What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson. (3 Viewers)

I'm just hoping his offensive snaps double again. 8 -> 18 -> 36ish.
Those are his snap counts each week? Pretty impressive yield there.
The last one is what I'm hoping for this week. I like trends.
Any update on his snap count this past Sunday?
Yeah. I also forgot to include percentage which is obviously more important than the actual number.

Week 1: 8 (11%)

Week 2: 18 (25%)

Week 3: 27 (46%)

He also tied for the team lead with 6 targets last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just hoping his offensive snaps double again. 8 -> 18 -> 36ish.
Those are his snap counts each week? Pretty impressive yield there.
The last one is what I'm hoping for this week. I like trends.
Any update on his snap count this past Sunday?
Yeah. I also forgot to include percentage which is obviously more important than the actual number.

Week 1: 8 (11%)

Week 2: 18 (25%)

Week 3: 27 (46%)

He also tied for the team lead with 6 targets last week.
Nice work. Thanks SameSongNDance

I watched every snap of the AZ vs. NO game and I'm now actually leaning towards dropping Mendenhall for him (12 team lg). I know Mendy was nursing the injury and had missed practice but Ellington just looks much better, and Mendy looks like a plodder. Given Ellington's snap count increases the past 3 weeks and seeing Mendy come in for 2 snaps at a time only indicates to me that Ellington will take over as lead back sooner rather than later. I'm trying to decide if he's worth a top 5 waiver pick up this week or if I can wait and grab him off FA after waivers roll.

I'm just curious if the increase in playing time wasn't more a result of being behind the whole game and Ellington's role in the passing situations.

Its curious that Smith got the TD and Ellington was lead blocker. Is Smith more of a threat to take over as primary runner for Mendy keeping Ellington relegated to a situational back?

I've already bought into Ellington and am really hoping he can turn into something more than a RB4 this year.

I'm just curious if the increase in playing time wasn't more a result of being behind the whole game and Ellington's role in the passing situations.

Its curious that Smith got the TD and Ellington was lead blocker. Is Smith more of a threat to take over as primary runner for Mendy keeping Ellington relegated to a situational back?

I've already bought into Ellington and am really hoping he can turn into something more than a RB4 this year.
i think the fact that they were behind probably played into it and gave Ellington more snaps, but from a PPR perspective that's a great thing. I also doubt he would be used as a lead blocker too many more times in the future - I'm not sure what was going on there to be honest. The most encouraging thing is that they are finding ways to use him around the formation, giving him value touches, playing to his strengths. His snap counts are steadily increasing and it's clear that the coaching staff really values what he can do. I do think it would probably take a Mendenhall injury this season to make him startable, but even in his limited role right now, you could use him in a pinch at flex or for a bye week. And his involvement may even increase from here. I'm cautiously optimistic that he will be one of the best waiver wire adds of the year by the end of the season. A Sproles type of role isn't out of the question here, even if Mendenhall stays healthy.

Per FBG email:

ARI - Bruce Arians not happy with offense

Source: AZCardinals.com - Darren Urban

Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians called his offense 'putrid' in their Week 4 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Arians is shocked at how long it has taken his team to pick up the offensive playbook. 'I haven't seen it take this long ever,' he said. Arizona has converted just two of 21 third downs in their two victories this year. The issues have been linked to dropped passes, bad throws, poor protection and poorly run routes.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We could see some shake ups in the Cardinals offense if they don't get things worked out. One move we're hoping for is an increased role for rookie RB Andre Ellington. He makes plays when he's on the field and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

Did not see this on Rotoworld, so this could be flying under the radar. Is it time to get serious and find roster room to stash this guy? Anyone who has seen the games - can you attest that Ellington looks good and Mendy and the other guy don't?

Per FBG email:

ARI - Bruce Arians not happy with offense

Source: AZCardinals.com - Darren Urban

Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians called his offense 'putrid' in their Week 4 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Arians is shocked at how long it has taken his team to pick up the offensive playbook. 'I haven't seen it take this long ever,' he said. Arizona has converted just two of 21 third downs in their two victories this year. The issues have been linked to dropped passes, bad throws, poor protection and poorly run routes.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We could see some shake ups in the Cardinals offense if they don't get things worked out. One move we're hoping for is an increased role for rookie RB Andre Ellington. He makes plays when he's on the field and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

Did not see this on Rotoworld, so this could be flying under the radar. Is it time to get serious and find roster room to stash this guy? Anyone who has seen the games - can you attest that Ellington looks good and Mendy and the other guy don't?
I've watched a couple of games. Ellington looks like lightning in a bottle. But he's all or nothing. His rush attempts will go something like 2,2,3,25,1. Any Cardinals homers have insight into his pass blocking? Could that be holding him back from more time?

Bought him cheap after week 2 in a 12 team redraft, .5 PPR. Minimum blind bid where there is no waiver wire. I've owned Mendy before, & have been counting on him giving way to someone. With the JAG vibes I'm getting from the other RBs on the AZ roster, I figure Ellington is the only chance for a home run

Would certainly add him if you can, especially in PPR. He was rostered in my dynasty league already, but I now have him in a couple of redrafts. FWIW I dropped Pierre Thomas for him.

I think its time to buy.

Kent Somers is a trusted source in AZ reporting so may want to follow him on Twitter.

Yeah, sure..updates..

Ellington actually saw his lowest snap count (20%) last week and Mendy saw his highest (66%). Smith was a non-factor, seeing his lowest (3%).

That being said, Ellington did have his highest utilization total (10) of the year which is likely the most important statistic.

Playing time aside, Smith became a non-factor and Mendy fumbled twice and dropped a pass amongst other things. All the while, Ellginton's usage has been trending upwards. Good signs, good signs.

EDIT: Ellington saw 11% of the snaps week 1 so last week wasn't his lowest snap count percentage.

I don't understand how the comments of "dropped passes, bad throws, poorly run routes and bad protection" = time to check out a new RB. All of those complaints seem to be in regards to the passing game. Don't get me wrong - Mendenhall and his 3.4 YPC is quite obviously doing a poor job himself, but the commentary doesn't seem to matchup with the complaint.

On the other side of the coin, Ellington does seem to be doing well for himself when actually given the opportunity. The question is, how long will Arians support Mendenhall, whom he basically was calling the unquestioned starter from virtually day 1 - and who he seems to want to feed the ball to?

Can he be an every down back, a darren sproels, or do we think just a 3rd down kind of guy?
Arians seems to believe that Ellington can be a three down back. He's clearly a bit undersized (not your prototypical between the tackles runner) but he also doesn't look like a COP back to me either. To me personally, he comes off as a Jamaal Charles type lacking a 2nd gear.

Got him in a couple leagues, but I've been trying desperately to get him in my main league for the last 2 weeks, and just can't without giving up a very valuable asset. MJD and Bowe offers got laughed at.

I used to call'em scat backs, but these are the sort of guys that win leagues now.

Undersized, explosive guys that can catch and have one or more bigger backs in front of them. Worst case scenario is they go catch 4-5 passes and outperform 75% of starters. Then one day the coach gets wise and decides to put the ball in his hands 20 times a game, and you've got a 1st round pick.

Tried to deal for him in my dynasty league, but no luck. Have him in a few redrafts - I think he's going to get much more involved real soon.

Blew a lot of my budget on waivers today, grabbed Woods ($17), Jeffery ($15) and Ellington ($6). Figured anyone paying attention would throw a few bucks at Ellington but I was the only bidder. I don't think anyone in the league is a FBG.

Just stands to reason that the guy making the plays will continue to earn more reps and hopefully take over at some point.

I think he is worth rostering IF you realize it may be several weeks before you have a playable RB (unless you have horrendous bye/injury problems in a PPR league) - Cardinals next four games are VERY tough - Carolina; @49ers; and SEA. Then they get the Falcons at home in Week 8 which would be fine and are on Bye in Week 9.

Picked him up several weeks ago in FBGPC and FFWC leagues and one other redraft league.

Long gone in keeper/dynasty leagues

Had him 2 weeks ago but dropped him for more immediate needs. With the tough run defenses coming up the next 4 weeks, he'll probably be available in a few weeks after others drop him thinking he didn't pan out.

I think he is worth rostering IF you realize it may be several weeks before you have a playable RB (unless you have horrendous bye/injury problems in a PPR league) - Cardinals next four games are VERY tough - Carolina; @49ers; and SEA. Then they get the Falcons at home in Week 8 which would be fine and are on Bye in Week 9.

Picked him up several weeks ago in FBGPC and FFWC leagues and one other redraft league.

Long gone in keeper/dynasty leagues
Which is why I'm thinking Ellington is a better 2nd half of the season option. @49ers and vsSea, should put some distance between the Cardinals and their playoff hopes. Further removed from contention the Cards become = probably more opportunity for Ellington.

Had him 2 weeks ago but dropped him for more immediate needs. With the tough run defenses coming up the next 4 weeks, he'll probably be available in a few weeks after others drop him thinking he didn't pan out.
Careful with this line of thought. With Ellington's style, he could post monster stats against any given opponent. Even with a poor matchup, it only takes one or two plays for you to be priced out of being able to roster him. But if you have more immediate needs, I guess that's the chance you have to take.

I'm thinking if dropping micheal Christine for Ellington? Smart move?

My Rbs

Spiller

Wilson

Moreno

Bell

Christine

Do I drop any of these guys for Ellington?

My Rbs

Spiller

Wilson

Moreno

Bell

Christine

My Rbs

Spiller

Wilson

Moreno

Bell

Christine

i'd drop Christine for him in a heartbeat. I think he's a week or two from being the starter. One more dud from Mendy and he's done IMO. He was already put on notice last week and it's not like they have some long time allegance to him.

He was already put on notice last week and it's not like they have some long time allegance to him.
I think there is a small allegiance to him being that Arians was his OC in Pittsburgh for a few years, and wanted him in AZ. He did give him a heads up that he needs to do better, and I do think Arians will make a change if Mendenhall doesn't improve. I think it will be hard for any RB to run behind that line, but Mendenhall made some mistakes that veteran RBs shouldn't be making.

He was already put on notice last week and it's not like they have some long time allegance to him.
I think there is a small allegiance to him being that Arians was his OC in Pittsburgh for a few years, and wanted him in AZ. He did give him a heads up that he needs to do better, and I do think Arians will make a change if Mendenhall doesn't improve. I think it will be hard for any RB to run behind that line, but Mendenhall made some mistakes that veteran RBs shouldn't be making.
agreed that there is a relationship there but if a guy is fumbling, and running for a couple ypc less and making mental mistakes like running out of bounds when you are trying to kill the clock your rope is going to get shorter and shorter. I think if Ellington goes out again this weekend and again shows a lot more explosion and playmaking ability we may have a changing of the guard. Now I don't think there's necessarily tremendous upside but who knows....always better to have a starter than not. Also, he's a young guy and for keeper/dyno leagues, etc. he may end up carving out a role for himself in the longer term.

Trading Brown and the comments overtly made about Mendy could signal a change in AZ IMO.

Yes it's a keeper league. That's why I'm having a such a hard time deciding, if it was just this year then Christine wouldn't even be on my team but its a 4 year keeper league. I realllllly want Ellington. What I was thinking was IR spiller because he was questionable so I get to pick up a RB the RB I was gonna pick up was A.Brown and then when the week was over I was gonna IR brown and take Spiller off IR. I might just say forget about Brown and pick up Ellington and maybe by next week have a better idea on Ellington? Possibly drop Bell.

Yes it's a keeper league. That's why I'm having a such a hard time deciding, if it was just this year then Christine wouldn't even be on my team but its a 4 year keeper league. I realllllly want Ellington. What I was thinking was IR spiller because he was questionable so I get to pick up a RB the RB I was gonna pick up was A.Brown and then when the week was over I was gonna IR brown and take Spiller off IR. I might just say forget about Brown and pick up Ellington and maybe by next week have a better idea on Ellington? Possibly drop Bell.
That's close. I wouldn't do it but it's very close.

I dropped Christine for Ellington in a keep 5 league earlier this year.

As high as I am on Ellington, Christine will be a bonafide stud when he gets his shot. I would not let go of something like that in dynasty.

Ellington's path to playing time may be shorter/more clear right now but there are less question marks surrounding Christine in the long run.

After watching video last night on both players I def like Christine more. If I drop anyone it would be BELL but if Bush goes down he's gold. Not sure a out ARZ O-Line. Doesn't seem to matter who runs in ARZ the always suck. Man I wish there was a way to have both guys. Hate how my league only allows 5 total Rbs.

Users who are viewing this thread