What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (8 Viewers)

Overlooked in this recent spate of passings is Mitchell Ryan. Mostly a character actor, he did have a few higher-profile roles, including General McAllister in Lethal Weapon.  My favorite moment of his career, however, was as Mr. Newberry in Grosse Pointe Blank:

Mr. Newberry: I visualized you in a haze as one of those slacker, flannel-wearing, coffee-house misanthropes I've been seeing in Newsweek.

Martin: No, no, no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with lead-pipe cruelty, mercenary sensibility. You know... sport sex, no real relationships. How about you, how have the years been treating you?

Mr. Newberry: Well, you know me, Martin; still the same old sell-out, exploiting the oppressed...

Martin: Sure.

Mr. Newberry: "Oh what a piece of work is man, how noble..." Oh #### it, let's have a drink and forget the whole damn thing.
Some of us dorks might also remember him as Will Riker‘s father on Star Trek: TNG.

My favorite moment of his is in Broadcast News when he and Albert Brooks are sparring about journalism credentials and Brooks drops the trick question on the number of Supreme Court justices. When the punchlines comes, Hurt's head drops, his shoulders droop, and he deflates like a balloon. 

In that single second of reaction, Hurt conveyed it all. 

Cabinet positions.  I know because I watched this movie for the first time last night. :bag:

Great film.  Holly Hunter in her prime was just a force.  Really enjoyed this movie.

Clayton was just 67 and nothing I read suggested he was sick for any length of time.  In fact, a buddy from another board said he heard him on a local (Seattle) radio station just days before passing, chatting about football.  :shrug:    Makes me contemplate my own mortality as a not-so-healthy kinda guy in his late 40's.  :(  

I caught up recently with a kid I grew up (elementary & Jr high)... gave me the run down on a bunch of kids from home- most of them from rough backgrounds.

I asked specifically about my buddy Todd, who was a goof and a good kid- but single mom who did what she had to (prostitute/drugs) leaving Todd with next to zero parental support and almost nowhere and no time to sleep. Hadn't seen him since 8th grade, but have often wondered about him... my buddy told me he'd been in and out of the justice system, but had settled down recently.... and just died last year (52) from Covid. 

RIP Todd Harris- you were a good dude and deserved better across the board.

Sad news about Taylor Hawkins for sure.  He was a helluva drummer, and always looked like he was having an absolute blast on stage. R.I.P. 

Shoot going to see them in May. Its never gonna be the same. RIP to Taylor. So sad for his family andthe band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot going to see them in May. Its never gonna be the same. RIP to Taylor. So sad for his family andthe band.

Was just going to post the same thing, my wife and I have tickets to see them in July.  He was a huge part of the chemistry of the band and it will never be the same.  Leaves behind 3 kids and a wife, just terrible.  Seeing all the tributes to him on Twitter from those in the rock world, and they all say the same thing...just a honestly great, well-liked guy, and a hell of a drummer.  

RIP, Hawk. Thanks for the music. 

:sadbanana:

The Foo are my favorite post-80's band. He was as much the band as Grohl.
Agreed.  Probably the best, most enjoyable interplay between a drummer and front man/guitar player that we've ever seen in the rock world. I'm sure they will go on as a band, but it will never be the same. 

:sadbanana:

The Foo are my favorite post-80's band. He was as much the band as Grohl.
Yeah...been my favorite with a while...was just talking about this with my son who was at a friends last night.  That one bummed him out too as its one of the older bands he really likes vs most of his pretty newer strange music.  He and Grohl work so well together...you can see that mutual respect and admiration when they play.  Going to rewatch the 2008 Wembley show again tonight.

Also...how have they never been asked to do Super Bowl halftime  (or have they and they declined...I could see that).  They would absolutely kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh.

will echo the sentiments across the board- seemed like a GENUINELY good dude (a gb of mine worked on their recent Studio 666 film and said he couldn't have been any nicer), and obviously an insanely talented guy who just looked like he flat out loved and got nothing but joy from playing. :(

Yeah...been my favorite with a while...was just talking about this with my son who was at a friends last night.  That one bummed him out too as its one of the older bands he really likes vs most of his pretty newer strange music.  He and Grohl work so well together...you can see that mutual respect and admiration when they play.  Going to rewatch the 2008 Wembley show again tonight.

Also...how have they never been asked to do Super Bowl halftime  (or have they and they declined...I could see that).  They would absolutely kill it.

DAVE GROHL EXPLAINS WHY FOO FIGHTERS HAVE NEVER PLAYED SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW

Dave Lifton

Published: September 24, 2018

With the Foo Fighters' massive popularity and stadium-friendly songs, you'd think it would be a natural fit for them to perform during the Super Bowl halftime show. They haven't. But as Dave Grohl explained, it's not because nobody on either side is against the idea.

“I’ve had multiple conversations over the years with them where they say, ‘We want to have a rock 'n' roll band. Do you think you could do it? Do you think you could do a stadium?'" Grohl recalled during an 2018 interview at Los Angeles radio station KROQ. "I was like, ‘Yeah man, we do it all the time.' We’re like, ‘Oh my God, I think we’re gonna do the Super Bowl!’ And then it’ll be, like, Madonna or Katy Perry or somebody like that.”

After having come so close on several occasions, Grohl may have sunk any future chances when he accidentally revealed some sour grapes to the wrong person one night. “I actually got really hammered at this party in France once and got to meet the dude that does the Super Bowl thing, and I was like, ‘I don’t even want to do the Super Bowl!’” he said. “I used to want to do it. Now I don’t want to do it anymore!’”

From the outside, the 2021 Super Bowl seems like it would have been a natural fit for the Foos. The band's new album, Medicine at Midnight, arrived two days before the big game. It's a milestone of sorts, as the LP marks the tenth studio album of the band's impressive career.

Still, producers in change of the halftime show decided to go another direction: Pop star The Weeknd is headlining the event.

-------------------------------
Agree they would be an excellent choice. 

Besides all the great work, the thing i most remember about Taylor Hawkins is when FF brought that 11yo girl out to drum Everlong at an encore at the Forum. She took a bow with the band, they walked off, she didnt wanna walk off. Hawkins saw that and, though, he'd already thrown all his drumsticks to the crowd, he went and got some more sticks and had her throw some out to the crowd so she could have another moment. She followed him like a baby duck off the stage after that. RIP -

Big Fan of Foos, have seen them play live countless time, just finished Grohl's book. Love the story of Grohl and how he was able to come back to music after the loss of Cobain. I have no idea how he can handle the loss of not only his bandmate but brother in every sense of the word. 

Met Taylor once and have a great picture with him and my best friend from High School. We were hanging out at a bar on Catalina and I spotted Hawkins playing hook & ring toss with some youngsters. Went back to the table after getting a round and told everyone that Taylor Hawkins was right over there!!! A few minutes later he comes walking by the table and everyone recognizes him and starts chatting him up. He stopped and talked to us for a little bit and then leaned into a selfie for us. Just a cool, sweet, genuine person. So Sad Rest In Peace & Percussion🙏

Users who are viewing this thread