What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A-Train Signs with Cowboys (1 Viewer)

Im all for a negative view of things. Problem is, your posting is rooted in an amorphous blob of "facts" that are used to further your position while clearly ignoring people who use similarly reliable facts to refute you.  Sometimes, they even ask you direct questions, which you ignore and/or refuse to answer. 

Its sort of sad really.  Some people hate my writing style and my opinion on things, but no one can ever accuse me of being a waffler who doesn't respond to the issue at hand.   You, on the other hand...

(Now, I look forward to another vague response.  :P )

COlin
I haven't ignored one direct question, as a matter of fact I pointed out to you that JJ indeed had a second injury last year.What issue have I not responded to??????

Just ask the direct question. I'm not going anywhere.
1. How much did you bump up Jones when Ritchie Anderson was cut? (Gray asked an hour ago)2. How much did you bump up Chris Brown now that the Titans have gotten thrugh the draft without a "capable runner" behind him?

COli
:coffee:
that's my favorite smileyAnyhow,

1) To be honest I did bump up JJ when Anderson got caught. I don't recall exactly but it was a decent chunk.

2) I don't get your second point...who's the cabable runner?
1. So, is the cutting of Anderson and signing Thomas a wash?2. W/out A. Smith on the roster, did you bump up Brown?

Then how can you slash 25-40 FF points before hearing from Parcells?
It's a ballpark figure...but I suspect he loses 6 touches a game or so than what I originally had him slated for.
BTW, I'm guessing you didn't add any FF points to Jones when Anderson was cut.
Well there is a lot to consider, we still haven't taken into account they drafted a RB either. Rashard Lee etc. etc.
I like to refrain from throwing out FF point values if I haven't considered the results of the NFL draft.It just seems to me that you don't like Jones, and you're just looking for a reason to downgrade him.

Anyway, I'm out....off to format more team reports.

Then how can you slash 25-40 FF points before hearing from Parcells?
It's a ballpark figure...but I suspect he loses 6 touches a game or so than what I originally had him slated for.
BTW, I'm guessing you didn't add any FF points to Jones when Anderson was cut.
Well there is a lot to consider, we still haven't taken into account they drafted a RB either. Rashard Lee etc. etc.
I like to refrain from throwing out FF point values if I haven't considered the results of the NFL draft.It just seems to me that you don't like Jones, and you're just looking for a reason to downgrade him.

Anyway, I'm out....off to format more team reports.
I'm not sure what you meant by your first point, but I personally have taken into account the rook. I was speaking to this thread specifically, not my ballpark projections.I don't dislike Jones, I simply bumped him down 5 spots when the Cowboys took on A-Train today as JJ's "complement."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got this from NFL.com

"Anthony will provide an excellent compliment to the other backs we have on the roster," said Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones. "He gives us depth and experience and makes. His addition will make us take a long hard look at carrying four backs on the roster in the fall."
I'm pretty sure "compliment" isn't a synonym for backup. :popcorn: :popcorn:
Oh great, we went from coach speak to owner speak. That's what is said 99% of the time about backups. They make a good "compliment" IE when our main guy is tired or we don't want to give him one more carry in the 4th quarter on 3rd and short with the game well in hand, we'll bring in our "compliment".
He could have very easily said backup.
He could have...or he could have said compliment to save Atrain's ego and meant the same thing.
Well I doubt it, but if that's how you want to read into it more power to you.
Well considering that "compliment" is the term most widely used for any RB signing, Id feel confident in saying thats how it was meant.Its like the 80 or so times we heard Bill Cowher call Verron Haynes a "compliment" to the other Rbs on Pitt's roster last year. Yeah...he "complimented" them alright.

1. So, is the cutting of Anderson and signing Thomas a wash?

2. W/out A. Smith on the roster, did you bump up Brown?
1. No, I don't believe it is a wash...A-Train is a much different back.2. I definitely bumped up Brown this year, but that is another thread....and not because I think he's less susceptible to injury.

I loved JJ in the 12 -17 range as RB, but now I think I will stay clear of him unless he really drops in my drafts. Too much risk involved for a second rd pick.

Let me venture into the lion's den after reading the first three, dizzying pages... Basically, there appears to be the Jones faithful, loyalists, observers, whatever, that contend this helps JJ as it will keep him on the field over the course of the season as Thomas and/or Barber III will give him a few breathers during the game. These same posters also argue that Thomas poses no threat to take meaningful carries away from JJ.The other side of the fence are those folks that see the signing of a former rookie of the year (yeah, I know, I know...) and starting RB as a serious threat to JJones, plain and simple.________________________________________________________________MY VIEW: Both camps are correct to an extent and the type of league you are in really affects your view._________________________________________________________________First, the statement that Thomas' signing is a good thing for Jones needs to be put in some sort of context. I agree that getting 20 - 25 carries is probably better than seeing him get 30 or more carries a game - IN THE LONG TERM. Even Ricky Williams-like runners have a hard time handling that kind of workload -- it showed for Ricky in 2003. As an aside, I don't recall any threads on this board or any others where Jones owners were campaigning for Dallas to draft a decent rookie RB and sign a solid veteran backup. Why would you if you were a Jones owner? I don't think owners of studs like Tomlinson or Edge would want to see San Diego or Indy go get Thomas Henry to add depth. (Maybe it's just me, but I like my RB to hog all the carries. I'll accept the risk of injury, as I will hopefully draft their backups or a viable third starter. I want to win THIS year.) Second, in terms of 2005 production, this signing has a real risk of reducing Jones overall potential. Thomas will see some touches each game that would have otherwise gone to JJ (considering the sorry state of Dallas' other RBs prior to the NFL draft and noted several times above). In addition, Thomas is the type of back that could legitimately take carries away at the goal line. IN THE SHORT TERM, this does not help Jones's numbers. It hurts them -- not enough to take Jones out of the realms of good fantasy RB starters, but hurts them nonetheless.____________________ If you're in a dynasty league, this is probably a decent signing if it keeps Jones healthier, longer. If you're in yearly league, or limited keeper league, this hurts Jones prospects.____________________After his torrid pace at the end of last season, Jones looked like an RB that could have a very special season in 2005 -- top 10 potential with even more upside. He was the only quality RB on a team with a coach that liked to run the ball, had to run the ball (Blew Dredsoe at QB, c'mon!). Jones chances of a special season are reduced significantly now. He can still have a solid season, but I doubt he cracks the top 10 in any format. ____________________Today, I was working on some deals that might have allowed me to convert Culpepper and Edge into Manning and Jones. My thinking was that Jones' stats potential had enough upside that he could be pretty close to Edge, if not better. I now doubt I will pursue these deals with same vigor, if at all._______________________Perhaps, the best test for this signing is how your gut reacted to reading the headline on the blogger. Did you jump for joy for Julius Jones owners. Or, like me, did you immediately go "uh, oh" before trying to rationalize why this isn't going to be a negative to Jones' production?Sorry for the length of this post, but there seemed to be a lot of different arguments being made that were being rebutted out of context, resulting in the several pages to this thread.

Good analogy.I am in redraft leagues only so this does not affect me. I will just drop Jones down a bit. There is no doubt that Thomas will take away from his numbers for redrafters. For keepers..it may keep him healthy for stronger seasons down the road.

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Free-agent running back Anthony Thomas has gone from backing up one Jones brother to another.

The Cowboys signed the 2001 NFL offensive rookie of the year on Monday to a one-year deal. Terms were not released.

Thomas will not be added to the roster until today, when the contract is approved by the league.

"We've been pursuing Anthony Thomas for a while," said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, referring to trade talk before last season.

"He's a veteran back who will complement what we have in Julius [Jones] and Marion [barber III] because he's a bigger back. He gives us experience because he's a back who's carried the load. He gives us the depth and flexibility that we want at the position."

Thomas (6-2, 225 pounds), who has surpassed the 1,000-yard mark twice in his first four seasons, spent last season as Thomas Jones' backup in Chicago. He rushed for 404 yards on 122 carries and two touchdowns.

Now he'll team with fourth-round pick Barber to back up Thomas' Jones little brother Julius, who rushed for 819 yards in seven starts last season as a rookie.

Parcells has always liked to have a big back for short-yardage and goal-line situations. Thomas will probably fill that role with Dallas. But Thomas can be a featured back, if injuries force Jones out of the lineup.

He rushed for 1,183 yards as a rookie and 1,024 yards in 2003.

Jones said the Cowboys could keep four running backs, but the addition of Thomas means that Erik Bickerstaff, who's returning from a ruptured Achilles' tendon, or ReShard Lee could be released.

Lee rushed for 128 yards on 27 carries, a 4.7-yard average, last season.

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Free-agent running back Anthony Thomas has gone from backing up one Jones brother to another.

The Cowboys signed the 2001 NFL offensive rookie of the year on Monday to a one-year deal. Terms were not released.

Thomas will not be added to the roster until today, when the contract is approved by the league.

"We've been pursuing Anthony Thomas for a while," said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, referring to trade talk before last season.

"He's a veteran back who will complement what we have in Julius [Jones] and Marion [barber III] because he's a bigger back. He gives us experience because he's a back who's carried the load. He gives us the depth and flexibility that we want at the position."

Thomas (6-2, 225 pounds), who has surpassed the 1,000-yard mark twice in his first four seasons, spent last season as Thomas Jones' backup in Chicago. He rushed for 404 yards on 122 carries and two touchdowns.

Now he'll team with fourth-round pick Barber to back up Thomas' Jones little brother Julius, who rushed for 819 yards in seven starts last season as a rookie.

Parcells has always liked to have a big back for short-yardage and goal-line situations. Thomas will probably fill that role with Dallas. But Thomas can be a featured back, if injuries force Jones out of the lineup.

He rushed for 1,183 yards as a rookie and 1,024 yards in 2003.

Jones said the Cowboys could keep four running backs, but the addition of Thomas means that Erik Bickerstaff, who's returning from a ruptured Achilles' tendon, or ReShard Lee could be released.

Lee rushed for 128 yards on 27 carries, a 4.7-yard average, last season.
Author's opinion, worth no more than anyone else's in this thread.

According to KTCK the Ticket, Anthony Thomas has signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys.
LMAO..no possible way back up ONLY, problem could be JJ losing a few goal line carries here and there

According to KTCK the Ticket, Anthony Thomas has signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys.
LMAO..no possible way back up ONLY, problem could be JJ losing a few goal line carries here and there
Agree. I am surprised so many folks regard Julius Jones as such a fantasy stud. I recall that Julius Jones put up the majority of his numbers while feasting on Chicago, Seattle, and the NYG (all three had trouble stopping the run last year). He struggled significantly vs. the other opponents including Cleveland, Baltimore, NO, Philly, and Wash.

I expect Jones to be given the opportunity to remain the starter; however, A-Train will sponge a few carries and may get a shot if Julius struggles.

Bottom line- Great signing for Dallas as a team, but I will likely drop Julius Jones a few spots in my rankings.

Agree. I am surprised so many folks regard Julius Jones as such a fantasy stud. I recall that Julius Jones put up the majority of his numbers while feasting on Chicago, Seattle, and the NYG (all three had trouble stopping the run last year). He struggled significantly vs. the other opponents including Cleveland, Baltimore, NO, Philly, and Wash.

I expect Jones to be given the opportunity to remain the starter; however, A-Train will sponge a few carries and may get a shot if Julius struggles.

Bottom line- Great signing for Dallas as a team, but I will likely drop Julius Jones a few spots in my rankings.
Cleveland - 5 carries - 16 yards.Baltimore- 25 carries -80 yards. I'll take that from just about anyone playing the Ravens.

New Orleans- 23 carries - 88 yards 1 TD

Philadelphia 25 carries 80 yards 2 TD's - 2 rec 21 yards (101 combined yards and 2 TD's is bad against the Superbowl losers?)

Washington - 22 carries 57 yards 2 rec. 10 yards 1 fumble.

So besides Washington and Cleveland where he only got 5 carries, he did admirably. I don't see how these numbers are bad. :confused:

I think the funniest thing about this entire thread is the fact that A. Thomas could very well eat into JJ's carries, I mean the possibility is there I just don't think it will happen.But what makes it funny is that LHUCKS hasn't provided one ounce of actual facts to make his case.

Let me venture into the lion's den after reading the first three, dizzying pages...

Basically, there appears to be the Jones faithful, loyalists, observers, whatever, that contend this helps JJ as it will keep him on the field over the course of the season as Thomas and/or Barber III will give him a few breathers during the game. These same posters also argue that Thomas poses no threat to take meaningful carries away from JJ.

The other side of the fence are those folks that see the signing of a former rookie of the year (yeah, I know, I know...) and starting RB as a serious threat to JJones, plain and simple.

MY VIEW: Both camps are correct to an extent and the type of league you are in really affects your view.

First, the statement that Thomas' signing is a good thing for Jones needs to be put in some sort of context. I agree that getting 20 - 25 carries is probably better than seeing him get 30 or more carries a game - IN THE LONG TERM. Even Ricky Williams-like runners have a hard time handling that kind of workload -- it showed for Ricky in 2003.

As an aside, I don't recall any threads on this board or any others where Jones owners were campaigning for Dallas to draft a decent rookie RB and sign a solid veteran backup. Why would you if you were a Jones owner? I don't think owners of studs like Tomlinson or Edge would want to see San Diego or Indy go get Thomas Henry to add depth. (Maybe it's just me, but I like my RB to hog all the carries. I'll accept the risk of injury, as I will hopefully draft their backups or a viable third starter. I want to win THIS year.)

Second, in terms of 2005 production, this signing has a real risk of reducing Jones overall potential. Thomas will see some touches each game that would have otherwise gone to JJ (considering the sorry state of Dallas' other RBs prior to the NFL draft and noted several times above). In addition, Thomas is the type of back that could legitimately take carries away at the goal line. IN THE SHORT TERM, this does not help Jones's numbers. It hurts them -- not enough to take Jones out of the realms of good fantasy RB starters, but hurts them nonetheless.

If you're in a dynasty league, this is probably a decent signing if it keeps Jones healthier, longer. If you're in yearly league, or limited keeper league, this hurts Jones prospects.

After his torrid pace at the end of last season, Jones looked like an RB that could have a very special season in 2005 -- top 10 potential with even more upside. He was the only quality RB on a team with a coach that liked to run the ball, had to run the ball (Blew Dredsoe at QB, c'mon!).

Jones chances of a special season are reduced significantly now. He can still have a solid season, but I doubt he cracks the top 10 in any format.

Today, I was working on some deals that might have allowed me to convert Culpepper and Edge into Manning and Jones. My thinking was that Jones' stats potential had enough upside that he could be pretty close to Edge, if not better. I now doubt I will pursue these deals with same vigor, if at all.

Perhaps, the best test for this signing is how your gut reacted to reading the headline on the blogger. Did you jump for joy for Julius Jones owners. Or, like me, did you immediately go "uh, oh" before trying to rationalize why this isn't going to be a negative to Jones' production?

Sorry for the length of this post, but there seemed to be a lot of different arguments being made that were being rebutted out of context, resulting in the several pages to this thread.
:goodposting: The one thing I would add, though, is that one reason Jones' short term potential is so high is that he's Parcells's running back. With Parcells unlikely to be there too many more years, Jones' long term value is up in the air.

Cleveland - 5 carries - 16 yards.Baltimore- 25 carries -80 yards. I'll take that from just about anyone playing the Ravens.

Philadelphia 25 carries 80 yards 2 TD's - 2 rec 21 yards (101 combined yards and 2 TD's is bad against the Superbowl losers?)

So besides Washington and Cleveland where he only got 5 carries, he did admirably. I don't see how these numbers are bad. :confused:
Julius Jones did not have and TDs vs. Philly. Here is the breakdown:Vs. Chicago, Seattle, and NYG: 92 car 497 rush yards 5.4 YPC 6 TDs; 9 rec 56 rec yards 0 TDs

Vs. Cle, Balt, NO, Philly, and Was: 105 car 322 rush yards 3.1 YPC 1 TD; 8 rec 53 rec yards 0 TDs (Although you consider this as admirable, I am not sure this won't get him on the sideline in favor of A-Train or the rookie)

Total 819 rush yards 7 rush TDs; 109 rec yards 0 TDs

I was a Jones owner and he posted huge numbers in 3 games (against bad rush Defenses), but was a not much of a factor in the other games. Jones was allowed to post pedestrian numbers and get huge numbers of carries when he struggled since Dallas did not have a capable backup last year. Look for A-Train and possibly the rookie to get some carries and keep Julius' fantasy value in perspective.

Very interesting.

Julius Jones owners will likely downplay the signing, but a two-time 1000 yard rusher could quite conceivably take away the job.
I'm a Jones owner, and I won't downplay this. I don't like it at all. But, considering Richie Anderson's release, and the "death" of Eddie George, it had to happen...was more of a who, than an if.I'd be more worried if I had overt manlove for Marion Barber, like some of the other fish here in the "pool" seem to have.

As a rookie. Did I mention he was a rookie?

Taking the job from Eddie George. Anthony Thomas lost his job to Thomas Jones, who will likely lose his job to a rookie.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the A-Train...he left the station some time ago.

Considering no one wanted Atrain and he has acquired calluses on his knees praying for a team to make him an offer, any offer, I wouldn't be concerned with him taking any meaninful carries away from JJ.On the shark hand, I like the way people are responding. All that tells me is that I can get JJ later in the draft thus providing what may become a great value pick.

Just got this from NFL.com"Anthony will provide an excellent compliment to the other backs we have on the roster," said Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones. "He gives us depth and experience and makes. His addition will make us take a long hard look at carrying four backs on the roster in the fall." I'm pretty sure "compliment" isn't a synonym for backup.
They always have four RBs: Last year--JJ Express, E. George, R. Lee, R. Anderson so this means nothing.A-train and Barber were brought in to replace George and Anderson. Guys he signed a ONE YEAR CONTRACT and everybody's pants have gone crazy.And Collin you're right, someone will bump this thread in December. :yes:

Julius Jones did not have and TDs vs. Philly. Here is the breakdown:Vs. Chicago, Seattle, and NYG: 92 car 497 rush yards 5.4 YPC 6 TDs; 9 rec 56 rec yards 0 TDs

Vs. Cle, Balt, NO, Philly, and Was: 105 car 322 rush yards 3.1 YPC 1 TD; 8 rec 53 rec yards 0 TDs (Although you consider this as admirable, I am not sure this won't get him on the sideline in favor of A-Train or the rookie)

I was a Jones owner and he posted huge numbers in 3 games (against bad rush Defenses), but was a not much of a factor in the other games. Jones was allowed to post pedestrian numbers and get huge numbers of carries when he struggled since Dallas did not have a capable backup last year. Look for A-Train and possibly the rookie to get some carries and keep Julius' fantasy value in perspective.
So you are the type of person who discounts a players one big play? Of corse he struggles against teams like Bal and Phi, they have good D's and the Cowboys O sucked last year. If you diminish what he did against good teams, you have also have to acknowledge what he did against poor defensive teams. It all balances out.

See you all in the December bump.

So, the fact that he feasted on bad defenses (which is what pretty-good-but-not-great RBs do) and was bottled up by good defenses (which is what pretty-good-but-not-great RBs do), Jones is suddenly not valuable?I'm just trying to understand. I'm not advocating the guy as an RB1 at all. That would be a mistake. He's a mid-range RB2, IMO. Bringing in Thomas does little to change that value. Colin

Cowboys bring A-Train aboard with 1-year dealBy Rick HerrinStar-Telegram Staff WriterThe Cowboys added depth at running back, signing free agent Anthony Thomas on Monday.Thomas signed a one-year deal with a $600,000 base salary and a signing bonus of roughly $350,000. Thomas, 27, was an unrestricted free agent and no longer in the Chicago Bears' plans after they drafted Cedric Benson out of Texas with the fourth overall pick and re-signed Thomas Jones before last season."A lot of teams had a lot of good things to offer, but I really liked this opportunity," Thomas said. "The O-line looks strong and healthy. I like the quarterback. [The Cowboys] are on the way up."Thomas, a former Michigan standout known as the "A-Train," was the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2001 after rushing for 1,183 yards and seven touchdowns.But, last season, Thomas lost the starting job to Jones, the older brother of Cowboys starting running back Julius Jones. Thomas (6-foot-2, 225 pounds) rushed for a career-low 404 yards and two touchdowns. He is strong in short-yardage situations and has been a featured back."Anthony will provide an excellent complement to the other backs we have on the roster," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.Thomas joins a crowded group behind starter Julius Jones. The Cowboys drafted Marion Barber III iand have returnees ReShard Lee and Erik Bickerstaff, and rookie Tyson Thompson.IN THE KNOWThomas' numbersAnthony Thomas' rushing statistics in four seasons with the Chicago Bears:Season G Att. Yds. Avg. TD 2001 14 278 1,183 4.3 7 2002 12 214 721 3.4 6 2003 13 244 1,024 4.2 6 2004 12 122 404 3.3 2 Total 51 858 3,332 3.9 21

A) You're wrong. Jones endured the bulk of the work (effectively, I might add) after returning from a freak injury. There was no further injury once he returned and he held up admirably in helping the Cowboys make a last season push for wins.

B) No argument here. He brought in an effective backup. Good play by the Cowboys.

THe writing is on the wall. LHUCKS will be wrong again this year about something significant, and he'll go to great lengths to make sure no one understands his point so he simply looks "misinterpretted" rather than "wrong."

"If you can't convince them, confuse them" - Ronald Reagan

Colin
I'm not starting on the C. Brown argument, but you're basically mischaracterizing my entire argument.
And it only took 9 minutes. :lmao: :lmao:

6 Pages on a third string RB. I learned my lesson the extreme hard way with Dayne so I'm walking away from this one.

This entire thread is unbelievable. LOL @ all the angry JJ owners...exact same phenomenon as last year when I said Chris Brown couldn't stay healthy(which was accurate)...and then the angry Chrissy mob ensued.
Nothing like that at all. Around this time last year, you said Brown had no chance to start over Eddie George even though he was unsigned at the time -- according to you it was a 50-1 shot that George wouldn't be back. When that position became untenable, you morphed into "Chrissy can't handle the load" and they didn't bring Antowain Smith in to ride pine, which was still only half right at best.As for Jones, I was a bit leary already since his production seemed to be buoyed by an enormous workload which you couldn't really expect to be repeated. Injury aside, he should still be a top 10 guy in terms of rushing attempts since Dallas may lead the league in that category so I don't this signing having a significant impact on his status as a solid #2 type of back.

This entire thread is unbelievable.  LOL @ all the angry JJ owners...exact same phenomenon as last year when I said Chris Brown couldn't stay healthy(which was accurate)...and then the angry Chrissy mob ensued. 
Nothing like that at all. Around this time last year, you said Brown had no chance to start over Eddie George even though he was unsigned at the time -- according to you it was a 50-1 shot that George wouldn't be back. When that position became untenable, you morphed into "Chrissy can't handle the load" and they didn't bring Antowain Smith in to ride pine, which was still only half right at best.As for Jones, I was a bit leary already since his production seemed to be buoyed by an enormous workload which you couldn't really expect to be repeated. Injury aside, he should still be a top 10 guy in terms of rushing attempts since Dallas may lead the league in that category so I don't this signing having a significant impact on his status as a solid #2 type of back.
Damn it I can't help it when I see stuff like what was quoted in this post. Chris Brown has the body type and history of injuries while JJ does not. In an attempt to toughin him up, which was successful later in the season, went bad when Parcells left him on the field with a shoulder injury that should have been taken care of preseason.

6 Pages on a third string RB. I learned my lesson the extreme hard way with Dayne so I'm walking away from this one.
I'm not going to even bother to read through this stuff. 6 pages on a total non-event. Low to no impact option for FFL unless you are trying to figure out how to handcuff JJ in a deep bench league. JJ remains a solid RB2 candidate regardless. It remains to be seen if people will load up the box on Dallas because the passing game is pretty spare.

Adding A-Train only makes Dallas a better overall football team. Dallas plans on improving their defense and running the football, all else be damned.Does it hurt Julius JOnes, maybe slightly. However, without help, he could also be knocked out or run into the ground half way thru the season. In the long term, I believe this helps him. Down the stretch, if Dallas is in contention for a playoff spot, they will ride Julius as he is a talented back.I think Dallas is the most improved team in the NFL from last year on paper. To make a move this year, they needed to be.

I'm not going to read 6 pages on the Dallas running situation. However, for those posters that think A-Train will unseat J.Jones.....I'll say this.....there is a reason why A.Thomas wasn't resigned by the Bears for peanuts. If he was such a great RB....the Bears would have kept him and drafted Mike Williams. There also is a reason why there was little interest in Thomas by any other team outside of being a backup. Once J.Jones was healthy and inserted into the starting lineup, Dallas starting to look like a playoff team. J.Jones is the clear cut starter. Thomas and Barber provide the Boys with much needed depth. If Jones goes down....Dalls won't be sunk. Eddie George & R.Lee were not adequate backups last year. Nice signing by the Cowboys.

I'm not going to read 6 pages on the Dallas running situation. However, for those posters that think A-Train will unseat J.Jones.....I'll say this.....there is a reason why A.Thomas wasn't resigned by the Bears for peanuts. If he was such a great RB....the Bears would have kept him and drafted Mike Williams. There also is a reason why there was little interest in Thomas by any other team outside of being a backup.

Once J.Jones was healthy and inserted into the starting lineup, Dallas starting to look like a playoff team. J.Jones is the clear cut starter. Thomas and Barber provide the Boys with much needed depth. If Jones goes down....Dalls won't be sunk. Eddie George & R.Lee were not adequate backups last year.

Nice signing by the Cowboys.
First, in the six pages nobody is saying A'train is going to unseat JJ, just some feel that he's going to cut into his overall production.Also, I feel you are slightly contradicting yourself in acting like A-Train is no big deal, saying he's around for a reason, hinting he's probably not that good, that's why he's still around. Yet, your last sentence says nice signing by the Cowboys. Which is it ? Is he going to produce, which ultimately cuts into JJ's production or is it no big deal to get him on the team?

I will add one thought into the mix here - just my $0.02.A-train allegedly had received offers from a few different teams (could just be agent BS, but I would not be surprised - he is a very capable guy with a good track record and could fill a valuable role on many NFL teams at a low cost).One of the sticking points throughout all of this for the A-train has been that he wanted to go somewhere where he could play. Why did A-train choose Dallas over somewhere else? Consider whether Parcells may have made some representation to A-train that he would be getting substantial playing time (maybe short-yardage / goal line?) or at least a chance to earn substantial playing time?If you are in the camp that thinks A-train is worthless and noone wanted him, then this logic probably doesn't fly, but if you think that A-train was even a minimally valuable commodity, consider whether there might be more to this than meets the eye.

I will add one thought into the mix here - just my $0.02.

A-train allegedly had received offers from a few different teams (could just be agent BS, but I would not be surprised - he is a very capable guy with a good track record and could fill a valuable role on many NFL teams at a low cost).

One of the sticking points throughout all of this for the A-train has been that he wanted to go somewhere where he could play. Why did A-train choose Dallas over somewhere else?

Consider whether Parcells may have made some representation to A-train that he would be getting substantial playing time (maybe short-yardage / goal line?) or at least a chance to earn substantial playing time?

If you are in the camp that thinks A-train is worthless and noone wanted him, then this logic probably doesn't fly, but if you think that A-train was even a minimally valuable commodity, consider whether there might be more to this than meets the eye.
Sort of like how Duce Staley chose Pitt over Detroit because he was promised more playing time?Colin

A-train allegedly had received offers from a few different teams (could just be agent BS, but I would not be surprised - he is a very capable guy with a good track record and could fill a valuable role on many NFL teams at a low cost).

One of the sticking points throughout all of this for the A-train has been that he wanted to go somewhere where he could play.  Why did A-train choose Dallas over somewhere else? 

Consider whether Parcells may have made some representation to A-train that he would be getting substantial playing time (maybe short-yardage / goal line?) or at least a chance to earn substantial playing time?

If you are in the camp that thinks A-train is worthless and noone wanted him, then this logic probably doesn't fly, but if you think that A-train was even a minimally valuable commodity, consider whether there might be more to this than meets the eye.
Sort of like how Duce Staley chose Pitt over Detroit because he was promised more playing time?Colin
Let me guess, you own Julius Jones? Sounds awful defensive.I'm just raising what I thought was an interesting point, take from it what you wish.

So, the fact that he feasted on bad defenses (which is what pretty-good-but-not-great RBs do) and was bottled up by good defenses (which is what pretty-good-but-not-great RBs do), Jones is suddenly not valuable?

I'm just trying to understand. I'm not advocating the guy as an RB1 at all. That would be a mistake. He's a mid-range RB2, IMO. Bringing in Thomas does little to change that value.

Colin
Colin, I agree with you - Julius Jones is still valuable and a respectable mid-range #2 RB. I never said he was no longer valuable; however, some owners seem to regard his as a top 10 RB overall or #1 RB. Fact remains - Dallas did not have a capable backup RB last year who could lighten the load which often enabled Jones to approach or exceed 30 carries per game.

Excellent addition by Dallas - Depth at RB and a capable player to start or reduce the workload if necessary.

So, the fact that he feasted on bad defenses (which is what pretty-good-but-not-great RBs do) and was bottled up by good defenses (which is what pretty-good-but-not-great RBs do), Jones is suddenly not valuable?

I'm just trying to understand.  I'm not advocating the guy as an RB1 at all.  That would be a mistake.  He's a mid-range RB2, IMO.  Bringing in Thomas does little to change that value. 

Colin
Colin, I agree with you - Julius Jones is still valuable and a respectable mid-range #2 RB. I never said he was no longer valuable; however, some owners seem to regard his as a top 10 RB overall or #1 RB. Fact remains - Dallas did not have a capable backup RB last year who could lighten the load which often enabled Jones to approach or exceed 30 carries per game.

Excellent addition by Dallas - Depth at RB and a capable player to start or reduce the workload if necessary.
If you're starting Julius Jones as a mid-range RB2 this year, you'll be doing well.

I'm just trying to understand.  I'm not advocating the guy as an RB1 at all.  That would be a mistake.  He's a mid-range RB2, IMO.  Bringing in Thomas does little to change that value. 

Colin

If you're starting Julius Jones as a mid-range RB2 this year, you'll be doing well.
I pick 1.01 and 1.04 in the rookie draft, so Jones could conceivably be my RB3/Flex. :excited:

One of the sticking points throughout all of this for the A-train has been that he wanted to go somewhere where he could play.  Why did A-train choose Dallas over somewhere else? 

Let me guess, you own Julius Jones? Sounds awful defensive.I'm just raising what I thought was an interesting point, take from it what you wish.
It was an interesting point. No one is free to respond?I do own Jones, but I'm not unreasonable. I said earlier I really like the signing for the Cowboys and I think Thomas will certainly get some carries. I just happen to think that considering there are going to be more than enough carries to go around in Dallas, the signing doesn't adversly affect Jones too much.

COlin

It was an interesting point. No one is free to respond?I do own Jones, but I'm not unreasonable. I said earlier I really like the signing for the Cowboys and I think Thomas will certainly get some carries. I just happen to think that considering there are going to be more than enough carries to go around in Dallas, the signing doesn't adversly affect Jones too much.

COlin
Of course you can respond, but your response seemed rather dismissive.I don't know that my point would necessarily hurts Jones' value much (maybe somewhat), but it might mean that the A-train could actually end up being a better option this year than any of us realizes, particularly in a larger league with flex positions. And maybe he even comes with some big upside - if Jones were to get hurt or hit a sophomore slump (See, e.g., Willy Green, Barlow, etc.), I could envision a scenario where Parcells gives the rock to A-train and he runs away with it.

Time will tell.

Man, does this signing make me happy. Suffering through Eddie George last season has made me appreciate what a solid RB can do for a team. Even if he only gets 120 carries this season, I think Thomas will be effective and make Jones that much more effective.

COlin
Of course you can respond, but your response seemed rather dismissive.I don't know that my point would necessarily hurts Jones' value much (maybe somewhat), but it might mean that the A-train could actually end up being a better option this year than any of us realizes, particularly in a larger league with flex positions. And maybe he even comes with some big upside - if Jones were to get hurt or hit a sophomore slump (See, e.g., Willy Green, Barlow, etc.), I could envision a scenario where Parcells gives the rock to A-train and he runs away with it.

Time will tell.
Apologies, then. I didn't mean to sound dismissive, only to suggest that summer-time promises of playing time mean very little when its go-time. I think that Thomas is well worth rostering in larger leagues.COlin

I'd imagine Thomas thinks he has the best chance to win in Dallas, which is why he signed with Dallas as a role player over other teams that may have offered him more carries.

I should have specified..."Unseat". There are people that commented that signing A.Thomas will impact J.Jones production and turn this into a RBBC situation. What I'm saying is that A.Thomas is a good back...but not in the same ballpark as J.Jones. He is a servicable backup that could put up RB2 numbers in the right offense given the starting job....but he does't possess the skills that Jones has and will not cut into Jones production anymore than any other backup would.

Thomas was a good signing by the Cowboys because he is an obvious upgrade over last year's backups (George & Lee).

I'm not going to read 6 pages on the Dallas running situation.  However, for those posters that think A-Train will unseat J.Jones.....I'll say this.....there is a reason why A.Thomas wasn't resigned by the Bears for peanuts.  If he was such a great RB....the Bears would have kept him and drafted Mike Williams.  There also is a reason why there was little interest in Thomas by any other team outside of being a backup. 

Once J.Jones was healthy and inserted into the starting lineup, Dallas starting to look like a playoff team.  J.Jones is the clear cut starter.  Thomas and Barber provide the Boys with much needed depth.  If Jones goes down....Dalls won't be sunk.  Eddie George & R.Lee were not adequate backups last year. 

Nice signing by the Cowboys.
First, in the six pages nobody is saying A'train is going to unseat JJ, just some feel that he's going to cut into his overall production.Also, I feel you are slightly contradicting yourself in acting like A-Train is no big deal, saying he's around for a reason, hinting he's probably not that good, that's why he's still around. Yet, your last sentence says nice signing by the Cowboys. Which is it ? Is he going to produce, which ultimately cuts into JJ's production or is it no big deal to get him on the team?

Im not disagreeing with you here but I am positive is Parcels spoke to him directly or if he was asked he would always openly admit that every position is up for grabs. It will be an open competition in camp, there shouldn't be any doubt about that. As far as A-train cutting into his carries? I just can't see it. I have also seen people on here mention A-train would be a good 3rd down back. I think Jones fits the mold of a 3rd down back to a Tee. He is fast, can catch the screens, and he's shifty.

All I can see A-train doing is getting 3-5 carries a game with a 10 carry game tossed in there during a blowout. Now if Julius gets hurt, plays poorly, I think A-Train will be a serviceable solution and nothing more. The got two thousand yard seasons in an era where it isn't that uncommon. They were barely 2k seasons anyway. I like Thomas as much as the next guy but he lacks the explosive speed that Julius Jones can provide on any given play.

Any Black and Blue fans who have seen Thomas's pass pro skills? If he can block, Parcels may reward him with a bone or two, ie. Goaline carries. Other in that he may just improve Jones ranking in my book because Jones will have fresher legs.

Julius Jones + fresh legs = more explosives.

Just to play devil's advocate and bring the thread back full circle (with the disclaimer that I'm neither a Jones or Thomas owner).What makes people firmly believe that Jones is the clear cut/no questions asked starter this year? People can point to Jones' explosiveness relative to Thomas, but I haven't heard anything from Tuna or Jerry Jones that indicates that they're totally set on Jones carrying the load.Again, I'm not saying that Jones won't be the guy, I'm just pointing out that many owners may be setting their expectations too high based upon last year.

Wow, I am just amazed that a spare like anthony Thomas could generate 175 post in less than a day.
As am I.I state that A-Train takes away 25-40 ff points from where I originally had JJ projected and then bam, every JJ owner on the board gets their panties in a bunch :lmao:

What makes people firmly believe that Jones is the clear cut/no questions asked starter this year? People can point to Jones' explosiveness relative to Thomas, but I haven't heard anything from Tuna or Jerry Jones that indicates that they're totally set on Jones carrying the load.
Maybe you missed this, but straight from the horses mouth from today's Startelegram: "Anthony will provide an excellent complement to the other backs we have on the roster," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.Thomas joins a crowded group behind starter Julius Jones. The Cowboys drafted Marion Barber III iand have returnees ReShard Lee and Erik Bickerstaff, and rookie Tyson Thompson."If "carrying the load" means starting then it surely sounds like a clear starter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread