What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith to the Redskins. wow! (4 Viewers)

Yeah my bad. Congrats on giving up future assets for a QB who will be 34 coming off a career year and paying him 23.5 mil.

And he doesn't have Tyreek Hill to turn his 7 yard out into a 72 yard TD anymore.
Not saying the Redskins are managed well...obviously they have made a ton of mistakes.  Every Redskins fan knows that...you are not dropping any new knowledge there ... you do realize that, right?

I'm just saying, this argument where you fail to look at the decision in front of you and instead pretend you can travel back and change time in the past is nonsensical.  You simply cannot make decisions that way.  You have to move forward.  

Really great haul for KC. They get out of paying Smith $20MM, acquire a 3rd round pick, and get a stud slot CB on a rookie deal. Only concern is how well Fuller can adjust to KC’s man-heavy scheme after playing a lot of zone in Washington.
Thankfully not Fuller

Kendall Fuller

@KeFu11er

Mannnnn im safe! I ain’t get traded

Yeah my bad. Congrats on giving up future assets for a QB who will be 34 coming off a career year and paying him 23.5 mil.

And he doesn't have Tyreek Hill to turn his 7 yard out into a 72 yard TD anymore.
Not so sure.  Crowder is really good at those too sometimes.  Bump to him and Reed if he can stay healthy.  

Random thought, but with Shurmur gone and all 3 Vikings QB's having various question marks, is it out of the question Minnesota makes a run at Cousins? From a team standpoint, you'd think that would be the most desirable option, as they are a Super Bowl contender right now.
Wow. Didn't think of that. Vikings definitely a contender for Cousins now. 

Or the Chiefs get a king's ransom for Mahomes and sign Cousins. :lmao:
As funny as that would be, it would have to be a hell of a ransom, since Cousins will likely cost 25 million a year more than Mahomes. Also, in the Chiefs eyes, Mahomes>Cousins even if they were the same price.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Washington might have done ok here. Its entirely possible that Cousins is merely a solid QB, who Gruden guided to good numbers, much like Andy Dalton. I think Smith might be an equal or perhaps even better QB than Cousins right now, and he's certainly cheaper. Cousins could get close to 30 million annually. he's almost a certainly going to be the NFL's highest paid player. Just hate that they dealt Fuller, who was arguably their best DB going forward.

Entirely possible this is a win-win deal.

As funny as that would be, it would have to be a hell of a ransom, since Cousins will likely cost 25 million a year more than Mahomes. Also, in the Chiefs eyes, Mahomes>Cousins even if they were the same price.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Washington might have done ok here. Its entirely possible that Cousins is merely a solid QB, who Gruden guided to good numbers, much like Andy Dalton. I think Smith might be an equal or perhaps even better QB than Cousins right now, and he's certainly cheaper. Cousins could get close to 30 million annually. he's almost a certainly going to be the NFL's highest paid player. Just hate that they dealt Fuller, who was arguably their best DB going forward.

Entirely possible this is a win-win deal.
I don't see how the skins are winning here. They are in a rebuild in tough division and they just dedicated a bunch of cap to a 34 yr old qb. They also gave up a 3rd and a good young cb. 

At this point letting Cousins walk is obviously the smart play, but bringing in an expensive older qb basically undoes that good decision.

What who how when???  How does a deal like this happen right now?  In principle like two months before it can be official?

So when does washington back out of this deal after they get hammered for it??

Cousins to Arizona or Cleveland?
"Is money a part of it? Sure," Cousins told PFT Live's Mike Florio about leaving Washington to play for another team. "Is it the only thing? No. It is about winning, and that's what I want more than anything, so I'm going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I'm in the best possible position to win, and that's what the focus is going to be."

Maybe that's BS, but it seems to leave Cleveland out. 

Chiefs were in salary cap hell. Anyone trading for Smith was doing them a favor since he would have been cut and put on the open market. Should have just let the Browns do their thing since it’s an idiotic move that makes no sense. This is a guy who couldn’t throw a TD to a WR a few years ago. $23mil/year, Skins getting hoseeeeeeeeeedddddddddd. Jay Gruden will be fired after next year, I have very little doubt.

Random thought, but with Shurmur gone and all 3 Vikings QB's having various question marks, is it out of the question Minnesota makes a run at Cousins? From a team standpoint, you'd think that would be the most desirable option, as they are a Super Bowl contender right now.
Eyes will be on Minnesota and Jacksonville. Two contenders that have the team in place to make cousins good. Kirk isn’t Rodgers, he needs a supporting cast. And while everyone says he will be the highest paid player in the nfl, I’ll be surprised if it actually turns out that way. He wants to win, has made all the money he will ever need the last 2 years, and is enough of a “team” guy that I could see it structured in a way that keeps cap space fluid. I know that sounds unlikely to most people, but cousins isn’t the usual guy imo. 

Smith won’t light the world on fire, but will limit mistakes. If Washington has a run game and defense I’d think this was a better signing- but if Washington wants to compete the next couple years getting whatever qb falls to 1.13 probably wasn’t the answer. 

Eyes will be on Minnesota and Jacksonville. Two contenders that have the team in place to make cousins good. Kirk isn’t Rodgers, he needs a supporting cast. And while everyone says he will be the highest paid player in the nfl, I’ll be surprised if it actually turns out that way. He wants to win, has made all the money he will ever need the last 2 years, and is enough of a “team” guy that I could see it structured in a way that keeps cap space fluid. I know that sounds unlikely to most people, but cousins isn’t the usual guy imo. 

Smith won’t light the world on fire, but will limit mistakes. If Washington has a run game and defense I’d think this was a better signing- but if Washington wants to compete the next couple years getting whatever qb falls to 1.13 probably wasn’t the answer. 
Indications are the Jags are keeping the guy who led them to the conference championship game. 

And they hope he's the Blake they get, not the one that sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indications are the Jags are keeping the guy who led them to the conference championship. 

Yeah, I read how his contract is basically guaranteed unless he passes a physical in the first 3 days of the year. Without looking at specifics such as cap hit and whatnot, could there be a possibility they simply go get te qb they want and trade bortles or just wait out his contract with all the cap space they have? Super long shot but if you believe you have the team to win, except the qb, and the best free agent qb we are likely to see in the next few years diefinately available, do you make that move? Just spitballing here...

Indications are the Jags are keeping the guy who led them to the conference championship game. 

I honestly didn't think Blake played that well. In a win now league the Jags would be stupid to pass on trying to get Cousins and waste all of that talent with Blake leading the way. I don't think Cousins is a world beater but he can make football throws.

I honestly didn't think Blake played that well. In a win now league the Jags would be stupid to pass on trying to get Cousins and waste all of that talent with Blake leading the way. I don't think Cousins is a world beater but he can make football throws.
I happen to agree. Maybe they'll find a way to either cut him or get a replacement but it seems unlikely. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/nfl-jaguars-blake-bortles-contract-injury-surgery

They might draft a QB. If Jackson or Mayfield fall enough they'd be dumb to pass on either. 

A sup-plot to all of this is how the Chiefs will do with Patrick Mahomes.  While most of the Internet is trolling the Redskins for foolish moves, I've not really heard much commentary regarding the Chiefs, a team that is certainly built to compete NOW.  Yes, they choked it in the playoffs last year, but they did make the playoffs and have the team to make another run this year.  With Smith, you could really count on that run. With Mahomes, maybe you will get it but we don't really know for sure. Maybe they felt that Mahomes was going to start this year or next anyway...might as well get some assets.  Still, it is a bit of a gamble for them as well.  Remember early in the season folks had that team listed as Top 5 in Power Rankings.  Back then, Smith was considered a very capable QB...so not a stretch to say he could have one or two more good years in him...

I didn't realize Alex Smith was an upgrade over Cousins.
New here? He's not. Nobody said he is. The Redskins didn't even say he is. What he IS is 20% less expensive than the salary KC has been demanding for years - to be the highest paid player of all time

As an Alex Smith dynasty owner, I'm ok with this. Really hoping the Skins invest an early pick in WR, and that Doctson starts living up to his previous hype. He has flashed, but needs consistency.

As a Skins fan, this seems like a poor decision, but maybe they see some QBs in the 2020 class that they really like and plan to draft to back up Smith for a year or 2. It's the Skins, I'm sure they have a long term plan!

New here? He's not. Nobody said he is. The Redskins didn't even say he is. What he IS is 20% less expensive than the salary KC has been demanding for years - to be the highest paid player of all time
sarcasm? 

As an Alex Smith dynasty owner, I'm ok with this. Really hoping the Skins invest an early pick in WR, and that Doctson starts living up to his previous hype. He has flashed, but needs consistency.

As a Skins fan, this seems like a poor decision, but maybe they see some QBs in the 2020 class that they really like and plan to draft to back up Smith for a year or 2. It's the Skins, I'm sure they have a long term plan!
:lmao:

A sup-plot to all of this is how the Chiefs will do with Patrick Mahomes.  While most of the Internet is trolling the Redskins for foolish moves, I've not really heard much commentary regarding the Chiefs, a team that is certainly built to compete NOW.  Yes, they choked it in the playoffs last year, but they did make the playoffs and have the team to make another run this year.  With Smith, you could really count on that run. With Mahomes, maybe you will get it but we don't really know for sure. Maybe they felt that Mahomes was going to start this year or next anyway...might as well get some assets.  Still, it is a bit of a gamble for them as well.  Remember early in the season folks had that team listed as Top 5 in Power Rankings.  Back then, Smith was considered a very capable QB...so not a stretch to say he could have one or two more good years in him...
They get a #3, a solid young CB and clear what I am seeing as 17 mil from the cap so they can make more moves...they had a year to groom Mahomes so they should have a good handle on what they have with him...I think this is an excellent sell a year early rather than a year late move...

New here? He's not. Nobody said he is. The Redskins didn't even say he is. What he IS is 20% less expensive than the salary KC has been demanding for years - to be the highest paid player of all time paid his market value.
He's never once said "I want to be the highest paid player in NFL history."

And the Skins already paid him $44MM over two years -- i.e. more than he'd have made if he'd actually accepted any of their offers.

ETA:  5 years, $72MM was the offer.  ~$14.5MM per year, with $53MM guaranteed over three years, or $17.7MM per year. 

Cousins has banked $44MM already and is going to get something like $23MM-$25MM  per year over the next three years.  IOW, the Skins offered him about $9MM per year less than his market value.

The Chiefs also bought an additional year to evaluate Mahomes 5th year clause by seeing him play FT in 18. 

Make that 30% less
I don't think he'll make all that more than the $71MM guaranteed that the Skins gave Smith when all is said and done. Say they save $5-7MM a year on the cap (meaning Cousins gets $28-30MM a year, and it actually think it may turn out to be much less) is that worth giving away a 3rd round pick, a young promising CB and downgrading to a QB that is also 4 years older?

ETA: I actually do like Smith and feel he's always been under-rated so I guess they at least have a decent QB which is tough to come by in this league.

I think the Chiefs are comfortable in their thought that Alex is a good QB who can get them to the playoffs. I also think that they do not see him leading them to a Super Bowl victory at this point. Like all trades there is risk. I think it was the right time and the right move for this team. One would assume they have seen enough from Mahomes to feel comfortable with him. 

Some really diverse and interesting opinions.

I see wins on both sides, as well as for Cousins.

WAS clearly does not see Cousins as a franchise QB, so they were not willing to pay him long term like one.  I can’t say that I can argue with that decision.  So they swapped out tagging Cousins at a massive number for a significantly lower number with Smith, who arguably gives WAS pretty much what they had with Cousins.  They gave up a 3rd rounder and a young CB who was struggling to get security at the QB position and now can use a little lower pick to get a QB who they can groom behind Smith. 

KC now clears the way for Mahomes and gets Smith off the books, gains a 3rd rounder, and if they can turn Fuller into anything useful get a bonus beside.  Smith is not a Reid QB and they went probably as far as they could with him.  If Mahomes falls flat this could end up being a disaster for the franchise but KC has had a year to look at him and clearly like what they see. 

Cousins now gets to go into a QB needy market and will command some very serious long term dollars.  I don’t happen to think he’ll be worth what he eventually gets paid, but if there is a team with almost everything else in place but a solid middling QB it could work perfectly.  

I think the real downfall on this deal may be Cousins’ future team.  Odds are they are going to pay him like he has Brady/Rodgers value and get Smith performance for their contract.  I can see Cousins getting awed by the numbers and going to a team that doesn’t have enough pieces around him, with it ending up looking like a pretty poor choice despite remaining middling and getting exactly what he has shown to date.  He’ll still get paid, but he may not move a franchise forward like you would expect for the dollars he’ll get and cap space he’ll consume.

3 winners, one potential loser IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread