What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A thread about race, racial relations, racism, institutional racism, and what should we do about it? (1 Viewer)

jonessed said:
If we cannot discuss basic firearms statistics without making the data out to be racist it’s really no wonder the country can’t move towards anything productive in this arena.
I agree - that's why I said I dismiss  it as it takes away from the bigger discussion (not to mention it's ridiculous)

You already know they do. But not the implied conclusion.
Honestly, I have no idea what the stats say.  Or your implied conclusion.   Not sure why you even want to bring gun violence into an implied racism discussion if the stats are going to make your claim totally bogus anyway.

Here is a passage from the introduction to Coates' book:

One strain of African American thought holds that it is a violent black recklessness- the black gangster, the black rioter- that strikes the ultimate terror in White America. Perhaps it does, in the most individual sense. But in the collective sense, what this country really fears is black respectability, Good Negro Government. It applauds, even celebrates, Good Negro Government in the unthreatening abstract- The Cosby Show, for instance. When when it becomes clear that Good Negro Government might, in any way, empower actual Negroes over actual whites, then the fear sets in, the affirmative action charges begin, and birtherism emerges. And this is because, at its core, those American myths have never been colorless. They cannot be extricated from the "whole theory of slavery," which holds that an entire class of people carry peonage in their blood. That peon class provided the foundation on which all those myths and conceptions were built. And as much as we can theoretically imagine a seamless black integration into the American myth, the white part of this country remembers the myth as it was conceived.

I think the old fear of Good Negro Government has much explanatory power for what might seem a shocking turn- the election of Donald Trump. It has been said that the first black presidency was mostly "symbolic," a dismissal that deeply underestimates the power of symbols. Symbols don't just represent reality but can become tools to change it. The symbolic power of Barack Obama's presidency- that whiteness was no longer strong enough to prevent peons from taking up residence in the castle- assaulted the most deeply rooted notions of white supremacy and instilled fear in its adherents and beneficiaries. And it was that fear that gave the symbols Donald Trump employed- the symbols of racism- enough potency to make him president, and thus put him in position to injure the world.

There's a lot to unpack here- so many interesting ideas in two short paragraphs. But I'm wondering if people agree with his central theme, which is that Obama threatened white supremacy and therefore Trump?
Obama was elected by America, not just black people and Trump was elected by America, not just white supremacists.  Race likely played a part in both elections, but it was not a major part in either.

This is the problem with racial politics. If it’s all that you focus on you can see it as the underlying cause of just about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted a good definition of 'institutional racism' so we know what the hell people are talking about.  The examples given are simply an unequal outcome without any connection to racism by the institution.  How can we discuss something if we can not even define it.  Do unequal outcome means there is institutional racism?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

Institutional racism (also known as institutionalized racism) is a form of racism expressed in the practice of social and political institutions. Institutional racism is also racism by individuals or informal social groups,[1] governed by behavioral norms that support racist thinking and foment active racism. It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power and education, among other things. Whether implicitly or explicitly expressed, institutional racism occurs when a certain group is targeted and discriminated against based upon race. Institutional racism is mostly implicit in our ideas and attitudes, so it is often unnoticed by the individual expressing it (see implicit bias).

https://www.bustle.com/p/this-is-proof-that-institutional-racism-is-still-very-much-a-problem-43610

Here are 7 examples of how our system treats persons of color differently:

1. Black people are 12 times more likely to be wrongly convicted of drug related crimes than whites.

2. 58% of prisoners are black or Hispanic, despite making up one quarter of the US population.

3. 13% of all black men are denied the right to vote.

4. 74% of black students and 80% of Latino students attend schools that are more than half-minority populations.

5. In 2013, the unemployment rate for black college grads was almost twice as high as the rate for grads overall.

6. Asian American homebuyers are shown 20% fewer homes than white homebuyers.

7. White families hold 90% of the national wealth. Black and Latino families combined hold less than 5%.

Taking each of these one at a time:

Black people are 12 times more likely to be wrongly convicted of drug related crimes than whites.

A new study on wrongful convictions shows how the justice system disproportionately affects black people. The study found that among three types of crimes (murder, sexual assault, and drug crimes) black people were consistently more likely to be wrongfully convicted. In addition to the above stat on drug-related offenses, the study found black people serving time for sexual assault were three and a half times more likely to be innocent than white people. Despite making up 13 percent of the US population, African Americans made up 47 percent of the exonerations studied.

Systemic racism even exists in the way drug problems are discussed politically. The “War on Drugs” was a response to the crack problem primarily affecting black communities. That’s a stark difference from “Opioid Epidemic,” which is how the prescription drug problem primarily affecting white communities is being discussed.

58% of prisoners are black or Hispanic, despite making up one quarter of the US population.

The way the justice system disproportionately affects people of color goes beyond wrongful convictions. The above statistic comes from the NAACP’s criminal justice fact sheet, which also mentions that in 2001 one in six black men had been incarcerated at some point in their lifetime. Overall, black people are incarcerated at six times the rate of white people.

13% of all black men are denied the right to vote.

The disproportionate incarceration rates have an impact beyond time spent in jail. Because people convicted of felonies are not allowed to vote in many states, more than one out of every 10 black men cannot participate in one of the cornerstones of our democracy.

74% of black students and 80% of Latino students attend schools that are more than half-minority populations.

Brown versus Board did not solve the racial injustices in our education system. In fact, many school are more segregated now than they were in the the '50s and '60s. The above statistic matters because it shows in numbers the lack of integration among white students and students of color. The “resegregation” of schools has been widely discussed as of late. PBS publishes these infographics on school segregation. ProPublica examined resegregation in the south. NPR ran a series on systemic segregation that highlights how integration helps students of every race.

Racial bias is especially prevalent in the way schools discipline student of color versus white students. Black students are suspended and expelled at three times the rate of white students. This especially affects female students of color, as they are “suspended at higher rates than girls of any other race or ethnicity and most boys.”

In 2013, the unemployment rate for black college grads was almost twice as high as the rate for grads overall.

In a 2014 study on employment rates among recent graduates, 12.4 percent of black college graduates were unemployed. That is significantly more than the 5.6 percent of overall college graduates who were unemployed. As the study states, the recent recession impacted all college graduates. However, it was disproportionately difficult on black college graduates.

One factor that may contribute to disproportionate unemployment is the way our culture still discriminates against names that don’t sound white. Studies have shown that a job applicant with a name that “sounds black” is less likely to get called in for an interview than a job applicant with a white-sounding name.

Asian American homebuyers are shown 20% fewer homes than white homebuyers.

In a 2012 report by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, racial bias in the housing market was evidenced by the rate at which homebuyers were shown available housing. The report found that renters and homebuyers of color were shown and told about less homes white homebuyers. Attitudes about living in more segregated areas likely play into this disparity in rates. In a 2008 study on racial attitudes, only 25 percent of white respondents would be willing to live in a neighborhood where half of their neighbors were black.

The practice of redlining still exists, which involves denying funding or services based on the racial demographics of an area. Just this month, AT&T was accused of discriminating against low-income neighborhoods.

White families hold 90% of the national wealth. Black and Latino families combined hold less than 5%.

Inequality in schools and the job market as well as other racial biases compound to create a great disparity in the distribution of wealth. A 2013 survey from the Federal Reserve showed that the top 10 percent of white families own pretty much everything. This works out to mean the median net worth of white families is $134,000. That’s almost ten times higher than $14,000 for Hispanic families and $11,000 for black families.

The article concludes:

These disparities are overwhelming when you see them compiled in a list. Even more so when you experience them every day. But like with any other problem, the first step is acknowledging there is something wrong. Once we do that, we can start fixing these systems so they truly help all people.

I agree that these disparities ARE overwhelming. Yet guys like jon mx argue that either they don't exist, or that they're not proof of institutional racism. I think the proof is obvious, unless you're simply unwilling to accept it.

White families hold 90% of the national wealth. Black and Latino families combined hold less than 5%.

Inequality in schools and the job market as well as other racial biases compound to create a great disparity in the distribution of wealth. A 2013 survey from the Federal Reserve showed that the top 10 percent of white families own pretty much everything. This works out to mean the median net worth of white families is $134,000. That’s almost ten times higher than $14,000 for Hispanic families and $11,000 for black families.
You know what we could do to really help with this?  Let's kneel during the national anthem. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

Institutional racism (also known as institutionalized racism) is a form of racism expressed in the practice of social and political institutions. Institutional racism is also racism by individuals or informal social groups,[1] governed by behavioral norms that support racist thinking and foment active racism. It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power and education, among other things. Whether implicitly or explicitly expressed, institutional racism occurs when a certain group is targeted and discriminated against based upon race. Institutional racism is mostly implicit in our ideas and attitudes, so it is often unnoticed by the individual expressing it (see implicit bias).

https://www.bustle.com/p/this-is-proof-that-institutional-racism-is-still-very-much-a-problem-43610

Here are 7 examples of how our system treats persons of color differently:

1. Black people are 12 times more likely to be wrongly convicted of drug related crimes than whites.

2. 58% of prisoners are black or Hispanic, despite making up one quarter of the US population.

3. 13% of all black men are denied the right to vote.

4. 74% of black students and 80% of Latino students attend schools that are more than half-minority populations.

5. In 2013, the unemployment rate for black college grads was almost twice as high as the rate for grads overall.

6. Asian American homebuyers are shown 20% fewer homes than white homebuyers.

7. White families hold 90% of the national wealth. Black and Latino families combined hold less than 5%.
The stuff not crossed out is a possible and perhaps reasonable definition.  The other stuff is either individual racism or outcomes which may or may not be based on racism.  

The stuff not crossed out is a possible and perhaps reasonable definition.  The other stuff is either individual racism or outcomes which may or may not be based on racism.  
:lmao:

It's like you have your head in the sand, jon. You can cross out all the lines you want, but the facts still exist.

The article concludes:

These disparities are overwhelming when you see them compiled in a list. Even more so when you experience them every day. But like with any other problem, the first step is acknowledging there is something wrong. Once we do that, we can start fixing these systems so they truly help all people.

I agree that these disparities ARE overwhelming. Yet guys like jon mx argue that either they don't exist, or that they're not proof of institutional racism. I think the proof is obvious, unless you're simply unwilling to accept it.
The only bullet point that might represent proof of some form of institutionalized racism is the wrongful conviction study.  You would actually have to link to the study though.

Taking each of these one at a time:

Black people are 12 times more likely to be wrongly convicted of drug related crimes than whites.

A new study on wrongful convictions shows how the justice system disproportionately affects black people. The study found that among three types of crimes (murder, sexual assault, and drug crimes) black people were consistently more likely to be wrongfully convicted. In addition to the above stat on drug-related offenses, the study found black people serving time for sexual assault were three and a half times more likely to be innocent than white people. Despite making up 13 percent of the US population, African Americans made up 47 percent of the exonerations studied.

Systemic racism even exists in the way drug problems are discussed politically. The “War on Drugs” was a response to the crack problem primarily affecting black communities. That’s a stark difference from “Opioid Epidemic,” which is how the prescription drug problem primarily affecting white communities is being discussed.
That is some terrible use of statistics there and why you can't take this stuff seriously.  What you need to compare the percent exonerated from a crime to the percent of the population which makes up the group convicted of a crime.  It does not matter if blacks make up 13% of the population.  What matters is how that 47% of blacks exonerated compares to the percentage of blacks who were convicted of the crime.  That is what would be the basis for a claim that there was some racial discrimination going on.  

One of the lines you crossed off, jon:

The key word here is wrongly. If blacks were simply 12 times more likely to be convicted, you would simply argue that its because they commit many more drug related crimes. But the fact that they're much more likely to be wrongly convicted indicates that we're dealing with racism, and because its coming from our justice system, it must be institutional racism.

:lmao:

It's like you have your head in the sand, jon. You can cross out all the lines you want, but the facts still exist.
Either debate it or not.  Start by telling me what is wrong with my last post above.  I can go through each of your stats and tear them apart if you wish.  

The only bullet point that might represent proof of some form of institutionalized racism is the wrongful conviction study.  You would actually have to link to the study though.
Strongly, strongly disagree. And I think you and jon are being awfully dismissive. But again, this is why I raised the question of whether we can even have this discussion at all in my second post. I don't expect you or jon or most other white conservatives around here to accept the truth of institutional racism. No matter what evidence is presented, you will find a way to dispute it.

Strongly, strongly disagree. And I think you and jon are being awfully dismissive. But again, this is why I raised the question of whether we can even have this discussion at all in my second post. I don't expect you or jon or most other white conservatives around here to accept the truth of institutional racism. No matter what evidence is presented, you will find a way to dispute it.
I’m still waiting on the link to the actual study.  I’m not sure how one can agree or disagree with a study that can’t be read.

Either debate it or not.  Start by telling me what is wrong with my last post above.  I can go through each of your stats and tear them apart if you wish.  
Well, by all means, go ahead and try. Your first attempt was not very compelling. You wrote:

It does not matter if blacks make up 13% of the population.  What matters is how that 47% of blacks exonerated compares to the percentage of blacks who were convicted of the crime. 

That's a ridiculous statement. If we're going to discuss evidence of institutional racism, we can't do it by comparing blacks to other blacks. The only comparison that makes sense is to compare blacks to whites.

I don't expect you to dispute what I said above because you really don't understand statistics and how to control for other variables.  

When it comes to drug crimes, innocent blacks were 12 times more likely to be convicted than innocent whites. While black and white people have similar rates of illegal drug use, black people are more likely to be arrested and convicted of such offenses than white people are, researchers found.

I dunno. Seems pretty damn clear to me.

Well, by all means, go ahead and try. Your first attempt was not very compelling. You wrote:

It does not matter if blacks make up 13% of the population.  What matters is how that 47% of blacks exonerated compares to the percentage of blacks who were convicted of the crime. 

That's a ridiculous statement. If we're going to discuss evidence of institutional racism, we can't do it by comparing blacks to other blacks. The only comparison that makes sense is to compare blacks to whites.
You really don't get it.  If blacks are 47% of the population who are convicted rapists or drug dealers or whatever and 47% of the exonerated are blacks, that does not show any biased towards blacks.  It shows a flawed system which equally fails without regard for race.  The fact that they make up 13% of the total population is meaningless.  

You really don't get it.  If blacks are 47% of the population who are convicted racists or drug dealers or whatever and 47% of the exonerated are blacks, that does not show any biased towards blacks.  It shows a flawed system which equally fails without regard for race.  The fact that they make up 13% of the total population is meaningless.  
Convicted racists?

Putting that aside, the whole point is that blacks are exonerated more because they falsely charged more, despite the fact by percentage they use the same amount of illegal drugs as white people do. What does that tell you? I know what it SHOULD tell you.

OK jon, at the risk of bashing my head against a wall, let's try again:

1. Black people and white people use illegal drugs at a similar rate.

2. Black people represent 13% of the overall population.

3. Black people represent 47% of everybody arrested for illegal drugs.

4. Black people are 12 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted than white people are.

Now, you can play around with the numbers all you want, and tell me how I don't understand statistics. I think I understand the above, and what it implies about our society.

Convicted racists?

Putting that aside, the whole point is that blacks are exonerated more because they falsely charged more, despite the fact by percentage they use the same amount of illegal drugs as white people do. What does that tell you? I know what it SHOULD tell you.
It does not show what you think it shows.  I already wasted my time explaining one to you, which you still don't comprehend.  I will have to look at how these numbers were generated to understand what they are really saying.  

Convicted racists?

Do you have the breakdown on where most of these drug deals are taking place or where they are being caught?

And what can we do about it?  Like others have said, no race can say what it's like to be another race.  We just don't have that life experience.  Yes there are racists out there and there are racists in power.  I can educate my kids on the subject and I'm more than willing to vote for someone with a plan to correct some of the wrongs in our society.   Outside of continuing education on the issues, what else is there? 

The system is set up so that old money makes new money.  However, I think it's realistic for each generation to maintain or grow their family's wealth if they apply themselves. 

And what can we do about it?  Like others have said, no race can say what it's like to be another race.  We just don't have that life experience.  Yes there are racists out there and there are racists in power.  I can educate my kids on the subject and I'm more than willing to vote for someone with a plan to correct some of the wrongs in our society.   Outside of continuing education on the issues, what else is there? 

The system is set up so that old money makes new money.  However, I think it's realistic for each generation to maintain or grow their family's wealth if they apply themselves. 
We're not at that point yet. We're debating whether or not the problem exists. It's obvious to me that it does, but others don't feel that way.

All I'm doing is accessing this stuff from the internet. What are you suggesting here?
That location of arrest may be an important variable.  It’s certainly not the only one, income, history of arrests, type of drugs, age, etc. would all be interesting variables to look at in addition to race.

OK jon, at the risk of bashing my head against a wall, let's try again:

1. Black people and white people use illegal drugs at a similar rate.

2. Black people represent 13% of the overall population.

3. Black people represent 47% of everybody arrested for illegal drugs.

4. Black people are 12 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted than white people are.

Now, you can play around with the numbers all you want, and tell me how I don't understand statistics. I think I understand the above, and what it implies about our society.
1.  Is not quite true.  In surveys by US HHS, blacks are about 20% more likely to use drugs.  But will be a meaningless distinction in this discussion and is brought up mostly to spin the numbers.

2.  Obviously true.

3.  True.  But blacks also represents about 50% of reported rapists, murderers and robbers.  In many cases when blacks are being arrested for other crimes, they get nailed for drug possession and that ends up easiest to prove and an easy plea bargain.  Oddly, even in districts like Washington DC where over 80 percent of the police force is black, blacks are still more than 8 times more likely to be arrested than whites.  I guess they must be racist too?  Maybe blacks are arrested more than whites because they are far more likely to be involved in violent crimes, and drugs are just a plea bargain.  

4.  Again, if you are 12 times more likely to be convicted in the first place, it is pretty easy to understand why they also might be 12 times more likely to be wrongly convicted too.  It just matches the percentage convicted in the first place.  A wrongful conviction is a horrible thing and there is never a good excuse.  And if cops do intentionally plant or alter evidence to get a conviction, they should be thrown in jail.  

I wonder who is more likely to have a police encounter, a rural homeowner doing a few lines of blow in the privacy of her own home with only her spouse around, or an urban dweller smoking the drug in a multifamily housing environment.

I wonder who is more likely to have a police encounter, a rural homeowner doing a few lines of blow in the privacy of her own home with only her spouse around, or an urban dweller smoking the drug in a multifamily housing environment.
Obviously the urban dweller. And you can find all sorts of other disparities too, if you look. But what should NOT be done is to use these disparities as an argument that the institutional racism doesn't exist because it clearly does.

Obviously the urban dweller. And you can find all sorts of other disparities too, if you look. But what should NOT be done is to use these disparities as an argument that the institutional racism doesn't exist because it clearly does.
Surprising, if the matter is as clear as you think, that you need to argue it constantly.  It must be difficult to hold the other side in any respect or esteem when they don't get what is so clear clear?

That’s kind of how this works.  If you want to know the primary factor(s) that lead to a drug arrest you have to study more than one factor.

There is nothing clear about this.  There are lots of reasons why blacks are more likely to be arrested than others, and the number 1 reason is blacks are far more likely than whites to be involved in violent crimes.  Drug crimes are harder to quantify, because there are so many users across every class and race.  It really should not be the focus of law enforcement.  The focus should be the violent crimes and the hard numbers of crimes committed by blacks is largely the reason they are arrested at much higher rates.  Discrimination is a minor player.  

We're not at that point yet. We're debating whether or not the problem exists. It's obvious to me that it does, but others don't feel that way.
I believe that the majority of people would agree a problem exists.  How much of a problem it is will be a long debate.  And a solution seems improbable.

There's a lot to unpack here- so many interesting ideas in two short paragraphs. But I'm wondering if people agree with his central theme, which is that Obama threatened white supremacy and therefore Trump?
I think he's basically right.  A huge chunk of Trump's identity is being "not Obama" no matter what that means in terms of policy. And "not Obama" means something racially specific to his base. 

Users who are viewing this thread