What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4th Round Rookie WR Gold Mine (Boyce, Harper, Patton) (1 Viewer)

There is more to playing specific wr positions than just height, weight, strength, and speed.
My question about Boyce is specifically what about his physical ability is supposed to be preventing him from playing outside (like Shorts)? I feel that guys get pigeon-holed by some scout and it sticks, despite the fact that other WR's have played well outside and his height/weight/strength/speed.

There is more to playing specific wr positions than just height, weight, strength, and speed.
My question about Boyce is specifically what about his physical ability is supposed to be preventing him from playing outside (like Shorts)? I feel that guys get pigeon-holed by some scout and it sticks, despite the fact that other WR's have played well outside and his height/weight/strength/speed.
I don't know if any one is really limiting him to the slot position in this thread. Maybe I'm missing something? EBF's OP mentions that he can play slot and outside.

I don't know if any one is really limiting him to the slot position in this thread. Maybe I'm missing something? EBF's OP mentions that he can play slot and outside.
I got it off NFL.com's profile:

WeaknessesMight be limited to purely playing the slot. Does not bring some difficult catches extended away from his frame that top prospects are expected to snare with their hands. Some college corners could close on him in the open field. Will fall off run blocks instead of sustaining, allowing his man to come off and make a play at times.

I don't think Boyce is purely a slot receiver. Can he play there? Yes, but there's no good reason to think he'll be stuck in that role.

That wasn't his game in college. Watch his clips on YouTube and you'll see him making a lot of plays out wide.

He weighs 206 and bench presses the world. He'll be bigger than most cornerbacks.

I think he'll be a versatile chess piece for New England. One more reason why I favor him over Dobson. This team is great at utilizing nontraditional weapons and Boyce will give them a lot of flexibility.

I don't understand how you could dog Dobson's performance and then back up Harper EBF
Harper played on a very poor passing offense and still had more receiving yards last season. He accounted for 33.6% of his team's passing game whereas Dobson accounted for just 15.5%.

Harper also has the excuse of being a transfer/position change. He was a QB in high school and at Oregon. They converted him to WR after he transferred to Kansas State. The fact that he was new to the position probably goes a long way towards explaining his modest early production. What I like about his statistical performance is that he improved every season, breaking out as a senior with 650 yards in his final 8 college games. That's big time production, especially on a bad passing team. Once things clicked for him, he started to become a dominant force.

On the other hand, Dobson flatlined early in college. He had 689, 668, and 679 receiving yards in his last three seasons. Never got any better after his sophomore year. And bear in mind that Marshall lead the nation in passing yards last season, so there was plenty of production to go around. Dobson just didn't seize any of it. He's an average receiver with plus skills in the red zone and not much else to get excited about. Harper isn't a slam dunk elite prospect, but I think he's more impressive on film and he looks more likely to become a true #1 WR in the NFL.

AJ Jenkins is available in my rookie draft in a 10 team ppr league. Would you slot him above, below, or amongst the three prospects in the op?

A. J. Jenkins was on the ww in my 12 team 25 man PPR dynasty. I took him with the final pick in Rd. 4 of our rookie draft yesterday. Patton went at 4.02.

I like the potential of the 4th round guys, but the real steals were found in round 3 imho. It's why I was beating the wait on WR drum pre draft. Incredible depth in this class and the top of it outside of Austin just isn't worth the risk.
I like Wheaton a bit, but am not too high on Goodwin, Williams, or Bailey.
What is it that has you low on Bailey? He seems like a great low risk, high upside pick to me.

AJ Jenkins is available in my rookie draft in a 10 team ppr league. Would you slot him above, below, or amongst the three prospects in the op?
As of now, I think you have to put him above, simply based on draft position. He's a first round pick, and that means, statistically speaking, he is far more likely to pan out than any of these 3. That said, all players should be judged individually, and if preseason rolls around, and Patton has passed Jenkins on the depth chart, changes should be made to your rankings, and NFL draft position can be more easily discarded.

As of now, I think you have to put him above, simply based on draft position. He's a first round pick, and that means, statistically speaking, he is far more likely to pan out than any of these 3. That said, all players should be judged individually, and if preseason rolls around, and Patton has passed Jenkins on the depth chart, changes should be made to your rankings, and NFL draft position can be more easily discarded.
Jenkins status as a first round pick stopped mattering very much at all when he couldn't get on the field over Chad Hall. If we were having this discussion last summer, sure, Jenkins status as a first-round pick held some weight. Now that we have a year of his trajectory in the NFL to look at, it's time to give how that year went much, much more weight than what the 49ers thought of him at the time he was drafted.

Jenkins status as a first round pick stopped mattering very much at all when he couldn't get on the field over Chad Hall. If we were having this discussion last summer, sure, Jenkins status as a first-round pick held some weight. Now that we have a year of his trajectory in the NFL to look at, it's time to give how that year went much, much more weight than what the 49ers thought of him at the time he was drafted.
I agree Sig. Just look at this list of first round busts.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=WR&type=position

Last edited by a moderator:

I am very aware of the fact that the majority of first round picks will bust. However, a much higher percentage of 4th round WRs will bust.

Plenty of rookie WRs do little to nothing in their first year. While I agree that his rookie season devastated his value, he is still just one year removed from being a 1st round pick. That means the 49ers think he has a very high ceiling. Will he ever reach that ceiling? Probably not. But because that upside is still there, I think he is worth more than any 4th round pick from this year's draft as of now.

I am very aware of the fact that the majority of first round picks will bust. However, a much higher percentage of 4th round WRs will bust.
Agreed there as well.

I like the potential of the 4th round guys, but the real steals were found in round 3 imho. It's why I was beating the wait on WR drum pre draft. Incredible depth in this class and the top of it outside of Austin just isn't worth the risk.
What is it that has you low on Bailey? He seems like a great low risk, high upside pick to me.
Not very big. Okay speed, but not a burner. An overachiever type with marginal tools. Stats were pumped up by a friendly spread offense.

I think he's basically Ryan Broyles/Mark Clayton all over again. Good player without the extra something to thrive in the NFL.

I think he's strictly a complementary target for St. Louis. Not much upside IMO.

Below Boyce and Harper. Maybe ahead of Patton.

I know the odds favor the first round pick, but I think Boyce/Harper are better than the typical fourth round pick.

Having said that, I'm not ready to completely bury Jenkins. Yes he failed to make an impact last season and yes I think that's a bad sign, but young players sometimes take a few years to find their groove. Plenty of good receivers like Miles Austin, Cecil Shorts, Vincent Jackson, and Steve Smith didn't jump into the starting lineup and dominate from day one. For that matter, how many people thought Colin Kaepernick was a star 12 months ago? Harbaugh has said that Jenkins will be fine. I don't quite believe him, but it's not impossible.

I know the odds favor the first round pick, but I think Boyce/Harper are better than the typical fourth round pick.

Having said that, I'm not ready to completely bury Jenkins. Yes he failed to make an impact last season and yes I think that's a bad sign, but young players sometimes take a few years to find their groove. Plenty of good receivers like Miles Austin, Cecil Shorts, Vincent Jackson, and Steve Smith didn't jump into the starting lineup and dominate from day one. For that matter, how many people thought Colin Kaepernick was a star 12 months ago? Harbaugh has said that Jenkins will be fine. I don't quite believe him, but it's not impossible.
It seems like people want it both ways when it comes to rookies - some will say that it doesn't matter when a guy was drafted once he's on the team and has to fight for playing time like anyone else, but then they'll turn around and label a guy a bust because he was drafted early and didn't play much.

Jenkins not getting on the field much is certainly a red flag, but I'd say that about any rookie who that happened to regardless of their draft position. However, it doesn't mean he's a bust anymore than Miles Austin was a bust after only 5 catches his first two years. Some guys just take longer to develop into NFL receivers.

Not very big. Okay speed, but not a burner. An overachiever type with marginal tools. Stats were pumped up by a friendly spread offense.

I think he's basically Ryan Broyles/Mark Clayton all over again. Good player without the extra something to thrive in the NFL.

I think he's strictly a complementary target for St. Louis. Not much upside IMO.
Bailey is much better than Broyles. Broyles was strictly a slot WR in college and he is one in the NFL. Bailey makes plays downfield.

Mark Clayton had a good run as Bradford's go-to guy before his knee injury.

It seems like people want it both ways when it comes to rookies - some will say that it doesn't matter when a guy was drafted once he's on the team and has to fight for playing time like anyone else, but then they'll turn around and label a guy a bust because he was drafted early and didn't play much.

Jenkins not getting on the field much is certainly a red flag, but I'd say that about any rookie who that happened to regardless of their draft position. However, it doesn't mean he's a bust anymore than Miles Austin was a bust after only 5 catches his first two years. Some guys just take longer to develop into NFL receivers.
Re: your first paragraph - those two positions are totally consistent. Once you walk into camp, you have to fight for playing time no matter when you were drafted. If street free agents are getting playing time over you at the end of your rookie year, it means you are still a ways away from being able to contribute, and if you were drafted in the first round, you were expected to contribute something early in your career, so yeah, it is likely that Jenkins is a bust. The difference between Jenkins and guys like Austin/Vjax/Shorts/Smith is that they weren't expected to contribute early in their careers - in fact Austin, VJax and Shorts all came from lower levels of college football, so it was probably expected that they wouldn't contribute early in the careers.

Jenkins was a first round pick from a BCS conference. While starting, or even being in the WR rotation by the end of his rookie year might not have been a given, he certainly should have been at a point in his development by late season where the team would be willing to turn to him ahead of street free agents.

Is it a certainty that he will bust? Of course not. Still his low rookie year production is a strong indicator of bust likelihood, and unless we see strong evidence that he is reversing course, there is no reason to expect his trajectory to change. I would take Patton, Boyce or Harper over Jenkins. I might deal a 4th round rookie pick for him if I hated the players left on the board, but since I am seeing Marquise Goodwin there regularly, the answer is probably not.

Re: your first paragraph - those two positions are totally consistent. Once you walk into camp, you have to fight for playing time no matter when you were drafted. If street free agents are getting playing time over you at the end of your rookie year, it means you are still a ways away from being able to contribute, and if you were drafted in the first round, you were expected to contribute something early in your career, so yeah, it is likely that Jenkins is a bust. The difference between Jenkins and guys like Austin/Vjax/Shorts/Smith is that they weren't expected to contribute early in their careers - in fact Austin, VJax and Shorts all came from lower levels of college football, so it was probably expected that they wouldn't contribute early in the careers.

Jenkins was a first round pick from a BCS conference. While starting, or even being in the WR rotation by the end of his rookie year might not have been a given, he certainly should have been at a point in his development by late season where the team would be willing to turn to him ahead of street free agents.

Is it a certainty that he will bust? Of course not. Still his low rookie year production is a strong indicator of bust likelihood, and unless we see strong evidence that he is reversing course, there is no reason to expect his trajectory to change. I would take Patton, Boyce or Harper over Jenkins. I might deal a 4th round rookie pick for him if I hated the players left on the board, but since I am seeing Marquise Goodwin there regularly, the answer is probably not.
You can talk about expectations from high draft picks but that's all it is - expectations. What his non-existent rookie year shows is that the 49ers were wrong to use a 1st on him and he should have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder instead.

Luckily for the 49ers they could afford to wait on him to develop. A worse team would have forced him out there even though he wasn't ready - see Quick and Hill.

It's not just that he didn't live up to expectations. He was reportedly very bad in minicamp/OTAs, and it obviously did not get better as the season went on. It's not hard to see which way that arrow is pointing.

Patton is a bit inconsistent for me. I'm not sure if he can handle the bigger, more physical corners on the NFL. The potential is there though.

:twocents:

Tex

It's not just that he didn't live up to expectations. He was reportedly very bad in minicamp/OTAs, and it obviously did not get better as the season went on. It's not hard to see which way that arrow is pointing.
All I can say is we'll see. If he has another bad training camp I'll change my mind on him, but I'm not ready to give up on his obvious talent just yet.

In an informal poll on Twitter, 9 said they'd rather have a 4th rd rookie like Harper/Boyce/Patton, and 7 said Jenkins. 5 specifically said Boyce, 5 Patton, and 3 Harper - some said they had more than one over Jenkins.

So Jenkins rough value right now seems like a 3rd round rookie pick. Should be action both ways if you want to get in or out of a position on Jenkins.

In an informal poll on Twitter, 9 said they'd rather have a 4th rd rookie like Harper/Boyce/Patton, and 7 said Jenkins. 5 specifically said Boyce, 5 Patton, and 3 Harper - some said they had more than one over Jenkins.

So Jenkins rough value right now seems like a 3rd round rookie pick. Should be action both ways if you want to get in or out of a position on Jenkins.
I think this speaks to the impatience of most FF owners. The lure of the unknown with a clean slate, trumps anyone that has not become a star within the first year or two.

WHen you are saying Fourth Round Rookie Pick, Sig do you mean a rookie NFL 4th rounder (Harper, Boyce, and Patton) or a dynasty draft 4th round pick?

Just pulled off another deal to get Harper. I own him in 7 of 7 leagues now.

Might have to start a hype train thread.

:getonthebus:

Just pulled off another deal to get Harper. I own him in 7 of 7 leagues now.

Might have to start a hype train thread.

:getonthebus:
You really don't need to, after all the pimping you have done so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm split between Patton and Jenkins. Patton is more like a faster Crabtree, Jenkins is a home-run hitter. I guess it delends where Jenkins head is after all the negative press. Boyce has hills to climb before he's relevant, but he's talented. I'd put Harper last. There's a little hope, but I don't think he will pan out.

Managed to land Boyce and Harper in the late 3rd and 4th rounds of a recent draft on a receiver-needy team.

Here's hoping one of them turns into something serviceable within 2-3 yrs...

hostile said:
Managed to land Boyce and Harper in the late 3rd and 4th rounds of a recent draft on a receiver-needy team.

Here's hoping one of them turns into something serviceable within 2-3 yrs...
:thumbup:

I agree. If they had to play today. You'd have to think it would be Tate and Harper maybe with Baldwin in the slot.

I agree. If they had to play today. You'd have to think it would be Tate and Harper maybe with Baldwin in the slot.
Harper has only really just picked it up though after a pretty poor start to camp. Would think Kearse would get first dibs as a veteran, though I think Harper is the much better long term option. Stephen Williams of 'Zona hype has looked pretty all right as well though apparently.

So Tate on the outside and Baldwin in the slot? And the other spot is pretty wide open? Does that seem accurate?

Reports are that Jermaine Kearse is the guy who has been running with the ones, not Harper. And Kearse also seems to be getting more praise from Bevell:

I like what I see out of Jermaine Kearse. He’s done a nice job, had a real nice catch down there in the end zone today. Chris Harper, our draft pick, he’s still learning. He’s big, he’s strong, he catches the ball well. Phil Bates is kind of in that same mold with him. But there’s a good mix out there.
A lot can change in the next month, but there's a good chance that will include the return of Rice & Miller, which will drop Kearse, Harper, or whoever down to 4th or 5th in the pecking order.

Out of Boyce, Harper, Patton, and Jenkins, Boyce seems to be the only one with decent camp buzz, and he's getting less of it than Dobson or Thompkins.

So Tate on the outside and Baldwin in the slot? And the other spot is pretty wide open? Does that seem accurate?
Yep - I have liked Tate since being drafted, but it's time to shine when the opportunity arises. Hot hand on the other side IF Rice isn't good to go right now.

Chris Harper, Seahawks (Pick 123) - One of my favorite players in the draft. A unique and unprecedented prospect. He's not what I would call an explosive athlete and he doesn't have a consistently great burst out of his routes to gain separation, but he has some special qualities that could see him become a surprise hit in the NFL. The most obvious of those qualities is size. At 6'0.6" and 230 pounds, Harper has a height/weight ratio more in line with a TE or a RB than a WR. The difference in body mass between Harper and typical "big" NFL receivers like Fitzgerald/Bryant/VJackson is about equal to the difference between those receivers and thinner players like Wayne/Green/Maclin. He's in his own XXL class from a frame standpoint. When you look at Harper in that context, his 4.55 speed and 6.89 three cone time become more impressive. He isn't fast or explosive compared to the typical WR, but he's fast and explosive for a player with his body type. Mobile enough that corners have to respect the threat of his speed and quickness. What's most unique about his playing style is that he doesn't really have to be open to catch the ball because he can bully corners at the catch point. There are some plays on his highlight reels like this one where defenders literally bounce off of him when they try to close.

What also stands out to me about Harper is that he has a big wing span and great hands. He attacks the ball in a crowd and always catches it away from his frame. He improved each season in college and became a consistent producer as a senior, netting at least 50 receiving yards in 10 of his last 11 games despite suffering from Collin Klein's horrendous QB play. Overall, Harper figures to be a very difficult matchup for pro corners, many of whom will surrender 30-45 pounds to him. Like Boyce, he should benefit tremendously from his situation. Russell Wilson is one of the rising stars at QB and Harper should thrive as one of his primary targets. I see him eventually becoming a better version of James Jones. He's a similar player, but bigger with much more reliable hands.
I think the plan is to groom him to replace Rice next year.

Tate and Rice play on the outside, Baldwin plays the slot. I think eventually you see Rice get cut next year or take a pay cut. If he is cut then you will see Harper (ideally in Rice's position). If an injury happened today then I think Kearse would be playing Rice's spot in the offense.

A lot can change in the next month, but there's a good chance that will include the return of Rice & Miller, which will drop Kearse, Harper, or whoever down to 4th or 5th in the pecking order.

Out of Boyce, Harper, Patton, and Jenkins, Boyce seems to be the only one with decent camp buzz, and he's getting less of it than Dobson or Thompkins.
Eh. That's hard to quantify. I wouldn't say there's a clear hierarchy among Dobson/Boyce/Thompkins yet. Almost all of the reports on Boyce have been positive after the first day or two. As for Harper, I've been reading all the Seahawks stuff I can find. There isn't a giant buzz there, but he's been noted as making some nice catches the last few days. A bit unfair to compare him to Kearse, who's been in the system for a year. Some quotes from practice observers:

-- WR Chris Harper had a few catches in the 2-minute drill. Looks like he is getting his feet under him.
In closing, I was impressed with Michael, Bates, Harper, McGrath, Kearse, Lotulelei, Bennett and of course our 1st team D.
I have a hard time taking too much from these practices and just enjoyed the environment. I did notice out of everyone Chris Harper had to great back should catches for about 20 yards where he positioned his body very well.
Chris Harper looked good, really good.
I watched today and just tried to figure who would make the roster for the receiver group. I really like Harper and also Kearse looked good, so did Williams. damn it will be a tough battle for that group.
As for the rest of the group being; Clark, Harper, Heard, Swain and Veltung. Quiet days, as a matter of fact I don't think Swain was out there today. Harper got more work than the others, you can tell this guy is raw by the way he runs his routes, but there is definitely an upside there.
Harper was the second best receiver behind Tate with several good catches.
At the end of the day, it's just their first training camp. You always hope that a player will come in and light it up right away, but that's not necessarily how it works. I remember when Andre Roberts was a rookie reading how awful he looked and how much better Stephen Williams was doing. Fast forward a few years and Roberts is a key player for the Cardinals passing game while Williams is trying to make Seattle's roster as a camp body. Players develop at different rates.

I think Harper was drafted off of his physical abilities more than anything. That seems to be Sea model lately. You can tell with picks like Michael and Luke Wilson too.

I think Harper was drafted off of his physical abilities more than anything. That seems to be Sea model lately. You can tell with picks like Michael and Luke Wilson too.
Someone posted a really interesting article about that. Something about an athleticism/explosion metric that Pete Carrol put together with Nike while coaching college ball.

Someone posted a really interesting article about that. Something about an athleticism/explosion metric that Pete Carrol put together with Nike while coaching college ball.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/2013/5/16/4338100/sparq-a-fire-measuring-the-type-of-athlete-the-seahawks-hunt-for

rotoworld

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll praised fourth-round WR Chris Harper Wednesday.

"He’s learning fast, he’s a real smart kid," Carroll said. "He has improved right before our eyes in the things he was going earlier that he picked up on. He’s doing a good job and we expect to see get the ball and do some things in (Friday's preseason opener)."

I've been tracking Seattle's camp and the buzz on Harper has been pretty quiet. You don't hear a lot of glowing praise, but at the same time his name pops up every day or two with him making a nice catch. Patience is required here, as he's somewhat unlikely to explode right out of the starting blocks. I'm looking at him as more of a 2-3 year project.

Users who are viewing this thread