What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4th Round Rookie WR Gold Mine (Boyce, Harper, Patton) (1 Viewer)

Joyce couldn't see the field beyond a snap or two given how pathetic the 2 rookies ahead of him were, hard to see him getting much of an opportunity this year.

Harper: Cut.

Joyce: Nothing.

Winner by default of the '4th Round Gold Mine' = Patton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joyce couldn't see the field beyond a snap or two given how pathetic the 2 rookies ahead of him were, hard to see him getting much of an opportunity this year.

Harper: Cut.

Joyce: Nothing.

Winner by default of the '4th Round Gold Mine' = Patton.
I don't foresee Patton being on the field much either.

I was honestly shocked to see how little he was used, especially after butterfingers Dobson kept noticeably pissing off Brady with drops and bad routes.

Looks like it could be a long wait for Boyce.

Disappointed that he hasn't been more involved. The guys in front of him haven't exactly wowed thus far though, so maybe he will get a shot at some point.

I am still optimistic that he will become a good player in time.

Disappointed that he hasn't been more involved. The guys in front of him haven't exactly wowed thus far though, so maybe he will get a shot at some point.

Boyce was the only reason I watched the game. Most have been dead wrong about the Pats this year. They bit on Sudfield and Tompkins. Vereen was in position to show he's more of a threat than Ridley. No one knows Josh Boyce. He has 4.3 speed, size, and good hands. Hes a Garcon/Harvin RB built type of weapon. Hopefully we'll be right eventually. I guess it's just a early call.

EBF said:

ShaHBucks said:
EBF said:

Boyce was the only reason I watched the game. Most have been dead wrong about the Pats this year. They bit on Sudfield and Tompkins. Vereen was in position to show he's more of a threat than Ridley. No one knows Josh Boyce. He has 4.3 speed, size, and good hands. Hes a Garcon/Harvin RB built type of weapon. Hopefully we'll be right eventually. I guess it's just a early call.
Totally agree with both of you. IMO Boyce should at least get a deent amount of snaps next game over one of the other 2 rookie wr's.

Any of these guys have a chance in the future? I see Harper is now a TE. Patton for all his entususiasm hasn't played and Boyce isn't going anything. I had convinced myself that all these guys had a chance but they've register nary a blip on the radar. I think this just reinforces my thoughts that draft position (NFL draft that is) should be the first criteria when rating prospects.

This was an interesting draft for me because a lot of the WRs who were high on my board pre-draft fell a round or two and a lot of the ones that I didn't like went high. The result is that a lot of players that I have no interest in are coming off the board early while some intriguing talents are sliding later than I expected a month ago. In terms of value per cost, the sweet spot seems to be with the fourth round WRs: Boyce, Harper, and Patton.

While I wouldn't say any of these guys are elite talents, they're all pretty good. Good enough to potentially become productive full-time starters. Perhaps more importantly, they all landed on teams with good QB play. As we saw last season, good QB play can elevate modest talents like Eric Decker, James Jones, Lance Moore, and TY Hilton to the point where they're solid weekly starting options. The same could eventually happen for these guys.

4th round NFL draft picks rarely become standout players or even adequate starters, but my hunch is that this group has more talent and potential than the typical receiver selected in this range. I've finished several rookie drafts already and I've looked at many others. I think this trio offers good return on your investment and I recommend taking a chance on them if they fall to spot where the price is reasonable (20th-25th overall pick). I think we'll look back on this draft class in a few years and see that these guys probably deserved to go a little higher. I even like the other 4th round WR Ace Sanders, although his skill set makes him less relevant for FF (return man/slot receiver).
The original premise was great, but maybe including some of the players in the other later rounds like 3rd (Allen, Williams) and 5th (Stills) would have been good.

Take good young talent wherever chosen and put them with Rivers, Romo, Brees, with opportunity (Danario out, Austin out, Colston slowing & Devery gone) and you have success.

Any of these guys have a chance in the future? I see Harper is now a TE. Patton for all his entususiasm hasn't played and Boyce isn't going anything. I had convinced myself that all these guys had a chance but they've register nary a blip on the radar. I think this just reinforces my thoughts that draft position (NFL draft that is) should be the first criteria when rating prospects.
I don't think Patton's situation has anything to do with draft position. He fractured his foot when he got on the field in Week 4--after being named a starter. The injury ruined his chance to showcase his skills, and now his problem is going to be competing with Crabtree, Boldin, Davis, and possibly Manningham for targets. That's twice as many options as the 49ers had in Week 4.

However, Manningham is injury prone and Boldin a 2014 FA. Would have to say that Patton is still a hold.

Historically, the odds on 4th round picks aren't very good, so you're right from that perspective.

I've dropped Harper everywhere I had him. Think he's too sluggish and slow out of his breaks to make it at WR and too short to be a TE. Basically a tweener.

Boyce is also a bit of a tweener in the sense that he's not as elusive in the open field as a typical quickness/speed kind of WR and not quite as big as a typical possession/power type of WR, but I still hold out hope that he can become a solid NFL contributor. He is really, really athletic and he was a good football player at TCU. I have him in several leagues and I plan to hold him until early-mid 2014 season to see if he can make any waves.

Patton is probably the best bet of the three moving forward. I think he showed some nice flashes in the preseason and could have a solid career as a #2 WR. If I could get him for a 3rd round rookie pick or maybe even a late 2nd, I would definitely think about it.

Curious where we all stand now on Boyce vs. Patton (as it certainly seems like Harper is out of the running here). Perhaps the *winner* of this isn't really much help, but perhaps he turns out to be quite a solid producer.

Boyce is starting to flash - 149 yards last week on KRs against the Texans, and also stepped in a variety of roles on the offensive side of the ball and earned praise from McDaniels. With Dobson hurt (and no real information on his injury) and Thompkins yo-yoing up and down the depth chart, Boyce may emerge.

In somewhat the opposite situation is Patton - he was an early riser after a strong preseason (6 receptions, 87 yards, 2 TDs - 2 games), especially impressive after missing most of camp with the thumb ligament injury. Claws his way to the starting spot opposite Boldin, only to fracture his foot in week 4. Now he returns to a much stronger receiving corps after Crabtree and Manningham have joined Boldin and Davis.

So after we've seen 3/4 of a season with these guys... still believe in either one?

So after we've seen 3/4 of a season with these guys... still believe in either one?
I'd take Patton ahead of Boyce today. He seemed to be making more waves early in the season and his quiet campaign is attributable to injuries as much as anything. Boldin is ANCIENT and Crabtree hasn't exactly been the most durable/consistent performer throughout his NFL career, so I think there's plenty of opportunity there. In fact, he seems like a good bet to snatch Boldin's role eventually. Of course that can be blown up if SF goes out and uses a 1st-2nd round pick on a WR in the next year or two, but for now there is a clear path to relevancy for him. If you can get him for a 3rd round rookie pick or maybe a late 2nd, I think he would be a reasonable gamble.

I'm disappointed by the lack of impact from Boyce. It's usually a bad sign when a rookie WR gets beaten out by another rookie WR. In this case, it's actually two rookie WRs playing ahead of him. Dobson and Thompkins. I honestly don't know that he'll ever have much FF value, but I would certainly take a cheap flyer on him in a startup draft. As you said, he's beginning to work his way onto the field. Plenty of great NFL WRs do nothing in their rookie season, so that alone isn't a huge huge deal. I think with his athletic ability and receiving skills he will at least find a way to be a contributor. He had a redshirt year at TCU and now he's getting one in the NFL. I think we'll know a lot more about him midway through next season.

Just happened to google Boyce and found this article from The Boston Herald.

Positive buzz, which is to be expected after the solid game against the Texans. Here's what I personally didn't know:

Boyce is arguably the fastest member of the Patriots. At the combine in February, he ran a 4.38 40-yard dash with a broken toe. That same toe limited him this summer and has forced him to play catchup since.
Knew he was behind coming into camp, but didn't realize that 4.38 was ran with a broken toe. Just how fast is this kid when healthy?

JFS171 said:
Just happened to google Boyce and found this article from The Boston Herald.

Positive buzz, which is to be expected after the solid game against the Texans. Here's what I personally didn't know:

Boyce is arguably the fastest member of the Patriots. At the combine in February, he ran a 4.38 40-yard dash with a broken toe. That same toe limited him this summer and has forced him to play catchup since.
Knew he was behind coming into camp, but didn't realize that 4.38 was ran with a broken toe. Just how fast is this kid when healthy?
Really fast?

Rotoworld:

Josh Boyce caught three passes for 49 yards in Week 14 against the Browns.
Boyce was targeted five times. He drew the X receiver snaps with Kenbrell Thompkins (hip) and Aaron Dobson (foot) inactive. One of Boyce's targets was picked off deep over the middle by D'Qwell Jackson. He also drew a long defensive pass interference penalty to set up Danny Amendola's game-winning one-yard touchdown. The rookie receiver has a ton of long speed and some dynasty appeal. He's not on the re-draft radar yet.

Yea, that's bad for him. Especially since there's such a strong overlap in their skill sets and styles. Thought he showed some flashes last year.

We'll see what happens with Boyce. I'm not super high on him, but it's too early to draw final conclusions.

More than anything, this trio just shows why you shouldn't try to outsmart the NFL draft process. When teams pass on guys for three+ rounds, you have to look at those prospects as longshots even if you're high on their skills.

Patton - another one bites dust with the Stevie Johnson trade to SF.
You may be right. He was borderline rosterable prior to the trade for Stevie. Own him in a couple leagues but doubt I will wait until 2015 to find out what I really have in him.

Yea, that's bad for him. Especially since there's such a strong overlap in their skill sets and styles. Thought he showed some flashes last year.

We'll see what happens with Boyce. I'm not super high on him, but it's too early to draw final conclusions.

More than anything, this trio just shows why you shouldn't try to outsmart the NFL draft process. When teams pass on guys for three+ rounds, you have to look at those prospects as longshots even if you're high on their skills.
EBF,

This is a great point, and a reminder that every year a new wave of talented and promising rookies come in looking to take jobs away from those who are already entrenched on NFL rosters. I know that late round draft surprises can emerge every year; however, the later the round that your player was selected in, the higher the probability that the competition for that player is coming sooner rather than later.

Faust

EBF,

This is a great point, and a reminder that every year a new wave of talented and promising rookies come in looking to take jobs away from those who are already entrenched on NFL rosters. I know that late round draft surprises can emerge every year; however, the later the round that your player was selected in, the higher the probability that the competition for that player is coming sooner rather than later.

Faust
This is totally true, and I firmly believe most, if not all of us believe too strongly in our own abilities to scout players. However, just because Stevie Johnson was brought in by the 49ers, does not mean that Quinton Patton is dead man walking on the team. I got talked into dropping Julius Thomas a couple year ago (by some veteran posters on this board) for many of the same reasons. They brought in a couple veterans, and Thomas was never going to see the field was the consensus. Now, I'm still searching for a TE1 in that league. If Patton and Boyce are the goods, they'll force their way onto the field.

BOSTON — It’s hard not to notice Josh Boyce during the first weeks of the Patriots’ organized team activities.

The second-year wide receiver looks bigger. He’s been a go-to target for Tom Bradyduring 11-on-11 scrimmages. The 23-year-old also looks to be leading the way during the team’s kick return drills.

There’s been plenty of chatter about Boyce of late. Will he give the Patriots a dominant kick returner? As one of the fastest players on the team, will this 2013 fourth-round pick develop into another weapon for Brady?

All the questions and expectations are welcomed by Boyce, who hopes to show the Patriots and the fans what he can do this season.

“It feels good, you know, I worked hard, so I mean it feels great,” Boyce said fromDanny Amendola’s Celebrity Waiter Night in Boston on Wednesday. “I’m healthy, so I’m just trying to do what I can for the team.”

Just when it looked like Boyce would come into his own, his rookie season was over. He earned starts in Week 14 and 15 last season and it was really the first glimpse of what Boyce could do as a receiver. Against Cleveland, he caught three passes for 49 yards, with a long of 22. The next game, against Miami, he caught four passes for 42 yards, with a long of 30.

After that, an ankle injury forced him to miss the next two games and he ended the season on injured reserve.

“It was a different experience,” Boyce said. “It was a learning experience. I learned a lot from the older guys.”

During the first two OTA sessions, that were open to the media, Boyce made multiple nice catches during scrimmages against the defense. He said that suffering the injury made him look forward to this that much more.

“Yeah, it does,” Boyce said. “It makes you a little more hungry.”
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140611-patriots-journal-healthy-boyce-ready-to-make-an-impact.ece

This one is about to take off.

I don't think he's ever going to be some kind of mega star, but he seemed like a pretty high floor prospect to me. There should be a lot of passes to go around in that offense and none of the other WRs are really imposing obstacles, so I'd at least say he represents a nice gamble as a late round dynasty flyer, which is where he's going right now.

Well I think he's a better receiver than Ginn. Even though he has good track speed and can run by corners, I would say he's more of a short-intermediate target than a pure deep threat. IMO his best asset as a receiver is how quickly he gets in/out of breaks. It's something that reports mentioned even last training camp and I've seen it mentioned about his OTA performances as well. Very sudden athlete with very little loss of momentum and speed in his routes.

Tough to think of an NFL comparison. He's kind of a unique package. Somewhat short, but strong upper body. Fast and quick, but maybe not quite as elusive as you'd expect give how smooth he is as a route runner. Some superficial similarities with Garcon and Cruz. Not as strong at the catch point as Cruz IMO. It will be interesting to see how his 2014 unfolds. The draft was quietly an up arrow for all of New England's WRs since the team didn't invest any picks at the position. I would say it's an important season for him to stake a claim to some PT and show everyone what he can do.

I may be the only one but I've been targeting Boyce as a late round WR pick. Toe injury impacted his rookie season and NE is ripe for another play maker to emerge. A potentially rewarding pick at a rock bottom price.

But, I seem to be a sucker for physical WRs of average height with good YAC potential. Actually. Boyce reminds me of another Josh - Reed, formerly of the Buffalo Bills. Reed never lived up to his potential. Maybe Boyce being in a more prolific offense...

I don't think he's ever going to be some kind of mega star, but he seemed like a pretty high floor prospect to me. There should be a lot of passes to go around in that offense and none of the other WRs are really imposing obstacles, so I'd at least say he represents a nice gamble as a late round dynasty flyer, which is where he's going right now.
i'm a little more leery of reports hyping Boyce or any other less-than-established player. boyce is taking advantage of Dobson's recovery, i guess, but then i also read glowing reports about thompkins - again! - this offseason. it's all very fluid, as situations go, right now and will be interested in what camp looks like when everyone is healthy.

I am losing what little faith I have in Josh Boyce. Talk of him being "a dominant kick returner" scares me. It tells me that he has made little impact as a wide receiver.

I am losing what little faith I have in Josh Boyce. Talk of him being "a dominant kick returner" scares me. It tells me that he has made little impact as a wide receiver.
I don't put any/much stock in what comes out of Foxboro this time of year. History says nothing will come of it, a lot of noise and nonsense come out of that place during the offseason. I base most of my Patriots eval's on what I thought of a guy coming out until he shows otherwise on Sunday.

I don't put any/much stock in what comes out of Foxboro this time of year. History says nothing will come of it, a lot of noise and nonsense come out of that place during the offseason. I base most of my Patriots eval's on what I thought of a guy coming out until he shows otherwise on Sunday.
One more week of disappointing results from Boyce and I am moving on.

it's hard to show what you can do with Ryan Mallet throwing you the ball. The same happened to him last season. I'm hoping he runs with Brady or Garopolo

it's hard to show what you can do with Ryan Mallet throwing you the ball. The same happened to him last season. I'm hoping he runs with Brady or Garopolo
Apparently the Patriots usually only keep 5 receivers. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/12/dobsons-return-puts-pressure-on-boyce-thompkins/ It coming down to him or Thompkins. I don't know if he has much appeal playing on some other team.

Apparently the Patriots usually only keep 5 receivers. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/12/dobsons-return-puts-pressure-on-boyce-thompkins/ It coming down to him or Thompkins. I don't know if he has much appeal playing on some other team.
Isn't Boyce the KR? Not sure if I buy the speculation

:lol: Mallet put a ball right on his numbers that would have been a first down last night, and it bounced off his hands like he was wearing oven mitts. He got bailed out by a D penalty. If a guy can't reliably catch he's not long for a career as a WR. Blaming Mallet won't change that.

:lol: Mallet put a ball right on his numbers that would have been a first down last night, and it bounced off his hands like he was wearing oven mitts. He got bailed out by a D penalty. If a guy can't reliably catch he's not long for a career as a WR. Blaming Mallet won't change that.
So if a WR can't catch the ball he won't last long in the NFL? You have to be kidding me. I would have never thought of that. I've been watching the two play together since he was drafted, not just one throw. Mallet sucks. He was demoted since I made that comment btw.

I hope Boyce gets cut. It's too much congestion at the WR position and he obviously can't catch the ball anyway.

boyce not lookin' too exciting --- think maybe he went wire to wire, which isn't a great sign, I don't think

they asked belichick, this week on his radio spot, if pre 4 ever influences his roster decisions and he says pretty much every year there's a guy making the club off this game.

on the flip side, this might be good for all you 53 man roster freaks, or whatever, that have been stashing the guy.

I've parted ways with Boyce in most of my leagues already. He could barely get into the game last week, which was telling. If the coaching staff rated him at all, they would've tried to get him some reps with Brady. That told me all I needed to know. Two years is enough time to make your mark.

Harper is obviously done-zo.

I still hold out some hope for Patton though. He has shown some nice flashes at times.

Users who are viewing this thread