What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AJ Green going forward (1 Viewer)

Wise Old Owl

Footballguy
Outside of his monster first week AJ Green has been a bit of a disappointment. The most troubling thing is I don't see signs of this changing anytime soon. Other teams are content to shut down Green and force Dalton to beat them elsewhere. The Bengals are winning games with a conservative offensive game plan and aren't likely to start forcing the ball into coverage to Green and frankly I'm not sure Dalton has the accuracy or arm strength to.

I didn't watch a ton of Bengals games the past two years but is this new? The guy was likely the 3rd or 4th WR off the board in most leagues and has to carry some trade value based on name alone. What's the shark move here?

I am going to throw some offers to the AJ owners in the two leagues I play in. Maybe a Garcon or Gordon plus P.Thomas.

I am going to throw some offers to the AJ owners in the two leagues I play in. Maybe a Garcon or Gordon plus P.Thomas.
Dalton isn't playing as well as he did last year and AJ is getting covered by top corners.

I'm not sure I'd trade either Garcon or Gordon for him, though each has a question mark attached to them.

Dalton isn't playing as well as he did last year and AJ is getting covered by top corners.

I'm not sure I'd trade either Garcon or Gordon for him, though each has a question mark attached to them.
He's gotten covered by top corners since his rookie year. Dalton stinks is the problem.

Dalton was good enough last year to permit Green to post a monster season. What is making Dalton stink this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dalton is making the smarter play in most cases perhaps? Instead of forcing it to AJ he's using some of the other options. He doesn't throw it up for AJ to let him win the fights for it like some QBs do for their #1 WRs. The AJ owner in my league is crying weekly about it. I'm trying to get him to trade me AJ, but he still values him crazy high

I don't think either one of the owners will bite, but I'm sending them offers this week. Would love to have AJ paired with Julio rest of the way.

Dalton was good enough last year to permit Green to post a monster season. What is making Dalton stink this year?
He's becoming captain check down whereas before he'd stretch the field with green. Defenses are happy to make him dink and dunk down the field and wait get a sack due to his immobility.

They've played 3 really good pass defenses with great corners in 3 of their 5 games. The Patriots have shut down Julio and Green in back to back weeks. Haden is a top corner, and Pittsburgh's defense is tough. Dalton has looked average at best, but Green is on pace for 187 targets. Better times will come for Green.

They've played 3 really good pass defenses with great corners in 3 of their 5 games. The Patriots have shut down Julio and Green in back to back weeks. Haden is a top corner, and Pittsburgh's defense is tough. Dalton has looked average at best, but Green is on pace for 187 targets. Better times will come for Green.
Really? You're going to play the "and Pittsburgh's defense is tough" excuse card?

Really? You're going to play the "and Pittsburgh's defense is tough" excuse card?
Ike Taylor was in Green's jersey for that MNF game. He locked him up.

Have you watched them play? They also shutdown Brandon Marshall. They're the 3rd worst matchup for WR's so far, and they still can generate a pass rush. Pittsburgh has a lot of issues, but they still have a tough defense.

As a former Green owner, you would assume he's shut down proof. I don't think he's given the same opportunities to win the 50-50 ball like how Stafford will chuck it up at Megatron. That's just not Dalton's style. This is the best buy time if there ever was one for Green.

In order games 1-5

big game

Bengals D dominates no need to pass much

Aj should've put up big #s and did just OK

Dalton failed him

Bengals D dominates no need to pass much

I put the GB game as the 1 that was on him to do more, but the defense playing so well and taking the air out of the ball is a concern for FF owners. They play Bills offense next too. Maybe more of the same coming.

I am a bit concerned, but this strikes me as right at this point.

As a former Green owner, you would assume he's shut down proof. I don't think he's given the same opportunities to win the 50-50 ball like how Stafford will chuck it up at Megatron. That's just not Dalton's style. This is the best buy time if there ever was one for Green.
this was one of the things they tried to work on with Dalton last offseason and he did a better job of putting it in a place where AJ could go up and get it. He did a better job last year but this year with the new weapons on the offense they are more happy to dink and dunk using the maturing wr's and their TEs.

He gets the Bills this week.

If he cant shine will not trust him not to disappear during the the playoff weeks. Regardless of whoevers fault it may actually be.

If he cant shine will not trust him nt to disappear during the the playoff weeks. Regardless of whoevers fault it may actually be.
McKelvin can be tough but Josh Gordon did well against them this past week. I'm expecting a good showing. That being said the Bengals have a lot of viable options. Dalton can't sniff Peyton but they are similar in that they have a lot of weapons so Dalton will (at least try) go to the open guy. Add to that a stout defense and that will lead to inconsistency for AJ unfortunately.

If he cant shine will not trust him nt to disappear during the the playoff weeks. Regardless of whoevers fault it may actually be.
The Bills are expecting Gilmore, Byrd and Brooks back in the secondary. If they are all 100%, I would actually expect another rough game for AJ.

I've watched every snap this year for the Bengals. Green is getting frustrated with Dalton not being able to get him the ball, you can tell in his body language. Dalton isn't firing the ball into double and triple coverage to Green as much this year as he has the last couple of years. Dalton seems to be working in other players more often, but the Bengals are also not taking as many shots downfield as they have in years past. Which is where Green gets a lot of targets/catches. Dalton is checking the ball down more this year to his tight ends and now he has a pass catching RB in Bernard.

Another factor might be the Bengals defense are keeping them in games this year, which doesn't make the Bengals offense play from behind, therefore more passing plays and more targets for Green. The Bengals offense plays so conservative it is unreal, even if they are up 7 late (like yesterday against NE) they will not even think about throwing the ball on 3rd and 5-10. They will run the ball.

Very concerned about him, and wondering what people think of his dynasty value. Prior to this season, and after the first week or two, I'd have said he's potentially the most valuable player in the league in dynasty. Not thinking that's true anymore, whether because of Dalton or whatever - he's really **** the bed the past few weeks from a fantasy perspective.

That said, I don't get Bengals games where I am. It's nice to hear that people think he's still got potential to be one of the top receivers in fantasy.

PPR he's still averaging 16.8 ppg and has scored in double-digits every game this season.

If you can go get him then do it, but this buy low wont last long. This may be the final week.

Very concerned about him, and wondering what people think of his dynasty value. Prior to this season, and after the first week or two, I'd have said he's potentially the most valuable player in the league in dynasty. Not thinking that's true anymore, whether because of Dalton or whatever - he's really **** the bed the past few weeks from a fantasy perspective.

That said, I don't get Bengals games where I am. It's nice to hear that people think he's still got potential to be one of the top receivers in fantasy.
The talent is there. No question about that. It's the situation which seems to be growing worse each game. Bengals are turning Dalton into a game manager ala Alex Smith. AJ Green is their best offensive player period and it is discouraging to see him not getting anywhere near the looks he should be. I'm frustrated but I think eventually Green starts getting some love.

Honestly, this is what I feared about A.J. Green last year, which is why I avoided him in 2012 (I thought he was going for too much). Of course, I was dead wrong. And then his price tag went up even more, so I avoided him again. I do think he will come around and would love to buy low right now, but I doubt many will be selling.

I didn't get on the soapbox and make a big fuss about it, but I had a hunch that he may have been slightly overrated this past offseason. There's been this notion that he's clearly the #2 dynasty WR behind Calvin and I don't know where it comes from. Green is a fine player and I'm sure he'll continue to pile up 1000+ yard seasons for as long as he's healthy, but...

He's really not some godly overwhelming physical talent. He's not that big, THAT fast, or that dangerous after the catch. He's not Calvin, TO, Andre, or Moss who can simply beat you no matter what because nobody on the other side of the field can match up with them athletically. He's more like a taller version of Reggie Wayne. He might be the best pure pass catcher of the Bryant/Thomas/Julio/Green cluster, but he's the worst pure athlete of the group.

BTW, it is worth pointing out that Green is still on pace for 99-1,155-10, which is still a damn fine season, even if the yardage is a tad low for someone with his ADP.

I didn't get on the soapbox and make a big fuss about it, but I had a hunch that he may have been slightly overrated this past offseason. There's been this notion that he's clearly the #2 dynasty WR behind Calvin and I don't know where it comes from. Green is a fine player and I'm sure he'll continue to pile up 1000+ yard seasons for as long as he's healthy, but...

He's really not some godly overwhelming physical talent. He's not that big, THAT fast, or that dangerous after the catch. He's not Calvin, TO, Andre, or Moss who can simply beat you no matter what because nobody on the other side of the field can match up with them athletically. He's more like a taller version of Reggie Wayne. He might be the best pure pass catcher of the Bryant/Thomas/Julio/Green cluster, but he's the worst pure athlete of the group.
Gotcha. Well, hell. Now I'm definitely unsure of where to go with his value.

He's taller but thinner than T.O., and runs slightly slower, and I've certainly seen his highlight-reel catches, but he's never been on a fantasy team of mine and I'm mostly going off of limited viewing of him in making decisions. Thanks for the other side of this.

Green owner here, and yes, I'm frustrated by his lack of big games, scores, and in general just opportunities...but he's at least staying away from the complete stinkers. He's slipped out of the top 10 now in my PPR (#11) with games of 37, 10, 14, 12, 11. Staying out of single digits is big, but yes, he needs to have another real game soon. 4 weeks in a row basically being a possession receiver isn't what any of us signed up for.

The lack of end zone targets is especially maddening to me. Dalton just won't even take a chance on him. I don't know if it's coaching, play calling, or Dalton, but he's the best weapon on your team - give him on a chance on one of those downs to do something.

I thought about placing offers for him and then looked at his upcoming schedule for the rest of the way. No thank you. I think Garcon is the best WR buy at the moment.

Last year he had something like 9 straight games with a TD. That is unheard of. TD's are hit or miss. But with targets will come yards...

Latest write up on AJ at Rotoworld:

3. A.J. Green

Let’s make one thing clear: Green might be down, but talents of his level are never out. Nevertheless, with the Bengals putting the lid on their offense and taking the car keys away from Andy Dalton, Green’s WR1 blowups are going to be fewer and farther between than we’re used to seeing. The gifted third-year pro is averaging just 5.5/50 over his past four games, and has only one touchdown since Week 1. There are going to be big games — quite likely next week against the Bills’ still wounded defense — but Green is probably going to have a tough time living up to his 14.4 ADP. He’s a lower-end WR1 instead of the elite one we know he can be.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/44646/131/terrelle-pryors-progress

Dalton is just a disgrace. Hé belongs holding a clipboard at best. Bengals blew it passing on freeman.

Last year he had something like 9 straight games with a TD. That is unheard of. TD's are hit or miss. But with targets will come yards...
If he were still producing like last year, he'd be worth a ridiculous amount in dynasty - mid 20's elite producer at receiver with no off-field issues. Do you see that as likely again?

Next week is Haden Island.... a rested Joe Haden at that, coming off a bye week. :scared:

He almost always shadows the opposition's best WR.

"I want to be one of those corners that can be able to go up against the Calvins, go up against the AJs, and not be 'oh Joe, why are you so worried about him?''' said Haden. "(I'd rather it be) 'Calvin, you have to go against Joe this week.' You know what I'm saying?'
Here are the numbers for the opposing #1's he's faced this year.

Week 1 - Mike Wallace (1-15-0)

Week 2 - Torrey Smith (7-85-0)

Week 3 - Greg Jennings (3-43-0)

Week 4 - A.J. Green (7-51-0)

Week 5 - Stevie Johnson (2-19-0)

Week 6 - Calvin Johnson (3-25-0) :eek:

Week 7 - Jordy Nelson (5-42-1)

Week 8 - Dwayne Bowe (1-7-0)

Week 9 - Torrey Smith (5-78-0)

If you aren't at least a little bit scared of this matchup, you should be.

Next week is Haden Island.... a rested Joe Haden at that, coming off a bye week. :scared:

He almost always shadows the opposition's best WR.

"I want to be one of those corners that can be able to go up against the Calvins, go up against the AJs, and not be 'oh Joe, why are you so worried about him?''' said Haden. "(I'd rather it be) 'Calvin, you have to go against Joe this week.' You know what I'm saying?'
Here are the numbers for the opposing #1's he's faced this year.

Week 1 - Mike Wallace (1-15-0)

Week 2 - Torrey Smith (7-85-0)

Week 3 - Greg Jennings (3-43-0)

Week 4 - A.J. Green (7-51-0)

Week 5 - Stevie Johnson (2-19-0)

Week 6 - Calvin Johnson (3-25-0) :eek:

Week 7 - Jordy Nelson (5-42-1)

Week 8 - Dwayne Bowe (1-7-0)

Week 9 - Torrey Smith (5-78-0)

If you aren't at least a little bit scared of this matchup, you should be.
Haden is good, but Calvin played while injured that day.

Dalton is just a disgrace. Hé belongs holding a clipboard at best. Bengals blew it passing on freeman.
He was truly embarrassing to watch today.

And yes, while Green got exceptionally lucky with the final play in regulation today, he did have a very consistent day and now, all of a sudden, has 5 straight 100 yard games. With that, I can't possibly bench him vs. Joe Haden. And hey, if Torrey Smith...Torrey Smith (!) has fared pretty well against Haden, shouldn't Green be able to?

If you don't know that Haden is the best cover guy in the league right now, then you simply aren't paying attention.

He is the only true shutdown corner in the league. When Revis gets back to full health he will join Haden, but Haden stands alone right now.

Users who are viewing this thread