What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Actors with limited range (1 Viewer)

Nicolas Cage (How'd we get this far without Cage being mentioned  :confused: )
Brendan Fraser

Nicolas Cage
I dislike Cage as much as most, but he has shown more range than given credit for: Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation (the 2 brothers he played were very different characters- all that range in just movie), Con Air, Raising Arizona. Cage was a very good actor that just decided it would be easier just to do a bunch of crappy big money movies and be more of movie star than actor. 

I dislike Cage as much as most, but he has shown more range than given credit for: Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation (the 2 brothers he played were very different characters- all that range in just movie), Con Air, Raising Arizona. Cage was a very good actor that just decided it would be easier just to do a bunch of crappy big money movies and be more of movie star than actor. 
Love him in Adaptation (push......the bush)

Anybody who thinks Charlie Kaufman and Stanley Goodspeed are similar characters, isn't watching the same movies I am

Anybody who thinks Charlie Kaufman and Stanley Goodspeed are similar characters, isn't watching the same movies I am
Have never seen Adaptation but Stanley Goodspeed is the same smirking, no range kind of acting that Cage gives role after role IMO.

To each their own but I'm to the point that I pass on movies if he's part of the cast.

Have never seen Adaptation but Stanley Goodspeed is the same smirking, no range kind of acting that Cage gives role after role IMO.

To each their own but I'm to the point that I pass on movies if he's part of the cast.
It's a meta drama/comedy where Cage plays twin brothers. One is a depressed, self-loathing talent and the other is an ignorant, overly confident aspiring writer. It's a great great movie- if you liked Being John Malkovich, you have to see this. 

It's a meta drama/comedy where Cage plays twin brothers. One is a depressed, self-loathing talent and the other is an ignorant, overly confident aspiring writer. It's a great great movie- if you liked Being John Malkovich, you have to see this. 
Sounds interesting and seeing Cage play twins with different personalities may change the way I see him as an actor.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Brad Pitt, particularly early in his career, was versatile enough to help him get away from the idea that he was a "pretty boy".  He didn't go as far as Johnny Depp (another guy who could have just mailed it in forever as a tender romantic lead).....but he went pretty far. I think he's mailed it in these past 10+ years.

nick cage is an american treasure and oddly enough was the lead in american treasure and anyone who wants to bee smirch his good name will have swc to go thru to do it take that to the bank brocagos 

Brad Pitt, particularly early in his career, was versatile enough to help him get away from the idea that he was a "pretty boy".  He didn't go as far as Johnny Depp (another guy who could have just mailed it in forever as a tender romantic lead).....but he went pretty far. I think he's mailed it in these past 10+ years.
Yeah Depp has gotten to the point where he really won't play a human anymore. He will only play live version cartoon characters. Pirates, Ed Scissors, Sweeney Todd, Dark Shadows, Willy Wonkers, Lone Ranger, etc. 

I agree with you. La La Land, Birdman, The Help, Superbad. That's a musical, Oscar winning arthouse black comedy, a period piece and a teen comedy film. 
And she didn't play the same character in them either.  I grant you that she looked like the same beautiful 20-something with flawless coloring in each, however.  :shrug:   :wub:

Some of these responses are idiocy.  There's a difference between being typecast and limited acting range.  It's like saying Daniel Day Lewis has no acting range because Lincoln and Bill the Butcher and Christy Brown were all serious roles that required excellent acting.

The correct answer isn't going to be a lead actor.  By definition they aren't playing the exact same role.  It's going to be a secondary actor that comes up again and again.  Joe Pesci comes to mind, but even he has too many decent leads like My Cousin Vinny.  Bruce Willis, but he was slightly different in Pulp Fiction.

I'm going to go with Michelle Rodriguez.  Always a strong military woman.

Aerial Assault said:
And she didn't play the same character in them either.  I grant you that she looked like the same beautiful 20-something with flawless coloring in each, however.  :shrug:   :wub:
Sorry to quote myself, but her next project if memory serves is playing Billie Jean King in a movie about her beating Bobby Riggs.  So I doubt that she will be playing the "standard Emma Stone persona," whatever that purports to be. 

Ali? Pursuit of Happiness? I am Legend? Men In Black? Fresh Prince? [Will Smith] seems pretty talented to me. 
Will Smith is talented. What he does in almost all of his roles is break character from time to time and let his "Fresh Prince" persona show through. In a lot of roles, that's A-OK and the humor works well in service of the film. In some other roles, though, that breaking of character can be jarring.

It was the 80's. Action movies were all the rage. Why would he run from being the face of a massively profitable genre? Same for Stallone.
Agreed. But the question wasn't what about what sells/sold or made actors famous...it was about actors who play the same character in all their movies :shrug:

And I mostly wanted to call out the preposterousness of some of the actors that have been mentioned. 

Sullie said:
. . . and I just don't think Will Smith is a good actor at all.  He seems like a swell guy and all but he just sucks at acting.
His son must have gotten all the acting talent in the family.  :oldunsure:

I get the criticism of Will Smith - he doesn't seem to lose himself in the role.  When you watch him you feel like you're watching a 'Will Smith movie'.

That said, he's not nearly as bad as Costner.  Costner played Robin Hood and a pro golfer as if they were the same exact guy.

Users who are viewing this thread