What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Airline passengers that recline their seat (4 Viewers)

Man, I can’t stand that. Let’s start a thread about that! That’s the real problem in all of this.
I posted a list of air travel pet peeves a long time ago (it’s since been purged), and that one definitely made the list. Interestingly, people reclining their seats was not on the list. I’ve become more zen in my later years, so I try not to let this stuff bug me anymore. A few off the top of my head were as follows:

1) When the person behind you has to grab the top of your seat to haul themselves out of their own seat (i.e., the one you mention).

2) People who have to grab every seat as they walk down the aisle during the flight, even if there is no turbulence. Surely these people can walk in open space when not on a plane. 

3) People at the back of the plane who put their luggage in the first open bin at the front so they don’t have to carry it all the way to the back of the plane. Way to completely jack everything up for everyone!

4) People who aren’t ready when they get to the security checkpoint and then take forever to get situated.  You’ve been standing in line for 40 minutes. You could have already taken the stuff out of your pockets and put it in your bag for example.  Also, people that use 15 bins to get their stuff through security. Bin for shoes. Bin for jacket. Bin for purse. Bin for belt. Your laptop and/or iPad needs its own bin. The other stuff can be combined. 

5) People who, as soon as the seat belt sign goes off after landing, grab their stuff and actually try to jump ahead a couple rows, rather than waiting for the folks in front of them to exit. Exception allowed if you’re trying to catch a connecting flight. 

6) People who bring smelly food on the flight. 

7) People who take off their shoes and/or socks during the flight.

I posted a list of air travel pet peeves a long time ago (it’s since been purged), and that one definitely made the list. Interestingly, people reclining their seats was not on the list. I’ve become more zen in my later years, so I try not to let this stuff bug me anymore. A few off the top of my head were as follows:

1) When the person behind you has to grab the top of your seat to haul themselves out of their own seat (i.e., the one you mention).

2) People who have to grab every seat as they walk down the aisle during the flight, even if there is no turbulence. Surely these people can walk in open space when not on a plane. 

3) People at the back of the plane who put their luggage in the first open bin at the front so they don’t have to carry it all the way to the back of the plane. Way to completely jack everything up for everyone!

4) People who aren’t ready when they get to the security checkpoint and then take forever to get situated.  You’ve been standing in line for 40 minutes. You could have already taken the stuff out of your pockets and put it in your bag for example.  Also, people that use 15 bins to get their stuff through security. Bin for shoes. Bin for jacket. Bin for purse. Bin for belt. Your laptop and/or iPad needs its own bin. The other stuff can be combined. 

5) People who, as soon as the seat belt sign goes off after landing, grab their stuff and actually try to jump ahead a couple rows, rather than waiting for the folks in front of them to exit. Exception allowed if you’re trying to catch a connecting flight. 

6) People who bring smelly food on the flight. 

7) People who take off their shoes and/or socks during the flight.
Get off my plane!!!!!!

j/k

On this one, I'm not sure I entirely agree. Many modern check points make it hard for you to prepare. You only get access to the bins the second you are in front of the line at the checkpoint and have to use it (frankly moving things from your pockets is way faster than moving it from a zipped up bag). Many places do not giv you the space at which to rummage through your zipped up bag either coming or going. Then you may need to remove shoes, belt, jacket, sweaters (should all of that have been in your zipped up bag?). Winterjackets certainly will take up it's own bin. Are there people taking far too long? Sure, just like there are idiots completely unprepared to pay for their groceries once it's their turn (or pay with cheque :shudder: )

On this one, I'm not sure I entirely agree. Many modern check points make it hard for you to prepare. You only get access to the bins the second you are in front of the line at the checkpoint and have to use it (frankly moving things from your pockets is way faster than moving it from a zipped up bag). Many places do not giv you the space at which to rummage through your zipped up bag either coming or going. Then you may need to remove shoes, belt, jacket, sweaters (should all of that have been in your zipped up bag?). Winterjackets certainly will take up it's own bin. Are there people taking far too long? Sure, just like there are idiots completely unprepared to pay for their groceries once it's their turn (or pay with cheque :shudder: )
Yeah, this one is borderline (and like I said, I’m much more zen these days).  But really it had to do more with people taking forever and being wholly inefficient. I always plan out exactly what I need to do when I get to the checkpoint so that I can get through it as quickly and efficiently as possible. For example, I always take everything out of my pockets and put it in a section of my carry-on long before I get to the checkpoint. I realize that most don’t do this. But it seems like almost every time I travel there is a person who still has stuff in their pockets when they are ready to go through the scanner, and when they are asked “do you have anything in your pockets?”, they have to go back to the belt to take stuff out and put it through using the scanner.

And sure, if you need another bin for your winter jacket, have at it. My issue wasn’t with people using multiple bins if they need them, it was with people unnecessarily using a whole bunch of bins because they’re not efficiently combining items.  That clogs up the scanner and delays everyone behind them. 

Yeah, this one is borderline (and like I said, I’m much more zen these days).  But really it had to do more with people taking forever and being wholly inefficient. I always plan out exactly what I need to do when I get to the checkpoint so that I can get through it as quickly and efficiently as possible. For example, I always take everything out of my pockets and put it in a section of my carry-on long before I get to the checkpoint. I realize that most don’t do this. But it seems like almost every time I travel there is a person who still has stuff in their pockets when they are ready to go through the scanner, and when they are asked “do you have anything in your pockets?”, they have to go back to the belt to take stuff out and put it through using the scanner.

And sure, if you need another bin for your winter jacket, have at it. My issue wasn’t with people using multiple bins if they need them, it was with people unnecessarily using a whole bunch of bins because they’re not efficiently combining items.  That clogs up the scanner and delays everyone behind them. 
I agree with every item on your list.

I always plan out exactly what I need to do when I get to the checkpoint so that I can get through it as quickly and efficiently as possible.
This I completely agree with. Wearing non lace shoes. Putting stuff in pockets of your jacket (like watch, passport, boarding pass, scarf, gloves), knowing where your toiletry bag is )or having it ready) etc. Preparation, Planning and then execution. It's not complicated and we all know we have to do it anyway the moment we buy the ticket... 

I love how she's claiming that she was assaulted.  Another article said that she's claiming physical injuries on top of it.    This lady sounds like a nightmare.  
Agreed that it is absurd but that guy is a richard and deserved a major beat down.  

ETA:  I understand that you think it is rude but if you're going to be THAT annoyed if someone in front of you reclines then either fly first class or don't fly at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take my shoes off almost all the time :unsure:

My feet don't smell and I keep my socked foot under the seats :oldunsure:

Can we talk some more about the neck pillow guys?  I know there’s lots of you in here. There Is little less manly in this world than bringing your neck pillow and fuzzy slippers for your four hour flight on a business trip. 

This is what’s wrong with America. We are a pampered bunch. Man up, suffer through wearing shoes on the airplane, and survive not having your fuzzy neck pillow for a few hours. I assure you, you’ll come through it ok. You may even surprise yourself. 

This is what’s wrong with America. We are a pampered bunch. Man up, suffer through wearing shoes on the airplane, and survive not having your fuzzy neck pillow for a few hours. I assure you, you’ll come through it ok. You may even surprise yourself. 
Your kids will be fine sitting on their own.  They may even learn some independence without having mommy and daddy hovering over them and meeting their every need.  They may even surprise you.

Says the guy that is upset about not being able to squeeze his wife's hand during the scary parts of the flight. 

I will wear my fuzzy slippers, play my sound machine, use my travel humidifier, and use my neck pillow if I want. Also its not a blanket, its my binky. Very different. 

I agree, but the security procedures are inconsistent. Sometimes they want shoes in a separate bin, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes I ca wear a hat and/or watch, others I must remove them. Sometimes they want all food in a separate bin, etc.

I’ll add to you list:

Seatmates who can’t take the hint you’re not interested in conversation. Actually, anyone within earshot who talks too much is annoying.

People who prop their legs on seat backs or lay their heads on tray tables.

People who congest the boarding area before their zone is called.

Using overhead bins for small items or jackets.

Not allowing rows to deboard sequentially.

Not being prepared to deboard sequentially.

ETA I see El Floppo linked the other thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want:

Seats at least 20 inches wide.

Two more inches of leg room.

Seats that recline another three degrees at least.

Flight attendants that have not been trained by the DMV.

To not hear the part of the safety lecture on water landings or to see the demonstration on how to work a seat belt.

It to be criminalized for anyone to remove their shoes.

Air Marshalls to fully restrain any kickers of seat backs.

Carry on rules ruthlessly enforced.

When the person behind you has to grab the top of your seat to haul themselves out of their own seat (i.e., the one you mention).
I did this by accident for the first time on my last flight. It is a pet peeve of mine too, so I was kind of mortified, but it was out of necessity or I was going to fall back into my seat. It's getting so tight on some airlines that it's going to happen more and more.

I remember flying with my folks when I was little (early 70s) and I'd lay down to sleep in the space in front of their feet behind the seat in front of them... There was enough room for that- in coach. The days when people dressed up to fly (still weird to me).

People actually ask permission or give a heads up before they recline? This has never happened to me and I'm not expecting them to, they always just fly on back with no warning what so ever. 

Users who are viewing this thread