What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson. (2 Viewers)

Ellington goes down on first contact too often, lacks the size to be an effective blocker, and while he has good vision to find lanes of traffic, I cannot imagine Ellington being used much as an inside runner even if Mendenhall misses time, with Stepfan Taylor sitting on the bench.

All of that said, I am a big fan of Ellington. I think he is a quality back who can excel in a receiving back role, and I was very encouraged to see the Cards putting Ellington in the game in the fourth quarter.
Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this but he seems to be lacking a 2nd gear, at least in that video. Even though he looks quick and has good burst, DBs were catching him from behind quite often.

I'm pissed I missed out on him in my big money league tonight though. I got outbid by 4%. :sadbanana:

Already done, but now I have a logjam at crappy longshot RB bets. Ellginton, McGahee, and Bell. I don't know if I can afford to carry all three.

So what is the knock on Ellginton? He came from a great offensive system in Clemson that likes to run the ball, looks good on film but does not appear to have breakaway speed.

Is he better than Mendy? Cause I don't think this team is all the committed to Mendy, and if Ellington performs well he could keep Mendy on the bench IF the coaching staff is not married to Mendy.

Any AZ homers with some insight?

Not an AZ homer, but have seen enough of Mendenhall to know that he will eventually miss time and leave the door open for Ellington.

Already done, but now I have a logjam at crappy longshot RB bets. Ellginton, McGahee, and Bell. I don't know if I can afford to carry all three.

So what is the knock on Ellginton? He came from a great offensive system in Clemson that likes to run the ball, looks good on film but does not appear to have breakaway speed.

Is he better than Mendy? Cause I don't think this team is all the committed to Mendy, and if Ellington performs well he could keep Mendy on the bench IF the coaching staff is not married to Mendy.

Any AZ homers with some insight?
This isn't really true. Clemson is a passing focused team and never really leaned on Ellington or the running game.

I remember a couple of matchups where he was getting big chunks on the ground yet they went away from the run. Thankfully, a lot of those were against the Gamecocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a thin time for RB on waivers at the moment, he looks as good a flier as any. It's not inconceivable that his role will continue to grow, even if Mendenhall stays on the field.
Well stated. In fact, I think Ellington's role is likely to grow.
Can't make up my mind about Ellington over Allen yet in dynasty ...wait and see if Mendenhall practices tomorrow or not...
In Dynasty i would not drop K.Allen. Without his PCL, he might have been the top prospect in this draft. Ellington is a small scat back, in a crowded backfield, on a team with a horrible OL, with a coach who doesn't throw to the RBs.

I am intrigued by him, but seems like a huge long shot to do more than Larod Stevens Howling did (periodic big play, hard to predict). Maybe few catches a game?

With all the attention on Ellington (and rightly so), are we missing the boat with Stepfan Taylor? It is hard not to like the excitement Ellington brings to the team, and Taylor is more ho-hum, but if Mendenhall misses time, I have to believe Taylor factors into the RB equation in Arizona; he is a more complete back, better at pass protection, and while he may not wow you with the electric moves of Ellington, he is more likely than Ellington to be used around the goal line.

With all the attention on Ellington (and rightly so), are we missing the boat with Stepfan Taylor? It is hard not to like the excitement Ellington brings to the team, and Taylor is more ho-hum, but if Mendenhall misses time, I have to believe Taylor factors into the RB equation in Arizona; he is a more complete back, better at pass protection, and while he may not wow you with the electric moves of Ellington, he is more likely than Ellington to be used around the goal line.
This is true, Taylor's skill set is closer to Mendy's but I'm assuming he wouldn't get the same amount of touches regardless. I could see him capping Elington's upside in the event that Mendy missed time but that's the only fantasy impact I'm worrying about.

When asked if he saw Ellington developing into the teams third down back, Arians said he could develop into an every-down back. So Ellington appears to have the support of the coach right now, which would give him a leg up over Taylor.

He's 5'9" 199 and runs a 4.6, so not especially fast or big. Also says he has problems in pass pro which might severely limit his upside if he has not improved in that area since the draft.

At very least a good hold until Sunday when we see if Mendy is really hurt or just resting.

Taylor could indeed be a factor if Mendy goes down, but Arians seems to think that Ellington can carry the load:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=8388&line=269899&spln=1

monk said:
Ellington's time may be here. Mendy did't practice today:

Rashard Mendenhall (toe) did not practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Mendenhall; he battled hamstring and knee issues the first two weeks of the season. He was limited to riding the stationary bike on the sidelines Wednesday. Mendenhall's status is up in the air for Sunday
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4652/rashard-mendenhall
A lot of players rest on Wednesdays
True. But more players who are hurting rest on Wednesdays than those who are healthy. So Mendenhall "resting" can't be a bad sign for Ellington owners.

He's 5'9" 199 and runs a 4.6, so not especially fast or big. Also says he has problems in pass pro which might severely limit his upside if he has not improved in that area since the draft.
He's not a 4.6 back! He pulled up at the end of that 40 at the combine. He's a 4.4 back, and if you watch his TD last week, it's pretty apparent that he's a 4.4 back.

He's not a 4.6 back! He pulled up at the end of that 40 at the combine. He's a 4.4 back, and if you watch his TD last week, it's pretty apparent that he's a 4.4 back.
Would you drop Vereen for this guy?

Sig, I remember you saying on the audible that you liked Ellington best over Taylor and Williams. Can you expound on what you see and why you think he's better than those two for AZ?

monk said:
Ellington's time may be here. Mendy did't practice today:

Rashard Mendenhall (toe) did not practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Mendenhall; he battled hamstring and knee issues the first two weeks of the season. He was limited to riding the stationary bike on the sidelines Wednesday. Mendenhall's status is up in the air for Sunday
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4652/rashard-mendenhall
A lot of players rest on Wednesdays
how many rest thursdays?

damn, mendenhall must be lazy

Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Cardinals
Both the Arizona Republic and AzCardinals.com believe Rashard Mendenhall (toe) could play on Sunday without practicing this week.
The Cards have maintained radio silence on Mendenhall's status, which usually isn't a good thing. Arizona would go with a committee against the Saints were Mendenhall to sit, with Andre Ellington likely to be the chairman. He'd be little more than a desperation FLEX play for fantasy purposes.

Given how much people are struggling at RB, I think he'd be a little better than a desperation play, especially if Fitz is out.

Dropped my newly picked up Clay for him (have Cameron anyway). I'm willing to see how it goes. Mendenhall is nothing special anymore.

I picked him up this morning and was looking for a thread to bump but couldn't find this one. I think he's worth an add in PPR if you are hurting at RB like me (Joique Bell{My RB1 now LOL}/Ridley/Lacy/Bradshaw)

I found this while digging into him a little more, its mostly speculation but some info none the less...sounds like he has the 3rd down back job locked up at least.

http://fansided.com/2013/09/16/arizona-cardinals-head-coach-suggests-running-back-andre-ellington-can-carry-load/

Mendy missed practice again today so....the door could be opening.

I will probably start him this week regardless of if Mendy plays or not since it seems like he will be involved in the passing game YOLO.

I think he runs faster on the field than his 40 indicates. His burst is recognizable. His top-speed is limited but he flys in space.
Great minds think alike. If y'all think Bloom is the bees knees, you need to start listening to me too. ;)

If Mendy is already showing signs of not making it through the season after 2 games, chances are Ellington will get his chance soon enough.

Already showing signs??

You realize countless players are hurt and missed practice during the week.

Talk about hoping for failure

Already showing signs??

You realize Mendenhall was dealing with looseness in his knee, a subsequent hamstring injury and now a toe injury. It's week 3. What is your definition of "signs"?

I'm not talking about hoping for failure, but he missed 2 practices and reports were that he may not be able to go. Maybe they were blowing smoke, I don't know. Ellington may still be carving out a role here, we'll see what happens this weekend.

Edit: and they listed his as questionable.

Dave Richard ‏@daverichard 2m

RT @mikejurecki BA said Rashard Mendenhall (toe) will be questionable for Sundays game vs. Saints.

Ellington is a stash regardless of whether Mendy plays this weekend. He is more talented than his 6th round pick would indicate and seems poised for a growing role in their offense.

Even with Mendenhall playing I'm starting Ellington over Ridley in my PPR league this week.

I think the kid can produce regardless.

Already showing signs??

You realize Mendenhall was dealing with looseness in his knee, a subsequent hamstring injury and now a toe injury. It's week 3. What is your definition of "signs"?
yeah, I'm wondering if toe injury is turf toe.

also, if ellington is a passing down back, shouldn't that be a pretty good role to have playing the saints at new orleans?

I mentioned this in another thread, but the thing I liked most about Ellington in college is his balance after contact. I saw on more than one occasion where he was hit and falling to the ground and put his hand on the ground to stay upright and continue the play. He can also catch the ball well. I'd love to see him get more involved. I expected him to be taken earlier than he did in the draft. I remember him sustaining a hammy injury during the 40 yard dash at the combine which likely didn't help his draft status (and time).

Already showing signs??

yeah, I'm wondering if toe injury is turf toe.

also, if ellington is a passing down back, shouldn't that be a pretty good role to have playing the saints at new orleans?
This is my exact line of thinking for him this week.

just wanted to add that mendy only got in limited practice friday and is questionable. this is one of the first games so if mendy doesnt play you will know before any games start.

"Mendenhall’s injury isn’t a turf toe, Arians said (Mendenhall suffered it during the game and played with it, Arians said). Arians said he didn’t remember the name of what exactly Mendenhall had, and even though it isn’t turf toe, “it’s damn close,” Arians said with a chuckle."

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/09/20/fitz-mendenhall-questionable-but-should-play/

Okay, Mendenhall is active today on the road against the Saints. Who among you who are desperate at rb are going to nonetheless roll the dice with Andre Ellington? If you are taking a chance on him, who would you sit for him? I am thinking about starting him over Danny Woodhead.

I am desperate enough at RB, but thinking about just using Cecil Shorts and going with 4 WR/TEs. Starting Marlon Brown too....

So pissed I didn't get this guy in my main league.

Got laughed at offering E. Sanders. Floated Bowe. Not sure if I'd really offer that, but the Ellington owner said he wouldn't take it. Hopefully Mendy puts one in the EZ and Ellington has a slow week.

One of the Vegas books has Saints -7 with o/u of 48.5. Indicating a high scoring affair. Maybe Ellington gets more touches on passing downs.

I'm benching B. Powell and Ivory this week for Ellington. I'll admit it's a huge reach, but the scoring system in this league awards bonus points for length of TD and double pts. for RB's receiving/throwing TD's. For instance, a 40 yd TD rec. would be 24 pts. So I'm swinging for the fences and hoping Andre does a good Sproles impression.

Users who are viewing this thread