What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (8 Viewers)

Petr Klima, former Edmonton Oiler and Detroit Red Wing forward, dies at 58. Too young for the Czech Cup winner who also played for the Lightning, Kings, and Penguins.
Sad - was a solid player that scored a huge OT goal for Edmonton in the 1990 Cup finals. Kevin Lowe said it well in that article - he was probably a bit too ahead of his time with his blend of speed and skill (minus grit) that would have translated better to today's game.

Last edited:
Petr Klima, former Edmonton Oiler and Detroit Red Wing forward, dies at 58. Too young for the Czech Cup winner who also played for the Lightning, Kings, and Penguins.
Sad - was a solid player that scored a huge OT goal for Edmonton in the 1990 Cup finals. Kevin Lowe said it well in that article - he was probably a bit too ahead of his time with his blend of speed and skill that would have translated better to today's game.
The first live hockey game I ever saw was when he played for the Red Wings. He was definitely the fastest player on the ice.

Jacklyn Zeman

She's been on General Hospital since the Jimmy Carter administration, which was when I first saw her--my babysitter was a huge fan. Then years after that most of my college dorm would be parked in front of the TV in the lounge after class, watching the show. And not too long ago, I came home early from jury duty and clicked on GH for the first time in ages, and there she still was.

Soap opera characters connect to people in a deep and long lasting way.

Jacklyn Zeman

She's been on General Hospital since the Jimmy Carter administration, which was when I first saw her--my babysitter was a huge fan. Then years after that most of my college dorm would be parked in front of the TV in the lounge after class, watching the show. And not too long ago, I came home early from jury duty and clicked on GH for the first time in ages, and there she still was.

I never really watched GH, but I remember her guest appearing/playing on several game shows back in the day. RIP

Jacklyn Zeman

I watched GH while in college in the 80s and I had a small crush on her.

I just learned today that Ahmad Jamal passed on April 16th at age 92. He was a great jazz pianist, as well as an arranger, composer and band leader. He liked working with a Trio, and they have often been cited for their unique and innovated style. His best known and most influential album is his live trio recording At the Pershing: But Not for Me, which he recorded with bassist Israel Crosby and drummer Vernel Fournier. Miles Davis once said of Jamal, “All my inspiration comes from Ahmad Jamal," also adding that he "knocked me out with his concept of space, his lightness of touch, and the way he phrases notes and chords and passages.” RIP AJ 🎹

Doyle Brunson :crying:

This is one of those guys where I was always shocked he was still alive. Between being overweight and spending hours on his butt at the table I never thought he'd make it this long. I know he did lose a bunch of weight at some point though. What a run, what a life. I had purchased Super System at one point.

Doyle Brunson was in his 80s and was STILL considered one of the best poker players in the world. It was so cool to watch Doyle own Phil Hellmuth in cash games. His play was just on a different level. Poker would not be where it is today without the Godfather himself.

RIP

Doyle Brunson :crying:

Was just watching him in a cash game this past week and told my wife who he was. Probably a taped episode but it was fairly recent.
Seriously. I just told my daughter the same thing watching the episode Saturday night.
That might well have been it.

Doyle Brunson was in his 80s and was STILL considered one of the best poker players in the world. It was so cool to watch Doyle own Phil Hellmuth in cash games. His play was just on a different level.
Doyle wrote about the times he would sit down in a no limit hold'em game, and just dominate the game for hours --- without ever looking at his own cards.
He just played the man and his position and that's all he needed.

Dr Timothy Keller, 72, founder of Redeemer Presbyterian Church (NYC)

It is with a heavy heart that I write today to inform you that Redeemer Presbyterian Church founder and long-time senior pastor, Tim Keller, passed away this morning at age 72, trusting in the sure and certain hope of the resurrection. We are forever grateful for his leadership, heart, and dedication to sharing the love of Christ with others. While we will miss his presence here, we know he is rejoicing with his Savior in heaven.

Tim loved what he did. He loved interacting with Redeemer congregants and global ministry leaders alike. He delighted in communicating the profound wonder and transforming power of the gospel of grace. He would quickly disarm you and brush away your addressing him as Dr. Keller. “Just Tim, please.” The life I witnessed was rooted in his identity as a beloved child of God.

There was no dissonance between the man you saw publicly and the man you witnessed privately. When asked how he wanted to be remembered, he would say that he didn’t think a lot about legacy, and then reference something Martin Lloyd Jones said about his name being written in the Lamb's book of life. And he might on occasion say, “I do hope my grandchildren remember me.”

Tim is my pastor.

There will never be another like him and we will all miss him.

When he and his wife came here in 1989, NYC was the least churched major city in the U.S. They planted a church with 50 people that grew to over 5,000 across four locations, and over three decades planted 50+ churches in the five boroughs.

Dr Keller is widely regarded as a brilliant yet accessible author, the preeminent reformed theologian of his generation. His trademark humility and self-deprecating humor did not change as his stature grew.

He was a truly great man who never lost sight of this truth: knowledge puffs up, love edifies.

Wikipedia biography

I am profoundly saddened by his passing, even though we’ve know for three years he had inoperable pancreatic cancer. I saw him last month at a charity auction for our nonprofit; though weakened he was chipper and gracious as always. I so admired his calm dignity in approaching end of life.

Dr Keller authored more than 30 books on a variety of topics and biblical studies. He wrote with an uncommon clarity that was appealing to both Bible nerds and neophytes. In person, he was exceedingly kind to everyone he met, an attentive, nonjudgmental listener, and a thoughtful man who had strong opinions delivered with disarming gentleness.

My world was made better having him in my life. My city is better for him having impacted it in a positive manner. He was a good and faithful servant, and I am so happy he is now with his redeemer.

What a legacy. A life well lived. I will miss him so.

edit - typo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread