What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Actors with limited range (1 Viewer)

George Clooney
Kevin Costner

Those are the first two names that popped into my head when I saw the thread title. 

Buzzbait said:
Sounds interesting and seeing Cage play twins with different personalities may change the way I see him as an actor.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
In fairness to you, you're right in that he plays the same character in 90% of his roles. Perhaps a better description would be that he HAS the range, he just chooses not to demonstrate it :D

shuke said:
LMAO.  Yea, these roles all seem the same: Big, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Philadelphia, A Leauge of Their Own, Money Pit, Bachelor Party
You could have renamed Sully to Capt. Phillips learns to fly.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Perdition
Yup, A sympathetic hitman.

I would love to see Hanks take on a role like The Boston Strangler that Tony Curtis did back in the 60's for a lot of the same reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tougher question is, which actors regularly lose themselves completely in their roles?
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Daniel Day Lewis to being the best.
Gary Oldman is in that conversation, too. Don Cheadle and Edward James Olmos are also very solid.

Among actresses, Meryl Streep (of course) and Sally Field.
I was going to list Meryl Streep as always playing the same part.  All she does is go through the same shtick of fumbling for words in English.  No one really speaks broken English like that.  It's really annoying.

Oh oh oh!

stallone

i just saw GotG2 and he's in it and he's EXACTLY Rocky and Judge Dredd and Rambo all in one. 

Excellent thread idea, but the execution of this thread but the FFA is just dreadful.  

Some of the mentions here are just silly.  SILLY

I am thinking WELL KNOW SUCCESSFUL actors who are good but limited range. 

Coster wins hands down.  He plays different characters doing different things, but HE has nothing to do with this.  However, he does have a lot to do with the fact that everything he says, how he says it, and how he moves are interchangeable in all his movies.  

Scarlett Johansson and Hayden Christensen are probably the worst offenders. Neither have more acting talent than block of wood. But I guess they look good or something. 

Honorable mention to Al Leong... that glorious bald-headed (yet somehow long-haired), Asian, Fu-Manchu having, tough as nails. hard to kill, bad guy from dozens of 80s and 90s action movies. Direct quote: "I think the only movie I ever lived in was Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, I think". 

Scarlett Johansson and Hayden Christensen are probably the worst offenders. Neither have more acting talent than block of wood. But I guess they look good or something. 
A lot of the fault falls on the directors as well.  I saw HC in Life as a House and thought he did a damn good job.  Then Star Wars and... oof.  Same with Portman in those Star Wars movies. 

I think for somebody to make this list, they have to work with different directors, different styles, and still seem to be the same character. 

A lot of the fault falls on the directors as well.  I saw HC in Life as a House and thought he did a damn good job.  Then Star Wars and... oof.  Same with Portman in those Star Wars movies. 

I think for somebody to make this list, they have to work with different directors, different styles, and still seem to be the same character. 
I saw that movie.  He was similar with the pouty teen angst/rage, but much better.  I can see why they cast him in SW for that part.

For some leading men/women - not having (or showing) range probably works in their favor.  They have a style and a brand.  Schwartzenegger is a great example of that.  People want to see the giant Austrian man destroying things.  And then when he got popular enough they wanted to see the giant Austrian man do other things (have a small twin brother, be a kindergarten teacher, be pregnant).

Good call.  I also thought HC was pretty good in Life as a House.

I've never found Lucas to be an effective director of actors/actresses, which I'm sure hurts his feelings and causes him to cry into his piles and piles of money in his mansion.

Man, I miss me some Kevin Costner movies. For real, give that guy a golf club, baseball bat, etc... and I'm generally pretty entertained for a couple of hours. 
Rule of thumb if I'm Costner's script guy: Playing sports guy good, Playing post apocalyptic merman bad.

Good call.  I also thought HC was pretty good in Life as a House.

I've never found Lucas to be an effective director of actors/actresses, which I'm sure hurts his feelings and causes him to cry into his piles and piles of money in his mansion.
American Graffiti is a great movie and it still shocks me that it was George Lucas behind it all. 

Or, for this specific thread, just be a relatively well-known actor. 

Users who are viewing this thread