What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AAA’s Old Movies Thread (1 Viewer)

I am really enjoying tubi, i just go to the leaving soon section and see what is leaving and watch that. As i tend to rewatch movies i really enjoy so this a good way for me to see different ones
Lots of old movies i havent seen , this is what I have watched in the last week or so
Southie
China Moon
The Whistle Blower
The Big Country
Ambush Bay
Cast a Giant Shadow
Witness for the Prosecution

now watching Carnel Knowledge

Last edited:
TCM’s Christmas marathon begins tomorrow through Christmas Day.

I’m not as big on some older Christmas movies considering my affinity for old movies but going to give some a try this year.
What are you planning to check out?

I have the following set to record:
  • It Happened on 5th Avenue
  • Mon Oncle Antoine
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Bells of St. Mary’s
  • Christmas in Connecticut (I remember wikkid recommending this one - never seen it)
  • The Cheaters
  • Christmas Past (documentary of silent Xmas films)
  • The Bishops Wife
  • Tenth Avenue Angel
  • Holiday Affair
There’s more Cary Grant this month plus I have to watch the Thin Man series (tradition) and it appears they are doing a quick James Stewart Hitchcock night on Christmas. Giddy-up!

I’m not as big on some older Christmas movies considering my affinity for old movies but going to give some a try this year.

• Mon Oncle Antoine
  • A Christmas Carol
  • Christmas in Connecticut (I remember wikkid recommending this one - never seen it)
  • The Cheaters
  • The Bishops Wife
  • Tenth Avenue Angel
  • Holiday Affair
There’s more Cary Grant this month plus I have to watch the Thin Man series (tradition) and it appears they are doing a quick James Stewart Hitchcock night on Christmas. Giddy-up!
Well since you are a Grant guy, The Bishops Wife should be the top slot. It Happened on 5th is a TCM cult hit. Christmas in Connecticut is great as well. Wikkid was totally right on that.

I had these on while i was working the last couple of nights

1966 Khartoum with Charlton Heston and Laurence Olivier
1974 Busting with Elliot Gould and Robert Blake

• Mon Oncle Antoine
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Cheaters
  • The Bishops Wife
  • Tenth Avenue Angel
  • Holiday Affair

I'm recording Remember the Night with Stanwyck and McMurray tonight. I also recorded a 1961 Christmas themed Noir called Blast of Silence but haven't watched it yet.

I finally got around to The Silent Partner which I'd recorded last December 23rd. It's a clever heist movie set in Toronto in the run up to Christmas. The first third or so leans heavily on its holiday setting but the twisted game of cat & mouse between Elliott Gould and Christopher Plummer plays out in the year that follows. I was hoping that it complete the cycle and conclude at Christmastime but that didn't happen.

• Mon Oncle Antoine
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Cheaters
  • The Bishops Wife
  • Tenth Avenue Angel
  • Holiday Affair

I'm recording Remember the Night with Stanwyck and McMurray tonight. I also recorded a 1961 Christmas themed Noir called Blast of Silence but haven't watched it yet.

I finally got around to The Silent Partner which I'd recorded last December 23rd. It's a clever heist movie set in Toronto in the run up to Christmas. The first third or so leans heavily on its holiday setting but the twisted game of cat & mouse between Elliott Gould and Christopher Plummer plays out in the year that follows. I was hoping that it complete the cycle and conclude at Christmastime but that didn't happen.
Blast of Silence is fantastic...I know you didn't like The Killer but I am sure this movie was an influence on it.

Watching one of the fun 1930s fast-talk'n screwball comedy's.
Give this one a watch if you haven't seen it. Only an hour and 17 minutes so a quick watch.

LINK >>> The Rage of Paris 1938
--------------------------------
IMBD page
Mischa Auer is fantastic, made for the part of the snooty head waiter. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is sensational, and I had never heard of Danielle Darrieux who plays the lead but she's funny and gorgeous and perfect.

As there is some overlap between posters in this thread and the cocktails thread, I got this book for Christmas: “Eddie Muller’s Noir Bar.” 50 film noir movies and recipes for 50 cocktails to pair with them.

Well that looks fantastic

Yep - I got this too after requesting it from the wife. I've already thumbed through it and planning to have some Noir Bar nights this year. You definitely need a fairly well stocked bar to make the cocktails - just FYI.

@Don Quixote :hifive:

• Mon Oncle Antoine
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Cheaters
  • The Bishops Wife
  • Tenth Avenue Angel
  • Holiday Affair

Only got to these with all the other movies I watched. Will list them as I would rank them:
  • Christmas in Connecticut (I remember wikkid recommending this one - never seen it) - wikkid was right, really good movie. Stanwyck is such a great actress although I still see her more as a drama actress than comedy. And I love anything Greenstreet is in.
  • The Cheaters - Didn't have high expectations with this one but something about it clicked with me.
  • The Bishops Wife - this was fine but something about the relationship of Grant and Young bothered me. It distracted me from the movie as I kept thinking - are they really going to have an angel fall in love with a human they were sent there to help?
  • Mon Oncle Antoine - ok, didn't really enjoy this one, was a slog. Yes, we got to see bewbs but my god, there's very little to the story. It's like a Seinfeld episode - a movie about nothing. And yes, I know it's a coming of age story but it just didn't work for me. I think part of the quirkiness was missed by me, a US southerner who's never been anywhere close to Canada.

As there is some overlap between posters in this thread and the cocktails thread, I got this book for Christmas: “Eddie Muller’s Noir Bar.” 50 film noir movies and recipes for 50 cocktails to pair with them.

Well that looks fantastic

Yep - I got this too after requesting it from the wife. I've already thumbed through it and planning to have some Noir Bar nights this year. You definitely need a fairly well stocked bar to make the cocktails - just FYI.

@Don Quixote :hifive:
It does look like need fairly well stocked. TCM has some Robert Mitchum on tonight, and was taking a look at the recommendations.

For Angel Face, Eddie Muller pairs it with the drink of the same name — 1 ounce each of gin, Calvados, and apricot brandy with lemon peel twist. Muller says legend claims it was created in honor of Detroit gangster Abe Kaminsky (aka Angel Face).

A bit more traditional… for Out of Past, Muller suggests a Paloma for the Mexican vibes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread