What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexander Wants Record (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Seahawks' Alexander Will Start With Record on Mind

Running Back Can Break Record for Most Touchdowns in Season

By GREGG BELL, AP

KIRKLAND, Wash. (Dec. 28) - Seahawks' runner Shaun Alexander will leave the team Thursday to attend a family funeral in Cincinnati, but will return in time for Sunday's regular-season finale at Green Bay - and perhaps a touchdown record.

Alexander tied Priest Holmes' NFL record of 27 touchdowns in a season in Saturday's win over Indianapolis. He also has a career-high and Seahawks' record 1,807 yards rushing and is closing in on his first league rushing title. He leads Tiki Barber of the New York Giants by 150 yards entering this weekend's finales.

Alexander missed the rushing crown by 1 yard last season.

Holmgren said he would substitute his starters "pretty liberally" throughout Sunday's game. Asked if he would put Alexander back into the game if he still needed a touchdown, the coach shook his head and said, "I don't know. Let me think about that a little."

"I want him to get the record. We all want him to get the record," Holmgren said.

"The most important thing is we have our guys healthy for the playoffs. So if the situation comes up I am going to have to make a decision at the time - just like whether to go for it on fourth down or not," he said.

Seattle (13-2) has home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs. Barber's game with the Giants on Saturday night at Oakland is more important because New York needs a win to clinch the NFC East title.

Alexander's aunt died early Monday morning. Alexander said he and his brother were especially close to her, because she did not have children of her own.

"We kind of got to be like her sons," he said. Playing Sunday "will be different, but life goes on."

12/28/05 16:29 EST

Hi wannabe,This one has been interesting to me. He was smiling from ear to ear after being reinserted into the game he'd left to get the short TD. Said that he and Holmgren were starting to get on the same page now. That translates into "Mike realizes my pouting is worse to deal with than just letting me get my personal achievements in the record book."I can't imagine a situation where he wouldn't play this week. J

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its shocking but I agree with Bill Belichek on this subject. The game is on the schedule so you play it. I have no problem with Alexander wanting the record and playing this week to get it.He has had a great season. Normally, Alexander would have been in the game and his number would have been called for that TD anyways.As far as his comment about he and Holmgren being on the same page now, that is just pure ego. He wants to point out that he wields enough power now to get the coach to succumb to his wishes.

Joe, if gets the TD in the 1Q do yuo think he'd ply much after that? Hard for me to believe he would leave SA in for much more than a TD plunge with other starters out.

That translates into "Mike realizes my pouting is worse to deal with than just letting me get my personal achievements in the record book."
That's a pretty negative view. I read where Mike Holmgren said not only does he want Alexander to break the record, but it is important to the offensive line and Mack Strong. All of them have played a big part in Alexanders year, and all of them want him to get the record too, because it is their achievement too.

I think a lot of people here felt that a record's not legitimate if you "try to go for it" (a la Emmitt Smith).

I have no problem with Alexander here -- he's had a great season, the team has nothing more to play for, and it'd be a nice reward for a guy who barely missed the rushing title last year.

Honestly, I generally don't have a problem with players "trying to get a record", provided the team makes sure to have its own best interests in mind. Records are generally there because the current owner went for it in the past, and as records fall it becomes harder to knock them out so it takes more of a concerted effort. Like others said, a record for a player isn't just a personal goal, it's a team goal.

That translates into "Mike realizes my pouting is worse to deal with than just letting me get my personal achievements in the record book."
That's a pretty negative view. I read where Mike Holmgren said not only does he want Alexander to break the record, but it is important to the offensive line and Mack Strong. All of them have played a big part in Alexanders year, and all of them want him to get the record too, because it is their achievement too.
Hi Simey,For sure it's negative. It a'll stems back to his temper tantrum about how Holmgren "stabbed him in the back" not letting him get the rushing record last year. I would suggest maybe if he didn't run out of bounds on a few of those plays last year, he would have had the title.

I have no way of knowing as I can't mind read, but the outward impression of what I get from Alexander watching him very closely is that he's more concerned about the TD record than he is a playoff win.

J

Joe, if gets the TD in the 1Q do yuo think he'd ply much after that? Hard for me to believe he would leave SA in for much more than a TD plunge with other starters out.
That is the worry for SA owners. First drive, he could get 16 yards and one of them on a one yard TD plunge.

In my league that is only 7 points. THen he sits teh rest of the game, record in hand and countless SA owners kicking themselves for starting him. :wall:

Joe, if gets the TD in the 1Q do yuo think he'd ply much after that?  Hard for me to believe he would leave SA in for much more than a TD plunge with other starters out.
Hi NYCelt,I'd be shocked to see him in the game once he gets the record. The only way I think that happens is if he busts off a big run early and has as good shot at the 190 yards or whatever it is he needs.

If it's early 2nd quarter and he has 6 carries for 25 yards and he scores the TD, I think he's done. If he's got 10 carries for 125 yards in the 2nd quarter, I think he stays in.

J

HBO indside the NFL had a nice NFL films shot of Holmgren and and SA talking just before SA reentered the game to tie the record. Great job by NFL films getting that coversation taped.

Joe, if gets the TD in the 1Q do yuo think he'd ply much after that?  Hard for me to believe he would leave SA in for much more than a TD plunge with other starters out.
Hi NYCelt,I'd be shocked to see him in the game once he gets the record. The only way I think that happens is if he busts off a big run early and has as good shot at the 190 yards or whatever it is he needs.

If it's early 2nd quarter and he has 6 carries for 25 yards and he scores the TD, I think he's done. If he's got 10 carries for 125 yards in the 2nd quarter, I think he stays in.

J
That seems to be the consensus. 20-50 yards and a TD for SA and that's all folks.

J
That seems to be the consensus. 20-50 yards and a TD for SA and that's all folks.
I'd agree. What'll be interesting is if he gets held out of the endzone.Personally, I think he's so focused on the record, he'd go to the last series of the game trying to get it. It's the same argument / discussion we had about the Colts before the SD game. Do they risk the playoffs for the record. I'm not sure what Indy would have done. I personally think Alexander will absolutely risk playing for the record.

J

Something I don't get about this conversation:Mike Holmgren is widely regarded as one of the most intimidating and no-nonsense coaches in the NFL. Brett Favre steered clear of him at all times in Green Bay.But I am now supposed to believe that Shaun Alexander has Holmgren eating out of the palm of his hand?

J
I'd agree. What'll be interesting is if he gets held out of the endzone.Personally, I think he's so focused on the record, he'd go to the last series of the game trying to get it. It's the same argument / discussion we had about the Colts before the SD game. Do they risk the playoffs for the record. I'm not sure what Indy would have done. I personally think Alexander will absolutely risk playing for the record.

J
Problem is that at some point the OL and FB are going to come out. SA goes with them.

J

J
Problem is that at some point the OL and FB are going to come out. SA goes with them.
Not necessarily. He wants that record BADLY.J

Something I don't get about this conversation:

Mike Holmgren is widely regarded as one of the most intimidating and no-nonsense coaches in the NFL.  Brett Favre steered clear of him at all times in Green Bay.

But I am now supposed to believe that Shaun Alexander has Holmgren eating out of the palm of his hand?
Hi gump,I kind of disagree there. Holmgren used to be more firey but lately, he's mellowed to more the big teddy bear guy.

J

I think Alexander's play time will be dictated by what he does early. If he breaks a few long runs [i.e., gets 80-100 yards at half time], I wouldn't be shocked if Holmgren allowed him to come back in for the 2nd half just for the outside shot at 2,000 yards. But most likely, as others have suggested, he'll get in for a few series and get his TD and then be sat.

Something I don't get about this conversation:

Mike Holmgren is widely regarded as one of the most intimidating and no-nonsense coaches in the NFL.  Brett Favre steered clear of him at all times in Green Bay.

But I am now supposed to believe that Shaun Alexander has Holmgren eating out of the palm of his hand?
Hi gump,I kind of disagree there. Holmgren used to be more firey but lately, he's mellowed to more the big teddy bear guy.

J
Hey Joe - Admittedly, I am going by what I have seen on NFL films, with most of the footage from Green Bay. I also watched a recent round table discussion with Holmgren, Gruden, Reid, Mariucci, etc...and they were all petrified of him....still.

Did he really do a complete 180?

Hi Simey,For sure it's negative. It a'll stems back to his temper tantrum about how Holmgren "stabbed him in the back" not letting him get the rushing record last year. I would suggest maybe if he didn't run out of bounds on a few of those plays last year, he would have had the title.

I have no way of knowing as I can't mind read, but the outward impression of what I get from Alexander watching him very closely is that he's more concerned about the TD record than he is a playoff win.

J
Sounds to me like a Tennessee fan hating on an Alabama player. :)

Hey Joe -

Admittedly, I am going by what I have seen on NFL films, with most of the footage from Green Bay. I also watched a recent round table discussion with Holmgren, Gruden, Reid, Mariucci, etc...and they were all petrified of him....still.

Did he really do a complete 180?
This is the bit that I am recalling--even Gruden looked like a whipped little dog around him. That would be quite a turnaround to "teddy bear" status. . .

Hi wannabe,

This one has been interesting to me.

He was smiling from ear to ear after being reinserted into the game he'd left to get the short TD. Said that he and Holmgren were starting to get on the same page now. That translates into "Mike realizes my pouting is worse to deal with than just letting me get my personal achievements in the record book."

I can't imagine a situation where he wouldn't play this week.

J
Hello Joe,We all remember last year vividly. I can only imagine how vivid it is for SA and Holmgren. In addition, since the 'Hawks cannot franchise SA next year, I assume they will go out of their way to placate SA with free agency looming. I think all concerned believe SA can get more money elsewhere, but the "Hawks need as many non-money value adds (winning team, record, etc.) to help SA with the decision to stay. This will be his big chance at a big payday.

I think he plays this week. How much and what stats will be determined by a lot of factors.

I think that there is another part of the equation here which is being missed.

Holmgren is the GM and he has a vested interest in seeing Shaun Alexander succeed for the team goals but not accomplish certain personal goals and their associated large monetary rewards.

Shaun Alexander had a right to complain last year because that 1.1 yards he missed the rushing title by probably cost him on the order of a $1 Million.

Shaun Alexander has a right to set his personal goals high as long as they are consistent with achieving team success first and foremost and then also to achieve his monetary bonuses.

I do not think your perception of his whining Joe is reasonable based on how these guys get paid. If Shaun Alexander gets 40 yards and a TD this weekend, but then Tiki goes for 200 rushing yards and beats him for the title, then I am betting that Shaun losses out on the $ again!

In closing, I think that Shaun Alexander has proven for several years now that he is an elite back. He has also stated that he WANTS to stay in Seattle. IMHO, I think that Holmgren and the Seattle brass are being unfair to him by not have an signed contract at this point.

How funny would it be if he got a high ankle sprain... be interesting to hear Holmgren backpeddle, and then Shaun (who is a good guy, for the record) regret the selfishness.

I think that there is another part of the equation here which is being missed.

Holmgren is the GM and he has a vested interest in seeing Shaun Alexander succeed for the team goals but not accomplish certain personal goals and their associated large monetary rewards.

Shaun Alexander had a right to complain last year because that 1.1 yards he missed the rushing title by probably cost him on the order of a $1 Million.

Shaun Alexander has a right to set his personal goals high as long as they are consistent with achieving team success first and foremost and then also to achieve his monetary bonuses.

I do not think your perception of his whining Joe is reasonable based on how these guys get paid. If Shaun Alexander gets 40 yards and a TD this weekend, but then Tiki goes for 200 rushing yards and beats him for the title, then I am betting that Shaun losses out on the $ again!

In closing, I think that Shaun Alexander has proven for several years now that he is an elite back. He has also stated that he WANTS to stay in Seattle. IMHOI, I think that Holmgren and the Seattle brass are being unfair to him by not have an signed contract at this point.
:no: Mike Holmgren had his GM duties removed and Tim Ruskell now calls the personnel shots.

He could also bludgeon himself with an axe splitting wood for his fireplace too.Cannot be afraid of getting hurt in this game ...

StingerRay, can you briefly describe the conversation between the two before Alexander went in for the touchdown? I haven't seen this clip yet and probably will not.

HBO indside the NFL had a nice NFL films shot of Holmgren and and SA talking just before SA reentered the game to tie the record. Great job by NFL films getting that coversation taped.

So tell me how my thesis changes just because it is Russell now instead of Holmgren?

The principle remains the same.
I'm merely correcting a fallacy in your statement. But even if Holmgren were still the GM [as he was last year for intents and purposes], there's no way you would convince me Holmgren, the coach, would have intentionally done something that had a minor financial benefit for Holmgren, the GM, at the expense of angering one of his key players. Coach/GMs are coaches first and foremost. That's one of the best arguments for why it's so difficult to do both jobs effectively. As a coach you have to want your team to play their hearts out for you, and that gets hard to do when they see you as the gatekeeper for their $$$$.

After SAs little temper tantrum last year I am not surprised.Big question is - if he gets the record will his demands not increase - if they do ( and I think they do) he could price himself out of the market and then I have to believe SEA will have the inside track.Of course a team like MIN could still be willing to fork over the big bucks.

Alexander is not the only starter getting playing time for the Seahawks this weekend. All their healthy starters will be playing. How much nobody knows. From Holmrgen: “We are going to win the game. The game is important to us, and all season long I have preached that we play the game a certain way, we practice a certain way, and we try and set a standard of play. I don’t look at this game, even though I have the luxury of substituting some of our young guys in there. I want our starters to play and I want them to play well and I want them to move the football. That’s what they have been doing all year, so we are not going to do anything different now. Just that now I have the luxury of, at some point, putting the younger guys in there."He also said some not healthy won't play, and some like Walter Jones he will be careful with.Q: Will Walter Jones get much time this week?Holmgren: “We need Walter to feel real good. I always feel good when he feels good. I’m going to be careful with Walter. Let me put it that way.”

Jason,Part of what you say makes sense. :D The part about balancing the business with the coaching for sure makes sense.Parts do not ...One part that does not, is if Seattle really wants Shaun happy, then why is he still without a contract.Another part that does not make sense is if Holmgren wants him happy, then why not give him the chance for the 1 yard last year to eek out Martin? He gets the title and the bonus! Everybody wins!I think that Holmgren conscienciously made that decision from a financial perspective last year and he has taken grief about it all year. That is why he is so soft this year, as Shaun approaches these two personal milestones.

...He gets the title and the bonus! Everybody wins!

...as Shaun approaches these two personal milestones.
What good are personal records compared to your team winning in the playoffs & playing in the SB? Alexander clearly revealed his desire for personal fame over the team when he had his little hissy fit about a meaningless rushing title.

And you guys have doubts about his production dropping once he gets "paid"? The guy looks out for himself and no one else.

Tackling Dummies,I respectfully disagree.The "hissy fit" you refer to probably cost Shaun Alexander $1 Million. The playoffs were in hand. 1.1 yards meant a lot to Alexander. It also meant a lot to the Seahawks.Ever been in a situation where you could earn that much money as it culminates through the potential of one step [2 or 3 seconds]?This year the playoffs are in hand. Home field is in hand. Why play any of the players this week? Why not sign a bunch of guys off the practice squad or the street ...You are paying these guys big bucks to play every week. You have several 10,000's of people who have paid to see the best on the field this week! It is a tricky balance. You also don't want them to loose their edge. They have one week off already; do you really want them to have two?Shaun's personal goals have in no way detracted from the team goals to date; in fact as Holmgren has articulated if Alexander takes the rushing title, the whole O-Line + Strong + Alexander get a huge shot in the arm. They get credibility. They get acclaim. They get acknowledgment.Unless the score is completely lopsided after the close of the 1st quarter, I fully expect the starters to be in the game until the start of the 2nd half.

...He gets the title and the bonus!  Everybody wins!

...as Shaun approaches these two personal milestones.
What good are personal records compared to your team winning in the playoffs & playing in the SB? Alexander clearly revealed his desire for personal fame over the team when he had his little hissy fit about a meaningless rushing title.
As others have said, it wasn't meaningless to him, it could have meant a lot of money. He missed by only 1 yard and I think it's reasonable that he could be a little upset about coming so close.I'd go as far as to say that his desire to gain 2 more yards was not too detrimental to the team (although the way he went about it surely was).

Of course, the typical Joe fan will now go on about how "do you really need an extra million to buy bling bling" garbage without realizing that these players have families to take care of and want to do the best thing for the people they care about.

Tackling Dummies,

I respectfully disagree.

The "hissy fit" you refer to probably cost Shaun Alexander $1 Million.  The playoffs were in hand.  1.1 yards meant a lot to Alexander.  It also meant a lot to the Seahawks.

Ever been in a situation where you could earn that much money as it culminates through the potential of one step [2 or 3 seconds]?

This year the playoffs are in hand.  Home field is in hand.  Why play any of the players this week?  Why not sign a bunch of guys off the practice squad or the street ...

You are paying these guys big bucks to play every week.  You have several 10,000's of people who have paid to see the best on the field this week!  It is a tricky balance.  You also don't want them to loose their edge.  They have one week off already; do you really want them to have two?

Shaun's personal goals have in no way detracted from the team goals to date; in fact as Holmgren has articulated if Alexander takes the rushing title, the whole O-Line + Strong + Alexander get a huge shot in the arm.  They get credibility.  They get acclaim.  They get acknowledgment.

Unless the score is completely lopsided after the close of the 1st quarter, I fully expect the starters to be in the game until the start of the 2nd half.
I don't remember the 1-yard fiasco with great specificity, is there any indication that Alexander knew he needed another couple of yards and, if so, did he approach Holmgren about that fact during the game?I can't remember hearing that but remember when Alexander got livid initially thinking, "how the heck is Mike Holmgren supposed to know what Alexander needs to for the rushing title down to the very yard, during the heat of an actual game?"

The "hissy fit" you refer to probably cost Shaun Alexander $1 Million. The playoffs were in hand. 1.1 yards meant a lot to Alexander. It also meant a lot to the Seahawks.
Last time I checked, the Seahawks team did win that game after all. Team wins. Slight pause. Player whines about missing out on a personal bonus.

Who seriously cares about Shaun Alexander's incentive clauses? Really? Unless you're in his last will, not many people. At the edge of the playoffs and capping off a good season, he accused his coach of doing him wrong.

Amazing.

Jason,NFL.com shows that the games were overlapping and that the Jets game [in St. Louis] would have concluded before the Seahawks game finished [in Seattle].I would also agree that it is unreasonable to expect either Alexander or Holmgren to know the status of Martin's day,but there are dozens of staff on each team associated with scouting, watching opposition, etc. and you can bet that there was someone watching the NY Jets game. Someone had to have told the entire group of folks down on the field that Martin had surpassed Alexander and he only needed 1 yard to tie Martin.Additionally, Seattle had a narrow lead and needed the victory against the Falcons to go into the playoffs.Their last drive they had a 1st and goal from the 3.1st play, Alexander for 2 yards.2nd play, Hasselbeck for 1 yard and a TD.Given that Alexander is the rushing stud and that he is a TD machine, I would say that he had a pretty strong case for at least one touch from the 1 ...

Tackling Dummies,

I respectfully disagree.

The "hissy fit" you refer to probably cost Shaun Alexander $1 Million.  The playoffs were in hand.  1.1 yards meant a lot to Alexander.  It also meant a lot to the Seahawks.

Ever been in a situation where you could earn that much money as it culminates through the potential of one step [2 or 3 seconds]?

This year the playoffs are in hand.  Home field is in hand.  Why play any of the players this week?  Why not sign a bunch of guys off the practice squad or the street ...

You are paying these guys big bucks to play every week.  You have several 10,000's of people who have paid to see the best on the field this week!  It is a tricky balance.  You also don't want them to loose their edge.  They have one week off already; do you really want them to have two?

Shaun's personal goals have in no way detracted from the team goals to date; in fact as Holmgren has articulated if Alexander takes the rushing title, the whole O-Line + Strong + Alexander get a huge shot in the arm.  They get credibility.  They get acclaim.  They get acknowledgment.

Unless the score is completely lopsided after the close of the 1st quarter, I fully expect the starters to be in the game until the start of the 2nd half.
I don't remember the 1-yard fiasco with great specificity, is there any indication that Alexander knew he needed another couple of yards and, if so, did he approach Holmgren about that fact during the game?I can't remember hearing that but remember when Alexander got livid initially thinking, "how the heck is Mike Holmgren supposed to know what Alexander needs to for the rushing title down to the very yard, during the heat of an actual game?"
Homgren has 2 stories - 1) the record didn;t factor into it

changed to:

2) I didn't know.

In reality, he probably didn't know and if he did, he probably didn't care even if Alexander was in his ear yapping about the rushing crown.

Conspiracy theory is that Holmgren knew SA and the team were heading into a K renegotiation season and didn't want to allow SA to hit the incentive bonus - I don't buy that one little bit.

Their last drive they had a 1st and goal from the 3.

1st play, Alexander for 2 yards.

2nd play, Hasselbeck for 1 yard and a TD.

Given that Alexander is the rushing stud and that he is a TD machine, I would say that he had a pretty strong case for at least one touch from the 1 ...
:no: They play to WIN - from the one, the best chance was to fool the defense with a QB sneak or option play (whch he ran in instead of throwing in) - whichever it was, if that failed, then you run SA from the one on 3rd and 1.

Given that Alexander is the rushing stud and that he is a TD machine, I would say that he had a pretty strong case for at least one touch from the 1 ...
:no: They play to WIN - from the one, the best chance was to fool the defense with a QB sneak or option play (whch he ran in instead of throwing in) - whichever it was, if that failed, then you run SA from the one on 3rd and 1.
:goodposting:

Last time I checked, the Seahawks team did win that game after all. Team wins. Slight pause. Player whines about missing out on a personal bonus.

Who seriously cares about Shaun Alexander's incentive clauses? Really? Unless you're in his last will, not many people. At the edge of the playoffs and capping off a good season, he accused his coach of doing him wrong.

Amazing.
Do you really think it's unreasonable for a guy to be upset that he missed out on $1 million over 2 yards?If it was only about winning, there'd be no pro sports. Money factors into it, and it always has. Players can care about more than 1 thing at once.

It amazes me that people continue to view SA as selfish, when he spends SO MUCH time, money, and energy helping others. Putting more weight on a heat-of-the-moment comment over years of unselfish, ego-free charity work is odd...but I guess typical of a message board.

It amazes me that people continue to view SA as selfish, when he spends SO MUCH time, money, and energy helping others.

Putting more weight on a heat-of-the-moment comment over years of unselfish, ego-free charity work is odd...but I guess typical of a message board.
We're just horrible people.

I think they'll let him try for the record (if they get an opportunity to do so), simply because they'd rather have a happy Shaun for the playoffs than a bitter one. This is their Super Bowl year and you want everybody in the best condition possible both physically and mentally for that run. Maybe they learned something from last year and won't invite potential trouble again this year.What's interestng to me is whether they give him a shot at 2000.Also interesting will be seeing how Holmgren treats this one in relation to Favre. Does he call off the dogs in what may be Favre's last game?

Was that a play-action pass to SA? Or did Holmgren pull him from the game?

Was that a play-action pass to SA? Or did Holmgren pull him from the game?
I don't know - could look at the play by play, but that won't say if SA was in or out of the game for that play.

As is SA apparently...
Not sure where you'd get that. I think people are thinking he put a little too much on personal goals maybe more than team goals. I think that's all people are saying. Exact same discussion we had about the Colts trying to go for the perfect season possibly at the expense of the Super Bowl back before the SD game.J

As is SA apparently...
Not sure where you'd get that. I think people are thinking he put a little too much on personal goals maybe more than team goals. I think that's all people are saying. Exact same discussion we had about the Colts trying to go for the perfect season possibly at the expense of the Super Bowl back before the SD game.J
Joe, in all respect to gump, his comment was sarcastic - his previous post in the thread:
It amazes me that people continue to view SA as selfish, when he spends SO MUCH time, money, and energy helping others.

Putting more weight on a heat-of-the-moment comment over years of unselfish, ego-free charity work is odd...but I guess typical of a message board.

Users who are viewing this thread