What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Brown returns ?, to what roll? (2 Viewers)

He might be on my bench this week but as of now I am going with Mike James and barely CJ Spiller over him. My flex is up in the air right now between Brown, PT Cruiser and Nicks. If Sproles is out this week I gotta roll Pierre out there over Brown.

The only thing I am worried about is him getting a max of 10 carries then shutting it down, plus they have two battering rams in Hillis and Jacobs to vulture endzone carries.
That is my biggest fear. But wasn't he their goalline back last season?? That's the only thing that has me leaning in his favor; a TD or two can really make for a solid week if he only gets around 10 carries.

I'm no expert on the Giants and have barely seen them play this season so I will defer to someone more familiar with the situation

A couple updates from the twitter:

Paul Schwartz@NYPost_Schwartz6m
Coughlin on what he expects from Andre Brown: "Forty carries and 15 receptions, run the kickoff back. What else would you like?'' #nyg

-------------------------

What can [Andre] Brown do for the Giants defense? Tom Coughlin thinks he knows:

"All I think about is when he played a year ago,'' Coughlin said. "I’m looking forward to the return of that player, quite frankly. Size, speed, catch the ball out of the backfield. Does a good job in pass protection. I think sometimes you forget the guy is 230 pounds. It’s a little bit different dimension.'' #nyg

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-giants/f/573e31f8-2bde-45e2-8e94-ccc30666da65/?source=twitter

40 carries and 15 receptions?!? PLUS the possibility of a return TD?!?!?

Plug him in, boys and girls! :drive:

Coughlin on what he expects from Andre Brown: "Forty carries and 15 receptions, run the kickoff back. What else would you like?'' #nyg

"All I think about is when he played a year ago,'' Coughlin said. "I’m looking forward to the return of that player, quite frankly. Size, speed, catch the ball out of the backfield. Does a good job in pass protection. I think sometimes you forget the guy is 230 pounds. It’s a little bit different dimension.'' #nyg

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-giants/f/573e31f8-2bde-45e2-8e94-ccc30666da65/?source=twitter
Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?
:sarcasm:

Is this a joke?
First quote, yes. Second quote, no.

Making sense of the Giants' current running back situation

By Jordan Raanan/NJ.com (November 06, 2013 at 12:48 PM)

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/11/making_sense_of_the_giants_current_running_back_situation.html

“There will be a set plan,” Coughlin said.

Hillis will be a big part of Sunday’s plan. He played well in his first two games with the Giants, the only two games they’ve won this season. He ran for 106 yards and a touchdown in those games, and proved reliable as a pass blocker.

Hillis is expected to be the primary option with Jacobs and Brown sprinkled into the equation.

Brown said earlier in the week he had a special package of plays. But having not played a game in over two months, Coughlin didn’t appear set to have him carry a heavy workload.

“He’s ready to help,” Coughlin said. “But there is a big difference between game day and practice.”

Coughlin wanted to see Jacobs get through a full practice Wednesday before expressing full confidence in him health-wise. Hamstring injuries are sometimes difficult to overcome.

“Let’s see how he does,” Coughlin warned.

The Giants boss appeared excited about the possibility of Brown’s return, and the role he can play going forward. Brown rushed for 178 yards and three touchdowns in his two starts last season.

“All I think about is how he played a year ago. I’m looking forward to the return of that player, quite frankly,” Coughlin said. “Size, speed, catch the ball out of the backfield. He does a good job in pass protection. Sometimes you forget he’s 230 pounds. So that is a little bit different dimension.”

He is goin to have a limited roll this week. Probably no more than a mini challah roll. But starting next week I expect him to take on a huge roll in that offense, probably the size of a mega challah.

Sounds like Hillis will keep his starting job at least one more week:

Per RW:

NJ.com says Peyton Hillis is expected to be the "primary option" in the Giants backfield Sunday.
In the two games before the bye, Hillis rushed 38 times for 106 yards (2.78 YPC) and caught eight passes for 60 yards. The Giants won both games. It appears that they're set to ease Andre Brown (leg) in slowly as he comes off short-term IR. "He's ready to help," coach Tom Coughlin said of Brown. "But there is a big difference between game day and practice." Brandon Jacobs (hamstring) is also expected to be in the mix. Eventually, we'd expect Brown to rise to the top of this backfield as the only one with any juice in his legs. But for now, expect some kind of committee with Hillis in the lead.

Sounds like Hillis will keep his starting job at least one more week:

Per RW:

NJ.com says Peyton Hillis is expected to be the "primary option" in the Giants backfield Sunday.
In the two games before the bye, Hillis rushed 38 times for 106 yards (2.78 YPC) and caught eight passes for 60 yards. The Giants won both games. It appears that they're set to ease Andre Brown (leg) in slowly as he comes off short-term IR. "He's ready to help," coach Tom Coughlin said of Brown. "But there is a big difference between game day and practice." Brandon Jacobs (hamstring) is also expected to be in the mix. Eventually, we'd expect Brown to rise to the top of this backfield as the only one with any juice in his legs. But for now, expect some kind of committee with Hillis in the lead.
Well with 2.78 YPC, why not? I mean Brown's YPC last season was paltry 5.something...

Darn! I was really looking forward to rolling out Brown this week. Tapping the brakes till week 11 or until this committee gets busted up.

Hmm. not sure what to do here. Have Charles, Bolden and Vereen on the bye, so I either start Andre or could pick up Hillis as he is still out there.

Maybe wait a few more days and see... maybe I should drop Bolden for Hillis now just in case.

Hmm. not sure what to do here. Have Charles, Bolden and Vereen on the bye, so I either start Andre or could pick up Hillis as he is still out there.

Maybe wait a few more days and see... maybe I should drop Bolden for Hillis now just in case.
I'm in similar situation and it's a crapshoot either way. If Brown does well, even if Hillis starts, I can see Brown staying on the field enough to hurt both his and Hillis's value. Only Coughlin knows how Jacobs cuts into this. I wish I had other options, but I may have to roll with one of Hills or Brown as well.

He might be on my bench this week but as of now I am going with Mike James and barely CJ Spiller over him. My flex is up in the air right now between Brown, PT Cruiser and Nicks. If Sproles is out this week I gotta roll Pierre out there over Brown.

The only thing I am worried about is him getting a max of 10 carries then shutting it down, plus they have two battering rams in Hillis and Jacobs to vulture endzone carries.
That is my biggest fear. But wasn't he their goalline back last season?? That's the only thing that has me leaning in his favor; a TD or two can really make for a solid week if he only gets around 10 carries.

I'm no expert on the Giants and have barely seen them play this season so I will defer to someone more familiar with the situation
The Giants kicked 5 field goals and scored 0 TDs last game. That should tell you enough about how well those big guys are doing with goal line carries. As far as someone posted later down about Hillis being the starter... I wouldn't read too much into that. Cox was the starter the first game Hillis played. Whoever is playing better will get more carries. I'll let everyone else decide for themselves if they think Hillis will look better than Brown.

My prediction is he gets 15 touches barring anything crazy happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone seems to forget that Brown is a journeyman RB coming off of 2 broken legs and multiple other injuries.

He's OK but that's it ... he's not going to come in and average 5 yds per carry because he did last year. He may be a slight upgrade over Hillis and Jacobs but there are things that they do better than Brown.

Sitting him this week for Ray Rice and Fred Jackson in one league, and Moreno/Matthews/Rashad Jennings in one other.

Should he break out, then he will be in my lineups next week.

Everyone seems to forget that Brown is a journeyman RB coming off of 2 broken legs and multiple other injuries.

He's OK but that's it ... he's not going to come in and average 5 yds per carry because he did last year. He may be a slight upgrade over Hillis and Jacobs but there are things that they do better than Brown.

Rotoworld take:

Related: Brandon Jacobs, Andre Brown

Source: NJ.com

Sitting him this week for Ray Rice and Fred Jackson in one league, and Moreno/Matthews/Rashad Jennings in one other.

Should he break out, then he will be in my lineups next week.
Agreed. I had initially been thinking of starting him at flex over my "Disappointment Chorus" of Rice, Roddy and Steve Smith. But with this news, I think I have to go Rice.

Truth be told, even if he breaks out he'll have a hard time cracking the lineups of either team where I own him.

He's been battling injuries his whole career and that's why he's bounced around. Hard to work your way up a teams depth chart when you keep getting hurt and never get a chance to prove yourself. You obviously didn't watch him play at all last year if you think he's a slight upgrade over Hillis and Jacobs. Is he a top 5 or even top 10 RB talent wise? No. He's not elite in any single aspect of the game but he's good at all aspects. You're forgetting what year it is if you think he's only a slight upgrade over Hillis and Jacobs.

My take for those of you looking to decide whether to start him or not is to let him sit this week if you can afford it. I think he'll be used more than they are saying, but you never know with hard nosed Coughlin and Gilbride. Brown could get 10+ yards every carry and they'd still give Hillis and Jacobs a fair share of the load. The game plan is the game plan and they refuse to adapt to anything.

Eli is going to be slingin it on Sunday. Only way you see a run game is if they are up in the forth like the Iggles were. I wouldn't start any of the G-men backs this week.

The Giants badly need a run game, if it works with Brown in the game, even considering how hardheaded Coughlin is, as someone else pointed out, then I think he stays in the game.

What cracks me up about Hillis as a "starter" is heck he basically just got there. Brown has been with the team a long time, rehabbed hard and well and now he's back. If Brown helps them win he will be in there, running the ball will help the pass game no matter what.

Look at the Steelers with Bell - they have used him, bad line and all, especially on the goal line. The Giants need effectiveness here, they aren't just going to plow Hillis at the backs of linemen out of either loyalty or gameplan.

It's just a question of if Brown actually does it when he gets in there, have to wait a week before starting him on FF rosters to see that. I think the idea is to have him on your roster in the event he does break out or even get the good portion of the carries before everyone else in your league says oh snap and rushes to pick him up.

It always amazes me how certain fantasy football owners are that this guy is done or that guy has more talent, even when the coaches tell you exactly what they plan to do. Is hillis going to play much? Who knows. He looked bad in his first half, better in the second half, and decent in his second game. Now he has a bye week under his belt and the coaches say he's the starter. Its easy to say that he sucks, but the guy was on the cover of madden a couple years ago for a reason. He can block, catch, and he can pound the ball. He isn't great, but he's solid.

What pedigree does brown have again? He had 854 yards and 8 tds last year. He's been hurt a lot so those are his only career stats. What's the knock on hillis again? He had 1654 yards and 13 tds three years ago, then threatened to hold out and allegedly faked an injury whiile waiting for the browns to pay him. They dumped him and took trent richardson instead. Oops. So then kansas city takes him, and he doesn't play ahead of jamaal charles. Hard to be too critical of that. And then this year, he doesn't supplant doug martin, and the rb market is overstocked with decent guys. But he came in and produced, and now his team is calling him their starter. I don't doubt that brown can overtake him, if he can stay healthy. But the idea that hillis is just some temporary placeholder is shortsighted. He could very well earn the job outright. I

ts criminal how many waiver wires he is sitting on. These are the kinds of late season gambles you take to try to get that hot running back at the end of the year. If you can get brown, get him. Same with hillis. They're lottery tickets in a short second half of the season.

bostonfred said:
It always amazes me how certain fantasy football owners are that this guy is done or that guy has more talent, even when the coaches tell you exactly what they plan to do. Is hillis going to play much? Who knows. He looked bad in his first half, better in the second half, and decent in his second game. Now he has a bye week under his belt and the coaches say he's the starter. Its easy to say that he sucks, but the guy was on the cover of madden a couple years ago for a reason. He can block, catch, and he can pound the ball. He isn't great, but he's solid.

What pedigree does brown have again? He had 854 yards and 8 tds last year. He's been hurt a lot so those are his only career stats. What's the knock on hillis again? He had 1654 yards and 13 tds three years ago, then threatened to hold out and allegedly faked an injury whiile waiting for the browns to pay him. They dumped him and took trent richardson instead. Oops. So then kansas city takes him, and he doesn't play ahead of jamaal charles. Hard to be too critical of that. And then this year, he doesn't supplant doug martin, and the rb market is overstocked with decent guys. But he came in and produced, and now his team is calling him their starter. I don't doubt that brown can overtake him, if he can stay healthy. But the idea that hillis is just some temporary placeholder is shortsighted. He could very well earn the job outright. I

ts criminal how many waiver wires he is sitting on. These are the kinds of late season gambles you take to try to get that hot running back at the end of the year. If you can get brown, get him. Same with hillis. They're lottery tickets in a short second half of the season.
I don't disagree with a lot of your thoughts, but Coughlin is smart and experienced enough not to telegraph what exactly he'll be doing with the run game.

It's really a few local papers, not Coughlin, that says Hillis will get the bulk of work this week. Maybe, maybe not, but it won't be clear until the flow of the game.

Coughlin does seem to be happy with what Jacobs and Hillis have done, especially since the team has won. But Brown does appear to be the most versatile of the bunch, and that has to weigh in Coughlin's mind as well.

From the article that assumes that Hillis will remain the starter:

“All I think about is how he played a year ago. I’m looking forward to the return of that player, quite frankly,” Coughlin said. “Size, speed, catch the ball out of the backfield. He does a good job in pass protection. Sometimes you forget he’s 230 pounds. So that is a little bit different dimension.”
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/11/making_sense_of_the_giants_current_running_back_situation.html

“A healthy Andre Brown that’s playing well will be a significant contribution to our offense,” offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. “It looks like he’s physically running pretty well. You can still see that he’s got to make a few of the things that happened very naturally, right now are not happening as natural as usual; his reads, his awareness of some of the things that are going on. But you can see him. He’s a good football player. When he’s healthy, he helps us. He can run. He’s big enough to block. He catches the ball well. He’s an all-around guy that would…certainly his absence hurt us early on. So how far along and how much we can ask of him this week…it’s not going to be like the previous two weeks, we get a guy in and you’re playing 60 snaps. So he doesn’t have to do that, which is a great thing for us. We can share the load a little bit, but we’ll have a package for all of them.”

I firmly believe Brown will get limited touches this week, and they'll ride Hillis one more week. They ran Jacobs into the ground early on, and he hasn't been the same since. Brown is obviously in better shape than Jacob was at that point, but I think the Giants will build a good lead in this one and that will allow them to not overwork Brown.

Went with Durham over Brown at flex this week. Probably starting Hillis over lawfirm in another league.

Rotoworld:

Andre Brown (leg) is active for Week 10 against the Raiders.
Peyton Hillis is officially getting the start in place of Brandon Jacobs, but ESPN's Dan Graziano reports that "doesn't necessarily mean" he'll lead the Giants' backfield in touches. We'd expect a decent workload for Brown in his 2013 debut, but he's not yet a viable fantasy option. That could change as soon as Week 11.

Looks like Coughlin is going to ride Brown after all. Hillis's fumble probably helped that cause.

ETA: Brown looking good, too.

Rotoworld:

Andre Brown rushed 30 times for 115 yards and a touchdown in New York's Week 10 win over the Raiders, adding one catch for four yards.
And so ends the Brandon Jacobs/Peyton Hillis "era" in New York. Brown got the start — despite Hillis being listed as the starter — but rotated with Hillis for the first two series. That ended after Hillis committed a comically soft fumble, however. Brown out-touched Hillis 29-4 thereafter, erasing any doubt that he'll be the Giants' new lead back going forward. Brown is low on special qualities, but looks like Barry Sanders compared to Hillis, who boasts almost sub-fullback athleticism at this point in his career. Jacobs' body is breaking down. Brown will be an RB2/FLEX for Week 11 against the Packers.

Related: Brandon Jacobs, Peyton Hillis

Question for owners who may be in a similar situation as me (thrilled to have him, but also not sure if he'll crack your post-bye lineup): What do you think is decent trade value?

I offered him to a RB-desperate owner a few days ago straight-up for Victor Cruz and never even got a response (truth be told, I never thought it would be accepted; it was mostly just a counter to his ridiculous offer of Marvin Jones for Reggie Bush). Suddenly, I'm wondering if that would even be a good trade for me. After all, Cruz hasn't put up decent numbers since September. Meanwhile, Brown has the look of a high-end RB2/low-end RB1 with a fairly decent schedule coming up (the one "scary" matchup, Week 15 vs Seattle, isn't looking so scary after what James/Stacy did to the Seahawks).

Thinking of offering him for (in order of preference) Josh Gordon, Alshon Jeffery, or Marvin Jones. What are some other good comps?

It'd take Gordon or Jeffrey for me to deal him. He's one of the few everydown RBs league wide. Who knows how long he'll last, but at least their are only 6 more fantasy weeks remaining. He's got a nice looking schedule too.

Started him this week because Charles was on a bye and had no other options. Really pleased.

He is now going to take over my RB2 spot for Spiller.

Question for owners who may be in a similar situation as me (thrilled to have him, but also not sure if he'll crack your post-bye lineup): What do you think is decent trade value?

I offered him to a RB-desperate owner a few days ago straight-up for Victor Cruz and never even got a response (truth be told, I never thought it would be accepted; it was mostly just a counter to his ridiculous offer of Marvin Jones for Reggie Bush). Suddenly, I'm wondering if that would even be a good trade for me. After all, Cruz hasn't put up decent numbers since September. Meanwhile, Brown has the look of a high-end RB2/low-end RB1 with a fairly decent schedule coming up (the one "scary" matchup, Week 15 vs Seattle, isn't looking so scary after what James/Stacy did to the Seahawks).

Thinking of offering him for (in order of preference) Josh Gordon, Alshon Jeffery, or Marvin Jones. What are some other good comps?
Funny, I was offering him for Cruz this week too, also knew it would be rejected. And I sensed I would be glad it was rejected. People often don't see "the value."

I thought I was being generous.

Now, Andre will be pulling up a chair in the flex spot moving forward and I wouldn't trade him for almost anybody.

Giants are getting on a role, a New York Lower East Side Kaiser role slathered with schmear and lox.

Users who are viewing this thread