What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A New Car! (help me choose a sedan) (1 Viewer)

Quick background, I’m a car guy through and through.  It’s one of the things I’m truly passionate about and in too.....

With that said I did a ton of research and shopping around with my last purchase.  I had many of the same needs you listed so drove most of the cars you threw out there.  I ended up going with a 2012 (bought it 3 years ago) Audi A6 3.0T.  

I absolutely love the car.  I drive any where between 100 to 200 miles a day (I’m a regional manger so do lots of driving between properties) and honestly couldn’t  ask anything more from the car.  It’s comfortable, quite, has some balls from the supercharged V6, gets solid MPG (26 on average) and is fun to drive.  I highly recommend giving one a look.   

Good luck in your search.  

Love the finish and styling of Audis.

I have an A4. It's been a great car. The back seat has non existent leg room. Think the A6 has a bit more leg room back there.

Wife got the Q3 (mini SUV thing) a little over a year ago. It's a fairly new make and there have been some minor issues that she had to deal with (moonroof had an issue). Also a great car to ride in though.
The size is the reason I choose the A6 over the A4.  I have a 2 yr old and needed the car seat room, the A4 look pretty tight.  No issues with the 6, plenty of room. 

Update: test driving a 2016 Lexus ES with about 20k miles on it tomorrow.  Got the flu and couldn't hit the Phoenix dealership but a local Toyota dealer just got this in.  They're offering it for about 29k.  I'm about annoyed with my Jetta trade in because they're only offering me $500.  

Is it best to attack the sale price or the trade in price? 

Update: test driving a 2016 Lexus ES with about 20k miles on it tomorrow.  Got the flu and couldn't hit the Phoenix dealership but a local Toyota dealer just got this in.  They're offering it for about 29k.  I'm about annoyed with my Jetta trade in because they're only offering me $500.  

sell it yourself - its worth it ...unless you hate money.

And I would highly suggest buying CPO. TOYOTA won't warrantee that Lexus.  Take your time. I found a 16 with 14k miles on it, fully loaded, CPO.   and either sell the Jetta yourself, or don't give a ####. It's old as hell and has 2 million miles on it.  

I found that the internet price was pretty much bare bones for them on used cars. I chiseled them for a few hundred. Mostly because I told my sales guy. This is what I'll pay, go #### yourself if you won't make it work. Rolled in and he said, I got you what you wanted, sign here.

I have owned almost every car brand out there.  My last several cars have been a Mercedes S500, Mercedes R500, Lincoln MKT, VW Phaeton W12, Jaguar XJ12.  I have owned BMW's, Lexus (the first LS) Infiniti, Cadillac, etc.   Presently we have a Audi Q7 and a Genesis G90 ultimate.   I bought the Genesis about 15 months ago and it was one of the first delivered into the mid west.   I had narrowed it down to the BMW 750ix and the Genesis G90.  It was a pretty easy choice in the end due to the comfort and dollar differences.   But next to my old VW Phaeton the Genesis has quickly become one of my favorite cars.   It has a great ride and the quietest car I have ever owned,  The V8 has very good but not great power, all wheel drive works great in our Colorado weather, handles beautifully, the interior is extremely comfortable and good looking, good infotainment system, biggest bonus is a real full sized trunk that will fit 4 sets of golf clubs.  I have no complaints about the car at all, well maybe a dual turbo added to the V8 would be nice. But it even gets over 20 mpg around town and up to 30 mpg when cruising the the highways.  So as I get older I can live with a little less pure power.  Though the Genesis will easily jump from 75 to over 100 in a blink when I need to do some serious highway vehicle passing.    I did get a Genesis G80 loaner when my car was in for standard service items and it was much more sporty and responsive at the throttle. Not sure which model it was but it was nice, just didn't have the high end finish, room,comfort or quiet of the G90.  I think I have a pretty good feel for the Genesis G90 now and expect it to age well and not give me any real issues down the road.  But that is yet to be determined as with any new model or franchise.  But I have never regretted any of my early new brand and model luxury vehicle adoptions including one of the first Lexus LS 400,  the Infiniti Q45, the VW Phaeton and now the Genesis G90.  Unlike most car buyers I tend to keep mine for 5 to 7 years or even more and so reliability and maintenance costs are always a factor for me.   It's one of the reasons I didn't get the BMW or the Mercedes again. Or even consider the Cadillac or Lincoln a second time.  But if I would have liked the new Lexus's that would have been fine, and if VW/Audi would have had a trunk with any space I could have done that again, same with the Jaq.  But maybe I just had better luck and good vehicles in those brands versus the other brands.  

Anyway just wanted to say the Genesis is a very good car to consider.  I can recommend with confidence.   This coming from a bit of a car snob and someone who loves to drive.        

Just purchased a 2018 Toyota Camry SE. Beautiful car. Getting it delivered tomorrow!

Ended up leasing it absolutely nothing down for 290/ month
I've been eyeing this for 2018 as well.

Let us know how the infotainment system is, and if it's easy to pair with your phone.

We're probably getting a bit spoiled with all the great tech that comes standard in cars. I have a checklist of must-haves for my next vehicle, even though my current car has none of those items and I get along fine without them.
Agreed. I got a 2 year old nice car from Carmax last summer and it has all the bells and whistles and I don’t think I could go back. As you said things I could do without but really like. Auto mirror folding, auto wipers, Bluetooth (works fantastic), GPS, mirrors point downward in reverse, parking sensors in front and back and backup camera. I use them all and love them but if I had to make do without it wouldn’t be hard. 

I have owned almost every car brand out there.  My last several cars have been a Mercedes S500, Mercedes R500, Lincoln MKT, VW Phaeton W12, Jaguar XJ12.  I have owned BMW's, Lexus (the first LS) Infiniti, Cadillac, etc.   Presently we have a Audi Q7 and a Genesis G90 ultimate.   I bought the Genesis about 15 months ago and it was one of the first delivered into the mid west.   I had narrowed it down to the BMW 750ix and the Genesis G90.  It was a pretty easy choice in the end due to the comfort and dollar differences.   But next to my old VW Phaeton the Genesis has quickly become one of my favorite cars.   It has a great ride and the quietest car I have ever owned,  The V8 has very good but not great power, all wheel drive works great in our Colorado weather, handles beautifully, the interior is extremely comfortable and good looking, good infotainment system, biggest bonus is a real full sized trunk that will fit 4 sets of golf clubs.  I have no complaints about the car at all, well maybe a dual turbo added to the V8 would be nice. But it even gets over 20 mpg around town and up to 30 mpg when cruising the the highways.  So as I get older I can live with a little less pure power.  Though the Genesis will easily jump from 75 to over 100 in a blink when I need to do some serious highway vehicle passing.    I did get a Genesis G80 loaner when my car was in for standard service items and it was much more sporty and responsive at the throttle. Not sure which model it was but it was nice, just didn't have the high end finish, room,comfort or quiet of the G90.  I think I have a pretty good feel for the Genesis G90 now and expect it to age well and not give me any real issues down the road.  But that is yet to be determined as with any new model or franchise.  But I have never regretted any of my early new brand and model luxury vehicle adoptions including one of the first Lexus LS 400,  the Infiniti Q45, the VW Phaeton and now the Genesis G90.  Unlike most car buyers I tend to keep mine for 5 to 7 years or even more and so reliability and maintenance costs are always a factor for me.   It's one of the reasons I didn't get the BMW or the Mercedes again. Or even consider the Cadillac or Lincoln a second time.  But if I would have liked the new Lexus's that would have been fine, and if VW/Audi would have had a trunk with any space I could have done that again, same with the Jaq.  But maybe I just had better luck and good vehicles in those brands versus the other brands.  

Anyway just wanted to say the Genesis is a very good car to consider.  I can recommend with confidence.   This coming from a bit of a car snob and someone who loves to drive.        
I’m likely going to get a G90 off lease. I just can’t stomach the  depreciation genesis brand has. It’s lik 42% in 2years. I’ve spoken to a few owners of them and they all love the car. Plus maintenance seems to be very low compared to Mercedes or BMW. It’s just sad however that they don’t have the brand recognition of the higher in luxury sedans that it competes with. However this is a good thing for me. 

All the reviews I’ve read for this car are also very positive.

Genesis G90 on an Off lease deal would be a great buy.  I was able to get my G90 ultimate for about $65,000 or $9000 off sticker. The local dealer actually wanted $12,000 more than I paid buying out of state.  Just a great deal on a brand new product to market. But if you can get a low mileage off lease for mid 40's or so, that would be smoking.  With the 36,000 mile full maintenance deal and the 100,000 bumper to bumper it is hard to go wrong.  I prefer that it doesn't have the big name or look recognition factor.  People come up to me and ask about it all the time.  Plus it drives my status conscious friends mad when everyone prefers riding in my car versus theirs and then they like the overall styling and interior better as well.  But of course I would never remind them that I paid $60,000 less then they did. I'm sure at least two friends will be changing their old BMW 750 and Jaq XJ to a new G90 when the time comes.   Also I would think the buyers of the G90 will take good care of it as well with the manufacture free maintenance package, so it will make a great used car to buy.  Though once it gets market traction the prices will rise the way it did with the Lexus.  But for now it's just a great price for a great car. 

like I said, I got a 2014 328i with 22k miles for $26k+.  I added 2 years more years of maintenance, but still came in under $30k.

Pre-owned financing for me was 1.9% for 60 mumfs............I take a longer loan, but always prepay.  I put down some cash and credit card money and my loan is around $350- monthly, but I pay $500-.  Just goy my first maintenance done, oil change, new wipers, no charge.
Chodemobile still running?

Oops.  Guy at my gym runs the pre-owned lot locally for Toyota.  Got in a 2016 Lexus ES 350 off a two year lease with 26k miles.  Bought it a few weeks ago. 
You leased a used car?  Did it come with a free Lexus of Scottsdale mesh hat?

If not, pretty sure you got robbed. 

Oops.  Guy at my gym runs the pre-owned lot locally for Toyota.  Got in a 2016 Lexus ES 350 off a two year lease with 26k miles.  Bought it a few weeks ago. 
How much did you pay Copernicus? 

Let's play a who's closest game with Zow providing a pick of him behind the wheel holding a sign that says "Hyundai's suck"

I'll guess $32.5k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toyota Avalon - very close to the larger Lexus but a lot less.  

Quiet, heavy but good handling, lots of power.  Sweet interior.  
I am considering a job change in 2019 that will require a lot of highway driving. With that in mind I am looking for a new car that I will be using for my highway miles.

We have had a Camry for years and it has been by far the best car we have owned in our nearly 25 years of marriage. I figured I would be getting a Camry but have recently been looking into the Avalon. It looks like a slightly bigger and perhaps a little more plush version of the Camry. Is that accurate? 

I have seen several Avalon’s  with under 30,000 miles on them for under $20K, just a little more $ than Camry’s with the same mileage. I am thinking the extra road comfort might be worth the extra $1K(ish)? Thoughts? 

I am considering a job change in 2019 that will require a lot of highway driving. With that in mind I am looking for a new car that I will be using for my highway miles.

We have had a Camry for years and it has been by far the best car we have owned in our nearly 25 years of marriage. I figured I would be getting a Camry but have recently been looking into the Avalon. It looks like a slightly bigger and perhaps a little more plush version of the Camry. Is that accurate? 

I have seen several Avalon’s  with under 30,000 miles on them for under $20K, just a little more $ than Camry’s with the same mileage. I am thinking the extra road comfort might be worth the extra $1K(ish)? Thoughts? 
oh #### yeah.  I was fortunate enough to get the in-laws '13 with 6K miles  :) in '15 for $20K.  All the goodies.  My wife's father is an insane car guy.  Has traded in new cars about every 6-8 months for 30+ years ...spending our (her) inheritance. :D  

You won't believe the difference in feel and drive in the upgrade.   

oh #### yeah.  I was fortunate enough to get the in-laws '13 with 6K miles  :) in '15 for $20K.  All the goodies.  My wife's father is an insane car guy.  Has traded in new cars about every 6-8 months for 30+ years ...spending our (her) inheritance. :D  

My Camry has the 2.5 4cylinder from what I gather is a great reliable engine. Does your Avalon have the regular V6 or the hybridV6? Any issues? What kind of gas mileage?

Let me know the next time your Father-in-law is ready to trade in again ?! 

Users who are viewing this thread