What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (1 Viewer)

I was under the impression that this was going to be an amazing season with all the fish and game they were getting early on. I really liked several of the shelters and the strategies the contestants were talking about. Last several episodes have been trending down for me personally. 

Leaning towards the doctor winning but would not be surprised if the Spanish dude wins. His strategy is intriguing. Signing hippy chick has held in longer than I anticipated. 

I was under the impression that this was going to be an amazing season with all the fish and game they were getting early on. I really liked several of the shelters and the strategies the contestants were talking about. Last several episodes have been trending down for me personally. 

Leaning towards the doctor winning but would not be surprised if the Spanish dude wins. His strategy is intriguing. Signing hippy chick has held in longer than I anticipated. 
Sleeping as much as possible seems like a no-brainer for the endgame.   

Goodness, Juan Pablo even has me worried now. I get trying to conserve energy, but no fire. I'm still rooting for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the sides of Juan Pablo's house just the tarp?  He built up the ends pretty good with boughs, but why not add some to the sides if your plan is no fire and no food.  Good thing he put in that dock, it is acting as an ice stop and giving him an easier place to get out water.

When hippie lady was working on her fireplace I was confused why she waited this long, and why she had a large opening next to her fancy door.  Later in the episode she had a wall where she had tried to put the fire place so maybe she tore it down and then put it back up.

How does Kari Ann survive 60 days on berries, a few squirrels and maybe food rations if she choose it and not get pulled by medical...

How does Kari Ann survive 60 days on berries, a few squirrels and maybe food rations if she choose it and not get pulled by medical...
My guess is she has gotten more squirrels than they have shown.  Previous episodes were focused on some of the other people who had to drop, so they didn't show her checking her trap line and getting a squirrel every few days.   Finding a few squirrels isn't as exciting as catching a beaver and trying to smoke it, or making hodge podge shelter.   And since she has made it to the last episode they knew they had a few extra episodes to show her.

Karie Lee

1. Paracord

2. Sleeping bag

3. 2-quart pot

4. Ferro rod

5. Fishing line and hooks

6. Bow and arrows

7. Trapping wire

8. Multitool

9. Ax

10. Emergency rations

Teimojin

1. Sleeping bag

2. Ax

3. Multitool

4. Ferro rod

5. 2-quart pot

6. Bow and arrows

7. Paracord

8. Trapping wire

9. Fishing line and hooks

10. Emergency rations

Juan Pablo

1. Ferro rod

2. Paracord

3. 2-quart pot

4. Ax

5. Fishing line and hooks

6. Saw

7. Bow and arrows

8. Sleeping bag

9. Trapping wire

10. Multitool

My guess is she has gotten more squirrels than they have shown.  Previous episodes were focused on some of the other people who had to drop, so they didn't show her checking her trap line and getting a squirrel every few days.   Finding a few squirrels isn't as exciting as catching a beaver and trying to smoke it, or making hodge podge shelter.   And since she has made it to the last episode they knew they had a few extra episodes to show her.
She also has more body fat to lose than the others. In general, in low exertion survival situations, women can outlast men due to greater fat stores. This occurred during in the Donner party, IIRC.

Her attitude is great as well.

The guy builds the worst shelter, gives up trying to get food and fasts for 10+ days and wins? And top it all he didn't look like he lost nearly as much as you'd expect someone to lose not eating anything... Weird and kind of disappointing year. Onto frozen Alone. :popcorn:

There is a new 30 minute show "Alone: Skills Challenge" or something like that. Looks like it will be 3 former contestants each week doing some challenge created by another former contestant who then judges. The contestants are at their homes, but given a box of tools/supplies they can use. The first one was you have 3 days to build a shelter, it needs a fire place, needs to fit one person, and needs to be 10 degrees warmer than the outside. With people at their homes, there was a vast difference in types and approaches.

The guy builds the worst shelter, gives up trying to get food and fasts for 10+ days and wins? And top it all he didn't look like he lost nearly as much as you'd expect someone to lose not eating anything... Weird and kind of disappointing year. Onto frozen Alone. :popcorn:
On the winning medical check his ribs weren't even showing.

"For. the. First. Time! ... Alone is in the hunting grounds of the world's largest land predator.. the fearsome Polar Bear!"

...and all we get all season are a bunch of people pointing at shadows in the distance and wondering "is that a bear?"

:rolleyes:

So his formula for winning was basically the early Covid strategy. Stay in and do nothing.
No fire for 50 days or whatever is bad ***, but doesn’t make for entertaining TV.

The interesting part of this show has always been the first few days and weeks where we can watch these people build stuff and see how they go about getting everything set up. I would like to see them edit the show so that maybe 75% of the season involves the first couple of weeks or whatever it is where interesting stuff is more likely to happen and then save the last two episodes for the starving time. While I appreciate the tenacity of the final contestants, it makes for crappy TV watching them sleep, stumble and starve. I was FFwd'ing the final episode just to see who won.

Generally I am in the camp of not wanting to see who can survive a starving contest, but this season was still interesting to me, mostly due to Juan Pablo's approach, which had never been attempted before. No boiling water, in fact, no fire whatsoever, so I was invested in seeing whether or not that would pay off. If you think about it, unless there is a very steady food source, you're burning way more net calories trying to secure food than the calories you're getting from actually eating the food, so in that regard, I was intrigued to see what would happen with Juan Pablo. I was also shocked at how he was not complete skin and bones at the end.

Did the second episode of Alone: Frozen air? It is not on my DVR... but that thing has been a jerk recently

I can't remember previously seeing a contestant fall and need to literally be evac'ed from right where he fell. Also don't remember seeing someone miss the checkin call and need the emergency search team dispatched.
We’ve never seen a contestant try to walk with 2 feet on a slippery log before.
that one looked like a purposeful self-destruction
he was just moaning about poor balance and being weak.. thinking about the end of his journey.. then jumps two feet on a wet log, laying on a downslope.

mentally he may have not been able to process what he was doing fully, but it felt a little like "let me get this over with".

The interesting part of this show has always been the first few days and weeks where we can watch these people build stuff and see how they go about getting everything set up. I would like to see them edit the show so that maybe 75% of the season involves the first couple of weeks or whatever it is where interesting stuff is more likely to happen and then save the last two episodes for the starving time. While I appreciate the tenacity of the final contestants, it makes for crappy TV watching them sleep, stumble and starve. I was FFwd'ing the final episode just to see who won.
sums it up for me
each season seems like a repeat.

excepting for the guy that wrassled a musk ox and knifed it to death.

sums it up for me
each season seems like a repeat.

excepting for the guy that wrassled a musk ox and knifed it to death.
I got into this show late and I've been watching two seasons (season 7 and season 9) in parallel. I enjoyed both but noticed a few differences:
Season 7 spent a lot less time on shelter building and strategy. There were 2 outliers in S7 - Roland's rock house and the guy that waited a month to start an ambitious shelter. Even for these, there wasn't time spent much on design on thought process.
Both shows spent a lot of time on introspection in the later shows, which makes sense. People mulling over what's important; the meaning of family etc. I simply found the end contestants of S7 much more interesting/likeable than S9 and was more genuinely curious about the ending of S7 than S9. And it wasn't just a Roland effect; Kielyn, Callie and Amos were all more interesting than S9 final 3.
The fishing or potential fishing in S7 kept things more interesting in the later eps. S9 kind of stalled once all of the food sources dried up.

Did the second episode of Alone: Frozen air? It is not on my DVR... but that thing has been a jerk recently

I don't seem to have it either.
Episode 1 was on 8/11, Episode 2 will be on 8/18.

There was a prologue on 7/29 following the Alone season finale called Before the Freeze.
what did I watch on 8/4? Was that the season 9 finale? I spent a week in the woods since then and am all confused.

I don't seem to have it either.
Episode 1 was on 8/11, Episode 2 will be on 8/18.

There was a prologue on 7/29 following the Alone season finale called Before the Freeze.
what did I watch on 8/4? Was that the season 9 finale? I spent a week in the woods since then and am all confused.
My bad, the prologue was after the penultimate episode of Alone. First episode of Frozen was on 8/11, second on 8/18.

5 days???? Hopefully he learned what's most important in life but still 5 days??? :eek:
None of them are really instilling confidence in me.

Hoping they were just trolling us with 10 minutes of “Dude, where’s my pot?” , ”Gee I thought this canvas would be more waterproof” and the Rube Gold-Bird trap.

I‘m ready for them all to tap right now, and I genuinely really wanted to see them all battle this out to the end going in.

5 days???? Hopefully he learned what's most important in life but still 5 days??? :eek:
None of them are really instilling confidence in me.

Hoping they were just trolling us with 10 minutes of “Dude, where’s my pot?” , ”Gee I thought this canvas would be more waterproof” and the Rube Gold-Bird trap.

I‘m ready for them all to tap right now, and I genuinely really wanted to see them all battle this out to the end going in.
:goodposting:
Yea, last nights episode was either major trolling, or a bunch of people who forgot just how hard it is to be "Alone"...

And the woman that dug up all the clams/mussels.. I have to believe she kept digging.. Sure, she had one nice meal, but that shoreline and water is going to freeze so hopefully she is storing like a squirrel.

On the winning medical check his ribs weren't even showing.
IIRC he said he gained like 60lbs before the show... he had a strategy and implemented it to perfection.

the no boiling water thing was crazy. considering people were dropping from GI issues- JP rock-gutted his way to the win. no energy spent gathering wood or chopping it, or ultimately even hunting at the end. not necessarily the most exciting tv- so I get people's complaints- but give the guy some credit.

Users who are viewing this thread