What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any good podcasts? (1 Viewer)

I'm saying in here....nobody can have another opinion of him in here. Two people disregarded it and put him on a pedestal. 

I personally know many people in the industry that don't appreciate his antics and he's burned bridges. Kelley is known for his "hot taeks" like Stephen A/Bayless/etc, yet we know the flaws in that approach.

Has his system shown quantitative success? 
I am confused.If I ever implied someone's opinion on podcasts was irrelevant, I am sorry. Like I said in my first post, he's a lot of schtick. I can see why some don't like his show. I hated it the first time I listened. Some in the industry don't like him, some do. That is what's nice about fantasy, it has grown so much that there is something for everyone: redraft, dynasty, nerdy, numbers, tape, mainstream, deep sleeper, etc. 

Good discussion upthread (from 5 months ago  :lmao:  ) on box score analysis versus viewing film.

My three favorite podcasts this year:

• Harris Football Podcast
  • Late Round 
  • Living the Stream

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to find all of the pods a bit annoying these days! I like On the Couch but as I’m dynasty focused its weekly slant isn’t that interesting to me.

I suppose I’d say I tend to get most out of the Dynasty Tradecast and Dynasty Trade Calculator pods. I like Matt Kelley a bit too but I pick and choose what ones of his I listen to, based on the descriptions. He can be a bit much sometimes, it depends.

The other ones I listen to from time to time are Dynasty Blueprint, Dynasty Nerds and Under the Helmet. I can’t say I learn anything much from the first two of those - they are kind of wallpaper listens for me, not all that interesting. I think Chad Parsons has some useful insight on Under the Helmet but I find Tim Torch on that pod irritating - comes across as just a guy who doesn’t really know anything more than any average person in a dynasty league.

One thing I find irritating about most of these pods is the way they talk about fantasy value and trading players - they recommend buys and sells seemingly without any appreciation that you can’t sell a player for X price in draft picks in your league or buy super cheap. I don’t know what leagues these people play in but most of their buy low, sell high or dynasty trading strategies only work if you play in a league full of idiots who aren’t paying attention or have no idea how to value players. 

Are any of these information and advanced analytics dense, like Duncd On for the NBA?  I don't want to listen to people bull####ting or telling jokes.  TIA

Are any of these information and advanced analytics dense, like Duncd On for the NBA?  I don't want to listen to people bull####ting or telling jokes.  TIA
Roto Underworld is very analytics heavy but also lots of shtick 

The numbers game is a rotoviz podcast that I liked in the past.  Haven't listened for a while.

Seems like a good time to resuscitate this thread. I've mostly boiled my fantasy podcasts down to the following:

• Harris Football -- love that he watches game tape and isn't afraid to go against the grain. Not because he's always right, but because it forces me to question my assumptions
  • Late Round Podcast/Living the Stream -- I like pairing Harris with JJ Zachariason's podcasts because they take such different approaches, and I find both valuable. The biggest problem with quantitative analysis is that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You can twist a stat to tell you anything. Harris' solution is to mostly ignore numbers and focus on talent, which he determines by watching film. JJ's approach is to go super deep on stats. Like I said, both approaches have value. Also like LRP because it's super short and gets straight to the point. LTS has lots of joking around with JJ and Denny, but once they're in-season, they reserve all that for the back half of the podcast. If you don't want it, just listen to the first 20 minutes for their streaming recs and then turn it off
  • Fantasy Footballers -- yeah, it's a little fluffier, with more entertainment/schtick than the others, but I still find their advice useful, especially their strategic tips.
Fantasy Focus had been in my regular rotation for years, but I unsubscribed this year. Getting through three daily podcasts for the entire season was becoming too much work, and I found I was listening to it more out of inertia than because I was getting useful info.

I also listen to a bunch of NFL podcasts, including MMQB 10 Things, Albert Breer, Ringer NFL Show and Bill Barnwell. Of those, I like 10 Things the most (Andy Benoit is kind of annoying, but he has really good insights into NFL teams). Special shout out to Barnwell when he has former Jags analytics guy Daniel Adler on to geek out on in-game decision making.

Hadn't heard of RotoUnderworld, and really would prefer not to add anything more to my regular rotation, but based on the recs here I will check it out.

I’ve become a fan of “The Business of Sports with Andrew Brandt.”  Short and to the point, and his perspective on sports issues from an agent and front office point of view is refeshingly different from the usual fare of analysts and the odd former player.

No fantasy relevance to speak of, but one of my new favorites.

I’ve become a fan of “The Business of Sports with Andrew Brandt.”  Short and to the point, and his perspective on sports issues from an agent and front office point of view is refeshingly different from the usual fare of analysts and the odd former player.

No fantasy relevance to speak of, but one of my new favorites.
I used to read his pieces for MMQB, and I absolutely agree. He brings a really different perspective that you don't generally hear anywhere else.

“Good thing I didn’t start a new thread” bump.  I’m finding these more valuable these days so I can multitask (reading here, watching games, mock drafting, etc.) while listening.  I realize most I’ll list have already been mentioned, but anyway...

Favorites:

FantasyPros

Fantasy Football Fellas

PFF - Ratcliffe

Fantasy Football Prophet

CBS

Ok:

The Fantasy Takeaway

The Fantasy Record

Audible/On the Couch (not often enough)

theScore

Rotoworld

Newly Discovered:

Red Shirts

Annoying:

The Fantasy Footballers

ESPN

Casual:

The Sleepers (in-season only, funny)

Now to go back through the thread and grab some more!  :suds:

I listen to the fantasy footballers year round ... glad to see I’m not alone lol.  I think they provide a great mix of knowledge and entertainment. 

Wish they would get into some deeper dynasty talk though. 

I can't watch or listen to the Fantasy Footballers. Maybe if they got rid of the toolbag that sits on the left. They try to hard in my opinion to be funny. I think the information they provide is very vanilla.

I love The Audible/On The Couch....I do enjoy CBS sports fantasy football today....I fast forward ESPN Fantasy focus the first ten minutes because it's all nonsense. I do think when they get into the meat of the podcast they provide good info....I listen the the Chris Harris Podcast but he kinda goofy....The ringer is solid.

I just wish some of these podcasts would stop with the trying to be entertaining BS and get to the football talk. 

I can't watch or listen to the Fantasy Footballers. Maybe if they got rid of the toolbag that sits on the left. They try to hard in my opinion to be funny. I think the information they provide is very vanilla.

I love The Audible/On The Couch....I do enjoy CBS sports fantasy football today....I fast forward ESPN Fantasy focus the first ten minutes because it's all nonsense. I do think when they get into the meat of the podcast they provide good info....I listen the the Chris Harris Podcast but he kinda goofy....The ringer is solid.

I just wish some of these podcasts would stop with the trying to be entertaining BS and get to the football talk. 
I think what’s good about most of these podcasts, especially the footballers - is that they add in some human/regular joe type of comedy. 

Are you that serious? 

I dunno man. I’m very informed on my own, you can get “news” anywhere. I like to listen to normal guys talking football.

”vanilla”? 

Its fantasy football, “guy” ... maybe step your game up and get the news.

for me? I like a little “normal guy” in my podcast listening. I don’t need to hear super serious “fake football” guy talking 

I will check out the audible though - but we are on different sides of the spectrum 

I think what’s good about most of these podcasts, especially the footballers - is that they add in some human/regular joe type of comedy. 

Are you that serious? 

I dunno man. I’m very informed on my own, you can get “news” anywhere. I like to listen to normal guys talking football.

”vanilla”? 

for me? I like a little “normal guy” in my podcast listening. I don’t need to hear super serious “fake football” guy talking 

I will check out the audible though - but we are on different sides of the spectrum 
Check out the Audible and then compare it to the Fantasy footballers and you'll see what I mean by "vanilla".

CBS sports fantasy football Today does a great job of injecting humor and entertainment while while still providing good info but not coming off as trying too hard. 

Also, Are you a  parent or friend of one of these guy's?

I still think On the Couch and Rotounderworld are the best. Sig and Matt are both great hosts and are able to pull so much from their guests. They are like the Leno and Letterman of the industry IMO. 

Check out the Audible and then compare it to the Fantasy footballers and you'll see what I mean by "vanilla".

Also, Are you a  parent or friend of one of these guy's?
Nope. Just a regular guy that is well informed - don’t need my podcasts to be so serious. I do that on my own.

i listen to podcasts for fun. Leisure listening I suppose? If you’re listening to these super serious guys taking fake football? You’re doing something wrong, IMO.

but I will check out the audible. 

The same reason I listen to the LeBatard show religiously - I get enough serious sports talk, I like to mix in the lighter sides of it.

I still think On the Couch and Rotounderworld are the best. Sig and Matt are both great hosts and are able to pull so much from their guests. They are like the Leno and Letterman of the industry IMO. 
I agree!

They are my go to but I like to listen to as many quality podcasts as possible so I don't fall into the groupthink of just one. Finding other quality podcasts is the tough part. There is a lot of junk out there. 

I do like the Ringer nfl pod plus the fantasy podcast.  Now that the Lombardi one seems to be gone I can add it back to my feed.

most accurate podcast is also good.

I agree!

They are my go to but I like to listen to as many quality podcasts as possible so I don't fall into the groupthink of just one. Finding other quality podcasts is the tough part. There is a lot of junk out there. 
I listen to a lot as well. Part of this is because I am a teacher so I have a lot of free time in the summer. I am always going for a walk, working out, driving somewhere, doing yard work, etc. with a fantasy podcast going. I try to focus on a few experts that I think are the smartest and best because I feel like if you listen to so many podcasts and buy into their arguments you wil; end up liking pretty much every player. Holding to the negative opinions I have is the thing I try to focus the most on. 

Well 2 years later after I started this thread, there's only 1 podcast I've stuck with.  RotoUnderworld.  Now I'm looking for more DK/Fanduel daily content to help with that side of things.  I think RotoUnderworld does a version so I'll have to do some browsing but that's the next find, a good daily fantasy podcast.  

Well 2 years later after I started this thread, there's only 1 podcast I've stuck with.  RotoUnderworld.  Now I'm looking for more DK/Fanduel daily content to help with that side of things.  I think RotoUnderworld does a version so I'll have to do some browsing but that's the next find, a good daily fantasy podcast.  
If you want I can record myself talking about some stuff and put it on YouTube:) 

FantasyPros is nice because they podcast often, it’s a fairly fast-paced show and they have decent guests, so you get a wide variety of viewpoints.  Plus they usually release the latest one right after midnight ET.

Their free draft wizard/simulator is very good for quick mocks without waiting for idiots, griefers and the timer, although it is obviously a bit robotic, but it is like drafting against the industry and customizable.

FF Fellas’ podcast is very similar in style and they update nearly as often, although in the morning.  Both will occasionally do a DFS show.

Are you that serious? 

”vanilla”? 

If annoying and obnoxious as #### is regular joe type of comedy for you then fair enough - but their show is terrible. He doesn’t like the show - that’s his opinion. That’s it. But you come back with a bunch of air quotes. 

A good fantasy podcast is usually 70% info and 30% cheese and they easily tip the scale the opposite way. 

I think FantasyPros is probably my favorite if I’m just popping an episode on and am looking for information that isn’t dry. Multiples and they start to get a little annoying too. But they are lighthearted and tend to have good info. 

Then there are Fantasy Free Agents which is probably the best pure info redraft show. It’s pretty straight and to the point but doesn’t feel dry.

RotoUnderworld I listen to from time to time but the Podfather is a bit much for me. I think one episode he cackled for a solid 10 seconds straight. But if you are in a dynasty league or implement keepers this is the best there is that I have found. Deep deep sleepers and guys you can pick up now for nothing and have them pay off a year or two down the road. I am in a pseudo keeper league so this is probably the best podcast imo because it doesn’t rehash the stuff that everyone else does.

Finally, Harris. He’s like a plain piece of Toasted white bread that is slightly burnt. But good info. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
I do like the Ringer nfl pod plus the fantasy podcast.  Now that the Lombardi one seems to be gone I can add it back to my feed.

most accurate podcast is also good.
Lombardi now has a new one of his own that’s called GM Shuffle. 

Yep, pretty much agree although I do listen to others as well 

CBS (always solid IMO) & Harris Football (Fridays can be rough because his cousin is a tool) are the only 2 I listen to daily ..... Establish The Run is new & doesn't post daily -  I like it too (if it stays free all year)

i listen to cbs daily, i like the banter, general news info and they make an enjoyable listen even if its not hard hitting info...

sig's on the couch weekly

rotoworld, solid info, losing evan silva hurts tho

fantasy pros, i like the hosts, mostly solid info

and i've checked out establish the run with evan , but it seems to be an erratic schedule

tried the ringer, didn't care for it too much

and i now subscribe to the athletic so i check out jake ciely's podcast there as well...

hey, it's not a podcast, but a really good FREE youtube show, a guy does market analysis on players. check out #fantasysnapshots on youtube. absolutely fantastic stuff. grades players at the end of each..this guy kills it with the analysis of players.

here is his take on Dalvin Cook

well produced snapshots. absolutely great information!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jasukDonteE

and they have a $15.99 service with a lot of players involved. awesome stuff.

this guy loves d. Freeman and Lindsay.watch the breakdowns. 

Fantasy Focus sucks now. It's 99% BS with 1% of analysis that is only skin deep. If you're already here on the forums, you know more than they tell you on that podcast.

Fantasy Footballers is my favorite. They throw in BS, but it's still mostly football facts/news.

CBS is pretty good.

Dynasty Life can give a different opinion and more long term views.

Harris Football has different views than most other shows, but the first 5-10 minutes are always ads/BS and he's super pretentious. It's pretty much a hipster podcast. BUT, he doesn't pay attention to the standard rankings so he gives some alternate viewpoints that aren't skewed by the majority.

Dynasty Nerds gives some good info, especially for dynasty players.

FantasyPros, pretty good but they change their views on a whim. Doesn't seem like they have a lot of conviction about their picks, except John Brown and Kevin White, who they talk about all the time.

Dynasty Dude - If you want info with little BS and in a quick manner (usually under 20 min) then this is your podcast. The guy annoys me to no end so I can't listen, but it does give concise info if that's all you're looking for.
I stand by almost all of this. Dynasty Nerds I'm not as in on, but they talk rookies a lot more than standard podcasts.

Dynasty Blueprint is another I've listened to, it's ok. They have some takes that aren't very common, and I think for good reason. They do have a lot of good guests though who bring great insight. 

I listened to it too and didn’t care for it
Just curious why you didn’t like it?  I like it because they are not wasting listeners time with stuff not related to football and they seemed very knowledgeable in their debates and discussions with each other.   Very nice top 20 RB discussion in their 1st ever podcast in my opinion.   The first podcast I’ve heard in a long time that didn’t waste any time with silly jokes or  talking about unrelated stuff not pertaining to fantasy football.   I’m glad I found it. 

Just curious why you didn’t like it?  I like it because they are not wasting listeners time with stuff not related to football and they seemed very knowledgeable in their debates and discussions with each other.   Very nice top 20 RB discussion in their 1st ever podcast in my opinion.   The first podcast I’ve heard in a long time that didn’t waste any time with silly jokes or  talking about unrelated stuff not pertaining to fantasy football.   I’m glad I found it. 
A couple things:

1. The voice and mannerisms of two of the guys was hard for me to get past. This is important on a podcast and has steered me away from other popular ones

2. I don’t like podcasts that spend a ton of time on jokes either. When Chad Parsons went on a 5  minute talk about his first couple experiences with coffee it was a bit off putting, but it at least adds some personality to the show. There are podcasts that do amazing job working little jokes and little things here and there that make the show really fun to listen to and keep me engaged. It’s like I’m hanging with some buddies who know a lot about football. An hour and 15 minutes of some guys who seem like they have the personality of a wooden plank is real tough to get through, even if they have something good to say. You have to keep the listeners attention and I had a real hard time making it through the first episode. Very monotone and personalities were flat

3. I find most podcasts to fall short of actual information worth listening to and better than my own. There are a couple podcasts that I never miss and have helped me a ton. I’m not even sure who these guys are and why their opinion should matter to me. They just seem to be in that “everyone else” category of a million podcasts out there; nothing makes them different in a good way for me. 

Seems like everyone is making a podcast these days, so I’m sure some people will find this up their alley. 

A couple things:

1. The voice and mannerisms of two of the guys was hard for me to get past. This is important on a podcast and has steered me away from other popular ones

2. I don’t like podcasts that spend a ton of time on jokes either. When Chad Parsons went on a 5  minute talk about his first couple experiences with coffee it was a bit off putting, but it at least adds some personality to the show. There are podcasts that do amazing job working little jokes and little things here and there that make the show really fun to listen to and keep me engaged. It’s like I’m hanging with some buddies who know a lot about football. An hour and 15 minutes of some guys who seem like they have the personality of a wooden plank is real tough to get through, even if they have something good to say. You have to keep the listeners attention and I had a real hard time making it through the first episode. Very monotone and personalities were flat

3. I find most podcasts to fall short of actual information worth listening to and better than my own. There are a couple podcasts that I never miss and have helped me a ton. I’m not even sure who these guys are and why their opinion should matter to me. They just seem to be in that “everyone else” category of a million podcasts out there; nothing makes them different in a good way for me. 

Seems like everyone is making a podcast these days, so I’m sure some people will find this up their alley. 
Thanks for your posting your reasoning, it’s hard to find the perfect podcast, but your right, there are just so many now, way, way more than in the past.   For some reason, I get turned off put podcast that talked about stuff other than football, I guess I’m just getting older.   I used to listen to most of the popular fantasy football podcast shows, but I just got turned off by most of them because 30% of the show was either off topic or talking about their own teams. 

Thanks for your posting your reasoning, it’s hard to find the perfect podcast, but your right, there are just so many now, way, way more than in the past.   For some reason, I get turned off put podcast that talked about stuff other than football, I guess I’m just getting older.   I used to listen to most of the popular fantasy football podcast shows, but I just got turned off by most of them because 30% of the show was either off topic or talking about their own teams. 
Yes I can’t stand dynasty nerds anymore. Footballguys aren’t too fun for me, but I do like the dynasty show. Fantasy footballers and dynasty blueprint are my two favorites that resonate with me really well 

Considering that was only the first Podcast ever for The Fantasy Feud I thought they did a great job.  I'm sure they were loaded with tons of stats for the first pod to be prepared.  If they loosen up it will be solid.  I got their pod by the suggestion of the Once Upon a Sunday Podcast (OUS).  I have my rotation of the top ranked pods, but I like to check out the guys that are new or on the rise.  OUS seems to be gaining traction.

Users who are viewing this thread