What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (2 Viewers)

We downloaded the history app from our Roku. We watch the weeks episode two or three days after it has aired. Can’t watch it live but I don’t mid waiting a few days.
I also have the History app but don't pay anything for it.  I just finished streaming season 8.  So are you saying I can watch season 9 now as well or do I need to subscribe to something in order to do so?

I also have the History app but don't pay anything for it.  I just finished streaming season 8.  So are you saying I can watch season 9 now as well or do I need to subscribe to something in order to do so?
As far as I know you can watch season 9 through the history app? I am watching it right now. Was Isidore is locked for a day or so but eventually is unlocked. 

Beef Ravioli said:
Just got caught up in episode 5. To bad on Benji - he was doing so well.

I like this season because they are getting lots of game but this is the other side of it - getting ill. 

Shelters are really turning into some nice places also! 
that guy had more food than he needed... and still, out early. figured he was going to win this thing.

crazy how hard this show is- the people out there are genuinely amazing at what they do. sucks that GI issues (legit) can force a player out.

Beef Ravioli said:
Just got caught up in episode 5. To bad on Benji - he was doing so well.

I like this season because they are getting lots of game but this is the other side of it - getting ill. 

Shelters are really turning into some nice places also! 
Some shelters are perfect.. Others though ... :loco:

One shelter never even close to being done before he tapped.

The one lady is also far from done as they are building mansions.. I get wanting to be comfortable, but she is spending way too much energy for short term living.

Some shelters are perfect.. Others though ... :loco:

One shelter never even close to being done before he tapped.

The one lady is also far from done as they are building mansions.. I get wanting to be comfortable, but she is spending way too much energy for short term living.
I agree…some are rough but I do feel like overall this season is much better than previous seasons. 

Either this crew is better skilled or Labrador has lots more food options. 

I like watching the contestants thrive rather than sitting there starving. 

she's out there with a laser and plumb, getting her studs and joists just right after excavating half the hill-side. I wonder if she'll have to wait for her inspections when she roughs everything. so far it's gorgeous though... just looks about 1/4 done instead of mostly done.

meanwhile, the older lady seems very happy with hers that she banged out in a couple days. I'm sure there will be more to do on it- like insulation. but while it looks ok for now- seems like siting it on the open hill top might bite her in the ### when it gets colder and windier and she's stuck exposed out there.

the guy with Moss house seems to be doing well. Juan Pablo and his chimney seems a little high strung and less able to roll with things to last.

I like watching the contestants thrive rather than sitting there starving.
I kinda agree. I hate it being about a battle of attrition.

but so far this season, seems like people are just Ernie fishing out there ("heeeeeey fishy, fishy, fishy!) and not having to do much to bring in all manner of game. a little balance between the two is good- which I'm sure will be coming as the weather turns.

Oh man, they did me a bamboozle.  I thought the first guy with stomach issues was going to be the one to tap after they showed him talking about how much he loved his family and how blessed he was and all that.  I was surprised to see Benji be the one to tap after that.  I am a fan of both of them and would have loved to see how long they could have made it. 

Pretty bla episode. Good to see the Hodge Podge Lodge completed or nearly completed. If she can get some food, I would like to see how well she can do. 
It’s crazy they haven’t shown her eating anything other then berries for over 30 days.  Winter coming so food procurement is now much harder.

Just wanted to say how much I loved this turn of phrase.

Also, just watched last week's, and no mention of how Juan Carlos isn't boiling his water?  Bold move.
Juan Pablo grew up in Mexico and has done multiple months long wilderness adventures, he's got quite an immunity built up. 

Edit- wasn't he the one who was wearing the surgical gloves out of the first aid kit when cleaning something nasty? The weasel maybe? 

I'm sure I would have been medically tapped if I tried drinking unpurified water. 

I hope the sparks coming off the fire in Hodge Podge aren't prophetic. That shelter looks huge. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Juan Pablo grew up in Mexico and has done multiple months long wilderness adventures, he's got quite an immunity built up. 

Edit- wasn't he the one who was wearing the surgical gloves out of the first aid kit when cleaning something nasty? The weasel maybe? 

I'm sure I would have been medically tapped if I tried drinking unpurified water. 

I hope the sparks coming off the fire in Hodge Podge aren't prophetic. That shelter looks huge. 
I get his reasoning- how much work is involved just to get some water to drink- but daaaaamn, that's rolling the dice in a big way to drink straight out of the river.

JP seems equal parts ready to crack at any moment or last the rest of his life out there. but given his background doing solo stuff as you say, you have to figure he's built to last.

hodge podge lodge is insane. metric tons of lumber up in that joint. doesn't look quite done though- need to fill all the joints in the piled up lumber walls. the place also has a bit of a house of cards look to it... like, if you were to pull out or if that ONE log were to come loose, the whole thing would collapse.

So the two people to get a beaver have had to tap from beaver born sickness, and be medically removed because they used too many resources/time trying to preserve the kill.  Was there a third person who got one?

I like the water collection system on helter skelter house.

So the two people to get a beaver have had to tap from beaver born sickness, and be medically removed because they used too many resources/time trying to preserve the kill.  Was there a third person who got one?

I like the water collection system on helter skelter house.

Just watched this.  Felt awful for Terry, who seemed like such a great guy.  I think those were the only two beavers anyone caught.  (hehe)

I don't know how the older woman who's eating almost nothing but berries hasn't become so skinny as to need med evac.

Just watched this.  Felt awful for Terry, who seemed like such a great guy.  I think those were the only two beavers anyone caught.  (hehe)

I don't know how the older woman who's eating almost nothing but berries hasn't become so skinny as to need med evac.

They're allowed to bring a bunch of food reserves (jerky, hard tack, flower) as part of their 30 items that they never show.  

Food (2 items max)

2 lbs of beef jerky

2 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix

2 lbs of biltong

2 lbs of hard tack military biscuits

2 lbs of chocolate

2 lbs of pemmican

2 lbs of GORP

2 lbs of flour

2/3 lbs rice / 2/3 lb sugar / 2/3 lb of salt

Really not much, but it helps explain.  

I get what you're saying, and thanks for posting the list, but it's been over 40 days, and Terry got so skinny it was scary.  I can't remember, but maybe she started bulked up a bit.

So thankful that Terry was a part of this show. It was a blessing each time he was on. Just grateful that he lasted that long. 

Jokes aside, he seemed like genuinely good dude. Kept things interesting. I thought he was in the driver's seat after the beaver kill. 

that guy had more food than he needed... and still, out early. figured he was going to win this thing.

... GI issues (legit) can force a player out.
I thought beaver fever was something else. 
Both of the guys who got sick from eating Beaver 'seemed' fine until they scraped the fat off of their pelts.  

The first guy processed the carcass and waited too long till he got around to scraping the hide for the last bit of fat, so it 'appeared' like he was careless.

The second guy carefully smoked the meat that he could not get to, and he took the extra step to smoke the hide of the beaver with the fat, so I thought he'd be ok.  I was really surprised that he also got sick.

I recall from a previous season that someone got sick from eating a muskrat, another critter that lives on the water so 'maybe' there is a connection.  :shrug:  

Teimojin has had a couple nice episodes. He's become very introspective in a good way. I think he's the one I'm pulling for, but I like each of the 4 remaining contestants.
I’m surprised at the lack of hunting successes..we are 45 days in and river not frozen .    

I can't remember previously seeing a contestant fall and need to literally be evac'ed from right where he fell. Also don't remember seeing someone miss the checkin call and need the emergency search team dispatched. 

I can't remember previously seeing a contestant fall and need to literally be evac'ed from right where he fell. Also don't remember seeing someone miss the checkin call and need the emergency search team dispatched. 
We’ve never seen a contestant try to walk with 2 feet on a slippery log before.  

I’m surprised at the lack of hunting successes..we are 45 days in and river not frozen .    
Grouse, fish, squirrels...all pretty small stuff. And all are disappearing as winter comes. The only folks who caught something of substance - beavers - got sick and are gone.

Season 7 and/or 8, folks had fishing nets and were pulling in literally 100lbs of fish. Not this time.

Has seems pretty clear for a while nobody is going 100 days. Could be wrong, but I think we only have a few episodes left?

⚡DEADHEAD⚡ said:
Grouse, fish, squirrels...all pretty small stuff. And all are disappearing as winter comes. The only folks who caught something of substance - beavers - got sick and are gone.

Season 7 and/or 8, folks had fishing nets and were pulling in literally 100lbs of fish. Not this time.

Has seems pretty clear for a while nobody is going 100 days. Could be wrong, but I think we only have a few episodes left?
at the same time, I'm trying to remember any previous seasons that had 5 people left 40+ days in.

I was bummed about HodgePodge lady... obviously the house took priority and did her in. but what a freaking shelter! and I figured the guy with the clay fireplace would go far too.

interesting to see the older woman still going strong, with not much shelter or food. I love her. I also hate her songs.

JP not getting a lot of screen time, but seems like he's doing fine- wonder how much longer that dock works- great solution for him to land fish. Teimojin on a roll with the birds. and the guy with the Grouse costume seems in the driver's seat to win this- but who knows.

solid cast this year.

I assume everyone has seen the commercials for "Alone: Frozen" by now.   Looks like it is the same area as the current season with 6 former contestants starting "just as winter starts".  Given that we have only seen a few flurries on the current show, I wonder when this new season started.   I hope this wasn't a fall back option hoping to have someone actually see a polar bear and everyone in the current season gets pulled/quits before winter really sets in.

I assume everyone has seen the commercials for "Alone: Frozen" by now.   Looks like it is the same area as the current season with 6 former contestants starting "just as winter starts".  Given that we have only seen a few flurries on the current show, I wonder when this new season started.   I hope this wasn't a fall back option hoping to have someone actually see a polar bear and everyone in the current season gets pulled/quits before winter really sets in.
I'd imagine they could probably run a second group up there next door to these people so that the groups are concurrent, or at least overlapped. that way your support team is all in one place at pretty much the same time. 

at the same time, I'm trying to remember any previous seasons that had 5 people left 40+ days in.

I was bummed about HodgePodge lady... obviously the house took priority and did her in. but what a freaking shelter! and I figured the guy with the clay fireplace would go far too.

interesting to see the older woman still going strong, with not much shelter or food. I love her. I also hate her songs.

JP not getting a lot of screen time, but seems like he's doing fine- wonder how much longer that dock works- great solution for him to land fish. Teimojin on a roll with the birds. and the guy with the Grouse costume seems in the driver's seat to win this- but who knows.

solid cast this year.

Yeah, all of this.  On average it seems like this crew is lasting a lot longer, given how many made it over 40 days.  I do think the British/Arkansas guy is the favorite at this point, which is a bummer since he's the only one I really do not like.

Nooo Adam, I thought for sure when he saw the grouse in his camp he would harvest it and stay a couple more days.

Juan Pablo taking the minimal effort approach, just starve it out, might work. The previews for next week looked like injuries were possible for the other two.

Edit- the hilltop where Adam called to tap out was filled with potential firewood.

Adam was down 51 pounds so I figured he would be removed after the next med-check.

He knew he was done so I am glad he didn't take out the grouse because it wouldn't have kept him in the contest.

You can’t win actively hunting small game like squirrels.  It’s a negative calorie activity.  This was shaping up as a starvation season as no one getting food.  

You can’t win actively hunting small game like squirrels.  It’s a negative calorie activity.  This was shaping up as a starvation season as no one getting food.  
And it looks like Juan Pablo is ready to ride the starvation train to money town. He's hunkered down, got his bed all cozy and ready to burn the least calories of the remaining three. I hope he doesn't get pulled.

Not a great season IMO (now that I figured out how to watch again).

Looks more and more like it's just a starvation game, and the personalities are meh overall too.

I always wonder why someone doesn't just fish for like 10 straight days when they're pulling them out like a couple folks did this season.  Just put everything on hold and store up as much as they can.  IIRC one of them snagged like 6 or 8 fish in an hour earlier in the season.

Or spend the first three weeks doing nothing but hunting big game, and if you whiff you accept the L and go home.

Both of the guys who got sick from eating Beaver 'seemed' fine until they scraped the fat off of their pelts.  

The first guy processed the carcass and waited too long till he got around to scraping the hide for the last bit of fat, so it 'appeared' like he was careless.

The second guy carefully smoked the meat that he could not get to, and he took the extra step to smoke the hide of the beaver with the fat, so I thought he'd be ok.  I was really surprised that he also got sick.

I recall from a previous season that someone got sick from eating a muskrat, another critter that lives on the water so 'maybe' there is a connection.  :shrug:  
Yeah, giardia is a water bug.

Not a great season IMO (now that I figured out how to watch again).

Looks more and more like it's just a starvation game, and the personalities are meh overall too.

I always wonder why someone doesn't just fish for like 10 straight days when they're pulling them out like a couple folks did this season.  Just put everything on hold and store up as much as they can.  IIRC one of them snagged like 6 or 8 fish in an hour earlier in the season.

Or spend the first three weeks doing nothing but hunting big game, and if you whiff you accept the L and go home.
This season started out good, but went downhill quick once the beaver and fish opportunities dried up.  The people that remain - just not that interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread