration before coming back and making my pick of Randy Moss. I was so happy to get the 1st and 3rd WRs taken (Owens went at 2.02).  Now I had a long wait until round 3 and there they went RB after RB after RB.  I knew the 1st round would have many (I was only team to take a WR as 11 RBs went in round 1) but I never thought they would just continue to grab RB's with a 2 RB/3WR + 1 flex format you would think people would have slowed down at RB but not the case.

19 RB's went by the end of the 2nd round.  Then they all turned to QB as 6 QB's went off the board before my 3rd round pick along with a 20th RB selection.  At this point I had to make a decision I had to plant a flag so to speak was I going to take the 21st RB, the 7th QB or was I going to grab the 5th WR.

So there I took Hines Ward the 5th WR off the board at pick 3.08.  Then in the 4th I went with Amari Toomer the 11th WR off the board.

So there it was I took 4 straight WR's.  This contest had just 72 teams this year and only 1 other team went WR/WR to start a draft (He also went Harrison/Moss from 8 slot) but then he took a RB in round 3.  70 other teams went RB at least once in the first 2 rounds.

After the draft was over someone posted on the message board "I don't know what that 1 guy was smoking who went all those WR's to start" and another guy chimed in "He's dead money".  I didn't say a word I just would let my teams play do the talking.

Midseason I played this one team Superpion and both teams were undefeated he knocked me off in the minute on Monday night when Favre his QB threw a 1 yard TD pass.

I ended up playing this same guy after going 9-2 and losing once again to him in the league championship game in week 12 again in the final minute of a Sunday 4 PM game when Boldin who he had paid $729K for in FA after week 1 scored a last minute TD.

They did a 4 week championship round weeks 13-16 you started with your avg score.  Superpion was 1st and I was 2nd heading into this with 20 total teams.

I posted a monster 200 score to take the lead after week 13 lead wire to wire all the way to week 16 Monday night when GB traveled to Oakland where his guys Favre and A-Green along with GB DF took the field vs my guy Javon Walker.  Favre playing inspired football after the death of his father earlier in the week threw 5 TD passes in the 1st half including 2 to Walker who posted around 30 pts that half for me. I went into the 4th quarter still slightly ahead and with GB killing Oakland it looked like I needed to survive just 1 more drive to win this contest and be able to be the guy who went 4 WR's to start to do something no one else did in this contest.  GB had a 3rd and 10 on their own side of the field about 8 minutes left I just needed an Oakland stop and GB would likely rest their players to end the game but Favre threw a bomb for a 1st down and not to my guy.  So now I needed a turnover as they were in scoring position as a guy right behind me also had Longwell GB's kicker only 0.4 pts behind me.  Favre though led them to the 1 yard line where Ahman Green pushed in the TD and Longwell kicked the XP crushing my dream as I fell from 1st to 3rd on the score and Superpion being my nemisis got me once again.

I was very disappointed to say the least but I certainly proved going 4 straight WR's could be a strategy that could be used to win big.

Here is an example of zero RB. MFL10 from the 11 spot. Went WR/WR/WR/WR

Garoppolo, Carr

Cohen, Kerryon, Dixon, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Breida, Samuels

ODB, Julio, Cooper, Gordon, Godwin, J'mon Moore

Burton, Njoku, Everett

Houston/Seattle

All I can say is I was doing a modified zero RB BEFORE it became popular and I haven't stopped.  I'm in 4 money leagues every year.  Last year I won one of my leagues, finished 2nd in the other, and the other two crapped out due to injuries.  So while it may not be flawless, I think all of us have been playing FF long enough to know that just winning ONE championship a year is no easy feat.

My advice, stop listening to what others tell you and do your own analysis.  At the end of the day, whether you go zero RB, zero WR, TE Early, or some modified strategy in between.....it all comes down to picking the right players.  The truth is you can win with ANY of these strategies, consistently, if you do solid analysis and preparation for each of your drafts.  All four of my leagues are full point ppr, so to me it has been and continues to be not just a viable option, but the only option I personally consider given my drafting tendencies.

I'll say this, the majority of my offseason work each year goes into researching and mining the RB's I know will go in the middle rounds since this is the CRUCIAL aspect of this strategy.  You MUST have a knack for finding RB's drafted outside the consensus top 20 and being able to spot opportunities.

It should be added, my strategy isn't this full blown extreme zero RB that the mainstream sites promoted and now are crucifying.

Like most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  My strategy is to 100% walk out of the first 4 rounds with 3 stud receivers.  Now, all of my leagues start 2 rb, 2 wr, and a flex .  Another obvious point, if I'm drafting late (after the 9th pick since all my leagues are 12 teams) i will sometimes take an rb in the 3rd and take that 3rd wr in the 4th round.  To me that is just semantics but I guess technically this isn't "zero rb".

Bottom line, I don't draft RB's in the first 2 rounds EVER.  Call that strategy whatever you want but I've been using it for over 6-7 years now.

One reason zero RB may fail that I do not hear about is the increasing overall passing volume.  Increasing passing has raised the WR floor (especially in PPR), and can result in less VBD advantage. 
True and last year we saw passing more spread out. Spread offense means spread the passing attempts. There’s only a handful of WRs that are going to be the focus of their offense and be targeted like such. Does that make those few top WRs even more valuable than years past?

Also I think some people are missing something. Starting with 2 RBs isn’t zero RB and Shawn Siegele doesn’t claim to have invented it. He’s just the first one to write about it with an overwhelming amount of data to support it as well as introducing (as far as I’m aware) the idea of anti-fragility into FF.

Here is an example of zero RB. MFL10 from the 11 spot. Went WR/WR/WR/WR

Garoppolo, Carr

Cohen, Kerryon, Dixon, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Breida, Samuels

ODB, Julio, Cooper, Gordon, Godwin, J'mon Moore

Burton, Njoku, Everett

Houston/Seattle
As best ball brethren, we know that zero RB is easier in best ball because we never have to pick a starter. The other thing is that a big week is more valuable because it is total points and not a head to head league. I just wanted to make sure that non-best ball people understand that bit of context to your post. Those RBs a lot stronger when in that consideration.

As best ball brethren, we know that zero RB is easier in best ball because we never have to pick a starter. 
I'm pretty sure the opposite is true. With injuries and such at running back being what it is, having the aid of the waiver wire can help drastically. Moreso than with any other position.

1.  AB 

2. AJ Green

3. Baldwin

4. Golden Tate

5. Jimmy Graham

6. Drake

7. Mark Ingram

8. Lamar Miller

9. Ronald Jones 

10. Tarik Cohen

14 rounds into a 12 team PPR now....those RBs were taken MUCH earlier then this. Ingram went 5.12, Drake at 4.8, Miller at 5.11.

Thank God I took Kareem Hunt at 1.11, or I have no clue how ugly my RBs would have been. Miller was my #2, and there were no better RBs (except maybe INgram, who went one pick later?) to take at that spot. I can't imagine running with him as #1.

As best ball brethren, we know that zero RB is easier in best ball because we never have to pick a starter. The other thing is that a big week is more valuable because it is total points and not a head to head league. I just wanted to make sure that non-best ball people understand that bit of context to your post. Those RBs a lot stronger when in that consideration.
Yeah perhaps so. I don't necessarily love this team. I just wanted to post an example of what is possible. As mentioned above, the lack of a waiver wire and trading certainly handicap a best ball team. Especially with only 20 roster spots. But I get what you're saying and it's definitely worth pointing out. I sort of assumed since I said MFL10 that people knew that meant best ball.

Drake... 4.08

Ingram... 6.02

Miller... 6.05

Jones... 6.09

Cohen... 7.09

I agree & can't believe you got them when you did.  It happens though & you took advantage.  nice work.

been my experience that with the 0 RB deal you better hit on some waiver wire RBs or it's a long season.   Kamara was the guy last year who wasn't drafted in most 12 team leagues with 15 or 16 roster spots.

been my experience that with the 0 RB deal you better hit on some waiver wire RBs or it's a long season.   Kamara was the guy last year who wasn't drafted in most 12 team leagues with 15 or 16 roster spots.
Kamara was drafted in round 11 or earlier in all four of my leagues last year.

There are so many rookie RB’s this year that seem to be falling to rounds 4-6, and then those that are going even later, that it seems like a good year to grab WR’s early and then try to grab 2-3 of the rookies and hope a couple pan out.

I've been playing for nearly 25 years now. I've won with a multitude of strategies ranging from RB heavy, Zero RB, one RB early and not another until late in the draft, and other variations.  A lot will just depend on drafting the right players and avoiding major injuries.

That said, the seasons I've disliked the most are when I have gone zero-RB.  Due to supply and demand, RBs have the most value. If you have RB depth, you can easily improve your team by trading one of them.  If you don't get two decent RBs late with zero-RB strategy, it feels like you're always behind the 8-ball chasing those RB starters. It impacts how you attack the waiver wire.  Sometimes you pass up on good players from other positions because you desperately chase potential RBs on the waiver wire.

I've been playing for nearly 25 years now. I've won with a multitude of strategies ranging from RB heavy, Zero RB, one RB early and not another until late in the draft, and other variations.  A lot will just depend on drafting the right players and avoiding major injuries.
This is it. I've always rolled my eyes at generalized drafting strategies. Every year there are a few key value plays*. I just craft my draft around those guys. Auction has made this even easier. If I feel confident about a few value guys, I basically craft my strategy around the premise of something like: I'll pay 4% for my WR2, 3% for my RB2, and 3% for my TE1 (just an example and each of those is a specific player with an AAV of around those percentages)... from there you can make some interesting draft options. If I happen to see multiple RB values one year then my draft will technically be a zero-RB approach, but it's merely a coincidence.  

*for example last year I built my teams around Keenan, Marvin, and Ertz. So basically I paid a WR2 price for my WR1, a WR4 price for my WR2, and a TE2 price for my TE1. This allowed extra budget for RB and for WR depth. Other value plays I missed: Engram, Hill, Hopkins, Hunt, Wentz.

Drafting the right players? That’s like the Steve Martin bit on how to become a millionaire and never pay taxes. Step #1 is get a million dollars. 

That said, the seasons I've disliked the most are when I have gone zero-RB.  Due to supply and demand, RBs have the most value. If you have RB depth, you can easily improve your team by trading one of them.  If you don't get two decent RBs late with zero-RB strategy, it feels like you're always behind the 8-ball chasing those RB starters. It impacts how you attack the waiver wire.  Sometimes you pass up on good players from other positions because you desperately chase potential RBs on the waiver wire.
This strategy is the only strategy that works.  In fact, every other strategy requires this in order to work. 

The point is that people should be focusing on talent and situation rather than following some drafting formula. 
Even the best experts aren’t very good at that. It is pretty clear to me that nobody knows which players will be good and which won’t in any given season. 

The best mocks I have done so far have been just ignoring all of these strategies and just taking the best players available regardless of position (excluding K and Def) in the first 6 rounds and then filing out my starting spots and upside players until round 11.   Then defense in RD 12, k in RD 17.  

So a squad I just draftednusing this strategy has this for a starting lineup:

arodg

David Johnson, Mixon, guice 

Baldwin, j. Gordon, r. Anderson (or will fuller)

gronk 

jax d

and then some solid but unspectacular guys and  high upside bench players.  

I would be whistling Dixie going into this year if my real teams looked like this.  4 surefure studs with potential for 6-7 in my starting lineup.  

Even the best experts aren’t very good at that. It is pretty clear to me that nobody knows which players will be good and which won’t in any given season. 
I don't think it's that hard to figure out who will be good if you do research based on talent (the player and those around him), opportunity, change in offensive system, etc.

Unfortunately you don't get to acquire this talent in a vacuum.You are competing against 11 other teams.  In snake drafts, you may not be in position to draft all your targets. In auction drafts, all it takes is one other person to feel the same and drive up the price. You then have to decide if you are reaching too early in a snake draft or if the value is gone in an auction draft. E.g. I loved Ertz last year, but I was only able to get him in 2 of 7 leagues.

You also have to construct your roster properly. Are you valuing players properly across different positions?  Even if you get one of your targeted players, you have to hope they don't tear an acl. Or you have to hope that player's QB or o-line doesn't go down. There are other factors involved beyond your control.

The FF industry is over-saturated.  I'm not sure how some get labeled as experts. Michael Fabiano, Mr Fantasy Football Hall of Famer, will come out and say start Aaron Rodgers this week or start Chris Ivory because Fournette is out. Thanks.  Those guys on the Rotowire show on satellite radio are always talking about how bad their drafts are and how they only have 2 out of 12 teams in the playoffs. You can find a lot more informed folks on this message board than experts.

Ilov80s said:
There are a lot of chance occurrences which makes it a probability game. To me, fantasy football is a little like blackjack. You've got the people who are counting cards, the people who are simply playing by the chart, and then the fools who play by their gut. The probabilities vary by house rules and number of decks, but for this example let's say the card counter has a 51% chance of winning, the chart player is at 48%, and the gut player is like 40%. In the long run the card counter is the only one that will make money, but in the course of a single hour it is very possible the guy hitting on 17 when the dealer is showing a 6 is actually winning and the guy counting cards is losing. Same thing happens with fantasy football in any given 16 game season. Nobody could predict Rodgers' injury or the total collapse of the Oakland offense. Before Ware's injury nobody could've predicted Hunt's 91% snap share. Nobody could've predicted Kamara's breakout with Ingram around. I know every player has a cult following, but these people who blindly predict breakouts are akin to a broken clock being right twice a day. If you search their history, I'm sure they've said the same thing about many flame outs. Just check the "bet your house" thread. Those players are the gut players in blackjack. They'll get lucky just enough times to think their gut feelings are actually some sort of crystal ball.

But the point is, you can be the card counter if you follow offensive line signings, offense coordinators, injuries, and advanced statistics. Some unpredictable things will still happen, but so will some of the predictable things. However, some of them are only predictable if you are looking closely.

There are a lot of chance occurrences which makes it a probability game. To me, fantasy football is a little like blackjack. You've got the people who are counting cards, the people who are simply playing by the chart, and then the fools who play by their gut. The probabilities vary by house rules and number of decks, but for this example let's say the card counter has a 51% chance of winning, the chart player is at 48%, and the gut player is like 40%. In the long run the card counter is the only one that will make money, but in the course of a single hour it is very possible the guy hitting on 17 when the dealer is showing a 6 is actually winning and the guy counting cards is losing. Same thing happens with fantasy football in any given 16 game season. Nobody could predict Rodgers' injury or the total collapse of the Oakland offense. Before Ware's injury nobody could've predicted Hunt's 91% snap share. Nobody could've predicted Kamara's breakout with Ingram around. I know every player has a cult following, but these people who blindly predict breakouts are akin to a broken clock being right twice a day. If you search their history, I'm sure they've said the same thing about many flame outs. Just check the "bet your house" thread. Those players are the gut players in blackjack. They'll get lucky just enough times to think their gut feelings are actually some sort of crystal ball.

But the point is, you can be the card counter if you follow offensive line signings, offense coordinators, injuries, and advanced statistics. Some unpredictable things will still happen, but so will some of the predictable things. However, some of them are only predictable if you are looking closely.
Could not like this enough.  This forum is polluted with 'this guy is the next great thing' threads, so of course a couple of them are right but most of them are wrong.  

I also like your comparison with percents.  Even with counting the cards there is just so much you can't predict.  Oaklands offense is a great example.  

Gally said:
This strategy is the only strategy that works.  In fact, every other strategy requires this in order to work. 
That’s not a strategy. Is there anyone drafting trying not to take the right players?

FF Ninja said:
The point is that people should be focusing on talent and situation rather than following some drafting formula. 
I agree but honestly we all suck at predicting talent/situation past a couple rounds.

That’s not a strategy. Is there anyone drafting trying not to take the right players?
That was the point.  No matter what strategy you use if you don't pick the right players it really doesn't matter.  The strategy can be sound but if you screw up the players you are taking it will look like the strategy doesn't work.  The only thing that works is when you pick the right players regardless of the strategy you use.

That was the point.  No matter what strategy you use if you don't pick the right players it really doesn't matter.  The strategy can be sound but if you screw up the players you are taking it will look like the strategy doesn't work.  The only thing that works is when you pick the right players regardless of the strategy you use.
I disagree with that. It’s more complicated than right players and wrong players. Also there are ways to improve the odds you draft those “right” players.

I disagree with that. It’s more complicated than right players and wrong players. Also there are ways to improve the odds you draft those “right” players.
Sure....You can research and study.  Be informed and watch tape.  Lots of things to improve your knowledge so you make better choices but in the end you can't control injuries or other factors that cause players to underperform.  You can make educated guesses and hope they perform as you expect them to.  But in the end if you make wrong choices (for whatever the reason) you will most likely not be successful for that year even if your strategy was sound.  Sure there are times when schedule luck might help you and your team wins because you play a weak schedule with underperforming players but by and large if you make the wrong choices on players you will not be successful.

You can research and study.  Be informed and watch tape.
I just want to point out that these two things are mutually exclusive.  I watch games for fun, and to track how my teams are doing, but I have never broken down video or attempted to learn the finer points of route running or blocking schemes.

I do research and study extensively -- by reading and listening to podcasts.

I just want to point out that these two things are mutually exclusive.  I watch games for fun, and to track how my teams are doing, but I have never broken down video or attempted to learn the finer points of route running or blocking schemes.

I do research and study extensively -- by reading and listening to podcasts.
Right I’m going to trust the experts when it comes to film analysis.

Sure....You can research and study.  Be informed and watch tape.  Lots of things to improve your knowledge so you make better choices but in the end you can't control injuries or other factors that cause players to underperform.  You can make educated guesses and hope they perform as you expect them to.  But in the end if you make wrong choices (for whatever the reason) you will most likely not be successful for that year even if your strategy was sound.  Sure there are times when schedule luck might help you and your team wins because you play a weak schedule with underperforming players but by and large if you make the wrong choices on players you will not be successful.
I didn't mean that- ofcourse being informed is good. Still, someone could just open up a draft app or download an FBG, Yahoo, Rotoworld or whatever cheatsheat the night of the draft without having done any research and still have a successful draft. Zero RB is an actual strategy. It can still fail ofcourse, but the entire premise of zero RB is that we are going to make lots of bad picks because we aren't good at predicting the outcomes of the season. For example, if a PPR league starts 2RB/3 WR/1TE /1 Flex and you start your draft WR/WR/WR/TE/WR/WR/WR. You have 2 extra WRs to help cover your team in case an earlier WR busts or gets hurt (which we know will happen). Plus it increases the odds that you draft a difference making WR since you have more of them on your team. So your WR core will be able to handle injries and busts better than most and potentially even during bye weeks you are able to field the best WR lineup in the league. It is also saying that every team is weak somewhere and I will choose to be weak at RB because the RB position is very volatile and as the year goes on other teams highly drafted RBs will bust or get hurt which allows me to try to scoop up their WW replacements. It is an aggressive and dangerous strategy, but it is an actual strategy unlike "draft the right players". 

Again, not saying this is a winning formula at all- just pushing the conversation.

Here is another example that I thought worked out well in a mock on Fantasy Pros: 12 team 3 WR/1 Flex PPR

QB; Ben, Luck

RB:Ajayi, Ronald Jones, Mack, Lynch, Montgomery

WR: Julio, Keenan, Diggs, Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Garcon

TE: Vance McDonald (could have been any number of deep flyer TEs like Njoku, Willson, Clay, Watson)

The RB situation isn't good but Ronald Jones has a high ceiling, Mack could be something in that offense if Luck is right, Ajayi/Lynch should at least be decent floor plays and I will spend the season churning WW trying to find a breakout RB. Being able to start Julio, Keenan, Diggs and Tate are the best 4some of WRs and if Diggs gets hurt or Tate loses too many targets to Kenny G than I have Sanders and Garcon to replace them. I am not saying this was the best draft or the right draft, just that it is a strategy because I devoted my most valuable draft resources to the position which I have to play the most players. 

I didn't mean that- ofcourse being informed is good. Still, someone could just open up a draft app or download an FBG, Yahoo, Rotoworld or whatever cheatsheat the night of the draft without having done any research and still have a successful draft. Zero RB is an actual strategy. It can still fail ofcourse, but the entire premise of zero RB is that we are going to make lots of bad picks because we aren't good at predicting the outcomes of the season. For example, if a PPR league starts 2RB/3 WR/1TE /1 Flex and you start your draft WR/WR/WR/TE/WR/WR/WR. You have 2 extra WRs to help cover your team in case an earlier WR busts or gets hurt (which we know will happen). Plus it increases the odds that you draft a difference making WR since you have more of them on your team. So your WR core will be able to handle injries and busts better than most and potentially even during bye weeks you are able to field the best WR lineup in the league. It is also saying that every team is weak somewhere and I will choose to be weak at RB because the RB position is very volatile and as the year goes on other teams highly drafted RBs will bust or get hurt which allows me to try to scoop up their WW replacements. It is an aggressive and dangerous strategy, but it is an actual strategy unlike "draft the right players". 
My only point was that whatever strategy you use you must pick the right players to be successful.  I also said that using a strategy and picking the wrong players doesn't necessarily mean the strategy in itself was a bad strategy.  

I just thought the original statement wasn't necessary because all strategies hinge on picking the right players to be successful.

ETA:  my very first post on this was meant to be sarcastic.  I didn't mean it as an actual strategy.  

Many years ago, I can remember intuitively thinking "I'd rather have the top WR than the 10th best RB".  This was when Stud RB Theory was the consensus and the early rounds were dominated by RB selections.  Guys like Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Isaac Bruce and Michael Irvin were difference makers.  Land two of those guys and you had solid week-in, week-out production.  My strategy was consistent with what eventually became labeled as Value Based Drafting.  The approach was largely successful but its key was to identify several RBs that might slip in the draft.  Rookies, such as Curtis Martin, tended not to be selected too early as they were unproven.  Another target was receiving backs as my leagues were always PPR.  These guys didn't have the appeal of the big name backs but were productive and consistent.  Larry Centers, who was actually a full back, once had 101 receptions (over 800 career) and would complement that with a few runs and the occasional TD.

One advantage of having stud WRs was they were in the line-up every week.  Overall, I devoted FEWER roster positions to WR and could take an extra flyer or two at RB.  I've seen Zero RB described as committing more roster spots to the WR position which I think is a major flaw.

However, my approach was never Zero RB.  I was probably taking at least one back in the first three rounds.  And that was when I picked in the second half of the first round.  I was taking a RB if that player was the best on the board.  Obviously, a lot has changed in 25 years.  People are not rookie RB adverse.  There are fewer sleepers and receiving backs show up higher in the PPR rankings.  

So zero RB?  I believe that strategy takes mine to a different level and is probably too extreme.  The mindset that you're not taking a RB until a certain point in the draft seems too locked in and doesn't allow the draft to "come to you".   You would have to have some "sleepers" identified which is more difficult today.  That probably means targeting guys with major question marks or picking the right guy from what looks like a committee in August.  You can hit a home-run but you'll probably strike out more often.

I'm, by nature, a contrarian.  However, you can only go so far against the grain.  The pool dries up quickly when eleven other guys in the league are still consumed by RBs.  I've seen guys picking their third and even 4th RB in the first 4 rounds.

The way I see it, "zero RB" strat has a higher ceiling but lower floor. So whether it's a "viable" strategy largely depends on how your league pays out. If it's winner takes all, I'd argue zero-RB is very legit - Since there's no difference between 2nd place and last place, you might as well shoot for the moon.

I love Zero RB more this year as a contrarian strategy because its brand has gotten sullied, but only employing it sparingly in a few home leagues. You're still banking on RBs like Dion Lewis and Kerryon Johnson to have a year approaching Alvin Kamara's last year. If they hit, you're sitting pretty with top Tier WRs like OBJ and Julio as your first two picks. Add a top 3 TE in the third round and you have a potential winning lineup. But know that you're just as likely to find yourself at the bottom of the standings as the top. 

Users who are viewing this thread