What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone Benching Brady tonight? (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
If so, for whom?

His weapons are limited and its a short week vs an OK defense. His Thursday night W-L record is pretty good, but its hard to imagine him going over 300yrds and 3 TDs. And that's a high end prediction, I'd guess he'll be closer to 240yrd and 2 td.

Redraft, you probably have to roll with him. But those in a dynasty with some options are you going other routes tonight?

Benching him for Luck in a 10-teamer. Don't trust the Thurs game with no weapons. I'll probably roll w/ Luck until both Gronk & Amendola are back.

I'd sit Brady for any other top-12 option this week, but not a Rivers/Flacco/Bradford type.

I'm still considering it. A couple of days ago I was sure of I'd bench Brady. But I'm an early 9 point favorite, and Brady seems like the conservative play to get 20 points that I can sit on till Sunday. I still think my backup Terrelle Pryor is going to outscore him, but his higher ceiling comes with a lower floor. So I'm probably playing Brady tonight after all. But if it were an even matchup or I was the underdog, I'd not hesitate to start Pryor over Brady.

This feels a little assistant coach-ish.

But it would make sense to have some reservation about him. They played an insane 91 snaps last week and he threw it 52 times and still only produced fair QB numbers. Now Amendola and Vereen are out and the Jets are probably better than the Bills on defense.

sitting him for stafford, but I feel dirty
Who'd you rob to land both in the same league?

On topic, starting with confidence.
it was an auction and I way overpaid at the position because I wanted brady but had already bought stafford for reasonable money.

I actually got caught bidding vick up and got him on the cheap, too, but I don't want to take the chance he pulls his groin in the first qtr.

had to buy my bench at the dollar store.

I don't want to live in a world where Brady isn't startable. He has something like a 16/3 TD/INT over the past 3 years against the Jets. You guys are nuts.

v 259/2

@ 323/3 (+1)

v 321/1

@ 329/3

@ 248/2

v 326/4

v 299/2

last 3 yrs -- now he's throwing to edelman and some scrubby rookies

I don't want to live in a world where Brady isn't startable. He has something like a 16/3 TD/INT over the past 3 years against the Jets. You guys are nuts.
No one said he isn't startable. But the fact is that it is 2013, not the last 3 years. His weapons are limited right now, he is playing on TNF (which last year seemed to produce lower than normal point totals), and if you have a better option, you should consider it. That doesn't make one "nuts." If I had Stafford (or even Vick) as one poster does, I'd strongly consider it. Ultimately, my backup options aren't good enough for me to bench him, but if I had another QB1 option with a better matchup, it would be "nuts" to not consider it.

I'm still considering it. A couple of days ago I was sure of I'd bench Brady. But I'm an early 9 point favorite, and Brady seems like the conservative play to get 20 points that I can sit on till Sunday. I still think my backup Terrelle Pryor is going to outscore him, but his higher ceiling comes with a lower floor. So I'm probably playing Brady tonight after all. But if it were an even matchup or I was the underdog, I'd not hesitate to start Pryor over Brady.
c'mon.... where's the :homer: pride in that? dont you wanna live a little? head out on the open road with nothing but a bike and the wind in your hair?

He also had Gronk, Welker and Hernandez in all of those games (or at least two of them in every game). Much different now throwing to Edelman, a bunch of rookies and not much else.

I am confident he can still find a way to get 240+ yards and a score or two, but his upside this week does appear very limited.

I'm thinking Brady is going to suck tonight and the Jets are gonna give them everything they can handle, but I still can't bring myself to bench him.

He also had Gronk, Welker and Hernandez in all of those games (or at least two of them in every game). Much different now throwing to Edelman, a bunch of rookies and not much else.

I am confident he can still find a way to get 240+ yards and a score or two, but his upside this week does appear very limited.
I'm not saying that there aren't reasons for not benching him. (I really didn't mean people are nuts) I just think he's proven that he puts up numbers despite his teammates. I expect a 350/3 day for him.

The patriots will easily have ball control for the game and I picture Brady scoring often and never letting up due to the hatred the patriots have for the jets, and not to mention brady has a history of running up the score regardless of who he plays. Starting brady with confidence this week.

The patriots will easily have ball control for the game and I picture Brady scoring often and never letting up due to the hatred the patriots have for the jets, and not to mention brady has a history of running up the score regardless of who he plays. Starting brady with confidence this week.
Saw your other posts around here, real gems.

Brady meet bench.

Saw your other posts around here, real gems.

Brady meet bench.
Coming from a guy that promotes little kids acting violent I am not concerned

I'm not saying that there aren't reasons for not benching him. (I really didn't mean people are nuts) I just think he's proven that he puts up numbers despite his teammates. I expect a 350/3 day for him.
Generally speaking I agree that Brady can put up numbers despite his teammates, but tonight might be the worst teammates he's ever had to throw to in his career. Julian Edelman, Kenbrell Thompkins, Josh Boyce, Michael Hoomanawanui, and Zach Sudfeld are his top 5 targets for this game, it doesn't get much worse in the entire league than that.

Generally speaking I agree that Brady can put up numbers despite his teammates, but tonight might be the worst teammates he's ever had to throw to in his career. Julian Edelman, Kenbrell Thompkins, Josh Boyce, Michael Hoomanawanui, and Zach Sudfeld are his top 5 targets for this game, it doesn't get much worse in the entire league than that.
is sudfeld playing?

how is it possible that after years of suffering through reche caldwell, et al, watching manning get fat on harrison, clark and wayne, brady finally has the likes of moss, welker, hernandez, and gronk to throw to, but one morning I wake up and he's throwing to this box of rocks while manning's got welker, decker, and thomas x 2?

what happened??

is sudfeld playing?

how is it possible that after years of suffering through reche caldwell, et al, watching manning get fat on harrison, clark and wayne, brady finally has the likes of moss, welker, hernandez, and gronk to throw to, but one morning I wake up and he's throwing to this box of rocks while manning's got welker, decker, and thomas x 2?

what happened??
Manning was able to choose the team he went to. He basically was able to look at the NFL franchises, and choose the situation he thought was best for him. Having Decker and Thomas was big, and perhaps he saw the talent in J Thomas. Then he recruited players he wanted (Stokely, Tamme, Welker).

Brady, on the other hand, was/is at the whim of BB. I agree with cutting Hernandez, but according to Welker, part of the reason he left NE is b/c he was tired of playing for BB, and BB actually started to single him out for criticism/ridicule last year.

I am sitting him down so he can pee.

I do think he will not be top 10 this week and would sit him in most leagues pending your options.

Tom Brady at No. 8. Looks scary, doesn’t it? I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel some hesitation at ranking Tom Terrific so low, but the fact is, on paper that might be generous. Missing Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez and Wes Welker, Brady didn’t get into a rhythm in Sunday’s win over the Bills until he started zeroing in on Shane Vereen and Danny Amendola. So naturally, both are going to miss this evening’s grudge match with the Jets. Brady did his best to form a rapport with rookie Kenbrell Thompkins Sunday, but Thompkins rewarded him by corralling just 4-of-14 targets, and failing to make plays on a number of catchable passes. Perhaps it was the undrafted free agent’s nerves at work, but it’s hard to see things getting any better with shutdown corner Antonio Cromartie likely to follow him all over the field in Foxboro. That leaves Julian Edelman as the one player Brady can truly trust against Gang Green. Who knows, maybe Brady will find him for 15 catches, 225 yards, another two touchdowns and all the fantasy glory his owners could ever desire. But more than likely, Brady’s supporting cast is going to necessitate he do something he’s scarcely done since Randy Moss and Josh McDaniels came to town: Win more as a game manager than gunslinger. Brady is a player you never bench, but this week, you better temper your expectations.
I think I'm going to pass on Brady tonight. He didn't put up great numbers in week one and tonight just seems like the perfect storm working against him. With the limited upside, I'll roll the dice on a Romo or Cutler this week.

for those rolling with pryor -- I think the jags are missing both starting corners this week

which means they'll be playing jags at the position <-- had to edit that in

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine, you guys want to miss out on two 80 yard bombs to Dobson and Boyce, and another buck fifty and two to Thompkins, be my guest.

Starting Eli vs the Broncos. Boom or bust. Brady needs to prove that he can do it with this personnel before I pass up a juicy matchup like that. The Pats/Jets game may not be high scoring and with 3 of Brady's weapons down it seems like the logical play to sit Brady. I'm going to enjoy watching the game tonight and hope Brady proves me wrong. I look for this game to answer a lot of questions about the rookie WRs tonight.

Mildly considering benching Brady for Vick.

Do. Not. Like.

Weather looks like a non factor, save for 15mph winds and a 30-minute window around 10:15est that could produce a storm (TWC). Feel better about Vick than I would Pryor or Palmer, but I think, in the end, I'll go against the logical play and ride the horse until he drops.

It's not like he's going to turn into Christian Ponder, after all.

Mildly considering benching Brady for Vick.

Do. Not. Like.

Weather looks like a non factor, save for 15mph winds and a 30-minute window around 10:15est that could produce a storm (TWC). Feel better about Vick than I would Pryor or Palmer, but I think, in the end, I'll go against the logical play and ride the horse until he drops.

It's not like he's going to turn into Christian Ponder, after all.
Go with Vick, for sho.

is sudfeld playing?
CSN New England reports Patriots TE Zach Sudfeld is expected to be inactive for Thursday's game against the Jets.
apparently not

Who does Tom Brady have tonight? Edelman & Ridley, and Thompkins and who else? How's he supposed to put up 250/2 with that crew and how can you parse it up to make sense without all those guys having career games? I think Brady owners have to look at the weapons, do a zero sum balance and reign in expectations, ultimately looking for better options. For tonight only.

Who does Tom Brady have tonight? Edelman & Ridley, and Thompkins and who else? How's he supposed to put up 250/2 with that crew and how can you parse it up to make sense without all those guys having career games? I think Brady owners have to look at the weapons, do a zero sum balance and reign in expectations, ultimately looking for better options. For tonight only.
Tempering expectations is one thing, but 250/2 isn't a stretch by any means. Forget the names ... he's still got a stable of 3-4 wides that will see the field, a couple TEs and backs, respectively. These guys can still run one cut slants and/or outs in that offense and compile a bunch of 8-10 yard catches. If 5-50 spread out across 4-5 guys makes for career nights, so be it. Still willing to bet someone steps up and rolls 6-90-1 or better to go along with some average numbers across the board. Like Marino and Elway, Brady will help average receivers overachieve a bit in that offense, and it's not like the starters all went out this afternoon.

While not a great deal, they've had some time to prepare for this instance.

25-38 250 & 2 is absolutely doable for Brady. The only thing that scares me a bit is a stray INT or two from blown routes.

I'm starting him over Vick with confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did Geno throw for 256 yards with Hill, Winslow and Holmes?

There have been much worse QBs who have been able to to put up numbers with comparable WR corps.

There have been much worse QBs who have been able to to put up numbers with comparable WR corps.
Not saying Brady can't get to 250/2. Just think that's his approaching his ceiling, while there are many other starting QB's that can post comparable fantasy points at that floor. I believe he's got limited upside, and very real downside if things don't click tonight, the weather turns sour, or the Jets defense plays inspired.

Latest weather channel update now shows 0% precip during game hours at Gillette's zip code.

Interesting point about 250/2 being Brady's ceiling and "many" other QBs seeing that as a floor. Considering this thread is about benching Brady over the backups, here are some of the options we've been discussing in this thread ...

Pryor

Vick

Palmer

Eli

Dalton

Tannehill

EJ

Henne

Geno

Now, please tell me for whom of the above players you see 250/2 as a solid floor? I can make a weak case for one, possibly two with a stretch. Keep in mind you said floor, which is worst-case scenario.

Which of the above can you make an honest case for over Brady, other than a logical hunch based on injury?

He's still going to throw the ball, and while he may have a pick or two for his troubles, I still trust his decision-making over everyone else on this list.

Considered benching him for Russel Wilson(dynasty), but not going to get too cute. I'm betting the Pats O will make adjustments and score 3-4x, with Brady getting 2 of those.

It's games like this one that define the Pats dynasty...Maximum productivity with limited resources.

Latest weather channel update now shows 0% precip during game hours at Gillette's zip code.

Interesting point about 250/2 being Brady's ceiling and "many" other QBs seeing that as a floor. Considering this thread is about benching Brady over the backups, here are some of the options we've been discussing in this thread ...

Pryor

Vick

Palmer

Eli

Dalton

Tannehill

EJ

Henne

Geno

Now, please tell me for whom of the above players you see 250/2 as a solid floor? I can make a weak case for one, possibly two with a stretch. Keep in mind you said floor, which is worst-case scenario.

Which of the above can you make an honest case for over Brady, other than a logical hunch based on injury?

He's still going to throw the ball, and while he may have a pick or two for his troubles, I still trust his decision-making over everyone else on this list.
Pryor can throw for 180/1 and rush for 90/1 and he'll easily outscore a 250/2 QB who posts no running numbers. I don't think that's an out of left field prediction at home against a very poor secondary and defense that got rolled on last week. Apples to oranges comparison I know, but roll up the points and they all count the same.

Probably being to cute here but I think I am going Bradford over Brady. Nothing against Brady but more about personnel around him.

Pryor is the one I'd make a weak case for, but it's based on what appears to be a favorable match-up and a ridiculously small sample size.

That said, to say he can do something /= worst-case scenario.

Smack aside, I think history might be influencing your thought process a bit more than you realize. Tuck those thoughts away, friendo.

Bradford certainly can muddy the water and allow you to talk yourself into and out of clicking buttons.

If he's abysmal tonight and your guy blows up for 700/12, congrats. I'll still trust my gut here.

I won't be the last rat off the Brady ship when it finally sinks, but I'm at least going to see some water over the rails before putting on a vest.

point taken, but those are three former early round draft picks, so they have some talent.

Brady has a handful of guys with less than a full game of NFL experience. Great that Brady can get them the ball, but what about their routes and run blocking? It only takes one rookie mistake to ruin a drive and a couple to lose a game.

ahhh can't do it. Homerism aside the dude could throw for 250 and 2 to the ball boys... If he goes for 350 and 3 or better and I don't play him? nahhh

Users who are viewing this thread