What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (7 Viewers)

Jim Brown is the greatest RB ever. Played 9 years and got out on top. Never missed a game and delivered as much punishment to defenders as anyone (except possibly Earl Campbell), Barry is #2 and Walter #3 (also RIP).

He was probably the greatest lacrosse player of all-time as well. Also, he was not only the greatest RB of all time, he was the greatest football player of all time. I was just beginning as an NFL fan at 6 when he retired in 1965, so I don't remember him playing. I wish he would have played a couple of more years.

Loved Jim Brown in Mars Attacks. Legendary athlete and good actor imo.
Anyone else remember that Richard Pryor concert after he nearly burned himself up freebasing? He made references to conversations with Jim Brown, "What you gonna do?". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS95ZWq1Ais&ab_channel=WEEMUSSTUDIO2022©
Also ironic that on this same day 2 years ago Paul Mooney died. He was Richard Pryor's best friend and most influential material writer.

PS. Shout out to Brother Malcolm today, too :)

I was talking about him with a co-worker today before his death was announced, and I said 'isn't he dead?' News of his death broke a few hours later. Was involved in a similar conversation back in November when Gallagher died.

I think I've discovered my superpower.

I was talking about him with a co-worker today before his death was announced, and I said 'isn't he dead?' News of his death broke a few hours later. Was involved in a similar conversation back in November when Gallagher died.

Spooky

Can I PM you a few names to bandy about at the water cooler for Monday?

I was thinking about starting with @Long Ball Larry ; he's being mean to me in the Buddhist proselytizer thread, but I guess doing that in a thread about karma is bad optics.

I was thinking about starting with @Long Ball Larry ; he's being mean to me in the Buddhist proselytizer thread, but I guess doing that in a thread about karma is bad optics.
How dare you

How dare you
Laugh while you can, monkey boy.

People on the Twitterz are saying that Jets safety Chuck Clark has died, but apparently it is a very vocal Ravens fan also named Chuck Clark. :shrug:

People on the Twitterz are saying that Jets safety Chuck Clark has died, but apparently it is a very vocal Ravens fan also named Chuck Clark. :shrug:
There was an apparent bridge jumper last night on On Patrol Live. Wilkes-Barre , PA officer thought he saw someone jump from a bridge but they couldn’t immediately located them. They had a fire dept search and rescue boat put in very shortly after but the show ended before anything was resolved. Wonder if this is the same individual.

Richard "Rick" Hoyt, 61 - completed many endurance races and triathlons with his father Richard "****" Hoyt.
What an inspirational family.

Amazing what that dad did for his son.
this one hits me i remember watching these guys running the race way back in the 80s i believe on a flip the channel yourself black and white and it inspiring the hell out of me back then they were both inspiring and this one hits me take that to the bank brohans

In 1982, Dire Straits released the album Love Over Gold ... According to the book My Life in Dire Straits, Knopfler wrote a song called “Private Dancer.” [Dire Straits' bassist] John Illsley explained why “Private Dancer” was excluded from Love Over Gold.

“One song that didn’t make it on to the album in the end was ‘Private Dancer,’ mainly because, Mark rightly decided, it should be sung by a woman,” Illsley wrote. “The lines ‘I’m your private dancer, a dancer for money, I’ll do what you want me to do’ just didn’t sound right coming from Mark’s mouth! He ended up giving it to Tina Turner — with spectacular results.”

Illsley said Knopfler gave “Private Dancer” to Turner. “In gratitude for the song, Tina had asked the band to put down the recording with her in a north London studio, and it was a joy to spend the day with her,” Illsley remembered. “It’s unlikely you’ll meet a lovelier woman on the music scene, and her infectious enthusiasm is all the more impressive with all the suffering she has endured in her private life.” Illsley said Turner’s vocal performance on the song was incredible ... Illsley said the members of Dire Straits were happy when the song became a massive hit for Turner.

Bryan Adams
@bryanadams

RIP @tinaturner The world just lost one hell of a powerhouse woman. I'll be forever grateful for the time we spent together on tour, in the studio and as friends. Thank you for being the inspiration to millions of people around the world for speaking your truth and giving us the gift of your incredible voice. My condolences to her husband Erwin and Tina's family.
It's Only Love...and that's all. #tinaturner

When Mick Jagger talks about Turner helping him as a young singer ... wow. How big is Tina Turner's stamp on music?

Mick Jagger
@MickJagger

I’m so saddened by the passing of my wonderful friend Tina Turner. She was truly an enormously talented performer and singer. She was inspiring, warm, funny and generous. She helped me so much when I was young and I will never forget her.

Lots of Twitter tributes at these two links. Turner's passing is personal to so many performers from so many genres.

EDIT: Geezer Butler from Sabbath (!)
Sad to hear of Tina Turner passing. I saw her on her first major tour, supporting The Rolling Stones at Birmingham Odeon on 1966 & became an instant fan. RIP

Both a fun and touching moment: Shortly before the 1986 Prince's Trust All-Star Concert in Wembley Arena, a large contingent of British rock-&-roll royalty + more jockeyed to get into a large group photo with Tina Turner. Later, a popular poster was made of one of the photos. I wish we could post photos here, but here's a link.

Let's see who's in that shot -- most are easy, but there's a few I'm blanking on.

Back row, left to right:
Mark King (Level 42)
[Guy in shades?] EDIT: Ray Cooper, Elton John's touring drummer
Bryan Adams

[Guy in white jacket?] EDIT: Midge Ure (Ultravox)
[Guy in black jacket & blue shirt, Brian May haircut?] EDIT: John Illsley (Dire Straits)
Joan Armatrading
Paul Young

[Guy in black T-shirt with white writing on it, looks super-familiar?] EDIT: Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)

Middle row, left to right:
[Guy in gray suit & tie?] EDIT: Francis Rossi (Status Quo)
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Front row, left to right:
Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney
Tina Turner
Phil Collins

[Guy in baggy brown suit?] EDIT: This is Howard Jones

Last edited:
Tina Turner

Aw, man. What a life.

One of a kind.

Both a fun and touching moment: Shortly before the 1986 Prince's Trust All-Star Concert in Wembley Arena, a large contingent of British rock-&-roll royalty + more jockeyed to get into a large group photo with Tina Turner. Later, a popular poster was made of one of the photos. I wish we could post photos here, but here's a link.

Let's see who's in that shot -- most are easy, but there's a few I'm blanking on.

Back row, left to right:
Mark King (Level 42)
[Guy in shades?]
Bryan Adams
[Guy in white jacket?]
[Guy in black jacket & blue shirt, Brian May haircut?]
Joan Armatrading
Paul Young

[Guy in black T-shirt with white writing on it, looks super-familiar?]

[Guy in gray suit & tie?]
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney
Tina Turner
Phil Collins

[Guy in baggy brown suit?]
The guy in the baggy brown suit next to Phil is Howard Jones. He sang “No One Is to Blame”. Link

Imma spitball and say David Coverdale could be top right.

Back row, left to right:
Mark King (Level 42)
[Guy in shades?] EDIT: Ray Cooper, Elton John's touring drummer
Bryan Adams

[Guy in white jacket?] EDIT: Midge Ure (Ultravox)
[Guy in black jacket & blue shirt, Brian May haircut?] EDIT: John Illsley (Dire Straits)
Joan Armatrading
Paul Young

[Guy in black T-shirt with white writing on it, looks super-familiar?] EDIT: Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)

[Guy in gray suit & tie?] EDIT: Francis Rossi (Status Quo)
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney
Tina Turner
Phil Collins

[Guy in baggy brown suit?] EDIT: This is Howard Jones
I've always been fascinated by true "game recognize game" moments, like the 1999 MLB All-Star Game -- when all of the all-stars jockeyed to be near Ted Williams -- or the SNL 40th anniversary after party, when no one else could possibly follow Prince's performance.

I'm sure the hardships she endured had something to do with it. but Turner was that rare musician who had near 100% approval from critics, the public, and her fellow musicians

Ray Stevenson rip

I loved this guy. First saw him in Rome on hbo and then as black beard on black sails. Great actor and I'm gonna miss him. 58? Way too young wtf! 13 brother!

Users who are viewing this thread