What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else lose because of the QB/WR designation (1 Viewer)

A bush league move. Any real Commish makes sure this loophole get's closed.

If not...I would never play in that league again.

No class or integrity. Just plain old BS.

My keeper league gives a point per COMPLETION for qb's (been trying to get it changed for years). I brought up the webb issue 2 weeks ago, but the commish did nothing and the guy who picked him up played him. He only won last week because of webb but he won in a blowout this week. He'll almost certainly win the title next week as well.

IMO, playing him at WR in this league (by FBG's projections, webb was predicted to more than double the scoring of the #1 projected WR last week) was a bush league move and against the spirit of the rules.

it didn't affect me at all (I lost to someone else last week and the webb owner was on the other side of the bracket anyways) but this was the last straw for me in this league. We have some bad rules and nobody wants to be proactive and change them. So this will be my last year in the league.

I wouldn't say that any commish who let this go is bad, but in a league like mine it was absolutely inexcusable

Oh well, it is what it is. I would have never used that loophole, but I guess some guys want to win at all costs. Like I said, our QB scoring is such that an average game from a QB will get you 20+ points where an average game from a WR will get you more like 10. 14 of the top 15 scorers were QBs. The highest scoring QB in our league was Brees with 424 (26.5/game). The highest scoring WR in our league was Roddy White with 243 (15.2/game).

Last edited by a moderator:
Any commish that would allow Webb to be started as a WR tonight is a total tool and I would drop out of that league immediately.
I would never play in a league that over-values QBs so much that Webb's performance tonight was a game-breaker195 yds passing31 yds rushing1 rush TDWhat's so unusual about that point total for a WR?
Because that was basically Webbs floor tonight, and would be a very good game for the best WR's.
Not in my league. That's an 8 point night.You guy's would've been screwed if he actually played a good WR this week, like Jerome Simpson
8pts? what wack-### rules do you play with?

bunch of poor losers in this thread.
Webb owner. :goodposting: Didn't play against Webb this week, and I still think being able to plug him in at WR is lame. I don't blame those who did because apparently everyone had this opportunity to pick him up and do the same thing. I think Yahoo or other sites are lame for letting this happen.Sportsline didn't have this issue. Webb was a QB only. And no, I am not a CBS groupie. Plenty of other issues here, but our league is so entrenched that we don't want to change.As an aside, I recall there was an issue like this with Kordell Stewart (Slash) a number of years ago, but he actually lined up at RB and WR during different points in the game one season (rookie year?). However, the next year, he was a QB only and became exposed as a mediocre QB.

Webb owner. :lmao: Didn't play against Webb this week, and I still think being able to plug him in at WR is lame. I don't blame those who did because apparently everyone had this opportunity to pick him up and do the same thing. I think Yahoo or other sites are lame for letting this happen.Sportsline didn't have this issue. Webb was a QB only. And no, I am not a CBS groupie. Plenty of other issues here, but our league is so entrenched that we don't want to change.As an aside, I recall there was an issue like this with Kordell Stewart (Slash) a number of years ago, but he actually lined up at RB and WR during different points in the game one season (rookie year?). However, the next year, he was a QB only and became exposed as a mediocre QB.
i am a webb owner but i haven't put him in my starting lineup once this year. still people need to stop crying. webb has been listed as a wr all year on yahoo. you missed the boat. don't cry to us.

Oh well, it is what it is. I would have never used that loophole, but I guess some guys want to win at all costs. Like I said, our QB scoring is such that an average game from a QB will get you 20+ points where an average game from a WR will get you more like 10. 14 of the top 15 scorers were QBs. The highest scoring QB in our league was Brees with 424 (26.5/game). The highest scoring WR in our league was Roddy White with 243 (15.2/game).
playing by the rules <> winning at all costs

Any commish that would allow Webb to be started as a WR tonight is a total tool and I would drop out of that league immediately.
I would never play in a league that over-values QBs so much that Webb's performance tonight was a game-breaker195 yds passing31 yds rushing1 rush TDWhat's so unusual about that point total for a WR?
Because that was basically Webbs floor tonight, and would be a very good game for the best WR's.
Not in my league. That's an 8 point night.You guy's would've been screwed if he actually played a good WR this week, like Jerome Simpson
It's probably a td heavy league.He would of only scored 9 points in one of my leagues if we hadn't changed the rules 2 years ago:td < 50 yards = 5 points25 - 49 yards rushing = 1 point150 - 199 yards passing = 3 points

Oh BS. It would not be an issue if the league that allowed such BS did the "right" thing.It's called exploiting a loophole. That is cheap, bush and lacks all integrity.I am so glad I know that I do not play with tools like that.Sore losers.Get the F*** out of here with that lame post.

Webb owner. :no: Didn't play against Webb this week, and I still think being able to plug him in at WR is lame. I don't blame those who did because apparently everyone had this opportunity to pick him up and do the same thing. I think Yahoo or other sites are lame for letting this happen.Sportsline didn't have this issue. Webb was a QB only. And no, I am not a CBS groupie. Plenty of other issues here, but our league is so entrenched that we don't want to change.As an aside, I recall there was an issue like this with Kordell Stewart (Slash) a number of years ago, but he actually lined up at RB and WR during different points in the game one season (rookie year?). However, the next year, he was a QB only and became exposed as a mediocre QB.
Exactly and before the season started in my league that year (gosh I remember playing in only one league...gotta back to that) the commish and league laid out the rules regarding Slash.It is really simple. A good commish would not allow a web site quirk to ruin a season for someone and not allow a tool to exploit the glitch. He was not playing WR and that is lineup integrity.

How often do you see the NFL change the rules in the middle of the season? Why would a Comish of a fantasy league change the rules?

It seems to me the the people who pay close attention to all NFL players and who is going to start should be rewarded. This is the perfect example.

I am the comish and I did start him as a WR. Good thing because Kitna went down and he made up the extra points.

Either way I won by 16 points and he only got me 15.

Everyone should have known about this loophole as the Shark Pool has been talking about it for several weeks. If you didn't pick the guy up, that's on you.

Oh BS. It would not be an issue if the league that allowed such BS did the "right" thing.It's called exploiting a loophole. That is cheap, bush and lacks all integrity.I am so glad I know that I do not play with tools like that.Sore losers.Get the F*** out of here with that lame post.
Unless you have league rules already in place that address this specific type of situation, and thus prevent a player from being used at multiple positions, there's absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring and playing players like Joe Webb. IT'S NOT A LOOPHOLE.If you have a problem with this, then make a rule change for next season. Easy solution.If ever there was a thread for this, :bag: it's this one.

Starting 2 QBs in the championship game with our scoring is bush league. This is a friends league where having a good time together doing something we all enjoy was supposedly the priority. I'm really not disappointed about losing, I'm really disappointed that someone in our league would choose to try to win like this. People have pointed out that I had the same opportunity to pick up and start Webb. That's right, I did have that opportunity. But I'd never want to win like that. And I'm sure that the majority of the other owners in our league would feel the same way.

Starting 2 QBs in the championship game with our scoring is bush league. This is a friends league where having a good time together doing something we all enjoy was supposedly the priority. I'm really not disappointed about losing, I'm really disappointed that someone in our league would choose to try to win like this. People have pointed out that I had the same opportunity to pick up and start Webb. That's right, I did have that opportunity. But I'd never want to win like that. And I'm sure that the majority of the other owners in our league would feel the same way.
You're really sounding like an immature crybaby. You could have picked him up and kept him on your bench. What your opponent did was perfectly fair.

Unless you have league rules already in place that address this specific type of situation, and thus prevent a player from being used at multiple positions, there's absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring and playing players like Joe Webb. IT'S NOT A LOOPHOLE.If you have a problem with this, then make a rule change for next season. Easy solution.If ever there was a thread for this, :mellow: it's this one.
Well thats the thing. All leagues I am in address these things before they arise (first off MFL does not this crap get by they will designate him a QB).So yes I agree to an extent it is the leagues duty to make it known you can only start a player at the position they are truly playing in. However I can't understand why a commish with integrity would allow this double dipping of a lineup. I just feel for guys who faced this unjust situation.Things are not black and white all the time. You need leadership to overcome willful blindness.

You're really sounding like an immature crybaby. You could have picked him up and kept him on your bench. What your opponent did was perfectly fair.
If his league allowed it absolutely.My gripe is any league that did allow it is no league I would ever play in, And it says a lot about some of the owners and especially the commish.

That's it. Off my soap box.

My opponent essentially got to start 2 QBs in our championship game and our scoring is QB heavy. His extra points were the margin of victory.Anyone else lose because of this? Can't believe our commish didn't step in and make him only QB eligible since he was clearly only playing QB tonight. :thumbup:
Just guessing that if Webb was on YOUR roster this post would never have materializedALL leagues deal with the positional designations as posted by the host site/league rulesGet over it for this year and if you want propose a rule change for your league for next year........your league's commissioner did NOT have the authority to make that change on his own if there was no league rule to base it on.

This is pretty simple. People want to knock Yahoo for this, but IMO, none of this is on Yahoo. They designate positions at the beginning of the year, and explicitly state (and have for years) that they will NOT change their designations at any point. It makes sense, because if you draft/pickup a player hoping to play him at one position and their designation changes midway through the year, owners of these players would be pretty pissed. If you have a problem with this, don't play Yahoo. It is a pretty damn good site, miles above other free sites, and not far behind many paid sites.

If you didn't want Webb to played at QB, you should have spoken up about it at the beginning of the year. To say he shouldn't be QB eligible at this point in the season, is completely off base, and reeks of poor sportsmanship. Multiple designation players have been around for a LONG time, and more than a few have been big pickups (Colston as the obvious one, his rookie year). If your league doesn't have a rule setup for this, that is YOUR fault, no one else's.

That aside, I have been on both sides of the coin. I will most likely be playing against Webb in Week 17 (long standing tradition, don't see the point in cutting year short). But, I have also started Woodhead for multiple weeks this year. No one complained when I started Woodhead at WR, why should I complain that my opponent is doing the same with Webb?

All of these people complaining about bush league this, and poor sports that, have completely missed the point. If you didn't like the multiple designations, you should have spoken up before Week 1 of this season, not when your opponent picked him up and started him vs. you. The bush league thing here is being a crybaby about it after the fact. Webb was a HUGE gamble for people in championship games, and in all honesty, I congratulate people that had the balls to throw him out there.

Word to the wise, if you play on Yahoo, go through and check all the slash players before the year starts. If you have a problem with any designations, bring it up then and have it be a league decision -- that way everyone knows how it stands. If you didn't do that, than you didn't do your due diligence.

My gripe is any league that did allow it is no league I would ever play in, And it says a lot about some of the owners and especially the commish.
This is the problem here, Webb was drafted to play QB and WR. In fact, he took snaps at WR before he tooks snaps at QB. So you are telling me, that Yahoo shouldn't have designated him as a WR at the start of the year, when NO ONE knew how exactly he was going to be used? BS. Owners should take every opportunity they have within the rules to win, if you aren't why the hell are you playing? And as for the commish, you really expect a commish to say this guy is off limits when he has been designated that way for the whole year? That is much more bush league, than someone playing Webb at WR. Trying to call out Yahoo, the owners, and commissioners, here is just silly. If it was known from the beginning, everyone had an equal opportunity to pick him up and play him, what is the matter? If a commissioner told me I couldn't play him at WR, even though he was listed as such, I would quit on the spot. The commish should have no powers over player designation, the league should have no power over player designation, during the season, and that is a good thing.And for the record, I play at MFL as well, and have seen players with either an incorrect designation or multiple designations, and here is their approach:
Why is a player listed at the wrong position?Answer: We use Rotoworld.com as our official source for all player positions. While we have full confidence in their classification of players, some players (especially defensive players) play at multiple positions, making classification more difficult.We synchronize our player positions to match the Rotoworld.com depth charts during the preseason. Then after the season starts, we generally don't make site-wide position changes, so it is up to your league commissioner to decide how to handle position changes after the season starts.Regardless of how Rotoworld.com has a player position listed, the commissioner can use the For Commissioners > Setup > Players and Rosters > Change Player Position option to over-ride any of our default positions with positions that you think are more appropriate for your league.
So basically the same thing as Yahoo, they set the lineups at the start of the year, and don't touch them the rest. Granted, MFL is much more customizable than Yahoo, and allows the Commish to change designations, but at the same time, if that isn't/wasn't done before the season, then it shouldn't be done during, either.

If his league allowed it absolutely.My gripe is any league that did allow it is no league I would ever play in, And it says a lot about some of the owners and especially the commish.

That's it. Off my soap box.
I'm the commish of a Yahoo league that allowed Webb to play as a QB or a WR. I agree that it isn't ideal, but I wasn't about to change the rules during the last two weeks of the season. I'd rather play in a league that lets players start at multiple positions than one where the commish changes the rules in Week 15.

Oh....where is that icon... I can't seem to find it.... HERE IT IS! :shrug:
Yeah, I know, nobody who wasn't affected by this cares, but it's kind of a bitter pill to swallow. I just think it ruins the integrity of the league. Like I said, our QB scoring is very different than other positions and starting a 2nd QB is a huge advantage. Had I been the commish I would have not allowed him to be used at WR. Just stinks to lose like that.
Had you been the savvy owner you would have picked him up.I didn't lose to him but if my commish did anything like you said I would have demanded my money back from 4 years ago when the winner started colston all season at TE.

CrossEyed said:
People have pointed out that I had the same opportunity to pick up and start Webb. That's right, I did have that opportunity. But I'd never want to win like that.
And you didn't. You got exactly what you wanted.

Todem said:
Dexter Manley said:
Todem said:
thehornet said:
Oh BS.

It would not be an issue if the league that allowed such BS did the "right" thing.

It's called exploiting a loophole. That is cheap, bush and lacks all integrity.

I am so glad I know that I do not play with tools like that.

Sore losers.

Get the F*** out of here with that lame post.
Unless you have league rules already in place that address this specific type of situation, and thus prevent a player from being used at multiple positions, there's absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring and playing players like Joe Webb. IT'S NOT A LOOPHOLE.If you have a problem with this, then make a rule change for next season. Easy solution.

If ever there was a thread for this, ;) it's this one.
Well thats the thing. All leagues I am in address these things before they arise (first off MFL does not this crap get by they will designate him a QB).

So yes I agree to an extent it is the leagues duty to make it known you can only start a player at the position they are truly playing in.

However I can't understand why a commish with integrity would allow this double dipping of a lineup.

I just feel for guys who faced this unjust situation.

Things are not black and white all the time. You need leadership to overcome willful blindness.
Because a commish WITH INTEGRITY (not a guy like Goodell but that's for another thread) is not going to change the rules, which have been in place all season (and were agreed upon by the league before the season started), on the fly (in the playoffs no less) just because one or more owners cry about something they don't like. And doing the just thing is often about doing the unpopular thing. I'm sure in many leagues (if not most) the easiest and most popular thing to do would be to change the rules and not allow the Webb owner to start him at wr, because it would only piss off the Webb owner. But any commish doing that would be unjust and acting unethically (unless every owner in the league unanimously approved of the change).

Todem said:
Dexter Manley said:
Todem said:
thehornet said:
Oh BS.

It would not be an issue if the league that allowed such BS did the "right" thing.

Sore losers.

Unless you have league rules already in place that address this specific type of situation, and thus prevent a player from being used at multiple positions, there's absolutely nothing wrong with acquiring and playing players like Joe Webb. IT'S NOT A LOOPHOLE.If you have a problem with this, then make a rule change for next season. Easy solution.

If ever there was a thread for this, :wub: it's this one.
Well thats the thing. All leagues I am in address these things before they arise (first off MFL does not this crap get by they will designate him a QB).

So yes I agree to an extent it is the leagues duty to make it known you can only start a player at the position they are truly playing in.

However I can't understand why a commish with integrity would allow this double dipping of a lineup.

Things are not black and white all the time. You need leadership to overcome willful blindness.
Because a commish WITH INTEGRITY (not a guy like Goodell but that's for another thread) is not going to change the rules, which have been in place all season (and were agreed upon by the league before the season started), on the fly (in the playoffs no less) just because one or more owners cry about something they don't like. And doing the just thing is often about doing the unpopular thing. I'm sure in many leagues (if not most) the easiest and most popular thing to do would be to change the rules and not allow the Webb owner to start him at wr, because it would only piss off the Webb owner. But any commish doing that would be unjust and acting unethically (unless every owner in the league unanimously approved of the change).
:mellow: As easy as it is to throw attacks at the guy who started Webb, any commish who would change the rules in the middle of the season is committing an act of far more ethical questioning than starting Webb at WR is.

You don't fix an ethical question by commiting an even bigger act of ethical question. But if the Webb owner is the only person who would complain about it, the commish will get away with it none the less.

You know what makes me sad?

You do. Why don't we mosey on over to Namby Pamby land and get you some self-confidence. You Jackwagon!!

YOu lost because the other team scored more points than your team. Period. End of story. Stop reading. Seriously. Its over. Loser.

CrossEyed said:
wildbill said:
CrossEyed said:
You don't have to win by playing Webb. A good gm picks up Webb so others can't play him. You didn't cover yourself so even if we all agreed it was bush league it's still on you for not picking up Webb and benching him.

The league rules are clear to all and the same for all. He was never expected to play a down this season, so your opponent only got him via the Waiver Wire. Everybody had the same opportunity to do that, and if you used your waiver priority to grab someone, or just didn't have the foresight to see Webb's availability, then that's your loss. It's no different to grabbing Brandon Jackson when Grant went down, or Kitna when Romo went IR.

I know I won't get any sympathy from those who say it is unethical, but the Yahoo assignments are there for all to see at the start of the season. You use the rules of the game that's laid out before you. You can't criticise your opponent for his move which was perfectly legal, and available to anyone else to do. It's harsh of course when it's playoff weeks, but one of the problems might be from scoring QBs too heavy. Perhaps you could look at this next year?

For those on the "unethical" wagon .. this might amuse you. I picked up Webb with the option to play him in the Minny vs Bears MNF game, only for the Vikes to go with Favre at the last minute. Fortunately, I covered my bases by grabbing Devin Hester as a Monday night WR option, had Gerhart to replace the inactive ADP, and also the Bears D in case Webb played a real stinker. Webb not starting was fine by me, I could play Hester and Gerhart in my flex spots, but for Webb to then replace Favre in the second qtr and start taking carries away from Gerhart was a real killer that probably cost me the game in a playoff matchup that I lost by a single point. "Justice renders to every one his due"? :rolleyes:

Todem said:
Dexter Manley said:
Todem said:
thehornet said:
Oh BS.

Sore losers.

If ever there was a thread for this, :goodposting: it's this one.

:goodposting: x2

I think people really get confused by the term "commish". To some it implies that one person somehow has the authority to act outside the bounds of the established rules.

Really a better term for the job would be "secretary" as predominately that role should be organization and data entry.

To each their own, but if one individual was trying to alter the rules in my league to fit their paradigm when those rules had already been agreed upon by all....I would not be in that league again next season.

This may have been Yahoo specific too, but does anyone remember Julian Edelman carrying the QB/WR split designation last year? Wes Welker got hurt before the 2nd game of the season and Edelman was a hot WW pickup. I was in a league where someone grabbed Edelman and then used him in the QB slot during week 2, as his QB situation was already a mess. Edelman rewarded him with 8 catches for 98 yards (no TDs) which equated to average QB numbers in that system. I didn't have a problem with it and thought it was a pretty good move, although I did think he would have been better off just starting him at the flex WR spot and then using one of his true QBs, and hoping for a better game from them (I remember his QBs did end up being pretty bad, so it worked out for him).

Point being...if the situation for Webb was reversed (people started him at QB but he was the Vikes slot receiver), would anyone have a problem with it? Let's assume a similar scoring system where a 17 pt WR game falls in line with average points out of a QB, which is the opposite of what we have in the real life situation where an average QB game would be above average to great for a WR.

You know what makes me sad?You do. Why don't we mosey on over to Namby Pamby land and get you some self-confidence. You Jackwagon!!YOu lost because the other team scored more points than your team. Period. End of story. Stop reading. Seriously. Its over. Loser.
OK, this made me laugh. :bowtie:

MG345 said:
This is pretty simple. People want to knock Yahoo for this, but IMO, none of this is on Yahoo. They designate positions at the beginning of the year, and explicitly state (and have for years) that they will NOT change their designations at any point.
I'm a guy who started Webb this week (and nearly dug myself out of a deep hole to win the championship because of it), so I'm definitely not in the "unethical" camp. I think you play within the rules of the site, and agree to any deviations from those rules at the start of the season.Having said that, I'm not sure we should be letting Yahoo off the hook. Why the hell shouldn't they change their designations mid-season? You say owners of such players would be "pissed". Well, sure, who wouldn't be pissed if they lost an advantage they previously held?. But that's hardly the standard; as this thread demonstrates, not changing designations pisses off plenty of owners as well.I suppose one could come up with some hypothetical scenario where changing the current policy might cause headaches. But of course, there are similar anomalies under the status quo. In fact, here's a non-hypothetical that actually happened last year:After I lost Owen Daniels, I was shopping around for a new TE and wanted to learn more about Spencer Havner, who seemed to be getting some red-zone looks for the Packers. The only problem? He was a converted LB, and under Yahoo's rules, there was no way to even pick him up in my non-IDP league. Now, as it happened, Finley returned and Havner soon faded back into obscurity, but imagine if he had become a fantasy star yet had remained unrosterable. I suppose that's "fair", since every team would be equally disadvantaged, but it's still a completely ridiculous situation.

CrossEyed said:
wildbill said:
CrossEyed said:
:link: Seriously, get off your high horse.

MG345 said:
This is pretty simple. People want to knock Yahoo for this, but IMO, none of this is on Yahoo. They designate positions at the beginning of the year, and explicitly state (and have for years) that they will NOT change their designations at any point.
I'm a guy who started Webb this week (and nearly dug myself out of a deep hole to win the championship because of it), so I'm definitely not in the "unethical" camp. I think you play within the rules of the site, and agree to any deviations from those rules at the start of the season.Having said that, I'm not sure we should be letting Yahoo off the hook. Why the hell shouldn't they change their designations mid-season? You say owners of such players would be "pissed". Well, sure, who wouldn't be pissed if they lost an advantage they previously held?. But that's hardly the standard; as this thread demonstrates, not changing designations pisses off plenty of owners as well.I suppose one could come up with some hypothetical scenario where changing the current policy might cause headaches. But of course, there are similar anomalies under the status quo. In fact, here's a non-hypothetical that actually happened last year:After I lost Owen Daniels, I was shopping around for a new TE and wanted to learn more about Spencer Havner, who seemed to be getting some red-zone looks for the Packers. The only problem? He was a converted LB, and under Yahoo's rules, there was no way to even pick him up in my non-IDP league. Now, as it happened, Finley returned and Havner soon faded back into obscurity, but imagine if he had become a fantasy star yet had remained unrosterable. I suppose that's "fair", since every team would be equally disadvantaged, but it's still a completely ridiculous situation.
I agree that Yahoo's policy is stupid. If a players primary position clearly changes, the designation for that player should change. Something like this creates a hassle for commissioners of leagues, and probably ended some leagues because of disputes. Because the more I think about it, I can see arguments made for both sides and it's a tough position for a commish to be put in.

MG345 said:
All of these people complaining about bush league this, and poor sports that, have completely missed the point. If you didn't like the multiple designations, you should have spoken up before Week 1 of this season, not when your opponent picked him up and started him vs. you. The bush league thing here is being a crybaby about it after the fact. Webb was a HUGE gamble for people in championship games, and in all honesty, I congratulate people that had the balls to throw him out there.
In some cases (my league for example) there was almost no risk in starting Webb. Barring a first quarter injury, there was a very good chance he would outscore every WR in the league this week. There was almost no chance he wasn't going to put WR3 type numbers at worst.Again, this is a flaw in my league's scoring system (again, have tried to change it for years) and the decision by yahoo to give him WR/QB eligibility, not the guy who played him. But considering that the league is just for fun and has been running for like 10 years now, i guess i just expected the guy to take the high road and not exploit an obvious loophole. He chose to play the guy at WR, and it will almost certainly win him the league. If that's something he wants to take pride in, then good for him :mellow:

Hipple said:
6 pts for a TD1 pt for rushing yardage (1pt/25 yds)1 pt for passing yardage (1pt/100 yds)-----8 ptsI don't believe that rushing for 75 yds is more valuable than reaching the end zone. Never have, never will.

Todem said:
A bush league move. Any real Commish makes sure this loophole get's closed.If not...I would never play in that league again.No class or integrity. Just plain old BS.
:unsure:and to expand, I am making sure a rule gets written by commish before next season to cover a computer glitch allowing this to even come close to happening. it's not like Webb was a slash or a multipurpose player, he was a flat our QB, no if ands or buts.A commish who allows a team to start 2 QBs is a commish that needs to step down

Having said that, I'm not sure we should be letting Yahoo off the hook. Why the hell shouldn't they change their designations mid-season? You say owners of such players would be "pissed". Well, sure, who wouldn't be pissed if they lost an advantage they previously held?. But that's hardly the standard; as this thread demonstrates, not changing designations pisses off plenty of owners as well.
The difference here is they have it set one way from the start, and everyone started from the same page. It isn't like he was listed as WR, and then changed to QB/WR. People getting upset about it now =/= people getting upset about them changing it. Yahoo may not be the standard in not changing designations, but they are completely uniform and have been for years. It is not Yahoo's job to change the player's designation at this point in the season, if the change was going to be made it had to happen in the preseason. Again, he was drafted to possibly play WR, not sure what the big deal is here. If your individual league has rules against this, so be it. But don't fault Yahoo for something that was clear from day one.
In some cases (my league for example) there was almost no risk in starting Webb. Barring a first quarter injury, there was a very good chance he would outscore every WR in the league this week. There was almost no chance he wasn't going to put WR3 type numbers at worst.Again, this is a flaw in my league's scoring system (again, have tried to change it for years) and the decision by yahoo to give him WR/QB eligibility, not the guy who played him. But considering that the league is just for fun and has been running for like 10 years now, i guess i just expected the guy to take the high road and not exploit an obvious loophole. He chose to play the guy at WR, and it will almost certainly win him the league. If that's something he wants to take pride in, then good for him :unsure:
Not true, there have been more than enough third string QBs that have bombed their first start. Just look at Max Hall this year for AZ, vs Seattle. Webb was in a hostile environment, first start against a better team who had something to play for. Big gamble, that could have ended with Webb going 10/30 150yds and a few picks. Case in point, Favre only had two games where he scored more than Webb this year. So it isn't unreasonable to think Webb would struggle with the exact same team (you could argue a worse team with the injuries to the O-line). The flaw isn't with Yahoo. They are very clear on how they operate. I have had friends/family leagues there for as long as they have been around, and every year I check to see which players are designated for two positions. If you have a problem with it, take it up with your league, not Yahoo. The commish has more than enough power to make sure that slash players are only played at a specific position. That is like complaining that the standard scoring for a league site is flaw if you don't agree with it: if it is that big of a deal, have your commish change it, our league vote on it. This is NOT a knock on Yahoo. The biggest problem I have is people complaining about something that has been in place for not just this whole year, but since Yahoo has had fantasy football. Unless you said something about it week 1, you shouldn't say something about it now. Pretty simple.

For those who are opposed to this: what if Webb had taken just one snap at WR? How about 2? How about half? Where do you draw the line?

If you had the chance to pick him up (which I'm sure you did), it's your fault for getting beat fair and square.

First off....I am not crying. And I did retract and state these things need to be established before the season starts. I am not for any league changing the rules with 2 weeks left. But common sense and lineup integrity need to be above all. Come on guys it's a stinking hobby game we play and yeah some $$ is on the line.

My main point is if he was designated as a WR and is playing QB all of a sudden at the end of the season There must be a way to not be able to start him and another QB. Again double dipping. Yahoo should not be giving him a WR/QB totally wrong. He never took a snap at WR I believe.

Ballsy move to start him. I have no issues with guys who picked him up and started him. My issue is of lineup integrity. Your getting to start 2 QB's. It is not in the spirit of the lineup rules.

Its just not right. IMO.

YOu can spin it anyway you want.

It's still total BS that guys were able to get 2 QB's starting when your lineup only is supposed to have one. And in 2 QB leagues they could have started 3 with Webb.

Sorry...it's wrong.

For those who are opposed to this: what if Webb had taken just one snap at WR? How about 2? How about half? Where do you draw the line?If you had the chance to pick him up (which I'm sure you did), it's your fault for getting beat fair and square.
QB's spread out and play WR in the wildcat.The fact is he did not take a snap all year at WR so he should have been designated a QB only.It's common sense. It was a flaw. And it sucks that the system (Yahoo) allowed for it to be exploited.Win at all costs. Yeah go ahead. That tells me a lot about people.

Having said that, I'm not sure we should be letting Yahoo off the hook. Why the hell shouldn't they change their designations mid-season? You say owners of such players would be "pissed". Well, sure, who wouldn't be pissed if they lost an advantage they previously held?. But that's hardly the standard; as this thread demonstrates, not changing designations pisses off plenty of owners as well.
The difference here is they have it set one way from the start, and everyone started from the same page. It isn't like he was listed as WR, and then changed to QB/WR. People getting upset about it now =/= people getting upset about them changing it. Yahoo may not be the standard in not changing designations, but they are completely uniform and have been for years. It is not Yahoo's job to change the player's designation at this point in the season, if the change was going to be made it had to happen in the preseason. Again, he was drafted to possibly play WR, not sure what the big deal is here. If your individual league has rules against this, so be it. But don't fault Yahoo for something that was clear from day one.

In some cases (my league for example) there was almost no risk in starting Webb. Barring a first quarter injury, there was a very good chance he would outscore every WR in the league this week. There was almost no chance he wasn't going to put WR3 type numbers at worst.

Again, this is a flaw in my league's scoring system (again, have tried to change it for years) and the decision by yahoo to give him WR/QB eligibility, not the guy who played him. But considering that the league is just for fun and has been running for like 10 years now, i guess i just expected the guy to take the high road and not exploit an obvious loophole.

He chose to play the guy at WR, and it will almost certainly win him the league. If that's something he wants to take pride in, then good for him :thumbup:
Not true, there have been more than enough third string QBs that have bombed their first start. Just look at Max Hall this year for AZ, vs Seattle. Webb was in a hostile environment, first start against a better team who had something to play for. Big gamble, that could have ended with Webb going 10/30 150yds and a few picks. Case in point, Favre only had two games where he scored more than Webb this year. So it isn't unreasonable to think Webb would struggle with the exact same team (you could argue a worse team with the injuries to the O-line). The flaw isn't with Yahoo. They are very clear on how they operate. I have had friends/family leagues there for as long as they have been around, and every year I check to see which players are designated for two positions. If you have a problem with it, take it up with your league, not Yahoo. The commish has more than enough power to make sure that slash players are only played at a specific position. That is like complaining that the standard scoring for a league site is flaw if you don't agree with it: if it is that big of a deal, have your commish change it, our league vote on it. This is NOT a knock on Yahoo.

The biggest problem I have is people complaining about something that has been in place for not just this whole year, but since Yahoo has had fantasy football. Unless you said something about it week 1, you shouldn't say something about it now. Pretty simple.
BINGO.

I don't believe that rushing for 75 yds is more valuable than reaching the end zone. Never have, never will.
I don't think a goaline RB who is old and washed up is more valuable then top 20 wr/rb's

For those who are opposed to this: what if Webb had taken just one snap at WR? How about 2? How about half? Where do you draw the line?If you had the chance to pick him up (which I'm sure you did), it's your fault for getting beat fair and square.
QB's spread out and play WR in the wildcat.The fact is he did not take a snap all year at WR so he should have been designated a QB only.It's common sense. It was a flaw. And it sucks that the system (Yahoo) allowed for it to be exploited.Win at all costs. Yeah go ahead. That tells me a lot about people.
I love the moral fantasy football message board police. People who play yahoo have to follow the rules of the system. Your beef is with yahoo and their morals.

Users who are viewing this thread