What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All 32 defensive schemes and key players within them (1 Viewer)

ChicagoArch said:
I haven't seen much talk about Jon Bostic. He's on Indy now and he and Spence have been getting starters reps in OTAs and Minicamps. He's been getting some positive buzz. Former 2nd round draft pick who has dealt with a bunch of injuries. I picked him up off of waivers last week. Cheap pickup with decent upside who can be dropped early if he gets hurt again or loses the starting spot to Edwin Jackson or Antonio Morrison.

I did the same.  Minimum bid for a guy getting glowing reports right now.  I'm a huge Spence fan but that injury early on seemed to really impact him for good.  This looks like a reasonable roll of the dice.

What value does Kiko hold? Most news has him at wlb so his value tanks, correct? 
I don't think it does. I think he's still a 3 down LB, you want his speed on the field on passing downs. As has been pointed out, Wright and Wagner manage to both do well in Seattle at MLB and WLB.

What value does Kiko hold? Most news has him at wlb so his value tanks, correct? 
Not at all.  There are plenty of productive WILL in the league.  Barron, Telvin Smith, Thomas Davis, Lavonte David just to name a few.  The key is playing 3 downs and actually being good.

Well I suppose he could, but that's not about playing WILL per se, just like Ellerbee's concerns aren't about playing WILL.  If the guy has injury problems or skill issues it won't matter where he lines up, he'll struggle to score.  But the WILL position in general puts playmakers in a position to make plays.  It's a bit unique in that it takes a more specific skillset than some other LB spots do.  It's an "off ball" position so starts a few steps from the line of scrimmage and isn't always accounted for in the blocking scheme.  The best WILL are those that can quickly diagnose the play, have the speed to get to the ball from farther away, and can sift through "trash" - various OL/DL/LB that aren't really schemed to stop the WILL, but are just "in the way" of the ball carrier - to get to the ball quickly.

Think of how guys try to defend Steph Curry - they stay back, chase him around the court, run through screens and picks, and when the ball is passed to him, they rush to get into his face.  That's a WILL. 

Again, the key, as with nearly all LB, is if he's on the field for passing downs.  If so he can get a lot of RB or TE coverage assignments or even just dropping into zone and cleaning up anything that happens around him.  Even if that only gets two tackles per game, that's an additional 4 PPG.  It takes a guy from an 11.0 per game  "two down thumper" to a 15.0 LB1. 

*standard disclaimer - there is no universal concept defensively, they are all different, so one team's WILL might have very different skills, assignments, and results than another's depending on each team's coaching philosophy.

The KC ILB depth chart is getting as muddy as OAK's and Indy's. They resigned Josh Mauga. He would've started last year if not for injury. If you've been holding onto Ramik Wilson or Justin March-Lillard, you may need to grab Mauga to protect your investment. So I'm now holding Wilson, Mauga and Eligwe. That's not too many KC Lbs, I tell myself...

I didn't see the Browns game this week.  Are they running the Big Nickel?  If so, was there a DB who benefited in that alignment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading into the all-important 3rd preseason game, how are things looking for that Saints LB core? Roto now has Teo listed as the starting ILB with Anthony as WLB and Klein as SLB, but the blurb on Anzalone is that he's likely to win the starting WLB spot over Anthony. If Klein sticks at SLB is he worth owning at all? Is this all still as muddy as the Mississippi?

Heading into the all-important 3rd preseason game, how are things looking for that Saints LB core? Roto now has Teo listed as the starting ILB with Anthony as WLB and Klein as SLB, but the blurb on Anzalone is that he's likely to win the starting WLB spot over Anthony. If Klein sticks at SLB is he worth owning at all? Is this all still as muddy as the Mississippi?
Well, then this blurb popped through the news cycle at MFL:

"(RotoWire) Klein made six tackles (four solo) and notched a quarterback hit and a half sack in Sunday's preseason game against the Chargers. According to Mike Triplett of ESPN.com, Klein looks like a lock to start at linebacker for the Saints in Week 1.

Analysis: Klein signed a three-year, $15 million deal on the first day of free agency, as the Saints lured the four-year veteran away from the rival Panthers. The 6-foot-1, 240-pound linebacker was terrific in his second preseason game in New Orleans and has taken over as the commanding "quarterback" of the Saints' defense, playing a dual role as a strong-side linebacker in base defense and the middle linebacker on passing downs. While Klein has never recorded more that 55 tackles in a season, the former fifth-round draft pick looks like a cinch to surpass his career highs as long as he stays healthy."

nevermind on that question about Klein's value.... lol

I don't know if Teo got more playing time, the start etc. because it was against his old team, but you could see the potential if he plays with the same motivation as he did last night. He could be a great pick up.   7 solos and a sack.   Klein was all over the field as well.  He will be a SLB, but in on 3rd downs.  Anthony did not dress, so we did not see how he competes with Anzalone, but the steady but non spectacular C. Robertson split the reps with Anzalone.   To be honest if the season started today I think Robertson would be playing the WLB spot. 

The Saints opened in nickel and it was all Klein and Anzalone.  Vaccaro played in the box all night and Marcus Williams and Vonn Bell played twin tower based on offensive alignment.

El bumpo for 2019.  I need contributions, can't keep up on all this stuff myself any more.  Let me know your thoughts, corrections, and contributions in any form.

Cardinals hired Vance Joseph...

Keim also announced Wednesday that the defense would switch back to a 3-4 from the 4-3 they ran under former head coach Steve Wilks. Kingsbury added that he wanted the defense to have an "attacking style."

JoeSteeler said:

Keim also announced Wednesday that the defense would switch back to a 3-4 from the 4-3 they ran under former head coach Steve Wilks. Kingsbury added that he wanted the defense to have an "attacking style."
kills any value for Ndekimche likely next year. Swearinger is an unknown now, too.

Tampa seems to be a question mark with the biggest question being JPP. Bowles has recently ran 3-4 defenses which would likely make JPP a linebacker, but he has ran 4-3s in the distant past. Everything I’ve read says what he’ll run is a work in progress and he’ll decide after analyzing the teams strengths. 

fruity pebbles said:
Gregg Williams to the Jets which will switch them to a 4-3.
Here's our first one to jump on - who benefits from IDP here?  I don't know their edge guys, who's going to make the switch to DE? 

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2019/01/15/the-idp-impact-of-todd-bowles-to-the-buccaneers/

I don't know if this is behind a paywall since I'm a member so I won't post the body of the article, but the gist is as expected - any value the edge guys had evaporates with them going to LB.  Big loss with a top 5 DE in JPP and any breakout opportunity you were stashing Spence for is gone. 

kills any value for Ndekimche likely next year. Swearinger is an unknown now, too.
Nkemdichi's play has killed his value already.  However, those those buying the "eventually" line, he seems like the kind of athletic profile that can be the rare 3-4 DE success - what's your thought process here?

Here's our first one to jump on - who benefits from IDP here?  I don't know their edge guys, who's going to make the switch to DE? 
Any chance this could give Leonard Williams the coveted DT designation?  That’s the one potential bright spot I could see here.

Any chance this could give Leonard Williams the coveted DT designation?  That’s the one potential bright spot I could see here.
Getting a DT designation in a 4-3 by itself isn't the holy grail because those guys are rarely playing any type of outside technique and either have to 2-gap effectively or be very disruptive guys.  Plenty do, but the designation itself isn't the path to gold.  The biggie is the 3-4 guy playing 5T most of the time so he gets outside alignment, that's an easier path to rack up points.  Think Aaron Donald.  He's actually a DT on Roto right now.  Not sure why he didn't carry that into MFL, but his 13.3 PPG would have been absurd at DT.

Don't get me wrong, I'd always rather any given guy get the DT tag if I own them.  But getting outside alignment opportunities is how the freebie points really stack up.

But this is kind of what I'm looking for from homers.  Can Williams be dominant inside?  His production has been very average the last two years, and even a DT designation wouldn't do much for him - 6.62 PPG goes from DE42 to DT17 - solid, but not going to win you anything.

Kansas City changing d coordinators could have major ramifications especially if the rumors of Spagnuolo are true. He runs a 4-3. Justin Houston would be a DE, Chris Jones probably a DT. Not sure what it means for Dee Ford. If they keep him probably a DE, although he’s small. May mean they let him leave as a free agent.

MIA seems to be in full tank mode. The Fitzmagic show should be fun, though.

Frank Clark to KC. Who takes over for SEA? Green? Cassius Marsh is 100% journeyman JAG. They must be set to draft a replacement DE now, I imagine.

Seems like a really odd move for KC to jettison players at DE only to break the bank on Clark. Reported as 5 / 106M with 63M guaranteed. I guess he's younger and (arguably) more proven than Dee Ford, and maybe a better fit for 4-3?

Frank Clark to KC. Who takes over for SEA? Green? Cassius Marsh is 100% journeyman JAG. They must be set to draft a replacement DE now, I imagine.

Seems like a really odd move for KC to jettison players at DE only to break the bank on Clark. Reported as 5 / 106M with 63M guaranteed. I guess he's younger and (arguably) more proven than Dee Ford, and maybe a better fit for 4-3?
Strikes me as odd as well. Makes no sense, why would KC take on a player with character concerns after what they've been through?

Ford and Houston were both LB in the 3-4 and not particularly suited for the 4-3.  Clark on the other hand is a 4-3 DE.  I think this had a lot more to do with scheme change for wanting Clark over Ford/Houston.  Plus Clark is younger and the other two are seemingly injury prone. 

Very concerning Roto still has GBP as a 3-4 alignment.  This affects quite a few guys, mostly their EDGE.  Any homers have insight?  I was expecting a Petine defense to convert to 4-3 but maybe he's sticking with the best fits for the current personnel?

Hankmoody said:
Very concerning Roto still has GBP as a 3-4 alignment.  This affects quite a few guys, mostly their EDGE.  Any homers have insight?  I was expecting a Petine defense to convert to 4-3 but maybe he's sticking with the best fits for the current personnel?
Pettine is a hybrid guy with 3-4 leanings. 

Might be a helpful tool in providing an aerial view of the PROJECTED LB production for the entire league with all stats broken down in one gif.

LINK >>>>>      LB PROJECTION MODEL

@RyanMillerNFL

LB PRODUCTION MODEL I know I’ve hyped up my models in the past, but this one is truly a gamechanger.

I created a LB tool that adjusts for age, free agency, NFL roster depth, and coaching! Buckle up and feel free to ask away about any LB you’re interested in for dynasty (1/9)

Might be a helpful tool in providing an aerial view of the PROJECTED LB production for the entire league with all stats broken down in one gif.

LINK >>>>>      LB PROJECTION MODEL

@RyanMillerNFL

LB PRODUCTION MODEL I know I’ve hyped up my models in the past, but this one is truly a gamechanger.

I created a LB tool that adjusts for age, free agency, NFL roster depth, and coaching! Buckle up and feel free to ask away about any LB you’re interested in for dynasty (1/9) 
Any thoughts on Rashann Evans making a jump with Tennessee? Also thoughs on Ruben Foster if he stays on the field. 

Any thoughts on Rashann Evans making a jump with Tennessee? Also thoughs on Ruben Foster if he stays on the field. 
Woodyard is a ufa after the season. The Titans have lots of rea$on$ to have Evans be his replacement. If he doesn't beat the vet out then that wont bode well for his chances. But I like situations with fast turnaround times and we should know about his pretty quick. 

Good trade for Darron Lee. If he cant beat out Ragland then that's a Lee problem. Question becomes who gets more snaps between him and O'Daniel post suspension. 

Browns not running a conventional LB grouping, only using two with five DB base in drills and OTAs.

Cleveland Browns OTAs 2019: Winners and losers

LOSER: The idea of traditional linebackers

When the Browns released Jamie Collins earlier this year, the obvious question was who would replace him at strongside linebacker? Dorsey, when asked, was quick to say that Genard Avery had a good rookie season. 

But Avery was mostly used as an edge rusher, and struggled in coverage last season.

In the end, maybe nobody will replace Collins. The Browns’ defense has mostly used two linebackers during full team drills at OTAs. While Joe Schobert and Christian Kirksey have taken first-team reps, rookies Sione Takitaki and Mack Wilson have been on the second team. Avery, meanwhile, has been used as an edge rusher on the second team.

Instead of three linebackers, Wilks’ defense has often used multiple safeties or cornerbacks. 

It’s one new wrinkle that Wilks will try to use to improve a defense that was graded 27th in the league by Pro Football Focus last season. 
Of the DBs, who 'might' benefit?

Way too early blip on the radar name to file away >>>

WINNER: Jermaine Whitehead

The player nobody expected to be writing about during OTAs is clearly Whitehead. While we were all wondering who would win the starting strong safety job and be the third linebacker, Whitehead came out of nowhere as a wrinkle in Steve Wilks’ defense.

Used as a third safety in many full team drills during OTAs, Whitehead was brought up unprovoked by Wilks and praised as being a smart player who takes control. 

Whitehead might be the answer to Browns frustrated by the team’s inability to cover tight ends in recent years. 

“Tight ends in the league are becoming more like glorified receivers, so we try to match up with those guys with a safety and put guys in position where we’ve got the advantage,” Whitehead told Doug Lesmerises.

Whitehead was undrafted out of Auburn in 2015 and spent time on the 49ers’ practice squad and a month with the Ravens during the 2016 offseason before signing with the Packers. He played in 17 games (two starts) in Green Bay before being waived seven games into last season. The Browns claimed him, but he only got six snaps on defense in seven games. 

A new coaching staff has new ideas for Whitehead. 

^ A nice name to stash, but what should we expect from a Wilks defense? He did the same in ARZ last season and it looked like hot garbage. There will certainly be points there but I think a big part of ARZ putting up 3 top 10 safeties (ppg, scoring dependent, obviously) was the absolute ####show that offense was, and that's not likely to be the case in CLE this year. CLE also has much better talent along the front 7 and is likely to leave far, far less cleanup work for the safeties, even if it is a "front 6" with 3 S.

I'm skeptical.

^ A nice name to stash, but what should we expect from a Wilks defense? He did the same in ARZ last season and it looked like hot garbage. There will certainly be points there but I think a big part of ARZ putting up 3 top 10 safeties (ppg, scoring dependent, obviously) was the absolute ####show that offense was, and that's not likely to be the case in CLE this year. CLE also has much better talent along the front 7 and is likely to leave far, far less cleanup work for the safeties, even if it is a "front 6" with 3 S.

I'm skeptical.
I don't know what happened in Arizona but he was the Panthers DC when they went to the Super Bowl so he can coach IMHO.

Per what we're hearing of the Browns defense from OTAs, the 4-2-5 base should make people focus on the LBers and since Wilks likes to drop his MLB into coverage it 'could' mean a bump out of Kirsksey who played poorly last year before his injury.  He should be dirt cheap out on the waiver wire.

Of the safety who flashed and was mentioned above, he is currently buried on the depth chart but the two starters, Damarious Randall and Morgan Burnett are not box safeties.  Randall is a FS and Burnett hated the role of a box-safety in Pittsburgh and asked for his release.  Their was a hole and I thought they would have signed someone but Whitehead 'might' be able to take over the role of a box safety.  It really is too early but here is the first story devoted to him.

Browns safety Jermaine Whitehead envisions ‘breakthrough point of my career’

I'm skeptical.
If you can figure out why Wilks did what he did with his LB's then I think a lot of questions get answered.  Bucannon falling out of favor may have happened regardless, but the decision to play Bynes and then Hodges in front of him is/was puzzling.  Reddick was probably a misfit for what Wilks wants to do, but he then chose to not play him then have him play a role that doesn't showcase his skill set.  I'm not concerned about Wilks with this group because the way the depth chart is shaped he isn't in this sorta situation to repeat last year's mistakes.  It's on my radar for future seasons though.  Good coaches adapt and I don't think he did last year.

Re Whitehead - I don't think they want to rush Redwine into the role, so they're going to give this guy a shot.  I think plan A is for Redwine to take over the role midseason, plan B is next season, and plan C is find someone else 9 months from now.

Re Whitehead - I don't think they want to rush Redwine into the role, so they're going to give this guy a shot.  I think plan A is for Redwine to take over the role midseason, plan B is next season, and plan C is find someone else 9 months from now.
Even though he's buried on the depth chart he is running with the 1s.  They tend to not update the depth chart till sometime in TC.

Some other good stuff here as well.

Jermaine Whitehead continues to run with the first-team defense  

...Jermaine Whitehead continues to run with the first-team defense, and it appears the safety has not only done enough to keep his reps but, even though it is early June, we may have to pencil him into the starting 11.

If you can figure out why Wilks did what he did with his LB's then I think a lot of questions get answered.  Bucannon falling out of favor may have happened regardless, but the decision to play Bynes and then Hodges in front of him is/was puzzling. 
What was wrong with Bynes?  Hodges replaced him after he got hurt

...Jermaine Whitehead continues to run with the first-team defense, and it appears the safety has not only done enough to keep his reps but, even though it is early June, we may have to pencil him into the starting 11.
A lil-more information/speculation on what sort of rotation Whitehead could force if he keeps up his play.  Cleveland Browns: Jermaine Whitehead has earned his opportunity to contribute 

...Whitehead has had a lot of reps thrown his way in part because of a minor injury to Morgan Burnett that has kept him from participating. Beyond his performance on the field, Whitehead has been praised for his leadership.

In attempting to replace Jabrill Peppers, the Browns appear to be going with a committee approach. Burnett is the best box safety they have while Whitehead and rookie Sheldrick Redwine appear to vying for more of a coverage safety role, giving them the ability to adjust their personnel to matchups and situations.  

Whitehead is entering his fourth year in the league and that gives him an advantage over the fourth round pick out of Miami and while his top end speed isn't nearly as good as Redwine, Whitehead does offer fantastic agility.

If Whitehead can lock down that coverage safety role, it could enable Redwine to be a factor in the slot, an area where he was fantastic in his college career. He has tremendous instincts and mirrors really well and that versatility could ultimately save the Browns a roster spot, allowing them to keep another player, perhaps kept entirely for their special teams ability.

It remains to be seen if when the pads come on that Whitehead will continue to impress, but the point of OTAs and minicamp is to find players worth a look in training camp. Whitehead has done that, catching the attention of defensive coordinator Steve Wilks.

Now, entering training camp, he's in a position to earn a job on this team, which gives them one more option potentially benefit them when they form their final 53-man roster.
My understanding was that Morgan Burnett asked for his release from Pittsburgh because he wasn't comfortable being a box-safety but that is his role with the Browns and Whitehead is being used as a cover-safety so this is new (to me) info.

something to watch...

(RotoWire) T.J.  McDonald could see time at linebacker in 2019, Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post reports.

Analysis: With Bobby McCain lining up at safety rather than cornerback this spring, the Dolphins seemingly have an overstock of talented players in the back end of the secondary. Joining McCain there is McDonald, Reshad Jones and Minkah Fitzpatrick, though Jones and his hefty contract might, reportedly, be on the trade block. That may mean that Miami coaches have creative plans in store, and chief among them is apparently getting McDonald closer to the line of scrimmage. McDonald seemingly has the size to do that at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds, and in such a role the 28-year-old could possibly improve upon his 6.1 tackle-per-game average from a season ago.

1 NFL Player at Each Position Who Will Explode into Stardom in 2019   

Off-Ball Linebacker: Rashaan Evans, Tennessee Titans

Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Vrabel expects 2018 first-round linebacker Rashaan Evans to "take some jumps" in his sophomore season, and it's hard to disagree. 

The 2017 All-SEC selection out of Alabama got off to a slow start last year as a result of a summer hamstring injury, but PFF called Evans a "second-half star," noting that his overall grade of 83.4 between Weeks 10 and 17 ranked No. 1 among first-year linebackers. 

"You really have to remember, Rashaan didn't really get to do anything until the season actually started," Titans defensive coordinator Dean Pees said in February, per David Boclair of the Nashville Post. "You watch the film on him and the end, as compared to the beginning, it's night and day."

Now fully healthy, the 23-year-old will enter his second NFL campaign with a full offseason under his belt, which should enable him to do Pro Bowl-level damage in Tennessee. 

"He hasn't disappointed," Jim Wyatt of the team's official website wrote in reference to the offseason Evans has put together. "He's been flying around, looking good.”

Evans enters training camp with at least a slight edge over fellow 2018 first-round linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, who also stood out in the second half of his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills but might need more time to develop.

...Jermaine Whitehead continues to run with the first-team defense
Jake Burns‏ @jake_burns18

Team opens with the expected group in the defensive front-6 then Whitehead in the slot, outside corners Ward and Carrie, and safeties Randall and Burnett. All different sub packages #Browns

8:09 AM - 25 Jul 2019

------------------------------------------

First look at Wilks first unit and, as expected he is running a 4-2 front.

Reports indicate the backfield consists of sub packages of 5 DBs with Whitehead lining up with the 1s in the slot.

Carrie is the starting CB.  Greedy had run with the 1s up to this point.  I would not be shocked if he took the starter job before camp ends but right now TJ. Carrie is lining up with the first team with Denzel on the border with Whitehead in the slot.  

Morgan Burnett is the money  :moneybag: IDP play as the box safety.

Users who are viewing this thread