What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Michaels vs. Chris Berman (1 Viewer)

Michaels is horrible. My favorite play of the entire year so far was Randle Cobb's kickoff return TD. Michaels literally sucked the excitement out of that play. Too bad that wasn't Gus Johnson calling it.

Michaels is horrible. My favorite play of the entire year so far was Randle Cobb's kickoff return TD. Michaels literally sucked the excitement out of that play. Too bad that wasn't Gus Johnson calling it.
yeah cause yelling at the top of ur lungs is exciting for viewers to listen tobet u love WWE

'Dought Man said:
Michaels will go down as one of the finest sports broadcasters. Berman will go down as the "schticky" guy who thought his #### didnt stink on ESPN
Yeah, you're right. But Al's voice annoys the crap out of me...especially the way he pronounces "Moore". I can just hear it now..."Drew Brees back to pass, over the middle it's LANCE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE for 23 yards."
For me, it's "ball" - "boool"

'Area51Inhabitant said:
Berman's schtick can be a little much and is best heard in small doses which makes him ideal for the half hour Sportscenter (It used to be just a half hour) and when he's doing the three minute highlights but not as palatable when he's actually called on to do Baseball or Football play by play.
You're correct, the more dead time for Berman to "fill" the worse it is. Have you ever watched one of the golf majors where he is on for like 7 hours straight? :wall:

'Daywalker said:
Not sure I remember correctly. But didn't Berman do Weight Watcher and Applebee's commercials at the same time?
Dunno, but they opened up a Weight Watchers next door to a Porky's Bar-B-Q place in a strip-mall near me :porked: -QG

Class and professsionalism vs. sloppy bluster.
Ask Boomer Esiason about Michael's "class and professionalism" ... Boomer has let it be known that Al was a MAJOR dee-bag, and a complete tool during their stint together.
That said, I'd imagine boomer is titanic d-bag
I actually like Al Michaels and now that i know that Boomer hates him, I like Michaels even more. Esiason is, and always has been, a huge ****. And, Esiason doesn't like anyone. Dude is angry all the ####### time.

yeah cause yelling at the top of ur lungs is exciting for viewers to listen tobet u love WWE
Yeah, at one time Gus was decent, not great, but decent. That said, Gus jumped the shark a long time ago. It's ok to be excited when something exciting happens, but a 3 pointer that pulls a team within 17 shouldn't cause the announcer to have a seizure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marv Albert puts them both to shame. And his style is more *ahem* biting.

Seriously, though, is there any broadcaster that people actually like? I think both Berman and Michaels have their own :rolleyes: , :hophead: , and :yawn: moments, but their knowledge and love of the game is apparent, and they are far easier to listen to yammer on than a lot of the other buffoons that call or comment on games.

They both have giant egos, but I also think they're both pretty good at what they do (Michaels at calling play-by-play and Berman at being entertaining). Did anyone else read the ESPN book? What was interesting to me was how much Berman and Simmons hate each other. Berman said something like "If Bill Simmons sat next to me, I wouldn't know who the hell he was." I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. I was generally surprised at how candid people were in that book.

Marv Albert puts them both to shame. And his style is more *ahem* biting.Seriously, though, is there any broadcaster that people actually like? I think both Berman and Michaels have their own :rolleyes: , :hophead: , and :yawn: moments, but their knowledge and love of the game is apparent, and they are far easier to listen to yammer on than a lot of the other buffoons that call or comment on games.
Marv Albert has the worst fake sports voice in the world. He's the guy everyone mimics when they want to do an irritating sports announcer voice for a reason.I think everyone likes Schlereth, right?

I like my play-by-play guys to be virtually invisible, and while I think Michaels does a good job in-game I find his political asides insufferable...I most definitely lean liberal and don't begrudge anyone their political viewpoint (have lots and lots of conservative friends), but it's the way Michaels delivers his politics that I dislike...I can't really explain it other than it strikes me that he THINKS he's being oh so clever/subtle and so it comes off as a bit smug...and so it's the smugness, not the politics I dislike...does that make sense

berman is just a goof and has become a carcicature of himself

fwiw, I like:

Collinsworth (insightful, though I know others feel differently)

Aikman (bland in all the right ways if that makes any sense at all)

Simms (solid)

I also dislike:

Dierdorf (idiot)

Users who are viewing this thread