What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Song of Ice and Fire Reread (1 Viewer)

I'll go on record as saying this will never happen.  This is a dead series.

My wife would skin me alive if I let my 14 year old anywhere near this series.  Mine is reading Eye of the World right now (such a good book).
Even to read it?

Listening to an episode of the podcast from History of Westeros and they have some good info.  I think they said from GRRM's original outline, Cat was supposed to flee north of the wall and become a Wight?  Jaime was supposed to murder his way to the throne and blame Tyrion?

My wife would skin me alive if I let my 14 year old anywhere near this series.  Mine is reading Eye of the World right now (such a good book).
My wife has never seen an episode. She would hate it.  But we had friends in town the night of the series finale, and they watch.  So she watched with us.  About midway through my 13 year old came downstairs, grabbed a snack and sat at the table watching.

Wife: "Is this appropriate for her?"

Me: "Parts of this aren't appropriate for me, but even the language is pretty tame in this one.  She's probably fine."

Listening to an episode of the podcast from History of Westeros and they have some good info.  I think they said from GRRM's original outline, Cat was supposed to flee north of the wall and become a Wight?  Jaime was supposed to murder his way to the throne and blame Tyrion?
That's some crazy stuff. I'm kind of interested in seeing how the Cat angle would play out. It'd be an interesting approach to making some kind of sense out of the whole Others thing if she did that and was a chapter focus character.

Ok, finished last week

2 takeaways

I must not have read the whole book bc its clear as day that Ned is not Jons father

The book made me much more sympathetic to Sansas role in getting Ned killed. When i watched the show,  I hated her. Reading the book,  i felt sad for her. 

On to clash of kings which will take til Christmas with my schedule

Get them the Sanderson Cosmere books - Mistborn, Elantris, Way of Kings, Warbreaker.  Also, read them if you haven't - every bit as good as Martin.

Get them the Sanderson Cosmere books - Mistborn, Elantris, Way of Kings, Warbreaker.  Also, read them if you haven't - every bit as good as Martin.
Way of Kings is literature quality (older kid is listening to those).  Warbreaker was ok, not extraordinary.  Need to read Elantris.  Maybe next after I get through Drew Hayes' Super Powereds stuff, which is absolutely extraordinary.

I had mostly forgotten about this series (both in book and t.v. show form). They really botched the last 2 seasons of that show to the extent the story has lost my interest.

I had mostly forgotten about this series (both in book and t.v. show form). They really botched the last 2 seasons of that show to the extent the story has lost my interest.
Incredible how bad the final couple seasons were. The show had so much momentum and it just came to a screeching halt. 

Users who are viewing this thread