What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

Thing the burns me even more is now I have to drop his sorry butt off three of my fantasy teams because he has now become useless to me. Hopefully, some sucker in my league will give me something for him. Sad that a top back basically commits fantasy and Nfl production suicide. That sucks.
Guess you didn't see the production McCoy has had under Chip?

Thing the burns me even more is now I have to drop his sorry butt off three of my fantasy teams because he has now become useless to me. Hopefully, some sucker in my league will give me something for him. Sad that a top back basically commits fantasy and Nfl production suicide. That sucks.
Give it 24 hours. He will back out when Chip signs SJAX to a 4/24 deal.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

DeMarco Murray's deal with Eagles is expected to be 5 years, $42 million, including $21 million guaranteed, per @mortreport and I.
Good the Eagles will suck even more and won't have the cap to spend to get better. Yet another bad team getting worse. I am so glad the Cowboys brass seems to be getting smarter. The young Jones is taking over and it's showing.

You don't understand, now he has to go against the vaunted Cowboys D twice a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but HOW THE F can you even think about going to PHILLY. You hearin me Murray. It's PHILLY. I mean, how the hell can this even be an option. I hate the NFL for this. Money shmuny, you can't just become an Eagle after being a Cowboy. It's worse then going from being a Cowboy to a Skin. It's like watching a Hyena sharing a kill with a lion. Just doesn't make sense. How can you play of a team you have been bred to hate. I just don't get it. There's not enough money in the world to convince me to like the Eagles. There just isn't any way you can get me to change how I feel about the sorry #### Eagles. I hate em. Always have and always will. I just can't understand it.
Do you honestly think players care about this sort of thing? No--only the fans give a ####.

I'm sorry but HOW THE F can you even think about going to PHILLY. You hearin me Murray. It's PHILLY. I mean, how the hell can this even be an option. I hate the NFL for this. Money shmuny, you can't just become an Eagle after being a Cowboy. It's worse then going from being a Cowboy to a Skin. It's like watching a Hyena sharing a kill with a lion. Just doesn't make sense. How can you play of a team you have been bred to hate. I just don't get it. There's not enough money in the world to convince me to like the Eagles. There just isn't any way you can get me to change how I feel about the sorry #### Eagles. I hate em. Always have and always will. I just can't understand it.
Dude, you realize that these guys pray together after the games and swap blows from strippers and share a hash pipe in the offseason?

@AdamSchefter: Chiefs releasing WR Dwayne Bowe today.

I posted that guys Twitter last night and even called him a troll. He is NAILING every one of these moves

Murray is no McCoy. McCoy is a VERY elusive back and has speed to burn. Murray is a one cut pounder that needs holes to run through. He's not fast enough to run away from people in small spaces. He has to have a few yards of space to get momentum. Like I said, he doesn't get 500 yards this year. Sproles and Murray share the backfield and Murray becomes Trent Richardson watch. He won't have the lanes to run through and will dance and find little space to run. As a result will only last 8 games due to the pounding he gets from linemen instead of DB's. Mark my words, 21 million is a nice money grab but his football career is over. He will fad away and will be a forgotten in two years. He is a special back in Dallas because he had a perfect line to run behind and a QB that knows how to get the ball out to a very good receiving corps. Philly has neither a good line nor a QB that can play anywhere near the level of Romo.

Murray's 2015 production < Trent Richardson's 2014 production

Eagles agreed to terms with RB DeMarco Murray on a five-year, $42 million contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/308498/Report-Murray-getting-$21M-guaranteed-in-PHI?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

DeMarco Murray's deal with Eagles is expected to be 5 years, $42 million, including $21 million guaranteed, per @mortreport and I.
Good for him. He earned it. Strange Philly let McCoy go and then paid Murray this much.

Murray is no McCoy. McCoy is a VERY elusive back and has speed to burn. Murray is a one cut pounder that needs holes to run through. He's not fast enough to run away from people in small spaces. He has to have a few yards of space to get momentum. Like I said, he doesn't get 500 yards this year. Sproles and Murray share the backfield and Murray becomes Trent Richardson watch. He won't have the lanes to run through and will dance and find little space to run. As a result will only last 8 games due to the pounding he gets from linemen instead of DB's. Mark my words, 21 million is a nice money grab but his football career is over. He will fad away and will be a forgotten in two years. He is a special back in Dallas because he had a perfect line to run behind and a QB that knows how to get the ball out to a very good receiving corps. Philly has neither a good line nor a QB that can play anywhere near the level of Romo. Murray's 2015 production < Trent Richardson's 2014 production
What blocking scheme is Philly going to use? Murray excels in zone blocking IMO. Uses great vision and decisive cuts to get upfield for efficient yardage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray now moves to my kiss my ### list alone with all the rest of those filthy Philly slobs. Welcome to nowhere Demotion Murray. We are going to pound you to the sidelines this year. Your gonna wish you took what they offered and played rather than be the one year wonder your are slated to become. Murray will now be spoken of in the same breath as guys like Willy Parker, and the forgotten running backs that had one good year and slipped quietly into the lake of obscurity leaving only the bubbles that float to the top as a final farewell as they pop and dissipate into the air leaving no trace of an existence.

Crazy, just crazy. A Cowboy signing to become an Eagle. Disgusting.......... :X
Wow, just wow.

Good luck to Murray, the writing was on the wall and the word on the street at the beginning of last season was that Dallas was going to run Murray into the ground and then part ways. Murray going to Philly is on the Cowboys FO and not Murray. I don't fault him for chasing the greenbacks and showing no loyality to an organization that gave him none.

Sorry you're so mad, dude. But don't compound your problems by dumping Murray from your FF teams. Consider:Maclin: Best season under Kelly

Jackson: Best season under Kelly

McCoy: Best season under Kelly

Foles: A great season under Kelly that will be hard to replicate for anyone else

Heck, even Riley Cooper became somewhat of a FF play 2 years ago. So don't let your Cowboy bias and your Eagles hate cloud your FF decisions. I think you will regret it.

BTW, how's your dad doing?

Sorry you're so mad, dude. But don't compound your problems by dumping Murray from your FF teams. Consider:Maclin: Best season under Kelly

Jackson: Best season under Kelly

McCoy: Best season under Kelly

Foles: A great season under Kelly that will be hard to replicate for anyone else

Heck, even Riley Cooper became somewhat of a FF play 2 years ago. So don't let your Cowboy bias and your Eagles hate cloud your FF decisions. I think you will regret it.

BTW, how's your dad doing?
Honestly I think the Eagles step backwards this year and Murray has a horrible year.

Dads doing much better, thanks for asking. He's going to have the reconnection surgery in a week and should be good to go.

Murray is no McCoy. McCoy is a VERY elusive back and has speed to burn. Murray is a one cut pounder that needs holes to run through. He's not fast enough to run away from people in small spaces. He has to have a few yards of space to get momentum. Like I said, he doesn't get 500 yards this year. Sproles and Murray share the backfield and Murray becomes Trent Richardson watch. He won't have the lanes to run through and will dance and find little space to run. As a result will only last 8 games due to the pounding he gets from linemen instead of DB's. Mark my words, 21 million is a nice money grab but his football career is over. He will fad away and will be a forgotten in two years. He is a special back in Dallas because he had a perfect line to run behind and a QB that knows how to get the ball out to a very good receiving corps. Philly has neither a good line nor a QB that can play anywhere near the level of Romo. Murray's 2015 production < Trent Richardson's 2014 production
What blocking scheme is Philly going to use? Murray excels in zone blocking IMO. Uses great vision and decisive cuts to get upfield for efficient yardage.
I don't have the rose colored glasses our Cowboyz fan above has but I think he is for the most part correct.

Murray runs upright and he's not a "shift and you barely tackle me" guy. He takes hits and the injuries have shown it. I can't imagine how a team couldn't be concerned about a back coming off 500 (500!) touches and this was the first time in his career since High School that he stayed healthy all year. The Eagles bought the exception, not the norm and that is going to show.

I don't think people are recognizing (or at least, giving enough credit to) just HOW GOOD that Cowboys line is and how much a guy like Dez Bryant and Jason Whitten pull players off the line of scrimmage.

I think Cowboyz has it right. Murray wont be able to get that head of steam built up and is going to take a lot of whallops right in the scrum of the line this year and will have a good share of plays where he gets blown up. It will look like Eddie George or Jamaal Lewis when they got old, or TRICH. People will be saying he lost it overnight like Shaun Alexander or something but I think it will be more a combo of things. He truly had a perfect storm in Dallas last year.

And now there is talk that the Eagles are shopping Mathis? If FA lasts two more weeks, that vaunted line won't even be there anymore.

@brianros1: Dont understand why people dont get that DeMarco Murray + Kiko Alonso > LeSean McCoy.

And we saved 2.5 million.
At the time the deal was done though the Eagles did not have Murray. You can look back now and maybe this was the plan all along but that trade did not require to Murray to sign with the Eagles.

Murray is no McCoy. McCoy is a VERY elusive back and has speed to burn. Murray is a one cut pounder that needs holes to run through. He's not fast enough to run away from people in small spaces. He has to have a few yards of space to get momentum. Like I said, he doesn't get 500 yards this year. Sproles and Murray share the backfield and Murray becomes Trent Richardson watch. He won't have the lanes to run through and will dance and find little space to run. As a result will only last 8 games due to the pounding he gets from linemen instead of DB's. Mark my words, 21 million is a nice money grab but his football career is over. He will fad away and will be a forgotten in two years. He is a special back in Dallas because he had a perfect line to run behind and a QB that knows how to get the ball out to a very good receiving corps. Philly has neither a good line nor a QB that can play anywhere near the level of Romo.

The reason they traded McCoy (in addition to the money) was that McCoy tried to bounce everything outside instead of hitting the hole. They wanted a more North-South runner who would just hit the hole and get positive yards. I'm concerned with the amount of touches Murray had, but he fits the mold of the type of runner Chip wants in this system more than Shady did.

Dez Bryant @DezBryant

@DeMarcoMurray I wish you would have stayed but I understand your decision... Congrats bro you deserve it - #offenseMVPoftheyear

The reason they traded McCoy (in addition to the money) was that McCoy tried to bounce everything outside instead of hitting the hole. They wanted a more North-South runner who would just hit the hole and get positive yards. I'm concerned with the amount of touches Murray had, but he fits the mold of the type of runner Chip wants in this system more than Shady did.
Murray did have a lot of touches last year, but over the last 4 he has less than Shady. To your point on running styles, over the last 4 years Shady had the 3rd highest amount of carries that went for 0 or negative yards (out of 57 backs with at least 300 carries) while Murray had the 9th lowest

A lot of parallels between Murray's contract and the one Foster got before the 2012 season. Same years, pretty much same total and guaranteed monies. Murray is a year older, both had a few injuries in their past. Salary cap is higher now though which would make it comparatively a cheaper contract than Foster's by a fair amount.

I don't have the rose colored glasses our Cowboyz fan above has but I think he is for the most part correct.

Murray runs upright and he's not a "shift and you barely tackle me" guy. He takes hits and the injuries have shown it. I can't imagine how a team couldn't be concerned about a back coming off 500 (500!) touches and this was the first time in his career since High School that he stayed healthy all year. The Eagles bought the exception, not the norm and that is going to show.

I don't think people are recognizing (or at least, giving enough credit to) just HOW GOOD that Cowboys line is and how much a guy like Dez Bryant and Jason Whitten pull players off the line of scrimmage.

I think Cowboyz has it right. Murray wont be able to get that head of steam built up and is going to take a lot of whallops right in the scrum of the line this year and will have a good share of plays where he gets blown up. It will look like Eddie George or Jamaal Lewis when they got old, or TRICH. People will be saying he lost it overnight like Shaun Alexander or something but I think it will be more a combo of things. He truly had a perfect storm in Dallas last year.

And now there is talk that the Eagles are shopping Mathis? If FA lasts two more weeks, that vaunted line won't even be there anymore.
All that stuff about the Cowboys OL holds true with Murray until you look at the year before when he averaged over 5 ypc behind a lesser OL

1124-10 (total) in 14 games--Im not 100% sure he didnt miss most or parts of other games as well that year

All that stuff about the Cowboys OL holds true with Murray until you look at the year before when he averaged over 5 ypc behind a lesser OL

1124-10 (total) in 14 games--Im not 100% sure he didnt miss most or parts of other games as well that year
True, and we're splitting hairs at this point in determining when the line gelled but it had been coming on even the year before and Dez and Whitten were there all along.

Overall, I'm just saying that those things should be looked at pretty well. They play a large role in the success of the runner.

@Edwerderespn: Defection of @DeMarcoMurray means #Cowboys have lost NFL rushing champ to #Eagles and run game coordinator Bill Callahan to #Redskins

Were the Eagles griping about this in 2013 when he ripped the league a new one? Serious question: I don't know if this has been a grumbling of Chip's for a while but I don't remember hearing anyone complain just a year earlier when Shady was tearing it up.

Funny how in one year, you can go from being labeled as "special, with barry Sanderish moves and instincs and vision that you just can't teach" to "guess he's just getting old and doesn't run where Chip wants him to"

Were the Eagles griping about this in 2013 when he ripped the league a new one? Serious question: I don't know if this has been a grumbling of Chip's for a while but I don't remember hearing anyone complain just a year earlier when Shady was tearing it up. Funny how in one year, you can go from being labeled as "special, with barry Sanderish moves and instincs and vision that you just can't teach" to "guess he's just getting old and doesn't run where Chip wants him to"
There were grumblings hat Chip was not a fan of it in 2013 either.

@Edwerderespn: Defection of @DeMarcoMurray means #Cowboys have lost NFL rushing champ to #Eagles and run game coordinator Bill Callahan to #Redskins
Translation: Scott Linehan is already scheming on ways to revert to his old ways and get Dez Bryant 130/1900/20 in 2015.

It was all part of the master plan! Jerry sitting back like the star Wars emperor salivating at ways to turn loose his Death Star.

Were the Eagles griping about this in 2013 when he ripped the league a new one? Serious question: I don't know if this has been a grumbling of Chip's for a while but I don't remember hearing anyone complain just a year earlier when Shady was tearing it up. Funny how in one year, you can go from being labeled as "special, with barry Sanderish moves and instincs and vision that you just can't teach" to "guess he's just getting old and doesn't run where Chip wants him to"
There were grumblings hat Chip was not a fan of it in 2013 either.
Seriously? Hard to believe a coach would criticize such a successful year. That's like John Fox saying "I'm really disappointed. I think Peyton left about 10 Tds out there on the field." It was a great season and when I think back on it, that kind of running is really what brought the CHIP KELLY mad scientist visions to the front stage.

Sure, people talked about snap counts and stuff, but every time you saw a highlight package of how the Eagles do this and how Shady and DJax put so much pressure with their speed, etc, it was all BECAUSE those two guys had such unique, shifty styles.

Honestly, if Murray comes out and rushes for 2100 and 19 TDS and looks like John Riggins incarnate doing it, that doesn't escalate the "Chip Kelly" vision of how we think of him. THat makes us think Joe Gibbs is in town. When we think of Chip, we want to see quick, quick, quick, stretch to one sie and the other, big homerun highlight stuff. I think he's gotten rid of every player he has that exemplifies that.

Translation: Scott Linehan is already scheming on ways to revert to his old ways and get Dez Bryant 130/1900/20 in 2015. It was all part of the master plan! Jerry sitting back like the star Wars emperor salivating at ways to turn loose his Death Star.
Speaking of Dez, kind of odd that no extension is done, no?

People should stop pointing to 2013. The addition of Sproles removed Shady's 3 down role. Last I checked, Sproles is still on the roster. The addition of Matthews will further dilute Murray's touches. This is a worst case scenario for Murray owners. Good for Philly, bad for fantasy.

I know it is easy to just lob hyperbolic statements like "this is the worst case scenario for Murray owners". I think OAK and JAX would have been, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

IMHO, of all the scenarios that were bandied about, this was my second favorite after staying in DAL with that OL and Offense.

I like Philly because they run more plays, they run the ball, he will (hopefully) GL carries, and Chip has so far shown he can keep his players healthy.

I know it is easy to just lob hyperbolic statements like "this is the worst case scenario for Murray owners". I think OAK and JAX would have been, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

IMHO, of all the scenarios that were bandied about, this was my second favorite after staying in DAL with that OL and Offense.

I like Philly because they run more plays, they run the ball, he will (hopefully) GL carries, and Chip has so far shown he can keep his players healthy.
at least in Oakland and Jacksonville he would have more workload for fantasy owners. this is obvious he loses tons of touches.

McCoy had 313 and 314 rushes the past two years.. which is just under 20/game

His receptions dropped last year from 52 to 29

I'm comfortable projecting Murray to get about 20 touches a game.

The number of RBs that will get more touches you can count on one hand.

It is true that is a drop off from the 393 rushes and 57 receptions, which was 28/game, but no one thinks that pace was sustainable even for one season, let alone two years in a row.

As a Murray owner, I'm not happy. The addition of Mathews cannot be overlooked. I think this will be more of a 65/45 split. Not good for either Philadelphia RB dynasty wise.

Dallas and PHI threw about the same number of passes to their RBs last year, but I would expect Sproles to carve out a significantly bigger piece of that pie than Dunbar was able to for as long as he remains on the roster (which may not be that long).

No idea what sort of workload split PHI is hoping for between Murray and Mathews, but wouldn't be surprised if it ends up about 230 to 130, with goal line looks going to whoever happens to be in when the team gets down there.

The fact that they went out and signed two guys to big contracts like this implies that they don't think very highly of Polk.

What a strange and terrible twist for fantasy players. Murray is no doubt the better back. He should still be the focal point. The main question to me is the arrival of Mathews an attempt to limit Murray's "pitch count?" Murray has an extensive injury history. Perhaps that's on the mind of Philly brass. Or, maybe they just feel they need a strong backup because Murray could go down at any time.

I see a 65/45 split. Offers i am receiving for Murray in sharky leagues are offering quite a bit less in return now, than the before the signing of Mathews.

It's interesting that Murray was in a full-blown RB split at OU under Bradford, and he and his backfield mate Chris Brown both ran for 1000 yards. Murray also has more versatility than he showed in Dallas. He would frequently line at both slot and wide receiver spots and run real routes.

While at OU, he rarely shared the field with Brown, and his positional movement was related to OU's tempo strategy and the ability go from 5-wide to power I without changing personnel. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Murray share the field a bit with Mathews in Philly and line up in some spots other than RB.

As a Murray owner, I'm not happy. The addition of Mathews cannot be overlooked. I think this will be more of a 65/45 split. Not good for either Philadelphia RB dynasty wise.
Sounds like the Leveon Bell/LaGarrette Blount stuff from last year. I expect people here will be as wrong on this one as they were on Bell/Blount.

Sounds like the Leveon Bell/LaGarrette Blount stuff from last year. I expect people here will be as wrong on this one as they were on Bell/Blount.
Blount's contract was nowhere near $11.5m. Big difference.

Good the Eagles will suck even more and won't have the cap to spend to get better. Yet another bad team getting worse. I am so glad the Cowboys brass seems to be getting smarter. The young Jones is taking over and it's showing.
:lol:

Good luck having teams respect the run.

:lol: Good luck having teams respect the run.
Sounds like Cowgirls butt hurt.

Who cares about the money. If the eagles think it fits the cap, then why the #### would I care once they're on the field.

On the field I really think Chip was pissed off about the 2 losses we had last year by 1 yard in SF and AZ. I don't know if they targeted Murray and Mathews right away or just fell into it but he got 2 solid backs. It tells me 400 carries is the floor. I think he'll try to push the 500 carry mark.

Murray 250

Mathews 200

Sproles 50

Somewhere in that range.

Users who are viewing this thread