What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any news on Jones-Drew (1 Viewer)

Yeah, um, most teams don't risk their best running back too much in the preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
umm...is he the guy that is currently the owner of the highest ADP for backups?

Fred Taylor aint done yet guys

umm...is he the guy that is currently the owner of the highest ADP for backups?Fred Taylor aint done yet guys
I don't think anyone said Fred was done. He had a good year last year and so did MJD. MJD just has more potential, that's all. They'll both play every game barring any injuries.

Yeah, um, most teams don't risk their best running back too much in the preseason.
Unless you're Shanny and you're trying to get your Denver offense in gear.....then you leave your stud RB in the game late into the 2nd quarter.....so he can sprain a knee. Be grateful the Jags got MJD out of there in a hurry.............

I don't think anyone said Fred was done. He had a good year last year and so did MJD. MJD just has more potential, that's all. They'll both play every game barring any injuries.
I'd say that 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns is a little more than potential. He's a better player than Fred Taylor right now. The only reason Taylor is still the starter is out of respect. And he can still play a little.

I'd say that 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns is a little more than potential. He's a better player than Fred Taylor right now. The only reason Taylor is still the starter is out of respect. And he can still play a little.
What has Taylor done to deserve not to start? He had a great season last year.

Well for one Maurice-Jones Drew was better than Fred Taylor in every way last season. If the better player were to start it would certainly be MJD. If Fred Taylor had a great season (I'd say very good but whatever) what kind of season did MJD have? 1500 yards and 15 TD in basically 14 games would have to be considered a little more than great. Fred Taylor hasn't played poorly enough not to start. But make no mistake the only reason he's the starter is because of what he's meant to the Jaguars organization over the years and because he is still a productive running back. Not because he's better than MJD.

Well for one Maurice-Jones Drew was better than Fred Taylor in every way last season. If the better player were to start it would certainly be MJD. If Fred Taylor had a great season (I'd say very good but whatever) what kind of season did MJD have? 1500 yards and 15 TD in basically 14 games would have to be considered a little more than great. Fred Taylor hasn't played poorly enough not to start. But make no mistake the only reason he's the starter is because of what he's meant to the Jaguars organization over the years and because he is still a productive running back. Not because he's better than MJD.
:moneybag: When your job is on the line (which Del Rio's is), can you really limit your best RB? Everyone wants to keep people "fresh", but if the Jags don't make the playoffs, Del Rio is history.

If MJD gives them a better chance to win, they'll give him as many touches he can handle. They'll ride him into the ground. When the Jags are down 14-0 in the 1st qrter, I'll bet MJD is the RB on the next series.

be careful what you wish for...

you need fred to take the pounding

thunder thighs or no, Drew can't carry the ball 350 times in a season and make it to the end

he will always need to be RBBC

#28 Fred Taylor RB

Born: January 27, 1976

So he is 31 with 10 years experience as a NFL RB. I'm thinking he has the starting role out of respect like some others in this thread and MJD will be th focal point. I remember thinking Fred Taylor was an old RB 2-3 years ago.

#28 Fred Taylor RB Born: January 27, 1976So he is 31 with 10 years experience as a NFL RB. I'm thinking he has the starting role out of respect like some others in this thread and MJD will be th focal point. I remember thinking Fred Taylor was an old RB 2-3 years ago.
:banned: No one starts an NFL player "out of respect". They may enter camp listed as #1, but no coach, NO COACH, will ever start a second rate player over the best player when the regular season starts.If Taylor starts, its because the coach thinks he gives the team the best shot of winning.

Fred is still very good! But I couldn't help to notice all year long how he got winded and ran down on his break aways. While Drew reached the end zone every time on his.

It's only a matter of time for mjd. And they seemed to compliment each other so well last year I don;t think things will change much this year bareing injury.

Taylor is starting because he can handle the workload of an every-down back and he's been productive at it. He allows MJD to come in and make big plays without suffering the wear and tear of a guy who gets 20+ carries a game. Conversely, MJD allows Fred Taylor to rest and maintain a high level throughout the game instead of wearing down in his "old" age.

The combination of MJD and Taylor works very, very well together. That's not going to change.

I think Freddy playing is great news for people drafting now looking to get MJD cheap as their RB2..........Let's face it if MJD was the unquestioned starter right now he wouldn't make it past 1.08 in most drafts,I would think he could be had early to late 2nd round in most redrafts right now....right or wrong?????

#28 Fred Taylor RB Born: January 27, 1976So he is 31 with 10 years experience as a NFL RB. I'm thinking he has the starting role out of respect like some others in this thread and MJD will be th focal point. I remember thinking Fred Taylor was an old RB 2-3 years ago.
:confused: No one starts an NFL player "out of respect". They may enter camp listed as #1, but no coach, NO COACH, will ever start a second rate player over the best player when the regular season starts.If Taylor starts, its because the coach thinks he gives the team the best shot of winning.
:cry: ...and you never saw Playmakers.

#28 Fred Taylor RB

Born: January 27, 1976

So he is 31 with 10 years experience as a NFL RB. I'm thinking he has the starting role out of respect like some others in this thread and MJD will be th focal point. I remember thinking Fred Taylor was an old RB 2-3 years ago.
:goodposting: No one starts an NFL player "out of respect". They may enter camp listed as #1, but no coach, NO COACH, will ever start a second rate player over the best player when the regular season starts.

If Taylor starts, its because the coach thinks he gives the team the best shot of winning.
Allow me to introduce you to Herm Edwards...

Yup NFL teams always give their players new contracts with pay raises so they can sit on the bench "out of respect". There is a reason why the Jags gave FT a new contract, they knew what they had in MJD who is an excellent player. He's gonna have a wonderful season, just not deserving of a top 15 pick without a Taylor and/or Greg Jones injury.

The way the debate in this thread is going about the veteran remaining the starter and the younger talented player backing him up reminds me a lot of the preseaspon threads from 2 years ago about Priest and LJ.

Willowdoc said:
Yup NFL teams always give their players new contracts with pay raises so they can sit on the bench "out of respect". There is a reason why the Jags gave FT a new contract, they knew what they had in MJD who is an excellent player. He's gonna have a wonderful season, just not deserving of a top 15 pick without a Taylor and/or Greg Jones injury.
Riiiiight, and what about last year when MJD ranked as RB 8 playing in only 14 games receiving less touches than Taylor? FYI, just because a guy is starting does not mean he will get more touches or be more important to the offense. I'd love to hear what many of the people flipping out over that small piece of information think about Bush not starting in NO. Seems to be a rather large double standard in comparing MJD to Bush, who he severely outperformed in ever facet of the game last year.

Please stop this MJD propaganda.TMwtP reminds me of Donkey back in the Hearst vs. Barlow debates. MJD is NOT the better RB between the two.

Please stop this MJD propaganda.TMwtP reminds me of Donkey back in the Hearst vs. Barlow debates. MJD is NOT the better RB between the two.
For fantasy purposes, do you think Fred Taylor will have better numbers then MJD?

At this point, a 2nd year MJD is better than a 31 year old Fred.MJD outperformed Fred in EVERY facet last season. Right now, he's better than Fred. No question about it.

At this point, a 2nd year MJD is better than a 31 year old Fred.MJD outperformed Fred in EVERY facet last season. Right now, he's better than Fred. No question about it.
:confused: It's not even close. MJD was better LAST year. His um, rookie year? Watch the games, it's painfully obvious.

Did you know Fred had a better YPC as full time starter (Fred = 5.0 vs MJD = 4.9)

Jax coaches have acknowledged this by stating MJD is more effective when get 10-15 touches per games (and used in return game).

Did you know Fred had a better YPC as full time starter (Fred = 5.0 vs MJD = 4.9)

Jax coaches have acknowledged this by stating MJD is more effective when get 10-15 touches per games (and used in return game).
MJD YPC was 5.7 last year. I'm guessing you're excluding a number of carries due to the fact that he didn't get enough carries in the game or some other such nonsense. You also ignore the fact that MJD was used as the short-yardage back which causes his YPC to be lower than it otherwise would be.

Even ignoring all that, your argument is that MJD is clearly inferior because his YPC was .1 lower than Taylor. Not a huge difference.

I find this ESPN article interesting. The purpose of the article is to explain why MJD is overvalued and will be in a dreaded RBBC all year. The author believes Jones will cut into MJD's carries and especially his carries inside the 5: resulting in a decrease in TDs.

The final adjusted stat line he gives for MJD is 946 rushing, 436 receiving, and 10 TDs or 198 FF points. In 06, 198 FF points would have been good enough to rank as the 10th best back. That breaks down to 12.75 FF per game, good enough for 14th.

For a guy going mid-to-late 2nd round and likely being the 15th player at his position drafted, how are these supposedly negative new adjusted projections a shot at Jones-Drew? If anything this article is saying MJD is being drafted exactly where he belongs. I like a player who, when downgraded by a FF writer, projects out to his draft position.

That's what people said about Barlow too :P

That's what people said about Barlow too :D
Did Barlow crack the top 10 in a part time role his first year in the league? Or any year?Barlow sucks. What's he got to do with MJD...? Nothing.I swear to god you're :lol: here. You usually know better.

That's what people said about Barlow too :lmao:
Did Barlow crack the top 10 in a part time role his first year in the league? Or any year?Barlow sucks. What's he got to do with MJD...? Nothing.I swear to god you're :fishing: here. You usually know better.
Check switz' post history, he is just a MJD hater and should be ignored in regards to this subject.

MJD YPC was 5.7 last year. I'm guessing you're excluding a number of carries due to the fact that he didn't get enough carries in the game or some other such nonsense. You also ignore the fact that MJD was used as the short-yardage back which causes his YPC to be lower than it otherwise would be.

Even ignoring all that, your argument is that MJD is clearly inferior because his YPC was .1 lower than Taylor. Not a huge difference.
Remove your bias and read the re-read the bolded part. Fred missed a few games and MJD was the full-time starter for those games which his his YPC was 4.9. Still very good and I think MJD could be huge with Fred not around. But Fred is the veteran and productive in JAX so he will factor into MJD's fantasy production.Point is, MJD's YPC dropped almost an entire yard (per game) when he got more carries. Not a huge data set but interesting non-the-less.

Remove your bias and read the re-read the bolded part. Fred missed a few games and MJD was the full-time starter for those games which his his YPC was 4.9. Still very good and I think MJD could be huge with Fred not around. But Fred is the veteran and productive in JAX so he will factor into MJD's fantasy production.Point is, MJD's YPC dropped almost an entire yard (per game) when he got more carries. Not a huge data set but interesting non-the-less.
Fred Taylor missed one game last year (week 16). In that game MJD rushed for 131 yards on 19 carries for an average of 6.9 YPC.

I am as big a MJD fan as you will find, but I believe there is no way MJD averages 5.7 ypc this year. I projected him at a full yard less.

That's what people said about Barlow too :goodposting:
Did Barlow crack the top 10 in a part time role his first year in the league? Or any year?Barlow sucks. What's he got to do with MJD...? Nothing.I swear to god you're :thumbup: here. You usually know better.
No fishing... I don't do that. I don't think Barlow cracked the top-10, but he also say far fewer carries, because Hearst didn't miss any games. However, he produced at a top-10 clip when he played.The problem is, most of the time these backs regress. No one seems to take that into account with MJD at all. I don't understand it. The guys a good player, but it seems people have blinders on about him.Taylor is not going anywhere for three years (per contract), and barring injury he will see the majority of touches. MJD probably will no see any more touches than last year, and with the likelihood of regression, there's little reason to think he'll be a top-10 back again this season.Does it mean he stinks? No.But it does mean the incessant "MJD is god" threads are a little ridiculous.

Fred Taylor missed one game last year (week 16). In that game MJD rushed for 131 yards on 19 carries for an average of 6.9 YPC.
Are you completely ignoring the games before and after where Taylor due to injury saw 2 and 7 carries? That's convenient.Interestingly, in the game Taylor got injured MJD carried the ball 25 times for 98 yards. In the game Taylore returned but was limited, MJD rushed 12 times for 46 yards. Both games were sub 4.0YPC.

In the New England game you tout with the high YPC, 74 yards came on one play where the Patriots thought MJD was taken down and they stopped trying to tackle him. I'm not fond of removing "the one big run", but in a situation like this where the player obvioulsy would not have had the run because the D stopped playing, it's a pretty good indication that his other 18 carries were more realistic. And with those 18 carries he put up 57 yards, again far below 4.0 YPC.

That's what you are looking at realistically for MJD if he was the full time starter. End of the season, teams had him figured out, and given a big load his YPC severly dropped.

Are you completely ignoring the games before and after where Taylor due to injury saw 2 and 7 carries? That's convenient.Interestingly, in the game Taylor got injured MJD carried the ball 25 times for 98 yards. In the game Taylore returned but was limited, MJD rushed 12 times for 46 yards. Both games were sub 4.0YPC.

In the New England game you tout with the high YPC, 74 yards came on one play where the Patriots thought MJD was taken down and they stopped trying to tackle him. I'm not fond of removing "the one big run", but in a situation like this where the player obvioulsy would not have had the run because the D stopped playing, it's a pretty good indication that his other 18 carries were more realistic. And with those 18 carries he put up 57 yards, again far below 4.0 YPC.

That's what you are looking at realistically for MJD if he was the full time starter. End of the season, teams had him figured out, and given a big load his YPC severly dropped.
And in those three games you are referencing he also had 104 yards receiving and scored 4 touchdowns. So whether or not teams had figured him out he was still producing top flight numbers.Look this is all semantics. I actually agree with your post just before this one. There is definetly going to be regression to the mean. But trying to justify that based on a three game stretch where he scored 4 touchdowns is a little ridiculous.

Switz...

I've read your posts on MJD and simply don't understand what you're trying to do.

In New England, they have Kevin Faulk for a receiving back out of the backfield on 3rd down situations and Sammy Morris to spot Maroney. He has already been dinged up this offseason and was dinged up last year on a couple of occassions. He played in a total of 14 games (essentially the same as Jones-Drew... who saw virtually no action in his first two). Maroney had around 500 less total yards and half of the TD's Jones Drew had... yet everyone seems to think that all of a sudden Maroney will just combine his stats and Dillon's stats from last year together and make him a top 10 back. Could this happen? Sure... I guess... but there are serious question marks there. New England is going to be a pass first team as well now that Brady has another toy.

In New Orleans, they have Deuce McAlister... who is a better (and more productive in terms of fantasy signifncance) RB than Fred Taylor... yet everyone thinks Bush will somehow improve on his 1400 total yards and 8 TD's from last year. Let me ask you this question... how many more rushing yards do you expect Bush to get this year? Between McAlister and Bush, they had 1600 last year... which is around 500 less rushing yards than Taylor and Jones-Drew had combined. New Orleans will continue to emphasize the pass with Brees... so I certainly don't expect those totals to increase much. Maybe he gets a slight uptick in rushing yards, but a majority of the yardage and rushing TD's will still come from McAlister. Bush almost certainly won't see an increase in the # of receptions over last year. There's really nowhere to go but down from 88 catches in my opinion.

Both of these RB's are consistently getting selected between 5 to 10 spots ahead of MJD.

Why do you feel compelled to constantly cut down MJD?

If he was getting drafted in the same spot as the above 2 guys... I'd understand the concern. In a different thread on this same topic, I mentioned that if MJD got the same total yardage as last year (remember he only played 14 games) on a few more touches (lowering his rushing and receiving averages) with half of the TD's... he justifies his draft position. You seemed to agree with those #'s more or less.

I don't understand why you're so down on this guy relative to where he's being drafted.

Just an FYI to everyone...

In the ppr rankings I've done for my upcoming drafts, I have Maroney as RB10, Bush at RB11, and MJD at RB12... so I don't see a big difference between any of these guys.

reminds me of Donkey back in the Hearst vs. Barlow debates. MJD is NOT the better RB between the two.
Yes he is - and it's not even close in 2007. Taylor in his prime may have been better, but at 31 -- no way. MJD came into the league with an almost perfect profile, and had an astonishing rookie year despite splitting time. He's my odds-on favorite for 'the next LT.'

switz said:
:drive: If there was ever a valid use of "Throw out the one big run..." that's it.

isiahcleaves said:
Switz...I've read your posts on MJD and simply don't understand what you're trying to do. In New England, they have Kevin Faulk for a receiving back out of the backfield on 3rd down situations and Sammy Morris to spot Maroney. He has already been dinged up this offseason and was dinged up last year on a couple of occassions. He played in a total of 14 games (essentially the same as Jones-Drew... who saw virtually no action in his first two). Maroney had around 500 less total yards and half of the TD's Jones Drew had... yet everyone seems to think that all of a sudden Maroney will just combine his stats and Dillon's stats from last year together and make him a top 10 back. Could this happen? Sure... I guess... but there are serious question marks there. New England is going to be a pass first team as well now that Brady has another toy.In New Orleans, they have Deuce McAlister... who is a better (and more productive in terms of fantasy signifncance) RB than Fred Taylor... yet everyone thinks Bush will somehow improve on his 1400 total yards and 8 TD's from last year. Let me ask you this question... how many more rushing yards do you expect Bush to get this year? Between McAlister and Bush, they had 1600 last year... which is around 500 less rushing yards than Taylor and Jones-Drew had combined. New Orleans will continue to emphasize the pass with Brees... so I certainly don't expect those totals to increase much. Maybe he gets a slight uptick in rushing yards, but a majority of the yardage and rushing TD's will still come from McAlister. Bush almost certainly won't see an increase in the # of receptions over last year. There's really nowhere to go but down from 88 catches in my opinion.Both of these RB's are consistently getting selected between 5 to 10 spots ahead of MJD.Why do you feel compelled to constantly cut down MJD?If he was getting drafted in the same spot as the above 2 guys... I'd understand the concern. In a different thread on this same topic, I mentioned that if MJD got the same total yardage as last year (remember he only played 14 games) on a few more touches (lowering his rushing and receiving averages) with half of the TD's... he justifies his draft position. You seemed to agree with those #'s more or less. I don't understand why you're so down on this guy relative to where he's being drafted. Just an FYI to everyone... In the ppr rankings I've done for my upcoming drafts, I have Maroney as RB10, Bush at RB11, and MJD at RB12... so I don't see a big difference between any of these guys.
I guess the same question could apply in reverse though...Why aren't there new threads every day aout Bush and Maroney and how they are going to be the next uberstud RBs? I guess I'm just trying to balance out the uninhibited optimism about a player that IMO had a very lucky year.We'll see in retrospect.If I could get MJD on my team, I'd be thrilled, but I wouldn't count on him as anything more than my #3 RB.

Users who are viewing this thread