What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AAA’s Old Movies Thread (1 Viewer)

And "Streetcar Named Desire"

Cool Hand Luke

Seven Days in May
Where Eagles Dare

A Face In The Crowd

Once Upon a Time In The West
High Noon
The Wild Bunch

Out Of The Past
American Graffiti

Mr Smith Goes to Washington

Mary Poppins
Brief Encounter

Oh yea, Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorites. Also, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. 

Man, haven’t seen these in a while. Streaming anywhere?

Oh yea, Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorites. Also, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. 

Man, haven’t seen these in a while. Streaming anywhere?
For free...Butch Cassidy is on the Roku channel. CHL not free anywhere.

Kind of funny, isn't it, that we have an aversion to spending $3-5 to rent a movie?

Some Hitchcock I watched the last 2 days while I’m still bedridden:

- The Lady Vanishes - Hitchcock film about a group of travelers on a train and a mystery breaks out when one of them disappears

- Notorious - Andy already discussed it - Grant, Bergman and Rains.  Story of the daughter of a German war criminal - she tried to redeem the family by becoming a spy for the US government in Brazil 

- The Man Who Knew Too Much - I was familiar with Hitchcock’s remake with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day but not this first version which stars Peter Lorre.  I like the remake better but there’s a couple of interesting twists in the original that I really liked.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance- John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin - not quite a western but a film about the transition of the west from open range.  Directed by John Ford.  

The Quiet Man - John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara - story of boxer who moves back to family land in Ireland. Romance and fighting.  Another directed by John Ford.  

John Ford also directed The Searchers - attributed to some as the inspiration for the original Star WRs movie.  
Quite a few weekend afternoons idled away watching The Quiet Man or  Big Jake whenever they were on.

Breathless

D.O.A.
I’ve heard about Breathless for years and finally gave it a shot yesterday.  Struggled through the first 30 minutes and then had to pause it.  Maybe it picks up when I revisit it.  I watch all movies on closed caption as I’m a little hard of hearing so that didn’t bother me.  I’m not huge on foreign language films though as my attention span can wander a little and obviously having to watch the screen closely the entire time becomes a chore.  It wasn’t bad at all and I’ll finish it but it just didn’t grab me, even with some of the action.

D.O.A. - I remember enjoying that one many years ago.  Need to rewatch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve heard about Breathless for years and finally gave it a shot yesterday.  Struggled through the first 30 minutes and then had to pause it.  Maybe it picks up when I revisit it.  I watch all movies on closed caption as I’m a little hard of hearing so that didn’t bother me.  I’m not huge on foreign language films though as my attention span can wander a little and obviously having to watch the screen closely the entire time becomes a chore.  It wasn’t bad at all and I’ll finish it but it just didn’t grab me, even with some of the action.
I like it as an allegory to post-World War II America and Europe.

Pre-war, America was a young and naive. After hooking up with Europe for some good old fashioned nihilism, it's character changed and acquired the same "sensibilities" as its Old World brethren. 

Another not mentioned that I'll add in is Some Like It Hot.  Well-deserving of its place as one of the greatest comedies (if not the greatest comedy) ever made.

A group of movies that I always seem to bring up as underrated/underwatched are some of the old Alec Guinness/Ealing Studios comedies -- Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, Man in the White Suit, The Ladykillers.  They don't get a whole lot of attention on this side of the Atlantic, but have some of that darker British comedy edge that I enjoy.

The Most Dangerous Game (1932 - Jungle sets were also used for simultaneous filming of jungle scenes in King Kong)

The General (Buster Keaton)

Has anyone watched either of these? 

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

He Walked By Night

Ive been wanting to watch a lot of these old flicks myself so thanks for getting a list going. I love old B&W stuff. Not a big fan of very many movies from the 70s. 

I haven't seen them mentioned, and I know his movies are hit or miss for some, but I think a lot of people would still like Kubrick's 50s movies of Paths of Glory and The Killing.    
Love Paths of Glory.  It's the first of Kubrick's anti-war trifecta with Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket.  Also big fan of The Killing.

FWIW, both of those movies feature actor Timothy Carey, who delivered sublime performances in both.

D.O.A. - I remember enjoying that one many years ago.  Need to rewatch it.
I’m not a huge Breathless fan either. I think a lot of it’s appeal is just how unique it was. No script, no plan. No shooting schedule. Just a devil may care attitude. It was really a representation of the post war youth of Europe and was hugely influential for how movies would be made. It was the total opposite of the Hollywood machine. 

The Most Dangerous Game (1932 - Jungle sets were also used for simultaneous filming of jungle scenes in King Kong)

The General (Buster Keaton)

Has anyone watched either of these? 

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

He Walked By Night
I didn’t like either as much as I had hoped. Ivers is well worth the watch as the cast is great. I would give it another shot but I remember being disappointed. He Walked By Night has a semi documentary approach and I tend not to like those moves- especially the crime/noirs of the 50s. They come off kind of cheesy and overly expository as they have to explain all this new forensics science to the audiences of the time.

I didn’t like either as much as I had hoped. Ivers is well worth the watch as the cast is great. I would give it another shot but I remember being disappointed. He Walked By Night has a semi documentary approach and I tend not to like those moves- especially the crime/noirs of the 50s. They come off kind of cheesy and overly expository as they have to explain all this new forensics science to the audiences of the time.
Sounds like the same reaction I had to Laura and The Postman Always Rings Twice.

I would agree that Breathless wouldn't be the first old movie I'd recommend.

Here are some I'm meaning to get to:

Red River (not much of a Wayne fan, but I do want to see this one)

The Lady Eve

Sullivan's Travels

The Philadelphia Story

The Bicycle Thief

Roman Holiday

Shane

The Asphalt Jungle

Here are a few more that I would recommend:

All About Eve - this is probably the third movie I'd recommend after Notorious and Casablanca. If you watch those three and don't like any, you're probably not going to like classic movies.

Mildred Pierce (highly recommend)

Ace In The Hole

A Night To Remember

The Wages of Fear - It takes a long while to get on the "journey", but once it does it's a great thriller. Later remade in '77 as Sorcerer by William Friedkin and a good movie in its own right.

Twelve Angry Men

Once Upon A Time In The West

The Wild Bunch

Judgment At Nuremburg

A few good titles on iTunes in 4k to own. for $5

Dr Strangelove

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Anatomy of a Murder

Lawrence of Arabia

Mr Smith Goes to Washington

It Happened One Night

I was going to post this. Periodically, my daughter and I watch an older film together and this is next on our agenda. Classic. I also recently heard her use the term "gaslighting" and she was surprised to learn that it stems from the film, so that one might be next. 

Sounds like the same reaction I had to Laura and The Postman Always Rings Twice.

I would agree that Breathless wouldn't be the first old movie I'd recommend.
Postman is just ok. I’m a big fan of Laura though. Both those are much better imo than Strange Love of Ivers or He Walked.

The Lady Eve

Sullivan's Travels

The Philadelphia Story

The Bicycle Thief

Roman Holiday

Shane

The Asphalt Jungle
I give all of those my highest recommendation 

The Lady Eve

Sullivan's Travels

The Philadelphia Story

The Bicycle Thief

Roman Holiday

Shane

The Asphalt Jungle
I’m pretty sure Bicycle Thieves is on HBO Max. I watched that not too long and if I did one of those “Best New to Me” lists like 80s, it would be high on mine for 2021.

Shane and Red River may be on Prime (or at least were as of a year or two ago), as I think watched there.

I’m pretty sure Bicycle Thieves is on HBO Max. I watched that not too long and if I did one of those “Best New to Me” lists like 80s, it would be high on mine for 2021.

Shane and Red River may be on Prime (or at least were as of a year or two ago), as I think watched there.
I really enjoyed Bicycle Thieves when I finally watched it. 

According to justwatch.com, The Killing is on Prime, Kanopy, and Criterion Channel.   Along with Tubi.    Paths of Glory looks like currently just a rent or on Tubi with ads.  

The Last Detail...Early Nicholson

Emperor of the North...Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine ..(Acting at it’s best)...Personal favorite ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 that are way off the beaten path:

1. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (67)- it's rare high budget Rodger Corman movie being released by 20th Century Fox. Nobody will confuse this for Goodfellas but it's really entertaining and Jason Robards gives a wild Al Capone performance-almost a Pacino Scarface precursor. It's done as if it's a documentary outlining the events, really liked it. 

2. The Sea Wolf (41)- Based on a Jack London story, Edward G Robinson plays a sadistic sea captain who catches two fugitives stowed away on his ship.

3. Twentieth Century (34)- An early Howard Hawks screwball comedy with a great cast of the true greats of that genre. A Broadway director who has fallen on hard times boards a train to convince his former star actress to return to the stage and play the lead in his new play. Who doesn't love a great train movie? 

Going to list some movies that have not already been mentioned ( I hope)

Arsenic & Old Lace

Gunga Din

Drums along the Mohawk

Northwest Passage

How Green Was My Valley

Inferno (1953)

Destry Rides Again

The Sundowners

Them

The Thing From Another World (1951)

5 Graves to Cairo

Beau Geste (1939)