What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else think that Edge is underrated? (1 Viewer)

lebowski

Footballguy
When I first started my projections I had Edge around RB 15-20. However, the more I look at his situation the more I think I might need to adjust my ranking of him and here is why...

1. He is the workhorse RB in Arizona. Several RB's going ahead of him are part of a committee. This alone probably makes him a steal where he is being drafted right now.

2. Arizona offense should be improved. I know we say this every year about the lions and the cardinals, but this time I mean it. Leinart is in his 2nd year and Fitz should be back. I think this offense should be improved this year.

3. The offensive line should be improved. Last year was a struggle but if you look at his second half of the season last year he was much better. Even with the struggles last year he got about 1400 total yards and 6 TD's. They also have a new OL coach from Pittsburg that should help improve things.

The one concern I have is his career workload and age. I would guess he has two or so productive seasons yet though.

Anyone else ready to get on this bandwagon with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Edge is underrated, but I'm not sure by how much. The average magazine ranking has him at #17, while I would draft him ahead of McGahee, Benson, Jones-Drew and possible Ronnie Brown to land him around #13 or so. I certainly wouldn't mind having Edge as my #2 back and landing him at the end of the 2nd round could be a steal.

I think Edge is underrated, but I'm not sure by how much. The average magazine ranking has him at #17, while I would draft him ahead of McGahee, Benson, Jones-Drew and possible Ronnie Brown to land him around #13 or so. I certainly wouldn't mind having Edge as my #2 back and landing him at the end of the 2nd round could be a steal.
If I picked in the top 3, I'd take edge as my RB2. But if I'm picking at 1.12/2.01, uh no.Edge should see a boost this year, but lets not get crazy. He still plays for the Cardinals. 8 TDs would be a minor miracle.

If I picked in the top 3, I'd take edge as my RB2. But if I'm picking at 1.12/2.01, uh no.Edge should see a boost this year, but lets not get crazy. He still plays for the Cardinals. 8 TDs would be a minor miracle.
In my main league I am picking at the 1.12/2.01 turn and I am 90% sure I am taking Edge. Granted we have a 1-man keeper policy so it will actually be about the 16th/17th pick player-wise in a redraft.I would take him ahead of McGahee, Tjones, Benson, and any WR. I predict he will have an easier time this year as the AZ line play improves.

no one thought for a minute, that the Saints would play in the Championship game last season, and they did.

no one seems to think the Cards are very good. I dunno, I just have a feeling they're going to surprise people this season.

Every year, a team comes out of nowhere to make the playoffs. Not saying Az is the next team to step up like that, but of all the 'lesser' teams, they have the most talent on offense, and with a defense as bad as theirs is, they have no choice but to score a lot of points to remain competitive...

it would not surprise me to see this Az team finish in the top 10 , offensively..

that being said, I think James has an outstanding shot at finishing as a top 10 RB...he's one of a small handful of RB's left that aren't involved in any sort of RBBC..he's almost guaranteed to get 335-350 carries..if he can improve in his ypc average, we're looking at a gold mine of a RB.

Even if that line improves just slightly, Edge's numbers are sure to improve....

he's a safe bet to finish with a minimum of 1200 yards and 8 tds..I'd put him at over 1300 and perhaps as high as 12 TDs. They're going to run him into the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
that being said, I think James has an outstanding shot at finishing as a top 10 RB...he's one of a small handful of RB's left that aren't involved in any sort of RBBC..he's almost guaranteed to get 335-350 carries..if he can improve in his ypc average, we're looking at a gold mine of a RB.
I thought someone had shown that RBBC thing to be a myth for the most part?

And Edge is underrated because:

the Cardinals vastly improved their OL in the offseason?

Or the Pitt guys are magically going to teach the scrubs on Arz's line to open big, gaping holes for an aging back to run through?

just wondering....

AnonymousBob said:
The level to which he's underrated is being overrated.
:confused: Nothing will change the fact that Edge does NOT want to get TD's. He constantly pulls himself out once the all is inside the 10. Agreed that 8 TD's for Edge would be a miracle. TD (very heavy or only) leagues, I'd even favor Shipp over Edge.

Taking over Benson is borderline, as Benson isn't proven to be the guy in the NFL yet, but his situation is a whole lot better. Has a great defense that will have them in tighter games where they run. He also doesn't have a lot of competition from A. Peterson and G. Wolfe. I would say the Chicago O-line is better as well.

I definitely wouldn't take him over McGahee though. Similar to Benson with the D and o-line, McGahee will definitely see a ton of touches and will have better receiving numbers than Benson.

Overall, I wouldn't mind having James as my #2, but if Benson or McGahee are on the board, I take them instead.

How is everyone so sure their OLINE is improved??? They basically replaced Leonard Davis with the rookie. Davis was supposed to be the next dominant Ogden-type tackle when he came out and underperformed greatly. Same for Robert Gallery. Just because they drafted a tackle with their #5 pick doesnt mean that their line is improved.

This is like the 3rd thread started asking if anyone else thinks Edge is underrated. Apparently everybody does.

he's a safe bet to finish with a minimum of 1200 yards and 8 tds..I'd put him at over 1300 and perhaps as high as 12 TDs.
Why is he a safe bet to finish with those numbers? He had 1159 yards last year on 337 carries. That's an average of 21 carries per game. How many more times will he carry the ball? Okay, I'll give you the yardage. Just being run into the ground will get him there (Chester Taylor syndrom). Why in the heck is he going to get so many touchdowns? He has never had more than 13 rushing td's in his entire career. The year Manning went nuts with his 49 td's was due to the fact Edge wasn't getting it done in the red zone. Edge had 6 touchdowns last year. He could quite easily score 8+ but I wouldn't say he's a "lock" for anything more than 3 or 4.

How is everyone so sure their OLINE is improved??? They basically replaced Leonard Davis with the rookie. Davis was supposed to be the next dominant Ogden-type tackle when he came out and underperformed greatly. Same for Robert Gallery. Just because they drafted a tackle with their #5 pick doesnt mean that their line is improved.
Their line was improved the second half of last season. Why wouldn't they be more improved this season.

:shrug: And added Mike Gandy, Al Johnson, and one of the best OL coaches in the NFL. And Deuce Latsui won't be a rookie anymore. And Elton Brown looks to have his weight somewhat under control.

:shock: Nothing will change the fact that Edge does NOT want to get TD's. He constantly pulls himself out once the all is inside the 10. Agreed that 8 TD's for Edge would be a miracle. TD (very heavy or only) leagues, I'd even favor Shipp over Edge.
You go ahead and "favor" Shipp over Edge, but you might want to know that Shipp has scored a whopping "0" TDs in the last 24 games. Edge may not get more than 6-8 TDs but I guarantee that's 6-8 more than Shipp will get.I can't believe how down on Edge some posters are. He may have lost a step but he had a few steps to lose, compared to most other backs. He'll have great year, yardage-wise and will finish in the top 12 for RBs.

Benson's proven nothing. Personally, I might take Shipp over Benson :lmao:

Arizona's offensive line may have improved, but they are still ranked #23 by Pro Football Weekly, so I wouldn't expect Edge to improve very much this year based on his line.

I agree that Edge is underrated this year as well. He will garner an awful lot of touches and he probably can be had in the third round. Whisenhunt may turn Edge into a rock solid #2 for teams this year.

:goodposting: Nothing will change the fact that Edge does NOT want to get TD's. He constantly pulls himself out once the all is inside the 10. Agreed that 8 TD's for Edge would be a miracle. TD (very heavy or only) leagues, I'd even favor Shipp over Edge.
... but you might want to know that Shipp has scored a whopping "0" TDs in the last 24 games. Edge may not get more than 6-8 TDs but I guarantee that's 6-8 more than Shipp will get.
Stats down?
Code:
YR TM G RSH YD Y/R TD TRG REC YD Y/R TD FPT RANK VBD   2002 ARI 15 188 834 4.4 6 49 38 413 10.9 3 179 21 26 [game logs] [splits] 2003 ARI 16 228 830 3.6 0 37 30 184 6.1 0 101 36 0 [game logs] [splits] 2005 ARI 15 157 451 2.9 0 44 35 255 7.3 0 71 48 0 [game logs] [splits] 2006 ARI 15 17 41 2.4 ==4== 11 6 60 10.0 0 34 67 0 [game logs] [splits] TOT  61 590 2156 3.7 10 141 109 912 8.4 3 385  26
Seems like he had a couple last year, including week 16...pretty sure my math says that was w/n the last 24 games.

Benson's proven nothing
Please tell me what Chester Taylor had proven before last year.
Exactly. There's plenty more to add to the list from last year like Frank Gore, or Laurence Maroney, or Jones-Drew, or Marion Barber, or Joseph Addai. The word "proven" is thrown around way too much when comparing players. Proven does not mean better. It just means there may be less risk involved and maybe a smaller standard deviation in projections. Personally I would go with Benson over Edge. There's a world of difference in the o-line between the two teams, plus the Bears will win more games, which equals more ball control to finish out games. Benson will be pounding away his 20-25th carry sometime in the 4th quarter while somewhere across the country, Edge may be running a swing pattern as a check-down when the Cardinals are playing from behind (I think Arizona is a .500 team, or maybe slightly higher). And provided both stay equally healthy, I would guarantee that Benson will score more TDs.

When I first started my projections I had Edge around RB 15-20. However, the more I look at his situation the more I think I might need to adjust my ranking of him and here is why...1. He is the workhorse RB in Arizona. Several RB's going ahead of him are part of a committee. This alone probably makes him a steal where he is being drafted right now.2. Arizona offense should be improved. I know we say this every year about the lions and the cardinals, but this time I mean it. Leinart is in his 2nd year and Fitz should be back. I think this offense should be improved this year.3. The offensive line should be improved. Last year was a struggle but if you look at his second half of the season last year he was much better. Even with the struggles last year he got about 1400 total yards and 6 TD's. They also have a new OL coach from Pittsburg that should help improve things. The one concern I have is his career workload and age. I would guess he has two or so productive seasons yet though. Anyone else ready to get on this bandwagon with me?
? old news. The "bandwagon" has been rolling for awhile now - to the point where he's losing his sleeper status :lmao: Cmon, he got 1100+ last year behind a pathetic line which should be at least a LITTLE better. I think I could live w/him as my RB2.

Users who are viewing this thread