What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

And Now a Word About Cris Collingsworth (1 Viewer)

No.  Ertz actually took some steps and jumped into end zone.  James caught and turned in the same motion.  2 different plays

no

this

also this
It's an irrelevant distinction.  The catch rules suck and both of those plays have been called catches and non-catches at various points thoughout the last couple of seasons.  "When does he possess the ball" is a bigger mystery than who was on the Grassy Knoll.  This isn't on Collinsworth, it's on Al Reveron and, to a smaller extent, the NFL competition committee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dez caught the ball on the 6, took 3 steps, and lunged for the endzone.

Ertz caught the ball on the 6, took 3 steps, and lunged for the endzone.

Ertz was under a lot better control than Dez was, and his dive looked a lot more intentional than Dez's, but that's not mentioned in the rule anywhere.  It was absolutely within the bounds of where the NFL could have botched it.
I watched the Dez play again. He was falling to the ground the entire time, no matter how many steps he took on the way down. The league has even said if it is clear a receiver is falling, the number of steps doesn't matter and he must maintain possession through the catch after hitting the ground. At no point would he have been considered a runner since he was falling to the ground.

In Ertz's case, he got his feet down, started running, and then dove for the end zone. He was not in the process of securing the catch as he was already considered a runner.

At least that is how I interpret how they ruled those plays.

I watched the Dez play again. He was falling to the ground the entire time, no matter how many steps he took on the way down. The league has even said if it is clear a receiver is falling, the number of steps doesn't matter and he must maintain possession through the catch after hitting the ground. At no point would he have been considered a runner since he was falling to the ground.

In Ertz's case, he got his feet down, started running, and then dove for the end zone. He was not in the process of securing the catch as he was already considered a runner.

I agree, that's how I saw it too, but that doesn't mean that's how the review assistant was necessarily going to see it.  Ertz kind of dove, kind of got tackled.  It's unclear whether or not they would consider that half-tackle part of the process of the catch or not.

ETA: Be sure to watch the Dez catch from the reverse angle.  He appears to have a lot less control than he really did from the live angle.

It's an irrelevant distinction.  The catch rules suck and both of those plays have been called catches and non-catches at various points thoughout the last couple of seasons.  This isn't on Collinsworth, it's on Al Reveron and, to a smaller extent, the NFL competition committee.
I think they were both catches, however, JJ wasnt a "ball carrier", ertz obviously was. The distinction is absolutely relevant, since one implies a catch was already made

Ertz travelled farther than most ppl do for vacation, before he lunged for that endzone.

Stevie Wonder saw it was a TD. 
Dez literally traveld 10 yards from the start of his jump (jumped off the 10 yard line) to the time he hit the ground on the goaline.

I agree, that's how I saw it too, but that doesn't mean that's how the review assistant was necessarily going to see it.  Ertz kind of dove, kind of got tackled.  It's unclear whether or not they would consider that half-tackle part of the process of the catch or not.
The first TD review to me was more questionable. I thought the receiver bobbled the ball and stepped out of bounds by the time he secured possession. They saw it differently. IMO, that one could have gone either way and if called incomplete on the field and challenged, I suspect they would have left it at incomplete.

I interpret it as the receiver bearing up his full body weight.  Dez never stopped his momentum to the ground, he elongated it by his steps, but he was never under balance, supporting his weight.  Ertz had support of his weight and then redirected his path a bit around a tackler who then caused impetus towards the ground. 

None of this, of course, excuses Collinsworth from  being a color commentator on the game and instead becoming an E network correspondent or a TMZ correspondent. If he wants to gush about Timberlake take a different job.  There was a damn good game going on.

Dez literally traveld 10 yards from the start of his jump (jumped off the 10 yard line) to the time he hit the ground on the goaline.
Again, the devil is in the details. Once it is determined that a receiver is in the process of going to the ground, the league has already clarified their position that they don't care if a player takes multiple steps and how far he traveled.

Bryant jumped and was falling down. That much really isn't debatable (at least I don't think it is). How many steps he took to hit the ground doesn't matter in the way the league wants to enforce the catch rule (as currently constituted).

I think they were both catches, however, JJ wasnt a "ball carrier", ertz obviously was. The distinction is absolutely relevant, since one implies a catch was already made
I think they were both catches too.  But until it's more than just Riveron's opinion, it's irrelevant.  Because the rules don't say what is possession and the replay official is the only vote that counts.  The guy can literally decide either way and it's not like there's a rule wording one can go back and argue he violated.

Yeah I think we all agree the catch rules are dumb but Collinsworth seemed pretty sure that Ertz TD was coming back.  I hate both of these teams almost equally and thought Collinsworth had a clear NE bias last night.  I also thought his most ridiculous comment of the night was towards the end of the 3rd quarter he comment how brilliant Schwartz was by matching up Malcom Jenkins on James White.  At that point Brady had close to 400 yards passing and guys like Hogan and Amendola were going nuts.  NE didn't punt.  I wouldn't say anything the Eagles defense did last night was brilliant except for the forced fumble at the end.  Now Doug Pederson and the offense...that's a different story.

Again, the devil is in the details. Once it is determined that a receiver is in the process of going to the ground, the league has already clarified their position that they don't care if a player takes multiple steps and how far he traveled.

Bryant jumped and was falling down. That much really isn't debatable (at least I don't think it is). How many steps he took to hit the ground doesn't matter in the way the league wants to enforce the catch rule (as currently constituted).
I know.  I was responding to Soulfly's quote that Ertz's would obviously be ruled a catch because of the distance he traveled in total.  As you just said, that much is irrelevant if the replay assistant had determined that he was going to the ground as part of the catch.  It didn't look like that's what happened, but it's within the bounds of interpretation for someone to have seen it that way.  It's all subjective.

The first TD review to me was more questionable. I thought the receiver bobbled the ball and stepped out of bounds by the time he secured possession. They saw it differently. IMO, that one could have gone either way and if called incomplete on the field and challenged, I suspect they would have left it at incomplete.
I actually thought they were going to rule that one incomplete.  The Ertz one was more just a worry that they might screw it up.  With the Clement play I'm still not sure it was really a catch.  It looked like he only got one foot down after the "bobble", if in fact it was a bobble.

I can't stand him. I think he might even be worse than Theismann. It's not just the stupid things he says and being frequently wrong, but his tone, delivery, everything.   Not sure if he's made Michaels worse too or if that's just age, but the two of them together is a huge ####fest.

@HankmoodyI fully understand what you mean, I just don't agree that it was really that close, or debatable

CC said a few times that he thought they would reverse it, said he didnt know what a catch was, but then repeatedly said it wasnt one. Hard to listen to for a full game, easily my least favorite

He's an analyst....and I thought is there to bring some of the finer points of play to the football fan.  I don't think he did that at all last night.  

Romo is younger, more entertaining and (IMO) brings WAAAAAAAAAYYYY more to the table for the moderate football fan...while being very accessible for the layman.  

Why is CC so Patriots biased?  It's not the first time he has swapped spit with them.  He  played for the Bengals for crying out loud.  I don't understand.  

I just watched the game again. The second half chode-gurgling Collinsworth did for all things New England really stood out. I didn’t even notice last night because i was barely listening to him, but it was laughable.
Honestly, I thought he gurgled each coach evenly, I remember him gurgling Kelce several times as well.

I'm no CC fan, but I think he was pretty gurgle neutral last night

Honestly, I thought he gurgled each coach evenly, I remember him gurgling Kelce several times as well.

I'm no CC fan, but I think he was pretty gurgle neutral last night
Re-watch it. I didn’t even notice it live but, rewatching it, it was pretty obvious. Especially in the 2nd half. Every single comment was “this is what the Patriots are so good at...” “This is why Matt Patricia is a genius...” “We’ve all seen this movie before, here comes Brady.”

Even when Philly was on offense and making tremendous plays, it was “Huh, curious call to go for it on 4th down, but they executed. Now, here’s where the Patriots have them right where they want them.” I’m not salty or butthurt about it, but it was pretty obvious taint-nuzzling. 

Pretty much what Jesse James did a few weeks prior and the NFL overturned.  Collinsworth was absolutely justified in being mystified.
Not similar plays at all. Jesse James was 2 yards from the end zone, with no one between him and the goal line. Ertz caught the ball on the 6 yard line. The only reason Ertz went to the ground is that he dove over a defender.

I'd have called the James catch a catch, but it's close. The Ertz call was not close.

Ertz play was obviously a TD.  But I would agree with the clement play being overturned.  Clear bobble, second foot out of bounds.  Not sure how people are saying it was such a clear catch.  Wouldn’t have mattered, that defense couldn’t stop a nose bleed last night. 

The Clement TD was questionable at best. He bobbled and then the 2nd foot was out. CC was just as baffled as I was when it wasn't overturned. The Ertz TD was a slam dunk but I had no idea if they would uphold it. 

As for the Dez catch, yes he was falling the whole time, unlike Ertz, but I contend Dez made a football move on his way to the goalline. I know that isn't the rule any more but it should be. If Dez makes that catch anywhere else on the field (and perhaps not near a 1st down marker) he doesn't lunge with the ball like that. His lunge was conscious and required control of the ball to do it. 

The Ertz play was very different from the Dez and Jesse James plays. Those guys never established themselves as runners after gaining control; Ertz did.  Not comparable at all. 

Nothing like the winning touchdown being scored in the Super Bowl and some blowhard (Collinsworth) yapping non-stop about how it wasn't a catch, and being dead wrong. Well done, NBC. 

He took about four steps.  Clear touchdown. Collinsworth was just wrong, but the NFL brought that upon itself with its catch rule and the confusion caused thereby.   

Re-watch it. I didn’t even notice it live but, rewatching it, it was pretty obvious. Especially in the 2nd half. Every single comment was “this is what the Patriots are so good at...” “This is why Matt Patricia is a genius...” “We’ve all seen this movie before, here comes Brady.”

Even when Philly was on offense and making tremendous plays, it was “Huh, curious call to go for it on 4th down, but they executed. Now, here’s where the Patriots have them right where they want them.” I’m not salty or butthurt about it, but it was pretty obvious taint-nuzzling. 
I like CC most of the time, but there are times when every announcer is annoying and needs to shut up. 

As far as him slobbing the PatKnob, based on history of the past several years that CC has been doing this job, they do ALWAYS seem to pull it out.  If you weren't sitting there watching that game thinking the Pats were going to pull it out, somehow, then you haven't been watching football.  I can't blame a guy for trying to "prognosticate" an outcome that we have seen so many times in the past 15 years from that team.  Would he have been better off saying the Eagles were so good at finding a way to win?  based on what?  their 7-9 record from 2016?  The backup QB being Nick Foles?  Oh, I know, it was the awesome Eagles defense constantly stopping the Pats.  Yeah, that's the way he should have gone with it.  Gimme a break, he was putting into words what a majority of people were sitting at home thinking. 

It was over the top, and annoying to a degree, but that's just announcers in general. 

The worst part I thought was how insistent he was on the TDs not being catches when they pretty clearly were. 

This was by far the worst part of the game. The Superbowl is obviously the biggest exposure non-football fans have to the game, and he spent a really long time influencing casual viewers to think that those TD calls were controversial when they really weren't. His insistence that they shouldn't be catches is the only reason a bunch of dumbasses now believe that. Its like they wanted the bad catch rule, which has admittedly been a hot topic for years, to have the spotlight in this game. Which is a really weird look for the NFL. The problem of the awful catch rule wouldn't have even reared its ugly head last night if it hadn't been for Collinsworth's idiocy. So maybe its better for the NFL in the long run that it seems like it was a big deal, because Goodell might actually lead the charge to change it. 

Well, Timberlake would have caught the ball on 4th down. And Timberlake wouldn't have fumbled in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. So I think Chris had a point.

I like CC most of the time, but there are times when every announcer is annoying and needs to shut up. 

As far as him slobbing the PatKnob, based on history of the past several years that CC has been doing this job, they do ALWAYS seem to pull it out.  If you weren't sitting there watching that game thinking the Pats were going to pull it out, somehow, then you haven't been watching football.  I can't blame a guy for trying to "prognosticate" an outcome that we have seen so many times in the past 15 years from that team.  Would he have been better off saying the Eagles were so good at finding a way to win?  based on what?  their 7-9 record from 2016?  The backup QB being Nick Foles?  Oh, I know, it was the awesome Eagles defense constantly stopping the Pats.  Yeah, that's the way he should have gone with it.  Gimme a break, he was putting into words what a majority of people were sitting at home thinking. 

It was over the top, and annoying to a degree, but that's just announcers in general. 
I get what you’re saying, but it was as bad as watching Madden call a Favre game. Even when Favre wasn’t the story, somehow Madden made the story into Favre.

He sure is getting a lot of heat on Twitter and other social media outlets for his bias play-by-play.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
I'm not even a Cowboys fan and that Dez one stills irks me. Dallas was the probably the best team in the NFL that year and they got knocked out by a terrible call.  Hypothetically, if not for that call, how different is Romo's legacy, or Garrett's, or Dez's etc. We'd have never heard of Malcom Butler, Brady/Belichick has 1 fewer ring, and maybe McCarthy is out in Green Bay.
You know the Dez play did not happen in the super bowl, right?

Not to mention that the Dez play would not have won the game.  There were still 3-4 minutes left and Rodgers likely drives the Packers down to win anyway.   No way of knowing for sure, but the narrative that Dallas wins the game if that play stands is just incorrect.  

1 - If you take out the officiating lately, both TD catches are clearly TD's.  Just watch it as a human being that likes football, they are TD's.

2- That said, there is confusion among fans, and apparently announcers, over how the refs are going to call it on any given day.

3 - I don't think the rule itself is necessarily the problem, I agree with other posters, the minute, super zoomed in, 15 minute reviews are.  Give it 30 seconds watching in real time.  If you can't clearly overturn it then, leave it as called.  WR's aren't going to know how to catch anymore - the Clement catch is a good example of that.  Was it a bobble?  Did he catch it and then tuck it - is tucking it into one arm "losing control"?  Too much review and over analyzing it.  We all instinctively know what a catch is.

Considering that the announcers at whom these accusations are levellled all played for teams in the same division as the teams they are allegedly biased against, is this really so unlikely as to be dumb on its face?

I would think, just as a fan, that going from rooting vigorously against a team, year in year out, because every loss helps the team I care about, that it would be hard to instantly switch to objective commentary.  For a player whose livelihood and reputation was invested, it could be harder.  Not impossible, but hard enough for the old preferences to show through at emotional moments.

I'm sure for some athletes, it's all a dispassionate business, but that doesn't seem to be the case for many...
I think we as fans make a mistake when we assume players' loyalties to a team operate the same way as ours. We typically adopt a team as children and remain loyal to them for life. Players are much more transactional, because they know that today's rival may be tomorrow's employer.

Look at James Harrison. He's played most of his career for the Steelers, but has also been on the roster of their three biggest rivals (Ravens, Bengals and Pats). You think when he puts on a Pats uniform, he feels any residual tug for the Steelers?

Or think of it in terms of your own career. Do you feel any residual loyalty to your former employers? Maybe some you do, others you have a bias against, but I bet in most cases it's simply a place you used to work.

Also, when a former player becomes an announcer, their incentives change. I guarantee you Collinsworth -- and Romo, and every other announcer out there -- is far more interested in his bosses at NBC thinking that he called a good game (which he admittedly did not do on Sunday) then he is in who wins. Not only that, but if his boosterism got in the way of his calling a good game, he might find himself out of a job. He need only look at what happened to Phil Simms to know that he is replaceable at any minute.

the pickup on his wiki page is legit

Pro Football Focus

Collinsworth is the owner of Pro Football Focus, a football analytics website that provides comprehensive, detailed information about every player and team in the NFL. Despite owning an advanced analytics research firm, Collinsworth routinely expresses a lack of knowledge of statistics and odds in key situations during football games.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
ProstheticRGK said:
I get what you’re saying, but it was as bad as watching Madden call a Favre game. Even when Favre wasn’t the story, somehow Madden made the story into Favre.
I can see that.  

Collinsworth is the worst announcer. He flip flops on his opinions so extremely during a game. He will single out a player out on 1 play making a mistake, not multiple plays just one, and blame that player for the an entire offence or defense struggling. Then later in the game that player will make an impact play (a tackle for a loss, big block, etc) and all of a sudden that player is “the only reason why they are still in the game”. 

Beyond that he criticizes players for off field stuff and will say that’s why they didn’t make a play. Things like OBJ training a Drakes house or when those receivers went to Miami on their bye. “You have to wonder if that time he spend not training with Eli in the off-season is affecting him now.” Next play is an OBJ TD and it’s all because of whatever he criticized them for. 

It’s flip flopping hyperbole the whole time. And he’s always criticizing. Even on successful plays. “Oh they got lucky on that play” as it’s just a simple dive play that was well executed. Or “That DB needs to cover better.” As it's awesome coverage but a perfect throw and great catch by the WR. 

He drives me nuts. 

I'm generally in favor of quantifying things, but this seems like a dumb effort. On top of all that, I don't think the numbers support his conclusion. According to his own count, overall the comments were more positive toward the Eagles and equally negative between both teams. 

Brady was mentioned at a nearly 2:1 ratio compared to Foles which accelerated in the late stages of the game with Brady receiving mentions 5 times more often than Foles during the last five drives of the game - Brady was mentioned at a 1:2 ratio during Eagles drives whereas Foles was only mentioned a single time during a Patriots drive throughout the game
Hmm, I wonder why that could be? Bias toward Brady or the fact that HE'S TOM FREAKIN' BRADY AND THE OTHER GUY IS NICK FREAKIN' FOLES?!?!?! And maybe the reason Brady was mentioned more often was because we had seen him pull off these late-game heroics so many times, and the main question was whether he could pull it off again.

@zftcg

I see your point yes it's Tom Freaking Brady. 

But on the other hand. When Philly was driving up and down the field on the Pats defense Chris would say "The Pats are a bend but not break defense". 

Or maybe it's because Big **** Nick was ramming it up the Pats a-ss.

@zftcg

I see your point yes it's Tom Freaking Brady. 

But on the other hand. When Philly was driving up and down the field on the Pats defense Chris would say "The Pats are a bend but not break defense". 

Or maybe it's because Big **** Nick was ramming it up the Pats a-ss.
Someone in the comments of that Reddit thread made a really good point: The goal of an announcer is not to achieve perfect balance in describing each team (as if that were even possible in a situation where you're speaking extemporaneously for four hours straight). It's to tell you what's happening during the game accurately and enjoyably. And even if you don't think CC did that, it still doesn't mean he was biased in favor of the Pats. Maybe he was just overinvested in a certain storyline.

zftcg said:
I think we as fans make a mistake when we assume players' loyalties to a team operate the same way as ours. We typically adopt a team as children and remain loyal to them for life. Players are much more transactional, because they know that today's rival may be tomorrow's employer.

Look at James Harrison. He's played most of his career for the Steelers, but has also been on the roster of their three biggest rivals (Ravens, Bengals and Pats). You think when he puts on a Pats uniform, he feels any residual tug for the Steelers?

Or think of it in terms of your own career. Do you feel any residual loyalty to your former employers? Maybe some you do, others you have a bias against, but I bet in most cases it's simply a place you used to work.

Also, when a former player becomes an announcer, their incentives change. I guarantee you Collinsworth -- and Romo, and every other announcer out there -- is far more interested in his bosses at NBC thinking that he called a good game (which he admittedly did not do on Sunday) then he is in who wins. Not only that, but if his boosterism got in the way of his calling a good game, he might find himself out of a job. He need only look at what happened to Phil Simms to know that he is replaceable at any minute.
I get this, and it's true for a lot of players, but I think for the stars, especially ones that stay with a team start to finish, there is a loyalty that builds up.

Aikman, for instance, played his entire Hall of Fame career for the Cowboys.  It's pretty obvious in his commentary that this comes through, and he is favorable towards the Cowboys.  It's less clear that he has an "anti-Redskins" bias as he's accused of - I think that's a misreading of what is actually a pro-Dallas slant.  But it's pretty clear that he is less objective when talking Dallas than anyone else.

Collinsworth was also a one-team player, and early on had some definite pro-Bengals elements to his game.  I think both these guys toned it down and became more objective over time as they got further from the team and more into the broadcast culture.

I really like Collingsworth as an announcer but man did he blow it with the Superbowl. Career suicide stuff.

I really like Collingsworth as an announcer but man did he blow it with the Superbowl. Career suicide stuff.
Easy on the hyperbole.

Matt Lauer committed career suicide, Collinsworth called a game slightly differently than some would have liked. 

Easy on the hyperbole.

Matt Lauer committed career suicide, Collinsworth called a game slightly differently than some would have liked. 
Didn't know the rules, clearly was biased and went against official decisions after the fact. Was wrong on everything. 

The point is everyone seems to be talking about it. Even on Texas sports radio where they have no interest in either team.

I get this, and it's true for a lot of players, but I think for the stars, especially ones that stay with a team start to finish, there is a loyalty that builds up.

Aikman, for instance, played his entire Hall of Fame career for the Cowboys.  It's pretty obvious in his commentary that this comes through, and he is favorable towards the Cowboys.  It's less clear that he has an "anti-Redskins" bias as he's accused of - I think that's a misreading of what is actually a pro-Dallas slant.  But it's pretty clear that he is less objective when talking Dallas than anyone else.

Collinsworth was also a one-team player, and early on had some definite pro-Bengals elements to his game.  I think both these guys toned it down and became more objective over time as they got further from the team and more into the broadcast culture.
I've never noticed this, but then, I'm probably the wrong person to ask about announcers. I just find they tend to fade into the background. Thinking back now on previous Super Bowls, I can remember key moments (Butler INT, Harrison 100yd INT, Helmet Catch) but have no idea who the announcer was.

One thing I can promise you, though: If/when the Lions ever win a Super Bowl -- OK, fine, in the exceedingly unlikely event that they ever win a Super Bowl -- I guarantee you won't see me on here complaining about the announcers. That will be the furthest thing from my mind.

I've never noticed this, but then, I'm probably the wrong person to ask about announcers. I just find they tend to fade into the background. Thinking back now on previous Super Bowls, I can remember key moments (Butler INT, Harrison 100yd INT, Helmet Catch) but have no idea who the announcer was.

One thing I can promise you, though: If/when the Lions ever win a Super Bowl -- OK, fine, in the exceedingly unlikely event that they ever win a Super Bowl -- I guarantee you won't see me on here complaining about the announcers. That will be the furthest thing from my mind.
Of course...but if they LOSE that Bowl you might find a lot to complain about.   :P

Of course...but if they LOSE that Bowl you might find a lot to complain about.   :P
Well, the crazy thing about all these Eagles fans is that they're obsessing over Collinsworth despite having won their first-ever SB.

But I remember the Lions losing that WC game to the Cowboys a few years ago after a DPI flag on a crucial third-down mysteriously disappeared. What sticks in my mind is the refs and that fat f### Chris Christie celebrating in the owner's box. I have no idea who the announcers were.

Users who are viewing this thread