What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (3 Viewers)

That is awful. Love Mark Lanegan. Thought he did great work with the Screaming Trees (even though he was dismisses of them) and had a terrific solo career (& was also cool in the Queens of the Stone Age for a bit & sung on a couple of songs on the Mad Season album.)  Great career even if under the radar compared to some of his contemporaries. 

His solo stuff isn't for everyone but man could he evoke emotions. Really bummed about this. Definitely had a lot of demons. 

Like Little Willie John is one of my faves. 

mark lanegan  @marklanegan

1h

Our beloved friend Mark Lanegan passed away this morning at his home in Killarney, Ireland.  A beloved singer, songwriter, author and musician he was 57 and is survived by his wife Shelley.  No other information is available at this time. We ask Please respect the family privacy
Damn, what a ###### day.

Mark Lanegan made a METRIC #### TON of great music

Recommend his autobiography Sing Backwards and Weep.. I think he has a second book out that I'll have to read

Music autobiographies this good are not easy to find IMO -- and granted it is mostly miserable #### but well spun and what a cast of characters

As for music, so much to get into - even up to his most recent stuff, very good.. -  but today I am feeling his first solo record The Winding Sheet

See ya later then Dark Mark you hot mess

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad to hear about Mark Lanegan, had been meaning to see him the past few years, Covid obviously didn't help with that but never got to see him live.  

Definitely one of the better singers to come out of the Seattle scene, are we just down to Eddie Vedder at this point?

Edit: Buzz from the Melvins still going strong as well, although I don't put him in the same class as Lanegan.  Will see them again for sure though, Melvins are great

are we just down to Eddie Vedder at this point?
Mark Arm of Green River and Mudhoney is still alive. 

Lanegan and Brooker, two of the best vocalists in rock history, on the same day? FML

I saw Screaming Trees three times (1992, 1993 and 1996) and they were a personal favorite, an immensely talented band that should have had massive success. Lanegan's solo stuff wasn't always my cup of tea, but he did what he did exquisitely. I know he had a rough life and I'm glad he made it as long as he did. 

Lanegan hits me pretty hard.  I'm a HUGE Trees fan.  Most underappreciated band from the grunge scene. 

He was a tortured soul.  Rest easy Mark...

Loved they had KV to [p]lay himself.

My favorite hilarious childhood memory was  my (bless-her-heart) clueless Aunt Pauline unwittingly exposing me to postmodernism. She no idea what an 11 y.o. might like, but the bright Wheaties-colors book cover & title led her to conclude Breakfast of Champions must be a book about sports. Happiest accident of my life; she unintentionally had a profound impact, changing my worldview.

ASIDE - the author had a wild ride during WWII. If you don’t know the story look up his Wiki page.

BobbyLayne said:
She no idea what an 11 y.o. might like, but the bright Wheaties-colors book cover & title led her to conclude Breakfast of Champions must be a book about sports.
Oopsie.  That's wonderful.

I seem to recall a picture of a beaver in there.  I take it she didn't really look too closely?

Some notables (to me) who passed on this date in history:

1892 Louis Vuitton, French founder of the Louis Vuitton brand of leather goods now owned by LVMH, dies at 70

Ivan Pavlov
1936 Ivan Pavlov, Russian physiologist and pioneer in psychology (Nobel Prize 1904), dies at 86

1968 - 
25 year old Frankie Lymon, lead singer of The Teenagers, died of a heroin overdose in his grandmother's New York home. Lymon was on leave from a Georgia Army post at the time and was scheduled to record for Roulette Records the next day. He first hit the national charts in 1956 when he was just 13 with 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love'.

1993 Lillian Gish, American silent film/stage actress (Birth of a Nation), dies at 99
I used to drive on Lillian Gish Boulevard every day while working in Massillon, Oh for 2.5 years.  Many great roles including 'The Night of the Hunter'.

1996 Vic Janowicz, American College Football Hall of Fame halfback (Heisman Trophy 1950, Ohio State; NFL: Washington Redskins), dies of cancer at 66

2003 Fred Rogers, American children's TV host (Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood) dies at age 74

2011 Duke Snider, American Baseball Hall of Fame outfielder (8 x MLB All Star; World Series 1955, 59; Brooklyn / LA Dodgers), dies at 84

2015 Leonard Nimoy, American actor (Spock-Star Trek, Mission Impossible), dies of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at 83

2016 George Kennedy, American actor (Cool Hand Luke, Naked Gun films), dies at 91

William Hurt.

This was the guy. William Hurt was my generational proxy, the guy who spoke for me & mine. Common, cocky, cagey, just crazy enough. Half a wiseass, half a hero, half a loser, all mensch. Not a raw, unconsidered molecule in his body, not a wasted thought in his mind, not a feeling he couldnt handle. The first of a breed. Yeah, the world worked for 10,000 years to put me in this spot right now - wtf am i supposed to do with that?! Sumn cool, i guess - a shrug & a smile & a daring stare into the future afterwards. Thanks, my man. RIP -

Not a raw, unconsidered molecule in his body, not a wasted thought in his mind, not a feeling he couldnt handle.
My favorite moment of his is in Broadcast News when he and Albert Brooks are sparring about journalism credentials and Brooks drops the trick question on the number of Supreme Court justices. When the punchlines comes, Hurt's head drops, his shoulders droop, and he deflates like a balloon. 

In that single second of reaction, Hurt conveyed it all. 

My favorite moment of his is in Broadcast News when he and Albert Brooks are sparring about journalism credentials and Brooks drops the trick question on the number of Supreme Court justices. When the punchlines comes, Hurt's head drops, his shoulders droop, and he deflates like a balloon. 

In that single second of reaction, Hurt conveyed it all. 

Perfect encapsulation of his acting prowess.  One of my favorites for his subtlety and ability to convey complex emotions without saying a word.

This death is a shock and getting to me a bit.  I think he was my first crush on an "adult," based on the combo of Broadcast News and The Accidental Tourist.  I'd had schoolgirl crushes on teenybopper guys in bands, but Hurt was a fully formed adult male, and I remember it being a breakthrough to be attracted to someone not because he was "cute" but because of a presence that was much more mature and well-rounded.  I've always had a special place in my heart and memories for him.  

Overlooked in this recent spate of passings is Mitchell Ryan. Mostly a character actor, he did have a few higher-profile roles, including General McAllister in Lethal Weapon.  My favorite moment of his career, however, was as Mr. Newberry in Grosse Pointe Blank:

Mr. Newberry: I visualized you in a haze as one of those slacker, flannel-wearing, coffee-house misanthropes I've been seeing in Newsweek.

Martin: No, no, no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with lead-pipe cruelty, mercenary sensibility. You know... sport sex, no real relationships. How about you, how have the years been treating you?

Mr. Newberry: Well, you know me, Martin; still the same old sell-out, exploiting the oppressed...

Martin: Sure.

Mr. Newberry: "Oh what a piece of work is man, how noble..." Oh #### it, let's have a drink and forget the whole damn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread