What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A-Train Signs with Cowboys (1 Viewer)

What makes people firmly believe that Jones is the clear cut/no questions asked starter this year? People can point to Jones' explosiveness relative to Thomas, but I haven't heard anything from Tuna or Jerry Jones that indicates that they're totally set on Jones carrying the load.
Maybe you missed this, but straight from the horses mouth from today's Startelegram: "Anthony will provide an excellent complement to the other backs we have on the roster," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.Thomas joins a crowded group behind starter Julius Jones. The Cowboys drafted Marion Barber III iand have returnees ReShard Lee and Erik Bickerstaff, and rookie Tyson Thompson."

If "carrying the load" means starting then it surely sounds like a clear starter to me.
complement, n - Something which, when added, completes or makes up a whole; each of two parts which mutually complete each other, or supply each other's deficiencies. I don't think your cite to that article proves anything other than A-train will be used. It does not say Jones is the starter. The author of the article, not the "horse's mouth", is what says he is "behind starter Julius Jones".

I don't think your cite to that article proves anything other than A-train will be used. It does not say Jones is the starter. The author of the article, not the "horse's mouth", is what says he is "behind starter Julius Jones".
From dallascowboys.com: But the addition of Thomas gives the Cowboys more size and depth at running back, a position head coach Bill Parcells said he wanted to address in the off-season. Parcells made it clear he wanted to give Julius Jones some help after the rookie tied an NFL-record with Earl Campbell as the only backs in league history to have at least 30 carries in three straight games. While Jones is the projected starter, having rushed for 819 yards in only eight games as a rookie, Barber's spot should be rather safe as well, being a fourth-round pick. Read it for yourself:http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_800.cfm?id=9F9422A9-A4BF-5FE4-9708AF6273E68A89

I'm pretty sure that counts as taking carries.
No, that counts as coachspeak. Please let us know how many carries A-Train had in week 11.TIA
Oh, we're going to dismiss that as coachspeak :rolleyes:
so, basically you are predicting that (a) JJones will get hurt and (b) when JJones gets hurt, he will not be rushed back because ATrain is a capable backup. correct? or what other factors are involved?
I actually believe it is much more simple than that,A) JJ couldn't handle the full load last year and had not one but two injuries

B) Parcells brings in a back that was by most accounts still very effective as a between the tackles type of RB and has proven to be durable.

The writing is on the wall. JJ will lose touches over the course of the year...probably a significant amount.
WTF? HE BROKE A BONE! This isn't "pulling a hammy" or "not being durable enough."You were dead wrong about "stealing carries" and you can't back away from it. We get it.

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys waived RB ReShard Lee Tuesday with the signing of free-agent RB Anthony Thomas becoming official. :mellow:

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys waived RB ReShard Lee Tuesday with the signing of free-agent RB Anthony Thomas becoming official.

:mellow:
Better drop JJones even further. :lmao:

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys waived RB ReShard Lee Tuesday with the signing of free-agent RB Anthony Thomas becoming official.

wow, that surprises me. I thought Lee looked decent as a spot back.

Wow, I am just amazed that a spare like anthony Thomas could generate 175 post in less than a day.
As am I.I state that A-Train takes away 25-40 ff points from where I originally had JJ projected and then bam, every JJ owner on the board gets their panties in a bunch :lmao:
But he didn't. He took them away from whomever was going to be the backup.

I'm pretty sure that counts as taking carries.
No, that counts as coachspeak. Please let us know how many carries A-Train had in week 11.TIA
Oh, we're going to dismiss that as coachspeak :rolleyes:
so, basically you are predicting that (a) JJones will get hurt and (b) when JJones gets hurt, he will not be rushed back because ATrain is a capable backup. correct? or what other factors are involved?
I actually believe it is much more simple than that,A) JJ couldn't handle the full load last year and had not one but two injuries

B) Parcells brings in a back that was by most accounts still very effective as a between the tackles type of RB and has proven to be durable.

The writing is on the wall. JJ will lose touches over the course of the year...probably a significant amount.
WTF? HE BROKE A BONE! This isn't "pulling a hammy" or "not being durable enough."You were dead wrong about "stealing carries" and you can't back away from it. We get it.
:blackdot: Uh...wrong.

check your facts scuppy and tell me why he missed game 1...hint, I posted it earlier in this thread.

Also, how was I wrong about "stealing carries."

Wow, I am just amazed that a spare like anthony Thomas could generate 175 post in less than a day.
As am I.I state that A-Train takes away 25-40 ff points from where I originally had JJ projected and then bam, every JJ owner on the board gets their panties in a bunch :lmao:
What's with the past tense Scuppy, "didn't."You are already proclaiming Thomas has not taken away carries...let's try the future tense, "will not"

It shouldn't surprise you at all. The guy couldn't get the blocking thing down.

It shouldn't surprise you at all. The guy couldn't get the blocking thing down.
True, but a cut this early is surprising. Especially with Anderson gone.

What's with the past tense Scuppy, "didn't."You are already proclaiming Thomas has not taken away carries...let's try the future tense, "will not"
Didn't/Won't...whatever floats your boat and still points out that you're wrong. Now who's panties are all bunched up?

Didn't/Won't...whatever floats your boat and still points out that you're wrong. Now who's panties are all bunched up?
"Ponts out I'm wrong" about a season that hasn't started yet. Uh...ok.

Yeah. Wrong. A-Train is coming in to replace Lee (obviously). He'll get those carries, and if Jones gets hurt, he's a more capable backup.

Yeah. Wrong. A-Train is coming in to replace Lee (obviously). He'll get those carries, and if Jones gets hurt, he's a more capable backup.
So Rashard Lee = A-Train in your estimation. :popcorn:

So Rashard Lee = A-Train in your estimation. :popcorn:
No. He's better than Lee. But give me one single reason to believe they wouldn't go with the player who has more talent. Tuna isn't much of a guy to "spread it around"....Eddie George stunk, and still got the carries until JJ stepped in. JJ avg nearly 27.5 carries per game over the last 7 games, Rashard Lee didn't play, and Eddie George had 10 carries.When George was the feature back (weeks 1-8) he averaged less than 13 carries a game, Lee averaged less than 3 carries a week. Now, that's less than 31 carries on the year for those 2 backups...if Jones gets 27 carries a week, this won't matter. Even if you added Richie Anderson's totals, 57, that's less than 100 carries on the year. Jones showed he can be a workhorse...they'll likely let him.

A-train lost his job to Thomas Jones, for god's sake. He's not good, he'll be a backup, and certainly won't take more carries than all 3 RB's combined.

After reading through eight pages, I'd like to weigh in with some opinions:Jets RBs not named Curtis Martin carried 99 times last year, including 92 by Lamont Jordan.Chargers RBs not named LaDainian Tomlinson carried 110 times last year.Martin and Tomlinson ranked 3rd and 4th among fantasy runners. Martin was the only player in the NFL to total 400 touches. Julius Jones may not be as good as Martin or Jordan, but the notion that a backup RB getting 100 carries kills a player's fantasy value is not absolute.In 2003, Parcells ran Troy Hambrick 275 times. Other RBs totaled 161 carries. Quincy Carter had 68 carries. Riche Anderson was used almost like a HB, due to the ineffectiveness of Cowboys RBs and WRs. He had 69 receptions in 2003.Drew Bledsoe should get about 50 less carries than Quincy Carter did. The Cowboys have failed to sign a FB, and I'm not sure where those 69 receptions will go either. But Cowboys backup RBs had 161 carries in 2003. EVEN if Thomas gets 150 carries (and RB3-X on the depth chart get 11 carries), Jones can still get a ton of carries. He'll pick up the 50 carries from Quincy Carter, which puts him at 325. He's also a much better runner than Troy Hambrick, so calling two extra running plays a game seems reasonable -- a safe guess could put him at 350. And Dallas will surely run more without the option of throwing 69 passes to Richie Anderson.So realistically, Julius Jones could have a boatload of carries, and Anthony Thomas could easily clear 100.Edited to correctly reflect which Thomas I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading through eight pages, I'd like to weigh in with some opinions:

Jets RBs not named Curtis Martin carried 99 times last year, including 92 by Lamont Jordan.

Chargers RBs not named LaDainian Tomlinson carried 110 times last year.

Martin and Tomlinson ranked 3rd and 4th among fantasy runners. Martin was the only player in the NFL to total 400 touches. Julius Jones may not be as good as Martin or Jordan, but the notion that a backup RB getting 100 carries kills a player's fantasy value is not absolute.

In 2003, Parcells ran Troy Hambrick 275 times. Other RBs totaled 161 carries. Quincy Carter had 68 carries. Riche Anderson was used almost like a RB, due to the ineffectiveness of Cowboys RBs and WRs. He had 69 receptions in 2003.

Drew Bledsoe should get about 50 less carries than Quincy Carter did. The Cowboys have failed to sign a FB, and I'm not sure where those 69 receptions will go either. But Cowboys backup RBs had 161 carries in 2003. EVEN if Thomas gets 150 carries (and RB3-X on the depth chart get 11 carries), Jones can still get a ton of carries. He'll pick up the 50 carries from Quincy Carter, which puts him at 325. He's also a much better runner than Troy Hambrick, so calling two extra running plays a game seems reasonable -- a safe guess could put him at 350. And Dallas will surely run more without the option of throwing 69 passes to Richie Anderson.

So realistically, Julius Jones could have a boatload of carries, and Thomas Jones could easily clear 100.
:goodposting:

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm guessing that Dallas will run the ball more this year, trying to win with ball control and defense. Consequently, the run/pass ratio as well as the total number of carries by the team should increase. Keep that in mind.

Jets RBs not named Curtis Martin carried 99 times last year, including 92 by Lamont Jordan.

Martin and Tomlinson ranked 3rd and 4th among fantasy runners. Martin was the only player in the NFL to total 400 touches. Julius Jones may not be as good as Martin or Jordan, but the notion that a backup RB getting 100 carries kills a player's fantasy value is not absolute.

In 2003, Parcells ran Troy Hambrick 275 times. Other RBs totaled 161 carries. Quincy Carter had 68 carries. Riche Anderson was used almost like a HB, due to the ineffectiveness of Cowboys RBs and WRs. He had 69 receptions in 2003.

Drew Bledsoe should get about 50 less carries than Quincy Carter did. The Cowboys have failed to sign a FB, and I'm not sure where those 69 receptions will go either. But Cowboys backup RBs had 161 carries in 2003. EVEN if Thomas gets 150 carries (and RB3-X on the depth chart get 11 carries), Jones can still get a ton of carries. He'll pick up the 50 carries from Quincy Carter, which puts him at 325. He's also a much better runner than Troy Hambrick, so calling two extra running plays a game seems reasonable -- a safe guess could put him at 350. And Dallas will surely run more without the option of throwing 69 passes to Richie Anderson.

So realistically, Julius Jones could have a boatload of carries, and Anthony Thomas could easily clear 100.

Edited to correctly reflect which Thomas I meant.
Please don't confuse this situation with facts... :D

I would like to remind everyone that last year, Dallas inquired about ATrain before the draft when he was in Chicago, Tuna must see something in him. Billy wanted him last year and got him without giving up anything, and he thinks JJ is fragile. We will see

In 2003, Parcells ran Troy Hambrick 275 times. Other RBs totaled 161 carries. Quincy Carter had 68 carries. Riche Anderson was used almost like a HB, due to the ineffectiveness of Cowboys RBs and WRs. He had 69 receptions in 2003.

So realistically, Julius Jones could have a boatload of carries, and Anthony Thomas could easily clear 100.

Edited to correctly reflect which Thomas I meant.
Please don't confuse this situation with facts... :D
This is a good post. Last year Anderson's production dropped and we saw Witten's number sky rocket. I would expect that trend to continue making Witten one of the top 3 TE's right behind Gates.

I would like to remind everyone that last year, Dallas inquired about ATrain before the draft when he was in Chicago, Tuna must see something in him.

Billy wanted him last year and got him without giving up anything, and he thinks JJ is fragile. We will see
Any other confirmed insight you would like to share with us? Giving someone 27 carries a game certainly confirms your assertion... :mellow: Colin

From the Jerry JOnes thread where he says 20 carries or less for JJ this year. That sounds a lot closer to RBBC than what many of us thought previously (20 to 25 per game). Take it for what it's worth:"When Anthony Thomas looks at the Cowboys and sees Julius Jones, who when healthy is a horse. Then you draft MB3, who is a good player. Why sign here?A-Train certainly thinks he can compete with a rookie in Barber. He knows that he’s 6’1” 225 lbs and we don’t have a runner like that in our groups. He is realistic about Julius being the starter, but also knows that Julius won’t get the carries Emmitt got. You really want Julius to be a 20 carry or less per game back. So there’s plenty of carries to go round. "

From the Jerry JOnes thread where he says 20 carries or less for JJ this year. That sounds a lot closer to RBBC than what many of us thought previously (20 to 25 per game). Take it for what it's worth:

"When Anthony Thomas looks at the Cowboys and sees Julius Jones, who when healthy is a horse. Then you draft MB3, who is a good player. Why sign here?

A-Train certainly thinks he can compete with a rookie in Barber. He knows that he’s 6’1” 225 lbs and we don’t have a runner like that in our groups. He is realistic about Julius being the starter, but also knows that Julius won’t get the carries Emmitt got. You really want Julius to be a 20 carry or less per game back. So there’s plenty of carries to go round. "
20 carries a game is 320 in a season, which firmly places the RB in the top-10 (or higher) for carries. :confused:

From the Jerry JOnes thread where he says 20 carries or less for JJ this year.  That sounds a lot closer to RBBC than what many of us thought previously (20 to 25 per game).  Take it for what it's worth:

"When Anthony Thomas looks at the Cowboys and sees Julius Jones, who when healthy is a horse. Then you draft MB3, who is a good player. Why sign here?

A-Train certainly thinks he can compete with a rookie in Barber. He knows that he’s 6’1” 225 lbs and we don’t have a runner like that in our groups. He is realistic about Julius being the starter, but also knows that Julius won’t get the carries Emmitt got. You really want Julius to be a 20 carry or less per game back. So there’s plenty of carries to go round. "
20 carries a game is 320 in a season, which firmly places the RB in the top-10 (or higher) for carries. :confused:
I don't think Jerry is setting the over/under at 320.I'd say more like 280...which is still respectable.

From the Jerry JOnes thread where he says 20 carries or less for JJ this year.  That sounds a lot closer to RBBC than what many of us thought previously (20 to 25 per game).  Take it for what it's worth:

I don't think Jerry is setting the over/under at 320.I'd say more like 280...which is still respectable.
280 carries would have ranked 12th in 2002, 15th in 2003, and 11th in 2004.PLenty respectable indeed.

Colin

20 carries a game is 320 in a season, which firmly places the RB in the top-10 (or higher) for carries.
Assuming every RB plays a full 16 games, which there are probably about 10 RBs in the league who did so. Jones averaged 27 carries a start last season. Getting him down to 20 or less is at least a 25% drop off in carries. If Jones played a full season doing what he did last year he would have 432 carries, obviously not going to happen, so somebody else will get carries.

Correction, there were 7 running backs that started at tailback all 16 games. Any back that starts all 16 games will be in the top ten in carries pretty much by default. Warrick Dunn clocked in 14th in carries splitting carries with TJ (104) and Vick (121) is the only exception. I think the more proper statistic is carries per start.

Fair enough Colin, but it goes to my earlier point that the kid was poised to potentially have a very special season (350 carries, lots of yards and TDs). Now it will only be respectable. That's fine, but if you are looking for a less than obvious RB with top 5ish upside (and I think JJ had that prior to the draft and this signing), he's probably not that guy now. I'd be comfortable with him as an RB2 though. I think a lot of owners had him projected as an okay RB1 recently, at least until now.Further, I just never agreed that the Thomas signing was a good thing for JJ from the beginning as some argued earlier. It doesn't seem logical that signing another decent RB can help JJ, other than extending his lifespan for keeper/dynasty purposes. Even in a dynasty format, I'd like to find the occassional guy that has a huge season (such as JJ might have had) and then trade him for a pile and look for the next one.

Fair enough Colin, but it goes to my earlier point that the kid was poised to potentially have a very special season (350 carries, lots of yards and TDs). Now it will only be respectable. That's fine, but if you are looking for a less than obvious RB with top 5ish upside (and I think JJ had that prior to the draft and this signing), he's probably not that guy now. I'd be comfortable with him as an RB2 though. I think a lot of owners had him projected as an okay RB1 recently, at least until now.
Interesting. I think Jones upside is top-10. However, he has the ability to have week-leading games, which helps immensly. I do not expect him to ever be a top-5 RB, and I wouldn't draft him in the top-5. But a 2nd round selections (RB2) capable of 150+ yard multi-TD games is significantly more valuable then an RB2 that chugs along getting 70 yards a week without big games, IMO.Colin

I wouldnt want him as my #1 RB, but if you like to gamble and you want Moss or Owens late in the 1st, JJ might be the high risk high reward guy to look for on the way back. Your season could be over by week 6 or you could be running away with first place. :popcorn:

Atrain will have to compete for roster spot

IRVING, Texas - Got to give credit where credit is due, and admit this didn't dawn on me until . . . .

Walking back towards the locker room after one of those five mini-camp practices, Bill Parcells sauntered by after coaching up his return guys, and sort of under his breath without breaking stride says to me, "How'd you like those running backs?"

Big smile follows, with an approving nod, as in "best group I've had since I've been here."

No kidding. Not even close, come to think of it.

Those running backs he speaks of are Julius Jones, Marion Barber, Anthony Thomas, Erik Bickerstaff and Tyson Thompson - a second-round pick, a fourth-round pick, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher/2001 offensive rookie of the year, a possibility and a young project with all the speed in the world.

Now Parcells didn't exactly go out on a limb when he would later say his talent at running back is "better than anytime I've been here." That's only two years. He might have said the best for the Cowboys since 2000.

And that's not some blasphemous statement. I'm well aware Emmitt Smith, only the NFL's all-time leading rusher, was still here in 2002, when he broke the NFL's career rushing record and in 2001, which was the final 1,000-yard season of his illustrious 15-year career.

But we're talking the entire package back there, and if you look at the running backs (plural) the Cowboys employed over these past four seasons, well, at least at this point, it would not even be close.

Take last year, and when you do, obviously you won't forget Jones only started the final seven games and played in just one of the first nine (Game 2). Let's see then, that was Eddie George, running as if he had a piano on his back; Richie Anderson, a fullback masquerading as an all-purpose running back at age 33; and second-year guy ReShard Lee, who the head coach didn't trust in the backfield.

No wonder the rookie Jones worked three consecutive 30-carry games when he returned.

Let's go back another year. That would be 1 A.E. (After Emmitt). The starter was Troy Hambrick, a career backup, which still is his role in Arizona if he doesn't get himself cut by not attending the Cardinals off-season practices. He wasn't even drafted into the league.

Then there was Anderson, the fullback and third-down back. Aveion Cason was back there, as was the rookie Bickerstaff, who had like one carry (at fullback) in college and had not played any football since 2001. And who could forget Parcells sinking to bringing Adrian Murrell out of retirement. The guy hadn't carried the ball since 2000.

Must have left Don Perkins, Calvin Hill, Duane Thomas, Tony Dorsett, Hershel Walker and Smith turning on their couches.

Now then, to carry on, in 2002, Emmitt was in his final year with the Cowboys, Hambrick was the backup, with all of 199 career carries, and then there was Michael Wiley. Remember him? The Ohio State running back the Cowboys were going to turn into a slot receiver? That was it.

And if you haven't covered your eyes yet, in 2001, it was the same trio, only Hambrick went into the season with all of six career carries and Wiley 24, and neither had rushed the ball into the end zone in their careers. Nice complements for your 32-year-old running back.

No wonder Parcells was smiling. And he wasn't even factoring in those two years before he got here. For a franchise which has prided itself with having franchise quarterbacks and top-shelf running backs, what in the world was going on? Poor voice of the Cowboys, Brad Sham, having to inform you guys "Carter handing off to Hambrick."

Get outta here.

Now at least on paper, those days seem gone, or at least the Cowboys darn well hope they are. Having Jones potentially for 16 games must make you drool after seeing him rush for 803 yards and seven touchdowns in those final seven games. (That factors out to a 1,815-yard, 16 touchdown season over 16 games.)

"I know what Julius can do," Parcells says.

You bet he does.

Then there's Barber. OK, he's only a rookie, and only a fourth-round draft choice at that. But there appears to be something to this kid. He's bigger than you think, 6-0, 212. He's pretty nifty, too.

"The player Barber reminds me of that I had once before is a kid named Leon Johnson," Parcells said of his former Jets running back. "When we first got Leon (1997), he was your backup runner, third down back. He could return kickoffs, he could return punts, he had good hands, very versatile type player. Barber kind of reminds me of him somewhat.

"So that's kind of the role I hope he can play. To help me 20 to 25 plays on offense and 20 or 25 plays on special teams."

Now Thomas is a little bigger alternative back there. He's 6-2, 225. He's got some experience, having played four years in the NFL, with 37 starts.

But you get the feeling Thomas is going to have to sell himself to Parcells, that it's not an automatic he makes this 53-man roster, even if he was given a $400,000 signing bonus and promised a $600,000 base salary for one year. And even if he does, then it's neither automatic he's active on game day.

Just listen up.

"Now Anthony Thomas, I look at him as a between-the-tackle runner a little bit, OK," Parcells said. "A pretty tough guy, so my vision for him right now would be a thumper kind of running back-short yard and goal line.

"But that's not going to be enough. He's going to have to venture out into the special teams area, which is something he's not been asked to do in his past career much. So if he can't get into doing something on special teams, then there won't be enough jobs for him."

Either to make the roster or to dress on game day?

Then there is the two other youngsters, Bickerstaff, trying to return from last summer's surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon, and Thompson, who played only one season of Division I football. Bickerstaff showed promise in 2003, and had some "thumper" qualities if you're looking for a change of pace. But torn Achilles are hard to recover from, especially for a running back.

Thompson is raw, having played two years in junior college before this past season at San Jose State. But he's got some skills, especially speed, something that can't be coached. He ran the fastest 40 of all the rookies back in April.

"The other kids, they definitely got to fit on special teams," Parcells said, "and hopefully get - show enough that they are going to get the ball once in a while."

But as you can see, it's a whole lot different back there from last year, or the year before, or each of the two years before that. You got a young Julius, I'm guessing a rambunctious Barber, a Thomas looking for redemption and two youngsters desperately trying to make their way.

"I am pleased with what our backfield situation is in terms of how the running backs look like now," Parcells said. "That's much improved over anytime since I've been here, without a question, just on running skill."

Or anytime in the past four years, really, for that matter.

Now that it dawns on me.
Just figured Id post this so LHUCKS could add another 2 pages to this thread. :boxing:

But you get the feeling Thomas is going to have to sell himself to Parcells, that it's not an automatic he makes this 53-man roster, even if he was given a $400,000 signing bonus and promised a $600,000 base salary for one year. And even if he does, then it's neither automatic he's active on game day. Just listen up. "Now Anthony Thomas, I look at him as a between-the-tackle runner a little bit, OK," Parcells said. "A pretty tough guy, so my vision for him right now would be a thumper kind of running back-short yard and goal line. "But that's not going to be enough. He's going to have to venture out into the special teams area, which is something he's not been asked to do in his past career much. So if he can't get into doing something on special teams, then there won't be enough jobs for him." Either to make the roster or to dress on game day?
:popcorn:

Julius Jones is in for a monster year if he doesn't get hurt. Bill Parcells is going to try and win by pounding the football and playing solid defense. A-Train is a backup and Barber is a 3 down guy. Julius JOnes is the go to guy and every down back as much as anyone in the league.My biggest concern is that the O-line holds up. They aren't super talented and aren't significantly deep. However, I've got no problem drafting Julius Jones as my NO. 1 RB, but if I do I am drafting RB RB so that my RB 2 is very solid. For example, I want Julius JOnes and Corey Dillon or Rudi Johnson or Tiki Barber.I don't want Julius Jones with Michael Bennett, Fred Taylor or WArrick Dunn. To much risk involved.

But you get the feeling Thomas is going to have to sell himself to Parcells, that it's not an automatic he makes this 53-man roster, even if he was given a $400,000 signing bonus and promised a $600,000 base salary for one year. And even if he does, then it's neither automatic he's active on game day.

Just listen up.

"Now Anthony Thomas, I look at him as a between-the-tackle runner a little bit, OK," Parcells said. "A pretty tough guy, so my vision for him right now would be a thumper kind of running back-short yard and goal line.

"But that's not going to be enough. He's going to have to venture out into the special teams area, which is something he's not been asked to do in his past career much. So if he can't get into doing something on special teams, then there won't be enough jobs for him."

Either to make the roster or to dress on game day?
:popcorn:
Sounds like a coach trying to motivate a player. If you were A-Train and read that, what would you do?? I know I'd be working hard.......especially on special teams.

Julius Jones is in for a monster year if he doesn't get hurt. Bill Parcells is going to try and win by pounding the football and playing solid defense. A-Train is a backup and Barber is a 3 down guy. Julius JOnes is the go to guy and every down back as much as anyone in the league.

My biggest concern is that the O-line holds up. They aren't super talented and aren't significantly deep. However, I've got no problem drafting Julius Jones as my NO. 1 RB, but if I do I am drafting RB RB so that my RB 2 is very solid. For example, I want Julius JOnes and Corey Dillon or Rudi Johnson or Tiki Barber.

I don't want Julius Jones with Michael Bennett, Fred Taylor or WArrick Dunn. To much risk involved.
Good post Cowboy. I've felt all along that there's been some overreaction to the Atrain signing. Jones will do well this year bording on top 10. The Olone is definately what to what for. What's their depth like? Do they have anyone that can help if a guy goes down?Back to Jones. What do you think he'll do reception wise this year? I read they'd like to get him more involved and if he can his value goes up as far as I'm concerned. Not just do to PPR but because that means he's on the field more and in crucial situations that can lead to a few more TD's.

IMO-Jones is the guy they want on the field in any critcal situation. He clearly gives them the best chance to win.

TIA-Iwannabeajonesowner

Let's go back another year. That would be 1 A.E. (After Emmitt). The starter was Troy Hambrick, a career backup, which still is his role in Arizona if he doesn't get himself cut by not attending the Cardinals off-season practices. He wasn't even drafted into the league.
:confused: Barber 25 plays on offense and 25 on special teams? Uh...that leaves about 320 carries for JJ. :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread