What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AAA’s Old Movies Thread (1 Viewer)

TCM starting up their 24 hours of Sidney Poitier tonight. link

February 19th & 20th

8:00 PM             In the Heat of the Night (1967)
10:00 PM          The Defiant Ones (1958)
12:00 AM          A Warm December (1972)
2:00 AM             Cry the Beloved Country (1952) 
4:00 AM             Something of Value (1957)
6:15 AM             Good-bye My Lady (1956)
8:15 AM             Edge of the City (1957)
10:00 AM          No Way Out (1950)
12:00 PM           Blackboard Jungle (1955)
2:00 PM             To Sir With Love (1967)
4:00 PM             Lilies of the Field (1963)
6:00 PM             A Patch of Blue (1965)

- The Best Years of Our Lives
Interested in your impressions of this one. I've always enjoyed how prescient it seems to have been.

I stumbled upon a noir film I'd never heard of before, Crossfire, on TCM. The film itself was nominated for Best Picture, soon to be blacklisted Edward Dmytryk was nominated for Best Director, Gloria Grahame was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, and Robert Ryan (if the name isn't familiar, you would recognize him as the Colonel that The Dirty Dozen captured) was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Among the rest of the cast were Robert Young and Robert Mitchum.

Interested in your impressions of this one. I've always enjoyed how prescient it seems to have been.

I stumbled upon a noir film I'd never heard of before, Crossfire, on TCM. The film itself was nominated for Best Picture, soon to be blacklisted Edward Dmytryk was nominated for Best Director, Gloria Grahame was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, and Robert Ryan (if the name isn't familiar, you would recognize him as the Colonel that The Dirty Dozen captured) was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Among the rest of the cast were Robert Young and Robert Mitchum.
I think I had watched this when I was younger and didn’t appreciate it.  Thought it was fantastic this time - definitely touched on several adult themes and while not totally gritty it makes you appreciate what vets go through returning home after a war.

Charlie Steiner said:

Crossfire is really good. I highly recommend that. My only 2 complaints are Mitchum is kind of wasted. He’s so good but they didn’t make his character interesting enough. He’s oddly kind of a bland guy. My other is that the big change from the novel. In the novel it centers around homophobia but no way the studio could put that on screen so they shifted it to antisemitism. 

Crossfire is really good. I highly recommend that. My only 2 complaints are Mitchum is kind of wasted. He’s so good but they didn’t make his character interesting enough. He’s oddly kind of a bland guy. My other is that the big change from the novel. In the novel it centers around homophobia but no way the studio could put that on screen so they shifted it to antisemitism. 
It almost felt like there was more to his character, or his importance was supposed to be presumed, especially since his and Robert Young's characters almost had a Rick Blaine/CPT Renault moment at the end. Granted, we have history on our side, but yeah, I think Mitchum's potential star power was on display in too small a part. 

As for the story, I think a remake/update back to the original plot would work, now that the topic is less taboo.

Fun fact: Per the post movie comments by the TCM host, Robert Ryan, a former Marine, lobbied to play the part of Montgomery, and because he was so convincing as the heavy, he pretty much was typecast for the rest of his career, which was probably a blessing in disguise since he was so good at it.

I'll occasionally pop-in to this thread and provide LINKs to some obscure old movies that you can watch for free.
============================================
The first isn't streaming anywhere.
Brilliant dialogue.
The inconceivable Wallace Shaw stars along Andre Gregory.
Anyone with cable in the 80s caught this one but probably hadn't seen it in decades.
If you haven't seen this one, it is an absolute MUST watch for any cinephile.

My Dinner with Andre (1981) - Full Movie
Jan 17, 2021 Old friends Wallace (Wallace Shawn) and Andre (Andre Gregory) haven't seen each another in five years and agree to meet for dinner. Andre, a once well-known theater director, dropped out of the New York scene to travel the world, while Wallace stuck around, finding only mixed success as a playwright. As they sit down to eat, Andre launches into a series of fantastic stories from his time away, and Wallace can't help but notice how different their worldviews have become. Release date: October 11, 1981 (USA) Director: Louis Malle Starring: Andre Gregory; Wallace Shawn

I'll occasionally pop-in to this thread and provide LINKs to some obscure old movies that you can watch for free.
============================================
The first isn't streaming anywhere.
Brilliant dialogue.
The inconceivable Wallace Shaw stars along Andre Gregory.
Anyone with cable in the 80s caught this one but probably hadn't seen it in decades.
If you haven't seen this one, it is an absolute MUST watch for any cinephile.

My Dinner with Andre (1981) - Full Movie
Jan 17, 2021 Old friends Wallace (Wallace Shawn) and Andre (Andre Gregory) haven't seen each another in five years and agree to meet for dinner. Andre, a once well-known theater director, dropped out of the New York scene to travel the world, while Wallace stuck around, finding only mixed success as a playwright. As they sit down to eat, Andre launches into a series of fantastic stories from his time away, and Wallace can't help but notice how different their worldviews have become. Release date: October 11, 1981 (USA) Director: Louis Malle Starring: Andre Gregory; Wallace Shawn
It's high on my watchlist. I really have enjoyed the few Louis Malle films I've seen. And BTW it is streaming on HBO Max.

It's Bogart month on TCM so been re-watching a lot of his films:
  • Across the Pacific - Bogart plays a dishonorably discharged officer - takes a ship to the far east and meets up with a Sydney Greenstreet who is a professor. Neither man is what they seem. Good flick with Mary Astor playing the love interest
  • Invisible Stripes - Bogart with a minor part - ex-con who has no intention of going straight. Just ok, predictable story and George Raft as the lead is just so-so. Bogart already stands out as a leading man in this small role
  • Treasure of the Sierra Madre - not much needs to be said on this one. One of the best adventure films ever - I will say this, Walter Huston is the star of the film for me. Bogart plays Bogart which some people knock him for) but Huston was born for this role. His son gets more acclaim and this is one of his many great films but Walter is the stalwart for me. No badges needed!
  • Maltese Falcon - outside of Rick Blaine I think Sam Spade is the role I think of most when it comes to Bogie. Greenstreet and Lorre are fantastic in this.
Few others I've watched of late:
  • The Big Clock - Ray Milland plays the lead - man in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's an interesting twist of that though. I really enjoyed this one and found Charles Laughton to be a great "bad guy"
  • The Stranger - Orson Welles and Edward G. Robinson - just go watch it. Welles directs - he, John Huston and others are writers. Big hitters across the board and it delivers for the most part
  • The Ex-Mrs. Bradford - I admit it, I'm a total sucker for William Powell. I've professed my love of The Thin Man films for years on these boards. Honestly, if they made 100 of them I would probably watch just about nothing else. Alas, there's only 6 but The Ex-Mrs. Bradford is a fabulous cheap imitation. The only thing I miss is Nick Charles being a lush like me.

Last nights viewing:

Public Hero #1 - starring Lionel Barrymore (Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life), Jean Arthur, Chester Morris and Joseph Calleia. Story is about the leader of a gang breaking out of prison with an undercover FBI agent and the agent's attempt to stop the gang once they are back to their criminal ways. Jean Arthur plays the sister of the gang leader. This dragged at times and wasn't my favorite. Barrymore is unrecognizable from his Potter role/appearance - I had no idea it was him until I read a little about the film. He plays a doctor tied in to the mob gang.

More Bogie plus one from Brando:
  • Dead Reckoning - Bogart plays a war hero headed to D.C. to get recognized. On the way, he gets tied up in a mystery when his fellow honoree ends up dead. Enjoyed it even if the female lead wasn’t my favorite
  • King of the Underworld - Bogart plays boss of a notorious gang. Kay Francis plays the female lead and does a great job
  • The Wild One - I’m not a big Brando fan. Outside of Godfather I’m not sure I really like very many of his films. A few others are ok but I hated this one. Just hated it. Nothing happens for the majority of the film but some young punks acting stupid. And I even knew that (obviously) was the premise and I still hated it.

Some of my favorite older Christmas moves...

It's a Wonderful Life-
duh

The Apartment- usually considered for it's modern romantic-dramedy and Mad Men era critiques of workplace culture, it's also a perfect holiday movie with scenes centered around Christmas and New Years.

Those are just flat out 2 of the best movies ever made so these other couple can't compete but they have a charm about them this time of year

The Bishop's Wife-
Cary Grant plays a charming and a bit sly angel who comes to Earth to help an English Bishop in his attempts to build a cathedral and rekindle his marriage

It Happened on 5th Avenue- A knockoff Capra movie but not without some charms.The general plot is an older homeless man sneaks into empty mansions of New York's wealthiest citizens and as a series of mistaken identities play out, everybody learns some valuable holiday lessons about the true meaning of life

Finally, a bit of a deeper dive

The Holly and the Ivy-
A small, quaint British holiday drama bout an English clergyman who has lost touch with his family. Nothing flashy here, just a stellar cast in a family drama.

Haven't seen this one in a long time. Got a soft spot for this as it was the 1st VHS I ever rented.
Released early 80's
A Soldier's Story
Does a good job telling a story about a murder investigation, racism, the miltary. Takes place during WWII.
Oscar and Globe nominations including nominations for Adolf Ceasar who was amazing. Also some good young actors appear here.

Available to rent on Prime. Not sure if it can be found for free anywhere right now.

Also if you are looking for some noir Christmas movies, highly recommend two that TCM is playing this week:

Blast of Silence:- fans of Le Samourai have to see this

Mr. Soft Touch- Glenn Ford plays Joe Miracle, WW2 vet that has stolen money from
the mob and is hiding out in a settlement home.

Last edited:
A Hitchcock/Tippi Hedren double feature recently:

Hedren was the last of the Hitchcock Blondes to play a prominent in a Hitchcock movie. Most of you will know here from the second selection but she gets to show a little more of her acting chops in the first.

Marnie - Hedren co-stars with Mr. Sean Connery. Hedren plays what appears to be a con artist that Connery's character quickly figures out - but there's more to the story of Marnie. This has been on my list to watch for a while. Big fan of Connery as Bond and in most other things so with him and Hitchcock it was a no-brainer to watch. It was just ok - Connery is fine and Hedren does a decent job of playing the troubled con woman but it just never really went anywhere and the big reveal just wasn't worth the time it takes to get there.

The Birds - Hedren's most recognizable role and a movie I guess everyone is familiar with. The older it gets the worse and worse the special effects look. I watched because I haven't seen it in probably 20 years but that may be the last time I watch it - it still brings the suspense even with the absurd premise but it's just so hard to watch and ignore the SFs.

PSA - I had no clue when I watched those recently that tomorrow appears to be a Hitchcock marathon on TCM.

Set your DVRs!
  • The 39 Steps
  • The Lady Vanishes
  • The Wrong Man
  • I Confess (looking forward to this - will be my first viewing)
  • Vertigo
  • Rear Window
  • Psycho
What a lineup!

Journey into Fear

Starring Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. Spy film noir movie that has a runtime of only 68 minutes. It's fine - exactly what you would expect. I love Cotten and Welles so enjoyed it but there's not much to it. Welles was supposed to direct but there were delays in the Magnificient Ambersons movie that caused Welles to hand it off to director Norman Foster. Don't know if it suffered from that but it just felt like something was missing. It's a really quick watch so I would still recommend giving it a chance.

Hedren was the last of the Hitchcock Blondes to play a prominent in a Hitchcock movie. Most of you will know here from the second selection but she gets to show a little more of her acting chops in the first.

Marnie - Hedren co-stars with Mr. Sean Connery. Hedren plays what appears to be a con artist that Connery's character quickly figures out - but there's more to the story of Marnie. This has been on my list to watch for a while. Big fan of Connery as Bond and in most other things so with him and Hitchcock it was a no-brainer to watch. It was just ok - Connery is fine and Hedren does a decent job of playing the troubled con woman but it just never really went anywhere and the big reveal just wasn't worth the time it takes to get there.

The Birds - Hedren's most recognizable role and a movie I guess everyone is familiar with. The older it gets the worse and worse the special effects look. I watched because I haven't seen it in probably 20 years but that may be the last time I watch it - it still brings the suspense even with the absurd premise but it's just so hard to watch and ignore the SFs.
I actually like Marnie quite a bit. It's probably the lower tier Hitch movie I like the most. It's been a long awhile since I've seen it so maybe I should give it a rewatch because I actually can't think right now as to what I liked about it lol.

I actually like Marnie quite a bit. It's probably the lower tier Hitch movie I like the most. It's been a long awhile since I've seen it so maybe I should give it a rewatch because I actually can't think right now as to what I liked about it lol.

It reminds me of a poor man’s Vertigo.

It reminds me of a poor man’s Vertigo.
I can see that. I actually took to Marnie on first viewing where as it took maybe 3 watches including one on the big screen to come around to its genius.

This is more 70s, but most of the older ones I would have highlighted were already mentioned:

I like ben Gazarra a lot and really like saint Jack and killing of a Chinese bookie.

Rolling thunder is another one I like

Serpico

Bullitt

The getaway

these are a few that come to mind that maybe aren’t cinematic classics but really good as simple stories and interesting stuff.

This is more 70s, but most of the older ones I would have highlighted were already mentioned:

I like ben Gazarra a lot and really like saint Jack and killing of a Chinese bookie.

Serpico

Bullitt

The getaway

these are a few that come to mind that maybe aren’t cinematic classics but really good as simple stories and interesting stuff.
Heck yeah, some great calls there. Add Friends of Eddie Coyle into the 70s crime mix too.

Serpico

Bullitt

The getaway

Heck yeah, some great calls there. Add Friends of Eddie Coyle into the 70s crime mix too.
Big fan of the movie and the book is my favorite crime novel

A few good titles on iTunes in 4k to own. for $5

Dr Strangelove

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Anatomy of a Murder

Lawrence of Arabia

Mr Smith Goes to Washington

It Happened One Night
Bridge on the River Kwai is one of those films that really makes you think. And I'm not even talking about the film itself, which is excellent. It's that audiences back in the 1950s would line up to watch a 3-hour epic about one man's misguided sense of purpose during wartime, and that was a big event. By way of contrast, adults in 2023 line up for superhero movies and films about their childhood toys. Our culture is not stupider on every dimension compared to our grandparents' era, but it really is stupid on this one particular dimension.

A few good titles on iTunes in 4k to own. for $5

Dr Strangelove

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Anatomy of a Murder

Lawrence of Arabia

Mr Smith Goes to Washington

It Happened One Night
Bridge on the River Kwai is one of those films that really makes you think. And I'm not even talking about the film itself, which is excellent. It's that audiences back in the 1950s would line up to watch a 3-hour epic about one man's misguided sense of purpose during wartime, and that was a big event. By way of contrast, adults in 2023 line up for superhero movies and films about their childhood toys. Our culture is not stupider on every dimension compared to our grandparents' era, but it really is stupid on this one particular dimension.
Oppenheimer gives me a slight bit of hope

PSA: December is Cary Grant month on TCM

Every Friday night in December they will be showing his films. Actually started 30 minutes ago with Arsenic and Old Lace. I'm not the biggest Grant fan but enjoy a lot of his movies enough to rewatch several of them. Lots of classic romantic comedies in the mix.

Every Friday night in December they will be showing his films. Actually started 30 minutes ago with Arsenic and Old Lace. I'm not the biggest Grant fan but enjoy a lot of his movies enough to rewatch several of them. Lots of classic romantic comedies in the mix.
Probably my favorite actor. He didn't have a lot of range but he's just so funny. I think when AFI did their 100 best comedies, Grant was in more movies than any other actor.

Probably my favorite actor. He didn't have a lot of range but he's just so funny. I think when AFI did their 100 best comedies, Grant was in more movies than any other actor.

I just checked and it appears he wasn’t even drafted in Tim’s Greatest Movies Draft. 16 drafters and he got shut out. I like him a lot too.

I just checked and it appears he wasn’t even drafted in Tim’s Greatest Movies Draft. 16 drafters and he got shut out. I like him a lot too.
Oh dang, I know we did another movie draft during COVID and that one had a category for "Movie Stars" and "Actors". I am pretty sure Grant scored very high for the Movie Star category.

Oh dang, I know we did another movie draft during COVID and that one had a category for "Movie Stars" and "Actors". I am pretty sure Grant scored very high for the Movie Star category.

Ah, you’re right - I’m on my phone and didn’t notice there was modern actor, old actor and movie star. He was 4th in the movie star category. Here’s the link in case you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread